Let’s Make Something Great Together

In the past eight years Rootstrap has enabled leading Fortune 100 companies, celebrities and startups to innovate and scale their digital solutions.

Our team is comprised of over 70 world-class software engineers, UX/UI designers, growth hackers, product strategists, and project managers across Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Montevideo, and Buenos Aires. No underqualified contractors, ever.

Our award-winning private incubator and pre-development workshop, Discovery, helps both large enterprises and startups prototype and validate their ideas quickly and efficiently.

Companies like Disney, Salesforce, Epson, Spotify and Microsoft have trusted us to build products that have received millions of downloads across multiple platforms.

• We taught Google how to run design sprints.
  • We’re helping MasterClass achieve their goal of $100M in revenue.
  • We’ve given Globalization Partners $300,000+ in savings.
  • 25 startups have secured VC funding with an average of $200K.
  • Our largest Discovery alum has been acquired for $25M.

As digital masters, we've designed, developed, and delivered world-class digital products that have created meaningful growth and value for audiences worldwide.

Let’s build something great together: [email protected]

West Hollywood, CA

Spotify

Die Antwoord

Live Nation

MASTERCLASS

They wanted the tools to scale. We outfitted them with the best engineers in the world.

MasterClass is an immersive online experience that allows anyone to take classes with the world's most talented professionals. They were searching for a world-class development team to act as an extension of their own. We delivered with efficient, integrated, and transparent development processes at a fraction of

average industry rates.

From burgeoning early stage startup, to massive online education empire.

We embedded our team to help scale their development. Starting with just a handful of developers, we scaled up to over 15 engineers working on MasterClass’ internal projects. This was so successful they eventually requested our team to vet their own in-house developers. The result? We managed to augment their dev team with world-class talent, resulting in massive growth: taking them from 50M to 100M revenue in a few short years.

TONY ROBBINS

We took an established icon and transformed him into a legend.

Tony Robbins is best known as America’s #1 life & business strategist. While he had built a powerful coaching empire, we helped him modernize his content library, navigate the transition to digital, and undergo a dramatic improvement of his entire operations. We transformed his executive staff into a highly-responsive team capable of

adapting to a fast-paced, dynamic environment.

We didn’t just take his brand digital. We made it a digital household name.

Working with us, he saw a return on his development investment in less than 30 days with Breakthrough University: a UX-focused mobile solution that gamified his entire life coaching program and drove millions of downloads. After the first app, we helped with a seamless transition of engineering tasks to their internal team and continued the momentum with 4 more apps for the Robbins’ growing empire.

GOOGLE

A tech titan was looking to innovate. We helped them transform.

The Google team wanted to create the world’s most streamlined project management tool. They aimed to transform both business processes and software systems with a new product suite that would make work more efficient and agile. With us on their side, they were able to validate their early concept through an in-depth discovery

process.

We delivered an actionable and clear roadmap in less than 48 hours.

We developed a brief that delineated the goals, logistics, team, and schedule. Then, found innovative ways of transforming both processes and tooling. With our data, the Google Opus team began user testing and iterating on the solution we created and used this rock-solid foundation to expand into the greater requirements of the full Opus product suite. The result? We helped Google define a clear vision and action steps for their entire year in just two days.

MERRY JANE

We took the vision of media’s top Dogg and disrupted a budding industry.

Merry Jane was envisioned as the GQ for Cannabis by hip-hop superstar/venture capitalist Snoop Dogg and his tech team. The discovery platform, website, and mobile app were designed to disrupt the nascent CBD and Cannabis space through engaging and highly developed content, delivered through first-class technologies and

channels.

We didn’t just build a new brand. We launched the definitive cannabis culture resource.

We developed all branding (including logos, tone of voice, and storytelling) and created the media platforms and apps from top to bottom, from sketch work to wireframing to marketing. Ultimately, the high-concept digital platform was able to raise over $5M from angel and VC networks, including celebrities like Seth Rogen and Miley Cyrus.

EPSON

They needed custom labeling for complex equipment. We delivered.

Epson had one of the best label printers in the country but needed a cross-platform software interface that would work for the largest businesses in the world. We developed an iOS and Android app that was fully platform agnostic, equally at home on a smartphone, tablet, Mac, or PC. Epson Datacom became a versatile and incredibly

intuitive printing experience that streamlined workflow for millions of professionals nationwide.

They wanted game-changing smart glasses. We helped them see the future.

The team at Epson Ventures built a beautiful, functional portal into Augmented Reality in their Moverio smart glasses, but they needed a way to impactfully demonstrate their full capabilities. We came to them with a solution: a series of games and apps designed to be engaging and to demonstrate the full spectrum of AR & VR capabilities behind the glasses.

WESTIME

A luxury brand wanted to expand. We made them an online powerhouse.

The luxury watch market has been stagnant since being disrupted by the long-tail growth of the Apple Watch. Westime planned to bring creativity and innovation back with a line of forward-thinking legacy pieces, and they needed a new online presence that captured that bold vision and drive.

A modern version of an old

vision, performing like clockwork.

We became the (collective) CTO for the Westime brand, building out crucial online features, streamlining and maintaining their core eCommerce platform, and helping to bring their online voice, vision, and functionality up to the standard their luxury pieces represent. Our overhaul increased conversions and performance, with a fully responsive and mobile-enhanced presence that helped watch enthusiasts embrace the brand using the technology they know.

LOFTEY

They wanted to dominate real estate. We disrupted brick and mortar with modern tech.

The real estate industry is one of the oldest verticals in the world and was primed for disruption. That’s an opportunity that Rootstrap and Loftety recognized when we partnered to build a cutting-edge apartment discovery platform. We took the concept and validation of the Loftey MVP and turned it into a complete

end-to-end product that allows users to find, filter, and discover apartments and real estate opportunities through a web app built to grow with the company’s targets and timeframes.

We turned a million-dollar idea into a million-dollar reality.

Our work on Loftey set the company up for long-term success with the platform achieving $2Million+ in annual revenue and becoming a growth platform with a steadily increasing valuation and customer base who continue to embrace the user-friendly approach to real estate sales and discovery.

SALTED

They were looking for a development team. We became a Sous-Chef for the entire platform.

Saltedtv.com is an immersive crash course in culinary education without having to attend a brick and mortar institution. Working on the platform as a development lab, we completed all the concept work, laid out the workflows and development planning, and took on the mantle of co-CTO, working directly with

their technical lead to have the product developed and successfully launched.

A strong recipe for a future of healthy growth.

Through our work, Saltedtv.com pitched for and secured millions of dollars in Angel and VC funding. While many of their competitors have struggled, both post-IPO and in additional funding rounds, the completeness of Salted.com’s approach and the quality of their product has been a marker of high potential in the cooking and food tech space.

ONE DOOR

They were looking to build a new product. We opened the door to lucrative partnership.

Together One Door and Rootstrap created the Merchandising Cloud, custom kiosk software that provides a solution to merchandising management for Fortune 500 clients. One Door now represents one of our largest scale clients as we maintain a dedicated agile team of 10 engineers, designers, and developers working

full-time maintaining and iterating the software.

Head in the cloud and $20,000,000 worth of scale.

Working with our team has enabled One Door to scale their development capabilities at a cost-effective rate and optimal speed. For 3+ years, One Door has worked closely with Rootstrap’s dedicated team to identify and reach high-growth revenue targets and through this work, have been able to unlock $20M in venture financing.

Design & Development for Online Video Platform

"I felt comfortable speaking to their leadership about anything."

Oct. 2018 - Jan. 2019

Rootstrap developed an MVP. They assisted during the roadmap process and helped design the platform's UX from a user perspective.

California
Founder, Video Platform

The MVP was well received. The team is knowledgeable and works through obstacles efficiently. Customers can expect strong leadership and frequent communication.

I’m the founder of an online video storytelling platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Rootstrap?

I wanted to meet with a development firm to cultivate and refine our product design.

We worked with them for a full development cycle to build an MVP. Rootstrap helped me design the UX/UI of the platform and we mapped out everything step-by-step from a user perspective. The fronted uses React.js, S3, and AWS CloudFront. The backend uses Rails API, a PostgreSQL database, and deploys into Heroku.

I worked with their VP of strategy, a tech lead, a UX designer, and a scrum master.

How did you come to work with Rootstrap?

We met Rootstrap while we were developing a road map for the solution. They had the technical capabilities to assist us with the project.

We’ve invested more than $70,000.

We began working together in October 2018 and completed the project in January 2019.

We’re happy with the team overall and the MVP they created.

How did Rootstrap perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always available, despite one of our designers who was working from Uruguay. We used Slack for communication and they were never late for a meeting. Collaboration might have been smoother if we were all in the same room but overall, I was pleased with how effectively the team managed our project.

The team leadership was phenomenal and the VP of strategy was very professional. When I had an issue or complaint, they addressed it directly and adequately. I felt comfortable speaking to their leadership about anything.

I think they could’ve assigned a more seasoned designer for one of the positions on my team. Additionally, I think the communication could have been better about what I could expect in terms of graphic design and art.

Custom Software Dev for Marketing SaaS Platform

"The project went well, and we've been working together since."

June 2018 - Ongoing

Rootstrap built a SaaS platform in Ruby and React for a marketing agency. The collaboration is ongoing.

San Diego, California
Vice President of Operations, Marketing Agency

The solution meets all requirements, leading to more work for Rootstrap. Attentive and responsive, the team provides insights into business goals, solves problems, and remains accessible and professional.

I’m the VP of operations and acting product owner of a marketing agency.

For what projects/services did your company hire Rootstrap?

We worked with Rootstrap in Q2 of 2018 to expand our proof of concept—a SaaS platform for e-commerce companies—into a fully developed solution.

Rootstrap developed our platform using Ruby and React. They used a detailed process that helps startups like ourselves.

The project went well, and we've been working together since. The Rootstrap team have been engaged throughout the process, responsive to our needs and collaborating on business goals and solutions.

All the staff for our project is located within the same office. They act diligently and professionally. There were no issues with time differences, language barriers, or scaling as necessary. The team is always accessible and friendly.

Their services are more expensive than other options, but worth it.
    There are very few bugs in each release.

Mobile App Dev for Matchmaking Platform

"Rootstrap is a creative team that’s easy to work with."

Sept. 2018 - Feb. 2019

Rootstrap built a native iOS application for a matchmaking dating service. After a six-week onboarding process, the team designed and developed the app. It is available for download in the app store.

CEO, Dating App

Despite recently launching, the app has received thousands of downloads. Rootstrap’s team is responsive and dedicated. They provide sage advice, challenging their clients. Expect an efficient workflow while working with their innovative team.

I’m the founder and CEO of a traditional matchmaking application. We’re bridging the gap between dating apps and traditional high-priced matchmaking services.

What challenge were you trying to address with Rootstrap?

I hired Rootstrap to build my product. I had an idea about what I wanted the app to look like and do, but I’ve never made one before. I knew that talking to them and having them take a look was the best way to make my vision a reality.

We had a six-week onboarding process that laid out the best ways to develop and design the app. Rootstrap recommended a native iOS application. I wanted the design to be sleek and high-end, using black and gold to give the app a classy look. I discussed how I wanted the designs and layout to be. They improved upon my ideas.

I worked with a team of four. There was a scrummaster, frontend developer, backend developer, and a designer.

How did you come to work with Rootstrap?

A friend referred them to me. I liked that Rootstrap wasn’t full of yes-men. I had met with several product developers that said they could do anything and made the process seem shiny and smooth. The team at Rootstrap was different, pushing back on some of my ideas. At first, that threw me off, but then I realized that they were helping me build a better product.

We spent about $100,000.

Our engagement was between September 2018–February 2019.

It’s still new, so there’s still so much to measure, but we’re already receiving revenue, which is fantastic. The app has over 8,000 downloads.

How did Rootstrap perform from a project management standpoint?

Our teams communicated through Slack and worked in sprints. On Mondays, we talked about the plans for the week, and then on Fridays, we would go over what was successful and wrap up the week. It was a successful and smooth process working with Rootstrap. Throughout the engagement, they were responsive.

Rootstrap is a creative team that’s easy to work with. I personally loved being challenged by them. If I had an idea, they would suggest other ways. Sometimes it’s hard when you have a vision and don’t see how things could be done differently. They helped me understand different options and let me choose what I thought was best.

I can’t think of anything at the moment. It’s a learning process.

Before starting the development process, clients should make sure that they thoroughly understand all of the sprints and milestones and the time it will take. Allow for extra time. While we were finished with the development phase in January, it took a month to receive approval from Apple. People think that once the app is completed, it will be the app store right away, but it’s not that easy. It’s a whole process where Apple performs a lot of testing. Clients should remember that even though development is completed, the app won’t launch the next day.

Overall Score There’s always room for improvement for every company. But again, if I had to do it all over again, I would select them.

Web & Mobile App Code Audit for On-Demand Vet Service

"They’ve maintained the highest level of professionalism while providing critical feedback."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

Rootstrap audits development sprints performed by third-party developers, evaluating code, UX, and infrastructure for technical stability. After every sprint, they deliver a report of their findings.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Caleb Sorenson
Operations Manager, SoftSpot

A third-party developer has been let go based on Roostrap’s findings, resulting in significant financial and time savings. Their ability to communicate consistently without disrupting their audit work is notable. Customers can expect a highly professional partner that demonstrates initiative.

I’m the operations manager and senior product owner for an on-demand veterinary services startup. We’re building a web and mobile app for pet owners with scheduling and telemedicine capabilities.

For what projects/services did your company hire Rootstrap?

I hired Rootstrap to audit my offshore development and UX teams to ensure they're following best practices and building a proper foundation for scalability.

I set out to perform a comprehensive audit of my UX and development work to ensure the app is ready for launch. If the audit results in failure, Rootstrap provides a path for the offshore teams to course correct.

I considered over 15 digital agencies and selected Rootstrap based on their previous work and excellent reviews, along with their leaderships' strong responses during the proposal process.

I hire Rootstrap at the end of each development milestone to conduct a single sprint audit of the delivered code, UX, and infrastructure. They communicate throughout the sprint and work well with my teams to provide the results of the audit and their findings. I’ve already used this information to switch to a better vendor.

We’re working with senior developers who specialize in frontend, backend, web, and mobile languages. This team is led on and off by Anthony (CTO, Rootstrap), who’s a fantastic communicator that consistently provides valuable insight into our project.

The audits have helped determine that our first development team wouldn't be able to complete the app to our standards. Thankfully, we were early enough in development that this decision saved us months and thousands of dollars.

It’s been extremely effective thanks to their ability to take initiative and communicate. Additionally, they’re able to respond quickly throughout their audit process.

They’ve maintained the highest level of professionalism while providing critical feedback. This, coupled with everyone’s excellent service (from the CEO on down), is the reason I return to Rootstrap over and over.

Their price was a little high for my leadership team, but Rootstrap is continually proving their value. If I had the budget, I would’ve hired them to develop our entire application.

UX Design for Fitness Coaching Mobile App

“Their service was flawless.”

Aug. - Oct. 2017

Rootstrap created the UX design and development roadmap for a mobile fitness app.

São Paulo, Brazil
Bruno Ahualli
CEO, Photon Group

The app is expected to do well, thanks to Rootstrap’s attention to detail and competence. Their input served as a strong foundation for the development phase. Rootstrap’s team was friendly and punctual.

I'm the CEO of Photon Group, a consumer packaged goods (CPG) lifestyle company focused on sports supplements and cosmetics. Iridium Labs is our sports supplement brand.

For what projects/services did your company hire Rootstrap?

We hired Rootstrap to help with the UX design of a mobile app that assists people in the gym. It provides exercise programs and a tracking tool.

In addition to providing high-quality supplements, we want to help our clients reach their fitness goals.

They were highly recommended by a few experts who we know. We also did screening calls to see if Rootstrap was a good fit.

Rootstrap provided UX design services and created a development roadmap with stories and technical specs.

We were assisted by a team of three: a product lead, a technical lead, and a design lead.

The project is still under development, but our team is very optimistic about the launch of the application.

Rootstrap’s team was very easy to work with. They took instructions well and knew when to suggest a different path from what we had in mind. They needed minimal guidance to reach the desired outcome.

They knew exactly what they were doing, and it showed in every interaction we had. We also enjoyed fact that they were all charismatic and intelligent.

To be honest, nothing major comes to mind.

Overall Score It felt very refreshing to work with Rootstrap.
    They never missed a delivery date.
    If they had slightly more competitive rates, we would’ve hired them for the development portion as well. However, it is cheaper to do it in-house.
    Their service was flawless.
    I have referred them before, and the company that hired them was quite impressed.

Mobile App Prototype for Coin & Stamp Store

“Their help was invaluable and moved me from idea to action.”

July - Sept. 2016

Neon Roots created detailed wireframes for a unique mobile app that lets users capture images of coins and share them on social media. The team did not handle actual development, which was done in-house.

Bellingham, Washington
Tim Rathjen
CEO, The Stamp and Coin Place

The wireframes expedited product development and provided a solid foundation for later stages of the project. Neon Roots’ team was efficient and friendly, but they could have offered additional support.

I’m the CEO of The Stamp and Coin Place, a company that specializes in implementing technology for an old industry. We’ve invented software for sorting and distributing a high volume of coins.

For what projects/services did your company hire Neon Roots?

Since we were starting from scratch, we needed an experienced team to wireframe our product.

We needed a prototype that could be shown and shared with potential investors and customers. We wanted a clean and intuitive app with image storage, a forum, and other functionalities.

I did extensive research for a company that offered such a service, but almost everyone I talked to charged an hourly rate with no promises on performance. Meanwhile, the non-hourly rate quotes were evasive about deliverables. Fortunately, I quickly clicked with Neon Roots’ principals and their team.

They created wireframes for our app, which could take photos of coins and allow users to quickly share the images on social media. After discussing the project over the phone, they sent me a questionnaire and a couple of follow-up emails. I then flew to Los Angeles with my main development person to meet with their team. After only one round of ideation and two rounds of wireframe tweaking, I had the basics of what I was looking for. Eventually, we decided to develop it ourselves.

Neon Roots’ CEO oversaw the work of two people from their team.

We knew practically nothing about this type of work, but Neon Roots made it easier for us to see what the final product would look like. The experience and outcome helped us find our way much faster.

Our communication was great. Poor communication makes things more complicated, but that was not the case with this company.

I was impressed with how easily they got things done. They were also a genuinely nice team.

It would have been great to have the option to pay for questions even after the project was done. I had several questions along the way but felt that I would be imposing if I were to reach out.

Overall Score Their help was invaluable and moved me from idea to action.
    It was great.
    It seemed expensive at the time, but I can now see that their cost was very reasonable.
    I was assigned a newer hire. I felt his work should have been supervised a bit more.
    I highly recommend them.

Startup App for New Charitable Giving Channel

"They provided clarity where we were unsure and flawless execution everywhere else."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Neon Roots first developed a prototype for a charitable giving mobile application. Once the prototype was developed, Neon Roots was brought back to fully develop the iOS mobile application.

Peter Ghiorse
Co-founder, GiveTide

The deliverables have been flawlessly executed, and the communication from Neon Roots has been excellent. Their team is always on time and is completely transparent with deadlines and feedback. Their business and their solutions offer businesses exceptional value for the cost.

I am the CEO of GiveTide, and we are building a mobile application intended to help people integrate philanthropy into their everyday lives.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

Our original goal was to develop a functional prototype of an app that would allow us to raise money for the app’s complete development.

Our overall thesis of what we’re trying to accomplish with our mobile app is to move the entire philanthropy industry away from the concept of financial capability and more toward motivation as the only requirement needed to contribute to and participate in causes that you care about.

With Neon Roots, we began the initial drafts of the prototype while simultaneously developing our business and networking with potential clients. About halfway through the process, we raised the money for the project, so the functional prototype was no longer necessary. However, Neon Roots was still able to provide a mutually beneficial solution. Instead of making them finish a prototype that we would no longer need, they helped translate the remaining credit that we had, so to speak, and transition smoothly into full-time development of the mobile app with their development firm. We’re going to stick with an iOS version of the app first and validate the concept before we take the plunge and develop an app for Android as well.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

We are first-time entrepreneurs, and we didn't know anything about the industry, so we went out and interviewed several firms ranging from the big development shops to developers in India. There wasn't anything quantitative about our search process. We based our decision more on our gut feeling of the team based on the conversations we had had with them. We started out with Google searches, compiled a list of 25 companies, and then narrowed it down from there based on their interactions over email. From there, we had a list of around 10 or so, and we got on the phone with all of them. It was a little more difficult to then narrow those shops down to two or three, including Neon Roots and another firm.

We were interested in Neon Roots because they seemed to have a different approach. Instead of just being yes-men and quoting your project, they seemed to really care. Before they knew anything about us, the CEO got on the phone with us, and we had a nice long discussion. They came back to us with a tailor-made proposal based on our situation, and that really impressed us and put them over the top. We appreciated that they would take the time to focus on our needs and offer a solution. We decided to go with them because we liked their style from the outset.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

I’d say we invested a little less than $100,000 with Neon Roots.

We started working with Neon Roots in December 2016.

The MVP [minimum viable product] Neon Roots built for us led to our first round of financing. To that extent, Neon Roots delivered completely. We’re looking forward to that sort of execution on a larger scale. We’re still in development right now, so I can't speak yet to the quality of the product. What I can speak to is the clarity with which the developers have latched onto our ideas.

How did Neon Roots perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management is Neon Roots’ bread and butter. Their company consists of incredible people, and their business offers exceptional value. For our team, it was like having a seasoned entrepreneur as a co-founder instead of a company that’s eager to please but really only interested in your money. They provided clarity where we were unsure and flawless execution everywhere else. Our project is structured so that we have a point guy assigned to our project. He’s essentially the guy who communicated all timeline and technical details to us because we don’t have a technical co-founder on the team. Additionally, you also have access to all of the individuals behind the scenes who are doing the design, coding, etc., so we have transparent, efficient communication. It’s always easy to get ahold of them; it’s not like you have to pull teeth to get them on the phone. It’s been an awesome experience. I couldn't have asked for a better partner.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

You want to choose Neon Roots because they’re not just yes-men. They’re not just going to sit there, blow smoke, and tell you your ideas are awesome when they might have other ideas. They’ll tell you what’s up. They’ll be straight with you. To that extent, it’s more like having a co-founder and less like having a third-party company performing specific deliverables that you can’t handle with the team. What was valuable in our experience was their strategy and the overarching clarity with which it was communicated to us.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

I don't have any complaints about Neon Roots at all. We were impressed by their delivery every step of the way.

Neon Roots never missed a meeting. They were always there and available. There have been quite a few times when I've been able to call them personally on their cell phones, and there has never been an issue.
    Throughout the project, I kept thinking, “What’s the catch?” Neon Roots provided so much value and went so over the top with everything they did that we thought they might have been charging more. They could have charged more.
    The first version of Neon Roots’ prototype was sufficient to raise money, so I think that speaks to their level of quality.
    There’s no limit regarding what we can get from Neon Roots. We’ve appreciated how they’ve communicated from the outset and the extent to which they’ve been able to deliver on what we needed. They’ve over delivered if anything.

MVP iOS Development for Electronic Music Startup

"We didn’t have many expectations coming into the project and they’ve blown us away."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Neon Roots created an MVP for a platform that intuitively connects people in the music industry. They also conducted market research, crafted wireframes, and began development of an iOS application.

Caleb Richards
Co-Founder, Starving Artist

Neon Roots provided an exceptional experience throughout the different stages of development, laying the groundwork for an ongoing relationship. The Rootstrap process they yielded the MVP was instrumental in raising 30k from investors, and they have received overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Starving Artist is a new platform for musicians to connect in their local area, whether you’re a producer, singer, rapper, singer-songwriter, or an instrumentalist. My brother and I were always having trouble finding people to help complete the songs we produced, so we decided to make a platform ourselves. I’m the co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

We wanted to develop our idea further. We don’t know how to code and there were a lot of unknowns in the industry, so we needed people who had the knowledge to help us.

First, we went through their Rootstrap process, where we talked about our idea and we refined it to the MVP [minimum viable product]. They conducted some market research in order to find the competitors in the industry. Then, we developed a plan to monetize everything. They made some wireframes that included the main features, and at the end of the process, we had a report that gave us a clear idea of who our audience was, the problem we were solving, and how we would make money from it. After that, they started development on the iOS app. They broke the project into sprints and built the frontend so we could start using it. We still have to develop the backend to allow people to connect with other people.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

We went to a Tony Robbins seminar in Florida and a day after we got home from that, we were on Instagram and we saw one of the Neon Roots ads. They were advertising that they had built an app for Tony Robbins. They were the first company we reached out to. We did contact other firms but we started building a good relationship with Neon Roots right away. They connected us with our favorite artist, so we were able to pitch him our idea. We saw some of the work that Neon Roots had done and liked their mindset of starting lean and working lean as you build up. It seemed like they were everything we were looking for.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000 so far.

We started to work with them in April 2016 and the work is ongoing.

Since we only have the frontend built, we can access it on our phone through a platform called TestFlight. Once the backend is developed, we will do beta testing. The project so far has given us a good idea of what to show investors, and we’ve been able to start pitching to them. That’s how we were able to raise $30,000 after the Rootstrap process. Everyone we’ve talked to has given positive feedback, including our favorite artist and other big artists in the electronic music scene.

How did Neon Roots perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate through Skype and Google Hangouts. We’re usually in contact with the CEO and the development team. They keep us updated on everything.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

Their Rootstrap process is something that works for them and that’s what they have you stick to. They nail down the MVP and then build from there.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

I can’t think of anything. Their work looks good and we’ve learned a lot. They’ve been great to work with.

Overall Score It’s been really good. We didn’t have many expectations coming into the project and they’ve blown us away.
    They’re good at being on time and they’ve worked with us to meet the deadlines that we had.
    I feel that the value we received has been way more than what we paid them.
    There are things that could be polished since we’re still in the early phases.

Mobile Responsive Web App for Employee/Employer Marketplace

"They've been on top of things – extremely meticulous and diligent. The biggest thing is I can tell they care, and it's not just another project for them."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Neon Roots was hired to do competitive analysis and perform a prototype web application hybrid to serve as a marketplace for employees and employers.

Jillian Braverman
CEO, Skillzz

Neon Roots received a near-perfect score, constantly giving feedback on the project, showing dedication to maintaining a schedule, and delivering meticulous execution and work ethic during their engagement.

Skillzz LLC is a marketplace for employees and employers. I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

I had this germination of an idea, and I came to them to vet it out. They do this process called Rootstrap where they do a competitive analysis. It's a sprint – it's one week. They do a competitive analysis and develop a full-on prototype. It started with that, and we went into development 3 or 4 weeks later.

We're doing a full web app hybrid – a mobile responsive website that will be a 12-week long process with them. They use Ruby on Rails. When we first met, I wanted to develop an iOS app. That's what we Rootstrapped, and that's what we built the prototype for. Then, all of us cumulative called an audible. What's great about them is they were able to switch gears quickly and started developing a hybrid mobile responsive web app instead. That all took place very quickly. Within a week, we had a new prototype for a website.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

I went online and Googled Los Angeles app developers. I called five or six, and I interviewed three. What was the most impressive about Ben [Lee, co-founder and CEO of Neon Roots] and the team was how hands-on they all are. I felt like I wasn't just getting people who were going to code and develop. Instead, I was getting business minds and innovative young people who understood my vision – what I wanted to do – and could contribute in a way that wasn't just technical but also very meaningful on the business side. That's what attracted me to them. That, and I was able to go into their office.

The cost was $110,000.

We started in June [2016].

The feedback so far is that people have been impressed with the velocity. They've been surprised at the velocity that things have gone and how quickly they've been able to create what we've done so far in the span of time. It's been 6 weeks of development. They work in sprints. The quality looks great. I'm very impressed with it.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

It would be the team that has been working on my project. There's probably 10 of them in the office. They all care a lot. They believe in the product. I don't feel like they're just building another game or another app. They like the project. They come to me with creative ideas. I think if someone's looking for a big group of yes men, Neon Roots would not be their choice for development. I could not recommend them less if people just want to hear, "Yes, I will be whatever you want." They're going to be questioning you the whole way, trying to build the best product. They're an opinionated group of people – for sure.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

The only thing would've been to meet my team before Rootstrap. You go through Rootstrap and have one team. Then, when you go to development, it's a totally different team. It was different to have the people who you've been working with for that beginning sprint totally change.

Overall Score They've been on top of things – extremely meticulous and diligent. The biggest thing is I can tell they care, and it's not just another project for them.
    They're on top of me for Google Hangouts meetings. We have a very fixed schedule that we adhere to every week Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    They're in the medium-to-higher scale of pricing, but I think I get enough for that. It's definitely fair.
    They're meticulous in their execution, and the majority of what I'm looking at is bug-free, or the bugs are very minimal. They fix them quickly.
    I already have. I refer them to my own family.

Wireframing for Business Improvement App

"They had a nice vibe and they have a terrific product offering."

Neon Roots used their proprietary pre-development program to design the framework for a new app. They conducted market research to determine product viability, then delivered storyboards, backlogs, and an MVP.

Denver, CO
Ed Wolfe
Cofounder, Business Improvement App

Neon Roots was casual and informal in their process, but they contributed significant industry expertise. Their primary resource was timely, responsive, and articulate. Their key strength was their discernment in which projects they took on, meaning each one got personal attention.

We are in the midst of developing a webinar series to support a future app that we are hoping to develop which is intended to support single person and small businesses with the information to properly run their companies.

My wife and I are the two principals. I’m cofounder and co-owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

We see a difference between the company and the business. Our own experience was such that there’s very little support out there for the company especially when you’re in a growth mode or you’re operating in multiple states. There’s very little support or information to help growth occur. There are a million things that will help you with your business - with business management, employees, getting customers, but almost nothing that’ll make sure that you have the right insurance, teach you how to talk to an attorney, or to make sure that you have proper processes set up in your company so you are compliant and functional.

Neon Roots helped us with the app. They had a program called Rootstrap which I would describe as a pre-development development. You take several meetings with them. They ask you a ton of questions and try to pull out from you what your real goals are and what you want the app to do. They give you a lot of feedback which helped us make decisions. It was very valuable. They were generous with their feedback and experience, and that helped us refine what we wanted to do with the app. Then from there, they helped us build out a template. They do some storyboards about how it’s going to look. They do custom backlogs as well.

If you take every potential story through a potential customer’s eyes and you say “I am an X and I want to do a Y”, you build out all these situations and that’s called a backlog. They create those for you. They apply a point system to those which they use to give you a quote for full development of the app. They also did some high definition click-through modelings. We have several pages of how the app would actually look. You can click through them and see how it functions, which is terrific especially when going in front of investors. I’m pretty convinced that having that in hand will go a long ways towards getting funding, especially since we are in a startup phase. Neon Roots provided us this in a fixed price in just a few weeks.

They also do their own market research and they determine whether they believe it’s a good application. If they don’t believe it or like it, then they’re not going to do the Rootstrap for you, which I think is cool. There were a number of points of very positive feedback and very encouraging movement in going through that process with them.

In the end, working with Neon Roots gave us a good look at what we could do. It gave us an idea of what the MVP should be for the app, and it gave us an idea of what it’s going to cost to build it out fully. Again, this was much cheaper than if I was wrong and I just paid an app development company to build an app for me.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

Neon Roots was my first choice based on what they offered. My wife and I decided that we wanted to work with a group a little closer to where we live, which is Denver. There’s a very well regarded firm in Boulder and so I took the Rootstrap description from the Neon Roots website and I turned that into a statement of work. I took the statement of work to this app development company and they looked at it and quoted it, and said that they could do it. We agreed to that and signed a deal.

I went up and had the first couple of meetings, and after the first couple of meetings, the owner said that they were overwhelmed and that there were too many options. She said that they thought we should do this a different way and gave us a whole different quote and took our agreement and ignored it. In that whole process, she decided that she had earned about 50% of our deposit and wanted us to put another deposit up so we could move forward working under her new plan, which would be on an hourly time and materials basis. Needless to say, we said no and fired them. We went back to Neon Roots and asked if they would take it on and they agreed. They saw all the things that the first group saw, but they had a much better grasp of what to do and how to address it. They got us the product they promised.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

We have spent $15,000. I thought that was very reasonable for the amount of effort they put into it and for the product that we got.

Just to see the idea on paper was exciting. These are ideas that we’ve had for our own business. My wife is the expert when it comes to running a company and the financials. She has always wanted to have one place to capture all of these different parts of a running company. For her to see that on paper was exciting. Then, when we did the final look, my wife’s first comment was “my brain is on TV”. We did that meeting with Neon Roots via video chat and they put up the first page and she just stared at it. Through the conversation, they were very accurate in pulling out and creating what her vision was for how this app would function and how it would look. Beyond the fact that it was a great product, they were really able to bring to life the vision that my wife has been carrying around in her head for a number of years, which is fantastic.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

They’re very casual, which we appreciated. Neon Roots is very little in the way of overt formalities. The team was very encouraging and interactive. They all had feedback. The Chief Executive Officer, Ben Lee, is a visionary. He had a lot of great industry insight and application and user insights that we had not considered. Napoleon was our primary point of contact. He was always on time, always articulate, and always let us complain or applaud, but kept meetings on track. He was terrific. They had a nice vibe and they have a terrific product offering.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

No. I’m sure that other people would wish that they were a little more willing to take on their projects. We noticed in our initial meeting that Ben Lee’s partner in the business was signing letters declining projects. I think it’s terrific that they won’t take on a project that they don’t agree with or think they’re not going to enjoy. When you’re in business, it’s very hard to turn away work. If you’re able to turn away work because you have a philosophy or you’re too busy and your ethic is such that you’re willing to turn that away instead of reducing your value in other places, I think that’s very ethical. It’s a very impressive thing to do.

Overall Score We got along well with the group. We worked well on the project. The partnership was good.
    They set a schedule with us. There were several times that we pushed it out because we were in the midst of having to do other work. They were very accommodating and didn’t give us a hard time when we were late. They were always on time.
    There was never any discussion about changing the cost. In fact, we think they actually did a little extra work for us. They incorporated some mobile views of the high-definitions that weren’t on the statement of work.
    It was exactly the product that they offered us. We have the final deliverables as they promised and the high-definition click through models are exactly what we hoped for.
    I’ve already referred several people to Neon Roots.