Made for each other.

Bronze

pb+j is a full-service web design and creative agency. We partner with trail-blazing marketing and creative professionals who want a sure bet for mind-blowing growth-driven design and digital for their organization or for their clients.

Since 2011, we’ve worked with over 300 clients in more than 30 industries from more than 15 countries.

We’re a lot of things; normal is not one of them.

_____

Small business who thinks big?

Lunchbox was made for small businesses by pb+j—a world-leader in Squarespace website design and branding strategy.

Who cares? Why does this matter? Well, we took the experience and expertise forged through years of working with big brands and packaged it for you. We believe that small businesses should have access to outstanding websites, branding, and social marketing without breaking the bank. #LeaveNoBusinessBehind

Toronto, Canada
  • 17 William St. N., Suite 4
    Lindsay, ON K9V 3Z9
  • United States

We have completed more than 250 sites for a wide range of businesses from all over the world, including Hollywood producers, Harvard startups, luxury home builders and New York Times best-selling authors.

Yeah Field Trip

Field Trip is a 5-day, 4-night event for evolving creators and artist entrepreneurs. We're talking specifically to you: photographers, videographers, designers and art directors.

www.yeahfieldtrip.com

VIIVIO

VIIVIO is personalized science that supports health and fitness goals. VIIVIO fits into your lifestyle with simple action items that remove the complexity and stress of new regimens, health fads, or exercise routines doomed to fail.

Shrader Canada

Shrader Canada is an industry leading automotive chemical supplier. Shrader specialises in innovative and top-quality product with impeccable customer service.

shradercanada.com

Park Distillery

Park Distillery is "Best of Banff" restaurant and distillery. Campfire inspired culinary feasts and small-batch housemade alcohol. They say it best with "Campfire Cookin' + Housemade Booze."

HAAWK provides a suite of software and services for the management of 3rd party IP in user-generated content and the distribution of content to digital media streaming services and retailers.

Gilbert & Burke

Gilbert & Burke design and build luxury custom homes and cottages. They are the preeminent contractors in northern Ontario who make dream homes reality. They also specialize in renovations.

www.gilbertburke.ca

The Balkan

The Balkan is voted "Best Restaurant in Banff" because of its incredible, authentic, and healthy Greek food. A definitely "when in Banff" opportunity.

Squarespace Web Development for Theatre Company

"They wanted to deliver a final product that everyone in our organization could stand behind."

2017 - Ongoing

pb+j designed and developed a website for a theatre organization. The team migrated the user flow from a previous iteration to a new Squarespace interface.

Ottawa, Canada
Nicole Milne
Former Marketing Director, Great Canadian Theatre Company

The new site brought more engagement, increased brand awareness, and greater accessibility. Dedicated and supportive, pb+j created helpful videos for the client that explain the features that they delivered. Their collaborative approach, coupled with their depth of expertise, set them apart.

I worked with pb+j at a previous organization called The Great Canadian Theatre Company, a nonprofit that presents the work of Canadian artists, playwrights, and performing arts professionals. I was the marketing director there.

What challenge were you trying to address with pb+j?

We had a dysfunctional and outdated website. Our challenge was creating a new site with better content management tools and a design that was more aligned with our work in the community. We were doing risky and varied work, and we wanted our site to complement that. We also wanted our content to be accessible for each member of our diverse community.

They used Squarespace to build the website and fully integrated all of the services that we had on the old version. They maintained the user flow of the previous site—the one that our patrons were used to—with a more contemporary and updated interface.

I worked with the head of pb+j, as well as a team of designers and project managers.

How did you come to work with pb+j?

I put out a blind RFP to various organizations in Canada and included pb+j because of a recommendation from a colleague. Tom (Co-Founder, pb+j) sent me an email back respectfully declining to participate. He explained that his team doesn’t respond to RFPs because they prefer to start with a discussion.

I was so intrigued by his response that I decided to give him a call. That email made me want to work with him. I agreed with his thought process, and I’ve actually changed the way I engage with RFPs based on that one conversation.

The website launched in February 2017. We brought them on as our agency of record soon after.

pb+j helped us build out our platform and our brand awareness within the community. We were also able to reach a wider audience with the website update because it made our content much more accessible online. They moved everything from a dry, content-heavy, difficult to navigate site to one that had a much better user experience. This led our patrons and our audience to engage with us further because the digital interaction was much more pleasant.

The engagement was so positive that we ended up collaborating with pb+j on multiple other projects. They did marketing designs and materials for that entire season, which flowed nicely with the launch of the website. We eventually decided to shift away from a designer that had been with the organization for over 25 years to start working exclusively with pb+j.

How did pb+j perform from a project management standpoint?

We were in touch with the head of pb+j from day one, which made for an exciting development experience. They felt that it was important to begin the project with a face-to-face meeting so that they could understand the marketing and development side of things.

The team also listened to our needs, both from a design standpoint and a financial standpoint. As a nonprofit, we were trying to make a massive impact with a limited budget, so that dual consideration made a difference for us.

The entire team was incredibly engaging. They shepherded us through the whole process, from the design to the backend of the site and eventually the execution and final launch. The timeline was well-executed, and the project was done within a few short months.

pb+j used Basecamp as a touchpoint for us to stay up-to-date. We also did weekly and monthly phone calls. They were very realistic with their timelines and always managed to keep us on schedule. They were also extremely considerate and understanding when we faced problems on our end, like unexpected budget changes.

Another takeaway is that they were engaging during technical conversations. I don’t have an IT background, so I’m apprehensive about working with companies that speak a language that I don’t understand. I never felt that way with pb+j, and they always made sure that I had a voice in every conversation. Their ability to explain processes and requirements in a way that respected my knowledge really enhanced the project experience for me.

One of the biggest standout gestures was that they asked to integrate the artistic direction of the leader of my organization. This is the person who plans our shows and presentations. That was a unique decision, but they had realized that, to fully understand the organization’s message, they needed to speak with the person who leads the organization.

I’ve never seen that approach with other IT firms, but I think it went a long way in terms of their ability to realize our vision. They had an excellent grasp of how small nonprofits function and made sure that everyone’s voice was heard. They wanted to deliver a final product that everyone in our organization could stand behind.

Something else that stood out for me was their understanding that our organization would likely experience internal changes. They provided video training manuals that explained all of the site updates and how to use the different features. We’ve kept that as an archive to help with future personnel transitions. They were very forward-thinking in that regard, going above and beyond to give us an incredibly useful resource.

Overall, their customer management is exceptional. Their leadership team stresses the importance of the customer relationship, which they put at the forefront of their work. That is one of their greatest strengths, outside of the amazing design work that they do.

I can't think of a single thing. They met or exceeded all of my expectations. I’m hoping to engage them again at my new place of business.

I would give a six if I could.
    I refer people to them all the time.

Shopify Site for Custom Acrylic Photo Printing Company

“Creatively, they are exceptional.”

Sept. 2018 - Ongoing

pb+j provides in-house design and development services to a custom acrylic photos company. They built a Shopify site, which they’re making compatible with Amazon product listings. They’ve done other sites.

New York City Metro Area
CEO, Creator Memories

They satisfied requirements by delivering a simple and user-friendly site that can handle hundreds of custom orders. Their work has driven a high industry conversion rate and garnered positive feedback from users, leading to more work for pb+j. The team is responsive and accessible.

I’m the CEO of Creator Memories, an online business that does custom printing on acrylic. We have a patented process.

What challenge were you trying to address with pb+j?

My company had an existing website that had been built in Hong Kong, where we have an office. I was unhappy with it, and I told my business partner that we could either fix it or build a new one. After discussions with pb+j, we thought the latter would likely be easier, so we started from scratch.

We had some unique challenges, one of them being the users’ ability to personalize products. We wanted users to be able to upload pictures and then add text or other customizations. We’ve done a lot of wholesale business, and we just entered the B2C market.

My team provided pb+j with some wireframes, and we talked extensively about the project. I showed them our existing website and some of our products, along with some example sites, YouTube videos, and TV commercials that we liked. I also described to them who our competition was and what set us apart in terms of what we had to offer. I explained the vibe we wanted the site to have.

pb+j interpreted the different directions we talked about and came back with some really smart concepts for us. We settled on a melding of these different concepts. From there, pb+j built a new Shopify site for us. We’re currently listing some of our products on Amazon, and they’re adjusting the site accordingly.

My company does a lot of work with a wedding planning website and photographers. We provide them with sites that look their own, but they’re actually ours. pb+j builds these white label sites. Soon, they’ll be developing another website for us.

pb+j assigned project managers and two lead designers to work with us on this.

How did you come to work with pb+j?

My facilities are in Hong Kong, and I knew someone there who’d done a lot of web development work. They suggested 3–4 vendors to me, one of which was pb+j.

I talked to a lot of developers. We wanted a vendor that would do the vast majority of the work in-house, and that’s why we settled on pb+j. They also had Shopify experience, which was the platform we wanted to use.

We started working with pb+j in September 2018, and they completed the initial project by the end of November. We started a second project with them in January 2019, which took another 4–5 weeks. We’ll be starting another project within the next few weeks.

A lot of the developers I spoke to proposed too many complexities for the platform. I wanted it to be clean and straightforward, and pb+j understood that right away. At the same time, we faced the challenge of enabling our customers to design custom products, and pb+j proved capable of taking this challenge on.

I’m currently negotiating with a big client that has a lot of experience in this area, and they’ve told us that our site is easy to understand. This is exactly what we wanted; I consider websites to be modern business cards, on which we showcase who we are and what we do. I just recommended a client to pb+j, even though I’ve never met them in-person. The client also does business in America and all of his manufacturing in China. He loved the website, so I offered to introduce him to pb+j. He’s doing some marketing work with them now.

Our conversion rate is probably 3–4% higher than the industry average. I attribute this to the site’s ease of use. pb+j also simplified the backend process. We often get 800 single customized or personalized photos in 24 hours, and not only do we have to produce them, but also ensure that each customer receives the right product.

How did pb+j perform from a project management standpoint?

My background is process-driven, and I explained this to them. I couldn’t give them higher marks. I haven’t agreed with everything they’ve done, but they handle issues well. The process has been painless.

We communicate frequently. pb+j uses a project management platform. Most of our contact is through email and Skype, and we usually have scheduled calls every 7–10 days during the development process. They either give me the schedule, or I give it to them. The project managers keep everything on schedule, in terms of when we have meetings and who I should be communicating with.

We had an issue with one of the sites on a Friday night, namely that pb+j took it live without telling me. I emailed them at 8:30–9:00 p.m., telling them that I wanted to revert to the original site before they made changes. I got an email back at 11 p.m. telling me that they were sorry and that they’d reverted it. They did this even though I’m not their biggest client.

Creatively, they are exceptional. I’m able to communicate both good and bad news to them, and they’re responsive to what my concerns are. They don’t always agree with me, and I think it’s great when they push back.

They’re very busy. I asked them to complete a project by last Friday, and they were forthright about not being able to take it on. I’d be happier if their turnaround time was a bit quicker, but they’re upfront about saying no. This has been my biggest issue with them.

Be totally open with them, and don’t pretend you know more than you do. I was open with them about what we’d done and what I knew, and they responded really well to that type of approach.

I found their cost estimate to be a little higher than that of competitors, but they did all of the work in-house, which was a premium worth paying.
    They keep their word on everything they say they’re going to do.

Web Development for Photography Business

"pb+j did a great job of capturing everything that I wanted to capture and making it look more high-class."

Pb+j developed a new Squarespace website and a logo for the client’s marketing needs. The goal was to project a higher-end brand for this photography business.

Baltimore, Maryland
Anna Grace Paulovkin
Owner, AnnaGracePhoto.com

Pb+j demonstrated a good design process presenting options and taking feedback from the client. They captured everything the client wanted and made the website look polished and high-class. The client is 100% satisfied with the outcome.

Anna Grace Photography provides services for weddings and family events. I am the owner of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with pb+j?

My website was outdated, and I also needed a new business logo which would speak to my higher-end brand.

pb+j developed a Squarespace website for me, which was the platform that I wanted. pb+j also produced some copy for my site. I was assigned a creative director and a designer/developer who handled most of the work. I also worked with a project lead from pb+j.

How did you come to work with pb+j?

I found pb+j through the referral list on the Squarespace website. I looked at budget ranges, as well as the work listed for each company. It was important for me that I work with a team. I have a background in graphic design, so it's a topic I care about. pb+j's website was very well made. After getting in touch with them, pb+j got back to me right away.

How much have you invested with pb+j?

The total cost of pb+j's services was $6,500, including a new website and logo.

Our work is completed. I plan to contact pb+j in the future for any updates, but this won't happen within the next couple of years.

One of the main requirements that I had for the new site was to receive inquiries from brides who were okay with my price range. I charge around $5,000 per wedding, and I was constantly getting inquiries from people wanting $1,500 photographers. I knew that this was because of my site. Almost all of my current inquiries are compatible with my price range, which is a huge benefit.

Everyone who saw it was excited about my new site, which showed the level of polish it had. pb+j did a great job of capturing everything that I wanted to capture and making it look more high-class.

How did pb+j perform from a project management standpoint?

I worked in a design studio in the past, so I am biased in terms of how a project is handled. pb+j's designer did an amazing job, and I was in contact with him often, but I felt that I should have been in touch more with the project lead. I had to end up asking my designer a bunch of questions which should have been answered for me from the start. I don't know if this was because pb+j's team had a lot on their plate, but whenever we had calls about the progress of the work, I was only given 30 minutes to talk about it. Sometimes, ideas require more time, so pb+j could work on this. Overall, I'm 100% happy with the outcome of their work.

What did you find most impressive about pb+j?

I filled out a lengthy questionnaire about my brand and talked through it with pb+j at the beginning. From there, they came up with a couple of concepts. The main one was pretty much exactly what we ended up using. pb+j created a kind of mood-board, with different pictures, colors, and images which could reflect my brand. This helped me think of things that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. I really liked the design process of presenting options to me and taking my feedback.

I liked how pb+j presented everything to me in a live website format. It showed me what the finished product would be.

Are there any areas pb+j could improve?

The communication issue I mentioned was the only drawback of working with pb+j. Having more time in order to talk through some designs would have been good.

On a couple of occasions, I wasn't sure who would be in touch with me. Once I was able to get on the phone with pb+j, everything worked out.
    I got exactly what I paid for.
    I was impressed with everything done by pb+j.
    A reason for picking pb+j was that their past work had great variety. Being able to hone into a brand and not making everything look the same is an indicator of a good designer and web agency. I would recommend pb+j.

Bronze