Expertly Crafted Disruption

Ruckus is a full-service agency that powers game-changing companies and global influencers. Our core strategic engagements in branding, platform design, and campaigns consistently drive greater consumer action and awareness. Boasting a track record that can speak for itself, Ruckus has successfully completed hundreds of projects and been featured on prominent media outlets such as ABC, CNN, CBS, Adweek, The Wall Street Journal, and more.

Whether you’re just starting out or evolving your brand, Ruckus will help you grow.

2005
New York, NY
Headquarters
  • Ruckus
    261 WEST 35TH STREET, 10TH FLOOR
    New York, NY 10001
    646.832.4603

Baked By Melissa, HSBC, Harley Davidson, Undies.com, Diocese of Brooklyn, American Heart Association, Reading Brewery, LydellNYC, Neota Logic, Tweezerman, B&H, Hooch.

Brand Refresh for Self-Storage Company

"The project required patience and listening, and they had an abundance of both."

Dec. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Ruckus refreshed an outdated brand statement based on stakeholder input, in this case developing guidelines for visual collateral used in digital and physical platforms.

Orlando, Florida
SVP, Self-Storage Company

Clients can expect visually appealing designs that reflect their corporate identity, which is definitely due to Ruckus’ highly engaging and collaborative process. The project team was willing to go through several revisions in order to achieve excellent results.

Our company provides self-storage, with over 230 facilities across the US. We target high-density markets with facilities averaging between 500 and 600 units. In my role, I lead all the marketing, pricing, IT, and training efforts across the company. The brand is certainly a big part of my responsibilities and it affects many areas of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

The current brand has been in place since the inception of the company, so the brand was tired and looked like it came out of the early 1990s. It was difficult for the brand to represent our values. Aside from the difficulty of rallying around a brand statement, we faced the challenge of representing our brand on different signage—both digitally and in our facilities.

We engaged Ruckus to help us do a whole brand refresh. They needed to understand our business in order to help us develop a strong brand statement that fit with our values. They did a lot of internal stakeholder interviews and analysis, spending time at our facilities and talking to our field personnel. Ruckus also interviewed a couple of our customers to understand how they saw our company and our current brand. Out of all the interviews and information, they helped to synthesize what our brand platform was going to be in terms of a brand statement.

We then built out the visual components, which included a new logo, color schemes, and the overall look and feel of our brand. Ruckus also developed brand guidelines that we could roll out across our digital platforms and physical assets. They gave us a lot of the proof of concept behind what our external signage should look like. This included the signage on our facilities, monument signs, banners, internal promotional marketing, and digital platforms. Other brand collateral included our letterhead template, business cards, internal PowerPoint communications, and email signatures. Ultimately, those were the deliverables.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

We did online searches and sought references from other organizations. In the end, we talked to about 8–10 firms. Ruckus had an attractive price point and was willing to take bigger risks while understanding our plight. It was easy to feel comfortable with the team, and the prior work they had completed represented a high degree of quality.

Ruckus completed the project in about 2.5 months, which was within our expected timing.

We were completely satisfied with what they produced, but we haven’t tracked any specific metrics. It was more about meeting certain visual criteria with our brand team and our executive team. We’ve received tons of compliments and positive feedback on our new look and feel.

Ruckus did a great job and delivered an excellent product. We were so pleased to present to our executive team and the rest of the company. They went out of their way to ensure we felt comfortable with and involved in the creative process. The project required patience and listening, and they had an abundance of both.

How did Ruckus perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job. The project was more of a partnership, and we worked together through a large part of the project. They met all the timelines, even when we had to go through a couple iterations.

What did you find most impressive about Ruckus?

They weren’t afraid to take the bigger leaps. They were very open to a collaboration. There was strong value delivered for the price point we paid. Other bids were 40% higher than Ruckus, and I’m not sure we would have gotten the quality product that Ruckus produced. They were very concerned about the quality. They were quick to make adjustments based on our feedback and didn’t balk at it at all. They were interested in a face-to-face engagement, and they started building that client relationship right from the first meeting, which meant a lot to us. When we had concerns, they wasted no time showing up on our doorstep and working with us.

As mentioned, the project was very cost-effective without sacrificing quality.
    They produced top-notch work that we can use out of the box.
    We are very pleased with the results and would be happy to work with Ruckus again. We are glad to refer them to colleagues of mine.

Branding & Web Dev for Boutique Investment Bank

"They were terrific and the work was great. We’re happy with the outcome."

Aug. - Oct. 2016

With their new affiliation with a global banking organization, the client looked to Ruckus to migrate their website to WordPress and revamp its look-and-feel, all while maintaining the integrity of their brand.

Jack Noble
Partner, DeSilva+Phillips

Even on a tight deadline, Ruckus delivers exceptional work. Their strength in communication gives their clients a sense of confidence when working on new projects.

I am a partner at DeSilva & Phillips, a boutique investment bank in New York. We focus on mergers and acquisitions in the media, marketing, technology, and information industries.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

The fundamental issue was that we had an old website that needed updating. At that time, our firm was announcing a new affiliation with a global alliance of investment banks called Oaklins. We wanted to rebrand our site to feature that affiliation while still maintaining our independence. We were trying to find a way to preserve the DeSilva & Phillips legacy and identity while still paying homage to the brand guidelines from Oaklins.

We started the process with an intake meeting, during which we got them up to speed on our company and our clients. They helped us to think through all the different customer journeys on our site—how people find us and what they might be trying to get out of the information on our site. We constructed an incredibly useful user journey document that captured all of that. Then, we translated that into the actual design in terms of form, function, layout, and content.

The end deliverable was a completely relaunched and migrated website on a new platform. We previously had our own in-house content management system developed for our site years ago. Ruckus helped us migrate to a more modern platform based on WordPress. They also did all the collateral that goes along with that, such as recolored logos and reorganized brand information. They also helped us integrate our customer relationship management system with Salesforce. In addition, they coded a subscribe page for our newsletters.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

Someone at our firm knew one of the principals at Ruckus, so we included them in our request for proposal process. We vetted a number of different firms, but after we met with Ruckus, we felt that their understanding of our goals was better than everyone else’s. They gave us a sense of comfort and trust, and we felt that they could handle the job well. They were very professional, and their approach to project management seemed in line with what we needed.

How much have you invested with Ruckus?

We’ve paid $10,000–$50,000 for their services.

We started working with them in August or September of 2016, and the project was completed in October of that year.

They got the project done very quickly. We were hosting a big event to announce our new affiliation with Oaklins, and Ruckus bent over backward to get the job done on deadline. I’ve received a lot of positive feedback from clients. We’ve been around for a long time, and long-term clients have all said that they love the new site. They feel that it more accurately captures what we do today, whereas the old site didn’t really convey the depth of our offering and industry expertise.

I can’t give hard numbers, but we never had a good way to solicit inquiries on our old site. We now have reach-out forms on everyone’s profiles and a general inquiry box. Ruckus also gave us the ability to measure those inquiries in a way we couldn’t before. It’s now much more conducive for potential clients to reach out to us. People are also utilizing the subscribe page to sign up for the various newsletters we put out.

How did Ruckus perform from a project management standpoint?

Ruckus did a great job. Our tight deadline was a challenge, but they were able to meet it. They did a good job managing the input from all the different people at our firm.

What did you find most impressive about Ruckus?

They communicate extremely well. I felt very confident in their ability to deliver on their promises throughout the process. I worked with Alex, and he was always communicative and helped us understand the status of things. I’ve worked with other agencies, and I’ve found that’s often where things fall apart.

Are there any areas Ruckus could improve?

Not that I’m aware of. I had a very positive experience with them.

Overall Score They were terrific and the work was great. We’re happy with the outcome.
    We had an extremely tight timeline, with a lot of pressure on the delivery date, and they got it done.
    They offered a great balance of quality and cost.
    Our firm and our clients have been extremely happy with the end result.
    I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Online Infrastructure for Costume Marketplace

"Not only did we pick them, but Ruckus also picked us, which gave us a feeling of confidence."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Ruckus built the wireframes of a website for an online marketplace and is beginning the design process for their app.

New York, USA
Max Garweg
President, Chrysalis

The personal interest that Ruckus puts into their projects makes their clients feel confident and secure.

We're a startup providing a used costume marketplace. I am the president and founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

We needed to create our online infrastructure in the form of a website and app.

Ruckus developed a simple experience for a relatively complex problem, namely how we could convince people to put their old costumes up for sale or to send them to us. For this to happen, we needed a streamlined process. It started with developing wireframes, followed by design.

We are in the process of reaching out to coding companies and are starting the app design process with Ruckus.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

Ruckus was chosen from a list of 10 companies which responded to our bid. We hadn't worked with another design company before them. Being a startup, our budget was limited, which knocked out several of the candidates. Ruckus stood out during our first meeting in their Manhattan office. We became certain that Ruckus would be our choice.

How much have you invested with Ruckus?

The cost of Ruckus' work has been around $70,000.

We started working with Ruckus in March 2016. The website portion of the project is complete. We are currently working on the app design.

The feedback we've gotten so far has been pretty much exclusively positive. People are very pleased with the design of Ruckus' website prototype. Donations are a big part of our company's operations. So far, some of the charities that we reached out to have been very positive.

How did Ruckus perform from a project management standpoint?

Ruckus performed as well as I could have hoped. We used Redbooth for project management, but the majority of the communication was done through emails, phone calls, and in-person meetings.

What did you find most impressive about Ruckus?

Ruckus has taken a personal interest in our company. Not only did we pick them, but Ruckus also picked us, which gave us a feeling of confidence. It's a good team of people that is not afraid to push back on the client when they think it's in the client's best interest. Especially for startups, this is important.

Are there any areas Ruckus could improve?

No. Ruckus has been as good as I could have possibly hoped, and I would highly recommend them. In fact, I have.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Ruckus?

I would tell clients to have a meeting with Ruckus' owner. It would be in their interest to have a consultation at the very least. The original vision that we brought to Ruckus has evolved a great deal during the past year of our collaboration. That is not only to our benefit but also Ruckus'.

Overall Score Ruckus is an excellent team. I look forward to continuing our work for this project and future ones.
    There is definitely good value for our money.

Logo & Branding for Women's Lifestyle Startup

"They treat every idea as if it was meant for their own business, spending the time to understand what exactly it is that I want as a client."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Through a new website, logo, and overall branding effort, Ruckus helped to create a feeling of empowerment that encapsulates the company vision and identity.

New York, USA
Rita Kakati Shah
Founder, UMA

Ruckus gives a personal touch to projects, producing creative solutions for brands that resonate with their audience.

I am the founder and chief executive officer of Uma. We focus on helping mothers re-enter the workforce after they've had a career break for their children.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

As a startup company, we needed to create a logo, branding and a website. I was looking for an empowering look that could give a good message to mothers who'd had a break. Confidence is a big issue when someone has been out of the workforce for any reason, so whatever logo I chose needed to appear strong.

Ruckus has developed our logo and branding. They're currently helping develop and design my website. The logo and branding are key to the website and I've provided the content for what I wanted on it. Ruckus is designing it for me, taking my direction, message, and audience into consideration. The website will be built in phases in order for us to have a soft launch. It will be monitored by Ruckus afterward in order to make appropriate changes to the elements which aren't working. Ruckus also helped put together a color palette, letterheads, and a PowerPoint template which I can use for client presentations.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

Ruckus is the first agency I've actually worked with, but I did interview and speak to quite a few different companies prior to hiring them. I initially did a Google search in order to find out what design companies were on the market. I also spoke to freelancers and received some word of mouth referrals from successful business owners who'd gone through a similar process. A good friend had launched a mobile app using Ruckus. It was a different business model to mine, but I decided to check out the company. I was impressed by how clear and simple their website was, while also having an edgy look. I received clear and quick answers to my emails and had very good meetings with Ruckus' team. They understood what I was trying to do, rather than giving a run of the mill approach. I didn't find the same approach anywhere else, which is why I chose Ruckus.

How much have you invested with Ruckus?

The cost of Ruckus' work has been between $25,000 and $50,000 for our entire project. This is only a rough estimate, as the project is ongoing. Ruckus had a competitive rate compared to other companies I contacted.

We started working with Ruckus in November 2016. The website portion is ongoing; our branding and logo are done.

The website isn't out yet, so it's hard to quantify results, but the people who've seen my logo and landing page loved Ruckus' work. They've created a thoughtful design which is mostly their own conception. I gave Ruckus information about what my company did and they took it from there. Ruckus took my feedback around what the company stood for and came up with four amazing logo designs. It was actually hard to choose one, but we ultimately selected a logo which was bold and elegant at the same time. It featured white spaces as a discrete way of portraying the gaps which appear in a mother's life, and what our company does in order to fill those gaps.

How did Ruckus perform from a project management standpoint?

Ruckus provided clear timelines and completed in advance most of the time. Things fell behind during the holiday season, but it was communicated well to me. We've had in-person and phone meetings.

What did you find most impressive about Ruckus?

Ruckus' team is able to think of creative solutions and put in a personal touch. They treat every idea as if it was meant for their own business, spending the time to understand what exactly it is that I want as a client. The team is also very nice and friendly.

Are there any areas Ruckus could improve?

I can't think of anything. I've been happy with everything that Ruckus has done so far.

Their price is very competitive.
    The quality of my logo, in particular, has been top-notch.
    I already have.

Design & Marketing for Online Retailer

"Ruckus hit all of our deadlines."

Ruckus provided the front-end design and architecture for a new website, contracted out a development company to build the back-end, and handled all aspects of a marketing campaign for the site.

Dirk Barnhill
CMO, Online Retailer

Ruckus’s leadership was smart, accessible, and honest, helping to make important decisions that allowed the project to move forward when issues came up. The first email blast that they sent out after the site’s launch generated over $1 million in sales on day one.

We're an online retailer, whose customer acquisition strategy is based on social and viral sharing, and we guarantee the lowest online price for everything in our store.

I’m the Chief Marketing Officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

The company had been around for about a year, and it was clear that our website was not working in a way that was accessible to me or our users. Our Chief Executive Officer and I decided that we were going to take the site down completely and rebuild our site from scratch. We hired Ruckus through a pitch process that I ran. We met with four or five different companies, and we hired Ruckus to help us, to be our agency partner that would provide the front-end design and architecture for the site and contract out a back-end development company to build the back end.

The first phase was to build the site, and the second phase was to help us with marketing activities. The majority of what we’ve done has been email marketing. The next step will be Facebook and other forms of social media. Ruckus is handling all aspects of the marketing campaign.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

We had looked at four or five different agencies. One of our founders had worked with Ruckus at another company, where he had had a positive experience with them.

It was in the $50,000 to $200,000 range.

We had a very aggressive timeline on this project. It was one of the criteria that we used to choose an agency partner, and that we wanted to be live in time for holiday shopping. We started the project in August, so we had about an 11-week build from scratch, so it was a very quick timeline, and I must say Ruckus hit all of our deadlines.

The first email blast that we did with our guys from Ruckus was the day before Thanksgiving, and it generated us over $1 million in sales on day one with zero issues on the site. The site performed beautifully. People navigated through it. We had an incredible number of time on site; we averaged eight minutes per user time on our site, so we just had great metrics on our first foray with these guys.

What distinguishes Ruckus from other providers?

Prior to doing this, I worked on the agency side for 25 years. What impressed me the most about Ruckus was their leadership. They were very smart, accessible, and honest when issues came up. There’s always going to be issues and there’s always going to be changes, especially in a timeline this tight. When that happened, they helped me to make decisions that allowed us to move forward and not get behind.

Is there anything Ruckus could have improved or done differently?

I like the people in the company, but they could probably use a little bit of a deeper bench. Josh and Alex are fantastic, some of their creative people are very good, but as they scale they’re going to need other people that are of a really high caliber.

Overall Score They absolutely deserve a five.
    They were on time and on budget.
    I have twice so far.

Marketing & Business Consulting for Startup

"Project management was an area where Ruckus Marketing definitely shined."

Sept. 2015 - Feb. 2016

Ruckus Marketing designed a rewards mobile app, coordinated its development for both Android and iOS, and helped to develop a business plan for the app.

John Harrison
Founder, MugClubs

Ruckus met all project timelines and budget requirements and even made sure that extra features were added to the app. Their strong project management and thorough approach make them the perfect partner for achieving great looking, quality results.

MugClubs.com launched last September, we're a platform for bars to manage their mug clubs and encourage customer loyalty.

I'm the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus Marketing?

The idea was to build a mobile app for iOS and Android that bar patrons could download and join the mug clubs of their favorite bars. It would be free for customers to download, and they could earn various rewards by checking in and making purchases at a particular bar.

That idea was all I had when I first approached Ruckus. From there, they helped with every aspect of the business to bring my idea to reality.

Ruckus developed a business plan for me that sketched out how we could make the idea profitable. They also designed the app and handled finding a development agency that could actually code and build it. They also obviously coordinated the marketing and promotion efforts around the app.

How did you come to work with Ruckus Marketing?

I actually went to college with the CEO of Ruckus, Josh Wood. I went to josh with this idea, and he was immediately very excited about helping me, and getting the idea off the ground. I think what impressed me in those initial meetings with Ruckus was how diligent they were, they thought about everything.

It was between $10,000 and $50,000.

What was the timeline of this engagement?

We formally started meeting around September 1, 2015. The development of the app concluded somewhere at the end of February [2016]. Launching the company with Ruckus was roughly a six-month time frame.

The app is still in beta testing so it's hard to talk about results at this point. However, I can say that we met all of our timelines and budget requirements, and we're even able to add a few features at the end that we didn't think we were going to be able to. Also, subjectively, the app looks great, we haven't had any negative feedback about its performance or anything like that. I'm excited about the possibilities moving forward.

How did Ruckus Marketing perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was an area where Ruckus Marketing definitely shined. We were on the same page throughout the whole project and especially when it comes to the development of the app, they were the ones who worked directly with the developers and made sure that everything was done correctly. I couldn't have asked for anything more from a project management standpoint.

What distinguishes Ruckus Marketing from other providers?

I've spent the last eight years working for Johnson & Johnson in corporate finance, so that's the world I come from. There are many great things about the corporate world, I think a focus on creating organized processes and minimizing overhead is often lost in the startup world. There's a certain creativity and focus on the customer that often gets overlooked in the corporate world. Ruckus was great because they had a grasp of both of those mentalities, and brought the best of both of worlds to this project.

Is there anything Ruckus Marketing could have improved or done differently?

No, I really don't. I think they really were a wonderful partner. I hope that they'll continue to grow and do well. I hope to work with them for any products I do in the future, including growing MugClubs.

I absolutely would.

Marketing Plan for Luxury Umbrella Manufacturer

"They were very thorough and had a remarkable resistance to project fatigue."

Ruckus developed a cohesive marketing plan for a luxury umbrella manufacturer, with coinciding budget and implementation plans.

Dave Kahng
Managing Director, Davek Accessories

The Ruckus team blends business acumen with creativity to achieve a very deep understanding of a wide range of marketing activities. Their enthusiasm for this project showed in the highly customized plan that they developed.

Davek Umbrellas makes uniquely strong and stylish umbrellas that are built to last.

What is your role at the company?

I'm the founder and CEO of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Ruckus?

Prior to working with Ruckus, our various marketing efforts were impulsive and lacked a well-thought out holistic strategy.

The scope of the project touched every aspect of marketing for us – traditional, such as trade shows; digital, such as search engine optimization and pay per click; and social, such as Facebook and Twitter. Ruckus performed an audit of our past and current efforts, identified our current customers, developed a roadmap for each marketing channel, defined budgets for each vehicle, and realistic success and failure thresholds.

How did you come to work with Ruckus?

I searched and interviewed more than 40 marketing firms, from boutique to larger firms, before selecting Ruckus.

The project lasted around two months.

We were very satisfied with the results. We now have a cohesive marketing plan in place with a realistic budget and implementation plan.

What distinguishes Ruckus from other providers?

Ruckus was an excellent team to work with. There was an unusual blend of business acumen with creativity in their analysis. They had a very deep understanding in a wide range of marketing activities, which is critical when developing a cohesive marketing strategy whose parts all work together. I was surprised at the depth of detail that went into each analysis. These were not generic recommendations, but very specific and customized to our specific needs. They were very thorough and had a remarkable resistance to project fatigue. The depth and enthusiasm was consistent throughout the project.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve or things you might do differently?

None. We plan to work with them regularly.

Branding Strategy & Marketing for Software Firm

"They became our marketing team."

Ruckus developed a brand from scratch, including the logo, color scheme, branding, messaging, website, business cards, letterhead, and banners for a trade show, all within a span of two months.

Jenn Goodson
CAO, Neota Logic

Ruckus’s highly organized approach and strong communication allowed them to deliver a fully branded, functional company on a very tight schedule. They were thorough, creative, flexible, and a true partner on this project, and they provided beautiful work.

Please describe your company.

Neota Logic is a software company that builds documentation systems that are designed to ease the compliance process on our clients.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the chief operating officer.

What was your goal for working with Ruckus?

We partnered with one of our clients to create a joint venture called ComplianceHR, using Neota Logic's technology. It's primarily designed for HR [human resources] departments in contract employment industry. This was a brand new business entity, so we went to Ruckus with a blank slate. We explained who we are, and where we envision the company going and asked them to build a brand from scratch based on that information.

We formed the business in February, and we had a major industry conference at the beginning of May where we wanted to launch the brand. So, we had two months to get together our logo, color scheme, branding, messaging, website, business cards, letterhead, and banners for a trade show – you name it, we had to get everything in two months, which was a real challenge. We went to Ruckus, and they said to us, "If you stick with this schedule, and if you're responsive with us, then we're going to be able to meet that deadline for you."

They laid it all out from the beginning. We knew the expectations they had for us, and they knew what our expectations were of them. As long as we hit our marks, they hit their marks. It was unbelievable. We started with Ruckus in late February or early March, and the trade show was the first week of May.

What was your process for selecting Ruckus?

I was researching online. I wanted an agency near us in the New York area, and we wanted to be able to have face-to-face meetings. I called around, and I narrowed it down to my top three. I had them come in and meet the executive management team. One of our team members had met another firm that was based out of Los Angeles, and wanted to go that way, but I kept pushing because I really thought Ruckus had better creativity, and I really thought they were the one for us.

It was their edginess, but with a level of professionalism that I really liked the most. They were able to convey real business professionalism, but there was still a hint of humor, or a hint of self-deprecation in their work. It was fresh. You could tell that they were working hard, and there was a lot of creativity going on there. There were more interested in talking about the creative process than talking about money at the beginning. Of course, you have to talk about money eventually, but they were more interested in the creative process, and that was intriguing for us.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

It was between $40,000 and $60,000.

Can you speak to Ruckus's process, or what it was like working with them?

They're super-organized, which was great. They laid out the expectations from the beginning and stuck to their plan. They were always there, thinking of things, checking up on how we were receiving the work. They kept us on point, which was great. They didn't want to disappoint us, and they knew that sometimes they were saving us from ourselves. They were also very honest, saying, "We can't get that done in two months, but we'll put that on for version 2." So, they were very honest with what they could and couldn't do. They didn't over-promise. The delivery was fantastic. They were highly creative and highly available.

They used Teamwork, which is an online project management system, and they were always on that, making sure things were uploaded and where they should be. It's a really hands on, young team, but for as young as they are, their wisdom transcends their youth. They came up with some very creative ideas. I really enjoyed working with them, and I never felt like I was getting a hard sell. Everything was very open, honest, and transparent.

What were the results of the project?

The result was that they were able to get us from absolutely nothing to a fully branded functional company with an online presence in two months. Their work is beautiful. It conveys the exact message that we want to have. We've gotten so many compliments. It was so well done and so well received that we're planning to bring more business to them with our existing company [Neota Logic].

Do you have any stats or metrics on the project that support these results?

The result of the conference, which was less than a month ago, is that people know we exist now, and that was our primary goal more than selling our product. We got a lot of Twitter followers, and a lot of exposure. People are visiting the site. We're getting great engagement; their work has provided a good base, a place for us to launch from. The conference attendees included almost every single employment law firm in the country, so it was an important first impression.

Is there anything unique or special about Ruckus that really makes them stand out?

I liked how nimble and flexible they were. They're very organized, thorough, and creative. Also, they're just very human. I didn't feel uncomfortable saying I don't know how to do something, or that I'd never done that particular thing before. They would hold my hand and help me get through something, so they could get what they needed. They were a partner, and they guided us through the process. They became our marketing team.

This project was so quick and so well done that I don't really think there were any areas of improvement.

Marketing & Advertising for Cosmetics & Drug Producer

"Their responsiveness really impressed the hell out of me."

Ruckus researched and launched a marketing campaign, targeting a new, younger audience for a pre-existing product.

Brian Fitzpatrick
CEO, Bentley Labs

Ruckus listened carefully and showed a great deal of enthusiasm for this project from the very beginning. Their team’s thorough research has increased the potential reach and impact of this campaign and opened doors to new markets for the product.

Please describe your company.

Bentley Labs formulates and manufactures personal care products, primarily cosmetics, and over-the-counter drug products, for a variety of leading brand marketers as well as niche brand marketers who serve the industry.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the owner and CEO.

What was your goal for working with Ruckus?

We had a product that we were taking to market. While our take on the product is new, the product type has been in the marketplace for a long time, and we were looking for a new way to position it. Think of it as a technology that's been out there, it's been around, people have used it, but the company that launched the technology had a particular target audience, and they never evolved that. We were looking for a new audience, and obviously a new marketing strategy to attract them.

They provided a couple of services. One was to educate us on internet marketing, how it works, what has proven to be successful, what hasn't, what business models work really well, and why. So, that was one big portion of the services they provided. The other was conducting the market research, and coming back to us with a plan for a different way to market our product, to a different target audience, to give us that uniqueness. Everybody was marketing the product to 40-to-50-year-olds. Nobody was thinking of the younger generation who are much more in tune with appearance and personal care products.

We worked on this for about five months, and we were just blown away by what they did for us. The results of their research and their recommendations are just now coming to fruition, but they really exceeded our expectations.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

We've planned three phases for this project. The initial phase was probably less than $30,000. As we move forward through the project, this should run in the $200,000 to $500,000 range

What were the results of the project?

We haven't yet executed the marketing model that they've built for us yet, but in the short term, their recommendations have caused us to go out and look for strategic marketing partners to team up with, particularly ones who concentrate on internet marketing to the younger generation. We had no meaningful experience with digital marketing, but we're really excited at the doors that are opening up, and the potential impact and reach of our campaign.

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

It's too soon to talk metrics, but I feel good about what we're seeing.

They listened really carefully to us, and that impressed me. They're a young group, and I thought they might come in and act like they knew it all. But, they didn't. They also showed a lot of enthusiasm for the product and the category, and that was really important. It wasn't just a project to them. You could feel that they were totally jazzed about going to work on this kind of a product in that kind of marketplace. What it said to me was, before we even were done with the initial meeting, they were already thinking about how this could be done. Even in those initial RFP [request for proposal] meetings, they were coming up with amazing ideas for us.

Honestly, I didn't. Their responsiveness really impressed the hell out of me. I recommend them to any of my customers that I deal with now. I really like their energy. As a young entrepreneurial firm trying to break in, these guys show a ton of promise. They're going places.