We simplify lives through digital technology.

We make it happen. Whether it’s a large-scale web app for a Fortune 500 company, a mobile app for a startup, or a quick-turn consultation for an established firm, we’re proud to design, develop, and deliver captivating work. All while providing the perspective of a strategic partner.

$50,000

3530 N. Vancouver Ave, Ste 300
    Portland, OR 97227-1426
    + 1 503 847 9214
  • Planet Argon

Nike, Disney, American Express, SpendWell, AlphaClone, Contiki, Intel, Oregon State University, Screaming Circuits, McMenamins, Skoshbox, Meyer Memorial Trust, Kongregate, AppleGate

Custom Development for Food & Beverage Retailer

"I’ve never seen any firm work with clients the way they do."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Planet Argon replaced a desktop site and its static mobile counterpart with a single, responsive website. The project team then helped update the aesthetics to coincide with a rebranding effort and optimized the site’s UX.

Bridgewater, New Jersey
Digital Media Manager, Applegate

Transparency and budget/timeline management are strengths. Another highlight is Planet Argon’s unusual ability to convey complicated, technical details in an intelligible and relatable way.

I’m the digital media manager at Applegate, a natural and organic meat company. I oversee all the digital assets, including our website, digital coupons, and email marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Planet Argon?

We had been running a static mobile site and a desktop site for some time now, and it created a lot of redundancies. We hired Planet Argon to move us from two versions to one responsive site. At the same time, we were also undergoing a major rebranding, which meant updating our logos, our packaging, and our general feel. The third component was optimizing our website’s user experience in certain critical areas.

Planet Argon delivered the whole responsive site, as well as maintaining the integration of our third-party applications while keeping a cohesive look and feel. This included our native product locator, product locator widgets on our detail pages, our help center, and our product review platform. Our current site is static, so we worked with Planet Argon to create a streamlined, seamless product. They did a great job creating more dynamic fields. We turned some image fields into text fields so that we could have more control over them. The other major component was a style guide, which we asked them to produce for us so that we could reference it after the project was completed. The guide will help us keep the site cohesive stylistically on an ongoing basis. The whole team was comprised of a product manager, one to three frontend developers, two backend developers, one designer, and one design strategist.

How did you come to work with Planet Argon?

Our developer found them, actually. As soon as we spoke with them, we knew that we had chemistry. We selected them over other firms for a number of reasons, but one key reason was that they were flexible with our needs. They usually work with Bootstrap, but we wanted to stick with our current CMS structure, which is Foundation. They were great with letting us do that.

We started working with them in June of 2016. We flew a team out to meet them in Oregon before we got started. We’re currently in the final stages of the product. The bulk of the work is done, but we’re going to continue working with them throughout the year for any needs that arise.

They’ve been such a pleasure to work with. There was one critical staffing change during the middle of the project, but there was barely a bump in the road at all. They’re also really transparent about progress and budget. I really love working with them. I’ve worked with a lot of vendors in my time at Applegate, and I wish I had more like them. We’ve had a really good experience. I especially admire their commitment to their client’s experience.

How did Planet Argon perform from a project management standpoint?

We used a ticketing system through JIRA, so we were able to keep track of progress on sometimes as many as 230 separate ticket items at any given time. Every week, we got budget updates and progress reports. We met weekly as well to hammer out each ticket item.

What did you find most impressive about Planet Argon?

I’ve worked with developers in the past, and it’s not always a seamless experience. I found that Planet Argon had a unique blend of strong technical expertise coupled with strong customer service and interpersonal fluency. I’ve never seen any firm work with clients the way they do. They’re able to execute all the technical items, but then also go through and communicate what they’re doing to someone like me who doesn’t have the technical knowledge they do. They also have people with cross-functional skills. Their lead graphic designer has years of development experience, so he was able to provide guidance about decisions we were making that weren’t in our best interest. For instance, not choosing a particular style that would limit us down the road or cause potential issues. The team really had to train some of us on responsive design and creative treatments and walk us through the backend process. They did a great job communicating effectively.

Are there any areas Planet Argon could improve?

I will say that we spent too much time in the initial creative exploration process. We came in having done our own wireframes and design work, so we knew what we wanted for the most part, but we opened the door for them to spend a lot of time in that exploratory stage. That pushed back our timelines—we initially planned to launch at end of December, but we pushed into February. It also meant that we overshot our internal budget forecasting a bit. I will say that we opened the door for this exploration initially. I think it was a learning curve for all who were involved, as the ultimate outcome resulted in a beautiful product—a fusion of our initial designs and a smarter UX approach.

We planned on being wrapped up by December, but we needed more time internally as well as with them.
    I think the Planet Argon team is a truly unique group. I would recommend them to anyone with a massive project to complete.

Long Term Dev Engagement for Real Estate Tech Firm

"They're really top-notch as far as communication is concerned."

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Planet Argon maintains an existing database designed to manage real estate. They also replicated an e-commerce platform meant to market/sell vacant land; and it evolves as the business grows.

Portland, Oregon
Vice President

Assigned developers are more qualified and reliable than any of those hired from other suppliers. Clients can expect weekly progress reports and meticulously detailed documentation, which helps prevent project derailment.

We run a real estate e-commerce business that sells vacant land. I’m the vice president.

What challenge were you trying to address with Planet Argon?

We had an existing Ruby on Rails backend and we had been struggling to find new, experienced Ruby developers to work on it. We had our own internal developer, and then after about 2 months, we let our employee go. Instead of getting a contractor or hiring another Ruby developer internally, we decided to try an agency for our ongoing development.

Behind that website, we have an enormous backend that populates our website but it also runs workflows for a lot of different things. They have made a lot of improvements and upgrades to that system. One big project they did was a customer preference center. Customers would get an email every time a new property is marked ready, which is a feature we didn’t have before. Another big project that they did was moving our whole frontend onto Rails from WordPress. Now, we are able to have more flexibility with our frontend. They dealt with the problems in the legacy backend and they’ve done a great job of navigating it. They also upgraded our versions of Rails and Bootstrap. They have made sure the whole system is in better shape. There are staging and testing processes that we didn’t have before.

We have an assigned project manager. We’ve always had between 2–3 developers and a frontend person occasionally. That’s 2–3 backend developers that are familiar with our system. When we have a frontend need, a frontend person will jump in. We are mostly interacting with 1–2 points of contact.

How did you come to work with Planet Argon?

They were one of multiple possible partners that we approached and considered. I found them online and they happened to be local to us. It wasn’t a necessity to be local, but they were. I liked the vetting process with them. They had been around a while so they weren’t here today, gone tomorrow. I also liked that they employ their developers. It wasn’t one guy that said he had an agency and then he hires out a bunch of contractors. It was a real agency where they have all their developers on their payroll. To me, that’s a sign of a successful agency, and that was one of the reasons I chose them. It was the best fit for us.

How much have you invested with Planet Argon?

We’ve spent at least $150,000 on their services. It was slow at first; we were starting with a monthly retainer that was small. We’ve done both retainer and project work with them, and we’ve done some projects alongside our retainer. I feel like they do tackle things to be as efficient with your budget as possible.

It’s been over two years since we began. We’ve been working with them every month with a steady retainer.

I’m sure someone else could have done some of it, but I feel like they are very efficient. They are on top of things.

How did Planet Argon perform from a project management standpoint?

They do weekly progress reports and set up JIRA for communication. I’ve worked with other agencies that are not as attentive where stuff just rolls week to week but nothing really gets done. As far as making real progress, they are way more on top of it compared to other agencies that I’ve used. They are checking things off and getting through tickets instead of working on a lot of things without getting anything finished. In retainer work, sometimes a lot can happen but not a lot gets done. That’s one area where they stand out—they can actually get something finished.

What did you most impressive about Planet Argon?

They're really top-notch as far as communication is concerned. Like I said, in my experience, I’ve had poor agency work that is not as defined and specific. They follow through and document everything, meticulously. I’ve appreciated the reporting and follow-through.

Are there any areas Planet Argon could improve?

None. I don’t have any issues.