Working with brands in their formative stages

Gold

You deserve a name you can be proud of.

If you’ve tried to name your business or product, you know how difficult it can be to find an available name that’s distinctive, attention-getting, and memorable. We’re here to guide you from apprehension and uncertainty to a name that truly expresses what your brand is all about.

Our naming process is grounded not only in creativity but also in science: how the brain notices, stores and recalls information. That’s why we recommend names made with natural words — the gold standard for brand names. Using language your audience already understands means a brand name can be more attention-getting and memorable, and can lead into a story that they want to hear.

As one of the top naming agencies in the country, we’ve created names for organizations of all sizes — from startups to the Fortune 200 — in a wide range of industries including financial, technology, food and beverage, sporting goods, retail, health and wellness, personal services and education, as well as nonprofits. We can help you too.

2007
Minneapolis, MN
  • 7760 France Avenue South
    Minneapolis, MN 55435

Ameriprise • Renewal by Andersen • General Mills • Medtronic • City of Saint Paul • Thermo King • Ingersol Rand

Serenade

How do you compete in the crowded cabinetry market? By offering not only a well-made product, but also a superior purchase experience. When developing their new manufacturing plant in Union, Pennsylvania, cabinet-maker ACPI overhauled their production and processes, virtually eliminating the delays, inaccurate orders and other customer service issues common to the industry. Their new brand needed to communicate

this sweeter customer experience. ACPI's marketing agency, Hanley Wood, tapped Pollywog to create the name.

BRAND STORY
Every high-end cabinetry company promises a well-crafted product. But you need more than that. You need to know that your order will be handled right the first time, every time. And that the whole process will go smoothly for you and your customers. We’ve reimagined cabinet manufacturing and service, because we believe your experience buying cabinets should be as beautiful as the cabinets themselves.

NAME
A serenade is often sung outdoors in the evening from one person to another whom they admire. This musical expression of appreciation connects well to the idea that the company values its customers and earnestly desires to make them happy. The name’s connection to a soothing melody complements the quiet beauty of these well-made cabinets.

Constellation

MMIC, the Midwest’s largest physician-owned insurer, restructured its corporation to become a mutual holding company, inviting like-minded insurers to band together as a network. Pollywog was asked to create a name that would communicate the benefits of joining the affiliation.

BRAND STORY
The network creates a unique whole from many individual parts and reflects the common vision shared

by its member companies.Together, each company has the scale, efficiencies, capital and support to better compete against large stock companies. They are better and brighter together.

NAME
A constellation is a recognizable group of stars in the night sky. Many of the most familiar constellations, such as the Big Dipper, include stars used for centuries for navigation–a subtle connection to how Constellation can provide direction to medical liability insurers in a time of turbulent market conditions.

Ritual

A maker of high-end field hockey equipment in Australia asked Pollywog to name his new company — which would be, in his words, “fanatically focused on design.”

BRAND STORY
Athletes can be a superstitious lot. They do certain things in a certain way, at a certain time. The right shin guard first, the left second. Always wear the lucky socks. Why? Because a deep belief in a competitive edge

helps them to win. Our client’s commitment to his design beliefs was equally fervent, and he envisioned handcrafted sticks and gear using luxury materials at a level of quality the industry had never seen.

NAME
Associated with spirituality, faith and fervor, Ritual is intense and mysterious. The religious connection is unique in the industry, commanding attention and immediately setting the brand apart from competitors while also connecting on a deep personal level with athletes.

RESULTS
The combination of the Ritual brand story and the company’s superior equipment provided a natural platform for endorsements by field hockey celebrity athletes. In ads and other media, a number of them not only praise the equipment’s superior performance but also describe their own personal pre-game rituals. By sharing their personal ritual, each new endorsing athlete adds another chapter to Ritual’s provocative brand story.

Beaningful

Neighborhood House is a nonprofit organization in Saint Paul, MN, that helps families with basic needs, such as education, multiple youth programs, and health and well-being—all free of charge. Neighborhood House is opening a coffee shop in the downtown business district which will not only provide a revenue stream to fund its programs, but will also offer employment opportunities for people just starting their

career.

BRAND STORY
You’re the kind of person who wants to have a positive impact on the world. Here’s a way to do that effortlessly every day. With every purchase at our shop, you support Neighborhood House, a nonprofit organization providing basic services and lifelong learning to people in need. You’re making a meaningful difference with every cup.

NAME

Alluding to the promise of feeling good by doing good, “Beaningful” is a portmanteau blending “bean” with “meaningful”. The juxtaposition of a tiny bean with the great big concept of meaningfulness makes the name surprising, whimsical and friendly.

Mojo

Stratasys, a leading manufacturer of 3D printers, contracted Pollywog to help them brand their important new product—the first professional-grade desktop 3D printer priced under $10,000. At this size and price point, 3D printing would now be within reach of small product design companies and high schools who need rapid prototyping for commercial and educational uses.

A 3D

printer takes a CAD drawing and turns it into a physical object made of plastic. Even intricate designs with moving parts—a bicycle chain or adjustable wrench, for example—can be transformed from a digital file to an actual working model. Our printer seems to create something out of nothing—almost like magic.

NAME
Mojo. It’s a charm or spell. Used more figuratively, mojo is personal magic, and often connected with masculine sex appeal. And because a whopping 94% of the 3D printer audience is male, a name that connects with both magic and masculinity was a perfect choice.

Castlewatch

A prominent Ameriprise financial advisory practice in Glendale, California sought to rebrand itself with a name suggesting steadfast protection of their clients’ interests.

BRAND STORY
While you are spending time with family and friends, we will be constantly safeguarding your financial well-being. We are alert to every detail — every potential issue or threat — and we handle it before it

can affect you. You can rest assured that we are watching out for whatever may come your way.

NAME
The name “Castlewatch” suggests watchmen along the parapet of a castle, diligently surveying the landscape for any approaching threats. The name is especially appropriate for a financial services firm with longevity and stability.

Kindest Cut

Animal welfare advocates agree: The best way to reduce the heartbreaking volume of animals euthanized by overcrowded shelters is to prevent unwanted litters.

But when times are tough, a lot of pet owners can’t afford to neuter their animals, which ultimately results in more unwanted litters. To address this problem, the Animal Humane Society (AHS), the leading animal welfare organization in the Midwest,

teamed up with a local veterinarian to introduce a subsidized spay/neuter service for low-income pet owners, delivered by way of two mobile surgical units. Pet owners can sterilize their dog, cat or rabbit for a fee ranging from $35-$100 — a substantial discount over regular veterinary costs.

AHS asked Pollywog to lead the naming of this new service.

BRAND STORY

Spaying or neutering your pet ensures it won't produce offspring that will be homeless — or worse, euthanized in a crowded shelter. Our spay/neuter service for low-income pet owners is made possible through generous donations by the community. Together, we can do what's kindest for all our pets.

NAME

"Kindest Cut," a twist on Shakespeare's famous "unkindest cut of all" phrase, alludes not only to surgery, but also to the community altruism that makes the service possible.

General Mills

General Mills is helping to address the hunger crisis with a program to secure millions of meals for needy families. It’s the corporation’s biggest charitable initiative since Box Tops for Education launched in 1996. Consumers find a code printed on packages of more than 25 General Mills brands, including Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Totinos pizza, Bisquick and Betty Crocker muffin mixes. Each code entered at the program’s

website provides five meals through Feeding America.

BRAND STORY
In a land of plenty, one in seven American families can’t regularly afford to eat. But together, we have the numbers to make a difference. You can provide five meals for a hungry family in your own town just by  purchasing specially marked General Mills products, then entering the code from the package at our website.

NAME
Working in tandem with Imagination Publishing, Pollywog led more than 30 General Mills team members through a process to name this important new program. “Outnumber Hunger” refers not only to the power of a collective effort, but also to the numbered code on the packages that are key to making it work.

RESULTS
Since 2011, Outnumber Hunger has helped Feeding America secure more than 40 million meals for local food banks.

Think Small

This Minnesota nonprofit had been known by the unwieldy name, Resources for Child Caring (RCC). Over its 40-year history, RCC had grown from an agency that trained child care providers into Minnesota’s leading voice for early learning, but their brand had not kept up.

BRAND STORY
In the organization’s own words: “We think much can and must be done to improve the quality of early childhood

experiences so children will thrive. We think learning experiences should adhere to best practices. That teachers should be skilled, knowledgeable, and engaged. That children need a safe, healthy, and child-friendly environment. And that stimulating activities should be balanced with appropriately structured routines. We think every child is unique, and each child’s situation is different. We think their success depends on the adults in their lives-parents, early childhood professionals, policymakers and other influential people-making the best choices for children. That’s why we Think Small.”

NAME
Conventional wisdom says that bigger is better, that we should all “think big” if we want to achieve our goals. The name “Think Small”, however, turns this idea upside down, stressing that the focus of our educational system ought to be on the littlest students, because investing in this age group will have the biggest payoff.

Fulcrum Health

The nation’s first chiropractic network, Chiropractic Care of Minnesota, Inc. (CCMI) was formed more than 30 years ago. In 2016 CCMI tapped Pollywog for a new name when the organization’s mission expanded beyond its original scope. Today, the nonprofit delivers managed care for many types of physical medicine providers and operates in several states. Equally important, the group provides thought leadership for insurers,

routinely demonstrating how innovative uses for physical medicine can help them reduce costs, achieve better outcomes and increase patient satisfaction.

BRAND STORY
There’s power in a healing touch. Whether a specialty is chiropractic, acupuncture, occupational therapy, speech therapy or massage therapy, we can show you how to leverage the strength of physical medicine by integrating it with traditional medicine, using it to maximum advantage.

NAME
A fulcrum is the support on which a lever pivots. Strong and stable, “fulcrum” suggests stability and the power to do more.

HOW THE CLIENT CONTINUED THE STORY
The brand was fully realized visually by Laura Bates/Strategy and Katherine Lamm/Design.

Naming of Creative Agency for Nonprofits

"I was most impressed by Pollywog’s commitment to excellence and strategy."

May - June 2019

Pollywog was hired for naming services. After research and consultation, the team crafted a list of potential names for the emerging business.

Denver, Colorado
Lauren Atherton
Owner, HeartSpark

While the brand name hasn’t launched yet, the results look promising. Internal feedback has been positive. The team at Pollywog can take innovative and creative ideas and turn them into clear concepts. Expect an experienced and strategic team that’s dedicated to understanding their clients.

I’m the owner and chief creative of a design studio that provides branding and design services for nonprofit organizations, foundations, and companies dedicated to social good around the nation.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pollywog?

I needed help shifting my business from an individual freelancer to a creative agency that’s worthy of attracting & serving large organizations. I tried for several months to rename my business, but it’s nearly impossible while running a business and trying to stay objective. I wanted to work with a naming agency that would approach my new business name with research and creativity, as well as capture the overall vision of my emerging business.

My goal was to create a new name for my creative agency.

A quick Google search revealed several naming agencies, and I landed on my top three options. I contacted each one, but Pollywog was the only one that had a definitive process to their naming strategy. After speaking with Devon (Founding Partner, Pollywog) on the phone, I could tell from her kind demeanor and experience that they were the perfect match for my business needs.

I thought I could name my own business, so I initially approached them for consulting work. After several months with no success, I knew that Pollywog and Devon were my only solution. We kicked off the project with legal paperwork, the Brand Essence form, and a deposit. The Brand Essence form forced me to analyze my business from an objective perspective, rather than a creative one. The questions were simple but effective.

After I completed the form, we had a consultation call to work through my answers. A week after the call, their team provided five naming options that were each a match for my business and its brand story. I provided feedback on each name and chose one to move forward with. Then I purchased the recommended URL’s and contacted my patent attorney to file the trademark.

I mostly communicated with Devon, but John (Founder, Pollywog) was present on my consultation call and final presentation.

If only I would’ve hired them sooner, I would’ve saved myself months of frustration. After one meeting with Pollywog, I felt like they boiled down all of my abstract thoughts into a series of focused statements that I could immediately start applying to my marketing strategy. Their strategy document and rating system were incredibly easy to understand, and their creative work was spot on.

I haven’t launched the new brand yet, but anticipate a great deal of success. My team is psyched about the new name and brand direction. I can’t wait to see how our clients react.

It was phenomenal watching Devon and John work together as a team to set the strategy for my new business name, making everything look easy. They’re professional, knowledgeable, and kind. Our calls were efficient, but also a lot of fun. Devon was communicative via email about their process and team progress. Our workflow seemed effortless. I had full confidence in Pollywog.

I was most impressed by Pollywog’s commitment to excellence and strategy. They’re not only creative but took the time to research and understand my industry and position in the market. Pollywog truly cared about our business. They had a vested interest in our success.

Pollywog exceeded every expectation I had about the naming process. They’re a lean team but have the experience and proficiency of a much larger creative agency.

Name Development and Rebranding for Launching Platform

"They offer impressive knowledge of metrics."

June 2019

Pollywog identified potential names for a rebranding project.

Calabasas, California
Kelli Ivie
Principal, KIC - K. Ivie Consulting

Their deliverables have received praise from the end client. Pollywog is an innovative and thoughtful partner who brings considerable expertise to their engagements. They continue to generate ideas until they’ve found the right solution.

I am the principal of a consumer goods product development and launch-to-market company. We work with product innovators to create their products and present their brands to buyers in the industry.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pollywog?

I engaged Pollywog to work with one of my clients to create new name possibilities to rebrand the product and company.

We wanted a list of potential usable names with descriptors, taglines, and stories.

I found them online, spoke with the principals, and knew it was the right fit all-around for the project.

They created a primary list of usable names and content and a secondary list of potential names for my client to review and choose from for rebranding.

We worked with the two main principals and experts on this project.

Our internal client is quite pleased and is on the road to rebranding. Pollywog provided exceptional work and innovation. Their work was extensive, thorough, and very creative.

Their communication is outstanding and their presentations and dialogue about the work are incredible. Their process is comprehensive, creative, and inclusive.

They offer impressive knowledge of metrics, along with their understanding of names and products and why they work. I am not only excited about this project and what they have brought to the table but excited for any other project that I can refer to them and work with them on in the future.

No, I’m completely satisfied.

Their pricing is competitive.

Brand Identity Dev for Financial Planning

"We felt the Pollywog team really listened to and understood us; they took the time to get to know us."

Feb. 2019 - Ongoing

Pollywog developed a name and brand identity via discovery and feedback sessions. After articulating the essence of the brand, they delivered naming options with supporting taglines and brand stories.

Andover, Massachusetts
CEO, Financial Planning Firm

Though the chosen name is still undergoing trademark approval, Pollywog managed a smooth collaboration. They excelled at expectation management and provided a detailed overview of the project from the outset. Their attentive approach allowed them to identify and articulate business values.

I’m the CEO of a financial planning firm. I provide financial advice to a broad range of clients.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pollywog?

The firm has grown over the years, and we decided to rebrand the practice with a new name and create a brand essence and story.

We wanted our name to better convey who we are and what we do. The rebranding was an opportunity to create a stronger team, new standards, and a new culture.

This vendor was highly recommended to us by a business partner. We did interview other vendors but decided to work with Pollywog.

We started the process by having an introductory WebEx video meeting with the Pollywog team. They presented who they are, what they do, and explained to us in detail how the naming and brand creation process works. We, in turn, told them about our firm, what we do, what we felt we lacked, and what we hoped to accomplish.

To develop our brand essence, Pollywog had us start by answering a series of questions. Once this was done, we went through several edits until we felt the brand essence clearly represented who we are. We then moved onto name generation, evaluation, and presentation. They walked us through each name option thoroughly, along with a creative tagline and brand story. We evaluated each name of its “wow” factor and talked through our options.

We worked directly with their creative director and design director.

We’re still awaiting final trademark approval of the new name.

The Pollywog team was very easy to work and communicate with. They were easily accessible and immediately responded to emails and/or questions. Everything about our engagement was clear, from what information they needed us to provide and their regular work processes to what deliverables we could expect.

We felt the Pollywog team really listened to and understood us; they took the time to get to know us. They had experience working with other financial advisory firms, so they knew the right questions to ask.

None that I can think of at this time. Once the trademark application is approved, we plan to work with them on logo creation.

Overall Score We enjoyed working with Pollywog. They made what we thought would be an overwhelming project much more manageable.
    We had no issue scheduling video meetings or presentations.
    We felt their pricing was competitive compared to other firms we interviewed.
    We felt they really understood us. They came up with several creative naming options, all which we felt would work for us.
    Yes, we would refer Pollywog. They were easy to work with, attentive, and delivered what we needed.

Brand & Name for a Nonprofit Coffee Shop

"The coffee shop has a terrific name that resonates with everyone who learns about it or visits."

Oct. 2018 - Jan. 2019

Pollywog led a branding and naming exercise for a coffee shop run by a social services organization. They also designed a logo and produced brand standards.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Char Mason
Owner, Mason Creative

Staff and customer feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Pollywog’s responsiveness and ability to produce implementable, on-time deliverables were hallmarks of their work. They accepted constructive input well but also brought creative ideas of their own to the table at a reasonable value.

I’m a board member for Neighborhood House, a social service agency in Saint Paul. I also own a business that plans events for major corporations and nonprofits.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pollywog?

Neighborhood House decided to open a coffee shop as a social enterprise that will provide on-the-job training to our constituents and additional revenue for the agency. We needed a brand, a name, and a logo for the coffee shop on a tight budget.

We wanted to name the coffee shop in a way that would immediately tell the customers that they were doing something good by making purchases there. We needed to pull on people's heartstrings and relate back to the Neighborhood House organization.

Pollywog was referred to us by another committee member. We looked at other firms, but none were as responsive or immediately committed to helping us. We also simply loved their website and the work they’d done for other companies, which sealed the deal.

The process began with a meeting with stakeholders. Devon (founding partner, Pollywog) collected information to inform the brand, such as brand promise, differentiator, and personality traits. They then refined the document and sent it back to us for approval. Pollywog presented six concepts for names, taglines, and brand stories to the group. They shared the results of their proprietary scoring process that evaluates names based on 17 traits.

After much discussion, the group settled on the name Beaningful. They then created two logo concepts, and we chose the one we liked best. They also created brand standards to help ensure consistency in how the brand is expressed on the website and signage.

We worked directly with Devon. She spearheaded the process, meetings, and writing. John (co-founder, Pollywog) worked on the logo and brand standards.

The coffee shop has a terrific name that resonates with everyone who learns about it or visits. The staff, board, and participants are thrilled with the look of the brand. The coffee shop is selling more and more each month.

The workflow was very effective. Devon was easy to work with and always on time with the deliverables. She’s so fun and a true professional. The whole project was done thoughtfully, on time, and under budget.

Pollywog comes to the table with massive amounts of agency and branding experience. They’ve worked on very large projects, yet they treated our little project as if we were as important. That is an excellent skill.

None come to mind at the moment.

Overall Score They're an excellent company.
    It was perfect.
    They were generous to our nonprofit budget.
    They offer top-notch creative strategy.
    I'm very willing to recommend them.

Naming for Cleaning Products Manufacturer

“They constantly kept in touch and had an exceptionally thorough process.”

Oct. - Nov. 2018

Working in tandem with a third-party discovery firm, Pollywog came up with 31 names for a cleaning product line. They tested the names across multiple countries and trademarks before delivering five options.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Customer Insights Lead, Large B2B Chemical Manufacturer

Internal stakeholders commended Pollywog for their transparency, agility, and rigorous testing. Despite the challenges of working with a B2B product, the team demonstrated clear creative talent and offered critical insights into trademarks. Their flexibility made them attractive partners.

We’re a large B2B chemical manufacturer that sells industrial cleaning products to a wide range of segments, including restaurants, hotels, and more. We also offer monthly consultation services. In my role, I serve as the head of customer insights for our St. Paul, Minnesota institutional division.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pollywog?

We had a line of laundry detergents that we used professionally around the world, but each product had a different, arbitrary name. There was no concrete reason behind the naming. As such, we hired Pollywog to help us understand how customers perceived our products across different communities and come up with potential names.

In the beginning, they brought on a third-party resource to handle the discovery work. This involved conducting extensive interviews with our global sales force and looking at how consumers thought about our product. They then delivered an excellent deck of potential positioning scenarios.

Using this information, Pollywog came up with 31 names grouped into five categories before going through rigorous brand tests. Their team then ran them through initial trademark, cultural, and relevance tests.

At the end of the process, they led us through a two-hour workshop to explain the pros and cons of each name, collecting our feedback in a well-structured way. The session concluded with a final discussion on our top five names.

I primarily worked Devon (Founding Partner, Pollywog), but she brought in a resource from an external firm to handle the discovery phase. There was also a third resource who worked behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Pollywog?

I found them through an online search and liked how incredibly nimble they were. Most naming companies sit inside of larger marketing agencies and sell their services as part of a package. However, Pollywog offered a more tailored solution that suited our needs.

On top of that, they were honest about their skill sets, telling us upfront that they would bring in a third party to handle the initial insights. The fact that Devon knew how to identify the perfect partner for the discovery/positioning work coupled with her flexibility made her an ideal option.

The naming work alone cost about $34,000, but we spent $68,000 in total.

Their work lasted from October–November 2018.

Pollywog came up with 31 names and tested them thoroughly against different screens. The trademark testing was particularly useful because it encompassed any company that used our names, regardless of whether or not they had a trademark.

How did Pollywog perform from a project management standpoint?

They constantly kept in touch and had an exceptionally thorough process. Their proposal mapped out exactly what they would do, and they followed it closely. Anytime we had a question, they were quick to answer, and they seamlessly managed our time.

I appreciated their flexibility and creativity. The project was about finding a name that meant something to our customers. In our case, this meant a name that struck a chord and was translatable across multiple countries. You have to be a great writer or strategic thinker to get to the heart of a B2B liquid chemistry product and have it resonate with people, and Pollywog did an excellent job.

Like any naming agency, Pollywog is well-versed in consumer branding for B2C products. However, working with B2B companies can be more difficult because we don’t have any consumer brands; rather, we were renaming our product line. As a result, I should have asked for fewer metaphorical names, which would have been better suited to B2C products.

They delivered very high-quality work.

Naming for Custom Replacement Window Manufacturer

“They were attentive to our needs and offered an integrated, streamlined, appropriate plan of action.”

Jun. - Nov. 2018

Pollywog helped with an iterative character naming initiative for a window manufacturer. The principal goal of the project was to improve the user experience for key audiences, both internally and externally.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Farmington, Minnesota
Christopher Raddatz
Creative Director, Renewal by Andersen

Though deployment is still underway and there are no solid metrics as yet, Pollywog was a proactive partner throughout the process. They met all requirements and had an intimate, consolidated approach.

We are a custom replacement window manufacturer, and the most trusted brand in window and patio doors nationwide. I am the creative director, and am in charge of all our consumer-facing marketing and internal literature.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pollywog?

We wanted to add clarity and organization to some of our consumer-facing brand characters. We are engaged in delivering a positive consumer experience through the lifecycle of each customer journey, so we created key characters that speak to different customer experiences. We engaged in various product initiatives, including producing and updating our offerings and a naming project for some of those characters.

We’re still in the midst of deploying the results of these projects, and are completing a kind of rolling integration. We don’t have any solid metrics as yet, but we hope to see an increase in sales, based on the quality of the new names.

How did Pollywog perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is top-notch; they’re very attentive and great communicators. They met all our requirements and were always well-prepared. We either leveraged technology for our discovery meetings and presentations, or we met over the phone or in person.

We had a high level of confidence in their abilities. They did everything they said they would and delivered high-quality options for us. They were attentive to our needs and offered an integrated, streamlined, appropriate plan of action. We got the intimate, consolidated process we wanted.

We really have no complaints for them. All their presentations and structure were great, and I have no recommendations for improvements. They did a great job.

I rarely give perfect marks, as there’s always room for improvement, but they did very well.

Naming for High Performance Computing Company

“They completed everything that was outlined in the scope and more.”

Sept. 2018

Pollywog created a list of seven new business names, a brand story, and a tagline befitting of a high-tech computing firm.

Marti Martindale
COO, SimpleRose Inc.

Although they were only asked to produce a few potential brand names, Pollywog went beyond the scope and developed an entirely new identity. With a practical schedule and years of branding expertise, their team completed the daunting task within only a few weeks.

I’m the COO of Simple Rose Inc., a high-performance computing startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pollywog?

Simple Rose Inc. wasn’t the most effective name for a company that provides cutting edge technology. We needed to find a company that could help us come up with a new name that reflects our innovative work.

Pollywog’s scope only required them to generate five names and a brand story and a company tagline for each name. They went beyond their specs and gave us seven names with brand stories that complemented our high-performance computing technology brand. Their team started the project with an hour-long interview to get a better understanding of our industry and the audience that we serve. They also thoroughly reviewed the branded materials we had previously created, saving us time. After defining our business goals and making sure they were in line with our understanding, they moved on to produce the branding deliverables. They assigned each of the seven names scores based on several of their own metrics, with the highest number being the most effective. Their metrics and process made sense to us and we used their ranking system to narrow the list down to three choices.

We worked closely with Devon Treadwell, one of Pollywog’s founders.

How did you come to work with Pollywog?

We found a dozen brand developers on Clutch.co, but we narrowed it down to six firms that met all of our criteria. Pollywog had the most straightforward sales pitch, and we were able to verify their credibility through their sophisticated website.

We spent about $8,000 on their services.

The project lasted for four weeks, starting in September 2018 and ending in October 2018.

We spent months trying to think of a new name that accurately fit our brand, getting increasingly frustrated and not making progress. Pollywog studied who we are and what we are doing and, based on what they learned from us, created an entirely new brand identity in only four weeks. Having them on board saved us a lot of time.

How did Pollywog perform from a project management standpoint?

We were worried that our long-distance partnership would cause complications, but regular phone conferences were sufficient enough to keep the project moving along. Their scheduling process is comprehensive and effective; when it was time to execute the plan, they completed everything that was outlined in the scope and more.

While their competitors made huge promises, Pollywog's approach was both comprehensive and creative. They proposed a realistic plan that made efficient use of our time and yielded results. Their years of branding experience was also very comforting.

I can’t think of any negative feedback that would be relevant to our experience with them.

Overall Score We set high expectations, and Pollywog effortlessly surpassed them.
    We received all of their deliverables well before the deadline.
    Their prices were very accommodating to our modest budget.
    All of our decision makers have unique preferences, but Pollywog was able to satisfy them all.
    I highly recommend their services.

Naming for Concierge Service

“My business wouldn't be where it is today, 11 years later, if it weren't for them.”

Sept. - Dec. 2007

Pollywog provided naming services, including a thorough discovery phase, some additional branding work, and legal guidance as needed.

Founder & Owner, Bumblebee Concierge

Pollywog came up with an effective name for the company on their first try. Highly attentive to client needs and thorough in their approach, their team was very easy to work with. Their efforts have had a significant impact on the company's bottom line over the long term.

I'm the founder and owner of Bumblebee Concierge, a personal assistant, concierge, and executive administrative service provider.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pollywog?

I engaged Pollywog to help me come up with the name for my company.

Pollywog conducted a discovery phase, getting to know my business, my goals, and brand. They then provided one round of name options for me to choose from, created a logo, and helped guide me in the process of trademarking the name I chose.

I worked directly with Devon (Founding Partner, Pollywog).

How did you come to work with Pollywog?

I found them through an online search and decided to reach out to them based on their previous work and reviews.

I spent over $20,000.

We worked together from September–December 2007.

They nailed the name on the first try. My business wouldn't be where it is today, 11 years later, if it weren't for them.

How did Pollywog perform from a project management standpoint?

They were fantastic–right on point with everything throughout the process. Devon was very organized, proactive, and communicative with me from start to finish.

They nailed the name to a T on the first round of options they provided, which had a lot to do with the fact that they took the time to get to know me and my brand very well. Their work has helped my business as it's evolved over the years–it's the best investment I've made, because my company wouldn't be on the map without its branding. I love it so much, I even have the logo tattooed on my leg.

No. I wish the process could be quicker, but I realize it takes some time.

Overall Score Their work is off the charts.
    Everything was delivered on time as promised, and they kept me in the loop throughout.
    Although it's a big investment, I've more than recouped the cost over the years.
    Their work exceeded expectations. They made me feel as though I was their only client.
    I'd trust them to perform well for any organization.

Naming for Physical Health Administrative Nonprofit

"They were committed to making sure our new name was the perfect fit for our business."

Feb. - Apr. 2016

Pollywog led a renaming effort to grow brand awareness outside a specific geography and industry segment. They instituted an iterative process based on initial research and presented the final choice stakeholders.

Shannon Lavin Vanjoske
Marketing Communications Manager, Fulcrum Health

Customers are no longer turned-off by an overly-specific name, which has allowed the business to grow. Pollywog’s process prioritized feedback and they handled a tight timeframe with grace. They were highly-responsive and participated in the naming reveal to internal decision-makers.

I serve as the Marketing Communications Manager at Fulcrum Health, a nonprofit that manages credentialed physical medicine networks.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pollywog?

The nonprofit's original name was Chiropractic Care of Minnesota, Inc., and we reached a point where our name was a barrier to new business opportunities. We do business outside of Minnesota and beyond chiropractic and we needed a name that wasn't so limiting in our potential customer's eyes.

They dove right in to understand what our needs were and walked us through several branding, key messaging, and situation analysis exercises. This helped us think beyond the surface and assess the true value we bring to our customers. They also helped us take a step back and assess where the company was and how we wanted it to be positioned for future growth. Through all of this, we created a core essence document that drove our key messaging, elevator pitch, and marketing materials.

We went through several rounds of naming presentations, refining the list and narrowing it down to our top choice. Then Pollywog participated in the naming presentation to our final decision-makers, the Board of Directors.

I work with Pollywog's co-founders, Devon and John, on the naming strategy process. Devon was my point-of-contact for day-to-day and project management.

How did you come to work with Pollywog?

I received repeat referrals for Pollywog from fellow marketing communications colleagues in the healthcare field. Our leadership team interviewed Pollywog, along with a few of their competitors in the naming space. While the other frontrunner pitched us an overly-ambitious proposal, Pollywog nailed it. We could tell they were trustworthy, dependable, and thorough in their design process.

We spent $28,800 with them.

We worked together from February until April 2016.

People love the name and we definitely saw it open doors for us as we expanded into other states and areas of business.

How did Pollywog perform from a project management standpoint?

Devon was very responsive, and, knowing we had a tight turnaround, there was no time to lag. We were tied at the hip for those couple months and everything was very organized. If we called with questions, she was always there to answer. I thought it was exceptional.

Our whole project, from start to finish, was about three months, which is really truncated. Pollywog did a great job pulling all of the pieces together and providing exceptional naming options during that period. It is clear they are experts in this area.

Their communication and project management service are also outstanding. We were impressed with their commitment to making sure our new name was the perfect fit.

Their pricing was reasonable and everything was up to par. I don’t know if I can say anything that I would recommend they change.

Overall Score It was a seamless process. Pollywog is an obvious leader in the naming space.
    We formed an efficient and strategic partnership in order to meet our truncated timeline.
    Pollywog offers an exceptional service at an affordable price.
    We are happy with the overall process and excited about out final product.

Brand Development for CX Consulting Firm

"Clients hear about our company and we are able to convey our services in a way that relates to them."

Aug. - Nov. 2010

Pollywog constructed three different ideas for a brand and chose the best version that aligned with the core values.

Patrick Dawson
Principal & Chief Strategist, CongaCX

Their team is full of creative and out-of-the-box thinkers who worked to find a niche market for the brand. Communication between the teams created a brand that is easy to market and that clients can easily interpret.

I am the founder and chief strategist for CongaCX, a CX consulting firm.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pollywog?

We hired Pollywog to create my company's brand.

We wanted to find the core values of our work to sell our services to clients.

I worked with two employees in a previous career and knew the quality and creativity of their work.

They followed their prescribed methodology to develop three potential brand names. We discussed the possibilities of all three, and I selected the one that I felt best suited the company.

I represented my company and we worked with two representatives from Pollywog.

Clients hear about our company and we are able to convey our services in a way that relates to them. Pollywog created a brand with a niche focus on alignment.

It was very easy to work with Pollywog because we were already accustomed to one another’s style. One of the things that separates Pollywog is respect for the client's acumen. It’s a collaborative environment and their marketing acumen and creative thinking are strong.

Their fresh and expertly-trained eyes took our project to another level that we would not achieve without their expertise.

Our project went flawlessly, I see no room for improvement.

Overall Score They are very creative thinkers.
    They adhered to the schedule throughout and the very deadline set.
    They are affordable for a start-up.
    The quality of their work was outstanding.
    I try to align open-minded customers with Pollywog so they can achieve the best results with the company.

Gold