Digital products design and engineering

Selecto is a company transforming the way people interact with each other, treat themselves, entertain, and do their business.

As the design-thinking is a core tenet of our work, we keep our customers in the center of everything we do. We don’t follow the established patterns, but we create the new ones, explore, learn, iterate, prototype, and iterate again to tailor the product to the human needs.

Lviv, Ukraine
  • Avenida Victoria, San Clemente
    Los Angeles, CA

Startup and Established Business

NDA Image Recognition Product

Imagine that you like the suit your friend is wearing. What if you could make a photo of it, and immediately get the suggestions where to buy the outfit at an affordable price? Or, let’s say, you are preparing for an exam and want to know more info about the image you saw in a book. You just take a picture of it and get all the available details online — videos, articles, etc. Exploring the world around is easier with Image Recognition App. It leverages human and machine intelligence allowing you to discover any object in real-time and find it online just in seconds. With the help of the app, every user can share his/her findings, connect and follow other searchers, bookmark the items one loves, and even set reminders.

NDA Blockchain Network Case Study

The social media mentioned above is the first blockchain-based social hub that enables every network member to control his/her personal information. Moreover, it provides multiple options for the content monetization. Our principal role was to develop a new backend and frontend, enhance the platform’s functionality, and improve its usability. From the outset, we did research and analyzed all the popular social media to define the product roadmap. The major peculiarity of the platform lies in its focus on cryptocurrency. All its tools are tailored to the needs of crypto lovers. The distributed network gathers all the necessary information in one place  — user can choose how their info is used and which platforms to interact with, get news on the latest updates about cryptocurrency market, become a member multiple groups, join various bonus programs, monetize the posts, and many more useful features.

The entire platform redesigned in 6 months, 20% conversion rate after the...

Realforce Case Study

If we were asked to describe the work on this project in one word, it would be simplicity. The Realforce team approached us with a very specific problem  — how to improve UI/UX and make the content-heavy system look clean and logical? Well, that’s exactly the type of issues we love to tackle. First and foremost, we dived into the piles of data, examined how the systems works, figured out how to reduce the information and simplify the way it was displayed.

MsFit Case Study

Women in Saudi Arabia were not allowed to practice sports anywhere except their homes. That’s why the Ms Fit’s founder Yousef decided to address this challenge and reimagine the way Arab women take care of their physical well-being.

The Selecto’s mission here was not only to present clean and intuitive design but to create an entirely new product from scratch.

Roundlaw Case Study

Selecto set out to create a beautiful and intuitive website aimed to engage the users and provide them with the memorable and positive experience. Working alongside with Liza and Roundlaw team, we designed a brand-new platform with a robust backend, user-friendly workflow, motion graphics, and a wide range of functions that match the customer needs.

Diprella Case Study

Today there are plenty of platforms offering online courses and professional development on the market. But there is no online platform in Ukraine that can provide practitioners in different domains with the tools allowing them to share their knowledge, keep track of their teaching process, and connect with the student all over the country. Facing this problem as a lecturer, Diprella’s founder and CEO Ivan was passionate about finding a solution.

The question was how Diprella could cover all the needs of both students and lecturers and at the same time, remain user-friendly and accessible. Moreover, what will make it unique and competitive? Our team got an answer.

Full-Cycle Development for Educational Platform

“Whenever we encounter a challenge, Selecto helps us find the right solution.”

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

In addition to providing business and market analyses, Selecto serves as the main development arm for an educational platform. The product enables users to tailor their learning experience with various tools.

Lviv, Ukraine
Co-founder, Educational Tech Startup

Internal and external stakeholders have responded positively to the platform’s user-friendly interface. Despite the project’s complexity, Selecto consistently suggests creative approaches to improve the platform. Their business acumen and technical expertise help make them critical partners.

I’m the co-founder of an educational tech startup. We’ve created an attractive, easy-to-use platform that consolidates the most convenient knowledge sharing tools into a single product.

For what projects/services did your company hire Selecto?

We conceptualized a web-based education platform that allowed professionals from differing fields to conveniently share their expertise. Because we lacked an internal development team, we needed resources to build the platform.

The biggest challenge was figuring out a way to combine the various technologies into a single product while still being appealing to users. We wanted to make sure that the platform could cover both user and lecturer needs. Moreover, the product needed to be user-friendly, unique, and competitive.

Although we researched similar Ukraine-based digital companies, Selecto had several advantages. Not only did they excel technically from a UX design, frontend, and backend perspective, they also had exceptional business analysis skills. Most of all, they understood our idea and were passionate about it.

Initially, they helped us identify a direction for our product by focusing on the end-user experience. This involved using mind maps to visualize business scenarios, performing market and user research, creating user journeys, and applying design thinking approaches. They then developed the platform from scratch, built an intuitive design, and implemented it into the product.

The platform allows users to conduct and attend courses. By using a wide range of knowledge sharing tools (e.g., text, images, videos, webinars, conferences, discussion boards, tests), users can personalize their education to suit their learning style. Currently, the team is still developing and testing the platform.

They’ve assigned a project manager, a business analyst, front- and backend developers, UI/UX designers, and testers.

Selecto created a convenient, logical platform with a beautiful interface; we’ve actually received offers from other companies to buy the design. Although we’re still in the early stages of the project, we’ve received positive reviews from testers, and users are eager to hear more about our service.

I enjoy collaborating with Selecto, and they’ve become invaluable partners. The entire team is actively engaged in the project, finding exciting ways to improve the site and implement our services. In terms of communication, we’re in constant contact with them. Professional and easy-going, they always act quickly to address any concern.

I appreciate their level of support and engagement. Because they have experience developing educational technologies, they understand how our product should look. They refine our ideas and make them even better. Whenever we encounter a challenge, Selecto helps us find the right solution.

No, nothing comes to mind. They always strive to support their customers, and we’re happy to work with them.

Mobile App Dev for Female Fitness App

"Users love the design, the idea, and the way it’s presented—everything."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Selecto built 2 iOS mobile apps and a web interface, starting from a basic idea. They educated on dev process and UI/UX, added media content, and created a CRM. They'll develop the apps for Android soon.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Founder, Smart Touch

The app’s 27,000 users give it a 95% satisfaction rating and love the concept, design, and UI/UX. Selecto treats business partners like family, taking the time to patiently explain each step in the process. They take a thoughtful, straigtforward, and collaborative approach to ideation and strategy.

Smart Touch LTD is a fitness mobile application that provides personal trainers and general membership with food and diet meal ideas. It also includes more than 12 levels of programs geared specifically for women who want to lose or gain weight at the beginner or intermediate level. I’m the owner of the project.

What challenge were you trying to address with Selecto?

I needed an app developed, but I don’t have any development resources in-house.

My expertise isn’t in development. I had an idea and a business model, and I wanted to create an app for it. They explained the whole process, like how to create an account on Apple and how UI [user interface]/UX [user experience] design works.

They created a website for the admin area, a mobile app for users, and another mobile app for trainers. They started with a prototype, and said if I accepted the prototype, they would move to UI and UX. If I accepted that, they would move to developing, then testing, then release. They did everything from scratch.

The apps are available on iOS and web interface. Both apps are launched, and I am now starting to contract with them for the Android version.

The content they added to the app includes tips, articles, and videos, and it took a long time. We have more than 100 exercise videos. They also created a new CRM [customer relationship management].

There were 5 or 6 people working on the project, including a sales manager.

How did you come to work with Selecto?

I went to a conference in Ukraine and collected many business cards from companies in Kiev. I looked into 3 of them, and they were all the same: They didn’t care. I didn’t really know what I was doing or exactly what I wanted, so I needed someone willing to teach me or give me some background about development. These companies weren’t interested in helping me move forward.

I searched online and found Selecto, and I talked with the sales manager, Ruslana [Business Development Manager, Selecto]. I told her my situation and other companies’ responses and asked if they could help.

I spent $35,000.

We started working together in December 2016, and the apps were completed in March. I added more features for personal trainers, which we completed in August. They are still working with me.

I now have 27,000 users with a conversion rate of more than 2%. Selecto has great designers, and the users love what they did. Our admin side includes customer satisfactions stats that show 95% of our clients are satisfied. Overall, 5% say it’s bad, 20% say it’s OK, and 70% or more say it’s awesome. Users love the design, the idea, and the way it’s presented—everything.

Selecto not only did their assigned work, they also thought through other aspects of the project with me, like customer segment strategy. They did that well, and it was very helpful.

How did Selecto perform from a project management standpoint?

They work in sprints and are usually on time. They plan things 2 weeks out and decide who will work on what. They call me on Skype every day to keep me updated, which is great.

Their project manager was great, and I asked to use the same one for Android. Unfortunately, she isn’t available, but they have so many, I know I’ll be able to find someone else.

They treat their clients like family. If you don’t know something, they can explain it. If I want to do something, and they think it’s a bad idea, they will give me their advice and share why they think it will hurt my project.

All of the other companies want to just receive the requirements and do the project. Even if the requirements are stupid, they will do them without pushing back. They don’t want to invest a lot of time in the relationship.

I appreciate what Selecto does and I feel well cared for. I like that they don’t just sell apps, they take the time to educate. In addition to the app they created, I now have more familiarity with how the development cycle works, how a team functions, etc. I had no knowledge and they taught me everything. They’re very patient.

The sales manager was also great about payments.

No. Even if there is a problem, I simply contact them about it, and they fix it as soon as possible.

Overall Score I appreciate what they do for me. They do a good job.
    I contacted many other companies, and Selecto’s price surprised me.
    I have already recommended them.

Website & Bot Development for Innovative Tech Company

"They were always on time, and their project management is perfect."

June 2015 - Ongoing

Selecto assisted with the development of a legal resource website, managing all backend and admin tasks as well as page and banner designs. They now assist with AI bot creation and social media content.

Geneva, Switzerland
Elizaveta Uvarova
Founder, Tech Vanguard

Since its soft launch 2 months ago, the MVP already has achieved a 35% conversion rate. Selecto’s consistent performance, competitive price point, and “out of the box” market knowledge continue to promote a strong relationship.

I’m the founder and CEO of Tech Vanguard. It’s a Swiss company focused on different types of new ventures in multiple industries.

What challenge were you trying to address with Selecto?

We are using on a worldwide project for the legal market called Round Law. We are trying to disrupt the industry by creating a website which provides users with quality lawyers online, as well as interesting tools utilizing artificial intelligence. I was starting the project with my own money and wanted to find a team to create an initial version for market validation, after which I could hire in-house developers.

Selecto was hired to develop our project. I was able to give them my ideas and have them come up with solutions beyond just UI and UX. Compared to Indian companies, for example, Selecto’s team thinks outside the box. If I get the chance to keep them in-house somehow, I will. They’re the perfect team.

I only had an idea in the beginning. We would be working with top lawyers, so everything needed to be perfect, from the logo design to the mailing system. It needed to be innovative but conservative at the same time.

The team handled all of the backend and administrative work, as well as landing page and banner design. They’re preparing all of our social media pages as well.

They’re now working on another product and the team will create all iOS and Android designs for that.

How did you come to work with Selecto?

I wanted to work with an outsourced company for cost reasons. I’m Russian/Ukrainian and went to visit my grandmother in the country. Someone recommended Selecto to me, and I visited their office. They have a nice team; everyone speaks English, and they’re smart and able to provide what I need.

How much have you invested with Selecto?

I have gone through many projects with Selecto over the years for various presentations and products. I pay them around $40 per hour, and the total will be around $50,000.

I started working with Selecto in June of 2015. I will continue to use them on an ongoing basis since I’m extremely satisfied with the team.

We have had a 35% conversion rate since the first test in March of 2017. We needed a soft launch to attract lawyers since that’s what the product relies on. We launched an MVP and have continued to work on the final product.

Selecto has been almost like an in-house team but outsourced. They love what they do, which shows in the work. It’s not just about money. Selecto gives me the best solutions, corresponding to our budget and situation.

They have also worked with one of my partners, an independent consultant in Switzerland, on two separate projects, which have had great results.

How did Selecto perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always on time, and their project management is perfect. Selecto uses tools like Asana, Slack, and InVision which are useful for the process. We also communicate through Viber and WhatsApp. I’ve never had to push the team. They were always on time and had high performance.

What did you find most impressive about Selecto?

I’ve had very bad experiences working with Indian developers, and I’m glad I found a team that speaks great English. Selecto is a young team, so they may not work the same for everyone, but I’ve had a perfect experience.

I have worked with many production companies in the past, and it was a hassle. We needed to figure out what was in clients’ heads when they couldn’t properly explain what they wanted. What’s great about Selecto is that their designers are highly knowledgeable about our market. Instead of them drawing precisely what I told them to draw, I could sit down with the team, answer thousands of questions, and then proceed with the design. The work is smarter as a result.

For example, I used to have credit cards and bank account numbers as payment methods. Selecto told me that providing a bank account was not necessary since every lawyer had a credit card. They also suggested that I provide companies with the ability to register multiple lawyers at a time. They are like an in-house product management and development company.

Are there any areas Selecto could improve?

I speak Ukrainian, but I also speak English during certain conference calls. In order for Selecto to be treated like an international company, they need to perfect their English fluency.

Overall Score I have changed 20 teams over the last five years, and Selecto has been the best.
    They push the client to deliver, even integrating my Google Calendar into the schedule. Many times, we had pages ready but not the content. Selecto told me whenever a deadline would be missed because of me.
    They’re worth it, and I wouldn’t want to pay them any less. I want to hire the team on a permanent basis.
    I have referred Selecto to two friends.

Branding & App Design for Healthcare Startup

"Selecto gave us different options and allowed us to decide based on time and cost factors."

Sept. - Nov. 2016

Selecto designed the UI/UX of a lifestyle app to ensure a neutral, stigma-free look and feel. The team also provided branding services, proposing product name variations with a humanitarian focus.

Lenzburg, Switzerland
Alex Schneider
CEO, LIFE4ME+

The newly launched app supports users in 156 countries through a UN initiative. Throughout the engagement, Selecto’s professionalism, creativity, and logical designs added value and innovation to the complex product.

I am the owner of several organizations, including a small company in Geneva working with the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). I also run other companies doing work in the harmonization of health standards all over the world. We work with groups in Brazil, Russia, and the US. We have adopted Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards for work inside other countries. We have a seven-person team for content production and other related work. LIFE4ME+ is an app aimed at HIV-positive people.

What challenge were you trying to address with Selecto?

At the beginning of our project, we needed design services in order to build a user interface and understand how the application should look.

Selecto has provided branding services for us and also helped us choose the name LIFE4ME+. They gave us a number of possibilities for naming the application, and we had many conversations on the subject.

We gave Selecto the specific task of creating a neutral design, without any stigma for HIV-positive people. It couldn’t have any bright-red buttons, for example. Our target users needed to understand what the purpose of the application was (which is where the “+” in our name comes from), but it also needed to look like a general lifestyle app to anyone else. Selecto achieved this well, creating designs for our interface and user experience. They created a logical way for users to interact with the application and the more than 100 screens within it.

Selecto also helped us put together a script for a video and recommended a production company for it.

We worked with between three or four people from Selecto’s team. General designs can look good, but they don’t always translate into functional programs. We had conferences involving our own employees, as well as the teams from Selecto and Onlinico, our developer. We also had meetings with Selecto’s team alone and kept in touch with them on a daily basis.

How did you come to work with Selecto?

We looked at many companies, and it proved difficult to find a really good one. We were willing to pay, and it was important for us that the job be done in time and by experienced people, not recent university graduates. I had a few conversations with providers but didn’t get a good feeling. I eventually asked Onlinico for a recommendation since they were a good partner for us. They also use partners for design and recommended one which they thought to be very good, Selecto.

How much have you invested with Selecto?

The cost of Selecto’s work was below $10,000.

We started working with Selecto in September of 2016 and completed in November.

The application was released on the 31st of January, 2017, and is currently available in 156 countries. It’s mainly available as a paid product, but we also wanted to make it free-of-charge for countries like Ukraine, Estonia, Armenia, Kenya, and so on. In order to achieve this, we needed to make a copy of LIFE4ME+ for those particular areas. The free version will have its own design and logo so that it will be associated with its particular markets. We plan to pursue this new project with Selecto and have them identify a new style for these countries.

We have just launched the apps, so we still need to collect data around them. It's important that we reach patients and doctors around the world. We have had discussions with the governments of Uzbekistan, Armenia, Russia, and Estonia. They are interested in buying licenses for our solution. The app is available in 156 countries through the UNAIDS program.

How did Selecto perform from a project management standpoint?

Selecto could be reached 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We visited their office in-person and also communicated through WhatsApp and Skype. Resource management was split between our teams, but the last word was ours. Selecto gave us different options and allowed us to decide based on time and cost factors.

What did you find most impressive about Selecto?

They are able to deliver on time. We have worked with another designer from Moscow and always saw deadlines being pushed. Selecto also has a very young and creative team. They were willing to discuss the work with us, provide many ideas, and brainstorm. They speak English, Russian, and German, so their language skills are very good. It was a very comfortable collaboration.

Are there any areas Selecto could improve?

It would have been nice for us if Selecto was able to produce videos since we wouldn’t have had to contract with another company. They can, to an extent, but not at the level we needed since we required a producer, a professional camera, lighting, actors, and so on. Selecto isn’t focused on this niche, though. They have created a website for their company, and Selecto also has a new office, so they’ve improved on these fronts.

Deadlines were good overall.
    The cost was good.
    I have already referred Selecto.

Mobile Dev for Local Consumer Rewards App

"I was blown out of the water by how communicative my project manager was."

July 2016 - Ongoing

Selecto designed and developed iOS and Android apps. The app provided loyalty programs to businesses and involved numerous backend functions and a user-friendly interface.

Edmonton, Canada
George Visan
Founder, Sprout Rewards

Selecto offered agile service at a great rate. Their resources had significant expertise in their fields; their passion for the work was clear. Their efforts contributed to the app’s high retention rates.

My company is Sprout Rewards, and I’m the founder. It’s a mobile application that gives local businesses the service of customized loyalty programs and offers them customer referral programs within their business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Selecto?

My need was just the development of the app. The cost here in Canada was extremely high, and having a native app built for both iOS and Android would have cost about $200,000.

I had a couple mockups and iPhone vectors, although the actual application didn’t follow them. I had an idea, and I worked with Selecto to define it. In the beginning, it was defining, from an Agile development standpoint, how a user was going to complete tasks using the app. We went through it with a fine-toothed comb.

They have an iOS team and an Android team, so they built together. Each release to me, separated by two weeks, involved different aspects of the app, from your home page to the different functionalities it provided. They also had designers and a backend dev team. So, the scope was the definition of the product, building it, and then testing it, which I approved before sending any payment. They also did a landing page for me.

How did you come to work with Selecto?

I used Upwork and interviewed several companies. Selecto was the most communicative, and they offered a good price point.

How much have you invested with Selecto?

I’ve spent about $16,000-17,000 CAD [approximately $12,000-12,700 USD].

The project began in July of 2016 and is complete. We are going to be working on app updates which weren’t part of the initial agreement, so the relationship is ongoing.

My retention rate is 87% on Android and 65% on Apple, but I think that has more to do with the value the app provides. People find it quite easy to use from a UI standpoint, which contributes to user engagement. What they built contributed to that retention rate, but it’s more a correlation rather than a causality.

How did Selecto perform from a project management standpoint?

I was blown out of the water by how communicative my project manager was. That made the experience for me something built on trust. I never hesitated or doubted their skills because of how meticulous she was. I was a little disappointed when she was moved to a different position. The new project manager wasn’t good at replying to my emails at first, but that’s gotten better.

We communicate through Skype, and all Agile development definition goes through Asana.

What did you find most impressive about Selecto?

I find it very valuable that the members of their team each have tasks they’re very good at. They have an iOS developer, an Android developer, a UI/UX designer, a graphic designer, and a backend guy. I like the focus they provide in each one of those categories.

They seem to be very creative and passionate about what they do. If I give them full creative control, I’m happy with the results. I don’t have to add changes to the UI/UX.

Are there any areas Selecto could improve?

Their pictures on Skype look like stock images. When I first started talking to their team, I wasn’t sure if they were real people. I recommend they put a bigger focus on creating a culture for themselves and having more photos of their team.

It would be a 5 when I was working with the first project manager, but a 4 with the current one.
    They’re much more cost-effective than hiring a local agency.
    I got a product that worked the first day. They made sure any bugs were fixed before launch.
    I did refer them to a friend, and they’re now working together.

Augmented Dev for GPS Tech Startup

"Working with Selecto was easy and smooth."

July 2016 - Ongoing

Selecto developed a web platform in PHP and JavaScript to track assets via GPS.

Munich, Germany
Consultant, GPS Tech Startup

Selecto perfectly delivered the platform that was asked of them. Their communication skills and reliable contact were features of the collaboration.

I am a consultant for a German startup working on technical projects involving GPS tracking.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Selecto?

We were looking for a partner who could build the internet platform used for tracking our machines and assets through GPS.

Selecto developed our web-based platform using PHP, JavaScript and other technologies. The project had two steps, the latest one taking place in 2017, and each one involving two developers. Our communication was done through Skype, and I served as the only contact from our side.

How did you come to work with Selecto?

We looked at different companies on Upwork and contacted Selecto because they'd worked on projects similar to ours.

The cost of Selecto's work has been around $7,000.

We started working with Selecto in July 2016. The first project ended in September. We started a new phase in January 2017, which was completed two weeks ago. We plan to use Selecto for our next step, which will begin in a couple of weeks, depending on our budget.

The platform for tracking our systems was done perfectly. The only changes were based on changing customer expectations.

How did Selecto perform from a project management standpoint?

We worked with a project manager who coordinated our two developers. The communication was done exclusively through Skype and phone. We had daily calls and kept in constant communication.

What distinguishes Selecto from other providers?

Selecto keeps in touch with the customer. They were always willing to fix any bugs or issues identified in our system at no additional cost.

Is there anything Selecto could have improved or done differently?

Not at the moment.

Overall Score Working with Selecto was easy and smooth.
    The results are dependent on the accuracy of our requirements. If all points are described in detail, Selecto's work will be perfect, otherwise, they will have an 80% success rate.
    I have already done it.