WordPress and WooCommerce Experts

We created Raison after many moons working on the other side of the table. We saw our suppliers build clunky and bespoke websites that took an age to build and even longer to change. In this business, you’ve got to be nimble. We cut away at complexity and provide websites that work. Full stop.

We specialise in WordPress development and WooCommerce.

Head to our site for more information on WooCommerce Development

We also offer WooCommerce Consultancy on Clarity

We look forward to hearing from you and helping you grow your business.

Brighton, United Kingdom

Mind the Product

White Clarke Group

Website Redevelopment for Fintech Firm

“Their industry knowledge when it comes to new technologies and best practices was very impressive.”

July 2016 - Nov. 2017

Raison assisted in rebuilding an existing site, porting to WordPress, and adding new features and technologies to improve functionality.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Digital Marketing Specialist, White Clarke Group

Changes made to the site resulted in improvements to a variety of user metrics. Effective communication and a deep understanding of new technologies were key in creating a modern, user-friendly layout.

I am a digital marketing specialist at White Clarke Group. We are a global software provider focusing on end-to-end automotive consumer finance software. In addition to marketing, I oversee the site and all our hosting services.

What challenge were you trying to address with Raison?

Originally, we were porting our old site from an older and less supported content management system (CMS). We were looking to move the site onto WordPress and bring in new technologies to improve functionality.

They oversaw a full rebuild of our site, which includes over 200 pages, and its transition to WordPress. They also redesigned several sections with form fields and implemented several new widgets, including the SEO tool, the custom fields plugin, and the WordPress Multilingual Plugin (WPML).

I served as a project manager, and we worked with one developer from Raison.

How did you come to work with Raison?

They came highly recommended by a web developer that we were already working with. After a short interview, we were confident they could address our needs.

We started working with them in July 2016 and completed the project by November 2017.

We’ve made a number of improvements to the customer experience with regards to our Knowledge Share Center and industry insights, and the figures on those are certainly a lot better. We’ve seen drastic improvement in the number of international users. Average page views have gone up by 2%, our bounce rate has fallen 4.2%, and time spent on the site has increased 9%.

How did Raison perform from a project management standpoint?

They communicated very effectively. We used Basecamp for project management and Slack to interact daily.

Their industry knowledge when it comes to new technologies and best practices was very impressive. They also had a deep understanding of hosting, which helped us to make improvements on the site’s overall performance. Overall, their ability to understand our needs and translate them into specific technical solutions made them a great partner to work with.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Staying updated requires strong project management skills on your end.
    There was a bit of room for improvement.

Web Dev for Product Management Community

“Their communication and attitude are delightful… Every conversation is focused on creating value and solving problems.”

May 2017 - Ongoing

Looking to expand their network, a product management company engaged Raison to build a unified user platform in WordPress. They developed an MVC system, integrated API, and added admin features.

Cambridge, UK
Chris Massey
Product Manager, Mind the Product

Initial reports are strongly positive and backend features improve team workflow. Widgets simplify announcements for events and internal pain points are resolved. Raison was quick and responsive, providing detailed communication whenever necessary.

We are an events, training, and community company for product managers. I am the product manager for the company and look after building our new web platform as well as make sure that our technology works correctly.

What challenge were you trying to address with Raison?

We wanted to widen our network of local chapters based on Meetup.com. We wanted to bring them onto a unified platform to get a better idea of the shape and size of our community and to provide better services for them. We wanted a well-recommended developer with experience in WordPress to extend our existing website and build in functionality.

We use WordPress as a standard frontend, which doesn’t naturally have an MVC structure. One of the engineers developed an MVC system for it, which they adapt and scale to the work. It makes development cleaner and much more effective. We’ve had a chunk of functionality that needed a plugin to integrate it. We built a newsletter subscription controlled directly by use profiles. They came up with an elegant way to present the information we needed and sensibly integrated the API.

They’re good at highlighting what’s feasible and help us make informed decisions about the limitations of the technology and getting what we need from it. We collaborate to find solutions. It’s a big project and there are a lot of things that we need right before the launch. Everything is more effective thanks to the improvements on the site.

We built some quick features on the administration dashboard to make it easier for us to manage certain things. That was a good experience, and we got value from working with them on the following phase. They’ve helped build the infrastructure for event management. We still have a laundry list of things for them to refine as we learn more about how our customers use them. We have some features we’d like to prototype and test.

I act as the project manager. Raison supplies one developer/engineer, Elliot (Founder, Raison). We have another company working on the backend and a freelance designer.

How did you come to work with Raison?

We heard of them through word of mouth. We asked the local developer community in Brighton for suggestions and Raison kept coming up. Elliot (Founder, Raison) runs the local WordPress meetup. We looked over his work and his network connections and felt he knew what he was talking about.

We spend around £4,000 ($5,585) per month.

Development began in May 2017 and is ongoing.

We haven’t fully shipped yet, we’ve mostly solved internal pain points. The team as a whole is delighted with the impact. The feedback for the first wave of work is overwhelmingly positive. We were also pleased with small backend features that improve the team workflow.

We changed the way we present upcoming events on the home page. Previously, they were coded by hand and were prone to error. We worked to quickly build a small widget in the backend that allowed us to use forms for the information, effectively dropping errors to zero. We’re so much happier with the design system; it’s much faster and easier.

How did Raison perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very responsive on the phone. If they’re working, I can just pick up the phone and have a discussion or ask questions. We email very little, and tend to use Slack or the telephone for quick, ad hoc communication. We’ve had regular video calls every week or every other week and check in to make sure everything is on track. The scope of tools we use has been excellent and detailed where it needs to be.

It’s been a very good experience; their work is great. Their communication and attitude are delightful. They’re very easy to reach and to work with; their attitude is relaxed, positive, and constructive; and there’s no bureaucratic back-and-forth. We can focus on building or fixing things and moving forward. Every conversation is focused on creating value and solving problems. There’s a very good rapport and they provide good insight.

There's very little I'd change. One thing that could be useful is communicating the scope of individual segments of work. Granulating the tasks to the nearest half day would allow us to release things more frequently and focus on the pieces that need more energy or priority. We haven’t communicated this to them yet.

They’ve been very agile and delivered in time for us to release some things even sooner than we hoped.
    The code, quality of communication, and the relationship we have with them are all excellent.
    Whatever I ask them to do, the ship. We’re very happy with their code and they accommodate our changing requirements.

e-Commerce Development for Consumer Products Importer and Retailer

"They’re always looking at new trends.... They’re a warm company and definitely nice to deal with."

Raison Online revamped the website into a simpler yet functional version to showcase the client's brand and process customer transactions. They also provided user training on the use of the Woo Commerce system.

Bridgewater, United Kingdom
Elena Raynor
Owner & Founder, Golden Oils, Ltd.

The successful launch of the new website has greatly improved the brand reputation and daily business operations. They received positive feedback from end users regarding the overall aesthetic design and usability of the website. Raison Online was responsive, professional and friendly.

Please describe your company.

My company is called Golden Oils, and I’m an online retailer of health products from Siberia.

I am the founder and owner.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached Raison Online?

I just wanted a new website to showcase my brand and process transactions for my customers. I didn’t know the technical implications it would incur, but I ended up with a brand new website which looked so much better, and I’ve had only positive feedback ever since.

Could you describe the actual scope of work assigned to them?

They reviewed my old site, and they suggested a much simpler and cheaper version for me. I can now edit the site myself in many cases, which is great. I provided all of the content and visuals they needed for the new site.

Their founder [Elliot Taylor] came over for an initial meeting, to meet me and assess my needs, to have a conversation, to get a feel for what I wanted, which was greatly appreciated. Then, he came over to train me to use the Woo Commerce system, which was good. He also provided support over the phone, which I thought was kind.

How did you come to choose Raison Online as your partner?

I came across them by chance when I was looking for a company to update my old website.

It was approximately £2,500 [$3,700].

What is the status of the project?

There’s no formal support contract between us now, but I still call on them regularly when I need assistance with updates to the site. They’ve been very accommodating.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

In terms of customer feedback, I’ve heard that it’s easy to use, and it looks great. I get constant feedback that it looks very modern, and it’s easy to use. It’s a tremendous improvement on my old website, which was cumbersome to manage and wasn’t very visually appealing.

About halfway through our collaboration, they restructured our payment. I was a much smaller client than they were used to focusing on, and I couldn’t handle the pricing packages they were offering. They were so good about that. They agreed to continue providing me one-off personal service when and how I needed, and they would charge me per inquiry, or per work. I thought that was very flexible.

When working with Raison Online, is there anything that you would consider unique about their strategic approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

I know they’re probably not making a lot of money on me, but they haven’t dropped their code of ethics in dealing with customers, which I really appreciated. Whenever I have inquiries, they always come back to me. They’re always very efficient in dealing with my problems. I’m a customer who doesn’t give them much profit or anything else, but they treat me really well. I can see their integrity as a company. The majority of companies would have dropped me, but they didn’t, and they treated me with the same respect, which is something to value nowadays.

They’re very kind and professional. They’re always looking at new trends. They’re a very friendly bunch. They’ve recommended me to a few people in business who I’m dealing with now, which is great because they’re ready to share their business connections. Outside of the business, they’re also very socially flexible and friendly, and they don’t want to keep their useful connections for themselves. They’re always open up to the world and happy to share people who provide great value for money with their customers. They’re more than just professionals. They’re a warm company and definitely nice to deal with.

In retrospect, are there any areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

They have no phone number that you can call, which is something they definitely could improve on because it could come across that they are relatively inaccessible. They are good at coming back to you if you drop them an email.

WordPress Implementation for Online Costume Retailer

"They’re almost too good because word has spread about how good they are, and they’ve got a lot to work on."

Raison Online developed the back-end of the Wordpress website and incorporated visual designs. They also provided Wordpress CMS user training and assisted in SEO.

Bryn Wesson
Founder, The Costume Shop UK

The Wordpress website was successfully launched and received positive feedback from the end users regarding its graphic design. Raison Online delivered high-quality work, demonstrated excellent communication, and flexibility throughout the project.

Please describe your company.

I run an online Internet business selling fancy dress costumes. It’s a U.K. Internet business in its infancy, something I set up and run out of my bedroom.

I’m the founder.

Could you describe the business challenge you were trying to address when you first approached Raison Online?

I initially engaged another Web designer to start the project from inception. It transpired that this particular chap was out of his depth really, and when I finally got rid of him, it was almost a case of having to abandon the project altogether. Raison was able to retain some assets from the previous developer, for example, some of the graphics work. The whole hosting package, the mechanics of the site, and the data had to be recalibrated.

Could you describe the actual scope of work assigned to them?

They were responsible for the technical programming of the back-end of the site, as well as incorporating visual designs. They helped train me to use the WordPress CMS [content management system]. One such example, that I had no knowledge of, is useful plug-ins. So, they were able to offer advice and suggestions. They demonstrated the benefits of any particular plug-in and, if required, they would install it for me, and make sure it was calibrated perfectly, and dealt with any unintended consequences of installing a plug-in. They always try to find the most cost-effective solution as well. I knew next to nothing about how a site was put together, and the previous developer suggested WordPress.

How did you come to select Raison Online as your partner?

I searched through WordPress itself to see if there were a couple of WordPress experts that could be recommended, and I received three. One wasn’t relevant, and then I contacted two others, one of those being Raison. They were the only ones who had the courtesy to respond. I had a project, but the wheels were coming off, and it was facing abandonment.

Between £5,000 and £10,000 [approximately $7,400 and $14,800].

Is this an ongoing project, or has the site been launched?

The site has been launched, but the relationship with Raison is still ongoing for additions and updates to the site. They’re also assisting us with some SEO [search engine optimization] work. I expect to retain them for some Google Analytics work as well.

The fact that we were able to launch at all is an achievement in itself. We are now selling products from our site, and we are gaining considerable traction. We only first started trading, so we only launched in December of last year [2014], so we’re a couple months old.

It seems to be well laid out. Our graphics work and graphics banner seem to be getting good feedback. I’ve had friends and family look through things, and they seem to be impressed.

Now and again, there can be small delays before they can get things done. When it does happen, they try to find a solution, and they make sure to let me know. The communication is excellent. They’re almost too good because word has spread about how good they are, and they’ve got a lot to work on.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

Only that slight area. Other than that, it’s been first rate.

What advice, if any, would you give to a future client of theirs?

I think they’re well suited to cater to people of all levels of technical ability. If someone is a complete novice, then I would recommend that he or she get in touch because Raison will be able to deliver the project from the ground up. Even for someone who is a little more advanced and can do some coding, I’m sure they’d still get excellent value from Raison as well.

WordPress Implementation for Arts Marketing Firm

"[T]hey took the time to learn the requirements of my company, to understand what I was asking for."

Raison Online designed and developed the website in Wordpress. They provided accessible online tutorials and user training for the staff. They were also responsible for keeping the contents updated.

Luz Loizou
Founder, ArtsHead, Ltd.

The Wordpress website was successfully implemented with user-friendly functionalities and received positive feedback from the end users and stakeholders. Raison Online exercised excellent project management, responsiveness and flexibility to meet the requested specifications.

Please describe your company.

We do marketing and data collection for arts and cultural companies in London.

I’m the founder.

I needed a brand new website built for my company. I think the site was built using WordPress.

Could you describe the actual scope of work assigned to them?

They were responsible for the technical elements of the website as well as the visual components. They trained my staff, and they have some tutorials inserted into the website, so people can look at them.

How did you come to choose Raison Online as your partner?

I knew Tamsin [Urquhart], who is one of the founders, from before. I spoke to her about what I needed, and she recommended her boyfriend, Elliot [Taylor].

It was about $20,000.

Is the project concluded or ongoing?

They still service the website, and they’re still in charge of keeping the contents updated. They draft three blogs for us each week.

I think my website is used at least 10 times a day, and on the weekends, it’s more. We use the website also in here to authorize what the users are doing every day. It’s easy to use. We haven’t had any problems at all.

From a project management perspective, I definitely feel like they’ve demonstrated high-quality service. They were able to deliver assigned work on time, within the predetermined scope and to my requested specifications.

I think they took the time to learn the requirements of my company, to understand what I was asking for. They were quick to respond when they saw any problems or anything. They’re a small company, so it’s easy to get in touch with them directly, instead of getting passed around to different departments.

No. Not really. I’m quite happy with them.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client of theirs?

Have a plan of what your company does, so they can prepare and learn from it. It’s important to come to the table with a clear vision and idea of what you want.