Design is simple

ROSSUL is one of the top UI/UX design firms in Canada, with more than 15 years of experience creating highly usable and intuitive designs for the B2B market. Our attention to detail and UX design expertise are what makes us one of the top UX design firms in North America. Together, we’ll improve the usability and usefulness of your apps for optimal user experience.

2003
Toronto, Canada
  • ROSSUL
    607-18 Wynford Dr
    Toronto, ON M3C 3S2
    416.964.2212

Libro, ABB, Pepsico, Hatch, Orea, Covidien, Johnson Controls.

Web Design & Dev for Online Health Insurance Brokerage

"Elia knew what I needed when I didn’t even know it myself, which was absolutely amazing."

2007 - Ongoing

ROSSUL provided web design and development services for a health insurance brokerage site, using intuitive and simple features to make it easily accessible for the client base.

Suffern, New York
Simon Bukai
CEO, Vista Health Solutions

By utilizing a thorough discovery phase, ROSSUL was able to understand the site’s unique business needs and translate that into an end product that achieved its every goal. Although the tools they used were fairly standard, their designer’s talent and eye for web development were exemplary.

I am the CEO of Vista Health Solutions, which is an online health insurance brokerage. We serve individuals, sole proprietors, and small groups, operating primarily in New York, although we are beginning to expand nationwide.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We needed to set up an intuitive website that would allow our customers to easily understand what they need to do in order to generate a quote. I do not have a UI/UX background, and I have no experience with designing a website. Although I had a general idea of what I wanted, I did not know how to relate that to a developer.

ROSSUL designed and developed the entire website from scratch. The biggest challenge was for them to make sure that our users would go to the site and be able to generate a quote within seconds, which they were able to achieve. I am not the strongest with technology, so although I believe they used standard languages such as PHP, HTML, and CSS, I could not tell you more than that. The website itself includes such features as a drop-down menu, a zip code entry field, and a “go” button, all of which is geared to enable an easy quote request transaction for our users.

That simple concept has carried our business for over 10 years. The site has required periodic cleaning up and updating, but the main concept still feels fresh because it didn’t use one of those canned templates you find on a lot of other business websites. Once they completed that initial design and development project for us, we have continued to use their services for additional development work. We might engage them for site expansions in the future.

I interacted directly with Elia Kanaki (CEO, ROSSUL), who acted as our de facto team lead and project manager. I don’t know the composition of their development team itself.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I was referred to them by someone who told me at length about Elia’s talent and skillset. At the time, I was somewhat overwhelmed by the idea of needing to design a website. When he and I had our initial interview, however, I got the immediate sense that he was able to visualize what I was trying to get across when I wasn’t even able to do that myself.

We have invested somewhere around $50,000 USD.

We first engaged them to design and build the website back in 2007, and the relationship is ongoing.

Although I do use Google Analytics to see our monthly page visitors, I believe the results from a different third party analysis service, which shows what buttons customers press, best demonstrates the impact of ROSSUL’s work. Those analytics demonstrate to us that the layout is intuitive and allows people to know exactly where to go on the site and what to do.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

Their approach to project management was very professional and was facilitated by the use of Basecamp. We also had regular meetings and a weekly phone call. We never had any problems communicating with them, although they are located in Canada while we are in New York. It never felt like their location was important. The most important thing to me was the initial phone call in which we learned about each other and built the level of trust and knowledge needed to successfully complete such an endeavor.

The steps Elia orchestrated for working on the project were well thought-out. At the outset, he asked me to condense what we needed into something between the length of one sentence to one paragraph. After that, he asked me about the overall market, the business and product itself, our own timeline, and, most importantly, for a distillation of what we were trying to achieve.

Elia knew what I needed when I didn’t even know it myself, which was absolutely amazing, and then translated that into the website’s design. He has a special talent for this business. Building a website for a health insurance brokerage is not the same as doing so for any other industry, and he was able to understand that and tailor the site to our specific needs. In my entire business career, I have never before encountered such a quick and intuitive design response.

Before the start of the collaboration, try to get across what you’re doing in no more than one paragraph. If you can’t distill your goals into something that length, then you don’t know what you need and you’re not ready to embark upon this type of project yet. As for ROSSUL-specific advice, just be willing to allow Elia to go through his process and listen to what he has to say. He’s very talented when it comes to being able to take your idea and bring it to fruition; you just need to let him run with it.

Overall Score The intuitive aspect of the finished product made all the difference in the world.
    He was able to state how long it would take and meet that deadline.
    I’m a small business, so cost is always an issue. That being said, we have engaged ROSSUL for over 10 years.
    The quality was outstanding and the end product was delivered on time, so I couldn’t ask for more.
    I recommend them all the time when I come across others who have a design need.

UI Design for Cloud Platform Startup

“ROSSUL had a framework for extracting undocumented information and knowledge.”

Mar. - May 2017

ROSSUL designed a modern user interface for an enterprise-based cloud data platform. They gathered requirements, built wireframes and UI skins, and documented the process.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Aditya Sharma
Founder & CEO, Crosscode Inc.

The new UI's user-friendly layout and visually appealing design attracted positive feedback from customers and improved internal efficiency. ROSSUL's meticulous organization, speedy deliveries, and thorough documentation process made them an exceptional long-term resource.

I am the founder and CEO of a startup. Our company has 40 members, and we’re headquartered in Minneapolis. We’ve built an industry-first cloud platform that’s proprietary and patented.

Our platform helps large organizations get a 360-degree perspective of the thousands of applications and databases available within their enterprise, allowing them to understand the dependencies between each, down to the code level. Organizations can then conduct impact analysis and assessments in real time around what would happen if they were to change one or more components. Our platform lets them see what else would be impacted within the organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

We had a running backend that was performing as expected, but we did not have a professional user interface for our technology. Initially, we had built one out ourselves to conduct tests and make an initial prototype, but we fully understood that it was not what we should be going to market with. We needed a professional design firm to help us create a frontend and help with user experience so that we could gain market acceptance.

ROSSUL designed a professional-looking UI for our technology and helped define our user experience. They had a good framework to start with, keeping in mind that startups are never good with documentation—much of the thought process was in the minds of the founders and the key engineering folks, but not necessarily on paper.

ROSSUL was able to quickly extract the knowledge and information that resided not only with me, but also with key members of my team. They translated all that into our technology’s look and feel. They delivered what we called wireframes or UI skins, which we integrated into the existing backend technology.

They assigned 3–5 members. I didn’t have an exact view of the total team size, but I recall a few names from our emails. We used JIRA for project management. The implementation was handled by our internal team.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

We created a shortlist of potential firms to help us do this. The initial list came from market research consultants who were helping us with business planning, the validation of our technology, and a few other things. Our consultants put together a list of 6–8 firms that could help us with UI design, and ROSSUL was one of them.

We reached out to all candidates and shortlisted three. After researching numerous UI design firms, we chose to go with ROSSUL. They had a framework and knew how to get the information they needed from us. The rest of the firms we evaluated were unable to commit to our timeframe.

The cost of their work was $25,000–$30,000.

We started working with them around the middle of March 2017. We were done by the middle of May.

Internally, the impact has been phenomenal. We accomplished a number of things we couldn’t approach before the UI design was implemented. We’ve also gotten good feedback from external customers. While our technology won’t be available for commercial release until October 15, it has already been demonstrated to a number of Fortune companies, around six so far. The feedback has been positive and encouraging from potential customers. We have also determined what can be improved in the next releases.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

We had no issues in this regard. ROSSUL was able to communicate with us during the RFP [request for proposal] phase that they would be able to deliver within 10 weeks at most.

The biggest advantage was that ROSSUL had a framework for extracting undocumented information and knowledge. From our perspective, this was one of their biggest accomplishments.

Eli [Founder & Creative Director, ROSSUL] and his team were very professional and had a plan to get started. We got a fresh, modern yet very simple and intuitive UI in less than 10 weeks. We are extremely pleased and will be happy to work with them for all of our future UI needs.

Creativity is an area where there’s definitely room for improvement. However, we knew from the start that implementing a UI for a technology as complex as ours would not be easy. It wouldn’t be perfect from the first pass. There would be additional iterations needed, but so far, so good.

UX Redesign of Online Banking System

"They are incredible designers. They do really strong work."

2013 - Ongoing

ROSSUL helped update an online banking system, both front and backend. They focused on UX and UI for web and mobile, making payment functionalities more intuitive, and providing a more personalized experience.

London, Ontario
Michael Ketelaars
Manager, Libro Credit Union

ROSSUL is an honest team that provides challenging suggestions, and their work has directly resulted in increased engagement. Their project management skills are improving as they move towards an Agile methodology, and they’re a talented design team focused on intuitive UX and modernization.

Libro Credit Union is a credit union in London, Ontario that services southwestern Ontario. We have 31 branches. We’re a full-service financial institution offering all the products you would expect from any financial institution. My role specifically is digital banking manager. I oversee our online and mobile banking offerings that allow our current customers, which we call owners, the ability to log into their account and manage their holdings at Libro, pay bills, transfer money and all the things you come to expect from an online bank.

What challenge were you trying to address with ROSSUL?

When we first started working with ROSSUL, we had a very dated online banking system which hadn’t been really rewritten since 2001. We had some minor updates to it, but the user interface and even the backend technology was on a very old system. We were actually forced to update our backend because of a requirement. We decided it would be a great opportunity to rewrite our content as well. We struggled doing that internally, which is when we started looking for an external provider. They helped us rewrite our front and back, which we launched in 2014, and then, more recently, we decided to rewrite our mobile banking as well for consistency’s sake and because we were very pleased with the work of ROSSUL.

We looked to work with them again, and we just launched in the last two months, actually. We don’t have any user interface designers or user experience experts internally. What we were looking for from ROSSUL was someone to bring that expertise who would even help us test our prototypes before we actually went to market to make sure that we were more confident in them, and to give us somebody to help us create a design methodology to ensure that our interface doesn’t get too dated and that we can continue to enhance it over time.

They helped us rewrite our frontend and backend which we launched in 2014. It was a full rewrite of our online banking. At the time, users could go into a really simplistic website, pay bills, transfer money, edit future date of payment, and that was about it. There was no personalization to the website at all, and it was not modern by any sense of the word.

The work that ROSSUL did was help us create a more personalized experience, so users could see their own user profile, upload images of themselves, see images of their financial advisor, which we call “coaches” at Libro. They could more intuitively do all the payments and money transfers that they required.

ROSSUL wasn’t tasked to create any new money movement functionality in any way. That’s not necessarily their job. It was really to make the features that we already had more intuitive. They reworked all the processes that the user was using. More recently, we decided to rewrite our mobile banking, as well, for consistency’s sake and because we were very pleased with the work of ROSSUL. We just launched that in the last two months.

Eli is the main stakeholder there and seems to do most of the design work. I know that they have a developer that I don’t believe is in the country. I believe the partner is situated somewhere else. I believe he has a couple designers, as well. With the mobile work, he introduced us to three new designers. One started off as kind of an intern and helped us do the user experience testing, who also ended up doing some design work, as well. When they worked on the first project, they had a user experience tester as well, at the time, which he contracted out for our project.

How did you come to work with ROSSUL?

I believe we originally stumbled across them through Google AdWords. We liked that they were local and we explored their website to see their previous work. At the time, we were slightly crunched, because we had tried to do the work internally at first. We were at a time where, without changing our launch date, we couldn’t go through an RFP process. We reached out to ROSSUL and got them to do a quote for us and pitch us without looking at anybody else. We did some reference checks on them and were satisfied with what we saw. We were also satisfied with their work.

In between the two projects, we did have the opportunity to work with some other providers, and it created more confidence in our liking for ROSSUL versus some other partners that we’ve used in the past. We like their methodology and their ability to stay on time.

Sometimes I find, internally, you can have this opinion that challenges your designers to step out of their comfort zone and not really do what they think is right, or not really have any kind of scientific backing, but ROSSUL has really pushed us to let the process work. We liked that, and it improved the results.

How much have you invested with ROSSUL?

We’ve spent between $300,000 and $350,000 on the two projects.

We started working with them in 2013, and the work is ongoing. They are continuing to monitor and help us modify our mobile work. We just launched that at the beginning of the last month, and so they’re still on contract with us to monitor the feedback, make any changes, and fix any bugs. We are looking to work with them for another project in the future.

The usage of our platforms has gone up tremendously since our rewrite in 2014. I don’t have any stats on the mobile project since it just launched. I receive all the negative and positive feedback on the project. The overwhelming testimonial at the beginning was almost all about time and relief. Our usage per user increased dramatically. We track user engagement and where we used to see around one login per month, we saw that get closer to three. There has been more for the user to engage with, especially in terms of messaging and communicating with their financial advisor.

How did ROSSUL perform from a project management standpoint?

Between the two projects, it changed quite a bit. I’d say that the system that they used the second time around was better for us. They used a more visual Gantt chart for us to follow along, which it seemed like the whole team was utilizing. They also used JIRA, which was helpful. They’re moving more toward an Agile methodology. I don’t think they’re fully there, but they’re definitely using some of its best practices, which we’ve been trying to implement a little bit internally as well. I know that they use Slack between their teams, but they didn’t use Slack between the two organizations because we don’t use it internally.

What did you find most impressive about ROSSUL?

The one thing that’s always stood out for me is their honesty and their willingness to push us into directions that might not be the most comfortable for the organization, but just to challenge us to be a bit more modern. As a financial institution, we’re comfortable in being a bit more traditional, and we’ve needed a bit of a push. Being able to talk candidly and honestly with them has been refreshing, rather than just being a “yes” company and doing what they’re asked.

They are incredible designers. They do really strong work. We’ve worked with a few different agencies, and seeing their projects go from wireframing to life is something that’s always exciting to see. Their focus on the user is something that they’ve pushed on us. We've been told to ignore the internal reasons for why we think something should work a certain way, and instead focus on how the user is going to intuitively think about something. That’s been a good lesson for us and something that they’ve definitely taught us.

Are there any areas ROSSUL could improve?

We definitely saw some improvement over the two projects. Any missed deadlines were usually our fault. We have so many moving projects at the same time that it’s very often we can get ourselves off track. But their improvements in project management the second time around allowed us to see it more visually when we were getting off track, and allowed us to collaborate and make changes on the move. There’s probably still some progress to be made in their project management. I think he knows it which is why he’s been modifying his process over time.

Overall Score It would be hard to give them a five based on the fact that I didn’t give them fives across the board, but they’re a tremendous group to work with. They’re fun. They engage you extremely well, and they push you to produce some great outcomes.
    I think there is probably room for improvement, but they’re showing their ability to cater to what the client needs in terms of scheduling and being flexible and pushing us towards their deadlines, which is helpful.
    We haven’t done too many RFPs, but we have worked with a couple. I think they’re competitive. They definitely work with you very closely, so the amount of time that you might not even be billed for is useful. They’re very flexible.
    The work that they’ve delivered to us has been above expectations. We’ve definitely always been satisfied with the output, and our customers have overwhelmingly stated that they’ve enjoyed the enhancements produced by ROSSUL.
    They’ve definitely been our favorite partner to work with over the years, since I’ve been at Libro. We’ve always been satisfied with their work and the relationship.

UX Redesign for Legacy Platform & Additional Design Projects

"It's been great to have a partner whose recommendations we can trust."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

A software company in the insurance and risk management industry engaged Rossul for a UX redesign of a legacy platform. Their work continues on to include logo design, web design, and tradeshow displays.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Paul McLaughlin
President, APP Technologies

Rossul is distinctive in the degree of beauty and polish of what they do. They make trustworthy recommendations and invest time understanding a user base before getting to work. They’re a versatile team with great communication skills and a good sense of what will realistically be effective.

APP Technologies sells software to the insurance and risk management industry. We also run a very large reporting platform for sending claims to the federal government for Medicare. I am the president of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Rossul?

We had a legacy application which needed a refresh. We were putting out a brand new version of this longstanding system and wanted to have a user-interface which stood out from all others. It was during a search for firms that had UI/UX expertise that we found Rossul.

Our end-to-end claims management system allows claims and risk managers to track information related to insurance claims. It is the operational system which is used by these professionals for every minute of the day at their jobs. We need to manage all their documents, keep track of notes, and provide the ability to manage the workflow, financials, and reporting. It's a comprehensive system with a broad base of capability. We were looking to deliver all this functionality to our users in an elegant way from the cloud.

We engaged Rossul for the development of our userinterface. That involved looking at our current product, helping identify the different personas of users. Rossul spent a lot of time thinking about our user base, what their motivation is, and what important information they need to deal with. They crafted different narratives around each of these different roles. We gave Rossul access to our current system and they created wireframes in order to give us a look at the new user flow. We were focused a lot on the UX aspects and, once we locked all of that down, Rossul designed a colorized, fleshed-out version for us. We continued to work with them on HTML and other coding assets, which we could hand directly to our developers.

This is a new product but the software that inspired it was developed completely in-house, and we've been working on it for the last 14 years.

I worked closely with four key people from Rossul's team, including Elia Kanaki, their founder. He also had a developer and a couple of designers involved.

How did you come to work with Rossul?

We knew what kind of service we were looking for, and spent a lot of time online looking for possible partners. We narrowed our list to four companies. There were some groups who made very sleek presentations and had distinguished names headlining and advising for the company but, at the end of the day, I was convinced that Rossul was the right choice. This was partly based on the portfolio on their website: there was a degree of polish and beauty to what they did that was unique from other groups. I got in touch with Rossul's founder and liked his approach and his way of thinking. I specifically asked him to be a part of our project and he had no problem leading the work.

We started working with Rossul in December 2015. The project wrapped up in September 2016. We've reengaged with Rossul for logo and branding design for our company. We've also had them design a new website and a tradeshow display. We've kept going back because the quality is just great. The partnership is ongoing.

Our application is still in development. We're in the process of preselling it, so there will be another six to twelve months before we will see any hard, statistical information in terms of before-and-after sales data. But I would say that I've been delighted with the attention and care provided by Rossul during our project. Elia has an uncommon intuition around design and the team is extremely versatile. We would sometimes be in the middle of a design discussion and I would suggest some changes. Rossul could gently but firmly point out why my thinking wasn't in the users' best interests. I've often been persuaded to Rossul's point of view but they've certainly listened and gotten creative when it was clear we needed to go deeper in some area based on what I wanted and stated. They have a very good sense of what will and won't work. It's been great to have a partner whose recommendations we can trust.

How did Rossul perform from a project management standpoint?

I feel that the projects we've worked on with Rossul have been managed very well. Like any project, there were a few snags, but, in general, Rossul has been very good about communicating how things are going, where expectations need to be realigned, and so on. They've been very good overall in terms of communication and making sure that everyone understands where they need to be and what is expected of them. Rossul has made sure that there is a high degree of collaboration, so that the project will keep moving forward.

What did you find most impressive about Rossul?

Everything I've mentioned so far I would classify as unusual characteristics. I don't think that there are very many companies which really take an interest in aproject the way Rossul does. I was convinced that the work done by Rossul was about more than making a buck. They were invested in a quality outcome for our project. They take pride in their work because their name is associated with it but Rossul also genuinely wanted for us to put our best face forward. I would say that there was a personal stake put in by Rossul in order to help us deliver a standout result. I've been in business for 15 years and have found few companies which have that kind of interest in forging a really good partnership.

Are there any areas Rossul could improve?

I could probably cherry-pick some isolated things along the line but it wouldn’t point to anything material. Any place where there was an issue, it was resolved quickly by Rossul. I can't think of anything negative.

Overall Score Rossul has been an absolute pleasure to work with.
    Rossul did a great job in laying out the project and managing it.
    I didn't see anything on Rossul's side which could have impacted our cost performance.
    Everything we expected was delivered with the highest quality.
    Selfishly, I want to keep them all to myself.

Multiple Design Projects for Large Materials Firm

"Their designs have definitely met our needs, and I would definitely work with them again."

2015 - 2017

Rossul incorporated consistent branding across client-facing web and mobile applications. They created guidelines for future branding on reports and designed wireframes for a launchpad and landing page.

5,001 - 10,000

Mississauga, Ontario
Director, Hatch

Rossul’s rebranding efforts have let to a more consistent look and feel, and their UX training session yielded positive results in-house. Attentive and speedy, Rossul consistently delivered high-quality designs on all projects.

I'm the global discipline director for a privately owned, global engineering firm. We provide engineering and consulting services to the mining, metals, and infrastructure industries, and we operate on four continents. I’m responsible for the development teams here at Hatch working on custom-developed web applications, mobile applications, and third-party configurations and reporting.

What challenge were you trying to address with Rossul?

We develop custom mobile and web applications here at Hatch, and we do a lot of reporting. We wanted to create a consistent UI across our applications and reporting. We recently went through a rebranding process, which was quite significant. We changed the look and feel for the organization externally to clients, and we wanted to incorporate that new image into our applications.

Rossul helped us with incorporating the rebranding image into two things. One was a reporting and guidelines standard, in terms of how we develop and deliver static reports to the business, as well as analytics, graphs, and heat maps. We used the rebranding colors, positioning, and fonts to create a standard guideline for the organization to follow, to ensure a consistent look and feel for our internal reporting.

We then created a web application, mobile application, and UI design standard guideline based on the material design framework, using the same branding. We tried to create that consistent look and feel across our platform. Most recently, Rossul has helped us with user experience. They conducted a workshop here for our teams to get an introduction to user experience best practices and principles.

We’ve also worked with Rossul on a few projects around user experience. They helped to design mockups and wireframes of two things. One is an internal, SAP Fiori launchpad. They helped us create a mockup of a new image for that landing page, as well as our SharePoint homepage. Those designs are then given to our internal team to implement and develop.

Throughout our relationship, I’ve worked mostly with Eli. Recently, we’ve also been working with Will Patrick, who was engaged in the UX workshop and helped with the SAP Fiori launchpad redesign.

How did you come to work with Rossul?

I wasn’t involved at the time, so I’m not sure how the connection was made.

How much have you invested with Rossul?

We’ve invested $30,000-50,000.

We began working with them in 2015. As of last week, we finished the engagement for the SAP Fiori dashboard redesign. We don’t have anything upcoming, but we will continue to work with them.

We have successfully implemented the reporting guideline standards, as well as the material design web application framework. We’ve had very favorable results within the organization compared to what we had before. The organization is now set on the right path, being able to provide a consistent look and feel now, which we didn’t have before.

Most of the work Eli does for us is internal. The feedback we received from the web redesign was very favorable. People are very happy with it. It’s very clean, and it follows our branding. The workshop was well done. The deliverable from the workshop was really an introduction, and they did that.

How did Rossul perform from a project management standpoint?

The projects we do with them are not that long, so we don’t go through project plans or deliverable dates. We flesh those out together. Eli is very attentive in terms of immediate response whenever I reach out to him. The turnaround time is very quick. I’ve never had a situation in which he wasn’t available to actively start working on it for us, which is a good thing.

What did you find most impressive about Rossul?

I haven’t worked with other design firms, so I can’t compare. However, I have nothing but good things to say about them. They’ve been very professional and attentive. Their designs have definitely met our needs, and I would definitely work with them again.

Are there any areas Rossul could improve?

No. I don’t have any concerns.

Overall Score I have a good working relationship with their organization. They’re very knowledgeable and skilled in the areas for which we needed their services.
    They consistently met every timeline we had.
    We’ve negotiated with them on certain projects. They’re flexible with that, which is very good.