Design. Build. Launch.

Like any great team, ours is full of passionate people. Everyone brings their unique set of multi-disciplinary skills to help craft every project from the ground up.  We have16 years of experience as a solid, delivery-driven, development company. Through blood, sweat, and tears, we have have mapped out the possible problems ahead. We are here to help navigate the potholes and hiccups, providing solutions before they become problems.

Think of us as your app’s life coach, here to make sure it reaches its full potential. You have the vision and we have the road map, LETS DRIVE!

1998
Irvine, CA
  • PhD Labs
    9281 Research Dr.
    Irvine, CA 92618
    949.214.4003

Bank of America, Red Cross, Henkel International, Experian Interactive, Life.Church, Motion Picture Industry, PGA of America, SnapMD, Jim Henson Company, Rackspace, University Frames, Quiksilver, Transamerica, Jostens, Caltrop, J2 Global

myRisk iOS/Android App

The newly upgraded Myriad myRisk mobile app is a quick and accurate reference appropriately used by Healthcare professionals. The simple and inviting user-interface delivers clinically actionable data impacting inherited risks for 8 primary cancers, 28 genes and 20 syndromes. The app features an incredibly detailed overview on clinical material associated with Myriad’s myRisk hereditary cancer test.

The free app is loaded with visually stunning graphics and guidelines based on a number of resources. The sleek interface allows for convenient and fast navigation; get anywhere in just three clicks. Informative videos are available for both patients and providers, and what used to be in 4 to 5 books is now consolidated into one, perfectly designed application. Optimize your research with comprehensive cancer risk and medical management guidelines all at your fingertips.

Snap.MD - Telemedicine Responsive App

The SnapMD Connected Care telemedicine platform allows providers to extend their reach of care by leveraging secure one-on-one live video, audio and text message consultations between ambulatory patients and their primary care and specialty care physicians. Our SaaS solution is a robust cloud based HIPAA and HITECH compliant communications platform developed to enable healthcare providers to directly engage patients remotely in a “virtual care” environment.

Lit - iOS App

We’ve come up with an engaging design and concept strategy for the ultimate party animal app by teaming up with Lit App, Inc. What started out on a college campus on the east coast is now growing into a hot spot for parties. LIT is currently in beta and is available to download now in the App Store for iOS devices. LIT is slowly making its way across different campuses, and now you can sign your campus up today!

Find the hottest venues in your area and maximize your night. LIT uses real-time user feedback and geolocation to accurately show you parties in your area. Simply create an account and start receiving notifications to find out where all of your friends are raging. Experience the reach LIT had on Rutgers campus during LIT’s launch event.

LIT is effortlessly fun to use, entirely user friendly, the layout is smooth and the display is a riot.

Connect with other partiers to see what parties are on fire, get a detailed breakdown of each party and find out...

Minglrr - iOS App

Connect, Chat and Mingle with people of your similar cultural background and faith. You can search for people right near your location, or all over the country. Finally, a matchmaking app with a little bit of culture. Get matched with people of similar faith and ethnic backgrounds, and let things move at your own pace. Express yourself and get to know others like you.

TradeOnly - iOS App for iPad

PhD Labs built a state of the art ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) app that allowed its users to literally manage their entire business from the road. Our client challenged us to design a full featured ERP system that could function properly within the limited screen real estate of an iPad. We met that challenge full force and designed the most beautiful and elegant ERP tablet application on the market. Long live the road warrior.

IronRide - iOS/Android App

Meet, Connect & Ride. IronRide is the first mobile community to offer bikers the ability to build a street profile and share all things chop or hog. Designed by Harley Davidson riders for motorcycle enthusiasts everywhere. Ironride is a must for on-the-go bikers looking to share favorite rides, pictures, and more. Venture into the Ironride community.

FEATURES

• Find and create connections
  • Snap and post pictures
  • Create private rides and invite friends
  • Pin your favorite spots along the way
  • Search ride directory to find best routes and pit stops with turn by turn navigation

Hashcam - iOS App

Hashcam is a photo challenge game based on hashtags. Whether you’re looking to vote on a photo, create your own private challenge, or join an existing challenge, we promise you’ll love it! You can vote for or against any photo in a challenge and see how the world rates your creative hashtags and pics. By creating your own challenge (private or public), you can see what people think of your #greatidea and allow them to contribute their own take on that #greatidea.

University Frames - Ecommerce Application

University Frames represents the finest frames in America to college and university bookstores throughout the USA.  PhD Labs delivered a fully custom eCommerce solution with customer fullfillment and client management system.

App Development for Re-released Social Calendar

"They were able to start the project as soon as I needed, and the cost was right."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Moving on from a previous development team, PhD Labs stepped in to take the prototype of this social calendar app to market. The project is in-process but the app is to be delivered on iOS & Android.

Orange County, California
Linda Frank
Founder, Viralocity Software

The app is near ready to test so there aren't metrics available yet. However, on a qualitative side, the client is impressed with the app design and highlights PhD's ability to deliver under tight timelines.

I’m the president of a software company. We’re the creators of Heyoo, which is in development right now for its second version. I’ve come up with a new concept for life organization and created a product that is a social type of calendar. We’ve eliminated email, and it runs almost like Facebook. You can look up anyone in the world and invite them to calendar and plan schedules. We’ve incorporated a new feature, which I can’t talk about until it’s released, but it’s going to revolutionize the way people look at calendaring. PhD Labs has been an important part in making this happen for us.

What challenge were you trying to address with PhD Labs?

We needed a team to take over the development. We already had our prototype built for version 2, but I was looking for a team that was strong in iOS and Android and able to get us to market a little faster. I ran into snags with our other development team, as they were slower and couldn’t pull it off as well as I needed. PhD Labs was pretty strong, and they’ve just been phenomenal in timelines for us.

We haven’t had anything crazy when it comes to the technical portion. When we were filing the round of non-provisional patents, the development team was able to speak to my patent attorneys, give input, and look at our draft before we finalized. On the technical side, PhD Labs understands the technology of what I’m trying to accomplish. They were able to dive right in without many questions and start development.

The team at PhD Labs provided UX design, backend, and frontend development. Our backend developer was the one who really expedited the project by getting it all done quickly, so our frontend iOS guy could jump on and start coding. It went very smoothly.

How did you come to work with PhD Labs?

I found them by researching on the internet. I needed someone local, in Orange County, California. I didn’t want to go out of state, and I definitely didn’t want to go overseas. I interviewed four development companies, and PhD Labs was the one that ticked all the boxes. They’re local, and they have the team size I needed. They were able to start the project as soon as I needed, and the cost was right. It’s been a very good experience with them.

How much have you invested with PhD Labs?

We’re paying in stages as the project goes on, and it’ll be anywhere from $200,000 to $235,000. We’ve paid $150,000 so far.

We had our kickoff meeting at the end of December 2016. I met with PhD Labs a couple of times before that to go over the vision, walk through the prototype, and finalize screens. Their development team started work on the 2nd or 3rd week of January, and they’ve got probably more than half of the software done already, which is phenomenal. We’re doing an iOS and Android version of the app first, and then we might add a web portion on after. We’re looking at a launch date in the first week of May.

We’ve had one test release so far. It looks very nice, and we’ll have another one soon. Right now, everything looks very clean, and it’s working. We haven’t released anything to anyone yet on test flight. We’re keeping it very secretive, as we have two new features that will be launched. I’m the only one seeing it right now. We’ll bring on other test users closer to the end of April.

How did PhD Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We have standup meetings once a week. We started out at twice a week, but that wasn’t necessary because I’m not a picky person. I’ve just been letting PhD Labs do their job. Every Wednesday I have a meeting with the project manager, and maybe the UX/UI guy. I get updates constantly. If I email them with a question, they get back to me within a few hours. The communication is phenomenal. Email is our first choice to communicate, and then we have calls on Wednesdays.

What did you find most impressive about PhD Labs?

I think the communication is definitely a plus. The thing I’m most impressed with is timelines; how fast they’re getting this product out. They knew it was very important for me, as I’ve got people waiting. They stepped it up with timelines.

Are there any areas PhD Labs could improve?

It’s nice that I had something to compare it to, from the first development group I had hired for version one. I got my feet wet with that, and I knew what I didn’t want. When we met with PhD Labs, I expressed all those concerns to them, and they literally blew it out of the water. They exceeded my expectation for this next build. I don’t think there’s anything else I could ask, other than not having to pay for it until the end. Paying along the way is tough because you don't see the product, and you’re paying a lot of money. It’s nice when you finally see it coming alive because then your dollar value goes toward that. I think everything has gone extremely smooth on this second version.

When working with the project manager on the first version, they showed me screenshots along the way. We storyboarded it and did the wireframes. As they released things for testing themselves, I didn’t get to see any of that. I didn’t get to test it along the way. In the end, the app went live, and there were tons of bugs. The way the platform flowed wasn’t what I wanted. The dev team said they couldn’t go back and change it without charging me more. I was disappointed with the outcome in certain ways.

With PhD Labs, I’m a part of it. When they do a release, I get to see it first. If there’s a problem, we can fix it right away. When you’re expressing your vision to someone, and they’re not communicating that to the team in the right way, it’s going to cost you time and money to fix it. I like that I’m part of their team, and they let me see the progress as we go. Once we finally update this in the App Store and Google Play, it is going to be my vision, and that’s huge.

Overall Score I’ve had no complaints at all.
    PhD Labs' deliverables so far have been very timely.
    The cost is fantastic for what I’m getting. We did get other bids, and PhD Labs came in very reasonable. They were also negotiable with me. They worked with me and listened, and they brought their cost down for me.
    The caliber of the development team they’re using is top-notch. We haven’t finished yet, so I don’t want to give them a five, just in case something happens.

App Development for Bartending Social Network

"They’re easy to talk to, and they’re open to input."

June 2016 - Ongoing

PhD Labs is currently building a bartending-focused app for iOS. After it’s launched, the client plans to build an Android version and market the app utilizing Phd Labs' services.

Luis Arida
Co-Founder, Tending

This client, like others, spotlights Phd Labs' upfront crash course for startups they term "app camp". This planning process sets the stage for improved project collaboration, communication, inclusivity, and success.

I am the co-founder of the company and app Tending, a social networking app for bartenders.

What challenge were you trying to address with PhD Labs?

I hired PhD Labs to build the app from scratch because I don't have any developers on my side.

PhD Labs is currently building the app for iOS. After it’s launched, they’re also going to build an Android version of it and take on the marketing for us as well. They’re transitioning their business to more of an incubator model, which will include a marketing component.

Essentially the app is a way for bartenders to connect with their regulars. The bartending industry has a lot of turnover and attrition. With this app, a bartender can build their business and take their clientele wherever they go. On the customer side, bar patrons can use the app to find great bartenders in a specific area. Bartenders can develop a following so that patrons follow their favorite bartenders. Bartenders can check into work and send notifications to their followers like, “I just started my shift,” “Here’s the drink special,” or “If you come in the next hour, margaritas are a dollar off.”

How did you come to work with PhD Labs?

I found PhD Labs after doing some research online about a year ago. I might have found them on Clutch.co, I can't remember. I reached out to several app developers in California and one in Canada. I was trying to find the right fit for the project. After I had finished my research, I decided to look at one more company, PhD Labs. When I met with them, they were a complete match for me, culture-wise. Their executive producer and I clicked right away, and I knew they were the right fit.

How much have you invested with PhD Labs?

I invested about $90,000 into PhD Labs for the app alone.

I started working with PhD Labs in June 2016.

How did PhD Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

PhD Labs set a lot of two-week sprints that included details on what they expected to get done in that time, and for the most part, they hit every mark. A couple of deadlines were missed by a little bit, but that wasn’t necessarily their fault. As an owner and founder, I understand there are going to be complications, and timelines may not be hit every time. PhD Labs was communicative every time they had issues, so it was never a problem.

What did you find most impressive about PhD Labs?

I was most impressed by PhD Labs’ collaboration, communication, and inclusivity. They’re easy to talk to, and they’re open to input. We began the project with what they call an app camp, where we spent a whole day mapping out what we wanted to do with the app regarding the layout. That whole process was great. PhD Labs' UX [user experience] designer, Jason Martinez, is amazing and a real genius regarding the understanding of what the UX should be. David Ray [Product Designer, PhD Labs] is really artistic and another great collaborator. They all seem to be artistic-minded and creative, and I appreciated that.

Are there any areas PhD Labs could improve?

The only thing I can think of that PhD Labs could improve involves asking for the financials and breakdowns of costs, why they cost what they do, and getting the billing done in a timely manner. Part of that has been our fault too; PhD Labs would bill us on time, but then we wouldn't be ready to pay a certain part of the bill. I think both sides could have done better on the financial part of the project.

Overall Score PhD Labs has been great all the way through.
    The app hasn't been launched yet. I wanted it to be out by now, but I know there have been issues and a couple of missed deadlines. It’s hard to blame PhD Labs for those.

App Development for Landscaping App Startup

"They understand app programming on another level completely."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

PhD Labs is handling the entire development of this app that will work to solve problems in the residential landscaping industry. This project and partnership are still in process.

1–10 Employees

Sandy, Utah
Chris Holt
Founder, Scapegoat App

The project management techniques, Phd Labs' team members, and their programming acumen are highlights for the client in this ongoing partnership.

I'm venturing into the landscaping industry. I live in Sandy Utah and my company is small for now. The landscaping industry is huge though and produced about 78 billion dollars in 2016. I believe Scapegoat will up that number. We are mainly targeting residential landscaping, property maintenance, and snow removal while bringing the industry up to date.

I am the founder and managing member of Scapegoat. Right now, my responsibilities are acquiring funding, web design, structuring the core business, and finding possible partners.

What challenge were you trying to address with PhD Labs?

My challenge was to create something new that solved multiple problems in the residential landscaping industry.

I saw the opportunity to solve that problem with a mobile application that makes the whole hiring and paying process much simpler, quicker, and more fun. My target market is homeowners and property managers that don’t have time to maintain their yard or yards and don’t have the time to meet landscapers for the arduous bid process.

My solution was a simple mobile app called Scapegoat. PhD Labs is handling the entire development of the app and it is still in process.

How did you come to work with PhD Labs?

I think PhD Labs was the fifth app developer I talked to and they were by far the most impressive. They specialize in startup companies and they were willing to help me realize my vision.

The estimated time for completion was four months.

So far, I am totally impressed with PhD Labs. They understand app programming on another level completely. The staff members excel at their jobs and I have been nothing but excited about working with them. Their design process is called “app camp”, and it helps people like me that aren't tech geniuses to fully see the scope of the process, including every button and menu it will need, and so many other things that you don't think of unless you are a pro.

What did you find most impressive about PhD Labs?

They have lived up to everything they said they would do and then some. I can't wait to keep working with them as the app keeps growing.

Overall Score They easily deserve a ten.
    They have always been on time and they work around my schedule.
    So far, they have been very up front on all costs and stayed on target.
    A ten for sure. The work is amazing.
    I have already referred people to them.

Mobile Development for Cloud Services Company

"My team is very satisfied with the work and end product from PhD Labs."

PhD Labs refreshed the UI of an existing website. They created mockups and corresponding HTML code for all redesign screens and produced responsive UI designs for tablet users.

Sr. Product Manager, Cloud Service Firm

The new design is visually attractive and easy to use. PhD Labs is an experienced, talented UI/UX team that offers innovative ideas and delivers on promises and expectations. They excel at building on initial concepts and creating an open dialogue to encourage client engagement.

We are a cloud services and digital media company offering several consumer and business applications. My role is senior product manager for the corporate application we offer.

We needed PhD Labs to provide a fresh UI [user interface] design for part of the corporate application. We wanted the end customers to have something that was easy to use and attractive.

PhD Labs was hired to create a new look and feel for our application and provide the HTML code for the redesign as well. So, there was a major development aspect to the engagement as well.

Other services included in this project were the delivery of responsive UI designs and HTML code to service our tablet user customers. PhD provided mockups for all redesign screens and all of the corresponding HTML code.

My team is very satisfied with the work and end product from PhD Labs. They have a solid UI/UX [user experience] team that brings innovative ideas to the table and delivers on promises and expectations. I particularly like how the PhD team builds on your initial concepts and creates an open dialogue to ensure that you are part of the process.

My only small critique involves project schedule. They were generally on time but did deliver a few elements a week or two past the deadline. These delayed items didn't impact the success of the project.

Web Development & Social Media Work for Family Restaurant

"They’re really passionate about what they do."

PhD Labs began work by building a website and developing an app. The team ultimately redesigned the website for mobile platforms and now manages all social media accounts and marketing.

Manager, Family Restaurant & Bar

PhD Labs excels in responsiveness, creativity, and enthusiasm. The agency boasts a highly skilled staff that is fully committed to projects and they are constantly improving, especially in their communication.

Please describe the restaurant and your role.

We’re an American-type bar and grill. We try to go for a hometown feel and really connect with our community. We have another restaurant that we’ve had for 20 years; it’s a ‘50s-style diner that has kind of that cheers atmosphere. When we opened the restaurant here three and a half years ago, the goal was to create that same kind of feeling but broaden it into a different direction, theme, and style restaurant. It’s larger in capacity than the diner, but that’s kind of the goal. I am the manager here, and responsible for our mobile outreach efforts and web site marketing.

Can you talk about how you selected PhD Labs to work with in the first place?

About three and a half years ago, social media was definitely not talked about as much as it is today. One of their resources came in a couple of times and said, “Hey, I feel like this is really important, and we’d really like to help you out.” We got to discussing things a little bit, and got to know each other and kind of going off with the relationship that we kind of had forged just pretty quickly, I said yes.

We’d talked about a variety of things that we wanted to work on, and I checked some of their references on what they have been doing, and the direction that they wanted to go with as a company. We kind of put together a program, so to speak because there are some industries out there where your website or social doesn’t need to be too managed, but definitely in my industry it’s something that you need to be constantly on top of. There’s a little bit more attention to detail, and a little bit more managing that goes on, and that’s something that they offered that a lot of other people say they do, but I don’t think they follow through with.

Can you talk about more specifically about the scope of their work? Was it like website building?

We first launched the website, a preliminary one, just to get us up and running while we were building the bigger frame. We had talked about building an app for the restaurant, and we did build one, but seeing that website design had changed in the last three years.

Now, we’re switching it up, we got the app to maintain it on a financial standpoint. For me, it’s just not as cost effective as changing to a mobile website platform. It allows me a lot more functionality at a fraction of the cost. We actually closed down the app, and then we actually currently are in the redesign of a new website for us right now to try to change up, refresh the look, and relaunch it to give people a lot more of that functionality. As for social, we do monthly meetings, and we do weekly meetings. Weekly meetings are pretty quick. It’s just kind of a synopsis of what we want to achieve for the week: Is there anything special going on, or is there anything that you guys shouldn’t do? Like, obviously don’t promote something that I’m going to run out of or that isn’t cost effective for me. We also meet monthly to cover the larger game plan on any type of special events or functions that we may have going on or holidays that we may have going on, things of that nature. We also host a fantasy football league that gets tied into social media.

We also do a huge St. Patrick’s Day celebration that we tie into social media. We have, in previous years, done Christmas parties. Anything that we can try to get people built around interacting online is what we try to do.

Can you give me a general sense of the size of their initiative with the cost estimate?

Everything obviously is priced for what it is that I want to do, then they kind of give me a breakdown, and we move forward with that. Some items you can kind of go on the cheap end, and maybe get for a couple thousand dollars. I think that, now, if I was a new customer coming on board, they would dissuade me of that kind of price point. I don’t think that’s where they really want to focus their energy on, and I understand that. I think that, since I’m an existing client and they enjoy doing business with me, they’re probably a lot more flexible on that. I know that the new revision website is probably going to be since it’s going to have a mobile platform, and it’s going to have a few other options that we’re going to try to do, it’s going to be in the $5,000 to $8,000 dollar range. Social media is kind of an ongoing contract. It’s how much attention I want us to spend every month, and how much advertising dollars I want to put on it. If I don't have the marketing dollars this month or I’m not going to have them in a couple of months, I can pull back a little bit during this time, and maybe spend a little bit more on the bigger events or on slower months when we need to push to try to really drive people and sales.

December is a really busy month for me, so being online and spending a lot of money socially is probably not the best use of my dollars. Whereas, come January and February, when my sales drop tremendously, that’s a better time. We kind of pull back in December, and then ramp back up in January. You know, working with them for as long as I have, it gave me a lot of that flexibility. I know social is not their main driving force and not something that they’re primarily advertising that they work on right now. It does take a little bit more time, but they’re definitely good at it.

Could you assess their performance?

I think they’ve been great. You know as well as I do that there are glitches in programs, there are problems in code, and there are all kinds of things that pop up that need to be addressed, and I think that they do as good of a job as anyone else. I can’t expect them to have it fixed immediately, but I definitely know that they’re on the ball doing it. I know we have a variety of different ways that we communicate with each other. They definitely are on the ball, and responding back to me on what’s going on, and when they are going to try to get it fixed. We definitely set a date and time on all of their tasks. I would say that they’re excellent on that end of their service.

Is there anything else unique or special about them?

I think that the last couple of years they’ve really been able to bring on a few individuals that are pretty creative. I’ve been able to sit down and talk about some of the projects they’re working on. I think that probably the two biggest things I’d say is that they’re really passionate about what they do, and I think that’s important just because it’s hard to find people that actually are passionate about what they do and I think you can see that in the work, and the quality that comes out of people. I think the other thing is they’ve been able to hire the last couple of years a couple of really talented people that have great fun imaginations, and have that same drive for passion in what they do. It’s hard maybe to instill passion on a project that’s not your own, and I think they’ve been able to find a couple of core people in their team that can do that.

Is there anything that you might suggest for them to improve or something you might do differently looking back?

That’s a good question. I don’t know if I would definitely say anything they need to improve on. I know that they have improved on some areas. Communication was one, but now they’re so on top of it that it’s almost not an issue anymore. That was something that they even admitted. That was maybe multipronged in the sense of just talking to me about how long it was going to take for a project to be completed. They’ve streamlined that process, and now there’s a date, and it’s usually done on that date, if not before. Their communication has become much better. That has definitely changed over the three years of working with them.

I’ve priced other people, and it’s always an add-on, add-on, add-on, and the next thing you know, it would have been at the same price.
    I do all the time. I have a stack of their business cards I hand out. When someone talks to me about needing some type of service...even just general software development, they’re the only people I hand out.

Mobile App Development for Medical Practice

"From the beginning I felt like I had a very good interaction."

PhD Labs is building the MVP for an app. The team analyzed and researched the app before proposing their solution.

Owner & Practitioner, Medical Practice

PhD Labs is a qualified team that generates high levels of productivity, professionalism, and product success. They provide personable customer service and streamlined, responsive communication. The team’s feedback has been invaluable to the project and they welcome an interactive partnership.

Please describe your company.

I don’t want to reveal proprietary information, but I have PhD Labs working on an app for my company.

What is your role and responsibilities?

[I am the] president and owner of my company.

What was your goal for working with PhD Labs?

I had an idea, and don’t have much IT [information technology] background, except as a user and with my family as well. We came up with an idea. I approached PhD Labs and presented it to them. They analyzed it in a short time, did some extensive background, gave me their analysis, and made a proposal if I wanted to proceed. I decided to proceed, and they’ve been great. I’ve received weekly updates from the project manager. I felt their responses have been very professional, and they’ve had good feedback themselves on suggestions to make it more successful.

It’s currently a six-figure project.

When will the work be completed, or is it ongoing?

I hope the initial viable product will be launched in the next six months. We can make some modifications as needed, and they’ve been very good on quickly making some adaptations as necessary. Then, there will be ongoing updates and evolution of the product.

I think their value is that they seem very productive, successful, and qualified. Yet, they haven’t grown too big, too quickly. I still have a good personal relationship with them, where I can pick up the phone, text, or email them anytime, and I get a quick response. With some companies, I feel like I’m just a number, and I don’t get good feedback. With them, from the beginning I felt like I had a very good interaction. I trusted them, and I feel like any questions, comments, or issues I have, I can reach them easily and get their response quickly. I’m not just a number in the queue, waiting for some attention.

That’s a great question. So far, it’s all been positive. Of course, having an exciting idea, I get impatient, so I’d like it to be faster than six months. I think six months is pretty quick, especially from the research I’ve done and talked to other companies before I signed with them. I could be quicker, I guess, but I know good work takes time, so I accept the six months. So far, I really don’t have any criticism, except could it be done faster.

So far, there haven’t been any surprise costs or additions. It’s not like I’m adding a bathroom to my house and every week, they give me a higher estimate. That has not happened, so I’m happy with that.
    I’d recommend them highly. I’d want to keep them to myself, and wouldn’t want them busy working on other people’s projects.

App Development for Mobile Startup

"Mobile is a strong space for them."

0.0

PhD Labs is collaborating on the development of an initial product and the evaluation of a second. The team contributes mobile app development, consulting, and website development.

Boston Metro Area
COO, Mobile Startup

PhD Labs is professional and technically skilled, consistently delivering impressive results. The agency understands the intricacies of their projects and is particularly adept at consulting in the early stages of design.

We’re a new startup company. We’re self-funded. We’re building mobile apps that design a new way to educate people.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the chief operating officer.

What was your goal for working with PhD Labs?

Our aim is to build our first product successfully. We’re also evaluating a second product with them. Our first product deals with helping to create balance to the addiction that kids have with the Internet.

It involved mobile app development and consulting. They’re also involved in our website development.

What was your process for selecting PhD Labs with which to work?

We found them doing some Web research and compared their presence on Clutch to some other online sources.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative in dollar terms or a personnel work-hour figure?

That's confidential.

When was the work completed?

It’s ongoing.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It’s a little early to have metrics. We’re doing some planning to be able to capture comments and feedback prior to launch. We have a prestigious PR [public relations] agency taking us to market.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

We are extremely satisfied. Other agencies we use are very impressed with the professionalism of PhD Labs.

Is there anything unique or special about PhD Labs that really makes them stand out compared to other online marketing companies?

They do a great job of consulting in terms of the early design work. Mobile is a strong space for them. They are very strong with the initial design stages. They call it an app camp where they take the idea and build around it and agree what the minimum target is in order to go to market.

What advice would you give to future clients of theirs?

Take advantage of their design skills and clearly understand the product that you want to build.

This is the first project that we have ever developed using agile development methodology. We’re more accustomed to traditional development styles. We’re still sorting out the pros and cons of the different approaches.

• N/A Scheduling

Web App Development for German Consumer Product Company

"I’ve had nothing but good experiences so far."

PhD Labs developed employee training and customer-facing eCommerce Web apps. The agency also provides enhancements on a regular basis and remains available for future development.

10,001 + Employees

New York City Metro Area
IT Manager, Global 500 Consumer Products Firm

PhD Labs’ work resulted in significant increases in activity and business. The agency exceeds expectations by asking the right questions and developing a comprehensive understanding of the desired outcome. They deliver high quality work and are very responsive.

Please describe your company.

We are a German company with three main businesses. One is industrial uses. We do consumer products like Loctite, and we do home products like laundry, such as Purex, and Dial soap. We also do hair care products, which is more of our German line. I work on the industrial adhesive side out of Bridgewater, N.J. I’m in the eBusiness department.

What is your role and responsibilities?

My role is more in systems. I manage all of our marketing and data systems, making sure they are working properly, and that we’re providing the service internally that we need to service our customers. I do the strategy for our marketing product data. I also do mobile application work and a lot of web apps as well.

What was your goal for working with PhD Labs?

One of the projects that I worked with them closely on was our online training system. They built a system that allows us to train our channel management partners, as well as our internal employees, on our products, services, and offerings. They built that from scratch, and they’ve done a lot of enhancements to the systems as we have found needs, that we needed to add to the system. We also worked on a project with them that was basically a product selector for our customers. They can go online, answer a few questions, and come down to four main products that may be useful to them before contacting one of our specialists. The selector is designed to increase sales and let them find the technical information they’re looking for right away.

Is there any mobile app work involved?

We are getting ready to start mobile app work, but we have not begun our project with them for mobile apps. We’re planning to turn the product selector into a mobile app so that when our sales reps are out visiting customers, they have that information readily at hand.

What was your process for selecting PhD Labs to work with?

We worked with them before, so it was due to the good work they’ve done with us in the past. They were one of the top names that came up when we were deciding to move forward with this project. They are very easy to work with, and the turnaround on their products is very fast. It’s good work. We rarely have any issues or have to go back and forth. We sit down and plan and come up with a strategy, and they’re able to put something together for us. They understand the concept and design of where we want to go with our project. We work well together.

With the online training system, in the past year and a half or two years, we’ve spent more than $100,000 in enhancements. The product selector was a $25,000 to $35,000 project in the beginning.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

Another enhancement just went live this week with our online training system, and that was more of a security-hardening enhancement, just to tighten up the system and make sure that only people that have access are allowed in the system. That’s another enhancement that just went live this week.

How has PhD Labs performed so far?

Very well. I have a great working relationship with them. Their team gets back to me right away, and they’re very helpful.

Do you have any stats or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We have stats on our training system. They created an enhancement for us that allows our channel distributors to do single sign-on to our training system. That has increased use by thousands. We went from having maybe 1,200 users to more than a couple of thousand users, just by that enhancement alone. That’s been working very well; they customized it for some of our big distributors, and it’s been a great success for us so far.

Is there anything unique about PhD Labs that really makes them stand out, compared to other companies?

They grasp the concepts; they ask the right questions, and they come back with a design that surpasses the expectations that we had in the beginning. They do nice neat and clean work. If they have any questions while they’re trying to work on the architecture and infrastructure, they come back, ask the right questions and they develop a product that’s great. I’ve had nothing but good experiences so far.

Is there any area that you think they could improve upon or that you might do differently?

Not really. I’m in contact with the people I need to deal with every day, so I would like to see them more just to get together and jointly strategize. Maybe I can learn what they’re doing on their side of things, and they can understand what our outlook is for the next two years. That way, if they come across things that they think may be helpful for us, and they can let us know. Other than that, I don’t see anything else that jumps out at me.

They’re really good on costs.
    Very likely.

IT Outsourcing for Technology Solution Provider

"For us to put the trust in them to help spearhead and develop the first version of our platform speaks volumes."

Professionalism:

2006 - Ongoing

PhD Labs serves as an outsourced IT department. The team built a software platform to align with healthcare providers and has completed a range of application development for third party clients.

COO, Technology Solutions Provider for Healthcare Providers

The platform’s MVP was successfully launched and work has begun on the second version, including additional features and functions. PhD Labs is a reliable, personable, and trusted partner who is constantly improving their internal structure in order to provide better, more seamless service.

Please describe your company.

We are a healthcare IT company. We focus on telemedicine. Our software has been designed and built to align with healthcare providers. It serves to extend care to patients as well as physician collaboration.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the COO. I focus on product development and marketing communications.

What was your goal for the work with PhD Labs? What challenge were you trying to address?

They were essentially building the entire platform for us. We didn’t want to hire an entire crew in-house as full-time employees. It made financial sense to outsource to begin our first version of the software. We worked with PhD in the past on other projects with other companies, so it’s a really good fit.

What was your process for selecting Ph D. Labs to work with in the first place?

I had co-founded another company before, it was a design and advertising company. We started working with PhD seven years ago on different client projects, all application development. It was simply through networking and referrals that we came across them.

Can you describe the scope of their work?

They are really our entire outsourced IT department, in all facets.

Can you please provide a sense of the size of the initiative in a general dollar figure?

I can’t give you an exact number, but it’s in the million dollar range.

How have they performed so far?

Excellent. It’s been a great experience so far. We just launched the minimum valuable product, the first version of our platform about three weeks ago. We continue to work on version two and additional features and functions, working on mobile applications. They will be involved in implementation.

Is anything unique or special about them, or that makes them stand out compared to other IT vendors?

I spent 20 years in the services business, so I’ve been on the agency side for a very long time. My experience is that skill sets may be comparable from firm to firm, it always comes down to the individual personalities you like working with.

We’ve always had a pretty good experience with them. We’ve been working with them for a very long time. For us to put the kind of trust in them to help spearhead and develop the first version of our platform, speaks volumes.

Looking back on the work, do you have any improvements to suggest or is there anything you would do differently?

I think they have some holes to fill during the transition from creative to architecture to actual build, but I know that they’re working on that. It has improved in the last six months, but they’re working on it.

They are going through a growth spurt now. There have been some challenges here and there, but we’re a pretty understanding client in the sense that we know what it’s like to be on that side.