Your Digital Advantage

Our mission is to elevate the human experience through technology one custom designed software product at a time. In 17 years we have launched over 300 products with ambitious clients in industries like financial services, healthcare, education, media, energy and retail.

We have a proven record of creating game-changing value for clients, including Flex, NRG, The City of Houston, McCoys, Cost Plus World Market, Sysco Foods, The University of Texas at Austin and Keller Williams.

• We helped NRG generate $80M in new revenue
  • We helped the City of Houston save $20M
  • We helped Brief Media acquire 600,000 daily active users
  • We helped Interactive Health Technologies scale to over 1M users

With hiring and culture as top priorities at Praxent, you will work with...

• a UX Strategist that is highly experienced in combining business strategy and lightweight user research to identify and validate the business problem we aim to solve
  • a UX/UI Designer that will pair consumer grade creative with intuitive interaction design to elegantly produce design solutions that engage
  • a Solution Architect that architects your product with the right tools and technologies balancing pragmastism with modern tools
  • a Business Analyst that ensures you have complete visibility into the health and progress of your project while keeping a focused eye on timeline and budget
  • a Development team that brings your digital product to life with an uncommon level of responsibility and a keen eye for quality

... each of them handpicked to serve with zero attitude with a commitment to Clients First - our first core value and our promise to put you first in all we do.

2000

• Cost Plus World Market
  • NRG - $80M in new revenue
  • The City of Houston - saved $40M

Custom Kiosk Software for Experiential Marketing

Our solution helped Photomadic evolve into a software company with recurring revenue

We developed a custom photo booth solution and new Wave app that solved Photomadic's connectivity and customization woes. Our solution did much more, providing Photomadic with an opportunity to move from being a product company with one-off sales to now thriving as a software company with recurring revenue. Read more.

Workflow Management Software for Improved Contractor Management

We helped First Crush Tastings move from just another industry player to a proven game changer

We created an automated job scheduling and data collection app that powered 400% growth for this point of purchasing marketing company. The results were so dramatic that marketing the technology that makes it possible is now a major new focus of their business. Read more.

Drupal Upgrade + Healthcare Software Development

We successfully upgraded Corepoint Health's site from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7, built in an eCommerce registration tool, improved the content management interface, created a landing page solution, improved their site's multi-content type search, and increased social sharing and video capabilities. Read more.

Custom Mobile Application Development

Our updated, mobile application of the handbook used by 94% of veterinarians transformed how small animal and rural practitioners access drug data.

Created for busy veterinarians and pharmacists, Plumb’s Veterinary Drugs is the new digital resource for accessing up-to-date veterinary drug information. Read more.

Scalable Web Architecture for Certification Management

A faster, safer way to the playing field for 18,000 athletes

TYFA needed a web-based application that was scalable – capable of processing up to 4,000 participants at a time. Second, it needed to work anywhere, in a gym or on the field, and run efficiently on any computer or mobile device. Third, there was little time for training, so the user experience had to be intuitive.

We created a scalable web architecture so that volunteers could check birth certificates, complete profiles, take photos, and print photo ID cards reliably and efficiently. The system also sends guardians a waiver, which they sign electronically. The process for certifying players has never been so smooth. Read more.

Custom Financial Dashboard Software for City of Houston

$40 million savings in its first year

Well within the Mayor's deadline, we delivered an online purchasing information portal the city calls its E-Catalog. This powerful tool helped the city dramatically increase government accountability and citizen participation—while saving taxpayers millions. Read more.

Custom Reporting Software for Business Process Automation

SimpleNumbers is a web-based financial reporting and decision making tool for entrepreneurs to gain critical insight into the health and performance of their business. The app synchronizes with customers’ QuickBooks software and automatically updates. Read more.

Salesforce Enablement App

We built NRG SunLease a cloud-based portal for generating estimates and processing financing applications. It made creating customized solar installation bids incredibly quick and easy for sales reps. The instant results offered homeowners easy-to-understand financing options in an aesthetically professional package. Read more.

Environmental Compliance Management Software

We created a site that provided small businesses with a certification process to be recognized for eco-friendly business practices.

The advanced information architecture leads prospects along a self-guided discovery path that drives high conversion rates. A searchable directory helps eco-conscious customers find GBB members to do business with, and an e-commerce engine automates new member on-boarding and renewals. Read more.

Wearable Software for Schools

Custom app became the linchpin of Interactive Health Technologies

Deployed in school districts in over 30 states, IHT has revolutionized K-12 Physical Education with its suite of game-changing software that enables students, teachers and parents to actually measure class time activity and effectiveness. Read more.

Customer Service Management Software

Our custom portal cured NORCAL's customer service request overload

We developed a mobile responsive web-portal to enable insurance brokers to perform customer service for their accounts, reducing the call volume on NORCAL’s over-taxed billing department. Read more.

Our website solution reduced overhead and increased pipeline

Banker’s Toolbox needed their website to reposition them as a cool, youthful, and friendly tech company. Our redesign kept the user experience fresh while maximizing the readability of each page. And most importantly, the new site was designed to more effectively convert visitors into prospects for the firm to follow up with by phone and e-mail, and transformed the website from a passive brochure to a valuable source of new business. Read more.

Software Dev for Consultant

“The developer’s client-focused approach proved to be invaluable.”

Dec. 2017 - Apr. 2018

Praxent worked with existing code to update and support an enterprise management platform. The project’s requirements ranged from minor landing page adjustments to significant feature developments.

Consultant

President, Consultancy

Praxent overcame initial onboarding challenges and quickly took control of the project. Their communicative management style facilitated the use of Kanban user stories. After integrating a talented developer, they completed 140 GitHub tickets and delivered a successful engagement.

I’m the president of an energy consultant firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

My business utilizes an enterprise management platform that was built by a freelance developer. Once the freelancer became unavailable, I needed another developer to provide additional functionalities and updates.

No one had worked on our system in two years, so it needed many feature improvements. It’s a client-facing software that uses both Heroku and Amazon Web Services as cloud computing resources. I use the software to manage the business and in addition to clients, it also interacts with my partners and suppliers as well. I used GitHub to request specific bug fixes and list new developments. Praxent worked on the existing code to fix landing screens and sort orders. They programmed new functionalities that gather, analyze, and report relevant data. After experiencing project management difficulties, they taught me to utilize Kanban to create more descriptive user stories and expedite development time.

I spoke with Kevin (Managing Partner, Praxent) when initially reaching out to Praxent. Then, I worked with a project manager and two developers over the course of the engagement.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

I attempted to find a replacement freelancer and considered 3–4 candidates. However, our unique technology suite made it difficult to find an adequately-skilled developer. Then, I searched online for a local development firm with Python expertise. I narrowed the search down to Praxent and three other companies.

Praxent seemed to best comprehend the needs of my business. The other firms wouldn’t work with existing code and wanted to rebuild my entire platform. Kevin understood that I didn’t have the budget for a rebuild and just wanted to improve the current platform. His willingness to operate within my business methodology was the main reason I hired them.

The project took place from December 2017–April 2018.

I’m thrilled with the developer I ended up with and the quality of work that was done. Once we learned how to work together, we had tremendous success. Ultimately, they closed 140 tickets in GitHub.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

The initial developer they assigned wasn’t well-suited for the project. I expressed my concerns and they quickly appointed another developer who did great work. I was initially hesitant to learning Kanban, but they politely insisted and now I see great value in the process. Additionally, I’d attend daily standups with the project manager and developers. It was a lot more involvement on my part, but the communication led to better utilization of the developer. I’d request difficult tasks and could rely on them to present several actionable solutions. From that standpoint, they did a great job managing the project and me as a client.

The developer’s client-focused approach proved to be invaluable. If the developer isn’t engaged or committed, the project won’t succeed. Praxent found the right developer to match my expectations.

The onboarding process could’ve been better. They struggled setting up a development environment for two weeks before communicating the challenge. To be fair, the initial roadmap I provided them was lacking. These issues caused the project to go over budget by about 20%.

Web Dev for Public University

"I know they have bigger clients with bigger budgets, but they worked hard to deliver our project on time."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Praxent designed and built an informational site using WordPress. They focused on providing clean aesthetics to improve organization and intuitiveness to allow easy in-house updates.

Ethan Burris
Faculty Director, Center for Leadership and Ethics at University of Texas, Austin

Praxent created an aesthetically-pleasing website that presents content cleanly, ultimately improving fundraising efforts. They made a detailed project outline and met every deadline on budget. They’re devoted to the success of any project, no matter how small, and earned a follow-up contract.

I’m the Faculty Director for the Center for Leadership and Ethics at the University of Texas at Austin.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

Our website was difficult to navigate and featured an outdated design. We engaged Praxent to create a new site with a fresh look and clean organization.

They sat down with us to go over our existing site. We also showed them a few sites with aesthetics we admired. We then began to outline the project. They told us what was expected from our end–content, text and graphics approval, etc.–and outlined a schedule and budget. During this phase, they offered their own suggestions for the project based on their expertise.

The site was built using WordPress and essentially serves to convey information to students and potential donors. Praxent helped us organize strategies for different pages, landing spots, and backend analytics before working with us on the design elements.

We worked together closely as they began populating the content, providing edits and feedback. Based on our suggestions, they worked to reconfigure the strategy around each page.

While creating a visually appealing site was our primary goal, we also wanted it to be intuitive so our in-house staff could make edits easily. Praxent provided training to ensure our team members understood the system.

Having completed version 1.0, they’re currently building the second iteration with more complex features.

There were three people in total. Kevin (Hurwitz, Managing Partner, Praxent) connected at the beginning and end of the project. I worked primarily with a project manager and a technical specialist who built the site and provided the training.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

They developed a complex web project for another department at the University of Texas. They came highly recommended as competent developers who could deliver on time and on budget.

We started working together in January 2017 and our relationship is ongoing. Having completed the last round a year ago, we’ve engaged them to help with the second iteration of the site.

I’m much more comfortable showing the new site to potential donors. Our advisory council members think the site has an improved, clean look and find the content clearer. A colleague who teaches communications also gave positive feedback, saying the site is clean and to the point, with no wasted space or excess text.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent across the board. They clearly articulate their strategies and communicate their progress. They create a detailed schedule and meet every deadline on budget.

I don’t have a lot of experience working with developers, but I was very impressed by the level of attention they devoted to us. I know they have bigger clients with bigger budgets, but they worked hard to deliver our project on time.

Development of version 1.0 went very smoothly, but I would like to hear more strategic input as we move into version 2.0. I’m not tech-oriented, so it would be nice if they gave more detailed suggestions about what functionalities are possible under different budgets, and the pros and cons of each.

Any delays were caused by our end.
    They met every goal we set and stayed on budget.
    I've already recommended them.

UX for Auto Parts Distribution and Marketing Organization

“Praxent brought a depth of understanding and an ability to tactfully discuss the tradeoffs of different approaches.”

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Praxent helped an in-house team create a B2C site that integrated both new and existing frontend and backend features. They mapped out multiple customer journeys and innovated the checkout UX for the site.

Austin, Texas
Doug Wiggins
Director of E-commerce Solutions, Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance

Extremely thorough and well-organized, Praxent regularly completed deliverables on or ahead of schedule. They integrated well with in-house staff and their sandbox demonstrations persuaded key stakeholders about the viability of the project, making them a valuable partner for the future.

I'm the director of e-commerce solutions for an auto parts company. We provide technology, marketing, and product services for a group of distributors in North America and China, and we offer options like e-commerce and supply chain integration, as well as a number of marketing solutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

We were looking for UX design expertise. We felt like our own shop was lacking in ability to implement an effective user experience, so we wanted to augment our resources in order to tackle some important projects in our pipeline.

We hired them to help us with a new B2C commerce site. It's a hybrid of our existing services and some new ones we built from the ground up, and it will also enjoy many of our existing backend integrations.

We divided this project into frontend/backend segments, and Praxent assisted with UX on the frontend so we could ensure that we weren't leaning too heavily on older services we'd already deployed. This project used the Greenfield platform, and it needed to walk through four or five user journeys, e.g. arriving at the store, and then shopping for, searching for, or purchasing a product. Praxent's job was to create that experience for our site. We're still in the process of developing it now.

I have a project manager, and then the other members of their team switch in and out at different phases of the project. Normally there's one or two of them helping out at a time.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

I did a bit of web searching, but I live in Austin and my network here contains quite a few strong companies that do a lot of this work, so I asked for personal recommendations. I was interested in US-based companies, preferably local, and I received three good candidates. After meeting with Praxent's managing partner, I felt like it was a good fit and we moved forward from there.

We've spent somewhere between $50,000–$100,000 so far.

We started working with them in August 2017 and our partnership is ongoing.

The project isn’t finished yet, but one of the things they did was help revise the checkout process on our new site.  We debated it quite a bit, and I was both impressed and surprised by the richness of their discussion regarding specific implementation styles. I thought I knew my way around those UX areas pretty well, but Praxent brought a depth of understanding and an ability to tactfully discuss the tradeoffs of different approaches. They really helped us clarify our thinking and led us to the right choices for our particular UX.

We also set two deadlines in 2017 for Praxent to have sandbox pages ready to present at our stakeholders’ meetings, and not only did they meet both of those delivery milestones, their work helped us sell our design approach to our stakeholders. Prior to those meetings, there'd been some question as to whether our in-house team could produce this new website since software design isn't our specialty. We were able to demonstrate not only that our guys had what it takes, but also that we knew how to bring in a strong collaborative partner who helped us make robust advances to our products.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

Their productivity really impressed me. They check in with us regularly and they keep up with granular details like the function or story point. They've also done a great job meeting specific objectives as we march through the design iterations. Everybody on their staff has been on point.

I'm very happy with the quality and completeness of their deliverables. We're asking for developer-ready components and content, and they didn't just provide wireframes, but products that were finished and ready to code.

I'm also pleased with the overall project management. It's easy to see how well we're doing and they maintain a good pace. In fact, they push us. When you offload something like this, it’s ordinarily a challenge to keep that external team fed and ready for the next project, but in this case, we had to work hard to match their ability to produce. It's a nice problem to have.

Praxent is able to quickly digest what we give them and start making products that meet our requirements, so I would recommend being thoroughly prepared ahead of time in terms of your goals and your schedule. They're highly active, communicative partners, and we didn't have all of our UX plans decided ahead of time, so keeping pace with the decision-making was a challenge sometimes. We didn't outsource that part of the process as much as we could have.

Overall Score It's been a successful collaboration. These guys are keepers, and we certainly intend to continue working with them.
    This is where I'm most pleased. I feel like we've gotten high-quality services from Praxent in exchange for our investment.

Application UI for Oil and Gas Company

"The company has a good focus, the right mentality, and an effective development methodology."

Jul. - Dec. 2017

Praxent spent a three-week trial period building an app prototype for an oil and gas pipeline transportation company.

10,001 + Employees

Stephen Ngotran
Specialist - Pipeline Technical, Kinder Morgan Inc.

The speed at which Praxent worked set them apart from other vendors, as did their willingness to scrap the original concept and ability to rapidly create something more in line with the overall goals. An efficient and personable project manager helped to make the work both pleasant and successful.

I am a risk engineer at Kinder Morgan, which specializes in the pipeline transportation of oil and gas, among various other infrastructure interests.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

We needed to build a new application for our risk and pipeline integrity management system. Our internal tech team does not have the necessary skillset to build the type of application that we needed, so we went in search of vendors that could provide us with the capability and expertise to help us achieve our goals.

Our current applications are all separate and designed to address specific needs, but none of them are connected or integrated. Looking forward, we want to have one application to address all the previous requirements that were met by the disparate apps, and for it to also have the ability to include risk algorithms. Praxent’s primary objective is to build the user interface of the application and to incorporate the ability to display geospatial data via a map representation of the pipeline. So far, we have worked with them to create a prototype, and we have recently begun our collaboration on the full version of the app.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

We did research online about them and the last project that they spearheaded. Seeing a diversified portfolio of work was important to us. We needed a vendor that specialized in UI development and also had experience with utilizing geospatial data. After we worked on the prototype, we conducted a review of them and our other potential candidates. They needed to demonstrate both the technical capability we sought and the ability to understand our specific business needs quickly. Once we agreed that Praxent met all of our needs, we engaged them to begin the project in earnest.

The three-week-long work on the prototype cost us $15,000. The cost of the full project has yet to be determined.

The prototype was completed during July 2017, and we made the decision regarding the full project in October of the same year. We have only just begun work on the actual application.

It is too early in the process for us to have any concrete metrics about their impact.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

We have worked with two separate project managers during our collaboration thus far. During the majority of the work on the prototype, we worked with one person, and then after that we continued with Deanna, our current solutions architect. She is very intelligent and was able to grasp the technical concept of our product quickly. Additionally, she is pleasant to work with, and ultimately she was one of the main reasons that we decided to work with Praxent. We communicate through email, regular in-person meetings, WebX meetings, and the occasional weekend conference call. Their communication so far has been great.

Three weeks was not much time to develop a functional prototype, but Praxent was able to deliver in that timeframe. A truly impressive feat, however, was that when we indicated that we were dissatisfied with the very first version of their prototype, they were able to rework the whole thing within two to three days. That kind of adaptability and rapid turnaround time is exactly what we had been seeking. During that trial period, they demonstrated that they had the capability and talent in their team to ameliorate any issues we might have in the future. They have proven that they are capable and quick learners, especially when compared with other similar vendors. The company has a good focus, the right mentality, and an effective development methodology.

Although the price for their three weeks of work on the prototype was reasonable, their overall quote for the project is quite high, especially when compared to other vendors. The hope is that we are paying a higher price for a higher quality product.

This is true for all development work, but you would do well to know your business requirements and project goals upfront. That will make the process much easier and more efficient.

iOS/Android App Dev for Veterinary Media Company

"I've really come to view their team as an extension of our own."

2013 - Ongoing

Praxent created a digital platform to host an online, subscription-based reference book. They incorporated enterprise solutions for IP authentication and built corresponding apps for both iOS and Android.

Tulsa, Oaklahoma
Natalie Williams
Director of Audience and Technology, Brief Media

In its third year, the product’s subscriptions continue to increase, with revenue growing by 72%. Surveys show users extremely satisfied with the product’s easy-to-navigate layout, and Praxent’s personable team has made them a long-time partner.

I’m the director of audience and technology for Brief Media, which produces clinical journals focused on the veterinary industry. We’re based in Tulsa, Oklahoma and have a staff of 50 employees.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

We had acquired the rights to a well-known veterinary reference book called “Plumb’s Veterinary Drugs,” and wanted to transfer this to a digital space for paying subscribers. This was our first foray into digital publishing, and we needed a reliable development agency.

Praxent essentially built the digital space from scratch. We provided consultation on issues specific to our industry and they created a clickable prototype for test purposes.

From here, they created a responsive website to host the reference book’s content. They worked out the payment functionality, incorporating enterprise solutions with IP authentication, and built corresponding apps for both iOS and Android.

We meet with a dedicated project manager and a developer on a biweekly basis.

Post-build, we pay approximately $100,000 annually for site maintenance.

We started working together in 2013 and our relationship is ongoing.

The app and website allows veterinarians to quickly access information regarding things like proper prescription dosages. We've timed users, and found they can typically find what they’re looking for in less than 30 seconds, saving them the trouble of combing through a hard copy textbook.

The design and functionalities met our expectations. We’re in the product’s third year, and 2017 has seen a substantial subscription increase, resulting in revenue growth of 72%. According to our subscriber surveys, over 90% of our customers report being extremely satisfied with the product.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been great partners. We communicated daily during the project’s development and continue to have biweekly meetings that coincide with their sprint schedules. We also rely on a ticketing system and have access to their developer should any issues come up between our scheduled meetings.

I've really come to view their team as an extension of our own. We recently planned our 2018 product roadmap, and Praxent really worked with us on ideas for optimizing user experience. They even offered insight on the business end, providing suggestions for subscriber acquisition and retention.

They could have given us more pushback during the early stages of the project. We put forth some competing demands that slowed our otherwise efficient progress. At this point, they’re comfortable enough to tell us if a request will affect scheduling, but they were more hesitant to do so in the beginning.

Advice for potential customers?

View them as a partner and let them in on the challenges you want to address. I never give them specific instructions for solving a problem. Instead, I explain our goal and let Praxent’s team return with recommendations for accomplishing that goal. We find better solutions when we work collaboratively.

Overall Score From their CEO down, everyone is responsive to feedback.
    It's normal for small issues to arise in any project, but communication is key.
    An in-house maintenance team would be cheaper, but I'm happy with the value of their service.
    They've been a great partner and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Systems Integration for Supply Chain Company

"I’ve been in this industry for 42 years, and have yet to find anyone as responsive and communicative as Praxent."

May 2017 - Ongoing

Praxent created an integration solution for a startup’s technology infrastructure. The team created a solution that allowed for tracking of each piece of merchandise from receipt to resale.

Austin, Texas
VP of Quality and Compliance, Logistics and Supply Chain Company

The project was delivered before the deadline and went through a smooth user-acceptance process. Praxent was able to come onto the project and immediately understand the business problem and goals. They adjusted to any changes in scope in a reliable and efficient manner.

I am the vice president of quality and compliance for a global electronics wholesaler; we are a startup. We source end-of-first-use electronics from around the world, intake and process them for data-clearing, as well as functional and cosmetic evaluations, and sell them to a wide variety of channels worldwide.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

We had a large customer who wanted full integration with our technology infrastructure. That meant that needed to launch a 3-month project with that partner, in order to integrate our IT systems into theirs, at very specific points in the lifecycle of the transactions. We don’t have an in-house IT team, we only use outsourced resources. This meant that we were looking for a third-party integrator who could work with us and our new customer on the full scope of the project—the technical underpinnings and software development work. It was all done within a tight and closely managed project plan, managed by our customer. We had to take great care in selecting a partner who represented what we wanted because it was a customer-facing role. We needed to call in the professionals.

The integration work was focused on product intake in our facility—what was inbound, how it was processed, and the timely nature of how it was processed, the cycle time for all the different work-in-progress steps required, from receiving and registration, testing and wiping, to the equipment sale. All of these were touch points along the way, which had to be fully-integrated with the customer’s systems. All of this was tightly-managed and delivered by Praxent.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

We had already identified an outsourcing partner, and they had begun the process of engaging with the customer in the planning phase of the project. It was not meeting the expectations of my company nor our customer, so we started to look for someone who could step in and transition in a very seamless and non-transparent way for our customer. Praxent was recommended by common acquaintances. Austin is a fairly small technology community.

We started working with Praxent in May 2017, with the initial project lasting 3 months. However, the collaboration is ongoing. The result of our initial engagement led to a wide variety of increases in scope and to other work we have planned.

The project is on the verge of going live, so we don’t have metrics to share at this point. We do have high expectations and have completed all user-acceptance testing, which all went incredibly smooth.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

We met and exceeded the timeline set for the initial project. There was a bit of scope expansion during the project, but we delivered in less time than was expected, and to an incredibly satisfied customer. I’ve been in this industry for 42 years, and have yet to find anyone as responsive and communicative as Praxent. We have regularly-scheduled meetings, either in-person or by phone. We also use email and probably over-communicate some.

Their seasoned view of the business problem. Praxent has an experienced understanding of business problems and can turn them into solutions. As I said, they took over a role which was already outsourced to another vendor and did so very diplomatically by grasping the business issue quickly. Praxent stepped in silently and efficiently, in order to pick up the project and deliver it with high marks from the customer.

Based on our experience to date.
    It’s a bit too soon to say, and we’ve only worked on one project.
    It was too short of an engagement to give them a 5.
    This was one of the best collaborations/IT projects I’ve taken part in, to the point of inviting Praxent back for more work.

Web Dev for University Research Database

"They do what we ask them to do and they do it quickly."

2011 - Ongoing

Praxent designed and developed a database platform to store large amounts of data for teaching assessments. The team created multiple custom features and data-entry options for this large research project.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Institute Director, University

The quality of the site meets the original specifications and integrated 7 different data sets. Praxent is extremely responsive and generally finishes deliverables before the timeline. The team’s project management is exceptional, with minimal turnover or issues that affect clients.

I am the director of an institute at a university. We have a state grant to perform a state assessment on a series of teaching programs across Texas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

The State's assessment project would have ongoing cycles of anywhere from 18 to 29 universities working with teachers throughout Texas, which would mean anywhere from about 700 to 1,300 teachers in any of the two-year cycles of this funded project.

The main challenge was to be able to collect data that could be easily and safely put into a repository and extracted as needed. It needed to be able to collect certain pieces of data in real time, and other pieces in deferred time, all while keeping it safe. Some of the data is numeric and some of it is alpha-data, like online reflections and interviews that have been transcribed as Word documents.

Praxent built the data-collection site for us. Initially, it was housed here at the university, but in the years since we’ve been working with Praxent, we’ve gone cloud based. They did all the technical work to make the site, as well as the user interface, following our specifications. We would tell them where we’d want a button, a drop down menu, a color to change, etc. We drove the design process and they implemented it. They created a total of seven data areas, some of which talk to each other and some of which don’t. A few examples of these data areas and their functionalities are below.

One functionality they produced on the site allows teachers to go to a predetermined URL and enter an anonymous code to then answer a series of reflections. There’s no way to connect them in any way to who they actually are. Using that code, they enter in their reflections, and another database allows them to take a pre- and post-assessment test. Those scores are then entered here at the university so that we have a numeric, pre-content understanding.

We had had another company build an app allowing observers observe teachers and note information about what’s happening, which then ties into the site Praxtent built, becoming numeric and is put into the database when the observer clicks 'submit'.

We also have a silo for concept maps that allows teachers to do a pre- and post-concept map. Those are graded numerically and get put into the database.

Lastly, we have people who perform interviews over the phone at the end of the cycle they participate in. That is sent off to a transcriber and they come back to us as Word documents and those are put into the system. For any one teacher, you could get all of that information with the new site.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

Because this is using state money from the federal government, there were a lot of precautions we had to go through in terms of getting bids from different companies, making sure that the companies all met the state standards. Knowing that there was a vetting process that whittled us down to a subset of companies that could do the work.

Then we narrowed it down to about three companies. The way Praxent did their interview is for a flat fee, you could work with them for a full day. We went to Austin and five of us from four different locations around the state met with them all day long. We described what we thought we needed. We talked about what services they’d already done for people and how it might look. We did a similar kind of process with two other companies and we chose Praxent. We just clicked with Praxent.

We started working together 7-9 years ago and the work is ongoing.

The site is only used by teachers and the project directors themselves; it’s not an open URL. We don’t check to see how many clicks or whether people go from one location to another location. The quality of the site has met our expectations.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

They perform very well. They respond almost immediately to any issues. They always respond with a time frame that it will take for it to be fixed. They email me again to let me know when it’s corrected or if they need more information.

During the first two or three years, we met every other week virtually. That became less and less over time and now all the work is done through email. They do what we ask them to do and they do it quickly.

I’ve never done anything like this before; it’s a totally unique situation for me. So I have nothing to judge them against. I’m impressed with their timeliness.

I also find it amazing that when their designers go on vacation, they cut them off from being able to work, they can’t even get into their emails. They always assign someone else. That is such a wonderful thing. I wish everybody in the US would do that. That being said, it never interrupts my work. If I send an email while our contact is away, somebody else will have already been assigned to our account. It gets put through the system just as quickly.

There’s always room for improvement. The place we fall down on sometimes is that they're a group of young, techy people trying to communicate with somebody who has none of that same vocabulary. They did a very good job of trying to hear what was being said, but that’s weak place in the relationship. One member of our leadership team is highly technical and understood the project and the federal regulations. So he often acted as a translator for what the leadership team was saying and what Praxent did or didn’t hear us say. That will most likely always be a problem. As these young people get older, they will talk a language that’s totally different from their clients.

I have no idea because this is brand new, but we’ve been satisfied. As you can tell, I don’t give 5s.
    Truth is, I don’t know anybody else. They’re the only company like this that I know. If anybody asked me about a company, they’re the only one.

Marketing Tool Dev for Food Product Company

“What I’ve seen so far is top-notch … [they] delivered things we didn’t even ask for that turned out to be necessary.”

Jun. 2016 - Ongoing

Praxent is enhancing the UI of a procurement platform, migrating it to another cloud computing service, and implementing marketing features. The team is working with internal developers and external designers.

10,0001 + Employees

Dawn Fitzgerald
Senior Director of Marketing, Sysco

The team is thorough and proactive, implementing functionalities outside the original scope that improve the platform. As a result, the product is bug-free and has received positive feedback from test users. Praxent also excels at project management and customer service.

I am the senior director of marketing services for the largest food distribution company in North America. We have over 400,000 customers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

Praxent was brought in to help us improve a tool that lacked many key features. It was built several years ago without usability or an underlying database functionality in mind. We were originally only going to have a user interface facelift, but our internal IT group does not have the in-house skillsets to support the current system.

Praxent is performing a complete overhaul of our current on-demand tool and rebuilding the user interface from the ground up. Praxent is also moving the platform to AWS [Amazon Web Services] from a different web service provider. They added many new features built around the database.

It’s a marketing platform for our customers and the internal organization, including salespeople from our operating companies. During multiple workshops, we identified what we were looking for. We interviewed our customers and users.

Praxent is helping make the new frontend more intuitive and customer-friendly. For example, they put in a video that shows users how to build a menu. They can enter all of their recipes and menu items on the platform.

The new platform also has customizable templates for background designs. For example, Mexican or Italian restaurants can select and customize one of our designs. They can also get matching marketing materials such as napkin dispensers and inserts that announce back-to-school specials and other events.

We’re also in the process of integrating a third-party print-on-demand service. Once that’s done, all of the marketing materials and menus can be automatically transferred to the printer, who will then ship them to customers. With Praxent’s help, we’re building and integrating these functionalities into a one-stop shop.

Praxent is working with our in-house IT on the integration and security points. Praxent is also collaborating with another external team, Slide UX. Praxent is in charge of development while Slide UX handles design.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

Slide UX recommended Praxent. Slide UX, in turn, was vetted by our internal organization. We made a background research on Praxent, as well as checking all of their references. After looking at internal and external partners, Praxent came to the top of the list.

We started working with Praxent in June 2016. The collaboration is ongoing. We continue to talk daily with their team. They’ve been a great partner, so they’re getting our business for the next fiscal year.

Praxent has built a strong tool. The platform hasn’t been launched yet, but the development work has been largely bug-free. We’ve just started user testing, and all the feedback has been positive.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

I come from an IT background, and this has been the first time I’ve worked with a group that’s completely on top of their game when it comes to project management. So far, Praxent has delivered when they said they would. If something was awry, they let us know.

The communication was done over Skype and email for the most part, but we also meet every 1–2 months in person. Praxent is based in Austin, while we’re in Houston, so one of our teams will visit the other.

We’re impressed by their customer service, responsiveness, and attention to detail. Praxent is a joy to work with, and it has been a great relationship. They’re thoughtful, methodical and conscientious. I can’t say enough about Doug Wilson, their solutions architect. He’s the main person I work with, and he’s top-notch.

There is always room for improvement, but I can’t think of anything off the top of my head.

Overall Score They’re a great group of developers.
    Praxent has managed to meet the timelines every time throughout this collaboration.
    They’ve been reasonable, compared to the other quotes we’ve received. Praxent wasn’t the lowest nor the highest offer, but it was fair.
    What I’ve seen so far is top-notch. Praxent delivered things we didn’t even ask for that turned out to be necessary.
    I have referred them to others. Our IT department is looking at projects they might give to Praxent.

Web Dev for Digital Transformation Company

“They’ve gone above and beyond our expectations from previous web agencies in all aspects.”

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Praxent performed a deep dive into the backend of a previous website to identify bugs, then redeveloped the UX for a homepage and blog to optimize consistency across the board.

Palo Alto, California
Senior Manager of Marketing Operations, Digital Transformation Company

Praxent’s unbroken communication, adaptability, and dedication to finding solutions were all key in this client’s success. Their keen attention to the customer experience is invaluable.

I am senior manager of marketing operations at a digital transformation company. We mobilize applications for clients with their CRM platforms and some of their other custom homegrown systems.

What challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

We needed to find a web developer who was able to implement what we wanted to do. We needed them to be strategic and proactive about providing recommendations in optimizing the site.

We had a couple high priority items when we began working with Praxent, including a technical overview to identify issues on our current site. Our development and production environments are very different, so our workflow was time consuming because we had to replicate everything and fix bugs in both systems.

Praxent did a deep dive into our system to identify the issues, and they worked hard to replicate everything across the board to retain consistency. We also had a couple web development projects, including the redesign of the homepage and of our blog, which are now both live.

They provided a lot of expertise on the UX and redeveloped the entire website. They worked with the design partner we had on board to make sure everything functioned well together.

After they pushed everything live, one of the big challenges was that our systems weren’t aligned, and the first deployment uncovered a lot of discrepancies. They worked hard to make everything consistent. Our prior agency hadn’t deep dived like Praxent did, but instead only built on top of what the previous developer had done. Praxent actually came in and took the initiative to do that technical work, which really helped make all of our deployment successful.

We have a project manager and a developer.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

A client of our SEO company had heard we were looking for a new web developing agency and refered them to us. We met with Praxent and had a couple conversations with our sales team and one of their technical resources to understand how they could help from both a system and development perspective. We were impressed with their 24/7 support for website issues and the level of work they’d done with our design partner.

Around $7,500 a month.

We started working together February 2017, and the work is ongoing.

A lot of the success is based on the content we provide rather than the work Praxent did. Our internal team members, customers, and partners have all told us the homepage was a huge upgrade. On mobile devices, a lot of people are happy now that we have consistency across the board regarding font sizes.

They’re somewhat small things, but from a design and user perspective, we’ve had great feedback, especially on the blog that we deployed last week. Our internal design team was very impressed, and everything is working just as we hoped it would.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re great, and we’re very close in communication constantly. We have weekly meetings on Wednesdays to review current projects and to discuss our upcoming pipeline. Our project manager is very proactive about getting requirements and making sure they are ready to start the next Sprint. As far as response time goes, it’s very quick as well.

Their most unique attribute is that they have customer success in mind. I’ve worked with many web development agencies in the past who would just do whatever we said and never had any input about what was best for the UX.

With our blog, our main concern was that it would load quickly from a SEO perspective. Praxent recommended we do infinite scrolling instead of having to click to the next page to enhance the UX. It’s that kind of thing that really makes them stand out against others. They think about everything holistically on the development and user side, and they make sure they’re meeting our needs as a company.

They’ve done a great job in all aspects, honestly. In the beginning, one of their developers left and we had another one come on board. She was very quick in picking up and analyzing what our system was like. They filled that gap quickly, and I’m very happy with the resources we have on the account now. We have had a couple issues that were out of their control, but they did a great job in making sure that we were still on track with our timelines.

Overall Score It’s been one of the best working relationships I’ve had with a vendor. We work closely together, and we’re always communicating. We’ve made so much progress as a team thanks to them. It’s been a very great experience for me.
    There’ve been times our team needed to push projects live asap, and they made sure we had resources available. They bent their own rules to help us hit our deadlines, and we’re greatly appreciative.
    They are honest about their hours, and came in at the same price as the last agency. They go over their billing invoice monthly, and if they overestimated, they’ll correct it. This level of honesty puts them above some other vendors we’ve used.
    They’ve gone above and beyond our expectations from previous web agencies in all aspects. Their communication, overall work, and expertise have been so great.
    I don’t know if Praxent does a lot of web development work as opposed to building up custom software applications. I would definitely refer them to anyone that’s looking for a web agency.

Custom Software Dev for Equipment Manufacturer

"They embraced our vision and tried to do everything in their power to make it happen."

Jan. - Dec. 2016

Praxent developed the UI and UX for a highly efficient custom analytics kiosk for an inspection equipment manufacturer.

Director of Operations, Equipment Manufacturer

Praxent remained adaptable and communicative throughout the entire project, and dedicated specific members of their team to each task. They were consistently informative and committed to the company’s vision and needs.

I am the Director of Operations for a company that manufactures inspection equipment for the oil and gas industry.

Specifically, our equipment does an inspection process where it uses permanent magnets to saturate metal plates in order to detect volume loss created by corrosion.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Praxent?

In our industry, all of the software is very technical and difficult to use because it requires a lot of effort and thought. The problem is that the equipment itself is used in very intense environments where it is extremely hot or extremely cold. So, in order to get the people using it in and out of the tank quickly, we were trying to take something that required a lot of attention to detail and streamline it as much as possible.  This required the most user-friendly technology that also allowed being able to quickly enter as few inputs as possible. We believed this would cause a better overall quality inspection improvement.

It was about a 7-9 month long scope project. We were attempting to do something that really had not been done before in the industry. We had to use Toughbook because we needed something that was rugged for the environment, but one of our goals was to make it feel like you’re using an iPad application. We wanted it to be highly responsive. We also wanted to develop a dedicated software that basically ran in kiosk mode. Our previous software was a Windows program that the operator would click on to get it to engage and operate, and would then navigate from there. However, he had to deal with saving files to different folders. We were trying to move away from the headaches involved with Windows. We wanted this to be in kiosk mode where the only purpose of that computer was to run our equipment. That’s what we worked with Praxent to achieve.

Praxent essentially developed the user interface, which handled mapping and recording, that then displayed this feedback for the user. There were a lot of aspects to the process. Praxent also had to deal with the data acquisition. We were recording data every millisecond. There was a lot going on and we had to make sure we weren’t losing data, and that everything was displayed properly and was repeatable. Trying to get it to be easier to use and running by itself, while not displaying too many screens, was important to us.

One of the first people Praxent brought on was a graphic artist named Nick [Graphic Artist, Praxent], who was pretty incredible. It’s difficult to have that artistic flair that a lot of the big companies have, but Nick was very big in basically looking at what color schemes we were going to use. He was asking questions as far as, “Okay, where are they using this? If they’re inside this tank, is it dark in the tank? Is it bright in the tank? What’s the level light like?” They were very conscientious of the color scheme and how it looked relative to how it fit our brand as a small company. I did a lot of the initial artwork, like our logo and color schemes, thinking that I'd need to give them this. I didn't realize how involved they would be in the process, which impressed me, because it showed they cared about the presentation.

After that, they started asking some of the technical questions about what we are trying to accomplish with each screen, and then trying to figure out the least amount of data that we needed to get the final product. After all the mapping and data recording is complete, it generates an inspection report.

We had our own plan for Praxent to execute on the technical side, but they took care of the details and how it presented itself. A bulk of the project was planned to a T but there was a big 10% on the page that was just a question mark, and Praxent had the experience to come up with good solutions to those problems. Sometimes they would try something, and if it didn’t quite work the way we wanted it to, they’d try something else. They were definitely involved in jumping over some of the hurdles we ran into. It felt like they were there to help us get what we wanted, instead of them telling us what we need and want, and then us having to try and get them to listen to us. They embraced our vision and tried to do everything in their power to make it happen.

How did you come to work with Praxent?

I had to look at many options locally on the East and West Coasts, as well as Texas. We were looking for companies and navigating through their websites, trying to get a feel for what they could do. We had to make sure we weren’t engaging a software company that’s used to dealing with a $20 million project, but instead look for someone who works with small businesses.

When we met with the team at Praxent, Tim [Owner, Praxent] was extremely helpful in the interviewing process. He demonstrated not only what the company had done, but when we asked questions, he was very responsive and showed us software capable of doing exactly what we needed. Moment to moment, he was improvising the presentation, and it was very clear that he was listening and was onboard with what we were trying to accomplish. We were willing to spend more money to work with someone if we felt they were at least listening to what we had to say. It was important to us that the company we chose was affordable and were going to do what they said they would.

Working with Praxent was the first time we actually outsourced a company. Previously, we worked with an individual who helped us move from a physical electronic LED display to a computer system. We did as much as we could with that, and he did a really good job on the software, but he could only take it so far.

What surprised me the most with Praxent, was the start of the process and how they were able to really get a good idea of the look and feel. When we went through the quotation process, they gave us an actual working quick model of the software. It allowed us to actually click through the screens and show how it would feel and look, which was very impressive.

The cost of the project was about $340,000.

We started working with them February 2016 until December 2016.

The feedback we get from companies has been extremely positive. The owner of the company started going back to trade shows and commented that it was the most well received product we’ve ever released, which is impressive because the previous model was also very well received. You could see in his expression that he’s actually excited to go out there and present this product, which is good for the company. We’ve pre-sold dozens of them and we are on track to have a strong sales year. There are no negatives to the quality of the product. The biggest things that did occur, as far as the scope of the project, was that it took longer than expected and costed more. However, we attributed a lot of that to what we were trying to accomplish. It wasn’t like we had a software, and said, “Just make it this.” We were trying to add features and maybe trying to be a little bit too ambitious with what we were trying to do.

How did Praxent perform from a project management standpoint?

Once we established what we wanted, and how it was going to look and present itself, we communicated on a weekly basis, if not more regular. We were constantly meeting to deal with any issues that came up. That’s a big difference between using a single person who we would give a project to and not hear back for two or three months. He’d come back with something, and it might be 90% of what we want, but the other 10% was a little too late to fix because he had already gone too far.

With Praxent, it felt like we had the ability to navigate, and if there was something wrong in the direction they were taking, or if it was taking too long, we could change directions. It felt like we were in control of the development process. We could actually fine tune it as it was being developed. The idea of meeting with teams of people was new to me, but I felt like it was extremely effective. They had a main Software Programmer, a secondary Software Programmer, and a guy who was just doing design work and graphical presentation. They had probably two people who were handling the logistics of the features, and also guys who were managing the overall project.

They were conscientious of whether we were getting behind schedule, and always let us know. It felt like we were able to make informed decisions throughout the entire process. We might have hoped something would take a little less time, but it didn’t, and we knew that going into each phase.

What distinguishes Praxent from other providers?

Now that we have the software designed, one of the things that has come up over time has been issues with bugs, and Praxent has been extremely responsive. The thing I like most about Praxent is that I feel like I can hand off the issues that I have and say, “Look, here’s the list of the problems,” and they get it done. They give us an update for our software, and it’s in a timely fashion. I feel like you can just describe what the issue is and they can get it done. We were concerned about their ongoing support after the product was created, but they have been really good at remaining responsive.

Is there anything Praxent could have improved or done differently?

No, I don’t know of anything they could have done to improve. The biggest thing I had to try and figure out was the budget issue, which doesn’t completely fall on them.

Overall Score We are going to be using them again for other products. Even though we were over budget and took longer than expected, the outcome has been so positive that there’s no question whether we’ll be using them on future product software development.
    It’s very impressive.