Please describe the scope of their work.
During the third phase, which was, of course, the largest, Redweb did everything from planning through building. They looked at all of our key stakeholders, and all of our existing integrations, in order to maintain those connections. Coupled with that, Redweb was responsible for the UX [user experience] design, issues of usability and the technical requirements.
One thing that was not part of our original vision was that Redweb became responsible for the hosting environment. We actually challenged them by changing our hosting environment about two months before launch. We had to change our deployment and testing plans at the last hour. Redweb also had to work closely with our internal IT [information technology] teams to maintain both connections and interactivity with all of our back-end systems. A lot of those are legacy technologies we still needed to support, maintaining those APIs [application programming interfaces] and connections.
What was your process for selecting Redweb with which to work?
Our preferred CMS [content management system] was Sitecore, so during the RFP [request for proposal] process, we actually went out to preferred partners within Sitecore’s network. We narrowed our initial choices down to five – three in the U.K. and two in North America. At the time, our Web team was U.K. based, so that played an important part in our decision making. We finally narrowed our choices down to two. Our IT teams met with both finalists to make sure they had a full understanding of the technical requirements of the project. We selected Redweb based on their previous experience. We felt that they fit nicely with our business and our brand.
Can you provide a ballpark figure for the size of the work that they’ve done for you?
We have spent between £200,000 and £500,000 [approximately $300,000 and $745,000] working with Redweb.
What was the timeline of the project?
It’s been a long project due to the nature of our business. The RFP was sent out in early 2013. We selected Redweb by March of that year, and they began on the first phase of the project, which took about three to four months.
The second phase was delivered on schedule; however, by the time we were ready to deploy that site refresh, we had experienced some transitions on our team, and we were in the middle of our busy season. Because of both of these factors, we didn’t deploy the refreshed site until November .
The requirements for phase three were kind of evolving, and the sign off from key stakeholders took a lot longer than expected. During that phase of the project, we restructured our team and moved it physically from the U.K. to Toronto, which had an impact on the project. We lost about two months there. So, instead of deploying in June , we ended up deploying in early September.