Web Design and Branding Agency, Newton MA

For 25 years, RainCastle has solved every kind of communication problem our clients have brought—whether branding, design, website, UI/UX, or marketing related—with intelligent, engaging and flawlessly executed solutions.

RainCastle is the home of a collegial, multidisciplinary group of talented professionals—digital strategists, designers, UI/UX experts, writers, programmers and client service professionals—with the well-earned reputation of being a collaborative team on whom clients rely.

1994
Newtonville, MA
  • 288 Walnut Street
    Newtonville, MA 02460

See client list on website.

Branding & Digital Marketing for Wealth Management Company

“They make a point to get to know you and adapt in order to be the right fit for your organization.”

Aug. 2015 - June 2016

RainCastle Communications, Inc. redesigned a website as part of a larger rebranding project. They refreshed the design and made it mobile-friendly, rewrote copy, and added new visual media.

Tom Francione
Manager of Trust Administration, Loring, Wolcott & Coolidge

Their team was consistently on top of communication and delivered all project components successfully. They devoted time to understanding the organization and modernizing its site in a way that still felt comfortable and consistent with its traditional image.

I’m the manager of trust and estate administration at Loring, Wolcott & Coolidge, which is a wealth management firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

We hired them to help us relaunch our website as part of a larger rebranding project.

They updated our site to reflect the changes in our branding and also rebuilt it to be mobile-friendly. In terms of content, they worked with us to write our new copy, chose new stock photos for us, and incorporated additional in-house images onto the correct pages.

We primarily worked with our project manager, but the creative director was also highly involved.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

We’d worked with them before, in the early 2000s, to modernize our site. It was such a good experience that we decided to bring them in again for this project. They’re really willing to get involved in understanding our culture, which is quirky in comparison to other financial management firms. Instead of pushing trendy styles or features on us, they made sure to understand our needs and follow our lead.

We spent somewhere between $60,000–$70,000.

We worked on this project from August 2015–June 2016.

Our site looks cleaner and has gotten more compliments from clients who appreciate the update. We’re a traditional institution, so it was nice to see people respond positively and change their perception of us as being set in our ways or maybe a bit out of touch with the digital era.

How did RainCastle Communications, Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

They reply promptly to emails. When it came to calls or in-person meetings, they were consistently on schedule. We had a great working relationship.

They make a point to get to know you and adapt to be the right fit for your organization. For us, that meant they were able to work within our comfort zone as far as the site’s look and feel, while at the same time making our brand come across as current and in touch with a modern audience. I think it’s a bit atypical for web developers to embrace a company’s culture so thoroughly, make time to understand who we are and work within our comfort zone.

There's nothing from my perspective.

Before you get started, be open about what you want, what you value, and who you’re trying to reach with your project.

WordPress Web Redesign for Film Production Company

“They managed to create a seamless experience and simplify the process for us … .”

July 2018 - January 2019

Working collaboratively with in-house team, RainCastle Communications created a new logo and redesigned a WordPress website. They were in charge of both the design and the development.

David Kahn
Managing Partner, Ecast Productions

The feedback from clients has been overwhelmingly positive and the in-house team loves the look and feel of the site. RainCastle went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their ability to find answers to all questions and resolve any problem made them a reliable partner.

I'm a managing partner at Ecast Productions. We're a video production company in Boston.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications?

Our website was about six years old, so  we wanted to completely redesign it and make it faster.  We needed a vendor to help us.

First, we discussed our challenges and the things we wanted to change. We also identified other websites that had elements we wanted to incorporate into our new WordPress site. Then, RainCastle came back to us with several different concepts for redesign. We worked with them to refine the design that we liked the most. Once we agreed on an overall site design, they created mockups for all of the individual pages. We provided our feedback, and they made all the changes we asked of them.

Then, we moved into the development phase. Again, we would provide feedback along the way to make sure that all of the features were exactly what we wanted. Finally, they helped us launch the website, taking care of web hosting and domain management. They also designed a logo for us.

We mostly worked with three members of their team, but there were more people working on our project at various stages.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications?

They built our old website. At that point, we selected them because of the referrals. They did a great job, and we got to trust them. Since they already knew our company and understood our brand, we decided to reach out to them again.

We spent about $20,000.

We worked with them from July 2018–January 2019.

The website has been live for only a few weeks, but we've received fantastic feedback from our clients who have seen it. The website looks amazing and really highlights our work.

How did RainCastle Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

We usually talked to them twice a week, and communication was always very clear. We had a dedicated project manager who was available throughout the entire process and was very responsive. Even though she didn't always have an answer to our question (for example, if it was a very technical question), she was very good at engaging the correct resources to address the question or resolve the problem.

They managed to create a seamless experience and simplify the process for us, despite the fact that we're in a very technical field. There may have been a lot of technical work happening on the backend, but they were very clear about what input they needed from us. They also provided a very clear guidance and insightful suggestions from the design perspective.

I can't think of anything.

If you're considering starting a project with them, bring them in early. They can certainly deliver even if you come to them with a lot of preconceived ideas, but they’ll provide a lot of valuable insight if you engage them early.

Overall Score It was a great experience and we're thoroughly satisfied.
    They were very clear with their timelines and always informed us when things changed.
    I don't have a lot of points to reference on that, but I feel we've got great value for our money.
    We've only received positive feedback on the final product.

Logo & Web Design for Cycling Studio

“RainCastle Communications, Inc. stays on the cutting edge of what the people are doing in the design space.”

RainCastle Communications, Inc. designed a startup’s first website along with a WordPress landing page to promote the launch. They designed several iterations of a logo and selected a color scheme for the brand.

Arlington, Massachusetts
Jackie Maurer
Owner, Upbeat Cycling Studio

RainCastle Communications, Inc. delivered a versatile and attractive logo that looks great on branded fitness gear and apparel. The designs they produced encapsulate the messaging and words that comprise the brand’s true identity. They’re a reliable, engaged, and amiable partner.

I am the owner, founder, and CEO of Upbeat Cycling. Our small boutique indoor cycling and fitness studio in Arlington, Massachusetts has been open for just over a year.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

I was looking for a company to provide web and logo design for my cycling studio. As a brand-new startup, we didn’t have a website at all yet.

Raincastle Communications, Inc. created our first website from scratch. Instead of diving in and handing over a final product, they began with a series of conversations to discover the meaning and intent of our brand. They asked the right questions to elicit useful information and define the user experience.

Following best practice, they translated the wireframe and basic menu structures I provided into three design options. We discussed each one over a call or in a meeting and worked together to finalize the site design and build the architecture.

They integrated the website into the backend of our point-of-sale and reservation system, which another vendor manages. Before we launched, they created an initial basic WordPress landing page I could direct users to for more information about what we had coming.

Once I decided on a direction, they refined the logo I picked and eliminated the other versions. We considered color schemes to go with it. After a few rounds of minor adjustments and modifications, we arrived at the final logo. The process ended smoothly; they provided me with a final product in a ZIP file. It included versions of the logo and artwork I would need in different situations, from white, black, and color to CMYK and Pantone.

Paul (Owner, RainCastle Communications, Inc.) was my point person. One of his designers worked on the actual designs under his direction. I also worked with the web director.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

I had worked with RainCastle Communications, Inc. previously in my corporate career. When I was the head of product development at an investment management company, I hired them for a large rebranding project. I reached out to them again when I started my own company.

I have invested around $15,000.

We worked together from September 2016–2017.

People make positive comments all the time about how much they love the logo RainCastle Communications, Inc. designed for us. As a fitness business, we feature it on cycling shorts, t-shirts, water bottles, and hats. Our project focused heavily on creating a logo with many different purposes in mind. The blue and green combination we selected looks good in print, on literature, and on signage.

We’ve been able to do some really fun things with our logo. I’ve given the artwork to other designers for inspiration to put it onto a hoodie or different gear. It has worked fabulously elsewhere in my brand, the colors look great, and people love it.

The team is very skilled at project management. We didn’t have a set schedule for communication, but I had access to the team whenever I needed their input, I was all over the place as a client, but they kept me on track with our timeline in a friendly way.

In the beginning, we drafted a letter of agreement to lay out the design process, including how many rounds there should be, the timeline, and the selection process. Documenting these guidelines ensured we didn’t have any unpleasant surprises later on.

I’ve had a standing relationship with RainCastle Communications, Inc. that’s lasted a decade, and they always keep moving ahead. They've never procrastinated or fallen behind.

When I first met them, they were doing some web design, some branding, and they kept up with the times, they know the latest and were able to give me great advice in setting up a temporary WordPress site, and what design was going to work. I have seen their business continue to evolve. RainCastle Communications, Inc. stays on the cutting edge of what the latest people are doing in the design space.

I can’t think of any areas to improve. I feel so lucky that they said yes to my smaller startup project because I’d had such a good experience working with them on the prior corporate engagement.

The owner is very hands-on. He also knows how to delegate tasks to his team while staying involved, even with a small project like mine. I love the design and aesthetic they produced, and I know I can always contact them when I need.

I encourage potential customers to hire them. They're a great company to infuse your brand with new designs or even help you figure out your brand, to begin with. They excel at capturing the words of your brand in visuals.  If you don’t have everything locked in already, they will help you better understand your brand and messaging.

Overall Score I don’t have anything bad to say about working with RainCastle Communications, Inc.
    They always meet deadlines and do a good job of keeping the client on track. They are very disciplined.
    They provide excellent value for money.
    They are incredibly meticulous and willing to go the extra round to improve the process and deliver the right product you need.
    I would refer them to anyone.

WordPress Web Redesign for Biotech Company

"They executed brilliantly, and I’ve been thrilled by the work they’ve done."

RainCastle Communications redesigned a WordPress website from scratch for a biotech company. They coordinated with a third-party photographer to help build a style that aligned better with a recent rebrand.

11- 50 Employees

Arlington, Massachusetts
CEO, Biotech Company

RainCastle Communications succeeds at listening to client concerns and delivering products that address those pain points. The team is capable of finding the appropriate methods to tell a story and reflect a brand. They work with a purpose and deliver reliable solutions.

I am the chairman and CEO of a biotech company.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications?

At the time of the engagement, our website was quite antiquated. We wanted to create a new website that included the new messaging and style of our rebrand efforts.

I’ve worked with RainCastle Communications in the past, so I was comfortable sharing our challenges and letting them demonstrate their creative skill. Together, we evaluated our existing website and discussed all of the pain points and inconsistencies with our positioning. Their team collected samples of other websites that featured elements that they thought would be useful for us. It was a quick exercise to determine what resonated the most with us.

Our preferences from that activity became the basis for RainCastle Communications to develop prototypes for our website. They presented us with three different design concepts. I could have picked any one of them because they all looked incredible and were better than what we had to start with. Once we made our decision, RainCastle Communications developed it further, and it’s been a matter of fine-tuning since then.

RainCastle Communications also suggested that we choose custom photography instead of stock photography for the website. I was reluctant because that can be an expensive proposition, but they were confident it would make a substantive difference. I selected one of their recommended firms, and we’ve used their photography on the website and in various locations around our office.

We worked with a team of about six people.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications?

I was familiar with their ability after working with them for a number of graphic design projects at my last company.

We worked together for several months in 2017.

Since the site’s launch, we’ve benefitted from greater social media engagement and increased readership of our online articles.

How did RainCastle Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent in every way. It was an iterative process, and we had several in-person and conference calls to coordinate the project. They did not start the project aimlessly. They started by listening and getting a sense of what we needed. They executed brilliantly, and I’ve been thrilled by the work they’ve done.

They made a concerted effort to understand our industry and our company so that they could learn how we wanted to position ourselves relative to others. They were capable of translating that into the visual execution across mediums. They found the right words to tell a story, and they got it right because they were paying attention.

I’d love if they offered other marketing services. I think they could be a very talented public relations firm as well.

It will pay dividends if you take the time in the beginning to share your insights and your challenges.

They met all deadlines despite delays from my team.
    They were among the lowest bidders, yet I think they delivered the best result we could have gotten.
    The develop high-quality materials.
    I have already recommended them.

WordPress Web Design & Development for University

"Everyone from the owner to the project manager to the UX designer to the writer internalized our core business."

Apr. - Dec. 2018

RainCastle designed and built a WordPress website to reflect new branding. They led user research sessions, hosted a photo shoot, and created animated videos, icons, graphics, and copy—among other services.

10,000 + Employees

Massachusetts
Director of Marketing, University

The site debuted to overwhelming praise from many stakeholders; the simple visuals appealed to viewers while sticking to brand guidelines. RainCastle’s flexibility, quick response times, and openness to feedback made for a smooth workflow. They went above and beyond to deliver quality work on time.

I’m the director of marketing at a small institute based within a university.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle?

Our previous website—built in Drupal—was about seven years old and was long overdue for a refresh. We had also just researched and developed new brand positioning that we wanted to implement on a new site. RainCastle helped us create a WordPress website to reflect our new branding.

We first performed user research and one-on-one user testing with RainCastle’s UX person. We tested concepts in the page flow, headlines, and the site’s functionality that their team developed. The results of this phase allowed us to move from wireframes to full page designs. RainCastle then helped us create the copy, graphics, and photography on those pages. The copy required several reviews and close collaboration with our product marketing team, as well as other groups within our organization.

I worked closely with Paul (Owner, RainCastle) to determine the best way to display photography on the homepage and subsequent pages. After we expressed our dissatisfaction with stock options, RainCastle helped us organize a photo shoot. Together, we selected the models and decided on the background’s appearance. Paul gave us the idea to use motion photography and give our photos a blurred effect. We loved this style; it lets us show people without specifically revealing their face or identity, and we can demonstrate that we work with clientele from around the world. The photo shoot yielded a high-quality photo library that we can use on the website and our other marketing materials.

RainCastle then built the WordPress website and the templates for each page using Stylus. We can add pages later as needed using these templates. Their SEO person worked with us to maximize our visibility for target keywords and search terms. They integrated SEO strategies into our copywriting as well. Once the copy design was finished, each page underwent UI/UX proofreading and rounds of testing. Some users were confused when they looked at specific pages, so we wanted to fix that.

We then performed final stage proofreading, testing each page and link and ensuring all content loaded. RainCastle loaded one type of each content piece, and we loaded all of the subsequent pages and content. During this stage, our team learned how each of the templates worked and could ask RainCastle questions. We also decided that we wanted animated videos as well, which RainCastle then did for us.

We worked with a variety of team members, including Paul, a UX specialist, and an SEO specialist.

How did you come to work with RainCastle?

We launched a request for proposal (RFP) and spoke to several vendors for a few hours each. We looked at their approach to our project and our team. RainCastle stood out from the competition; they showed diligence in how they researched our specific needs and offered creative ideas to meet our challenges.

We spent $200,000.

We worked together from April–December 2018.

We’ve received great reviews from clients and prospects. Users compliment the compelling yet straightforward visuals and headlines. Clients like the depth of content and research. It encourages them to interact with our site and invest in our services. Our sales team loves the fresh new look that is still compatible with our brand refresh.

Paul did an excellent job working with our creative director to fully understand our brand guidelines; there are areas where we have leeway and other areas where we do not. The site ultimately abided by our brand rules, which we were pleased to see.

We’re now working on lead generation program. Our general traffic has stayed the same, but we’ve seen an increase in the number of pages that viewers visit and the length of their visit time.

How did RainCastle perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager was keen to meet our original schedule, which we appreciated. However, we eventually found that timeline to be overaggressive and slowed it down. RainCastle helped us revise our project plan as needed. We sometimes had to rework our content and presentation to match our transitioning brand. They accommodated our changes with ease and kept us focused on getting the site done in a timely fashion.

RainCastle had a collaborative approach. They were highly responsive and frequently sought input from others to make sure they were meeting our needs outlined in the original UX testing. We had weekly check-in calls. At various stages of the project, we spoke 2–3 times a week.

RainCastle fully understood our market, our target audience, and how we wanted to frame our voice and position. Everyone from the owner to the project manager to the UX designer to the writer internalized our core business. Their work—particularly their iconography and photography—was fresh to us; it fits our new brand voice while aligning with our brand guidelines.

When RainCastle started designing our pages, the primary point person may have had some other projects going on and therefore didn’t finish work as quickly as we would’ve liked. This was only a matter of days, however. We were overall thrilled with their work.

Supply them with lots of background, information, and recent information. RainCastle will process it and come back to you with ideas that will definitely reflect what you’re looking for.

All schedule changes came from our end.
    Their creative work, concepts, designs, and writing were excellent. The build could’ve been better, but we’re still pleased with it.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Brand Identity and Website Design for Manufacturer

“RainCastle significantly helped the company establish brand unity and a strong image in the market.”

2016 - Aug. 2017

RainCastle provides branding services, from designing a website to other branding collateral as needed.

1,000 - 5,000 Employees

Bedford, Massachusetts
Barbara Russo
Senior Manager Corporate Communications, Novanta

RainCastle provides relatively affordable, high-quality branding design services that have helped the company unify its brands. Responsive, collaborative, and proactive in their approach to project management, they continue to be a great partner to work with.

I'm the senior manager of corporate communications for Novanta, which develops components and subsystems used for medical and industrial applications.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications, Inc?

We engaged RainCastle for branding help, including a redesign of our website.

RainCastle spent time with our new leadership team to learn about our unique challenges, and then started to develop our graphic identity from there. They created branding materials, including business cards, stationery, and trade show materials. They also redesigned our website from scratch.

We worked with a team of four to five people. Initially, we connected on a daily basis, but we now touch base every one to two weeks.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications, Inc?

I wasn't involved in the selection process because we were already working with them when I came onboard.

I don't know off the top of my head, but we've invested a considerable amount.

We've been working with them since 2016 and launched the new site in August 2017. They continue to work on small projects as needed.

RainCastle significantly helped the company establish brand unity and a strong image in the market.

How did RainCastle Communications, Inc perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been great about meeting deadlines and being responsive in communications.

Their design capabilities are very impressive. They've been a great partner, providing invaluable feedback and suggestions throughout the process.

They could be a little bit more flexible when it comes to letting the client evolve the brand identity as needed, but they generally understood our vision overall.

Be as clear as possible about project goals and the brand's vision, but also be open to RainCastle's suggestions.

They've hit most of our deadlines thus far.
    They offer a good value for the investment.
    They've provided high-quality design work.

WordPress Web Design for Biotech Company

"I have no qualms about recommending their services or engaging them in future projects."

Nov. - Dec. 2018

RainCastle designed and developed a WordPress site with an extremely tight turnaround. After scoping the project, they delivered products weekly. They also provided copyediting services and WordPress training.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Operations Manager, Biotech Firm

The team made the tight deadline and produced a clean and easy-to-use website. RainCastle managed a smooth and productive workflow by keeping in constant contact and responding quickly throughout the project. Their work exceeded expectations in quality, value, and timeliness.

I’m the operations manager for a small biotech startup. We’re developing molecules to treat neurodegeneration through specific pathways in cellular clearance and healthy cells.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle?

As an early-stage startup, we wanted to create a web presence to build legitimacy and excitement around our business. We engaged RainCastle to design and develop a WordPress website within an extremely tight timeline.

In our initial kick-off meeting, Jill (Director of Client Strategy, RainCastle) introduced us to the team. We then discussed our needs, vision, and desired content for the site. Thanks to their experience with creating websites for small biotech companies, they got exactly what we were looking for right away.

After that meeting, RainCastle began working right away. For each stage, the team provided design options and asked for feedback. We could choose a complete option or a mixture of each option. Once we made a decision, they translated that into a deliverable that we then approved. They provided copyedited content and asked us to provide materials such as images for the site. We chose to use original imagery instead of stock photos.

Jill served as our project manager. We also worked with Donato (Senior Web Developer, RainCastle), Ji Lee (Senior Graphic Designer, RainCastle) and Garrett (Web Designer and Client Manager, Compete Now).

How did you come to work with RainCastle?

We looked at a variety of onshore vendors. My conversation with Paul (President and Creative Director, RainCastle) impressed me. RainCastle offered a quote on the lower end of other vendors’ offers. They also had experience working with companies like ours, which made it more likely that they would meet our tight timeline. We ultimately decided that they were the best match to meet our needs.

We spent $13,000.

We started working together in mid-November 2018. RainCastle finished the site by the end of December.

RainCastle did not promise to make our timeline, but they delivered on time, which deeply impressed us. After final checks, the site was launched in mid-January. Our board praised its clean design, and our team is happy with its usability and easily expandable functionality. RainCastle taught me how to use WordPress so I can make updates and edits as needed with little outside help.

How did RainCastle perform from a project management standpoint?

We interfaced weekly via phone calls and email to meet our timeline. Jill made sure both sides stayed on top of tasks from start to finish by creating hard deadlines. The team was highly responsive and diligent throughout the entire project.

RainCastle communicated well and often from start to finish. They acted like a partner in this project, which we appreciated.

Not that I can think of.

Hire them. Reach out to Jill or Paul; they’ll get back to you quickly with a proposal and a quote. I have no qualms about recommending their services or engaging them in future projects.

Overall Score The entire collaboration was effortless and painless from start to finish. I feel confident in my ability to manage the website going forward.
    RainCastle exceeded our deadline goals.
    They offered very competitive rates compared to other vendors that we considered.
    They delivered the level of quality I would expect in a project with a longer timeframe.
    I’ve referred their services to several companies that RainCastle has directed our way.

WordPress Web Redesign for Architecture Company

“They were transparent and easy to work with. Whenever I mentioned concerns, they addressed them immediately.”

Nov. 2017 - July 2018

RainCastle Communications, Inc. redesigned an old website and made it mobile friendly. They took the project from kickoff to final launch and also helped with branding.

1,000 - 5,000 Employees

Toledo, Ohio
Marketing Manager, Architecture Firm

Throughout the entire project, RainCastle Communications, Inc. stayed on track and required minimal oversight. They accommodated an adjusted timeline and made a final product that both stakeholders and users love.

I’m the manager of marketing and communications at an architecture engineering and construction management firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

Our old site was outdated and not mobile friendly, so we needed a partner to redesign it.

After hiring RainCastle Communications, Inc., we had a kickoff meeting with the project stakeholders including members of executive management and our marketing team to get everyone on the same page. They facilitated the session and asked thorough questions to understand our business and determine the best new design for our WordPress site. From there, they handled concept development, design, development, reviewing, testing, and the final launch.

They also designed new templates for our proposal materials and helped with branding support.

They also built new templates and helped with branding support. They created new designs for proposals and project profiles that we use regularly for marketing.

We had contact with about five people: the president, VP of Interactive Technology, a graphic designer, web developer, and an account manager.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications, Inc.?

We met them at a conference and used them on a small project. That went well, so we contacted them again when this project started. We evaluated a few different vendors but ultimately selected RainCastle Communications, Inc.

We worked together from November 2016–July 2018.

We’ve received comments from internal stakeholders and clients who are impressed with the upgraded final product. It’s more user-friendly and meets all of our expectations.

They initiated most of the conversations and made sure we kept on track. If there were delays, they mostly came from our end during the review process with a number of stakeholders. They delivered on time and had open communication.

They were transparent and easy to work with. Whenever I mentioned concerns, they addressed them immediately. Near the end, we had to speed up the project, and they were more than willing to accommodate.

We could’ve been better at scheduling regular check-ins.

We initially met them in person, and that helped us start the relationship off well. If possible, meet face-to-face at the onset of the project.

Overall Score We had a positive experience and good relationship. We needed some heavy support, and they delivered.
    They had a good internal schedule, but we could’ve been more in sync.
    They were in line with other vendors.
    Everything was high quality and delivered on time.
    I'd recommend them to somebody looking to redesign a website.

Branding, Web Design & Marketing for Malware Company

"They exceeded our expectations in how they strategized, designed, and implemented each stage of our project."

Feb. - June 2018

RainCastle Communications developed a WordPress website and coordinated a series of branding projects and an SEO campaign. Deliverables included updated trade show graphics and various templates and materials.

11- 50 Employees

Tyler Borosavage
Digital Marketing Manager, VMRay

Equipped with an attentive, versatile, and organized team, RainCastle Communications delivered impressive service and engaging products. They strive to understand the goals and appropriate audiences. The branding efforts increased visibility, and the website experienced more organic traffic.

I am the Digital Marketing Manager for VMRay. We are a cybersecurity company and a malware sandbox.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle Communications?

Our initial scope involved website development, but we later added additional branding projects.

RainCastle Communications held calls with our founders and our stakeholders on the sales and marketing sides to better determine our message and target audience. The website development included building a WordPress site with a more modern design and a new tagline, which has made us stand out and give customers a better sense of what we do.

They coordinated our branding projects in parallel with the website development. These tasks included social media content, graphics, email templates, data sheets, and white paper templates. Further, they slightly enhanced our SEO efforts, which we continue to utilize.

Our team consisted of the founder and creative director, Paul; the director of client strategy, Jill; and a copywriter, Andy. They had a development team as well.

How did you come to work with RainCastle Communications?

A colleague of mine referred RainCastle Communications to me. We had an incumbent vendor at the time, and we sent an RFP to RainCastle and a number of other firms. RainCastle was the most attentive of them all. They called twice to get more clarity and understand who we are targeting and what we’re trying to accomplish.

The project finished around $42,000.

We worked together from February until June 2018.

Among the many changes, we now have a tab more prominently displayed on our site for visitors to request a trial, and since our launch, we have seen a steady increase in the number of customers taking that option. We’ve seen about a 15% increase in our organic search, as well.

As for the branding, our materials and graphics mirror the content available on our site, which has increased our visibility and engagement at trade shows.

How did RainCastle Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very organized. They kept everybody on track and provided revisions in a timely manner. They are flexible, and we appreciate them for driving this project forward.

We didn’t want to piece together several vendors to each focus on one aspect. We were looking for a do-it-all agency, and that’s what we found. We quickly built a healthy working relationship. They exceeded our expectations in how they strategized, designed, and implemented each stage of our project.

There are inherent challenges with any development project, so it’s best to be flexible and keep the lines of communication open.

Overall Score We’re continuing to work with them on future branding projects.
    They are flexible to our schedule and the resources we could allocate to this project.
    Everything they delivered is high-quality. You get exactly what you pay for.
    We’ve received incredible feedback on the website and trade show graphics. We received everything we wanted.
    They are invested in what we are trying to accomplish.

WordPress Design & Integration for Golf Organization

"They stood out because of the solutions they devised for unique problems."

Aug. 2017 - Jan. 2018

RainCastle designed and developed a WordPress website, then integrated it with an existing CMS. They also created an overlay page for a login portal and performed site architecture and SEO analysis.

Norton, Massachusetts
Becky Blaeser
Director of Communications, MassGolf

The website presented no technical issues and received enthusiastic feedback from members and industry sponsors. RainCastle collaborated effectively with another design team and unified several complex platforms under one seamless aesthetic. Their helpful, creative approach saved time and money.

Mass Golf, which is technically known as Women’s Golf Association Massachusetts, is a 501(c)(3) organization focused on supporting amateur golf through handicap computation services, event organization, and overall services for member clubs and individual golfers in Massachusetts. I am the director of communication for the organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with RainCastle?

We were undergoing a complete website redesign. We wanted to create a more user-friendly version of a very complex site.

RainCastle redesigned our website and integrated its backend CMS. They had also created our first website, which used HTML.

We worked with another company for the rebranding effort. The company we’ve used for the rebranding has more experience in the golfing industry. We went to them because we needed to finish the site on an aggressive timeline. We connected RainCastle with that team to ensure that they would be comfortable working together. This was an essential consideration for the project.

The next step was involving RainCastle in the rebranding process. They were not responsible for the logo creation and other branding activities, but they participated in all our calls and provided insights into our brand positioning and design elements. The rebranding agency came up with a logo suite and style guide. Based on those, RainCastle quickly came up with website design concepts for us to review. Once we decided on a specific design, they built our WordPress platform.

We also went through a website architecture review process. They outlined all the variations for our site’s pages, and came up with unique solutions for our problems. One of those was managing a huge volume of archived data from the previous site.

They also came up with a solution for our backend member login portal, which is managed by another company. Their work elevated the aesthetic of that website, which had been quite poor before. A data management company is not a design company, so their product was not very appealing. RainCastle created an overlay page for that company’s system. They came up with the design and functionalities of that page, and integrated it into a subdomain to eliminate any technical issues. Now users don’t realize that they’re going from one website to another.

We have a “Find a Club” link that takes users out of our main mask-all server and into a subdomain run by a third party. RainCastle designed all those pages and gave the partner company everything they needed.

They also designed an icon section for registered members, which replaced the previous text version. RainCastle invented an extensive suite of unique icons for all layers of data provided by our organization.

We did not request advertising services from them, but we did ask for a complete SEO analysis. We had never done that before, so their team educated us. Given the old-school nature of our site, we hadn't used SEO for many years. They emphasized the importance of SEO, explained why and how we should implement it, and created a sitemap. We analyzed that document page by page and added the suggestions to the site.

They also worked on the redirect links from our old site, making sure that there wouldn’t be any dead links.

RainCastle did work on our “Brand Story” page. We had an idea of how we wanted it to look, but they helped us integrate a video and generally make it more interactive.

I’ve worked with RainCastle’s vice president and their owner for many years. Both were present for every call we’ve had from the start of the project. John was in charge of helping with site architecture and backend solution, while Paul was involved with the branding and overall design layout.

Once we got into the development phase, I worked closely with their senior web developer from November until launch. I also worked with two SEO specialists from their team.

How did you come to work with RainCastle?

We had an existing relationship with them, which was a key factor in the decision. We didn’t want that to be the only reason for our choice, so we went through an extensive vetting process. Our original goal was to find one company for the rebranding and website development, as that seemed most efficient. However, RainCastle convinced us that they would have no problem working with another company. They had a good history of working with other groups bring projects together. They were willing to serve as project managers and alter their original proposal. That, along with their proposed solutions for our technology platforms, set them apart.

They also had a good knowledge of how we operate. John has taken a lot of interest over the years in learning what our business is all about. The fact that he could hit the ground running and understand our method of working with golf clubs and individual golfers—along with the structure of our backend data—was a huge benefit.

We looked at different companies, with the original goal of selecting a single partner. The rebranding company could have done the job of the web developer, but RainCastle established itself as our web development partner since they could work with another group and stick to an extremely aggressive timeline around the holiday season.

The cost of their work was $35,000.

The rebranding process started in May 2017, but we onboarded RainCastle in August and began development in November. The site was launched in January 2018.

We brought them in later because we first needed to come up with a new name, mission, and logo for our organization. We had to do a lot of work before RainCastle could start developing the site.

Anecdotally, the website has been well received. We’ve launched it successfully and there’ve been no issues or complaints. We have received outside compliments and calls from different organizations in and outside of our industry, congratulating us on producing such a great site and product. We are currently creating benchmark reports to track the website.

We attribute this to a combination of the new brand and website. Its user experience is completely seamless. Our golf clubs are thrilled with the new visual benefits of the site. We will be tracking traffic to the site, but the overall response—among everyone from our board of directors to individual golfers and sponsors—has been overwhelmingly positive.

Even though they weren’t contracted for our rebranding, RainCastle was hugely helpful throughout the process. Their solution saved us countless hours of data input during the migration from a static website to a CMS.

Our member login page is currently hosted on a subdomain run and managed by a third party. RainCastle developed it to solve our previous browser and cache issues. They created a frame with CSS files for the other company to use and place on our subdomain.

The design style, icons, and colors match each other fully on our member page. The experience is truly seamless. It’s a more complex site than it immediately appears, but RainCastle gave its frontend a smooth and simple appearance.

The templates they created helped us save money and hone in on what we wanted to post on the site. Creating pages ourselves saved us money on web development. We have actually posted most of those pages. RainCastle reviewed our work and made sure that all the secondary pages we needed were in place.

How did RainCastle perform from a project management standpoint?

Our rebranding was necessary because of a merger, which was going to become legally official on January 1. We needed to have the site live and fully functional on that date. RainCastle delivered, despite getting some information from our end later than originally planned. We hit all our deadlines and they remained totally available, even during the holidays. We needed and appreciated that.

During the rebranding phase, we got in touch once or twice per week. Once we began website design and development, we spoke numerous times per week, including after work hours.

What they did in a short time was incredible. Much of that was attributable to RainCastle’s ability to come up with three design concepts that lined up with our thinking. Even though we made a lot of changes, we didn’t have to go back to the drawing board. Their knowledge and involvement sped up the development process and allowed us to keep to our timetable.

They delivered everything they said they would. I had a lot of pushback from my board, saying that they didn’t think that two companies could work together. RainCastle provided exceptional web development services while managing another company's team alongside their own.

They stood out because of the solutions they devised for unique problems. Not too many companies have the same technical setup as ours, so I was impressed with their ability to come up with solutions and work with other companies. RainCastle also had a good knowledge of our space and a willingness to learn more about it. They understood our audience and our goals.

They helped us in areas that they weren’t asked to focus on and told us when messages didn’t seem right from an outside perspective. This input was very helpful as we developed our new brand. I can’t imagine a company delivering as well as RainCastle on this type of project. For a client looking to work on multiple projects, their company is a good choice.

Everyone has different needs, so there aren’t any one-company-fits-all solutions, but I would definitely encourage anyone looking for a rebranding partner to listen to RainCastle. They should be allowed to provide solutions, or at least be in the consideration. They were the perfect fit for us, and I would imagine that would be the same for many other groups.

We made the conscious decision to have a very simple site for many years. RainCastle understood that we didn’t have a large budget. They came up with economical solutions that allowed us to keep the previous site running until the rebranding. I truly appreciated their ability to scale down their offer. Once we could invest in a new brand, they stepped up and delivered a tremendous product. That shows the scale of their offerings.

Overall Score They were tremendous.
    They had a point person for scheduling, who eliminated delays and maintained follow-ups.
    They were affordable, both given the scope of work and compared to the other vendors we considered.
    They delivered nearly everything we asked for.
    I would recommend them to any company, small or large, looking for any kind of web development.