The New Integrated

R2i is a national full-service digital agency with offices in Silicon Valley, Seattle, New York, St. Louis, and Baltimore/Washington, D.C. With diverse expertise and a hands-on approach, R2i guides companies through a complex marketing landscape and builds integrated solutions that accelerate success.

R2i’s unique alignment between marketing technology, brand expression, and demand generation is a transformative approach to marketing that results in compelling creative campaigns and digital experiences, and enables marketing leaders to focus on business success. Through core areas of discipline such as web development and marketing cloud technology, creative and interactive design, media, loyalty and retention, brand strategy, and content marketing, R2i has consistently delivered on the new promise of marketing integration today for its clients.

2003
    1910 1st Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98134
    206.420.1163

Digital Marketing Services Maryland Credit Union

“We feel extremely justified in the amount of resources we invest in their services. They add considerable value to our business."

R2integrated was contracted to build SECU’s various digital marketing solutions. Work included keyword research, content development, and SEO/PPC campaign configuration and execution.

Linthicum, MD
Digital Marketing Manager, SECU

The client has seen a significant increase in social likes and followers, leads, and conversions. R2integrated also developed a formal reporting mechanism that allowed SECU to better track progress. Overall, the client considers them a valuable resource with expert knowledge across many marketing topics.

Could you briefly describe your company?

We're a financial institution, specifically, a credit union. We provide checking accounts, loan products, and financial services.

I'm the digital marketing manager.

Could you describe the business challenge(s) you were attempting to address when you initiated the relationship with R2integrated?

We were just beginning to develop a formal digital strategy to expand our digital footprint so that we can start to target a younger, more technically savvy demographic. We need these individuals to fill the pipeline in terms of future membership. That really includes all channels, but specifically we focused on social media, pay-per-click, and search engine optimization. Those are the main areas where we wanted to leverage their expertise, to build out our infrastructure.

Could you describe the scope of the project? For example, did it involve custom design, backend development, training, support, etc.?

Initially, it was setting up social recommendations for this channel and determining where we should concentrate our efforts. it then required aligning that basic structure with our content production calendar, and also devising a search marketing strategy that focused primarily on Google pay-per-click campaigns. They initiated the keyword research around various products that we identified. We would evaluate the landscape and then deploy our campaigns and track progress.

They’ve also done a lot in terms of developing actual social posts on Facebook and Twitter. They've helped lead that development in terms of what object is ours in terms of who we’re trying to target, what kind of information we want to convey, and how. But, in many cases, they’ve come up with creative in terms of posts or recommendations for content types, such as video or static visuals, interactive graphics, and so forth.

How did you select R2integrated as your solution partner?

We had someone on our team in marketing who already had a working relationship with R2I. He knew them quite well. We reached out to them, and we had an great initial discussion about our project goals and their capabilities. It was very comfortable from the get go, and they seemed to understand what we were trying to do.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative in monetary terms?

I’m going to say it was in the range of $50,000 to $100,000.

This is an ongoing relationship, correct?

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they've delivered?

It would be mostly anecdotal. They've been helping provide reports, and that is another deliverable they brought to the table by formal or regular reporting mechanism. Certainly, we’ve seen a significant increase in Facebook likes and Twitter followers, and then the content we've produced on those two channels have also gained considerable traction. We’ve seen good results in our various Google pay-per-click campaigns, too.

We’ve definitely gone from zero to where we are now. We’ve seen many conversions and a huge increase in leads. I can’t put a number to this. I don’t have any data in front of me. Whereas we weren’t doing search marketing before now, we're seeing across several different topics some considerable results in terms of click-throughs and actual conversions.

When working with R2integrated, is there anything you would consider unique or special about them compared to other vendors you’ve worked with?

We feel extremely justified in the amount of resources we invest in their services. They add considerable value to our business. Our account manager is always well informed on a vast array of topics. For example, we get SEO expertise. We get search marketing expertise. We get expertise with analytics and then also social. For the money, that might be one FTE [full-time employee]. We’re getting the expertise of five, six, or seven people, and maybe more.

In terms of constructive feedback, are there areas that you think they could improve upon, or are there things you'd do differently as the client before approaching this type of project?

As they develop content for us, particularly in social, to understand our tone and convey our messages in the manner that we would. I understand that’s difficult. They’re not within our culture. They’re not here day-to-day. It’s trying to speak on someone else’s behalf when you’re not immersed in that culture, and it's very challenging. I think they’ve improved over time, but it's the only thing I can think of that they might be able to improve.

Professional Trade Association Strategic Digital & Social Consulting

"They definitely have a unique approach in that they’re never sedentary. They’re extremely proactive and that's been invaluable to us."

Professionalism:

2009 - Ongoing

R2integated revamped the client’s digital and social marketing operations to increase user acquisition, retention, and annual revenue targets.

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Director of Marketing Operations, Biotechnology Organization

The client’s PPC campaign grew tremendously and had a very high conversion rate. Organic traffic also spiked as a result of SEO efforts, with a 50 percent increase in site visitors during several key months. Based on analytics produced by R2i, the client was able to dramatically reduce the number of registration abandonment cases.

Could you briefly describe your company?

We are a trade organization that represents approximately 1100 biotech and pharmaceutical companies.

I’m the director of marketing operations for the conventions and conferences department.

What were your business goals for initiating the project initially with R2i?

As far as our relationship with R2i, they’ve largely been supporting one of our key revenue generators which known as the BIO International Convention. So R2i has been a partner with us at least the last three years, essentially supporting our digital strategy and our social strategy. They largely help us with attendee and exhibitor acquisition in addition to helping us drive other sources of revenue, including advertising different sponsorship opportunities.

We began with them in 2009 with benchmarking some of the platforms that we were weighing at that point. We had started a couple of platforms on a LinkedIn group and then a Facebook page. At that point I don’t even think we had a Twitter presence. They basically helped us map out our properties and made sure that we were following best practices.

How did you select R2i as your solution partner?

It was actually my former boss who was responsible for that process. She’s no longer here. I honestly I don’t remember. I assume that it was through professional reference. She was really active in networking events and things of that nature.

Could you describe the scope of the project in terms of components: did it include design, development, support, training, etc.?

As I mentioned, they helped us evaluate and then develop our digital real estates. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. were all a part of that. For our space, LinkedIn was crucial. They helped us map out the different personas using LinkedIn. They conducted the research in order to find out where we needed to fit in, either by leveraging groups that already existed or by recommending that we create a group that doesn’t exist. The pushed us to be more consistent with our content development and to be more selective with our channels.

I’ve worked with a number of digital vendors and I would say that they’re by far the best when it comes to being proactive and really utilizing all of the leading strategies. It’s not me asking or telling them things. It’s really them coming to us with the solution and mapping it out for us. That’s not something I’ve always seen with some of the different web partners we’ve had.

Could you give me a sense of the size of the initiative either in monetary terms or the number of personnel that were delegated to the project on R2i side?

Again, I think it’s grown over the years and even this year -- I would say it’s grown probably 20 percent each year. Right now, I think we have at least five or six full time, not full time, but consultants that I consider leads within their respective areas, whether it’s user experience designs, web analytics experts, digital strategists, etc.

I’ve had several conversations with our project manager where she said, “Hey, I pulled in this team member and these kind of experts.” It really feels like they have the brainpower in-house. They don’t outsource anything. I would say between five and eight of their key consultants have been on our account. They always turn things around really quickly. They’re really good about mapping out and managing our expectations as far as time lines and minor objectives.

I also like the way that they structure contracts. Again, I have a few, probably upwards of ten contracts with different vendors. And they don’t nickel and dime me when it comes down to it. You really map out the expectations and the goals of the different campaigns. And essentially, I think within reason, obviously, pending no major disasters, they just go above and beyond to get it done.

I realize your relationship and this initiative is ongoing, but when were the primary components of the project completed?

It would have been the fall of 2009.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics or metrics that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work that they’ve delivered?

First of all, I think it was our pay per click campaign. It grew tremendously. They showed some serious conversion.

One of the key projects where they helped us with benchmarking involved people abandoning the registration process. They implemented Google analytics and helped us create awareness around the registration process. Once they implemented it and we began generating reports, we realized we had to change the whole process. I don’t know the exact percentage, but after restructuring we were able to dramatically reduce the number of registration abandonment.

As far as conversions, they helped us measure the effectiveness of our branded versus non-branded keywords. This increased the ROI of our pay per click campaigns and the organic traffic generated from our SEO tactics. We had an increase of more than 50 percent during our four key months last year. I think it was January through early spring. They equated it to roughly 50 new registrations per unit. That’s actually a really good number for us, because our database is approximately 100,000. Finding new people is critical to us.

When working with R2i, is there anything you would consider unique or special about them as compared to some of their competitors that you might have worked with?

They definitely have a unique approach in that they’re never sedentary. They’re extremely proactive. I honestly think they’re constantly sharing what they’re learning out in the industry. I can definitely tell that they have the latest information in front of them. There’s really young, dynamic people working on the projects. One of the things I really, really like is that anytime that they present me with a concept or an idea, or any sort of presentation, you can tell it’s been vetted internally. It’s something that you could essentially take for granted, but I really don’t. It’s always a very client-ready product. Even if it’s just in its design phase, they’ve definitely already thought through things on our behalf without us necessarily having to ask for it.

As far as understanding our brand and generally what our goals are, they’re definitely right in step with us. Even though they only have a piece of the pie, they’re definitely in step with us. That’s a key aspect.

In retrospect, are there any areas that you feel R2i could improve upon or that you might do differently as a hiring client before approaching this type of project?

No, I think that they could cover all the bases as far as doing competitive analysis, understanding where you are in the space, looking at who your competitors are, and looking at all the different variables. To be honest, no, I wouldn’t really say that I have any shortcomings with them.

Absolutely.

For-Profit University Market Research & Strategy

"I think they’re very, very thoughtful. They’re methodical and that makes them highly effective."

Professionalism:

July 2012 - Ongoing

R2integrated devised a marketing strategy to help the client understand the audience sentiment across their brands and better address consumer needs.

Mid-market

Irvine, CA
Vice President of Marketing

The client’s ACC brand went from a 50 percent negative audience sentiment to a 75 percent neutral. Monthly reports demonstrate progress across the board and the improved outreach strategy has helped shift the client’s reputation to a positive one. The client is very happy with R2i’s strategy and methodology.

Could you briefly describe your company?

We are a for profit education company with three independent brands. All we do is health care education. That is a unique place to be in our particular space. We offer everything from diploma programs and massage therapy to medical assistance and doctoral level degrees.

What is your position in your company?

I’m the vice president of marketing and I oversee all three brands.

What were your company’s business goals for initiating the project with R2integrated?

When we first started working with them, we did not have a proactive social media strategy. What we wanted first was to find a partner to conduct a piece of research for us. They did a comprehensive review of our web presence. We wanted to know what people were saying about us before we attempted to change or start a new conversation.

We really started with them on a benchmarking initiative. We needed to know what our audience sentiment was for our different brands and then develop content strategy to address those issues.

How did you select R2integrated as your solution partner?

We began an RFP process to look for a partner. We conducted interviews and looked at proposals from several different organizations. We just preferred R2i’s methodology.

We used R2i for the initial research piece, benchmarking the audience sentiment, and strategy development. They also do some content development for us. I have not ever used their actual creative services, but we are in the middle of a project with them right now where we are looking at using them for creative email development.

What parts of the project were you involved with?

I have an employee who’s our director of our web strategies. He was also involved in the R2i process. I would say, really, it’s two people that work with them daily on the audience sentiment measurement. At some point in time, R2i has interacted with everybody on my team. We have a total of nine people in marketing.

Could you give me a sense of the size of the initiative in either monetary terms or in the number of personnel delegated to the project?

From the R2i side, we’ve had two consultants with us on a regular basis. For the initial project, they did have a team of I believe five or six people. The strategic development stage also involved some five or six consultants.

In monetary terms it was $15,000 or $20,000 for the initial research and strategy development. On an ongoing basis with them, we are spending about $8,000 a month for the ongoing listing and content development.

When was the initial project completed?

It started in July of 2012, so it would have been August or September. The research piece was a six-week project.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to share that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

Yes, when we began benchmarking our brands varied dramatically in terms of reputation. Our brand ACC had roughly 50 percent negative audience sentiment. WC had nearly 35 percent negative audience sentiment. Today, ACC is about 75 percent neutral, which is a huge shift.

We take their listing studies that they do for us on daily basis and aggregate it into a monthly report where we measure the percentage of audience sentiment. We’ve been able to chart, over the past year, how much we’ve been improving.

I’ve been in the organization about 18 months. When I first arrived, the social media strategy here was essentially nonexistent. It was very reactive. It was not proactive at all. We were really not taking advantage of the number of happy students that we have. We have a tremendously happy student body. And it was a real sore spot with the owner of the organization.

With these daily reports and our improved outreach strategy, we’ve been able to do a complete about-face. Great commentary is viral if its channeled and facilitated correctly.

How would you think R2integrated performed on this particular project with you?

I have been extremely happy with them. I have been thoroughly impressed with their strategy and their methodology. It is hard to find organizations that truly do think and act integrated, and I know that sounds a little bit corny, because it’s in their name. They really take a holistic approach to problem solving, based entirely on the business circumstances and goals of their clients.

Aside from what you’ve already mentioned, is there anything that you would consider unique or special with R2integerated compared to some of the other partners that you may have worked with in the past?

I would say that it’s more about the people there. I think they have staff that is very smart. I think they’re very, very thoughtful. They’re methodical and that makes them highly effective.

In retrospect, are there any areas that you feel R2integrated could improve upon or that you might do differently as a client when approaching this type of project?

No. I’ve been really happy with the work that we’ve done with them. They’ve always delivered what I was looking for. Sometimes, when I didn’t know exactly what I was looking for, they were helpful in that way, too.

Overall Score I’m a big fan of R2i.
    They’ve always adhered to original estimates. The research was worth every penny. I would rate them a four for the ongoing monthly retainer-type charges.
    Yes, I would.