Let's Prosper.

Prospus is an American-owned technology firm specializing in web, mobile and product development, as well as devops and consulting. We excel in finding simple solutions to complex challenges.

Portland, OR
  • 308 SW 1st Ave, Suite 055
    Portland, OR 97204

Investible, MarineMax, GABA Inc, The Entropolis, Club Kidpreneur, National Automotive Experts, TraversTodd, BravoYourCity, VesselWise, AccelerateGlobal, Witchery, Nuttify, RepairReport, ER-Central

Touch Screen Development for Experiential Media Company

“We worked together to solve any issues we encountered.”

Aug. - Sept. 2018

Prospus developed a touchscreen interactive for tradeshows.  The frontend app runs locally on Windows tablet and connects to a cloud-based backend CMS. Users can rotate featured content post-production.

CEO, Experiential Marketing Company

Prospus delivered an interactive asset the client can use for marketing purposes at tradeshows. The app’s cloud-hosted backend CMS features customization options that are simple to use. The team rapidly responded to requests for materials and demonstrated a keep grasp of the goals.

I'm the head of a small experiential and interactive media development company. We develop interactive solutions for tradeshow marketing purposes.

What challenge were you trying to address with Prospus?

One of my clients needed an interactive touchscreen with an attached backend CMS that would enable them to swap out content in the system after it was deployed.

Prospus provided resources to develop the frontend software for the interactive component of our product. They also developed the backend. Our app runs locally on the Windows-based tablet and machine. It connects to a cloud-based content storage system. The nature of the build was similar to web development, so all of the features are attributable to website design and creation.

About 2–3 teammates from Prospus worked on our project.

How did you come to work with Prospus?

Prospus was referred to us through a mutual friend. We chose them over other providers we considered based on my positive impression of the owner. Since we don't have any in-house developers on staff, I almost always contract remote external teams to build our products.

In my experience, comfortable communication is more important than advanced technical capabilities. If I can’t oversee a team in person, it’s critical they know all our requirements. Prospus demonstrated a level of understanding I didn't see from other candidates.

We spent under $50,000.

We worked together from August–September 2018. The project lasted about 4–6 weeks in total.

I don't have any specific metrics to share at this time. Accounting for our requirements, Prospus designed the frontend of the system to make it easy for users to upload and download content. The way the app connects to a cloud-hosted backend CMS is a unique functionality.

The team was quick to send back materials I requested like quotes or hours during the early stages of our project. We worked together to solve any issues we encountered. Most challenges directly related to working with a remote, offshore team.

How did Prospus perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was average for the field. Some minor issues arose when Marc (President and Owner, Prospus) stepped out and passed off the project to a primarily offshore team. They were forthcoming about this handoff, so the team’s remote location aligned with my original expectations.

I felt like the project manager struggled to understand what I wanted to achieve. Since I’ve worked in this space for a long time, I quickly figured how to solve our communication problems. Even though it didn't end up being a problem, it required me to be highly specific and provide detailed notes. I didn't have the luxury of sending a high-level explanation and comfortably assuming they could fill in the blanks.

I can't think of anything specific that distinguishes them from all the other vendors I've worked with over the years. They were right at the top of the bell curve; neither exceptionally great nor noticeably poor. The specific struggles we experienced have happened with every other comparable team I've engaged.

The bidding process didn't go as well as I would have liked. Since I thought I’d planned accordingly, I was slightly confused about and contested late change requests I felt the bid should have accounted for. Whenever I budget a project, I include 15-20% of padding because most clients in my industry tend to make minor requests like color changes during the last few weeks of development.

Secondly, I didn't feel like I was getting feedback regularly. I prefer to be closely involved and wanted more insight regardless of the product's state. Their method is to show clients the final version. Neither way is right or wrong. I understand the pushback since some clients might critique aspects that aren't done yet, but I've done enough development projects that I can distinguish mistakes and unfinished work. Having a less experienced producer than I'm used to may have created some friction. I felt concerned early on when I didn't get progress updates for a week.

In the end, we straightened everything out. My concerns came from working on our first project together. I now have more confidence in the team and am aware of their strengths.

Future clients should provide highly specific requirements, which is advice that applies to projects with any external team. Being upfront about the bid will help both your teams address any contingencies that occur.

I would recommend them to more seasoned clients.

iOS App Dev for Entrepreneurship Company

"Though they're small, they have the professionalism of a much bigger company without the red tape or cost."

Mar. - Oct. 2014

Prospus developed an app for launch. The product they created includes multiple tools that function individually within the app.

Australia
Creel Price
CEO, Investible

The app Prospus built was delivered on time and within the established budget. Their organization and communication skills were valued, as were the timely progress reports.

I’m the founder and CEO of Decisionship, an IP provider for early-stage investors. I’m also the founder and CEO of Investible Pty Ltd, an early-stage investor, and entrepreneurial development provider.

For what projects/services did your company hire Prospus?

We needed to develop an app to support the system that would eventually replace our program. We had a mobile app that would allow founders to understand their business and their motivations. We needed the app to have multiple programs within it.

We wanted the app to be launched and be used by founders to log their decisions and increase their understanding of their own companies.

We did a comprehensive search on Elance, now known as Upwork. Our search process included a request for tender (RFP), interviews, and then proposals regarding the scope of the work.

They developed the app for launch. It included 12 complex tools that functioned as apps within the app itself.

Prospus provided an account manager, a tech lead, and up to 20 developers at any time. We used our own project lead, our trainers, and myself as a project sponsor.

They delivered the project on time and within our budget. Users provided positive feedback.

They managed the timesheets, suggestions, and future scope work, which we found impressive. They kept us completely up to date with progress reports.

Their organization and communication skills surprised us, as we had different experiences with outsourcing projects before. Though they're small, they have the professionalism of a much bigger company without the red tape or cost.

This was the best part of dealing with Prospus - they went over and above to meet deadlines.
    It came in under budget. Though not the most affordable, but also they employ quality developers.
    Our users gave us good feedback.
    We've already done this many times.

Native App Dev for Marine Vessels Management Platform

"They were there for me and held my hand throughout the process, as this was a new world for me."

Dec. 2014 - Apr. 2016

Prospus developed native iOS and Android apps and a web-app. The web-app automatically updates to reflect language and media uploaded by users of the mobile apps, which are available for iPhone and iPad.

Miami, Florida
Brandon Rundquist
Co-Founder, VesselWise

from quality development work, Prospus made valuable marketing contributions by identifying sales angles and determining customer needs. They communicated consistently, excelled at distilling ideas into their purest forms, and can be relied on to keep projects moving in the right direction.

I’m one of the co-founders of VesselWise. We offer an app that lets people document, organize, and share information regarding necessary repairs to their boats. Users can take a picture of the damage, write a quick description, select the type of work they need done—carpentry, electrical, plumbing, fiberglass—and send it out to whoever accepts or rejects warranty claims. All the necessary information is now organized for whoever makes that decision, who can then close out the work and manage payments. The app makes everyone the surveyor of their own boat.

What challenge were you trying to address with Prospus?

I needed someone to develop my company’s app. Not only that, but I’d never done anything with building software before, so I needed someone to tell me what I was getting into, in terms of building a company, feasibility, and costs.

Initially, the app was focused on what I saw as the immediate needs (surveying on yachts), but, as we were developing the software, I realized that it could be adapted to fit any manufacturing process, like home or building construction, so we went with a broader, general foundation, one that wasn’t trapped within the yachting industry.

They built native apps for iOS and Android and a web-based application with which all the apps would synchronize and communicate. The office-bound people use the web-based app and see changes live, as they’re happening. Each case has its own chat feature, so if people need more pictures or further descriptions it can be done quickly through the apps. Yacht management companies have to do regular checklist inspections and communicate the results to the owners so the app sorts problems by priority. You can then filter through the problems easily and focus on what needs to be fixed right away.

I gave them my 100 pages of descriptions of functionalities in the beginning and they suggested that I pare it down and identify my top priorities for a minimum viable product (MVP). We started with the iPhone app and then pulled it over to iPad, before doing Android. However, we returned to the iOS focus quickly because we didn’t want to create duplicate problems on each platform. Once we got further along the iOS path, we continued on with Android.

We realized, after putting it in everyone’s hands, that we need to simplify it even more. Instead of removing features, we created a toggle button that allowed users to switch between basic and advanced mode. This way, they wouldn’t be distracted thinking that they had to use all of the advanced features.

We had 25 people at the largest moment, and their senior project coordinator was my main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Prospus?

They were recommended to me.

We spent $750,000.

We worked together from December 2014 until April 2016.

Surprisingly, I got good feedback right away and the largest boat retailer in the world agreed to let us launch the app in five of their U.S. stores. Immediately after that, yacht management companies became very interested.

The hardest part is getting people to change their software habits—what they're using—even if you have a better solution. Some people are only comfortable with email and just don't want to touch a mobile application. This wasn’t a $10 application either; people were paying thousands of dollars for subscriptions so we had to convince them that it was worthwhile. That’s where Prospus, and especially their owner, came in.

When it came time to deal with potential clients, the owner helped me through the process and taught me to analyze their needs, so as to better direct my focus. He knew the right questions to ask and the common elements across manufacturing processes that we could highlight to make people think the app was worthwhile to download, use, and pay for. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, in terms of forming a company around my software, but they helped extract the ideas out of my mind and turn them into something people wanted.

How did Prospus perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always there I when needed them and they always answered the phone, no matter the time of day, which I was concerned about due to the time difference. They communicated functionality outlines over Skype and Google Docs constantly so I was never sitting around and waiting for them to respond. In fact, I was a little overwhelmed by how much they were communicating and updating.

I was full of big ideas in the beginning and they helped me pare them down and organize my mind. They taught me how to talk to other people enough that they’re interested, but not say too much.

I’m a detail-oriented person but Prospus kept me focused on getting the apps working and into people’s hands. They didn’t let me get distracted by the small details. It was extremely helpful to have the owner there to be an intermediary or liaison. If I came to a point where I couldn’t communicate what I wanted properly, he would step in and guide the situation back on track, in the direction it should be going. Our point of contact was also fantastic, both at communicating my ideas to her team and always being available.

Another one of their strengths is the affordability of being based in India. Some people I’ve talked to who have had communication issues with companies in India, whether it be language or cultural barriers, but that wasn’t the case for us.

I can't give them any complaints. They were there for me and held my hand throughout the process, as this was a new world for me.

If they’d known sooner how big my ideas were and taught me to think smaller, that would’ve helped us deliver faster, but I can’t blame them for that. That was me wanting to build an enormous suite of tools and functionalities. They helped me scale back and focus on the MVP quickly.

Overall Score I’m very happy.
    They have good labor rates.
    I already have.

Web Dev for EdTech Company

“They provide support above and beyond what’s required, helping us make good technology decisions.”

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

Prospus built a customized platform, working on all of the new iterations too. They currently maintain the site and will oversee an upcoming update within the next year.

Sydney, Australia
Tania Price
CEO, Entropolis

Unlike the previous provider, Prospus is responsive and quickly solves any problems. They developed a detailed plan for the project and adjust to any necessary changes. Their reliability and dedication make them a great partner.

I’m the founder and CEO of Entropolis, an entrepreneurship education platform for 8–18-year-olds. It’s an online program that creates a digital community for young people.

What challenge were you trying to address with Prospus?

We needed to build and maintain a large custom platform.

Prospus built all of the versions of our Entropolis platform. We started with a slightly different purpose back in 2014, and we’ve since changed and gone through a number of iterations. Prospus initially started with frontend and backend work, and now they’re completely in charge of our builds. I provide them with all the requirements, and they do the coding, architecture, and maintenance. The site is a custom PHP build with a few subdomains on WordPress. We’re planning on a significant upgrade within the next 12 months.

I work directly with the owner and a project manager, and they have a team of about 10 developers.

How did you come to work with Prospus?

I put out a brief and had a few high-tech partners submit proposals. We interviewed a couple of them and were most impressed by Prospus. They were responsive and provided clear guidance on how they’d help us reach our goals.

We’ve spent over $600,000 in the past four years.

We’ve been partners since 2014, and the work is ongoing.

The website works and looks good; we’ve received great feedback, but it has few bugs. Prospus quickly solves any problems, which makes us and our clients happy. They’re so efficient that we don’t want an in-house dev team.

How did Prospus perform from a project management standpoint?

Our previous team wasn’t responsive, but Prospus is the exact opposite. They create detailed plans and maintain open and daily communication, often over Skype. The project manager is professional and organized, almost always achieving our desired outcome. They’re flexible and keep us up to date on project progress. They provide sufficient documentation and adjust to our needs and concerns.

It’s rare that an agency like ours would retain a client for four years, so that speaks to their professionalism. They provide support above and beyond what’s required, helping us make good technology decisions.

We had some concerns with their responsiveness at the beginning of our partnership, but they quickly addressed those issues. I don’t have any other complaints or criticisms.

Overall Score They're great, and I'm not the easiest client to work with.
    It depends on what the colleague would want.

Web App Dev for Boat Dealership

“Meeting their clients' needs is their top priority.”

Mar. 2016 - May 2017

After helping create the wireframes and the design, Prospus developed a responsive web application and a mobile app.

1,001 - 5,000 Employees

Clearwater, Florida
Former Consultant, Boat Dealership

The internal team is happy with the quality of the product and the customer service. Knowledgeable and professional, Prospus brought valuable ideas to the table, while their flexibility and responsiveness to feedback made them a reliable partner.

When I worked with Prospus, I was a consultant at a Boat Dealership.

What challenge were you trying to address with Prospus?

We wanted to build a responsive and innovative web application, so we were looking for a company to help us.

They helped our VP of IT with budgeting and made recommendations on how to set up infrastructure internally. Then, they developed a web application and a mobile application for us. It was a very collaborative process, and they helped us with the wireframes and the design.

We worked with Marc (CEO, Prospus), who had a team underneath him.

How did you come to work with them?

I joined the company after the relationship had already started.

We spent around $500,000.

We worked with them between March 2016–May 2017.

Our customers started using web and mobile applications instead of signing physical paperwork, which sped up the process. Prospus has a lot of expertise in development and architectural design, so they delivered a high-quality product.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

I was the project manager, so I worked closely with them every step of the way. They're an offshore team, but we never had any issues. We mostly used phone and email to communicate.

They're very knowledgeable and responsive to our feedback. Meeting their clients' needs is their top priority.

They want to please their customer, so their scope sometimes changes. However, allowing the scope to change too much can impact the timelines, so it might be better to hold the client to the original scope.

I've already referred them.

Web App Dev for Education Management Company

"Our students say the system is very useful for learning vocabulary."

2014 - Ongoing

Prospus developed, designed, and built a custom web app that features a flashcard-based vocabulary learning system.

501 - 1,000 Employees

Tokyo, Japan
Neil Stead
Academic Development Manager, Gaba Corporation

User feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. While there were some communication challenges, direct contact with—and work by—Prospus executives expedited completion and enhanced the project creatively. The team’s quality deliverables set them up for potential future engagement.

I’m an academic development manager for Gaba Corporation, which is an English school in Japan. With about 40 schools located in the major cities of Japan, we primarily serve business people and adults who want to learn English communication skills. My section is responsible for creating the curriculum and learning tools for one-on-one lessons as well as online study-at-home.

What challenge were you trying to address with Prospus?

We’re in the process of revamping our study-at-home content, which previously consisted of quiz questions and audio dialogue. We wanted to introduce a flashcard-based vocabulary learning system that would be available to students on the client website. We needed a technology partner to build that system.

Prospus started by assigning a project lead to work with us to define the requirements. Next they decided what the system was going to look like. Once they completed that stage, they began development. While we want to have both an online system and smartphone applications, we decided to start with the web app.

The system allows students to manually enter new vocabulary terms, as well as import lists from their textbooks. There’s a calendar function that presents specific vocabulary terms to students in advance of key dates, such as an exam. Once each vocabulary term is presented, the student selects a definition. Depending on whether or not they go the answer correct, the system determines if they need to study that term again. This is based on a learning technique called spaced repetition. If the student knows a term, that particular flashcard might not reappear for several weeks.

I work directly with Marc (President & Owner, Prospus). They had one engineer who was in direct communication with our IT team. Beyond that, I’m not sure how many engineers actually worked on our project.

How did you come to work with Prospus?

We explained the spaced repetition theory to a consultant we work with here in Japan. They introduced us to Prospus and recommended we work with them on developing the software.

We’ve spent around $300,000 total. The web app development cost over $200,000. Ongoing maintenance is about $100,000, plus $10,000 for server costs.

We started working together in 2014, and the web app was released in 2016. We had to put the smartphone app on hold because of resource issues. They continue to provide ongoing maintenance for the web app.

Our students say the system is very useful for learning vocabulary. The instructors particularly like that the system allows them to input the vocabulary for their next lesson. The students can add any new words to the interface and automatically create flashcards. They enjoy that functionality and find it extremely beneficial. Some students have had challenges understanding the interface. The fault is on our end for not doing enough to explain how to use the system. Prospus added the question mark icon to explain the site functionality in more detail.

How did Prospus perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is very good. One engineer from our IT team worked closely with them on scoping out the project. The Prospus team took the lead in creating the outline and defining the requirements. We created user cases so we could show them exactly what we wanted each function to do. We mainly communicate over Skype messenger, with occasional Skype calls.

Working with Mark has been a very positive experience. He’s very helpful, flexible, and understanding. When we had resource issues and had to put work on hold, he understood that they had to wait until we’re able to proceed. He’s also really good at coming up with solutions any time we had any challenges.

One area they could improve on is communication during the development phase. There was a language barrier between our Japan-based engineer and their engineer in India. However, Mark stepped in to help and managed to resolve the issue and get the project moving again.

They did a good job at scheduling.
    The costs are very good.

Web Development for Educational Language Platform

“Based on our positive experience, we would certainly do business with them again.”

Feb. 2012 - Sept. 2015

Prospus developed a website that provides digital learning resources for the English language. The platform includes thousands of texts at different levels and features that help users track their progress.

Japan
Rob Waring
President, EFLTechnologies

The website has nearly 100,000 users each year. Despite staff turnover and a few communication difficulties, Prospus managed a smooth workflow with a diligent approach to the project and a very organized documentation system. They understood the needs and met all expectations.

I’m the president of EFLTechnologies. Our company specializes in digital educational solutions to teach users the English language.

For what projects/services did your company hire Prospus?

We needed to develop our company’s website, er-central.com. The site needed reading and listening capabilities with a text analysis tool.

We wanted to build the initial proof of concept before we started to build a user base.

We first found them on Elance. In a preliminary discussion, the Prospus team gave me a very good idea of their capabilities. I was really impressed by the CEO’s honesty and integrity, so I decided to partner with them.

Prospus built a learning environment that supports thousands of English texts for reading and listening. The content ranges from high-level to beginner-level texts and students can find material that best matches their capabilities. Our system tracks each users progress and generates a downloadable spreadsheet as documentation. To enhance the educational experience, the platform also includes a level check feature, vocabulary games, a word management functionality, and progress notifications.

The CEO was interested in our project, so he initially led the team. Later in the project, he handed over the daily management responsibilities to an assistant, who managed a team of coders. I worked most closely with the assistant.

From mostly organic signups, the website attracts between 80,000–100,000 users per year without any additional promotional campaigns.

Generally, the workflow was very smooth. I was very appreciative of the CEO’s involvement in the design phases of the website. Over the course of the engagement, there was staff turnover, which caused occasional problems with continuity. I will say that I could’ve communicated better on my end, as well. Despite that, I was happy with their diligent work ethic and comprehensive record keeping methods.

Working with the CEO was fantastic. He was capable and understood our needs very well.

All companies have room for improvement, but based on our positive experience, we would certainly do business with them again.

Overall Score I was very pleased with their work.
    Generally, they were on time, but there were some problems with staff turnover.
    As their company grew, their pricing increased.
    Their work was good quality.
    I really trust the CEO.