Turning bright ideas into digital realities.

SEMbyotic is a digital marketing agency providing website design, digital marketing, SEO, social media, content development, digital strategy, and pay per click advertising (PPC) services to businesses.

San Jose, CA
  • SEMbyotic
    177 Park Avenue Suite 200
    San Jose, CA 95113

Multiple Web Strategy Designs and Developments for Consultant

"I continue to use and recommend SEMbyotic with my clients."

2016 - Ongoing

Deployed to assist a marketing consultant, SEMbyotic worked on several web design and development projects, some of which were from scratch. They used WordPress, Drupal and custom databases.

San Jose, California
Sole Proprietor, Consulting Firm

SEMbyotic's experience and knowledge enabled them to understand business objectives, strategic, and tactical guidelines. These insights have allowed them to create unique websites that will allow clients to achieve their goals. They provide ongoing maintenance for multiple sites.

I am a marketing, brand, and communications strategy consultant. I work with clients in Silicon Valley and around the world on branding, communications and go-to-market strategies. I also author articles, documents, and websites to support marketing and PR objectives.

What challenge were you trying to address with SEMbyotic?

Primarily, I brought them in for assistance with web strategy design and development. That’s a big part of what I've done with them.

I’ve worked on several products with SEMbyotic. Our projects include websites that are designed from scratch as well as redesigned. Sometimes, what starts as a redesign is actually going back and starting from scratch, rather than redesigning. My experience with SEMbyotic includes wireframing, sketching, and outlining long before code gets written. These are not things that get done in weeks, if you think about the process of going through the wireframing, design, and everything else. That then goes back to the company, which is usually the slowest part because companies often have lots of reviewers. Lots of time is spent actually with the company, considering what's been put in front of them, and then asking for revisions and changes. I don't know all the technologies that they employ, but I know for a fact that they work with WordPress, Drupal, and others, as well as doing custom database work. I'm often less interested in the how than the result.

How did you come to work with SEMbyotic?

I had worked with SEMbyotic's President long ago at Lumileds, a company that we were both at. That’s how I knew of them.

How much have you invested with SEMbyotic?

I've deployed tens of thousands of dollars to SEMbyotic for various projects, either for myself or on behalf of clients. I don't know the total amount, but if we're just talking about a website project, it is usually in the $20,000–$25,000 range at the very low end. A more normal cost would be in the $40,000–$60,000 range. Again, it completely depends on the project, objectives, company, scope, and scale. Websites don't come in at a fixed price since they have a scope and scale that determines what has to be done.

There's a huge range on the timeline. A website that's fast-tracked, if it has any complexity to it, would last at least two to three months.

They are fantastic to work with. SEMbyotic’s depth of knowledge and experience helps me work with my clients on how a website could accomplish their goals. A lot of the time, people have an idea of what they think they want, but they're not actually familiar with all the possibilities. SEMbyotic is good at fleshing out how the web might work for a company or objective and providing development strategies to make that happen.

I continue to use and recommend SEMbyotic with my clients and for my clients. Because of their retained experience, I know that SEMbyotic continues to have an ongoing relationship with the clients that have used them to develop their sites, either through me or in other ways. However, based on my clients, I don't have a way to quantify performance data that I'm not necessarily privy to.

How did SEMbyotic perform from a project management standpoint?

They have performed really well. I've worked jointly on projects with them, and timelines are adhered to. There may be delays on the client’s side in reviewing material, but that gets incorporated into the timeline. SEMbyotic is good about outlining what's going to take place in a project and how long it's going to take.

SEMbyotic has several tools they use for communication and project management tracking, which sometimes depends on what the customer is using. But in my role, I am in face-to-face meetings or joint working sessions with them on a regular basis, so I'm less on the tools.

What did you find most impressive about SEMbyotic?

One of the things that differentiate them is they don't just come in and execute a requested website. They try and understand the business objectives, offering strategic and tactical guidance to the company on how that might be achieved with the web. That may include search engine optimization, links to social, links to backends that they have, etc. They offer more than just simply saying, “Sure, we’ll program your site.” After years and years, they're my go-to company for web stuff, so I feel good about where they are.

Are there any areas SEMbyotic could improve?

As a client, you always want things to happen quicker. They could have more graphics support, but they do provide a fair bit at present.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with SEMbyotic?

Clients need to be clear on what their objectives are for the site and how it's going to be managed over time—because that becomes a backend interface question. They also need to specify how the site would be updated over time and how they want to measure success going forward. If they understand all those things going in, they'll have a better experience with whoever they select.

That has become the heart of so much of our relationship.
    They provide good value, but they're not the cheapest.
    Every engagement I've had with them is done on time and on budget.
    Very likely. I do it all the time.