Build It. Launch It. Grow It.

Rocket Farm Studios is where innovation, deep technical expertise and "WOW" converge. A premier mobile design and development firm located in Boston, MA, Rocket Farm Studios is known for transforming businesses to take advantage of a connected world.

2008
Boston, MA
  • Rocket Farm Studios
    374 Congress St Suite 204
    Boston, MA 02210
    617.463.9123

Yankee Candle, The Hal Leonard Corporation, C Space, WorldOne/Sermo, Yamaha Music, Leaderclips, Slobbr, Punchbowl, T-Mobile, Intel, Samsung

Sermo

QuickKey

Video IQ

Someecards

Yamaha Music

Application Development for Large Music Publisher

"Rocket Farm Studios is a team full of pros. They’ve helped us navigate the mobile world and helped us understand the complexities of app development."

The client is the Hal Leonard Corporation, a large publisher of music and media content. This client is located in Milwaukee, WI. They were in need of a development team with an expertise in app development that could partner with their internal team to build and integrate an app with Hal Leonard's content system. This client previously partnered with Rocket Farm Studios on a successful development project and brought Rocket Farm Studios back on for this project after a formal Request for Proposal [RFP] process.

Milwaukee, WI
Chris Koszuta
Product Manager, Hal Leonard Corp.

The client is extremely satisfied with their partnership with Rocket Farm Studios. This client highlights that Rocket Farm has a professional team from top to bottom. The client highly recommends Rocket Farm Studios for their project efficiency and understanding of a client's business.

Hal Leonard Corporation is the world’s largest music print publisher and also one of the world’s largest music digital content providers. Hal Leonard produces songbooks, single sheets, and music lesson books.

Along with that we manage several websites; many are Business-to-Business [B2B] and many are Business-to-Customer [B2C]. Those websites deliver a collection of digital sheet music, digital audio and digital video assets to clients. We’ve also started creating mobile apps to push out content in that way.

I’m the product manager of digital media. I work with our internal development teams and work on a number of digital projects. I also work with external development companies for the creation of apps and other solutions.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Rocket Farm Studios?

The mobile market started exploding with the release of the iPhone, but with the release of the iPad it made a lot of our content exciting on mobile devices. One of our flagship series is called “Hal Leonard Play Along”. It’s a book that has notation as well as audio backing tracks for various instruments. This series has been tremendously successful in the printed form, and we wanted to take that content and turn it into a mobile experience. That was the challenge - taking our core content and making a mobile version out of it.

We started with iOS specifically because of the market and because of the revenue that was mainly attributed to iOS at the time. It was challenging from many respects. Not only were we looking for mobile app development, but there were portions of the project that tied into our internal databases and our internal content distribution system. The project with Rocket Farm Studios was a collaboration with our in house team to bring all these things together into an exciting product.

How did you come to work with Rocket Farm Studios?

When we sent out our RFP, they came back with what was probably the most robust proposal and was most aligned with what we wanted the project to be. You could tell that Rocket Farm understood us and our product and what we were looking to achieve. The reason we ended up going with Rocket Farm is because we had actually worked with them on a previous project and got to know them through there. We were always extremely happy with their professionalism, their insights, and their efficiency. From top to bottom, from their chief executive officer [CEO], Dan Katcher, to their developers and project managers, they are a very well-run company. We were really impressed with them, they’re terrific.

It was a very large project. We’ve only done a soft launch. We’re planning a major release around December 2015.

We couldn’t be happier with our partnership with Rocket Farm Studios. They are a professional group and we plan on doing more with them in the future. We’ve been very happy with the results. We have a lot of terrific user feedback. Users like the additional tools we’ve added to it and they can record themselves now through the iPad with the track backing. It’s really like a recording studio on your iPad and they love the content selection.

What distinguishes Rocket Farm Studios from other providers?

It starts with their CEO, who is just a terrific guy with great energy and attitude. He really understands us as a company. They have top list people, from their developers to their project managers. When anybody undergoes a big complex development project like this, I think you need to look for overall efficiency. With this complex project, Rocket Farm really provided that with quick problem solving and state of the art knowledge of current requirements related to Apple and iOS. They made it easy to make progress and they’re just great people as well.

Is there anything Rocket Farm Studios could have improved or done differently?

No. Rocket Farm Studios is a team full of pros. They’ve helped us navigate the mobile world and helped us understand the complexities of app development. At the same time, I think we’ve been able to help them understand the plethora of content that we currently have as a company and the opportunities that we could have in the future together. It’s really been a win on both sides.

Software Development for Consumer Products Company

"Rocket Farm's price was right and the technology skills were there."

Rocket Farm Studios developed cloud software and an app for IoT-enabled scent products. The software allows users to schedule when the fragrance will be released. RFS continues to improve the solution.

Boston Metro Area
COO, Consumer Products Company

Rocket Farm Studios has skilled developers who understand the IoT industry. They document their work religiously and accommodate every need. The group is experienced but not mired in bureaucracy, giving them the nimbleness to move quickly.

We deliver scent services to commercial companies, including hotels, retail stores, nursing homes, gaming establishments, and other places that are commercial environments.

I'm the COO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Rocket Farm Studios?

There were two major reasons that we were searching for a software company. First, we are an IoT [Internet of things] company, our devices are communicating with other devices deployed out in the field. In order to manage them we need several things including a cloud software as well as a way to control them through a simple easy to use interface. We were able to work with a larger company to develop the enterprise software to manage our device, but that software wasn't meant for certain scent features we needed in a commercial environment.

The second thing we wanted was to have our product give our customers the ability to control the diffusers on their cellphone, mobile device, or iPad.

We partnered with Rocket Farm Studios to develop software as part of our larger enterprise solution to do specific things like select a fragrance or schedule a time period during which a fragrance was released. We had Rocket Farm create an app that allowed us to delegate those features to our customers.

How did you come to work with Rocket Farm Studios?

We put out an RFP [request for proposal] and we searched worldwide. We looked at companies in Asia and the United States, as well as Eastern Europe and South America. I think we evaluated five companies total. We concluded that Rocket Farm's price was right and the technology skills were there, and it would be a lot easier, faster, and cost-effective to work with a local company in the New England area.

Up to this point, the project is the range of $50,000 to $200,000.

We've gone through many new releases after first launching the products during the first quarter of this year.

How did Rocket Farm Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Rocket Farm Studios has a very good team with great skills and an understanding of the market we're going into. They have a talented project manager to help keep everything on track. Communication has been strong with great documentation. It's been a smooth process. Rocket Farm has been responsive to our needs.

What distinguishes Rocket Farm Studios from other providers?

Rocket Farm Studios is an experienced team. They're not an enterprise with a heavy infrastructure and bureaucracy. We were able to deal directly with the founding team, which gave us the comfort that they'll be responsive.

Is there anything Rocket Farm Studios could have improved or done differently?

Not specifically. As you go through projects, you run into a few issues, and we've certainly done that, but I don't believe there were any major areas of concern. Overall, it's been a very smooth process and a very good relationship with a top-notch vendor.

Application Development for Social Network App

"Rocket Farm Studios really blends into our team...Working with their team is very easy."

Rocket Farm Studios provided iOS and Android app development for a social networking app for physicians. The team was involved in all stages and provided critical insight into the appropriate architecture.

New York City Metro Area
John Gurman
SVP, SERMO

Rocket Farm Studios exceeded user expectations, both for functionality and performance. They valued teamwork and collaboration, so they very smoothly integrated with the in-house staff. The team was flexible and open to suggestions. Their iterative process made room for constant improvement.

SERMO is a social network for physicians.

I’m the senior vice president [SVP] of technology.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Rocket Farm Studios?

We were looking to have new mobile apps created and we didn’t have the expertise in house for the architecture or the implementation. Rocket Farm provided that great start for us as we built a team and product for the physicians to help their patients.

Development for both Android and iOS was provided. It was nice when they came in because we started with architecture so they started with some design and architectural insights that led us straight through. We did the project management but they joined us as a real part of the team in building this application.

How did you come to work with Rocket Farm Studios?

We did have an RFP and sent it out to five local companies and narrowed it down to Rocket Farm and another company. We really felt that we could work with Dan Katcher [CEO, Rocket Farm Studios] and his expertise in particular would help us build the product we wanted. The way they presented really was in sync with our team and how we worked.

To kick off design and build the initial releases of both the iOS and Android app cost us $500,000.

The real success comes when the app is being used and your users are delighted. We had an iOS app that we replaced and we didn’t have an Android app. We were able to meet the needs of a lot more of our members. Overall, the performance and usability of our apps has increased tremendously.

What distinguishes Rocket Farm Studios from other providers?

Rocket Farm Studios really blends into our team. Part of their culture is blending in and being part of the team. Working with their team is very easy. They were flexible when we needed to adjust, move, and course correct. They’re open to suggestions and to advice, which is also great.

Is there anything Rocket Farm Studios could have improved or done differently?

No. We use an agile process, so we went through several iterations and I think we both improved as a result of the project.

App Development and Strategy for Startup

"They got in my seat and looked at the project from my perspective."

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Rocket Farm Studios developed a website and app that provides leadership training with video resources. They also consulted on what was and wasn’t doable in the app space. They now provide ongoing maintenance.

Boston, MA
Dan Hoover
Founder, LeaderClips

RFS took the time to delve deep into the business model to develop just the right solution; their research led them to focus more heavily on user experience. While they could communicate more proactively, the team is friendly and warm, with the talent and integrity to deliver on their promises.

We are a startup company called LeaderClips. We help people understand leadership and personal development by using videos from public domains. We do that through a website and a mobile app.

I am the founder of LeaderClips.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Rocket Farm Studios?

I’ve worked in information technology myself so I know a little about the process of developing an app but I was unfamiliar with developing in the mobile space. I went to Rocket Farm when I had this idea.

I engaged with Rocket Farm to help build our website and mobile app. They also provided coaching on how practical my idea was and what could and couldn’t be done. They helped the scope of the idea fit into a solution that’s more practical for the mobile platform.

How did you come to work with Rocket Farm Studios?

I went through a pseudo request for proposal [RFP] process. Rocket Farm Studios was one of the eight or nine different companies in the Boston area that I talked to. They listened to me - even though some of my ideas were off the wall - they spent a lot of time with me and gave me advice before I spent one dime with them. Because of that, I decided to work with them. I could tell that Rocket Farm could give me some critical feedback and advice on this mobile world that was unfamiliar to me. Some companies didn’t understand the value of what I was doing and they walked away from the project.

This was a massive undertaking on my part. This project is way over half a million at this point. Rocket Farm Studios has built a product for me and they’ve also enhanced and maintained it ever since. They’ve been a part of creating my road map for future releases and future development.

It was about two years ago that I started talking to Rocket Farm. I think we first engaged in December of 2013 and the project began in March 2014.

I think Rocket Farm Studios is very good at understanding the business case. Some of the development firms that I talked to were willing to listen to my requirements, tell me what it would cost and how long it would take, but the Rocket Farm team did more than that. They actually tried to understand my business model. They got in my seat and looked at the project from my perspective. They took the time to read books about the market I’m trying to serve, my target audience, and put together profiles of the typical client that will use my solution. They were heavily involved in understanding the business which led them to become heavily involved in the user experience design, all before they got down to writing code. I really liked and appreciated that.

I thought that if they took the time to understand what my business objective and what my target customer was like, they would better understand how to build and how to advise me on what I asked them to build. That was one of the biggest highlights of working with them, they took time to understand the business.

What distinguishes Rocket Farm Studios from other providers?

The Rocket Farms Studios team are friendly, good people. These are the kind of people I would be happy to go play golf with. They’re easy to get along with and they’re honest. I’ve never had any integrity issues with them. I’ve worked in IT for over 30 years, so I know the game a little bit and I know how difficult it is to build applications. I know that at times, you estimate something’s going to take a week and then things happen and it takes two weeks. We’ve had our share of delays, but I wouldn’t say it’s out of the ordinary for this type of work. Overall, they’re really smart and a good team of people to work with.

Is there anything Rocket Farm Studios could have improved or done differently?

The one thing I think they can improve on and I’ve shared with them is that communication could always be better. As the client, sometimes I feel like I have to chase them for information or for the status of a particular project. When they say they’re going to have something done for me in two weeks, it gets to be around day 10 and I haven’t heard anything, so I have to reach out and ask for an update.

Overall Score It’s not without bumps but overall I am very pleased or I wouldn’t be with them as long as I have been and I wouldn’t have spent as much money as I have with them.
    Part of it goes to the communication issue I brought up. I think they tend to be a little optimistic in their estimates on when things will be d I think that’s common with development folks.
    Eighty percent of the time they stick very closely to it. There’s always a twenty percent where they’ve gone over budget. There’s usually a pretty good reason for that - something that was unexpected.
    Eighty percent of the time their quality is great. There’s twenty percent that’s a little short.
    I would refer them without hesitation.