People-focused brand experts.

Primer Grey is a full-service branding agency in Houston’s East End with a history of developing brand and web experiences for the public, private, and non-profit arenas in a consciously mixed set of industries. We are small on purpose; choosing to focus our team of brand, print and digital producers on the projects that we know can drive a mutually beneficial relationship between us, our clients, and the people and causes they serve.

Houston, TX
  • 2119 Dallas St., Unit C
    Houston, TX 77003

Eureka Heights Brew Co.  |  Frankel Building Group  |  Nexeo Solutions  |  AVEA Pools  |  Dynalloy Industries  |  Pathfinder Farrier  |  Callon Petroleum  |  Simmons Foundation

Branding and Website for Nutrition Company

“Primer Grey delivered a premium product.”

Dec. 2016 - Mar. 2017

Working collaboratively with an in-house team, Primer Grey designed a website, created a logo, and developed the look and feel of a new brand. They continue to maintain and upgrade the site.

Lisa Ferrara
Owner, Focused and Fit Nutrition

The website looks professional, and the feedback from both clients and industry leaders has been very positive. Primer Grey went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their ability to listen and provide valuable recommendations earned them trust.

I'm the owner of Focused and Fit Nutrition. We focus on one-on-one nutrition coaching and support.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

I was launching my business and needed to develop my brand identity. I was looking for a vendor to help me.

First, we discussed my vision and Primer Grey provided valuable feedback. Then, they helped me develop the look and feel of my brand. They created a logo, built my website, and designed my business cards. It was a collaborative process, and they made suggestions in terms of the tone and the approach that would help me connect with my market. They've also been very proactive about the updates for my website, letting me know about everything in advance so that I could budget for it.

I've worked with a designer and an account manager, but there were other team members working on my project.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

I worked with one of their partners previously.

We've spent between $10,000–$12,000.

We started working with them in December 2016, and the project finished in March 2017.

Primer Grey delivered a premium product. I don't have a physical office, so most of my interactions with my clients happen online. It's a very competitive space, so it's important for me to have a clean and polished brand. I got a lot of positive feedback on my website, not only from my clients, but from other people in the industry.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

The project went very smoothly, and they delivered everything on time. They were very realistic and let us know upfront how the holidays would affect our timeline, which helped us manage our expectations.

They spent an unusual amount of time upfront trying to understand my vision and what I was trying to accomplish in the market. During our first meeting, they asked me all kinds of questions that I hadn't even thought of, which made me rethink some aspects of my business plan.

We don’t have a contract right now, so they could be more proactive in selling their services. They definitely have the ideas that I can benefit from.

Go into the project with an open mind, but have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. They did an amazing job defining the scope of the project and staying within my budget.

They also did branding for my husband's business.

Reaffirmation of Brand for Oil Company

"They were there for us, and they communicated well whenever we needed something."

Jan. - Apr. 2017

Primer Grey provided brand refresh and design services, working on redeveloping a company’s logo. They conducted market research, helped build out the marketing strategy, and developed different logo options.

Investor Relations, Oil Company

The brand’s refresh produced excellent results, was well-received by the different offices who received the new logos, and provided a creative new look for the company to move forward with. The team was collaborative and communicated well, offering a tailored approach driven by the small team.

At the time of this project, I was on the investor relations team of my company. We’re an upstream oil and gas company based in Houston, with offices in Midland, Texas, and Natchez, Mississippi.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

Our logo had been the same for 70 years of our company’s existence, so we needed a complete reaffirmation of the brand. When we shifted to land drilling, we wanted to move away from our blue scheme, in order to change the perception. It was a matter of getting something consistent for all our offices, with something that was fresher for the younger workforce. We were also building all of our marketing materials.

We weren’t sure where we wanted to take our branding, but we knew we needed buy-ins from a lot of different people. We wanted to explore every option, so we started with our current logo. Primer Grey changed some colors and did a bit of a refresh—we went through 20 iterations, and finally decided that if we were going to transition our color scheme, we should do a complete refresh.

Primer Grey designed the logo we moved forward with. They did market research on our peers’ logos and had a strategy session with us, interviewing us about different logo options. They helped us build out our strategy and establish how to reach employees and the public with the changes.

Cliff (Co-Founder, Primer Grey) ran our meetings, and I interacted with him daily. I appreciated his working style as he checked in with us when we weren’t responsive. That was helpful to have in a larger corporate environment—he was there to carry things forward but was never too pushy. I also worked with a designer and one other team member.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

They rebranded a company that I’d worked for before.

The total cost was under $10,000.

We worked with them between January–April 2017. There was a time lag on our end, so we didn’t roll out the new branding straight away.

The biggest measure of success was the approval we received from our offices. They all have very different demographics and have spent varying times with the company. We received only positive feedback when we unveiled the new logo and discussed with people about why we did it. Everybody was excited about the fresh look, and they wanted all the promotional items to come out with the new logo.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very organized and detail-oriented. When I asked for something, they responded right away and were always open to making changes or tweaks to get the work exactly right. We went through a lot of iterations with the logo, and they did whatever we needed.

We had email and phone communication. Though we passed the original deadline, that was due to our side. The project management was pretty fluid as we had an existing relationship and knew how we worked. They were there for us, and they communicated well whenever we needed something.

The way they work makes sense, in that they’re a small team with a tailored approach. When we have requests, we have immediate communication around them, as well as if something will be late.

Primer Grey was also great at working with our leadership team—they ran meetings well and understood our business and the challenges of doing a rebranding. They were able to balance the marketing, creative side with the business side.

They’re spending a bit of time and effort marketing themselves, which is a good thing. However, I wanted them to help us write out our values and mission statement, and build out our career web page, but they didn’t convince the other people in my leadership team that they could take on such a big project. They were perceived more as the design people, rather than sharp and polished on the strategy and implementation of the rebrand. It’s a matter of positioning and communicating their abilities on Primer Grey’s side.

It’s important to loosen the reins and let them know what the ideas and end goal behind the refresh are. Allow the team to put the pieces together during the design, and then tweak them later. Letting the designers do their job can lead to more creative variations.

Naming and Brand Identity for Real Estate Development

"Primer Grey far exceeded our expectations. We now have a very recognizable name and logo."

Primer Grey led a naming exercise for a real estate firm. They also designed and iterated a new logo, as well as provided a website design.

Founding Partner, Ancorian

Internal and external response has been overwhelmingly positive. Despite delays not of their own making, Primer Grey kept the project moving through constant communication. Expertise and meticulousness justified the investment and made them a valuable partner.

I’m a partner at Ancorian, a mid-market real estate investment and development company.  We focus on urban redevelopment and mixed use projects, and have also done a number of industrial projects.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

We needed to come up with a name and logo for our firm that invoked specific feelings (e.g., steadfast, trustworthy, and experienced) but that also had a simple web domain available.

Primer Grey provided us several viable names for our firm, and we eventually selected Ancorian. Also, they provided us with several rounds of graphic design options for our logo. They presented different color schemes that they thought conveyed the feeling that we wanted in our logo. They also designed our first website.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

We met the Primer Grey team by chance when we leased the office next door to theirs. We chose them because we felt like their pricing was extremely fair and their portfolio of prior work was very impressive.

I don’t recall the exact amount. I know that we thought it was a great deal.

Work began in early 2016 and was completed in 3–4 months.

Primer Grey far exceeded our expectations. We now have a very recognizable name and logo in Houston. We consistently get compliments on the work that they did for us. Once we saw the results, we referred a ton of business their way.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team was great. It was our fault that the project wasn't done sooner. They turned things around quickly, but we were mired in acquisitions and weren’t as responsive as we could have been.

Primer Grey was incredibly receptive to feedback. The feedback was then accurately translated, and the work was augmented to address the feedback exactly as we intended.

I can almost always find something to critique, but can’t come up with anything related to this specific exercise.

If anything, they were always waiting on us.
    They didn’t charge more, despite us asking for additional iterations.
    We continue to be so happy with the work they did for us.
    We continue to recommend them to people.

Branding Support for Wellness Practice

"The website they developed for us was exactly what we wanted."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Helping a contemporary business build a brand, Primer Grey designed and developed a website and helped craft a message that conveys the uniqueness of the business.

Dr. Kelli Wright
Partner, Wellness Collaborative

The in-house team is impressed with the website and the feedback from customers has been very favorable. Primer Grey met all needs, while their expertise and ability to guide the process earned them trust.

I'm a partner at Wellness Collaborative.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

We were a new company and we needed a vendor to help us develop a brand.

We work with people who have mental health issues, but we do it in a very non-traditional way. We focus on nutrition, mindfulness, and exercises. We wanted our brand and message to clearly convey our approach. We also wanted our website to be contemporary and edgy. Primer Grey came over to our office and interviewed us to learn more about our needs and our business. Then, they developed a website for us and integrated it with PayPal.

We've worked with two members of their team.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

They were recommended to us by another vendor that we contacted. We liked Primer Grey's website and their office space, so we decided they'd be a good fit.

We've spent about $15,000.

We started working with them in April 2017, and the relationship is ongoing.

We like the look and feel of the website, and we’ve received positive feedback from our customers.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

We had phone meetings with them, and we emailed back and forth. They also came to our office when we just started working together.

They're much more contemporary and edgy than other companies we interviewed.

No, we've been very satisfied. They're a bit pricey, but it's worth it.

Follow their direction and trust their process. The website they developed for us was exactly what we wanted.

Branding, Naming and Logo Design for Martial Arts Studio

"Honest to goodness, there’s nothing negative I could say about the engagement."

Oct. 2016 - Dec. 2016

Primer Grey provided naming and branding services. Deliverables included logo and t-shirt designs.

Stacy Haywood
Partner, Ravlin Martial Arts

The branded designs received positive feedback for their visual appeal. Patient and focused, Primer Grey created value with diligent work, strong listening skills, and personable service. Notably, the team was open to feedback and stayed on budget throughout the engagement.

I co-founded Ravlin Martial Arts. We teach self-defense to children, teens, adults through Brazilian jujitsu and Thai kickboxing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

Our team needed the perfect name for our school. We wanted something creative that would distinguish us from other martial arts facilities. We hired Primer Grey to provide naming and branding services.

First, we sat down with Primer Grey to explain our business goals and objectives. The team listened to our ideas and came back with more questions. During this process, they helped us name the school by presenting a range of options. In addition, Primer Grey designed our logo, did branding, and helped us create t-shirts.

We primarily interacted with Cliff (Co-Founder, Primer Grey) and Henry (Designer, Primer Gay) in the beginning. A few other team members worked on our account.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

A friend referred Primer Grey after a successful partnership. During our first meeting, the team was professional, personable, and fun. We hit it off immediately.

We spent about $9,000.

We worked with them from October–December 2016.

The logo received positive feedback for its beautiful lettering. I sometimes wear the t-shirt in public and always get compliments for its amazing design.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an excellent job and were patient throughout the process. The team was always available to discuss any concerns we had. We communicated via email, phone, and in-person meetings.

The team was personable and made everything easy. They kept the process fun—absolutely no egos involved. Primer Grey was open to feedback, but professional when they disagreed with our thoughts.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Honest to goodness, there’s nothing negative I could say about the engagement. We weren’t the easiest client because we weren’t sure what we wanted at first. But Primer Grey stayed focused and got the job done.

If anything held up the process, that was on our end.
    They systematically stayed on budget. The project was worth the price, even though we would have loved to pay less.
    We would totally recommend them.

Branding & Web Design for Hair Studio

"Primer Grey is a crucial part of my team, not just a vendor I work with."

Jan. - Nov. 2018

Primer Grey completed a full rebranding that included a new website. The team provided in-depth creative and consultation services throughout development and is now implementing a marketing strategy.

Nicole Maples
Owner, Élan Hair Studio

The new logo and website, which have received industry acclaim, now appeal to a broader target audience that spans a variety of demographics. Primer Grey’s intuitive, personalized solutions demonstrate a clear grasp of end goals and a genuine interest in sustained project success.

Élan Hair Studio is a salon that specializes in non-invasive solutions for thinning hair and hair loss. Our mission is to provide innovative and modern solutions for men and women of all ages. As the owner, I am responsible for all daily operations.

For what projects/services did your company hire Primer Grey?

We hired Primer Grey to help us create an entirely new brand and website that was more modern and mobile-friendly with a broader appeal.

The original owner, who began the business over 40 years ago, catered primarily to men. My goal was to develop a new brand and web design that spoke to our expanded, more diverse range of ideal prospective consumers—men and women between the ages of 22 and 55. Moreover, because hair loss can be a difficult issue to discuss and cope with, I wanted an identity that clients would be proud to associate with, not embarrassed.

During my previous career in healthcare, I worked directly with Primer Grey as the project manager on a brand design project for a mental health and wellness program for children with chronic illness. I was very impressed with the entire team. They made the whole process exciting and easy to navigate, and the result was perfect for our program. When I decided to purchase the hair studio, I immediately called Primer Grey to begin discussing my rebranding plans. I didn't even consider working with a different agency.

The process began with an in-depth discovery meeting between my business partner and myself, during which I provided detailed information about my own backstory as a client of the company before I purchased it. The team at Primer Grey helped us hone in on our vision, mission, and target end consumer. They also helped us identify the messaging we wanted to send to prospective clients so that we could decide the direction of the brand and web design.

After that, Primer Grey developed three to four unique name ideas, all of which were very thoughtful and creative. Choosing one was difficult because more than one spoke to us and to our vision.

Once we decided on “Élan Hair Studio,” the team then developed and presented several brand identities. This step proved to be an even tougher decision because we felt attached to more than one of their icon and logo designs. This was definitely a good problem to have. We ultimately chose our current logo and icon, then moved on to web design and development.

Primer Grey was extremely patient and supportive while I created the website content from scratch. As they developed the design, we were blown away by the accuracy with which they turned our vision into a reality.

I worked primarily with the head of the company and two of his team members. I know there were others doing some of the behind-the-scenes work on the site as well.

New and existing clients, as well as our vendors, are all excited about the new brand and website, which has received endless praise for its clean, user-friendly, and aesthetic appeal. A colleague who has been in this business for over 20 years remarked that it was the best she’s ever seen in our industry, a compliment that speaks for itself.

Though the number of monthly leads has increased since the site’s launch, the more notable result is the improved quality of the leads and the higher conversion rate. Our old brand and site were outdated, but the new brand is something our target consumer can relate to; it speaks to our prospective clients better and leaves more of an emotional and educational impact than the previous site. Additionally, the website’s more modern and mobile-friendly design appeals to the expectations of our younger consumers, improving our relationship with that demographic.

The workflow was great. I would occasionally fall behind, but Primer Grey was always on task and consistent in helping me stay on track for the deadlines we had established together. The whole team is amazing and attentive; I felt that they truly cared about my company and the success of my project.

The Primer Grey team clearly conducts substantial research on the companies and industries they work with. This was apparent not only throughout the entire development process but also as we embark on a new digital marketing strategy project together.

I also appreciated the size of their agency; I never felt lost in a system as sometimes happens with very large companies. The work feels very personalized because I knew each person working on my project and understood their role and their contribution. Primer Grey is a crucial part of my team, not just a vendor I work with.

No, I can't name anything.

Scheduling is simple. They are flexible and consistent.
    The cost was great for the quality and level of service provided.
    Our end result is incredible. We could not have imagined a better fit.
    I would absolutely refer Primer Grey to a friend.

Branding, Logo and Packaging Design for Craft Brewery

“Even when I have no idea how to make something happen, they always figure out a way to deliver.”

June 2015 - Ongoing

Primer Grey guided a new company through the process of creating a unique brand identity. The produced graphic and print assets like a logo and packaging designs and continue supporting monthly projects.

Casey Motes
Founding Partner, Eureka Heights Brew Co.

Primer Grey delivered the foundation of an established brand that stands out from competitors in the market. All of their deliverables have been very well-received. Customers compliment the designs as sleek and memorable. The team performs timely, innovative, and high caliber work.

I’m a founding partner at Eureka Heights Brew Co., a craft brewery in Houston, Texas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

We noticed that few companies in our industry were putting much effort and energy into their branding. We wanted to set ourselves apart and look more established and professional.

Primer Grey helped us with our initial branding. They created our logo and packaging designs that we didn’t roll out until six months ago. Together, we laid the groundwork and got a feel for our brand identity.

The team is skilled at thinking ahead to plan for ease of printing, and they made sure we were staying consistent. Putting in a bit more work at the start will make life easier later on as we move forward.

When little things come up, Primer Grey continues to support us. At this point in our engagement, we usually have a project about once a month.

Our main point of contact is Jennifer (Design Director, Primer Grey). She gives me a rough idea of how long it’s going to take and what it’s going to cost. Cliff (Co-Founder, Primer Grey) handles more of the business side. We also work with Rachel (Designer, Primer Grey) and Henry (Designer, Primer Grey) on smaller projects.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

We met Primer Grey at events around town. Once we had hung out quite a bit, we got to know them personally and liked them. We reached out to a few different vendors to get bids and really felt that Primer Grey meshed well with us. They clearly understood what we wanted to get across in our branding.

We’ve spent $20,000-$25,000 so far.

We started working together in June 2015 and have work ongoing.

We often hear comments that the branding Primer Grey designed is simple, clean, and memorable. When we started, we had a very blank slate; we barely had a name for the business and had literally nothing else. Having a brand that pops and is easy to recognize has definitely made a big difference and has helped us stand out in the market.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

Deadlines have never been an issue. We learned about their creative process and how to have clear communication throughout the project.

Primer Grey is a creative team that comes up with great ideas. They work around our concepts to save costs on certain tasks. Even when I have no idea how to make something happen, they always figure out a way to deliver.

Communication is always a challenge, but it’s gotten better throughout the process. We just need to talk through the creative process a little more throughout it to make sure we’re all on the same page.

I recommend having ideas and guidelines, but also being openminded. See what they can come up with for you.

Branding and Go-to-Market for Hot Tub Company

"We’re very appreciative that Primer Grey can take care of all of our needs."

June 2011 - Aug. 2011

Primer Grey developed a logo for a new hot tub company. They also created the brand's look and feel for the e-commerce website.

Marquand Schramm
Owner, I Heart Hot Tubs

Business has grown significantly since the engagement began. Primer Grey turned constructive feedback into implementable, on-time deliverables. Their consistent communication, responsiveness, and creativity justified the investment and made them a valuable partner.

I'm part owner of a hot tub sales and installation company. We also offer service, parts, and online sales.

For what projects/services did your company hire Primer Grey?

We needed a partner to walk us through everything from naming the brand and creating the logo to designing and building a website. We needed a site that offers all the capabilities required of a business that specializes both in service and e-commerce.

We wanted our image to be fun and lighthearted without turning customers off. We feel our industry allows for some humor.

We met with them to discuss the scope of the project, their experience, and pricing. We liked that they could fulfill other aspects of online business after design and launch, like SEO and Google Ads.

We met with their team to discuss our ideas and the aesthetic we wanted. Their whole team helped give us an understanding of how much fun we could have with the brand. Then they sent us options for the logo. Once we selected the logo, they moved forward with the branding and concepts for the framing of the website.

The project was divided up regarding specialties amongst their various team members.

We’ve had great progress since our launch. Our business has grown significantly with the help of their team. We continue to use Primer Grey today. They help us with every aspect of our online presence, brand, and e-commerce.

The workflow was seamless. We were more than happy with their turnaround time. They were great throughout the whole process, even as we added additional items to the scope. Their team members have different focuses, which I feel added greatly to the project. Often working with the different team members would surface new ideas or inspirations. The project benefited greatly from having the involvement of so many different perspectives.

We were concerned that finding a company to help us was going to require having a different specialist for everything and having to go to several different places to get what we need. We’re very appreciative that Primer Grey could ake care of all of our needs.

I understand the importance of criticism and the value of learning from it to improve, but I truly don't have any recommendations for improvement. Primer Grey has helped us grow our business significantly. My partners and I couldn't recommend them more.

Overall Score It was perfect. We are very happy.
    They're very accommodating.
    They offer a great price compared to many other companies.
    It was amazing.
    I have and will continue to refer them to everyone.

Web and Full Branding for Luxury Home Builder

"Every team member left us impressed with their talent and output."

Oct. - Dec. 2017

Primer Grey rebranded a custom design-build firm to enliven its image. They redesigned the logo and website, created messaging and a color palette, and made branded materials. They’re now on monthly retainer.

Scott Frankel
Principal, Frankel Building Group

The new brand debuted to praise from internal and external stakeholders, leading to more work for Primer Grey on another internal brand. The team excels at turning around top-notch work quickly. Their consistent communication, timeliness, and professionalism make for a smooth collaboration.

I’m the co-president and a principal at Frankel Building Group. We're a luxury home builder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Primer Grey?

We needed help to create a brand image that reflects innovation, vibrancy, and youth. We also wanted to distinguish ourselves from firms with similar names in adjacent industries. We engaged Primer Grey to refresh our messaging and brand image.

Primer Grey helped us rebrand using our original name. They updated our logo, chose a color palette that better reflects our desired vibe, created a consistent form, and developed messaging. They also redesigned our website and created branded materials such as shirts, hats, cards, trucks, and signs.

We’ve worked with Cliff (Co-Founder, Primer Grey), Henry (Designer, Primer Grey), Jennifer (Design Director, Primer Grey), and other team members.

How did you come to work with Primer Grey?

We were looking for someone with in-depth experience in building startup brands. A digital marketing firm referred Primer Grey to us, and we were really impressed with their work for a microbrewery and a local restaurant.

The original project lasted from October–December 2017. We now keep them on a monthly retainer.

We’ve spent between $50,000–$100,000.

We’re thrilled with Primer Grey’s work. When we started a second company, the team helped us come up with a name and a website with fleshed-out content in less than three weeks. We’re proud of our branding, and we regularly receive compliments on the style and look. They’re an excellent partner; I’d recommend them highly.

How did Primer Grey perform from a project management standpoint?

The team has managed a productive workflow from start to finish. We went to Cliff to block out our large concepts and then to Henry to tackle each task. Every team member left us impressed with their talent and output. We now use them to vet our ideas on how to further the company and its message. We communicate through Slack, emails, and in-person meetings.

Primer Grey’s rapid turnaround stands out the most to us. They deliver high-quality and unique identity work quickly. I recommend their team regularly to my colleagues because I know Primer Grey will produce satisfying work for them.

As a client on retainer, having a Primer Grey team member take 20 minutes to write two overviews—a month’s work in review and a month’s work in advance—would be very helpful to me.

Branding & Website Development for Law Firm

“They translated our ideas of how we wanted to be perceived into a unique brand.”

Aug. - Sept. 2016

Primer Grey created the overall brand concept of a new law firm, including the logo, color scheme, and font. They also built the website.

Joshua Mermis
Founder & Partner., West Mermis, PLLC

The branding and website received unanimous praise from stakeholders, thanks to Primer Grey’s creativity. They are highly efficient and well-regarded in the industry.

I’m the owner and founder of a law firm.

For what projects/services did your company hire Primer Grey?

We hired them to develop an original branding concept.

They were recommended by other companies in the industry.

Primer Grey designed the logo, color scheme, and font doe our new brand. They also developed our website.

Everyone loves the logo and branding behind our firm.

It was quite effective.

I was impressed with their branding process. They translated our ideas of how we wanted to be perceived into a unique brand.

No, I can't think of anything.