Software development outsourcing. Web/Mobile

Redwerk is a custom software development agency founded back in 2005, that helps to shape, test, and launch software projects of any complexity to our clients in the USA, Canada, and EU. Companies like Universal Music, Siemens, Hosting.com, Helpling.de, ClearDATA, Worldnow and Justin Alexander have been our loyal customers for many years.

Besides delivering quality software solutions, we continually advance our skills and share our experience through collaboration and networking.

Our development and management processes intend to take away additional routine from our customers, because most of the communication, planning, deadlines, as well as QA and code reviews are taken care of internally.

Services Redwerk provides:

Ukraine
Redwerk New York
Redwerk
Germany

Worldnow, Green Valley, ClearData, Siemens, Hosting.com, Penthouse Club, Linktiger, DotGov, 9yahds, Universal Music Group, CleanAgents

PageFreezer

PageFreezer is a web-based service for archiving websites and social media. We built a SaaS application that preserves website and social media content and then replays them as if they were still live. Our team had a deal with web crawling technologies, created an informative admin interface, implemented a standard sitemap XML crawling feature and drew attention to security, data storage, and data integrity sides. We worked with PageFreezer for seven years and are proud of contribution to its success as this solution is the leading in the world for flexible online content archiving needs.

Justin Alexander

Justin Alexander is a worldwide famous bridal dress fashion brand from New York with over 1500 stores in the US, Europe, and Asia. We were asked to create a new multi-brand website. Our team developed a unique page builder that allows to create, add and delete new pages and templates easily; developed a system that shows the closest authorized reseller shops by user’s geolocation; built a mechanism to migrate huge amounts of data to the new platform. Creating a global online showroom was an exciting and complex task for us, and we’ve done a great job accomplishing it!

Quandoo

Quandoo is a restaurant management solution and table booking platform with head office in Berlin, Germany. Redwerk main task was to develop a mobile application for the restaurant owners and administrators to provide them with a toolset to create, observe and gather the stats on particular reservations, overall attendance at their restaurants. We built an iOS app with back-end on a proprietary platform of Quandoo company and created front-end part from the ground up. Also, our designers took [art in creating concepts for the project. As s result, we delivered a complete product within the deadline, and now over 18,000 restaurants around the globe use Quandoo app!

Software Development for Mobile Publishing Agency

"I like the way they structure the teams, having a team lead or a tech project manager as your main point of contact."

Aug. 2015 - Ongoing

Redwerk configured the back-end and front-end of the SaaS application to be externally accessible. They also handled several core applications being developed by the company.

Senior Project Manager, Mobile Advertising Company

Redwerk produced quality code. The team is technically skilled both at the back-end and front-end development. They are responsive and are open for feedback. The slight improvement needed by the team is in the communication aspect which rooted from the language barrier.

Kargo is a company that does mobile advertising exclusively with premium clients. We do desktop currently as well, but our focus more and more, as we go into the future, is on mobile advertising.

I am working as a senior project manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

For us, this is crucial in terms of our roadmap, because we have a lot of tech projects that we need to complete, or things that we need to accomplish this year and early next year in order for us to be placed strategically where we need to be, in terms of the market and being competitive. The challenge that we were facing involved resources, of course. We needed a team that could come in and help us with some of the smaller, but more important projects that we had, that we weren't able to allocate resources to in house. We approached Redwerk, and that's how the relationship started.

There are a few different things that we have in mind. As different things come up, we have worked on different projects but, for now, there are two important things. We have them work on our SaaS [software as a service] application, which is the in-house application that is being used by our business. That will be external soon, hopefully by next year. Additionally, we have recently been focusing on workflow pieces.

When requests come in from clients for ads, or when we have campaigns that come in for clients that need to be set up, there are important pieces within those workflows that we have Redwerk working on. For now, they're responsible for doing both the back-end and the front-end aspects of that work. In the future, it could be more things but, for now, they help us out with our core applications that we are working on and that we are developing.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

I had worked with Redwerk at my previous job, so I knew them and we had a good working relationship. I knew about their work ethic and their skill sets, so it was just natural for me to reach out to Redwerk. I have another colleague here who has worked with them in the past, so we both felt comfortable that Redwerk would be able to address our needs. We really didn't look anywhere else.

I could probably give you a figure more on a monthly basis. I would say it's usually less than $10,000 so far, because we've just had two resources. As we continue to add more, obviously that number is going to go up.

We started working with Redwerk early August of this year [2015], and the work is ongoing.

They always manage to find the right fit for us, even previously when I worked with them. In terms of the skill set, whether it's a front-end engineer or a back-end engineer, they have some talented, skilled workers, and the quality of work that comes back from them is usually pretty good. Of course, there are always hiccups regarding processes and things like that, but that's something that all companies have to figure out when they work with an offshore team.

As far as the quality of the code, I have never had any problems with them in the past couple of months that we've worked with them. They've picked up our architecture and coding practices pretty quickly. They're very responsive, and they're available during the day. The overlap is a good three to four hours, which makes it very easy for us to work with them.

What distinguishes Redwerk from other providers?

One thing that's helpful is that their entire team sits in their office space. I think that's been very helpful, rather than having distributed teams because they are all easily accessible simultaneously. When I need to do meetings, I can speak to the whole group at the same time.

The other thing that I like about them is that Redwerk is very open to feedback. I can contact them anytime. I like the way they structure the teams, having a team lead or a tech project manager as your main point of contact. Working with that person makes it easy, at least for us, because we don't have to talk with three or four different people in terms of requirements or explaining things to them. We just talk to the project manager and things get done.

Is there anything Redwerk could have improved or done differently?

It's hard to say. I think they're very good, technically. I think one thing I would probably say – this goes not only for Redwerk, but for other offshore teams as well – is the communication gap, or the language barrier. Obviously, everybody here speaks only English, so if you have people who are more comfortable with English, it just makes the whole process go much more smoothly.

I would definitely recommend them.

Software Development for Cloud Solution Company

"They're getting the work done, and they're doing it on time."

2014 - Ongoing

Redwerk developed additional software functionalities that allow the product to be accessible and compatible with all devices. They provided assistance on few ongoing developments and updates on the mobile app.

Malta
Redmond Schley
Managing Partner, Cygnet Cloud

Redwerk performed satisfactorily and completed the project according to its specified timeframe and requirements. The team was recommended as a technical partner but could improve on the communication aspect.

We are an online document, email and data management system. We're currently trying to branch out into small and medium-sized enterprises. We needed a couple of interactions in terms of desktop functionality, and this is where Redwerk was helping us.

I am the managing director of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

The business challenge we were facing is that we needed to develop certain software functionalities. We were looking for additional developers and assistance with some of the development we had on hand. We were interested in adding functionality to our product rather than to our website or anything of that nature.

I'm not a technical guy, so I can't give you the scope of what they're doing. They're still working on two additional products for us at the moment. We have an ongoing relationship with them as part of our outsource development team. Our product is fully functional in modern-day browsers.

Instead of syncing files from your desktop, you work completely in a cloud server, whether it be as a small company where you work in the public cloud environment that we have, or if you have a larger organization and you feel that you want to have your own private cloud server. The whole product works in a browser, regardless of the device you are using, be it a laptop, desktop, or tablet. We have a mobile app, which we've also asked Redwerk to review and update for us.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

We actually had been looking for a number of different outsourcing environments. We worked close to home, we worked with some people in Malta, and we worked with outsourcing companies in India, with varying degrees of success. Last year, we got back in touch with Konstantin [Klyagin, the CEO] from Redwerk. We gave them a project that was quite successful, and the communication has been very good. As a result, the amount of work that we placed with them has grown, and it helps with what we're doing. We have a couple of developers there who seem to understand what our product is.

At the moment, we tend to work on small projects at a time – less than $10,000 for each one. We're working together right now, and we're discussing the possibility of taking on a team there, where we'd be talking about expanding the scope and size of the work. But, that's still in discussions.

I believe we started working with Redwerk in the second quarter of 2014. The relationship is ongoing.

From the beginning, we had a process that we went through. We worked on establishing what needed to be done, what the quotation of the work was, and we set a timescale. There were no increases in fees, and the timescales were generally met. Sometimes, if things went wrong, it was only because we had increased the scope of the work.

What distinguishes Redwerk from other providers?

Redwerk gets the work done. I guess when you speak to many people about outsourcing software development work, there are a lot of mixed reviews, but we're quite happy with Redwerk. They're getting the work done, and they're doing it on time.

Is there anything Redwerk could have improved or done differently?

We've been working with them for slightly more than a year now, but the projects are smaller in scope, and that's precisely the way we want to keep it at this moment in time. Sometimes, it's a case of getting the communication level correct. Sometimes, it takes a bit longer than I would expect, but that could also have been on our side. The blame in that case is probably 50/50, to be honest with you.

I'm very happy with the value.
    I'd be very likely to recommend them.

Software Application Development for Health Care Cloud Computing Company

"Redwerk was very eager to get a problem solved, to work with us, and try to understand what the problem was."

n/a

Redwerk provided software development and enhancements assigned to them by ClearDATA.

Austin, Texas
David Villapudua
Software Engineer, ClearDATA

Redwerk successfully repaired a number of technical errors in the software. Due to the time zone difference, there were slight problems in the communication aspect, but the team was able to provide solutions and quality output.

I work for ClearDATA, Inc. It is a company that provides cloud computing services, specifically to the health care vertical.

I'm a software engineer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

At the time, we only had a couple of software engineers and we needed to have one of our applications upgraded quickly. We didn't have the time to go through the hiring process. We contracted with Redwerk to provide software development needs.

The way the project was set up, we had a product owner. She was the one that talked to our customers. We built this system for a customer of ours. She decided which enhancement we were going to work on next. These enhancements are going to be broken up into two. One for the software engineers that worked for my company and some for Redwerk. I can give you a generalized overview but not specifics. Our customer would come to the product owner and ask for changes to the website. We work in a natural environment, so we would break up the enhancements into smaller chunks, which we called stories, and then the stories would be prioritized by the product owner, and they'd be passed out to Redwerk. They were responsible for the software development to accomplish the enhancement. Once that was done, we would test it on our side, and include the finished product in the next upgrade of our system.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

I was not involved in that process. Our CTO [chief technology officer] had worked with them on a previous occasion and had recommended them. Beyond that, I am not sure what else went into the decision.

There was never an exact timeline. The work was started and, at some point, we went through the hiring process, hired in house software engineers, and that's when the work with Redwerk was finished. We started August of last year. I was no longer involved with that project, but I believe it was January or February that we no longer were using them.

How did Redwerk perform from a project management standpoint?

The system that we were working with had a huge amount of problems, so their software engineers had to work within the context of a system that had many areas for improvement. Overall, I'd say they were pretty good. The quality of the work was usually accepted. The only times we had problems was when there was not a good understanding. There was some lack of communication between them and us as far as what we wanted them to do, compared to what the enhancement entailed. That might have been more of a communication issue than a technical issue.

What distinguishes Redwerk from other providers?

I have never worked with another company in this capacity, in a situation where they were providing software engineering services. But, what I would say is that when we needed their help it was easy to get in contact with them. Redwerk was very eager to get a problem solved, to work with us, and try to understand what the problem was. The only issue I would say is the time difference. Redwerk was in Europe, so the time difference sometimes became problematic for us.

Is there anything Redwerk could have improved or done differently?

Communication – obviously that goes both ways. But, I would suggest that they keep communicating and making sure they understand what the issue is that we're trying to resolve.

They met deadlines.
  • N/A Cost
    I can't answer that.

Software Development for Website Archiving Tool

"The overall quality of Redwerk's work was good."

2010 - 2014

Redwerk was responsible for the front-end development, user interface implementation, database design, and back-end development for the website. After the initial version, they made repairs and additional features.

Michael Riedyk
Founder, PageFreezer

Redwerk provided a reliable software development service. The team has excellent project management and was flexible in their operations. They could improve the communication to reduce project delays due to time zone differences.

I've actually done several projects with Redwerk. The latest work I did with them, in 2014, was for PageFreezer, which is a website and social media archiving solution.

I am the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

Our business challenge was finding a way to archive website and social media data at a large volume every day, in a reliable way for our customers, for regulatory compliance and legal purposes.

I've been working with Redwerk since 2010, up until around 2014. For PageFreezer, they were responsible for front-end development, user interface implementation, database design, and back-end development. They took care of the whole product development cycle. After the initial version was developed, they added new features, fixed bugs, and improved the product.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

I was working with them since the very beginning in 2006. I was actually their first customer, on a different project and with a different company. Then, after I had moved on, based on the experience there, that's why I hired them in 2010.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative?

We had a dedicated team hired, anywhere from three to seven people working on our solution on a continuous basis. It was not on a project basis, it was really on a month-by-month basis, depending on the capacity that we needed. The minimum team was about three or four people.

We started to work together in 2010, and collaborated until 2014. They acted as an outsourced development team, and then in 2014 I in-sourced everything here in my local office, and I discontinued the contract.

Could you share any statistics or feedback from this engagement?

We had a queue with issues and new components that had to be developed on a weekly basis. We discussed what to develop and implement next, and which issue should be picked up, but I don't have any specific quality metric or something that we used. The overall quality of Redwerk's work was good. At that time, they were going through some changes in their team, which resulted in some setbacks at certain moments but, generally, I think they're providing a reliable software development service, and they were able to operate in a flexible way.

If I needed an extra designer, an extra tester, or an extra developer, they were able to pick that up fairly quickly. In a matter of weeks or sometimes days, they were able to add additional capacity when it was required. I did not directly work with their team, but with a team manager, so I don't have any direct experience with their people other than the manager.

How did Redwerk perform from a project management standpoint?

We used an agile project development method. In general, their project management was good.

Is there anything Redwerk could have improved or done differently?

At times, I believe that it would have been more effective if we could communicate directly with their developers. All the communication was relayed through the project manager, and I think it could be improved by more direct lines with the developers at certain points, to cut out some layers there and make it quicker. They're nine hours ahead of us, so we always had one day of delay in responses. If you could make that communication more effective, that would really help. That could be a potential area for improvement, I don't know if they already do that right now or not, but that's something I think would be good.

Overall Score Overall, we were satisfied with the product.
    I would certainly refer them.

Software Development for Link Fixing Website

"At the end of the day, it's all about cost, quality, and time.... Redwerk were good."

2006 - 2012

Redwerk developed the software from scratch and according to the required specifications of the company's partner. They handled all the coding and testing as well as technical support and troubleshooting.

Stephen Moskowski
Owner and Founder, LinkTiger

Redwerk delivered a quality tool within time and budget. One area for improvement is at the end of the project, the estimates seemed higher than necessary. Overall, the team has knowledgeable resources capable of development and QA.

We are LinkTiger. We have a Software as a Service tool that is an automated link checker/scanner of websites. It's a quality assurance tool that our customers use to ensure all the links on their sites are working properly. We scan for HTTP errors.

I'm the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

It was my partner who originally approached them. He had the idea to create this tool out of necessity and he's not a developer. He's more of a product manager, engineer type-business analyst. He scoped the specifications and requirements for the app that we wanted to build. Then, he went and found Redwerk to do all the coding and testing of the solution. My partner managed the project and had Redwerk developers and QA [quality assurance] analysts do all the coding of the tool. That was a relationship that was in place for about five years in its entirety. Then we got to the point where we didn't want to use offshore resources anymore, so we decided to bring the work back in house.

They pretty much developed the tool from scratch. All the features and functionalities they built based off my partner's specifications. They worked very closely together and built the tool. They also did support, and troubleshooting whenever there was a bug.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

It wasn't a very extensive process. We did what we typically do when we're looking for a new supplier like this. We'll go out and find three different vendors, and then we'll start off with a small project and see how they each interact with us – see how efficient they are, see how many questions they ask, see if they can do things with minimal support, and if they can use the written documentation and guidance we provide them. From there, we narrow the options down until we have our choice. That's how we found Redwerk. The relationship grew from there.

During the five or six years [of the relationship with Redwerk], we spent a couple hundred thousand dollars. On average, I'd say we spent less than $50,000 a year.

The work began in late 2006 and was completed in early 2012.

Could you share any statistics or general feedback from this engagement?

I don't have specific metrics.  Generally speaking, we were happy with the quality. We had a relationship that lasted six years. I would say the quality was fine. They had knowledgeable resources. They had a team that could do development and QA.

How did Redwerk perform from a project management standpoint?

Their leader was more the project manager and technical analyst. He would work directly with me and with my partner, and then he would communicate with his internal team in order to get the work done. He was responsible for all estimations.

What distinguishes Redwerk from other providers?

At the end of the day, it's all about cost, quality, and time. How quickly can they turn things around? How good is it and how cost effective are they? In all of those aspects, Redwerk were good, otherwise we wouldn't have stuck with them for six years.

Is there anything Redwerk could have improved or done differently?

There's one area where I thought their estimates – I found especially towards the end were getting to be pretty high in terms of effort. I don't know if that's because our system was getting more complex. I started to think that maybe their estimates were a little off. I didn't really compare that to anything. They always did what they said they were going to do. They always did it on time and on budget. Rarely did they go over the estimate. But, I think maybe they added extra hours in the estimate just to cover those risks. I don't know if that was a function of the situation but that's the only complaint that I would have.

I have recommended them already.

Cloud-based Process Automation Tool for Computer Software Company

"They're so responsive and so trustworthy that I wish they were side by side in the next room."

Redwerk upgraded the cloud-based automation tool with STRIPE integration. They added a drag-and-drop functionality as well as an e-commerce component. They also provided debugging and support.

Springfield, Massachusetts
Pamela Simpson
Co-founder, 9yahds

Redwerk performed outstandingly by completing the project in a timely manner without sacrificing quality. The team is capable of being creative and offering alternative solutions beyond those in the original scope.

9yahds is a cloud-based automation tool providing an intuitive solution to create, use and track all of your critical workflows. Our mission is to build more resilient companies by providing a solution every businessperson can use to document his or her business processes. With our role-based modeling, workflows are built task by task, assigned to roles, not people. That way, though staff changes, processes remain consistent. Redwerk has performed a number of projects for us during the last two years.

I'm the co-founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Redwerk?

The major projects initially performed included moving from a single tenant to a multi-tenant, cloud-based solution and adding drag-and-drop functionality to a form-based user interface. Next, Redwerk integrated STRIPE, an ecommerce component, to 9yahds so the user could sign up for free, and then manage the subscription from their account. More recently, Redwerk created a "Community Folder" for us, allowing us to pre-populate 9yahds with workflows contributed by professionals. Our users can access that folder by dragging these shared processes into their team folder and customizing. This capability allows us to update the "Community Folder" continuously to build that asset. They have also performed countless changes to the user interface, no project is considered too small or too complex for them. They treat each project with great care and do a great job. They have truly been the equivalent of an in-house team for us since the beginning of the company.

We knew we wanted to be cloud based. We wanted to update the usability of our tool. We wanted to add e-commerce to it. We wanted to add a community so folks didn't have to deal with blank page syndrome. Down the road, we foresee a mobile application with a new UI [user interface]. Redwerk actually started some of that and then we realized we needed to focus on some other things, but they're very capable of performing these future upgrades. They also do a lot of the debugging and provide great support for us as well. We really rely on them anytime something isn't working quite right. They always get back to us quickly with identification of the problem and the options to solve it. They are wonderful.

How did you come to work with Redwerk?

They were recommended to us by a large domestic hosting company that did some outsourcing to them. They're a very reputable company, and we relied completely on that reference.

I'd say they have committed about 1,500 hours to various projects. Every project that is specified is discussed thoroughly, and they often provide multiple options to meet our objectives. They can give us the Cadillac or they can start with a Hyundai. I'm very trusting of their quotes because they always give us options.

They are currently performing a few small upgrades with respect to our audit trail and how some of the data tables display. We are also having them perform upgrades to our infrastructure.

I don't have metrics, but I can tell you they're wonderful. They do a lot of research and present options if there is more than one way to code or display what we are requesting. Sometimes, we ask them how they suggest we add or change something, and they describe the specification for us. Most jobs we have done now are under 15 hours, but we have completed a number of projects that were in excess of 50 hours. They work very rapidly.

How did Redwerk perform from a project management standpoint?

Honestly, I consider Redwerk a part of our team. They're so responsive and so trustworthy that I wish they were side by side in the next room. In fact, it feels that way. They are just an email or Skype message away. We work primarily through email, including the team on all communications.

What distinguishes Redwerk from other providers?

They don't just respond to your specs. They come back and tell you that they already tried a few designs, and they show them to you. They actually have sent us screenshots at times of ideas that they have. They go beyond just doing what you ask. They interact with the specifications and really come up with alternatives, and they'll warn you sometimes, about the possible consequences of the changes you're thinking about making if it is going to have impact across the application. They're very good at being creative – they're not just order takers. They are involved and committed to the success of the solution.

Nothing I can think of.

I think if something isn't on schedule, it's because something comes up, and it's completely legitimate.
    I think the value that we're getting is amazing. They're so invested in what they do for us. I am grateful to have them on the other end of the email when I have a concern about performance.