A lot of software. But not a lot of money.

Save-On-Dev designs and builds digital platforms and software that help organizations engage customers, differentiate their brands, and drive revenue growth. Our customer experience designers, software engineers and data experts partner with clients to develop roadmaps that identify ongoing opportunities to increase the value of their digital products and services.

Through agile development of minimum viable products (MVPs), our clients can test new ideas in the market and continually adapt to changing business conditions—giving our clients the leverage to lead market disruption in their industries and compete more effectively to drive revenue growth.

Freelancer
Honolulu, HI

Mobile App Dev. for Hiking GPS Navigation

"They’re good at accepting feedback, modifying the plan, and making it work as they go."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Using a MEAN stack, SaveOnDev is developing Android, iOS, and mobile apps to synchronize stored mapping data with real-time GPS information.

Portland, Oregon
Founder, Mapping Company

The team is responsive, receptive to new ideas, and adjusts to changes well—all of which help reduce workload. While creativity can sometimes be lacking, their expertise in development across multiple platforms is always apparent.

I’m the owner of a company that develops mobile software for outdoor recreation.

What challenge were you trying to address with SaveOnDev.

We were expanding our software to cover the web and wanted to create a mobile app for Android and iOS for offline outdoor navigation. We needed to redevelop some things from scratch using third-party libraries.

I provided them a few wireframes when we got started, but they took the lead. The mobile app stores maps and content so that users can access them in the outdoors where they may not have cell reception, but do have GPS coverage. The web component syncs the information to allow users to plan their hikes.

They utilized a MEAN stack to build the app, meaning they used node.js and the MongoDB database, as well as some other frameworks.

We have an overall development manager who I work with most of the time. There’s also a lead in web development, an Android developer, and an iOS developer.

How did you come to work with SaveOnDev?

I connected with them through Upwork while searching for contractors.

We’ve invested about $42,000.

We began working together in October 2016 and the engagement is ongoing.

While the app is still in the pre-beta stage, they’ve made progress and address any issues with the platform. They’re good at accepting feedback, modifying the plan, and making it work as they go.

How did SaveOnDev perform from a project management standpoint?

I haven’t had to do much to manage the project since a lot of the workload has been taken off of me by our primary development manager. We usually communicate through Skype and occasionally through email.

They have experience in both mobile and web development, as well as key connections with subcontractors in those areas.

On the web side, the programmers could invest a bit more creativity in problem-solving.

Have as much of the specifications in the division of the project ready in advance. It really helps.

Mobile App Dev. for Improving Voter Participation

"Everyone loves the way the app looks and feels."

October 2017 - Jan. 2018

SaveOnDev built an iOS and Android app that helps millennials stay informed on issues they care about, while providing information on how and where to vote. The development included S3, frontend, admin, etc.

Belmont, California
Russell Glass
Founder, Votergy

The app has a great design and was built cost effectively. The team's ability to ask questions and understand the user is superior, and their response times are consistently fast. Utilizing a copyeditor for text from non-native English speakers on their end would be useful.

I'm the Founder and Executive Director of Votergy, a nonprofit with a goal of increasing the voting rate of millennials.

What challenge were you trying to address with SaveOnDev?

We were looking to build an app for iOS and Android that could basically store the emotional energy of millennials and release it at the polls. As millennials are concerned about issues throughout year, the app should be designed to help pledge to vote to address those issues and get information needed to register to vote and show up to the polls.

SaveOnDev took my simple sketched wireframes and added an element of depth, turning them into fully graphical and clickable mockups that we were able to iterate on from there. They then moved into development, which has included Amazon Simple Storage Services (S3), the frontend, admin, etc.

I had one primary point of contact.

How did you come to work with SaveOnDev?

I'm on the board of another company called the SmartPitch that had worked with SaveOnDev and given them a glowing reference.

We've invested about $20,000.

been working with them since September or October, 2017, and will continue to work with them as we iterate on the completed code.

Everyone loves the way the app looks and feels. The relationship with SaveOnDev has been a very professional and great experience. They've done the job cost effectively.

How did SaveOnDev perform from a project management standpoint?

SaveOnDev is great at communicating with consistent and fast response times. We mostly utilized email and Trello to collaborate.

They put a heavy focus on product management and are able to bottom out the questions needed to understand who the user is and what the user experience should be like before going into development.

Some of the text for the app came back grammatically incorrect, so we had a number of iterations on copy. Having developers who are more proficient in English could be helpful. Other than that, I've been very pleased with their work.

Do a great job with your user quotes and wireframes and really think through what you're trying to accomplish before you start development.

Web & App Dev Assistance for Financial Services Company

"Every time things get stressful, they’re very calm and get us through the problem."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

SaveOnDev serves as a financial services company's technology partner. They initially built a new version of a web platform, and later continued to fix bugs, migrate data, and address emergencies.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Founder & CEO, Financial Advising Company

SaveOnDev's single-contact management system makes communication easy, and their coolheaded approach has guided the company through several challenging situations. The agency's affordable pricing and knowledge of multiple technologies are also strong assets.

I’m the CEO and founder of a company that produces financial advisor software with a la carte solutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with SaveOnDev?

Price and functionality were challenges we were trying to address. We had an extremely expensive local software developer that we had been using. It was a proprietary platform and it was also pretty difficult. It was not going to be feasible for us to continue to use that platform. SaveOnDev allowed us to outsource to a variety of offshore developers that have solved those problems.

SaveOnDev performed a number of tasks. They fixed the bugs in the software and they migrated the former company’s development environment into a new platform. They also rebuilt the app from scratch. It has allowed us to continue to develop at a much lower cost.

Whenever problems arise, they’re responsive and able to fix it. We have the basic same underlying stack, but they fixed a lot of the problems we had along the way. Though I’m not aware of the technologies, my understanding is whatever stack you’re using, they can get a solution for you.

I mostly interacted with the team manager and we would speak at least once a week.

How did you come to work with SaveOnDev?

They were referred to me by my former mentor. We looked at a couple of other outsourcing solutions before deciding on SaveOnDev.

We have invested about $25,000 with SaveOnDev.

We started working together in December 2015 and the work is ongoing.

They helped us navigate a number of pretty hairy situations. We were on a different server platform and migrating off of that was extremely difficult because we didn’t have access to the server platform ourselves. It was done by the prior developer. SaveOnDev worked with them to get us off of that. It was not an easy task.

How did SaveOnDev perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. I have a single contact, Efi [Senior Technical Project Manager, SaveOnDev]. He is very responsive, accessible 24/7 and I don’t have to deal with anyone other than him.

They were very responsive and the price was good. Every time things get stressful, they’re very calm and get us through the problem.

No. They’ve delivered on everything they said they were going to do.

Do you have any advice for potential customers who decide to work with them?

I recommend them. Just be clear in articulating what your needs are and what your current stack is and let them chop it for you. As an outsourcing tool, it’s much better than going directly to a development firm. We’ve done that with a firm in India and without having somebody to act as the intermediary, it was a disaster.

Overall Score They’re extremely responsive and they deliver on what they say they’re going to do.
    They’ve saved us a fortune.
    I do it all the time.

Mobile App Dev for Pitch Speed Tracking Platform

“They delivered on everything.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Working from existing UI/UX designs, SaveOnDev built a pitch speed measurement app for Android and iOS. They were responsible for back-end development, testing, and launch.

Hartsdale, New York
Charles Richard
Founder & CEO, Smart Pitch

Users loved the app's fluid interface, and it presented few major technical issues. SaveOnDev embraced a proactive approach to collaboration, communicating frequently and implementing feedback. The agency's solid coding skills, flexible management, and affordable prices made a good impression.

SmartPitch LLC developed an app for the iPhone, and soon to be on the Android, that converts a smartphone into a precision speed gun for baseball and cricket for pitching and hitting. It provides pitching speed and exit velocity and launch angle for hitting. I am the CEO and co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with SaveOnDev?

Radar guns that are used for pitch speed measurement cost $1,000 or more. We wanted a low-cost alternative using smartphones that everybody already has. We built a proof of concept model and we engaged a design with a UI/UX firm to help us convert the proof of concept into a commercial level product. When we finished that, we had a complete design and the workflows laid out. We wanted to make the app available on the App Store and the Google Play Store, so we hired SaveOnDev to convert the existing design and UI/UX into a production app for both iOS and Android.

We needed them to write the app so that it would run smoothly and so that we could do some shared testing with them.

We continually interact with only Efi [Senior Technical Project Manager, SaveOnDev]. We communicate by phone and by email. He has a team of developers. Based on their names, I believe they are based in Vietnam. Once in a while, we’ve engaged with them through chat sessions, but we never engaged with the developers directly.

How did you come to work with SaveOnDev?

I started out using an online outsourcing company. I posted the project to be bid on and I received six responses. I found one that looked promising and they listed a reference company. I called the CTO of that company and he said they were the worst people he had ever dealt with and they had almost ruined his company. I asked him if he had any suggestions for anybody better. He told me they used SaveOnDev. So it was a direct recommendation from a CTO who had used them after a bad experience with somebody else.

We have invested $20,000.

We started working together in April 2017 and the work is ongoing. SaveOnDev contacted me about potential future work helping with our website and marketing. They quoted an interesting price that I think once we get up and running would be attractive. It looks like they’re expanding their services into website development, hosting, and marketing assistance. I’ll be interested in examining that with them when we get to that point.

It was a very soft launch on our part. We’ve had about 1600 downloads without any marketing or advertising. People are very pleased with the interface that SaveOnDev implemented. The iOS application is on the App Store. The Android is held up due to technical issues with the cameras outside of their scope. SaveOnDev has written all the code for Android and it works. They delivered on everything. I’m quite pleased.

How did SaveOnDev perform from a project management standpoint?

It was important that we have a cooperative arrangement. This was not a turnkey solution where we gave them the project and told them to give it back to us when they completed it. We wanted to be engaged in the testing because it’s a difficult app to test. It has to be tested with live pitching or hitting. We worked out a system of working with Bitbucket and their repository. They would commit a code. We’d test it and submit a list of issues that needed to be fixed. They’d fix it and put the new version up on the repository. It was very iterative and worked really well. I knew if I gave them changes, their Vietnam-based team would start at night and the updates would show up in the morning. They were very responsive in that pattern. We had a lot of back and forth.

They’re very professional. My CTO examined the code and he’s very impressed with the flexibility and the way they wrote the code to make it easy for us to expand and change it in the future. I’m impressed with the professional quality of what they do and the ability for it to be a base for us to do future work on it.

The way I specified the contract was to get the apps into the App Store and the Play Store. When it came to describing our working relationship after it was in the App Store, they were very clear that they would provide 60 days of changes and updates at no additional charge. We’re still in that period and I found that to be a very good arrangement. We’re a very small company with a very small budget. I certainly find SaveOnDev’s rates very competitive.

I don’t believe English is Efi’s first language. Sometimes we’d have to clarify for understanding, but it was minor. I wanted someone who had very reasonable rates, and if they were going to use Vietnamese contractors and he himself was not based in the U.S. and that helped keep costs down, I was perfectly willing to accept that. It was not a problem.