Designing and developing elegant web products.

Who We Are

Savas Labs is a highly-skilled team of designers, developers, and consultants who build elegant web products. We care about code quality, designing for the user, and above all partnering with our clients to solve interesting business problems through first-class technology solutions.

What We Do

Strategic planning. We turn organizational data into actionable information. These insights help us plan projects with respect to both design and technical considerations that will deliver for both your business and your users.

User Experience & Visual Design. Understanding user needs is paramount. Prototyping early helps us build the right experience for your users and we leverage a scalable system design approach in the user interfaces we craft.

Custom Application Development. Extensive experience in back-end and front-end development frameworks like Drupal CMS, React, PHP, Python, and Javascript allow us to tailor appropriate technology solutions for our clients.

Collaborate With Our Clients. Our team places emphasis on sharing knowledge — both with our clients and with one another. Team members are immersed in projects and ultimately act as an extension of our clients’ teams.

Durham, NC
  • 201 W Main Street, Suite 100
    Durham, NC 27701

MIT Press, Omega Institute, Duke Today, Hunter Boots, UVA Darden School of Business, Wisebread, Harvard Medical School, and many more.

Database Platform Dev for Healthcare Research Nonprofit

"Savas Labs is particularly good about looking into the future and recommending solutions before I need them."

2016 - Ongoing

Savas Labs developed a website as well as a database using Drupal CMS for a perinatal quality initiative. The database allows hospitals to enter data and run reports.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Keith Cochran
Perinatal Quality Collaborative of North Carolina (PQCNC)

The database has been well-received as it makes it easier for hospitals to improve quality. Savas Labs corrects problems quickly (including those not of their own making) and responds promptly to all concerns. They also offer useful tactical advice that was subsequently implemented.

I'm with Perinatal Quality Collaborative of North Carolina (PQCNC). We run quality improvement projects in the state of North Carolina for all the delivery hospitals.

What challenge were you trying to address with Savas Labs?

We were developing a website for recognition, establishing a place where people can view our current projects. Integrated but separate, we needed a database where data could be collected, reports could be run, and people could see other quality improvement projects.

Savas Labs created a database using Drupal CMS. They integrated a reporting module so that we can have reports along with Drupal. The website is also on Drupal but without the SQL database on the backend. I maintain that database, but it also has an outward-facing part that allows every hospital to have an account and enter in their own data. The hospitals can then go in and run reports on their data.

Each time we set up another initiative, we go to Savas Labs with a scope of work. We let them know what it should look like, what we'll need for data collection, and what the reports should do. They turn it around and give that back to me.

Altogether we’ve worked seven people. On a day-to-day basis, we work with a project manager and a principal.

How did you come to work with Savas Labs?

I don't really remember. I think it was a combination of online search and asking around.

We spent between $100,000–$250,000.

We started working in 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

Each initiative is a success story because it provides the tools for the delivery hospitals to look at the work they're doing and improve quality. On a personal level, they've been really easy to work with. They’re always willing to sit down and talk through everything we're doing and offer a custom solution for us. More importantly for us as a non-profit, they’re well within our price range.

How did Savas Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They're great at meeting deadlines, even when some of our deadlines are fairly aggressive. They’re also super quick to respond when we've had occasional problems. The problem is usually on my end more; for example, putting the data in the wrong place. Savas Labs will respond immediately to switch that data, which is a little bit out of scope. That’s been super helpful. We communicate via phone, email, and Redmine. They’d prefer I use Redmine more than email, but they're accommodating.

Savas Labs is particularly good about looking into the future and recommending solutions before I need them. I don’t have to tell them that I'm worried something is going to happen in the future. They’ll come to me and describe what things are going look like as we move forward and other elements we might want to consider. That helps keep us ahead of the timeline.

Their team is quite high-touch. They’re also good at translation, taking the technical concepts and putting them in layman's terms. That’s helpful because I have some familiarity with what they're doing but not a lot.

No. When I think about our interaction, there's never a point when I wished they had some other capability or did things differently.

Start early but don't come with a completely fleshed out scope of work. You may think you know everything you need about your project, but be willing to engage in a dialogue. You'll end up with a better product if you're open to asking them for advice on your project.

I’m able to get what I need within my limited budget.
    I’d definitely recommend them.