Technology Simplified

Company Overview

From San Diego to London we design and develop best-in-class web and mobile applications for clients from growing startups to the largest enterprises. We are an industry-leading mobile and digital agency on the forefront of technology—our team specializes in full-stack development and we are experts in user experience design, web and mobile applications. We work with brands from many different industries including healthcare, hospitality, and automotive. When a client partners with us we get to know their business and their customers, and intimately craft custom software solutions that provide cutting edge experiences and produce value for your customers and your business.

Services

Our capabilities include full stack design and development for web and mobile applications. We are industry experts in cross-platform development with Xamarin, user experience design, user interface design, development of native mobile applications, Javascript web applications, beacon implementation, digital healthcare software, and highly scalable cloud service architectures using Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.

Do you have an upcoming project? We design, build, and maintain mobile and web applications for today’s demanding users.

2008

Consumer Goods: Coca-Cola

Finance: Capital One, Connexions Loyalty

Connected Devices: Thrive, Dizzy Doctor, Ketra, Include Fitness

Ongoing Dev Engagement for Marketing & Advertising Firm

"They have a unique value proposition where they have both UX and development, internally."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Seamgen lent strategic guidance on an existing consumer rewards management solution. The project team then prototyped a corresponding native version, designed the UI/UX, and now focuses mainly on new features.

Richmond, Virginia
Vice President, Product, Connexions Loyalty

Transparency and attention to detail are two major highlights. Seamgen's resources aren't afraid of challenging existing corporate norms or processes, especially in an attempt to refine the user experience and prevent unexpected mishaps.

I’m the group vice president of brand marketing, product, and UX [user experience] at Connexions Loyalty. Our company is in the business of consumer rewards program management. We manage programs or facets of programs for some of the largest financial institutions in the world as well as major airlines and hotel chains.

What challenge were you trying to address with Seamgen?

The original reason we hired them was because we were looking at some innovative ways to bring our capabilities to market, most specifically as it relates to native application design and development. Internally, we didn't have the skill set to develop native applications for mobile. I can tell you that from a pure process and productivity perspective, the biggest reason we looked outside our own company was to expedite and speed that process up. We also had no intention of absorbing the permanent cost of hiring full-time resources.

Seamgen was technically involved in two projects, but all of their work was related to one end deliverable. In the first part of the project, they facilitated a discovery phase where we had a list of concepts on which we were looking to get independent guidance. We wanted our ideas to be winnowed into something we believed was going to bring value both to our clients and the end consumer. Seamgen came on-site and facilitated quite a few conversations with different stakeholders around questions like, “What are you trying to accomplish?” and “What are your capabilities?”

They did market research associated with some of those concepts, and then came back and presented a few product concepts for a native application that would solve some of those problems. From that point forward, they put a bid in for what it would take to develop the actual concepts. We wanted to sort of separate the two parts of the project. We decided to have them do the technology development on the concept we created, and they’ve been involved in the functional and visual aspects. They managed the entire user experience design process as well.

The number of their resources fluctuated. In the early stages, particularly during the whole concept development phase, they probably supplied 3–4 resources. In the development phase, they added project managers and more junior UX developers, etc., so it might have scaled up to 6–8.

How did you come to work with Seamgen?

Seamgen wasn’t the only company under consideration for this project. We looked at a handful of others, all located within the US. One might have been local, but most of the others were located throughout the US.

How much have you invested with Seamgen?

All in, I'd say we’ve probably invested between $500,000 to $600,000.

We officially began to work together about 2–2 ½ years ago. While 2 years probably sounds like a long time, the majority of that time was spent on our process of getting things approved and going through a couple of stage gates, budget cycles, etc., to get to that next level. By no means did Seamgen drive that timeline.

Our end goal was to bring something valuable to the market. To keep us on track, they would say, “Hey, these are the goals and things we decided were going to be valuable. That decision—what you’re asking of us—conflicts with the charter we put in place for success.” They brought a different perspective to the table, which was a big reason why we were looking to go outside the company in the first place. That’s something we got from them. It’s hard to say they’re a “value,” because the project isn’t complete yet. But based on what we’ve experienced so far, I feel like we’re getting what we paid for.

How did Seamgen perform from a project management standpoint?

They run an Agile development shop. Their experience in running projects and having experienced DMs running them was something we were attracted to, and they delivered seamlessly. We used Confluence, JIRA, and some InVision tools.

What did you find most impressive about Seamgen?

One of the main things I appreciate about them is their transparency and specialized attention. They’re not afraid to challenge you or your corporate norms. I also think they have a unique value proposition where they have both UX and development internally. That’s something that separates them from a lot of pure development shops.

Are there any areas Seamgen could improve?

One of the things—and this is an industry-wide debate—is that the UX team and the development team could use a bridge. I come from a product background, so maybe I'm leaning this way. But just in my interactions with them, I think the UX teams specifically could use more of a product owner DNA. While we are technically the product owner, the type of experience we hired Seamgen for is to develop a native app. It would have been useful to have someone on their side who plays a product owner role and has experience with developing native application products. I don't know if that’s common or not. While we technically played that role, I don't think we had the right experience level. We probably could have benefited from some guidance on how to prototype things and how to make sure what we were really building was going to deliver.

Overall Score I have already recommended them a couple of times, and I’m more than willing to do it again.
    They’re in San Diego so they tend to be pretty pricey. They’re certainly higher priced than our internal rates. They were nowhere near the lowest price, but I don't feel like they’re overcharging us.
    I think their work is high-quality.

Prototype Dev for Social Lifestyle Startup

"[Their] team is responsive and has been able to overcome some big obstacles."

Sep. 2015 - Ongoing

Seamgen redeveloped an existing mobile app for iOS, improving the backend performance and streamlining the UI/UX. Assigned engineers now focus primarily on bug fixes and new features.

Founder & CEO

While it's too early to share illustrative end-user metrics, Seamgen's developers did successfully implement a novel Instagram API that produced significant cost savings.

We have created a mobile application that helps users discover trending people and places by leveraging publicly available content from Instagram, and generating a real-time photo map. I am the founder and CEO of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Seamgen?

We had built an alpha application a few years ago, for which we did a small market test. We needed to build a more robust and refined version of the app.

Seamgen rebuilt our iOS app from the ground up, without using any of the existing code. The goal was to give the app more overall consistency, instead of building on top of what we already had. In addition to this, Seamgen came up with ways of optimizing the performance and making the app more user-friendly. From a UX perspective, they've done a great job; the app feels very intuitive.

Our target market is geared towards young crowds, namely 18–24-year-olds. Many of the UX interactions, as well as the app's personality, needed to cater to that demographic. I'm glad that Seamgen was able to stay ahead of the trend, especially considering the gesture-based interactions (there are no back arrows in the app, for example).

Seamgen assigned eight people to our project, including a project manager, a UX/UI designer, backend and frontend developers, as well as other resources which came in as needed.

We were in contact with the team on a daily basis. One of the reasons for wanting to work with Seamgen was that they are a local firm, near to our office. When describing abstract interactions, it's often easier to do it in person. We were coming up with many ideas as we were considering designs and how to move forward with UX pieces. Being in the same room for the back-and-forth interactions led to many organic ideas which greatly improved the experience.

How did you come to work with Seamgen?

We were looking at two other developers, trying to determine which one could best improve our experience and make the app better. It didn't seem like anyone understood what we were going for, but Seamgen came up with a nice design proposal. Their approach made sense to us.

How much have you invested with Seamgen?

The cost of Seamgen's services has been around $200,000 so far.

We started working with Seamgen at the beginning of September 2015. The collaboration is ongoing.

The app has recently been launched. We're getting feedback from users, but don't have many data points yet.

One of the metrics of success that we've been using is the Instagram component. There have been some recent changes to Instagram's API that consequently made our app's integration very difficult. We have achieved our functionality in a novel, never-been-done-before way, which required a lot of creativity. When we were designing the app, at one point, the only feasible way of doing the integration would have increased our server costs by tens of thousands of dollars on a monthly basis. With some inventiveness, Seamgen was able to integrate our Instagram component and minimize server costs at the same time.

How did Seamgen perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management was quite easy. Seamgen is located close to us, so much of the work was done in person, but also through an online management space. I was hands-on with the project, recording videos of the app and discussing them with Seamgen's team. They were always very responsive.

What did you find most impressive about Seamgen?

I haven't worked with many other app development agencies, but I've noticed an emphasis on user experience from Seamgen’s team. We already had an application in the app store when Seamgen reached out to us, proposing to make it better. Their framework for doing so was approaching it from a UX perspective, refining and improving the app through an in-house specialist, something I had never tried before. This approach really made our app better.

Are there any areas Seamgen could improve?

Seamgen could work on estimating the time scope better for some pieces. Technology is hard to estimate exactly. Seamgen’s team is responsive and has been able to overcome some big obstacles.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Seamgen?

When working with development agencies, there can be a bit of a communication breakdown, which is the nature of programmers in general. I'm not a tech person, so the process can be like speaking two different languages. I've noticed other people saying similar things when working with developers, so I'd recommend finding a common ground. We were able to find our own language for discussing abstract concepts within the app, as well as bugs or improvements. Being as specific as possible is important; if there was a bug or issue I wanted to point out, I would record myself physically interacting with the app.

Timing could be improved.
    Seamgen gave us a great deal.

Team Augmentation for National Telecom Firm

"They’re essentially an extension of your staff trying to please you as a regular employee, which is a great thing."

2014 - Ongoing

Seamgen's engineers joined an internal software team responsible for upkeeping an existing web app. Node.js and Angular.js are used extensively to build new features and enhance design elements.

Carlsbad, California
Director of Service

Assigned resources are always well versed in Agile development and need very little guidance or oversight. They can also adapt rapidly to changing project circumstances/requirements, again demonstrating exceptional situational flexibility.

I’m the director of service at a satellite network operator as well as an engineering firm for the satellite industry. We work on a wide range of industries and verticals, everything from government to commercial, and in commercial, from residential to enterprise. We’re a publicly traded company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Seamgen?

We hired Seamgen as an extension of our own staff for web development. We were looking for developers to build a Node.js-based solution and the customer facing frontend for our satellite service.

We had a big development burst in the beginning, and then we’ve maintained the work for about  2-years, adding new features from time to time using Node.js. Seamgen built a lot of the new features and also handled the creative and template design, the initial Node.js skeleton, and the frontend and backend development. They used AngularJS to develop the frontend user interface.

How did you come to work with Seamgen?

I introduced Seamgen to our company because I knew of them through a peer of mine who recommended them highly. We then vetted them through some of their other client references. We use Seamgen across the company as an extension of our own dev teams. I’ve integrated them into my team and they’re involved in all of our sprints.

How much have you invested with Seamgen?

I’m not comfortable disclosing that. I don't know our internal policies regarding that information. I can tell you it was a significant chunk of work.

We’ve been working together for about 2-years, and we’ve kept multiple staff on to maintain the products.

They enhanced the web presence of our service, which seriously impressed our executive team within about 12-weeks. It was a big mind shift for our executive management.

How did Seamgen perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a time and materials engagement with Seamgen, but we have pivoted multiple times. They’ve been accommodating every time we’ve pivoted. Project management-wise, they’re essentially an extension of your staff trying to please you like a regular employee, which is a great thing. They also integrate perfectly into our existing processes, which are slightly different for our development of JIRA. Seamgen also works with us if we want to rotate or change staff, or if we want to make accommodations, augment, or mentor their staff into the level that we expect from our contractors.

Internally, we use JIRA, HipChat, Git, AngularJS, Express, and several different database technologies like MySQL and DYNAMO. These guys are well versed in all of that. I heard that someone else internally bid them on mobile platform development, so I know they have a lot of mobile background experience, but I can't attest to that development.

What did you find most impressive about Seamgen?

A primary reason why we chose Seamgen is that while they have user experience on staff, they are not a branding house gone web. They are a web engineering house through and through. That’s a big distinction in this industry. Seamgen fully respects that we’re part of a large company, and we can’t change the brand. They just want to engineer good web apps, and that is their strong suit.

Are there any areas Seamgen could improve?

I think, overall, they are on the smaller side of companies, with only about 50 employees. With that, you do have to be cognizant of not being able to shed or gain tens of individuals. To me, that’s the only pitfall I have with Seamgen; I can't do that big burst or that big decline in staff with them.

Having definitive requirements always accelerates the process, especially with Seamgen.

Overall Score Seamgen is the dream contractor. They’re collaborative. If we find a problem with staff, they rotate them out quickly; they’re interested in staffing problems. Overall, they’re one of the best contractors we’ve had.
    They’ve put in some good overtime for me.
    Their invoices are clear; there’s never a question about over or under billing.
    Definitely. I’ve referred a lot of other people to them.