Coding Creativity

Revelry Labs is a Web and mobile product design and development consultancy based in New Orleans, LA.  We focus on delivering clean user interface (UI) design with rich interactive experiences in all the products that we build.

From Minimum Viable Products (MVPs) to staff augmentation and e-commerce stores to cloud systems, Revelry combines startup urgency with a wealth of talent and experience to meet your goals.

New Orleans, LA

• weblinc.com
  • getchute.com
  • herecomesfun.com

Platform Development for Marketing & Advertising Firm

"[T]hese guys had my back through every aspect of the process ... You won't find a more capable group."

Revelry Labs was hired to develop and launch a bespoke Cause Marketing solution.

Mark A. Parish
Founder & CEO, HelpFirst, Inc.

Pros include the ability to proactively innovate on behalf of clients and help them refine their product strategy.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

Help First Inc. is a Public Benefit Corporation (B Corp). Our commerce platform connects social conscious consumers with community conscious brands in support of America's finest nonprofit organizations. The HelpFirst platform creates a unique synergy of consumers, brands, and charities that foster better communities for all. The HelpFirst app is the world's first cause marketing platform. We utilize a patent pending process called Impact Driven Commerce that empowers the consumer to direct the Corporate Social Responsibility [CSR] of the brands they purchase from. I'm the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Revelry Labs?

Retail sales in the US topped 5 trillion last year. Numerous consumer surveys have shown that not only is cause marketing a driver of sales, but if product quality and price are equal, a majority of consumers are more likely to purchase the brand that supports a cause. Some surveys report that as high as 90% of consumers saw CSR as a main driver of sales. Many more consumers said they were willing to not only pay more but go out of their way to buy from those brands.

I had been working to develop a cause marketing platform that would allow consumers to direct where the CSR funds from their purchase are spent. I had the concept and a general idea of how I wanted the platform to look and work but had no idea how to bring it all to fruition from an engineering standpoint. That's when I decided to partner with a development shop.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

I met with 20+ development firms before meeting with the guys at Revelry Labs. Not only did they take the time to fully understand every aspect of the platform I wanted to be built, they helped me work out the kinks in my plan to get to a viable business model. They developed a plan of action, an expected project timetable, and a reasonable budget. Once we had agreed to the details, they began the design and development work.

Could you share any evidence that would demonstrate the impact of their involvement?

Not only did they meet expectations, they exceeded them. They clearly communicated obstacles that needed to be overcome and provided me with solutions at every turn. This platform is a first of its kind. They innovated several aspects of the platform that until now, simply did not exist. They helped me manage the unavoidable and avoid the unmanageable. I feel like they went above and beyond to ensure I went to market with all of the features I would need to be successful. From the daily interactions, project planning, platform completion, through to the app store review process, and launch marketing, these guys had my back through every aspect of the process. Tremendous organization. You will not find a more capable group.

Overall Score Excellent.
    Without questions.

Two Week Android Development Sprint

"Revelry Labs' resources were consistently good."

Revelry Labs conducted a two-week sprint to improve the architecture of an Android app and add new functionality. They dedicated a project manager and several engineers to work at capacity for the duration.

Dallas, Texas
John Sturdivant
Founder, WorkforceAlpha

Revelry Labs successfully completed the upgrades and improvements. The team was professional in their work and communication. All thought planning and preparation for the project took longer than excepted, they executed a smooth engagement.

WorkforceAlpha provides tools for labor-intensive businesses to maximize their labor efficiency, and to help the front-line worker achieve their full potential.

I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Revelry Labs?

We needed to improve our Android app architecture across layers and add new functionality.

The intensive sprint involved a project manager and a couple of engineers working at near capacity over the course of the engagement. Making plans for the sprint took about a week.

How much have you invested with Revelry Labs?

The two week sprint was in the range of $10,000 - $20,000.

We just recently completed the upgrades and improvements. While we do not have immediate plans to work with Revelry again, we do expect to work with them later on as our development needs call for it.

How did Revelry Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very professional in their work and communication. Revelry Labs' resources were consistently good, and our engagement went smoothly.

Are there any areas Revelry Labs could improve?

Planning and ramping up the project took a little bit longer than I expected. The lead time in planning and aligning their resources for the sprint pushed our plans back a week, but once we got started it was fine.

They were slow to ramp up in the beginning and it pushed back the final deliverable by a week.

Web Development For Oil & Energy Company

"Revelry Labs provided us with a reliable team which we could count on."

Revelry Labs developed an online employee portal for a chemical transport company. The site allows users to access and edit job schedules, view announcements, and submit workplace feedback.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Josh Dixon
Senior Operations Manager, SGS Petroleum Service Corporation

After a limited rollout, feedback for the site has been positive. Revelry Labs laid out clear milestones, solicited feedback, and implemented suggestions to suit the project goals. The team's proactive approach and consistent communication ensured that each stage of the project met expectations.

We provide product handlers for chemical, oil plants, refineries, and barge lines for US customers, along the inland waterway system. We are experts in product handling of a number of hazardous chemicals, including oil cargos.

I am the Senior Operations Manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Revelry Labs?

We wanted to create and develop an online site for employees. Our staff works on-call, so they don't know when they will be working or for how long. They would be able to access a site that would list their number within the job rotation, previous history, weather, and announcements, and also give them a way of providing feedback.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We assigned the entire project to Revelry Labs from both a design and development standpoint. We had all the data necessary for them. They were in charge of creating the site on which that data could be displayed in a friendly manner.

We have continued to use their services on a monthly support basis. We will assess how everything will work within the next six months, up to one year. There hasn't been an additional scope of work beyond this. There are other projects being discussed internally for which Revelry Labs could be employed though.

There were at least three people from Revelry Labs with whom we regularly interacted, one of them being the co-founder and president of the company. There was also a project manager and a programmer assigned to us. I am sure that there were other people involved, but we didn't interact with them consistently.

How did you come to work with Revelry Labs?

We'd had a similar site created by a local developer two years prior to our current project. It made for a poor experience for us from a design, reliability, and user experience standpoint. This time, we reached out to three or four separate companies and had meetings with them, explaining what we were looking for. We showed each one the old site, which was a disappointment, talking about what we needed for the new one. We received project completion and cost estimates, coming to select Revelry Labs.

The total development cost was $25,000.

The site was made live on May 2, 2016.

The overall experience has been stress-free. Revelry Labs provided us with a reliable team which we could count on to complete the deadlines they assigned themselves in a high-quality manner. We could not be happier with their productivity and the software that they ultimately designed for us.

We've rolled out the site to only 10-20% of the people that will eventually use it. We plan to introduce the rest throughout the month of May. The feedback from the ones who have begun to use it has been overall positive.

How did Revelry Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team used GitHub, on which we could see the status of different tasks, as they moved through development phases. If Revelry Labs wanted us to test some of the features, they could assign a task for us to complete, which worked very well. They used Slack as an instant messaging tool for everyone in the project.

What distinguishes Revelry Labs from other providers?

The project deployment timeline was broken up into what Revelry Labs called sprints. There would be periods of two weeks for which there would be very well-defined goals. This gave us an opportunity to see what they'd done, offer feedback, make adjustments, and lay out the game plan for the next run. This collaboration allowed us to offer feedback and pop out suggestions and questions. We'd had no communication with the company that designed our website a couple of years ago.

Is there anything Revelry Labs could have improved or done differently?

The only thing that didn't go as planned were some face-to-face meetings which we never got to plan. It was a case of our schedule not matching theirs and other last-minute things. Even without a face-to-face meeting, there was constant communication on the phone or via Slack.

Team Augmentation For Internet Commerce Startup

"Revelry works well with any fast-growing startup."

Revelry Labs helped to build custom third-party plugins in order to meet client demand. The projects, which provided e-commerce upgrading solutions, mainly involved platform development and implementation.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Darren Hill
CEO and Cofounder, WebLinc

Assistance from Revelry Labs has increased organizational efficiency and quality. The team joined the project with comprehensive expertise in Ruby and MongoDB, ensuring quick and flawless deliveries. Their management approach suits the demanding deadlines common among startups.

Weblink has an e-commerce platform. We compete with Demandware with ATG. Sometimes, we help people upgrade from Magento onto our system. We've been in business for more than 20 years. We accepted our first round of venture capital last year with the idea of further developing the platform as fast as we could.

I'm the chief executive officer and a co-founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Revelry Labs?

Essentially, what we learned pretty quick was that we couldn't hire fast enough to meet the milestones that we had established. We looked around and saw Revelry as a good company to act as a member of our team in the development and help us with developing third-party plug-ins. They were to offer general assistance with the overall platform development. We've also used them as an implementation partner, helping our clients get up and running with our software. At this point, I think we've worked with six or seven developers on their team.

We've taken advantage of pair programming with an apprentice. Then, connect that person up with a lead developer. It's worked out pretty good for us. A lot of our stuff has some not-so-exciting grunt work that needs to get done, so it's nice to have the discounted rate of the apprentice working underneath somebody. For this stuff, it's going to be a little bit more difficult. Nice to know there's a lead person there, too.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

They developed using Ruby on Rails, and we use MongoDB also for the database, and a zillion other tools, as well, but those are the main ones. Like I said, we used a different amount of developers depending on what stage we were working on, or what specific features. They always handled the custom coding and testing, and we offered guidance and helped with specifications.

How did you come to work with Revelry Labs?

John, their sales guy, might've reached out to me at some point. It was good timing. I went through my email and looked for anybody that was saying, "Hey, we want to outsource development work," or whatever. Then I looked at everybody's portfolio and what they had done. I liked that these guys were based in the United States. We hadn't used anybody before in this manner, so I didn't want to have to have any of the challenges of having somebody in another country or anything like that. I wanted somebody that spoke fluent English and worked the basic same hours that we worked because I knew it could've been a challenge.

It's been good. We started out with just two developers, and then we – I think we're at six now, and they all work on a full-time basis. They work 40 hours a week.

We've spent half a million, at least.

They're working every day on stuff. All of our different projects and teams have different clients they're working for with different projects, and so stuff is ending all the time. We work in sprints, so then with very specific pieces and parts to those sprints. They're literally giving us something every couple of days. We have used them on some major projects where they worked independently. We've approached them with, "Hey, we need to get this system and processing company to work with our e-commerce platform. We don't have time to focus on this. Can you guys knock it out?" They've been good at that. The quality and reliability are great and we rarely get negative feedback about bugs or malfunctions.

I can only really talk generally, but we know that when their code comes back, it doesn't usually have to go back to them for fixes because we'll do our own code reviews and testing. It seems they've done a good job at that. It's just helped us, as a company, helped us move faster and hit our goals quicker. Feedback from our developers has been good. Everybody's been pretty happy. Our developers haven't worked with other companies in this way. This was the first time we've done this. Most of the guys that are on our team hadn't done this before. It was a little bit of a risk. They're definitely learning on the job, but they seem to be enjoying it.

How did Revelry Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

For project management stuff, we used the Alassian Suite, so we use JIRA, Confluence, and HipChat, and all that stuff. We use a different proprietary time-tracking system that they track their time in so we can keep track of what's going on that side, too.

We're basically paying for time and materials. We're essentially paying for 40 hours a week for anybody that's on our projects and they do 40 hours' worth of work. Essentially, it's time and materials, but it's a little bit beyond that. I would say that's probably the max that we're going to get, the max on our end or their end. I think everybody's pretty realistic.

What distinguishes Revelry Labs from other providers?

They work well with any fast-growing startup, which is good, and we wanted that. I didn't want somebody who would be stressed out because we wanted something tomorrow. Then, the technologists are very skilled in Ruby on RAILS. They understood the structure of MongoDB document database, which is very unique. It was helpful that we didn't have to train them in that.

I know they're a relatively small shop, so I would recommend them if I was guaranteed it wouldn't take away from the team that we're working with.

Lead Tracking & Analytics Platform For Advertising Firm

"I’ve been really happy with how they took my vision and implemented it."

May - Oct. 2015

Revelry Labs provided development service for a lead tracking agency. The main project was a multifunctional tool to aid in scripting, appointment scheduling, and customer relationship management.

Zed Williamson
President, Trackable Lead Generation

The new system incorporates nearly every element of the original vision. Revelry Labs analyzed the flaws in the prior system and spoke with employees about their needs before development began. Daily communication and budget transparency established a strong collaborative relationship.

We are an advertising agency that’s specifically involved in the medical industry. We design commercial runs in broadcast or digital media that generate an emotional response. When someone responds, they do so in a trackable fashion through local phone numbers or websites, and they’re connected with our operators. We then set the appointments for our clients. The idea is advertising with accountability.

I’m the president of the agency.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Revelry?

We take calls from all over the country. When you hear the word ‘call center’ a certain impression comes to mind, but that is not us. We are stellar at converting calls to appointments, and we wanted a scripting/appointment, setting/CRM [customer relationship management] tool that fit in with how we operate. That’s what we went to them for, to design and develop that custom solution.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We told them what we wanted the tool to do, but it was built from scratch. We actually built into our system a style of personality profiling. If you were to call one of our operators, as they’re taking you through their process, the system flashes personality indicators at the operator. When they see one that lines up with how you are interacting with them, they click it and the system makes a judgment based on that. It will actually change the script to make the operator a better communicator with you. That was one of the ideas we had, which Revelry built.

My best guess as to the size of their team working on this project is about seven. We had a phone call every morning that outlined the course of their work for the day, and their entire team would be on that call.

In working with them, it was important that I came to the conversation with as many ideas around intended outcome as possible. If you’re looking to achieve something, and that’s the most important thing, then you need to make sure that’s the piece that’s communicated the best. All the stuff that gets you to that outcome, you should really leave up to them. If you get too caught up in the details, it could put you in a sticky place. I gave them what I needed it to do, and let them create.

How did you come to work with Revelry?

They came to us from a recommendation that was very trusted, and they seemed very straightforward. That’s really what we were looking for.

The project cost $180,000.

We are launching the solution next week. This project took about six months to complete. It’s the only project we’ve involved them in, but we do have additional plans for the future.

I’ve been really happy with how they took my vision and implemented it. They did a great job of collecting the right information upfront. They sound like they're actually employees of my call center. They sat with the operators and watched what they had to do in our current, dilapidated system, and talked to them about their user interface. Everything was good from that standpoint. My expectations will be that it will flow very nicely.

How did Revelry perform from a project management standpoint?

We didn’t use any type of project management tools to oversee their involvement. The way I approach working with companies this way is basically hiring someone that we can trust. We’re not going to be the type to tell them we don’t like a certain color, or the font should be a half an inch bigger. We’d rather them do what they do. As long as we’re good at describing what we want in advance, we’re going to just trust them with it.

These things are kind of like building a house, where you have a plan, then your wife sees a different kind of tile and goes, ‘Oh, it’ll be nicer to use that kind,’ which will add a couple thousand dollars here and there. That stuff pops up, but it wasn’t a big deal. I was happy with it from a budget perspective. The daily communication really removed all the doubt for me.

What distinguishes Revelry from other providers?

The challenge is when you’re totally new to using a company like them. There are a lot of people out there who have skill in these kinds of solutions. It wouldn’t be smart to make decisions on a $1,000 here or there, when you’re going to spend this much money for something that is really the spine of your business. We felt comfortable believing that, no matter what, in the end it would be what we were looking for. To say that that’s unique, I don’t really know because we haven’t used anyone else. I can say that, hearing stories of this type of work, I was not excited at all about going into this; however, I was pretty darn comfortable throughout the whole thing.

I’ve already recommended them, and we’ll be starting a new engagement with them in 2016.

Web Development For Maritant e-Commerce Site

"The results have been positive even though it’s still a work in progress."

Revelry Labs designed and developed a specialized e-commerce site for a commercial shipping company. The project addressed back-end code, front-end funtionality, and visual design.

Founder & CEO, Maritant

Page traffic grew steadily and had reached 3,000 views per month less than a year after launch. Despite initial miscommunications, Revelry Labs quickly adapted to the project and delivered a high-quality product. The team was accessible and responded promptly to feedback throughout the project.

Please provide a description of your company.

I’m the founder of a company serving the shipping industry. We have a large inventory of parts and services on our website, and we help connect vendors with shipbuilders and engineers.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the founder and CEO.

What was your goal for working with Revelry Labs?

My initial goal was to build a site that was just a directory, and I didn’t realize until after we started building it that we were going to need an e-commerce site. Gerald [Ramos, the CEO,] and Joel [Wietelmann, the CTO] at Revelry were able to provide the experience and talent to get that done.

I’m an engineer by training and I thought at first I had the capability to do most of the work for the site myself, and I would just use Revelry as a consultant. Eventually, the project went beyond my skill level and everything (back-end, front end, graphic design, and code) was done by them.

What was your process for selecting Revelry Labs to work with?

I was referred to Revelry by two individuals, and we set up a meeting very quickly. We probably only talked for an hour before we had agreed on a deal.

What were the results of the project?

The results have been positive even though it’s still a work in progress. Website went live in March of 2014, but we just implemented an SEO [search engine optimization] strategy this past week [January 2015], and I’m told that we’ll probably make a big jump in terms of traffic in the next month.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

Month over month, we keep doubling. We’re averaging 3,000 hits a month now.

Communication. They’re very accessible. I know I can jump on Flowdock, or send an email, and I know it will be promptly returned.

When we start new product features, I think sometimes there’s a disconnect in terms of what I would like to see in a new feature and what’s been coded, but normally by the second iteration we have it all hammered out.

What advice would you give to future clients?

I would design out the flow of your entire process ahead of development. I would be much more detailed in how I laid out what I wanted them to do with the site.

Custom Platform Development For Whetstone Education

"It’s been extremely valuable having them as our dedicated technology partner."

Revelry Labs designed and developed a custom feedback plaform to facilitate teacher communication. The team managed every technical element, from information architecture to UX design.

New Orleans Metro Area
Eric Lavin
CEO at Whetstone Education

Six months after launching the platform, the pool of users had tripled and was continuing to grow. The platform earned praise for its effectiveness and usability. Revelry Labs worked within a tight budget and schedule, and frequently offered technical advice.

Could you describe your organization?

I work at a company offers an observation feedback platform for kindergarten through 12th-grade schools. It manages, and makes more efficient, the relationship between the instructional coach and the teacher. In K-12 context, teachers are observed and coached by their instructional leaders, such as principals. There are a series of interactions that occur in and out of the classroom, and a bunch of data and resources are shared. We try to take that process from wherever it’s happening, whether it on paper or pen, or Google Docs, and build a thoughtful digital platform to manage it all.

I’m the chief executive officer.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached Revelry Labs?

When I joined the company, I saw an opportunity to scale our product and really commercialize the sale of it. Initially, I thought we would simply build upon the existing code base; however, we discovered that we actually needed to start from square one and build a completely new platform. Revelry helped us build our new and improved solution from scratch.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement?

The scope of work was complex and required reaching a certain level of feature parity. We thought we were going to do it all on the original code base, but we ended up building a completely new one because we realized after the fact that it wasn’t going to allow all of the functionalities we wanted. Revelry effectively operated as my CTO [chief technology officer], and after they stopped working on the code itself, they acted as an advisor on all technical issues, and helped us hire our own set of engineers. Really, it was them and me building the whole product. I brought the vision of what it would look like, and they handled all the technical components, from the UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design to the process flows and information architecture.

How did you select Revelry as your partner?

I connected with them through another entrepreneur down here. I was evaluating a number of different groups that I had found through online research, and Revelry was actually just starting up around the time that we were searching for someone. Ultimately, I chose them because I was confident in Gerard [Ramos, CEO at Revelry Labs] and the way that he was helping, walking me through the process of development.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular engagement?

It was $50,000.

When was the project completed?

The product was client ready three months after we started [2013].

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

Our sales numbers really speak for themselves. When I joined the company, there were 10 different schools using the product, and, during the span of about six months, there were some 40 schools using the product, and we’re on schedule this year to triple our numbers. Feedback has been fantastic. We consistently receive praise and compliments from our end-users regarding how simple and yet effective our product really is.

When working with Revelry Labs, is there anything that you would consider unique or special about their approach that distinguishes them from other vendors?

They’re all great guys there, and very talented. Gerard really offers some great ideas based on his experience, as will the rest of their team. They know how to work within a defined scope and tight budget, which isn’t always the case when it comes to developers. It’s been extremely valuable having them as our dedicated technology partner.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

I had zero experience with tech projects of this nature. As a result, I think that they probably could and should have managed me better. It can be easy to walk into issues when you aren’t familiar with these types of deployments, and I came to the table with some unrealistic expectations.

Custom Application For Development EntreScan

"[M]y experience with Revelry has been nothing but positive."

Aug. 2014 - Ongoing

Working from a proof of concept, Revelry Labs built a custom scan-to-3D system. The development team performed functional development, configuration, and internal testing for the product.

New Orleans Metro Area
Charles Carriere
Founder at EntreScan, LLC

Front-end user feedback has been uniformly positive, and internal testing continues to improve the product both visually and functionally. Revelry Labs showed flexible collaboration, accomodating project changes and delivering each stage of the project on schedule.

Could you describe your organization?

I run a startup. We’re working on a scan-to-3D printing application for businesses and consumers.

I’m the founder.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached Revelry Labs?

I had the idea and proof of concept for the solution, but lacked the technical skills to build it myself. That forced me to search for developers externally, someone with the qualifications and experience to design and develop my solution.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement in greater detail?

Most of their work revolved around functional development, testing, systems integration, and configuration. They dealt with the complex, technical areas. I provided strategic guidance and managed the projected directly.

How did you select Revelry Labs as your partner?

A business associate recommended them to me. I talked with about half a dozen different developers, and in each case I felt most comfortable with Revelry. Their approach to design and development was very appealing to me because I knew that I would be heavily involved in an iterative process.

When was this engagement concluded?

The relationship began in August 2014, and it remains ongoing.

Internal testing has showed continuous improvement in functionality with each iteration. It has improved on a visual basis every time, and the usability has continued to improve, too. I’m 100 percent satisfied with their project management, their ability to deliver assignments on time, and remain responsive throughout the deployment process. Feedback from end-users has remained overwhelmingly positive, too. Revelry continues to add value to our product offering.

When working with Revelry Labs, is there anything that you would consider unique or special about their approach that distinguish them from other vendors?

This is the first time that I have used an outsourced partner, so I wouldn’t know how to compare the service provision. I will admit that I’m very pleased with how effortless the whole process has been. I’ve heard horror stories in the past regarding tech projects, but my experience with Revelry has been nothing but positive.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think that they could improve as a service provider?

This was my very first rodeo, so I couldn’t give any input on that. I’ve moved the goalpost on them numerous times, and they’ve responded very well. I’ve been impressed with their flexibility because we’ve had to change things up on them several times.

I already have.