Vancouver Digital Marketing and PR Agency

Popcorn is Vancouver and Toronto’s premier digital marketing and public relations agency. Our passion is connecting people with the brands they love. Compelling visual content and authentic community building is at the heart of what we do.

We offer a full spectrum of services including digital strategy development, community management, public relations, content creation, event planning, digital media design, and much more.

We specialize in working with lifestyles and retail brands, food, beverage, hospitality, technology, and government clients.

Vancouver, Canada

Purdys Chocolatier City of Surrey Tourism Vancouver Samsung HARIBO Michael Hill Jewellers

SEO & Social Media Marketing for Outdoor Tour Operator

“They explained things in a way I could understand and did exactly what they said they would do.”

Feb. 2020 - Apr. 2020

Popcorn provided digital marketing services for an outdoor tours company. Their work included SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and target marketing.

Amber Rittinger
Owner, BeWild! Adventures & Wellness Inc

Popcorn’s work has met the mark. Although their engagement was cut short due to COVID-19, the team made sure to establish a positive relationship. They were friendly, answered questions, and eager to see a tour of what they were marketing. Customers can expect a genuine team that truly cares.

I’m the director of an outdoor tour company that does hiking and nature tours in the Vancouver area.

What challenge were you trying to address with Popcorn?

I have a business mentor and she connected me with a student group that did a complete analysis of my company. One of the things we found was that I really needed marketing to get me away from online tours.

They took care of my SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and target marketing. It was a lot of testing since my company was very new to this style of marketing. We recently ended our relationship because of COVID-19, but it wasn’t their fault at all.

I spoke with Dennis (Managing Director) and Patricia (Digital Content Producer).

How did you come to work with Popcorn?

A student group did research for me into different companies and they concluded that Popcorn would be the best match for my company. The irony is, when I started my company, I had already found them and thought they were awesome. I just couldn’t afford them at the time.

They seemed like genuine and fun people, and that was the vibe my company was looking for. We didn’t want anyone too corporate. Their styles really meshed well with mine.

We had a three-month contract of $1,000 per month, plus ad-spend.

We started working together in February 2020 and paused indefinitely in April 2020 because of COVID-19.

I really liked their personalities and how everyone kept in touch. They kept me top of mind even though I’m a smaller account of theirs. It felt like they really cared. If I had questions, they’d answer them right away.

How did Popcorn perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. They explained things in a way I could understand and did exactly what they said they would do. If something came up that they thought would be of interest to me, they emailed me about it to let me know, even though it wasn’t part of their job with me. They kept my company’s best interest in mind, even when it wasn’t beneficial to them.

We arranged a tour for them to come out and actually see what I do, which I was looking forward to. It was impressive that they wanted to genuinely know what they would be marketing.

Some of the analyses they gave me, I didn’t really understand, and I had to have a friend help me out. When I brought that up to them, Dennis explained it to me right away.

My advice is to be open and transparent with them. They really listen, so it’s important to know what it is you’re asking for.

Overall Score Their whole team reached out to me to ask specific questions of what I wanted.
    We didn’t have enough time to execute a lot, but they did what they said they would do.
    Knowing what other places cost, it’s a five. We only get through the testing phase, but the cost was very straight forward.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Public Relations for Jewelry Company

"The work that has been coming out is fantastic - they take on our briefs and manage to nail it every time."

Popcorn provides public relations services with the aim of building and managing relationships with the media. This involves generating social media content and planning events

Australia
Marketing Executive, Jewelry Company

The engagement has helped the client cultivate a strong relationship with a variety of media partners. In particular, Popcorn planned a successful event that sparked significant interest in the products. The specialists are personable, accessible, and proactive.

We are a jewellery company, operating for over 40 years with 304 stores globally across Australia, New Zealand and Canada. The Group’s global headquarters, including its wholesale and manufacturing divisions, are located in Brisbane, Australia. My position is the Marketing Executive. I manage public relations activities across Australia, New Zealand and Canada, working with PR agencies in each country.

For what projects/services did your company hire Popcorn?

The business had the need to focus on more branded related activities. Being a retailer, this can sometimes be difficult but it is extremely important to show a meaning behind the brand and show people who we are and what we stand for. We are not just a company - the stories behind the company, our collections, our teams, our values, these all make us what we are as a company and we want to show that.

Develop and build relationship with media Become the number one destination for jewellery Become the bridal destination Generate social content from media relationships/events/gifting

The team researched various agencies in Canada and narrowed it down to a selection of whom they contacted. They were then tasked to pitch to us. Popcorn stood out and came back with the best approach, innovative ideas and fantastic team and we could see this would be a partnership that would go a long way.

Once Popcorn was selected, we set up various meeting and conference calls. We briefed them on our company and what we were trying to achieve, we also ran over our campaign year with areas in need of focus for PR activities.

I work closely with the Principal & Agency Director as well as the PR Specialist. I am unsure of how many other people are in the firm but this relationship is very easy to manage working with the both of them.

Since we started working with Popcorn, we have generated a great relationship with media. They planned a fantastic event last year which was a huge success - we had media attend who we would never think we could collaborate with and they had a high interest in our products. We have also been collaborating with a diverse mix of influencers, Youtubers and other media partners to push our brand to people who would not usually consider our brand. This has been highly successful.

The team is fantastic! We have weekly meetings and I know I can email or call any time. Even with the time difference, they get back to me when it is nearly midnight in Canada. They are always very proactive with ideas and easy to talk to. The work that has been coming out is fantastic - they take on our briefs and manage to nail it every time.

They have fantastic media contacts, the team are super responsive and they know how to do amazing events.

Popcorn is a fantastic company. Only areas in need of improvement are that sometimes we need to chase up on some reporting but once I ask for this I receive it within less than 24hours.

100% value for money. Their retainer fees are very minimal compared to others -and they are one of the best Pr agencies I have worked with
    Fantastic quality, innovative ideas, exceptional partnerships

Social Media Marketing for Chocolatier Firm

"They don’t have a cookie-cutter formula, so we don’t get treated like any other client."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Popcorn partners with an internal creative development team to coordinate a social media content calendar. They manage Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube accounts and operate Twitter as a customer service tool.

501-1000 Employess

VP Merchandising & Marketing, Food Production Firm

Popcorn’s team maintains a brand-appropriate voice while interacting with consumers through social channels. Their involvement has fostered a growing base of followers and has increased overall engagement. Popcorn’s organizational and strategic skills are impressive and vital for continued success.

We are a Canadian chocolatier and retailer based in Vancouver, British Columbia. We have 80 locations across the country and an online presence, as well. I am the VP of Merchandising and Marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Popcorn?

Our social media strategy with another firm plateaued. We were looking to reinvigorate and add a different focus and energy to social media.

We have aggressive goals for every quarter and every fiscal year, and that's what drives our strategy. We have a very robust internal team of creatives and content developers, including in-house photographers, graphic designers, a marketing team, and copywriters. Popcorn’s expertise helped us leverage all of that to be more strategic regarding our social media. Our biggest focus is on Facebook and Instagram because that is where we see the best results. They manage our Twitter account, though that is turning into more of a customer service avenue. They also maintain our YouTube channel. Although we no longer operate on Pinterest, Popcorn oversaw our content there, as well.

They respond to comments on all platforms on our behalf, acting as our customer service team in a way. We conduct a rigorous process of developing our tone and how we would answer as a brand. Some of the questions we receive cover serious questions, like food allergies or sustainability, so answering those questions accurately is vital. They are responsive and engaging. They manage the calendar of content and help us stay organized. They’re very integrated into our on-site team to the point that most days they feel like an extension of our staff.

The founder, Dennis, is our primary strategist, but Michael, a community manager, is our day-to-day contact. He is the main base for us in posting content, responding to customers, and running operations behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Popcorn?

Our contract with another vendor had come to an end, and we sent an RFP to other firms in the city to explore new opportunities. Popcorn was recommended to us to include. We received proposals from about a dozen agencies with varying sets of services. We shortlisted to four, and we awarded our contract to Popcorn.

We began working together in August 2016 and have ongoing projects.

We started off with a small fan base, but we've grown that organically, meaning that we don't buy any followers. More importantly, our engagement has increased. We have higher engagement than any other competitors within our category of chocolate and other categories of gifting.

How did Popcorn perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very well-organized. For any collaborative projects we’ve done, they take over the project management point. They speak on our behalf for inclusion in blogs and influencer events. They are instrumental in developing and maintaining those relationships.

They make effective use of time and don’t miss deadlines. We use Slack quite often, and we use Google Sheets and Google Docs to share common documentation. We also work in person whenever possible.

We are both invested in understanding the other’s processes. They took the time to learn about our business and our audience. They don’t have a cookie-cutter formula, so we don’t get treated like any other client. They are flexible to our budget while remaining very solutions-oriented. They are always coming up with different ideas and asking smart questions. They are truly a partner for us, as opposed to an agency.

Generally, we’re always looking to accomplish tasks faster. My main concern with long-term engagements is that they will eventually become the status quo, but we haven’t experienced anything like that. We don’t accept, or we don’t have the budget for, everything Popcorn puts in front of us, but that doesn’t stop them from continuing to ask questions.

Everybody’s situation is unique, and I know they provide services for other clients that we don’t ask of them. It’s important to identify your priorities.

I sometimes evaluate if the agency’s role should become an internal position instead.
    I have already recommended them.

Social Media Marketing for Tourism Company

“They do very creative, innovative work and are a great company.”

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Popcorn supports social media initiatives for a tourism company. They collaborate to create content for Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook on a project-by-project basis.

Client Manager Convention Services

Popcorn provides metrics for each campaign and stakeholders are pleased with the results. They offer a broad range of work, are strong project managers, and communicate well.

We are a non-profit organization that markets Vancouver as a tourist destination. I work in meetings and conventions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Popcorn?

We were looking for new opportunities to market some of our programs. We don’t always have the necessary resources on staff, so we hire outside specialists to assist with some of our projects.

They help with our social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to improve attendance at conferences. Our work with them is very project-focused and varies with each initiative. They collaborate with us to create content and we give them free reign for certain details.

We initially worked with their principal and founder. Depending on the project, we are assigned one or two point people, but the founder is always involved.

How did you come to work with Popcorn?

Our marketing manager found them. We’d not worked with anyone else who does such specific work and were happy with the service they provide.

Our annual spend varies, but it’s usually between $20,000–$30,000 each year.

We started working together in January 2016. We collaborate on a project by project basis, but our partnership is ongoing.

They provide us with metrics for each project with a summary of the information they capture. They can see all the different posts on each initiative and other user information. We share all of those results with our stakeholders and are very pleased with their work.

How did Popcorn perform from a project management standpoint?

They do very well with project management and their communication is strong. When they’re working on a specific project, we will email each other every few days and have a face-to-face meeting as the project is coming to fruition and a follow-up meeting after it runs.

They do very creative, innovative work and are a great company. We’re very happy with them.

Ask about the scope of work they can provide. They do a lot of all-encompassing projects and may be able to help you in more than one way.

They give good results and ROI for their services.
    We’ve recommended them to our partners.