Mobile by Design

At Shockoe, we know that jobs come in many shapes and sizes: Managing a warehouse? Shopping for groceries? On-the-clock or not, work is work. That’s why we build apps that make work easier—so that people can have more time for the things they care about.

Our focus is simple, to create apps that make lives measurably better. From inventory to asset management, mobile workforce, to driving brand and customer loyalty — we cover it all. Our skilled team of developers, designers, and strategist all work to deliver a return on investment, excellent UX/UI, and adhere to best practices in security and reliability. We share one passion: make beautiful and useful apps with great technology.

In short, we're Shockoe. We're mobile by design.

Shockoe

• Large Fortune 500 Energy Corporation
  • A.C. Moore
  • Virginia Credit Union

ONEOK

Moving natural gas hundreds of miles is no small feat. Tracking where your valuable inventory is within that pipeline might be even harder. Thanks to ONEOK’s mobile workforce application, managing energy resources became exponentially simpler.

Virginia Credit Union

When it came to creating a cutting-edge banking experience, Virginia Credit Union knew the importance of offering great mobile tools; an attractive and intuitive credit card management portal is just one of the ways VACU is providing the customer with great digital banking.

Arrow Electronics

Arrow services over 125,000 equipment manufacturers worldwide. This means warehouses filled with electronics, all of which need to be accounted for, picked, and shipped. Inventory management at this scale was prime for mobile to coordinate warehouse operators and supervisors.

J.B. Hunt

Whether its moving washing machines, automotive parts, or widgets, when we set off to work with JB Hunt we knew we had to deliver an app to keep 20,000 employees connected, and the next delivery to arrive on-time.

Southestern Grocers - MyWinn Dixie

Brand loyalty can be tricky when you’re in the business of selling groceries. For SEG, the goal was to keep customers coming back with an improved in-store experience focused on mobile.

Lac-T Herd Management Field Support App

Lactologic wanted to help dairy farmers improve profitability and sustainability all while monitoring herd health. Tethered desktops were no longer delivering what mobile could out on the field. Shockoe delivered the next generation of herd management.

Caribou Coffee App

Caribou was looking to strengthen its customer digital experience without impacting the atmosphere customers came to expect at their stores. Shockoe is working with the coffee shop to continue to evolve is mobile and digital presence. Shockoe continuously rebuilds and releases new enhancements resulting in increased user ratings and usage of the app. This has set the stage for other digital solutions innovations that increase the customer’s engagement with the brand and overall coffee shop experience. As a result of this partnership we have managed to take the app from a 1-2 star app to a 4.5 star app - Customers are more satisfied with the performance and utility of the application inside and outside the store.

A.C. Moore Arts & Craft App

Shockoe created a mobile web application for A.C. Moore employees who previously relied on scanning guns to manage inventory and stock stores. The application is for Android or iOS devices offering increased flexibility along with an intuitive interface that functions quickly on a much lighter device improving employee's efficiency when performing key in-store functions.

Volkswagen SmileDrive Mobile App

SmileDrive is a seamless social driving app that operates in the background when you drive. When Bluetooth is enabled, SmileDrive will automatically detect when your drives begin and end, and record your entire trip. This app has the ability to share details about your trip, including photos taken, within your social network and Google+. Shockoe created an app that can work as the group historian while everyone else in the car has fun on the open road.

Farmers & 21st Century

Shockoe worked with 21st Century (part of the Farmers Insurance Group) to create a mobile app that gives 21st century customers easy access to managing their account and paying their bills.

Valacta & CanWest DHI

Shockoe worked with the technology team at Valacta and CanWest DHI to build a cross platform solution deployed on Android and iOS that allows online and offline access to herd and cow analytics as well as dairy specific data points allowing staff to better manage on-site decisions.

Philips Lifeline

Shockoe utilized Appcelerator to create a cross-platform response app that provides quick access to help at the press of a button for Philips Lifeline.

Anheuser-Busch's Virtual Tour Experience App

Shockoe created a cross platform mobile app for world’s largest brewing company that provided a richer tour experience, drove higher attendance at the St. Louis Biergarten, integrated with Beacons for Tour Specific Augmentation and included food and beer pairing suggestions for post tour information.

Pine Cove

Shockoe worked with the Pine Cove staff to improve the way Parents Invite Family Members to follow kids, Create helpful notifications, share photos and events, share and upload new photos, review staff bios, and see audio and video of camp events.

Mobile App Dev for Large Grocery Retail Chain

"We have confidence that these apps will bolster our mobile initiatives."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

2015 - Ongoing

Shockoe designed and developed three iterations of a mobile app to better serve customers at different banner locations. The apps are for iOS and Android and allow shoppers to earn rewards and clip coupons.

Jacksonville, Florida
Randy Powell
Business Analyst, Southeastern Grocers

All metrics and feedback from users signify a successful and worthwhile application. Shockoe’s versatility is an asset in the app building processes, and they are equipped with a detail-oriented and reliable staff to carry out project goals. They adapt well to frequent and notable software changes.

I'm a business analyst on the IT side for Southeastern Grocers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We planned to build three different iterations of a mobile app to assist customers with their grocery shopping needs at three of our banner stores.

We crafted ideas of our app's ideal design, and Shockoe designed the user journey pages. They conducted a round of testing, used APIs from our internal developers, and gave us a QA build. After our team tested the app, we continued into the production phase. Over time, we have had to make substantial changes to our rewards programs providers, and Shockoe has coordinated the appropriate updates with each change. Our app is accessible for iOS and Android users, and they are able to create shopping lists, view and save coupons, and utilize the rewards system.

Our project manager, Rebecca, serves as our main contact with their team, but she also conducts some testing and troubleshooting tasks. She is the liaison between us and our software developer, the UX technician, and a few designers.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

This proposal process occurred prior to me joining the project, but I believe we sent an RFP to several companies—some within Jacksonville, Florida, where we’re based, and some outside. Shockoe came with the best portfolio and the strongest references.

We’ve spent between $1 million - $1.5 million.

Our engagement began in 2015 and is ongoing.

We receive positive user feedback from our focus groups, and our internal management is just as impressed. Of our roughly 450,000 total downloads, about 40% of our users are on iOS, and the remaining are using Android. We have about 150,000 active users, which we define as four or five uses per month per user. We can track page views and how often they clip coupons, which we also receive revenue from. From these measurables, we can easily determine the benefits to the customer of having a mobile app. We have confidence that these apps will bolster our mobile initiatives.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

We used TFS internally to track the project, but Shockoe was very good about providing detailed reports, as well.

We haven’t seen a lot of turnover with them. Our team has remained largely unchanged. We appreciate that consistency and believe it’s helped our projects succeed.

My only request would be more off-hours support. As it stands, I can only contact the project manager when we have a problem. However, I have communicated this challenge to them and they are aware of my feedback.

iOS Mobile App Dev for University Research Project

"There was a personal investment to make the product great—not just for me, but for everybody that would use it."

Aug. 2017 - Mar. 2018

Shockoe designed and developed an iOS app for a university research project for music students. They conducted interviews to determine ideal functionalities, and they stored research data once complete.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Asst. Professor, University

The app is now being considered for a public marketplace launch on the heels of its success in the research study. Participants found the app intuitive and practical. Shockoe features a collaborative and detail-oriented team. They took ownership of the project and strived to make it unique.

I am an assistant professor in the music department at a public university on the East Coast.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

I hired Shockoe to write code and develop an app that I could use for a research study.

I presented my basic ideas and the ideal functionalities for the app. The app is used to help musicians, primarily students but adults as well, be more efficient in their practice time. Shockoe was valuable in determining the final design and user experience for iOS. We conducted interviews with students that fit the profile of what my research subjects would look like to test my hypotheses and make sure we were building an intuitive app.

Once the app was complete, they put it through the appropriate testing measures. Once I began the research project, I relied on Shockoe to store the collected data on their servers.

Our main team consisted of Rebecca (project manager), Dan (immersive media lead), Justin (mobile developer), and Mason (UX designer). There was also a group behind the scenes that wrote code and assisted with testing, but we met with them less frequently.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

I met one of the co-owners through a family member, and while we talked about work, he said he solved problems using mobile technology, and that always stuck with me. When this project came up, I had difficulty contacting firms that could design an app for a research project, as opposed to a commercial app. I reached out to Shockoe to gauge their interest, and it turned out they have several musicians on their staff. They are not professional musicians, but they were people that could speak my language, and they were excited about the project. They also had experience working with state universities, so they understand that our timelines are sometimes slow-moving. Those aspects combined with the previous examples of their work made them the frontrunner.

We’ve spent between $28,000-$30,000.

Our project ran from August 2017 until March 2018.

The research study subjects have responded well to the app’s usefulness. It’s had a notable effect on their practice routines. Most subjects mentioned they did not realize what their practice habits were until they started using the app. They found it really transformative.

Although the app was designed to collect research data, we are planning to eventually make it available to the public. It is only research-ready at this point, so we have work to do before it is market-ready.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

They developed an extensive project timeline, and we usually met every two weeks—sometimes in person, but more often on a conference call—to receive updates. After each meeting, Rebecca would send me a summary of our current state and the tasks everybody was assigned to.

There was a personal investment to make the product great—not just for me, but for everybody that would use it. That strikes me as unique. They collaborated with me to make the app as good as it could be. They challenged my thought process, and that improved the final product.

I sometimes felt there were too many people in our meetings. That is both because those people are accruing paid hours, and I generally find it difficult to work with large groups. I would prefer to have smaller groups more often and instead save the larger team meetings for the major milestones.

I thought they were expensive for what I asked them to do.

Mobile App Dev for Annual Local Awards Ceremony

“They saved us a lot of time and money.”

Apr. - May 2018

Shockoe developed a mobile app for iOS and Android. Building the front- and backend from the ground up, the app accompanies a large award ceremony by functioning as the event program and guest contact list.

Lindsay Money
Director of Programs, RVATECH

Shockoe delivered a high-quality application that’s aesthetically pleasing and easy to use. Users appreciate the ability to navigate the event floor and find new contacts easily. Their team communicates frequently and provides regular updates. They’re flexible and open to last-minute changes.

I’m the director of programs at RVATECH (Richmond Technology Council). We’re a chamber of commerce for the technology community in the greater Richmond area. Our organization holds roughly 50 events per year for our members.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

With around 800 attendees each year, our annual awards gala is one of our most significant events. We’d usually print all the programs and event IDs, but that became costly in both materials and work hours when multiplied by 800. Being a tech council especially, we wanted to go as paperless as possible. Therefore, we reached out to Shockoe to create a mobile app that could function as the event’s program.

Shockoe asked what exactly we were looking for, but we gave them creative freedom. Considering the event is so large, we just wanted an app that would enable guests to connect with each other as much as possible. They developed the app from scratch for both iOS and Android. We sent them our company’s color scheme and they handled the remaining frontend design work.

The finished product allows users to log-in and connects the app with their LinkedIn account to see a list of everyone attending the gala. The platform includes a list of company tables and their location within the venue. To facilitate this, I sent Shockoe a list of our registered guests, sponsors, and the table layout plan. We’re planning to have them develop a similar app for a large event we’re holding this October.

I worked directly with one of their partners and another resource. Other people worked on the project of course, but I’m not aware of how many.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

They’re a local company that’s been involved with the council for a few years. Their CEO is an active member and the company even won an award a previous ceremony.

This project took place from April–May 2018.

They saved us a lot of time and money. The app was a success at the gala, so we plan to use their services in the near future. I’ve heard nothing but great things from the attendees. They loved the ability to connect with new people and can quickly look them up through the app.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

They were in touch with us constantly. Their team provided updates and utilized video conferences to walk us through each step of the process. Overall, it was a quick turnaround time.

Their ability to communicate is a distinguishing attribute as I was always able to reach them. They answered all of our questions and were ready to make changes at a moment’s notice.

Mobile App Dev for Dairy Herd Health Tracking Tool

“Our partners and stakeholders called the app revolutionary, accessible, and expertly developed.”

Jan. 2016 - Mar. 2018

Using Appcelerator, Shockoe helped develop an iOS and Android app to collect and share information on cows’ health within the dairy production industry. They also provided graphic design and UE services.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Quebec, Canada
Knowledge Transfer Manager, University

Shockoe’s app was praised as revolutionary and highly functioning by stakeholders and partners. Their thorough understanding of the project laid the foundation for an organized and collaborative development process. Aside from weekly meetings, their team was responsive to phone calls and emails.

I am the knowledge transfer manager of a university. I work with a veterinary medicine research group that was looking into a cow disease called bovine mastitis.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We wanted to create a mobile application to facilitate the sharing of our findings to users, dairy producers, and veterinarians.

Shockoe provided the additional expertise necessary to organize the project and help with its development. Their team created the structure of the app, then defined the steps needed to complete each element. They used Appcelerator to produce an iOS and Android version. The platform’s main functionality is a tool that allows users to enter data to be stored in a larger database shared with third-party partners. Shockoe also developed comprehensive and accessible graphs to be featured in the app. Users can access this information via multiple screens and use it to diagnose their cows and decide the best path for treatment.

We worked with a project manager, graphic designer, programmer, and three initial developers.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

Following a referral, we considered their bid along with a few from other companies. Shockoe’s proposal included using the Appcelerator platform to develop the app, which we found very impressive. We brought them on based on their innovative approach to the project.

We spent $330,000 on this product.

The project lasted from January 2016—March 2018.

Our partners and stakeholders found the app revolutionary, accessible, and expertly developed. We hope its user base continues to grow amongst the community of dairy producers.

Shockoe’s organized approach to the project was key to our success. They were not very familiar with cows’ health conditions, but were still able to quickly develop an understanding of our needs and efficiently conceive the necessary functionalities. The team consistently provided valuable suggestions to optimize the app’s user experience and graphic design elements.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management approach was orderly, yet driven. We discussed progress and updates at scheduled weekly meetings, but if we needed to reach them in the meantime, they were always responsive to phone calls and email.

I was most impressed by their ability to quickly and thoroughly understand our needs. This allowed us to swiftly move through the projects initial phases.

They could be more consistent with their billing methods. The gaps in between each bill varied for unclear reasons.

It was a costly project, but we received what we asked for.

Mobile App Dev Projects for Hospital System

“They’re a stable organization that always delivers on their promises.”

Dec. 2016 - June 2018

After an intensive discovery phase, Shockoe developed two iOS and Android apps for different audiences. One app was a digital directory, while the other was an internal communications tool.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Charlottesville, Virginia
Director, Digital & Marketing Communications, Hospital System

Despite notable delays on the client side, Shockoe delivered quality apps on time and within budget. Their diverse talent offered useful insights into the projects, and the team delivered exceptional project and account management.

I’m the director of digital marketing and communications for a hospital system.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We approached Shockoe to develop two apps for us: the first was a customer-facing app that allowed us to move from a paper directory to a digital one; the second was an internal communications app. Although we had an in-house web development team, they didn’t have the time or expertise to build mobile apps, so we outsourced the work.

Shockoe created two apps for iOS and Android from scratch. We didn’t have a lot of experience building apps, so they walked us through what we needed to do. Initially, there was a lot of discovery work. We had meetings up front to make sure that we had the necessary information ready for both apps. On our side, we mapped out all the data to the apps. They then went through the typical processes to build them: design, development, testing, and rollout.

They launched the directory app for us in app stores, and we released the second app internally. At the moment, we haven’t decided whether we wanted to continue building the second app out further or keep it as is. It’s likely that we’ll implement further developments, but, for now, it’s in a maintenance mode.

We mostly worked with a primary account manager who relayed our questions and information to the rest of their team. We also worked with one of their co-founders. As the project went along, we worked more and more with their designer and would occasionally have a developer on call.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

We had previously collaborated with a vendor to build a different app. However, they were going through some severe growing pains and couldn’t work with us anymore. I immediately started looking for developers in the D.C. and Richmond area. After speaking to a few firms, I found Shockoe. The fit was good; they were the right size for us, and I liked that they were only an hour away.

For both projects, including revisions and updates, we spent between $80,000–$100,000.

The bulk of their development work lasted from December 2016–June 2018.

They met the scope and kept to our timeline and budget. On both projects, we had significant internal delays that impacted all of the schedules in place. However, they stuck with us and developed the apps within a reasonable time frame. When the ball was in their court, they really came through.

I also appreciated that their co-founder kept us in tune with some of the breaking technologies such as AR/VR and machine learning. They informed us of different ways we could use our data with our current internal processes. I only have the utmost respect for them and their expertise.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

I would give their account management exceptionally high marks. There was a lot of close communication. We had weekly meetings as well as activities and milestones that we were trying to hit. They also had some tools to manage the project, but I rarely used them. Instead, I would rely on the account manager to brief me via email.

They’re a stable organization that always delivers on their promises. In the past, we’ve worked with other agencies where we had to deal with growing pains, disorganization, and people leaving. In contrast, Shockoe hasn’t experienced any of those challenges; they’ve been able to keep their talent and continue growing. Without a doubt, they’re within the top companies I’ve ever worked with.

No, nothing comes to mind. When we first started working with them, I felt that the founders could have delegated more tasks to their staff, but they seemed to have worked this out. Because the founders are so busy, now, they naturally divvied more responsibilities to the rest of the team. As a result, we’ve had particularly knowledgeable people working on our projects.

Mobile App Dev for Credit Card Portal at Credit Union

"The product is very fresh, unique, and relevant in terms of look and feel and usability."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Shockoe developed a credit card portal mobile application from given wireframes. They provided an agile framework and allowed for edits in real time. Currently, Shockoe is working on phase two of the project.

SVP, Prodcuts & Channels, Credit Union

The completed app was very well received during a usability study, and users are already engaging with the application. Shockoe’s team is flexible and always responds to requests in less than 24 hours. They stay on top of the latest trends and deliver unique and high-quality products.

I am senior vice president of products and channels at a credit union.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We were trying to find a solution that would allow our members to access their credit card information digitally on mobile phones and desktops. The solution needed to have robust features. We already had a mobile app, but our credit card functionality was limited. We were looking to enhance our existing mobile app.

We visited Shockoe and pitched the idea of building a credit card portal for our members with very loose wireframes. The portal should allow a member to single sign onto and the portal should be responsive in design, meaning it should work on a mobile device and a desktop.

Shockoe was very attentive and listened to our needs. Several days after our meeting they had very rich, high-quality wireframes and wanted to make sure that they had our vision outlined properly. Their speed was great and it continued throughout the project. We were very shocked when they gave us an eight-week delivery estimate and then hit that deadline.

I really liked that they were agile. We would evaluate the wireframes and tweak them in real time as they designed various phases of the solution. They came on site and took in our feedback in real time. Then, they would come back a couple of days later implementing our feedback.

Our goal was to have a credit card portal that was unique in both user experience and user interface. Shockoe delivered an ability for credit card users to turn their cards on and off, to do balance transfers, to report their card lost or stolen, to see their credit card interest rate, to see their next payment due date, and to see their next payment amount. We're working with them right now in a phase two to add transfers, history, and travel memos.

We have one project manager, one developer, and one designer.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

Years ago there was a mobile meet up meeting in Richmond that I went to. I saw the CEO talk about mobile development technologies and since then, I always had them in the back of my mind. Internally, we had some capacity challenges in terms of development. So, our team decided to go see Shockoe’s office since they are local. After we met, it was a perfect fit.

North of $50,000.

We started working October 2016 and the relationship is ongoing.

30 days after our launch, without promotion, we had 1% of our card users adopt the service. We were impressed because we didn’t market the app, so this meant that existing users knew where they could find the new features and then engage with them.

After we launched in April we did a usability study with some members and the app was very well received. When we presented users with future features and functionalities they seemed very excited. So, the app has been well received overall.

How did Shockoe perform from a project management standpoint?

Shockoe is very efficient and very flexible. If we needed to update a wireframe, we worked in real time on a phone call or email. They always respond within 24 hours. They have been very responsible and on time, and they stayed in scope.

They say they're mobile only and they stick to that. Because of that, they’re very strategically focused, which allows them to do more and stay on the cutting edge. They stay on top of the latest trends.

Overall Score They truly approach the project as a partnership.
    We were meeting them within a day of first contacting them. They are very prompt.

App Development for 21st Century Insurance

"They really take the pain and a lot of the challenge out of mobile development."

Shockoe used the Appcelerator development platform to a deliver a native app for a large car insurance company. Shockoe performs annual updates, which have continued to increase UX and functionality.

5001 - 10,000 Employees

Philadelphia, PA
Robert Flanigan
Mobile Program Manager, 21st Century Insurance

Shockoe’s expert code, QA testing, and industry expertise took the app to a higher level of professionalism. Their project management kept the work humming along with regular meetings and short sprint cycles. Even a critical eye could find nothing wrong with their service.

21st Century Insurance is a $2 billion auto insurance company that sells directly to the consumer; we have no agents. We are also owned by Farmers Insurance, which is an $18 billion insurance carrier, which is an agent company. I’m the web and mobile program manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

The mobile app that we are currently in the process of updating is actually in its sixth year. We've gone through multiple versions, or iterations of it, both for iPhone and Android.

We're currently working with Shockoe as our mobile developer, which has worked out extremely well.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

We develop on the Appcelerator platform, which basically enables companies to build native apps across devices, to build some commonality so that the app will perform 100%, regardless of current models. We had worked with Appcelerator in the past, for their developers, but we just felt that we needed someone better.

Actually, Appcelerator stopped developing on their end, so they kind of forced the issue where we had to find a third party developer. They had offered three names. I talked to two or three of them and made a decision to go with Shockoe based on the conversations we had, their website, their experience, and the fact that they had been developing for close to six years when we picked them. I think it was a wise decision, and I know we're very happy and very impressed with the work that they do.

How much have you invested with Shockoe?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000. We do one to two updates every year; it just depends on the cycle. The updates are based on organic needs. There were improvements that could be made to the app that we opted not to make on a previous version due to cost and to keep the project small enough so that we can get it done. Certainly, the inter-operability and communicating with our back-end systems, create an impact when you make a change on the app, so that helps guide what we can do sometimes with a current release or not.

It's an ongoing engagement.

The releases have been pretty significant in terms of improvement, in terms of look and feel, and user interface. Since the first release that Shockoe did for us, we've had really great feedback from our customers. We haven't had any major issues that I'm aware of with bad user experience, which is what we were experiencing previously before we started utilizing Shockoe.

It's not only the quality of their development effort and their quality assurance but also their industry knowledge and their general expertise in the mobility field that has helped us leapfrog from going to an app that works on, I'll say 80% of the devices and operating systems, to close to 100%.

What did you find most impressive about Shockoe?

Shockoe is very dedicated to mobile and they're very attentive. They're very communicative and have very good project management and development skills. Because they're doing this remotely, we have weekly or bi-weekly meetings, and they have different sprints, where they have a deliverable, we review it, and towards the end, we'll start testing. A couple of us will download the app on our devices or in a test environment and start looking at it.

Shockoe's understanding of mobility is extremely good and very, very strong. They really take the pain and a lot of the challenge out of mobile development because from my experience, mobile is not easy. I should say everything mobile is not easy because of the number of operating systems, the number of devices, number of device models, and the rapid development that exists. You have the smartphones, tablets, and of course you have desktops, so there's that transition from your desktop website to the mobile app.

There's a lot of thinking that goes into the user experience and a lot of transitions that have to be made to make sure that it's a very comfortable and positive user experience.

Are there any areas Shockoe could improve?

If they were located a mile away, that might make it easier. They've done a very good job working remotely; I have no problems really at this point, and I'm a pretty critical person. Things have to be done to perfection. We're in a regulated industry. If there are issues, they're very public. Of course, my team and I have to address them.

To be honest, we really haven't had any significant problems working with them. I think the first project was a little bit of a learning curve but it was just that they didn't know our company, and that would be true for anyone. I really can't say that's a negative; that's really part of learning as two companies start working together. You have to learn each other's business and how you operate.

Overall Score We've had nothing but great success working with them. They're professionals. They're good at what they do. They're nimble and responsive. I think they communicate well.
    Only because of the logistics. We're busy here and probably the challenge is more on our side as the customer. We're so engaged in many different aspects of mobile and web. We're stretched, we're a big organization.
    They have gone a little higher, but in all fairness, we can probably attribute this to all the changes that we made on our end. On the first version, I think we went a little higher but they stood by their price, which I have a lot of respect for.

Development for Christian Summer Camp

"Shockoe is one of the best contractors we've used over the years."

Shockoe completed the frontend development of a dual-platform app initiated by a previous contractor. The scope included resolving a range of issues and improving its performance and visual appeal.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Dallas Metro Area
Director of Analytics, Christian Summer Camp

Shockoe successfully launched a 2.0 version of the app that facilitates more interaction and longer engagement than the previous version. The team cared about their work, offered valuable suggestions based on personal experience, and was genuinely invested in the project’s success.

Pine Cove is one of the largest Christian summer camps in the world. We have around 35,000 guests each summer, plus another 35,000 who come to us during the rest of the year.

I am the Chief Analytics Officer in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We needed to create a way for parents to see what was going on in camps and remain involved in the experience of their children, understanding what is happening and receiving daily pictures and videos of them. We wanted to create an app that would allow parents to become a part of the experience. We'd used a contractor prior to Shockoe, and also have an in-house software team who handles much of the backend work. Our scrum team does a lot of the heavy lifting, but we also needed someone who was very good at frontend development for Android and iOS.

We had started developing the app using Appcelerator Titanium. Shockoe helped us take the work done through our previous contractor, making it perform better and cleaning it up. There were many issues with which we needed assistance, so we needed an expert in the field, like Shockoe, who could expand our work.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

We had been talking to an Appcelerator representative, which was the platform used by us in order to write native applications through a centralized tool. We asked that person about the best developers in the business. He recommended a couple of companies, and we went through an extensive interview process, actually giving $10,000 to $15,000 test projects to both candidates. I liked the work put out by Shockoe. They had a great interaction with us and were easy to work with. We decided to select them for the bigger project after a few months of watching them write code.

The development cost with Shockoe for 2016 is within the six-figure area.

The version 2.0 of the app has been launched. Our plan is to continue to use Shockoe, unlike our previous contractor. We plan on having them build the iPad version of the app within the next few months, as well as working on improving what we currently have.

We're very satisfied with Shockoe. We've just launched their version of the app. For the version published in 2015, we received 22,000 downloads for both the iOS and Android versions. We're hoping to dramatically improve that number, not just in terms of downloads, but also as high-level interaction. Users are sharing pictures of their children through the app, and receiving letters from camp which were written on physical paper. There is more interaction than what Facebook or Instagram could offer. Users care about almost everything which is delivered to them from the app, instead of being moderately concerned about people from their high school. It's not only a matter of downloads, but it's also a question of engagement. We've had users who kept our app open for as much as 4 days, refreshing it constantly. It was important to make sure that it would work for such extended periods.

We haven't yet gathered significant statistics because, at the moment, the app is quite fresh.

What distinguishes Shockoe from other providers?

Shockoe's developers and their Chief Executive Officer care about the work. When the team is making suggestions based on their personal experience, they become more than a contractor. It's a unique situation to find a contractor that is willing to get in the same boat as the client, instead of simply charging for the work. It was great to hear suggestions from developers that resulted from conversations they had with their wives. They definitely bought into the project with us.

Is there anything Shockoe could have improved or done differently?

No. Shockoe is one of the best contractors we've used over the years. We pay many people for various services, so this is even more significant.

Overall Score I feel that Shockoe has done a great job.
    We have been behind on one deadline, but it wasn't the fault of Shockoe. There was some scope creep at one point, so I couldn't blame Shockoe for our decision to add features at the last minute.
    Shockoe was right on budget.
    Shockoe is fixing things and working on items which we didn't even consider to be issues. They've cleaned up code, making it perform faster, without being asked.
    I've already referred Shockoe to people.

App Development and Training for T-Mobile

"Shockoe knows very well how to speak to their clients, either highly technical or no technical expertise at all."

June 2013 - Dec. 2013

Shockoe provided training for T-Mobile USA in how to use the Appcelerator development platform. Shockoe also built an app for T-Mobile USA staff to use in stores, plus other curriculum apps.

Bellevue, WA
Gary Richardson
Curriculum Manager, T-Mobile

Although the intended audience did not adopt the apps and the Appcelerator program was dissolved, Shockoe did great work and delivered a solid product. Responsive and organized, Shockoe excelled at managing the client relationships and keeping the project on the rails.

We are T-Mobile USA. We are the number three wireless company in the United States, selling products and services, from devices to rate plans.

I'm on the sales and training side of things. My group trains on devices and systems for the retail organic stores.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

Initially, we were put in contact with Edwin Huertas, the CEO of Shockoe, to do some training for us. Being a wireless company, you would assume that a lot of the training and information that we share with our groups would be done through mobile – through phones or tablets. That had not been the case for many years. We wanted to dip a toe into mobile app development. The idea being that we could package a lot of our training in the form of an app, send it out to our field, and they could take that on their personal devices or on demo devices in the store.

We made a partnership by which the Shockoe team would create some of these templates for us so that my team could go into the Appcelerator software and plug and play new content or graphics and produce an app very quickly without needing to know much code. We leaned on Shockoe heavily at that point just to be able to leverage the Appcelerator software.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

We had done some research and had purchased software through Appcelerator and Edwin happened to be our trainer. They sent him out to teach my team how to leverage the Appcelerator software, and he spent a good week with us. During that week, he realized we didn't know anything about coding and things like that. By the end of the training, I discovered that he owned Shockoe.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative?

Our partnership went through the latter half of 2013 and cost somewhere near $300,000.

Our relationship has since dissolved because the apps that we were producing and the metrics that we were getting back showed that our associates were not really leveraging them in app format. Our associates were still going to the traditional computer training. We decided that the cost benefit analysis was not matching up. We halted our Appcelerator license and dissolved any of the mobile app stuff we were doing. But, I would say that we did have some initial success when the apps first started going out. I can't put any numbers around that.

What distinguishes Shockoe from other providers?

Many times when you're dealing with a vendor, they have a certain kind of template in that you need to follow their process. With the Shockoe team, it was extremely open and organized. They knew what they needed to get done and by when. They knew what they needed from us and what we needed to learn. They were very structured but they were so incredibly flexible. Edwin Huertas realizing that we were all very novice at all of the coding very quickly had his team tailor their messaging and communications to us. Shockoe was also very flexible in terms of making changes. T-Mobile is renowned for making changes at the last minute. They were very flexible with that. I know there were often times where they worked many hours of which we were never charged. Often with vendors, you can't do maybe more than one or two projects at a time or they lose their bandwidth. With Shockoe, that didn't seem to be the case. There always seemed to be some new programmer that was able to help us out.

As we decided to go from just apps to creating a game on one of the tablets, they were also able to help us with that in parallel with the work they were doing with our training template. Shockoe knows very well how to speak to their clients, either highly technical or no technical expertise at all, and always are very responsive. Never did we have a question that wasn't answered within 24 hours.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

We really didn't run into any issues with Shockoe. They were extremely patient even when it came to payment. T-Mobile is renowned for being very late with their payments and that could have been a point where they may have stepped away from us, but they did not.

Overall Score Fantastic.
    We did hit some challenges. That was really no one's fault.
    Always stuck to the estimates.

App Development for Dairy Organization

"Shockoe has gone beyond what we had asked for in the development of the application."

Shockoe used the Appcelerator platform to build native iOS, Android, and Windows apps for a dairy industry organization. They provided both design and development alongside an in-house team.

Montreal, Canada
George Clyde
IT Manager, Valacta

The app is well used among the client base. Although they could improve their testing process, Shockoe met their commitments and went above and beyond the original requirements. Their expert guidance on best practices was a strong contribution.

Our company is in agriculture, in the dairy industry specifically. We service about 75 percent of the dairy farms in Canada.

My position is IT [information technology] manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Shockoe?

We were looking for someone to help us in the development of our first mobile application.

For what platforms were you looking to develop the app?

We wanted to choose a platform for development that would allow us to deploy to Android, iOS, and Windows phone environments. We actually went out and chose a platform for development called Appcelerator, and that was our first phase in our development plan.

How did you come to work with Shockoe?

We first spoke with Appcelerator to find out what firms they have dealt with in the past. They gave us names of a few firms that they were aware of and had worked with. We actually spoke to a few of those firms, and we chose Shockoe because we were very impressed with how quickly they grasped what we were looking for as far as an application goes, and their commitment.

Shockoe seemed to be very interested in working with us, and they were very professional in the way they conducted themselves when we were going through the process. We asked for references, and the references that we got were very high. Those were our main reasons for choosing Shockoe.

It was a $50,000 to $200,000 partnership. I should add that we have continued to work on other phases of that application with Shockoe, so they're still with us. We're using a hybrid approach. We have our own developers here working alongside Shockoe on the work we're doing. We're also looking at other major projects, and Shockoe is being seriously considered to be the consulting firm that we work with.

The results have been excellent. In the dairy industry in Canada, there are hardly any mobile applications available. We're one of the first companies, with the help of Shockoe, to make an app available to our clients. In Canada, there are roughly 11,000 total dairy clients, of which around 9,000 are with us. From those 9,000 clients, we have 1,600 clients that are using the application. If we compare that to other services that we offer, that's pretty high.

The results, the comments, and the remarks that we got back from our clients have been very positive. I should add that when I mentioned we have 9,000 clients, not all those clients actually are in possession of a smartphone, so they don't even all have the possibility of using the application. If you consider which clients really have the ability to use the application, you're looking at somewhere around 60 percent of our total clientele. So, the percentage of clients that are using our app is pretty high.

What distinguishes Shockoe from other providers?

Shockoe is very easy to work with, and they're very committed. They get back to you right away. They provide a very good service. They meet their commitments as far as the estimations that they give. They've been right on with what they've given us, and there haven't been any surprises in what they've done for us.

Shockoe has gone beyond what we had asked for in the development of the application. They added in features that we didn't even think of, or ask for. They're also very good on the design side. We were coming from a Web central C-#, .NET environment with no mobile expertise at all. Shockoe really helped and guided us in the design process for our application, and I think it's been a success. Our clients are very satisfied with the application.

I don't think so. They could probably take more advantage of some of the tools that are offered directly from Appcelerator, but that may be because they know better than to do that, I don't know. The other thing – and this could fall with them and us – I would probably like to have a better process as far as testing goes.

Everything else has been excellent. We haven't had any problems with the app. It works very well, but there have been some minor modifications that have been necessary to make. That's due to testing, and that could be from both the Shockoe side and our side, but I'm really grasping at straws to find some things that they need to improve on.