Design is simple

ROSSUL is one of the top UI/UX design firms in Canada, with more than 15 years of experience creating highly usable and intuitive designs for the B2B market. Our attention to detail and UX design expertise are what makes us one of the top UX design firms in North America. Together, we’ll improve the usability and usefulness of your apps for optimal user experience.

2003
Toronto, Canada
  • 607-18 Wynford Dr
    Toronto, ON M3C 3S2

Libro, ABB, Pepsico, Hatch, Orea, Covidien, Johnson Controls, Thermo Fisher, Panasonic, PLC Group, TMX

UI/UX Design for Blockchain Technology Company

"What’s most impressive is their professionalism and experience."

Jan.– Feb. 2020

ROSSUL redesigned the UI/UX of a web app for a blockchain enterprise solution provider. They created several user personas and developed a compatible design solution with the existing blockchain technology.

Toronto, Ontario
Shailen Parbhoo
Sr. Product Manager, DLT Global Inc.

ROSSUL delivered a satisfying design that generated positive feedback from internal stakeholders. The team provided a detailed timeline that guided the project accurately to ensure transparent collaboration and a timely final deliverable. They are skilled and exceed expectations as a partner.

Our company develops enterprise-grade solutions using a full suite of technology. The highlight is the blockchain architecture as opposed to a standard server and database structure.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We needed services for our existing platform that was going into implementation. We created a freight-based solution for Walmart, Canada. We integrated our solution with carriers who use it to carry goods. Any products that hit a shelf in Walmart are processed through our application, which needed a facelift.  We engage more than 70 carriers across the country and wanted to provide them with an optimal UX.

ROSSUL provided us with UI/UX services for our web-based application. We explained to them what we needed and gave their team use cases for how we use the application right now. Then, they created different personas for who they thought would be using the application. This is a specific deployment application, but it can be leveraged by different sources. ROSSUL built different personas to support future users in different industries. Their team created a UI/UX from scratch that sits on the application's blockchain technology.

Our application aggregates data and provides Walmart with visibility into shipments so that we can calculate an invoice for them. The carrier uses our platform to evaluate costs. It’s important for the carriers so that they can get paid based on the invoices produced through our system now.

We communicated with Elia (Founder and Creative Director) and one of his designers, Chris (UX Designer).

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

We researched local companies on Clutch because the platform provides really good customer feedback reviews. We found ROSSUL on there and saw that their team focused on UI/UX. We reached out and they were interested in the project. We interviewed about 4–5 different UI/UX firms but Elia was a pleasure to work with. He followed up almost instantaneously. ROSSUL seemed interested, unlike other agencies.

The project cost between $10,000–$25,000.

We kicked off the project with ROSSUL in January 2020 and it wrapped up around February. Since then, we’ve had back and forth with their team to complete small changes. Recently, I spoke with Elia about working on another project.

The ROSSUL team goes above and beyond. They didn't just provide a great, professional service. Rather, they also gave us their opinions and challenged our ideas.

I'm happy with the end product. I showed the design internally and everyone loved it including my CEO and CTO. We had to make small changes because certain features had to operate in specific manners but that wasn’t a limitation on ROSSUL. When I told Elia, he came right back with a great sketch.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

We tracked the project in JIRA where ROSSUL put together a full map, which allowed me to see different timelines for deliverables. ROSSUL followed the timeline as long as we gave them the information needed. We also used InVision to share screens and provide feedback. They set up meetings regularly to get feedback and share information. Their team provided updates constantly, which was great because I rarely had to follow up with them. They were visible and provided updates all of the time.

They clearly have UI/UX experience. Their team doesn’t take what you say and regurgitate it. ROSSUL gave their opinions and UI/UX expertise. I questioned certain aspects of the project and they provided the reasoning behind why we could or couldn’t do certain things. What’s most impressive is their professionalism and experience.

No, they were great. ROSSUL continues to support us.

You have to supply them with information because they’re not mind readers. You have to articulate your vision because their team’s limited to what you provide them.

UI/UX Mobile App Optimization for Dev Recruiting Platform

“They helped me with several things that weren’t in our initial agreement just to make sure we had things sorted out.”

Jan. 2020 - Feb. 2020

ROSSUL used Zeplin and InVision to redesign UX for a software developer recruitment platform. They redid user flows to make the iOS/Android app more intuitive and user friendly.

Oakville, Ontario
James Knupfer
CEO, Candidly

Users are very pleased with the new design. ROSSUL exceeded expectations and had a big impact on the project’s success. The team was well organized, managing communication effectively to ensure that the project was completed in a timely fashion.

I’m the CEO of a software recruitment platform that connects software developers with pre-verified skills with employers looking for those skills.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We conducted a lot of beta testing and identified that we needed to improve our mobile app’s UX, so we engaged ROSSUL to revamp that.

They redid all of our user flows and design. I gave them a bit of information on what I was looking for, personal mock ups and stuff like that. Ultimately, the work that they came up with was completely original. They worked with Zeplin and InVision, and the app is on iOS and Android.

They made the app more intuitive. Before, we needed to give users a lot of instruction on how to use it. That was a big hurdle for us, and they were able to solve it.

I communicated directly with their CEO, and I spoke a few times with one of their team members.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I did some research on some companies out there and shortlisted a few. I contacted ROSSUL and a few others, but temporarily paused the project. Still, ROSSUL kept in contact with me, and it showed that they were eager to get the work done.

We spent between $10,000–$25,000.

It lasted from January–February 2020.

We launched the app a week ago, and so far, feedback from developers has been really good. Several users mentioned how intuitive the app is, so they clearly made a big difference for our UX.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

They have project management nailed down. They use Jira and Slack to manage the work and communicate with us. They make sure the work comes through the right funnel, so they have a good handle on how they take on work. We had the timeline broken down into sprints, but they worked through everything quickly.

Eli (CEO) was very accommodating, was very involved, ensured that I was up to speed, answered my questions completely and clearly. They helped me with several things that weren’t in our initial agreement just to make sure we had things sorted out. They went above and beyond what they needed to, and it was very helpful. Eli is very direct and straightforward because he is focused on what the project needs.

No, they get the work done properly, and clearly their methods work for them.

Make sure you know what you want. They’re good at taking your ideas and turning them into a reality. If you’re not clear on what you want, it would probably drive up your costs. If you make too many changes, it will be difficult for them to operate.

UI/UX Design & Development for Medical Application

"I was impressed with their ability to take underdefined concepts and translate them into usable designs."

Oct. - Nov. 2019

ROSSUL designed the UI/UX of a web-based health data platform. The team created accessible, mobile-friendly designs from scratch using hand-made sketches and wireframes.

Alameda, California
Co-Founder, Genomics Company

ROSSUL delivers exceptional designs that meet every requirement. Transparent and flexible, the team maintained open lines of communication to foster a seamless workflow. Their dedicated, innovative approach sets them apart.

I work for a company that helps communities of patients with rare diseases. We aggregate health information to produce new data that researchers can use to identify and evaluate therapies.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We hired ROSSUL to help us build an online portal that connects patients and families with their electronic health records (EHRs). We also wanted a custom survey tool that would allow us to collect additional information from our users.

Our primary concern was ease of use because most of the patients using the platform have disabilities. Accessibility was a huge factor, and we also wanted our users to realize that providing the information is worth their time.

We wanted a product that could strike a balance between feeling like a game, in terms of being pleasant and fun, and being effective in helping us accomplish our goals.

The project started with an initial conversation where we walked ROSSUL through what we were trying to accomplish. After that, we showed them some hand-drawn sketches and wireframe drawings that displayed the features that we thought were necessary. From there, we moved into breaking down the tasks that needed to be completed so that we could execute a contract with them. All of the deliverables were created from scratch.

They have three designers working on our project. We have a main point of contact for direct conversations, and the other designers have access to our feedback on Jira and InVision.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

My executive assistant knew Elia (CEO, ROSSUL) from a previous company. We went through an evaluation process with a few other designers—also ones that came in through our network—and we eventually decided on ROSSUL.

We chose them for a couple of reasons, the most important being their understanding of accessibility constraints and best practices. We knew that we could trust them to keep those considerations top of mind while designing.

They were also sophisticated in their reasoning when they explained different approaches and collaborative in a way that showcased their design decision making. We appreciated early on how they were able to share new ideas and push back on our ideas in a helpful way.

The project started in September 2019; that’s when we first started having conversations with them. Because of our internal decision-making processes, the contracting phase went longer than expected, and they didn’t officially start work until October 2019. The project officially wrapped up in November 2019.

Aesthetically, the designs are exactly what we were looking for. The product is easy to use, and it looks nice and professional. The graphing packages, in particular, were much better than what we were using before, and the portal seems to work well even on mobile interfaces, even though it’s designed for laptop web browsers. ROSSUL addressed all of our concerns about the mobile view.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

They were transparent and persistent, which made for consistent progress. They were also respectful about gathering necessary feedback from us to keep the project moving forward. The visibility was also helpful; we knew what they were working on and what needed to be reviewed at every stage.

The process was very iterative, much more so than past projects that we’ve done with other designers. All of the feedback and commenting was done in sync to save time. We captured all of that on Jira and InVision.

I would often get busy with other projects for 3–4 days, and I’d go back and see that 20–30 items were already prepped for review. Most of the time, ROSSUL also included comments explaining specific design choices with questions about our goals and preferences. I would go through those items for the next day or two and then wait for them to send me more deliverables.

I was impressed with their ability to take underdefined concepts and translate them into usable designs. For example, when we started, we were trying to make a product that pulled information from electronic health records (EHRs), but we hadn’t thoroughly thought out how we wanted to display that content. ROSSUL had a fantastic idea—about 3/4ths of the way through the project—to break that content into different pages. Because of their creative thinking, we now have screens that are both easy to navigate and useful to patients.

I was also pleased with their ability to scope out the project. When we started, the scope was over budget and outside of our timeline, and we were worried that we wouldn’t be able to work with them. ROSSUL was flexible and creative in finding ways to end the project with a finished product that hit our constraints while excluding unnecessary components that drove up the cost and timeline. They were able to do that while still providing something that meets our initial vision.

The initial conversations were fantastic in many regards. They brought in a few of their designers to ask additional questions to get a feel for what exactly we were trying to do. ROSSUL recorded those conversations so that they could go back and review them to ensure fidelity with our original plan.

I don’t think so, everything looks great. The project has moved along consistently; I don’t have anything negative to say.

They’ll be flexible and supportive if you explain what you want. You can always ask them to make changes, and they’ll help you think through the decision in a logical manner, always trying to align with your business goals. Be transparent and know what you’re looking for, and they’ll work hard to make it a reality.

Overall Score I can’t think of a moment when I was dissatisfied with their service.
    They always set up meetings during times that worked for me, even if that time was outside of their regular working hours.
    I was worried about the initial budget, but they ended up delivering great value for the price. I’m very happy about that.
    They met our requirements, and the designs look really great.
    I plan on working with them again, and I have no hesitation suggesting them to other people.

Heuristic Web Evaluations & User Testing for Nonprofit

"They provided good customer service."

Oct. - Nov. 2019

ROSSUL administered heuristic evaluation and user testing of a website for an international nonprofit. They assessed the UI/UX of the platform and provided design recommendations to help develop a web presence.

5,001 - 10,000 Employees

Montreal, Canada
Head of Dissemination, International Nonprofit

ROSSUL produced satisfying deliverables, providing suggestions for platform improvements and helping to demonstrate the initiative’s value to company leaders. The team provided tools to ensure transparency and established reasonable expectations of the engagement to ensure smooth collaboration.

I’m the head of dissemination for a nonprofit specializing in education, science, and culture. Basically, all of the customer-facing technical systems are under my responsibility.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We had a web presence that was not ideal for our organization. We developed a new website and wanted to know if the new website met users' needs.

ROSSUL worked to validate one small part of our migration to a new web presence. We were developing a website, which is a small piece of our process to build a web presence. The team directed an evaluation of our platform and gave us recommendations to put us on the right track.

First, we reviewed their approach to the tests and their timetable. We developed a heuristic evaluation and a user interview. For the heuristic portion, their team created a report based on the evaluation and noted three areas for improvement. We had a person on site who was the focal point for the user testing work. Our team selected users based on our target segments and they supplied some of their non-expert users. Their team facilitated users through the process detailed in the proposal.

Lastly, they extracted the point of view of different users, which were reported. Based on their findings, ROSSUL gave us a list of recommendations. We’ve assessed all of their recommendations and identified the ones that we can and can’t execute easily.

We worked with two members of their team. Elia (Founder and Creative Director, ROSSUL) was the project manager and Chris (UX Designer, ROSSUL) executed most of the work.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

We put out an RFP and they responded with a proposal. We ranked all the responses and ROSSUL were at the top of our list. We worked with their team to make sure the proposal met our needs. Then, we went through a contracting process and they signed onto the project.

We spent between $10,000–$50,000 on their services.

We collaborated from the beginning of October 2019 until the middle of November.

One of the main reasons we wanted them to do this assessment was to validate the direction we were taking. Their work helped us with executive management, making sure they were supportive of what we were trying to do. We’re very happy with the work ROSSUL did. Their team found quite a few insights. They were obviously experts in their field. We felt that we got a decent quality product back.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

They implemented project management software—JIRA— and performed well. It was good to have an idea of what they were doing and when they were doing it. Compared to past contractors, ROSSUL did that quite well.

Their team was quite clear about what they were and weren’t able to do. They provided good customer service and we worked well together, which can be difficult with contractors especially when conditions aren’t clear. The project was well planned out.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Go over the expectations on both sides. Make sure that you know what you’ll be delivering and what they will be delivering for the project.

Overall Score I don’t have any complaints. I'm happy to work with them again.
    They met all the deadlines
    They weren’t cheap. There were other options that were cheaper but I’m not sure the quality would’ve been the same.
    Their output was professional. I don’t give out fives unless something blows me out of the water.
    I would recommend them.

UI Design for SaaS Marketing Platform

"The team at ROSSUL was invested in delivering a solid UI."

May - July 2019

ROSSUL designed the UI of a SaaS application. Taking user stories, the team built on those, creating wireframes and hi-fi prototypes. After the design work was finished, coding began internally.

Irvine, California
Joel Brda
CEO, Human Automation

Initial user feedback was extremely positive. ROSSUL designed an intuitive UI. The team at ROSSUL is thoughtful and hardworking. Their creative approach complemented their professional management style. Customers can expect an invested team that delivers on time.

I’m the CEO at Human Automation.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We wanted to outsource the UI of our SaaS app from start to finish.

ROSSUL was very process-driven. We had a few user stories that they took and executed the full design of the app and UI. First, we had to make sure their team understood the user stories and their meaning. After walking through the concepts, they started with rough drafts and wireframes, talking us through that process. Based on those conversations, we were able to flesh out our user stories more.

After several reiterations of that, their team built multiple iterations of hi-fi prototypes. Beyond what we provided their side, they added concepts and functionalities to our app. After the final handoff to our developers, we coded it.

We worked with two designers.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I found ROSSUL on Clutch. I narrowed it down a global search to three or four companies that I ended up reaching out to. I received a proposal from two of them. ROSSUL’s fast response stood out. I talked to the owner about my concerns and questions, which he addressed. He also led me through their InVision app to showcase their previous designs and examples that mirrored my user cases.

The work cost around $30,000.

We finished the project in July and started the process about eight weeks earlier than that. It went longer due to changes on our end.

Even after the project was completed, their team insisted we have a final meeting to provide additional feedback. They didn’t have to follow up, but they felt the need to make sure everything was done correctly. The design looks great and functions well. All of our prospects and customers present during the demo seemed to have liked it. It’s easy-to-use and intuitive. There have been no negatives so far.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management style was exceptional. On our end, we used phone calls and emails for correspondence. We communicated with the designers twice a week. They were open to using our Jira with our developer. We also used InVision heavily where we would comment on work and reply to notes.

ROSSUL has a thorough team that keeps timelines moving. From a project management standpoint, they were also very strong. The team at ROSSUL was invested in delivering a solid UI.

Not really. For us, it was a lot of money, but that was the proposal we signed. Everyone wants more for less, but there have been no issues whatsoever.

ROSSUL does an excellent job of leading customers through everything.

Overall Score Everything was on time and budget. They went above and beyond with a good solid end result.
    They always pushed us to hit the deadlines and keep it moving forward.
    If I put in a little more work, I could’ve gotten the price down. Bu as I said, it was exactly what they scoped out.
    They were on time and schedule, managing it well. The delivery is exactly what they said. The project went beyond what we initially outlined.
    Very likely.

Web Dev & Refresh for Publishing Consultancy

“ROSSUL continuously finds a solid balance between their UX design and pragmatic mindset.”

Aug. 2005–Ongoing

ROSSUL has created and maintained a website for a consultancy within the publishing field. They’ve developed several minisites for the platform and continually enhance the site.

Thad McIlroy
Principle, The Future of Publishing

The strong UX/UI of the website has helped the business position itself as a leader within the industry. The ROSSUL team has been a stable partner during the multi-year engagement. Their insightful, transparent nature encourages a trusting, productive collaboration.

I’m the principal of The Future of Publishing, a consultancy and market analysis firm. We study and advise those in the publishing industries, including books, magazines, newspapers, etc.

For what projects/services did your company hire ROSSUL?

We hired ROSSUL to create our website. We needed about 24 minisites with anchoring features.

We wanted the site to help us establish our firm as a leader in the publishing consultancy field.

I followed a recommendation from a trusted colleague who had a successful engagement with ROSSUL in the past.

I worked with ROSSUL to define the scope of the project. Once we decided on the structure we wanted for the site, Elia (CEO, ROSSUL) translated our ideas into a platform and focused on UI. They also incorporated a blog. Our site is now over 12 years old, but ROSSUL continues to refresh the platform and enhance its responsiveness. We’re currently working on a redesign with them.

I primarily work with Elia and Tom (Lead Developer, ROSSUL).

ROSSUL has helped transform our company from a concept into a business with a strong position in the market. We’re able to be a leader in the field of analysis. Our credibility has significantly improved since beginning the work with their team.

We’ve had no challenges in how they manage the project. Everything has been delivered on time and within our budget. Their team is transparent about any offshore maintenance and they’re very responsive to our needs.

ROSSUL continuously finds a solid balance between their UX design and pragmatic mindset. They maintain my inspirations and ideas while bringing them into reality.

Some of the initial architecture limited me to needing expert support, but it was the right approach. The structure has evolved with technology over time.

Overall Score My business would not be as successful without ROSSUL’s help.
    They pride themselves on their responsiveness; scheduling has never been an issue.
    Though the initial work cost more than expected, it was fully worth the investment.
    The quality of their work has led me to work with them for over 12 years.
    I’ll always recommend my colleagues to work with ROSSUL.

Web Design for Travel Insurance Company

"We're really excited by these early results. Every metric we’ve seen so far has been impressive."

Mar. 2018 – Nov. 2018.

Starting from wireframes, ROSSUL helped redesign a website to boost overall functionality and design. They worked on the UI/UX and helped code the frontend.

Santa Clara, California
SEO Specialist, Travel Insurance Company

Time spent on site has improved dramatically since the engagement began, while bounce rates have dropped. ROSSUL accepted constructive input well, but also brought creative ideas to the table at a reasonable value. Their consistent communication and responsiveness made them a valuable partner.

I’m the SEO and SEM specialist for a travel insurance company. Our customers visit our website to find the best travel insurance plans for them.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We needed to redo our website because the look of it was a quite dated. We want to have a modern site that is full-width, mobile-friendly, and easy to use.

ROSSUL helped us redesign the entire website, including the UX/UI. They created wireframes in Adobe InDesign and then shared them with us through that platform. We were able to go in and make comments on the different designs and where things need to be fleshed out.

They actually went ahead and helped us to code the frontend (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) as well. They also helped with gathering images for our blog. Once the code and the design was complete, they it passed off to us and we took it from there. We integrated it with our backend and got everything up and running.

We started out working with Eli (founder, ROSSUL) and the head designer. They had several other team members working behind the scenes. A few developers came onboard when we started the web design portion of the project, so we worked with a total of seven people.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

We looked at a number of different firms at a variety of price points. ROSSUL was an amazing fit due to the price that they offered and the work that they were willing to do. All the other firms were more expensive, and we weren't too impressed with their portfolios. ROSSUL has a great portfolio and the price was right in our budget.

The initial project to have 40 pages redesigned was between $20,000–$25,000. After we onboarded a couple more projects, the total price a bit more than $45,000.

The work took place from March–November 2018.

The new website just launched. In addition to making our site the leader in travel insurance, it's very important that we're relevant to our customers. The most important KPIs are bounce rate and time spent on site. Our bounce rate has decreased from 46% to 35%, which is great. Time spent on site has doubled. While being brand new might lead to more time spent exploring, users are consistently spending much more time on the site. The conversion rate has gone up as well. We're really excited by these early results. Every metric we’ve seen so far has been impressive.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

ROSSUL was able to meet our demands very quickly. We mostly communicated through email. They used Google Calendar for setting up meetings, and Google Hangouts for our calls. They were always available to discuss any sort of issue that we had. They’d quickly get on the phone with us to address the problem. ROSSUL used their expertise when we were at an impasse and didn't know what to do next. They led the project forward in terms of what we needed to do to get through those crucial points.

ROSSUL had an impressive ability to solve problems. If we didn’t like something about the design, they were able to quickly come up with a new design that we thought was really awesome. Previous designers would only be willing to make a small change, such as to a button. ROSSUL would make significant revisions if we asked them to. Then we’d work together to determine what looked best. They provided a lot of variety in their designs, and their opinion was really helpful.

Nothing comes to mind. We had a great time working with them, and we'll definitely use them again in the future.

Overall Score We really hit the jackpot with ROSSUL.
    They met all our deadlines and were very quick.
    They were the least expensive and provided the best designs.
    I’d recommend them for sure.

App UI/UX Design for Investment Company

"They approached it from the perspective of real users, which is always refreshing."

Feb. - May. 2018

ROSSUL is designing visuals for a fixed income trading application from metrics given by stakeholders and staff. They have staged several rounds of feedback to build a working InVision prototype.

Toronto, Canada
CTO, Financial Service Company

Internal feedback confirms that the prototype is clear, simple, and easy to use, fulfilling all requested metrics. ROSSUL's professionalism, constant availability, and deep knowledge of design make a positive impression.

I am the CTO of a fixed-income inter-dealer brokerage.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We’re building a trader application, and needed a professional partner to design the proper visuals.

ROSSUL met with our stakeholders to understand our challenges and asks. They sent us a set of questionnaires that my team filled out to identify our use cases and personas. They quickly put together a prototype using InVision. We use Google Hangouts and in-person meetings to give them feedback and help them understand our capabilities. We repeated the process until we had a working prototype. They’ve been patient in tweaking things and reaching our goal.

Three people are involved in the project, and their CEO steps in whenever a decision needs to be made. A couple very professional designers do most of the work.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I’ve known their owner for over 10 years. I’ve been following his career, and he has worked for us for some time.

We started working with ROSSUL in February or March 2018, and we finalized the initial scope last week. We are working with them in support mode to explore the possibility of contracting them for a few more tasks. We’ve been very pleased with the service.

All feedback so far has been internal. They’ve expanded the work to provide the exact feedback we want. Before starting the project, ROSSUL asked us for metrics. We mentioned contrast, compactness, and the ability to find things on the screen. We run through all these metrics internally on a regular basis. The deliverables meet them. Our team, and everyone who’s used a demo of the product, has given similar feedback.

They are professional and knowledgeable about design. Their CEO has taught a UI course at the University of Toronto. It’s rewarding and pleasant to deal with an expert.

They go out of their way to understand us, spending extra time to read about our business and understand what we do. They approach it from the perspective of real users, which is always refreshing.

We never feel rushed, and there are no conflicts or edge cases. They’re always available. They always pick up the phone and follow up. They take just enough time to resolve any issues we might have. Overall, it’s been a positive experience.

We’ve gotten all the attention we need, but I wish they had upward growth and hired more employees. The downside of this would be getting less time with the CEO.

We were far within budget.
    I would not hesitate at all.

Web Design & Dev for Online Health Insurance Brokerage

"Elia knew what I needed when I didn’t even know it myself, which was absolutely amazing."

2007 - Ongoing

ROSSUL provided web design and development services for a health insurance brokerage site, using intuitive and simple features to make it easily accessible for the client base.

Suffern, New York
Simon Bukai
CEO, Vista Health Solutions

By utilizing a thorough discovery phase, ROSSUL was able to understand the site’s unique business needs and translate that into an end product that achieved its every goal. Although the tools they used were fairly standard, their designer’s talent and eye for web development were exemplary.

I am the CEO of Vista Health Solutions, which is an online health insurance brokerage. We serve individuals, sole proprietors, and small groups, operating primarily in New York, although we are beginning to expand nationwide.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We needed to set up an intuitive website that would allow our customers to easily understand what they need to do in order to generate a quote. I do not have a UI/UX background, and I have no experience with designing a website. Although I had a general idea of what I wanted, I did not know how to relate that to a developer.

ROSSUL designed and developed the entire website from scratch. The biggest challenge was for them to make sure that our users would go to the site and be able to generate a quote within seconds, which they were able to achieve. I am not the strongest with technology, so although I believe they used standard languages such as PHP, HTML, and CSS, I could not tell you more than that. The website itself includes such features as a drop-down menu, a zip code entry field, and a “go” button, all of which is geared to enable an easy quote request transaction for our users.

That simple concept has carried our business for over 10 years. The site has required periodic cleaning up and updating, but the main concept still feels fresh because it didn’t use one of those canned templates you find on a lot of other business websites. Once they completed that initial design and development project for us, we have continued to use their services for additional development work. We might engage them for site expansions in the future.

I interacted directly with Elia Kanaki (CEO, ROSSUL), who acted as our de facto team lead and project manager. I don’t know the composition of their development team itself.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I was referred to them by someone who told me at length about Elia’s talent and skillset. At the time, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the idea of needing to design a website. When he and I had our initial interview, however, I got the immediate sense that he was able to visualize what I was trying to get across when I wasn’t even able to do that myself.

We have invested somewhere around $50,000 USD.

We first engaged them to design and build the website back in 2007, and the relationship is ongoing.

Although I do use Google Analytics to see our monthly page visitors, I believe the results from a different third party analysis service, which shows what buttons customers press, best demonstrates the impact of ROSSUL’s work. Those analytics demonstrate to us that the layout is intuitive and allows people to know exactly where to go on the site and what to do.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

Their approach to project management was very professional and was facilitated by the use of Basecamp. We also had regular meetings and a weekly phone call. We never had any problems communicating with them, although they are located in Canada while we are in New York. It never felt like their location was important. The most important thing to me was the initial phone call in which we learned about each other and built the level of trust and knowledge needed to successfully complete such an endeavor.

The steps Elia orchestrated for working on the project were well thought-out. At the outset, he asked me to condense what we needed into something between the length of one sentence to one paragraph. After that, he asked me about the overall market, the business and product itself, our own timeline, and, most importantly, for a distillation of what we were trying to achieve.

Elia knew what I needed when I didn’t even know it myself, which was absolutely amazing, and then translated that into the website’s design. He has a special talent for this business. Building a website for a health insurance brokerage is not the same as doing so for any other industry, and he was able to understand that and tailor the site to our specific needs. In my entire business career, I have never before encountered such a quick and intuitive design response.

Before the start of the collaboration, try to get across what you’re doing in no more than one paragraph. If you can’t distill your goals into something that length, then you don’t know what you need and you’re not ready to embark upon this type of project yet. As for ROSSUL-specific advice, just be willing to allow Elia to go through his process and listen to what he has to say. He’s very talented when it comes to being able to take your idea and bring it to fruition; you just need to let him run with it.

Overall Score The intuitive aspect of the finished product made all the difference in the world.
    He was able to state how long it would take and meet that deadline.
    I’m a small business, so cost is always an issue. That being said, we have engaged ROSSUL for over 10 years.
    The quality was outstanding and the end product was delivered on time, so I couldn’t ask for more.
    I recommend them all the time when I come across others who have a design need.

UI Design for Cloud Platform Startup

“ROSSUL had a framework for extracting undocumented information and knowledge.”

Mar. - May 2017

ROSSUL designed a modern user interface for an enterprise-based cloud data platform. They gathered requirements, built wireframes and UI skins, and documented the process.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Aditya Sharma
Founder & CEO, Crosscode Inc.

The new UI's user-friendly layout and visually appealing design attracted positive feedback from customers and improved internal efficiency. ROSSUL's meticulous organization, speedy deliveries, and thorough documentation process made them an exceptional long-term resource.

I am the founder and CEO of a startup. Our company has 40 members, and we’re headquartered in Minneapolis. We’ve built an industry-first cloud platform that’s proprietary and patented.

Our platform helps large organizations get a 360-degree perspective of the thousands of applications and databases available within their enterprise, allowing them to understand the dependencies between each, down to the code level. Organizations can then conduct impact analysis and assessments in real time around what would happen if they were to change one or more components. Our platform lets them see what else would be impacted within the organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We had a running backend that was performing as expected, but we did not have a professional user interface for our technology. Initially, we had built one out ourselves to conduct tests and make an initial prototype, but we fully understood that it was not what we should be going to market with. We needed a professional design firm to help us create a frontend and help with user experience so that we could gain market acceptance.

ROSSUL designed a professional-looking UI for our technology and helped define our user experience. They had a good framework to start with, keeping in mind that startups are never good with documentation—much of the thought process was in the minds of the founders and the key engineering folks, but not necessarily on paper.

ROSSUL was able to quickly extract the knowledge and information that resided not only with me, but also with key members of my team. They translated all that into our technology’s look and feel. They delivered what we called wireframes or UI skins, which we integrated into the existing backend technology.

They assigned 3–5 members. I didn’t have an exact view of the total team size, but I recall a few names from our emails. We used JIRA for project management. The implementation was handled by our internal team.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

We created a shortlist of potential firms to help us do this. The initial list came from market research consultants who were helping us with business planning, the validation of our technology, and a few other things. Our consultants put together a list of 6–8 firms that could help us with UI design, and ROSSUL was one of them.

We reached out to all candidates and shortlisted three. After researching numerous UI design firms, we chose to go with ROSSUL. They had a framework and knew how to get the information they needed from us. The rest of the firms we evaluated were unable to commit to our timeframe.

The cost of their work was $25,000–$30,000.

We started working with them around the middle of March 2017. We were done by the middle of May.

Internally, the impact has been phenomenal. We accomplished a number of things we couldn’t approach before the UI design was implemented. We’ve also gotten good feedback from external customers. While our technology won’t be available for commercial release until October 15, it has already been demonstrated to a number of Fortune companies, around six so far. The feedback has been positive and encouraging from potential customers. We have also determined what can be improved in the next releases.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

We had no issues in this regard. ROSSUL was able to communicate with us during the RFP [request for proposal] phase that they would be able to deliver within 10 weeks at most.

The biggest advantage was that ROSSUL had a framework for extracting undocumented information and knowledge. From our perspective, this was one of their biggest accomplishments.

Eli [Founder & Creative Director, ROSSUL] and his team were very professional and had a plan to get started. We got a fresh, modern yet very simple and intuitive UI in less than 10 weeks. We are extremely pleased and will be happy to work with them for all of our future UI needs.

Creativity is an area where there’s definitely room for improvement. However, we knew from the start that implementing a UI for a technology as complex as ours would not be easy. It wouldn’t be perfect from the first pass. There would be additional iterations needed, but so far, so good.