An online design service

Outline2Design is an agency providing web , UI/UX, mobile, and identity design services. We are a sister division of PSD2HTML, one of the worlds largest development companies.

San Francisco, CA
  • Ukraine

Acilia Internet, Leads2Listing, PSD2HTML, Global Fortune 500 companies and a big number of digital agencies

UI & Animation Design for Marketing Agency

“They're proactive — they want to learn more about your project and understand the big picture.”

Sept. - Dec. 2017

Outline2Design provided animation and design work for both web and live installations to attract customers to a major brand.

Oslo, Norway
Greg Lusk
Former Managing Director, JCP Nordic

Though responsiveness occasionally lagged, their quick turnaround and eagerness to succeed created an effective partnership. Solid preparation from their team led to fewer revisions when compared to previous designers.

I work for a digital production agency, and at the time of this project, I was the managing director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Outline2Design?

I have a local base of freelance designers, and we hired Outline2Design to supplement my team for two lower-budget projects that allowed us to see how they'd perform. We were looking for talented designers who could come onto new projects quickly.

In the first project, they made different layouts based on existing design elements that could be used at various break points over a four-month period. They also did some animation work using those existing designs, which was incorporated into an online "barometer" that displayed different moods based on user feedback. They formatted the designs for web use as well as for a live shop-window installation. They also added their own touches and additional animations to the design as we went along, which was great.

Our second project was for a major end client who wanted us to design a series of dashboards they could display at an in-person exhibition stand in order to attract patrons. They wanted the dashboards to display aspects of their technologies in a very simple and visual way, so we gave Outline2Design a set of several items, like coffee, that the client would be handing out at their exhibition, and then a list of item data the dashboards needed to track and display. The design team came up with visual symbols to represent each parameter and created animations to signal each time the data updated from the back end.  They did an excellent job with it—the Norwegian prime minister attended an event where these dashboards were on display and found the animations so convincing that she thought the dashboards were updating in real time. They weren't, of course; we had an algorithm programmed, but that just shows you how convincing and realistic the animation job was. They were good, eye-catching visuals.

After making an initial request online, we had a business manager who checked over our brief and gave the design team any information they needed to return a price quote. Once we made our payment, I primarily worked with the design project manager, although I could also get in touch with the individual designers and animators if necessary.

How did you come to work with Outline2Design?

I'd hired PSD2HTML, one of their sister companies, for web development, so when I heard about their design agency I was interested in trying it out. It was appealing to get the design and the development from the same place because it's saved me an incredible amount of time coordinating between the designers and developers.

In the past, I've had to book designers far in advance, but Outline2Design could put someone on the job within a couple of days. We were also looking for something cost-effective, since we're based in Norway and the going rate for designers is 1,000 kroner ($125 USD), and their prices were very good.

The first project was around $3,000 for the design and animation, and the second project was about $5,000.

We worked with them on our main project from September–November 2017, and then in December, we had a smaller project that they turned around very quickly.

We had less proofing rounds with our client, which saved us a lot of time. Outline2Design understood our brief well and managed to deliver good results from the first attempt as opposed to having to do multiple rounds of revision.

How did Outline2Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They're pretty flexible. I can be very impatient when I need urgent answers on a project, especially since I act as a middleman between the designers and the end client. They're very good at getting back to me within a reasonable amount of time, although there's room for improvement. But I always felt I could go into Skype and send them a direct message if anything was truly urgent. They'd respond quickly from there, either with a status update or a note saying they could respond in more detail later on. Having that assurance of a response within 24 hours or so helps me ensure the end client stays happy.

I also like the setup of their client portal, and their communication is very clear. English isn't their first language, so there are a few misunderstandings now and then, but they're eager to make sure they've understood you. They're also clear about deadlines and pricing. I didn't ever feel like I was going to encounter any hidden costs. They were upfront if things would cost extra and they'd ask for confirmation before going ahead. It was very well-organized in that respect.

Their capacity and turnaround speed are great. They also ask good questions about your brief and come to the table with recommendations. A lot of designers will just take what you've written and come back with something that's completely off, or they don't ask the right qualifying questions initially. Outline2Design are pretty good at checking their understanding of the brief and they're proactive — they want to learn more about your project and understand the big picture before they start working.

As I mentioned earlier, I work with both Outline2Design and their sister company, PSD2HTML. They have separate client messaging systems, which is annoying for me because I can't coordinate the design and development as seamlessly and I end up having to repeat information. I essentially have two project managers I have to keep updating and briefing, and I'm never 100% sure if they've actually talked to each other and relayed information that we've discussed on Skype. I've voiced this concern to them already, and I think it would be amazing if they could find a shared client tool for joint projects.

It would also be nice if they provided an initial questionnaire in the client area for briefs that covered basic things like whether the project is for mobile or desktop, which browser optimization we want, that sort of thing. Something like this would make the process more efficient by removing a lot of simple questions in the planning stage.

Be very clear with your brief, and be clear and concise when you're answering their questions. Use links to screenshots with explanations instead of trying to describe everything verbally or in writing, because I think that really helps them understand what you actually mean when you have specific feedback about design changes.

I almost don't want to tell anyone else about them, because I feel like they give me a competitive edge!

UX Design For CRM Platform

"Their quality of work is very high. They don't let anything slip through the cracks."

Outline2Design rendered sketches and graphics for a CRM provider. The graphics were formatted to provide clear explanations of service for all users.

Owner, CRM Software Platform

Outline2Design delivers high-quality graphics, communicates effectively, and is always willing to explain their process. Although their management platform is awkward to use, the team operates without delays and rapidly corrects any errors.

My company provides a CRM [customer relationship management] solution for the apparel industry.

I am the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Outline2Design?

We ultimately wanted somebody who could transform our business needs into a graphical communication that was clear and did not require a user manual for the end user to understand.

Outline2Design took our ideas and turned them into sketch files and renderings that we could share with our clients and get feedback.

How did you come to work with Outline2Design?

I found Outline2Design through their sister company. I enjoyed working with that company and asked if they had the design capabilities for my project, and they introduced me to O2D.

I have spent between $10,000 and $50,000.

We began working with them about two years ago, and we continue to work together. They have completed multiple projects for me, and we have some in the pipeline currently.

I don't have anything to share because the work is still in progress.

How did Outline2Design perform from a project management standpoint?

There has never been a delay. Outline2Design is very detailed and consistent, and their communication is always clear. They're always willing to jump on Skype to talk through things. They sometimes catch something that your team has missed, which is not their responsibility, but shows their expertise in a nutshell.

What distinguishes Outline2Design from other providers?

Their quality of work is very high. They don't let anything slip through the cracks. As long as you bring it to their attention, they will address it.

Is there anything Outline2Design could have improved or done differently?

There is always something to improve. I've already mentioned this to them, but the platform they use for communicating ends up in a long thread that can become very lengthy. In the future, I hope they will enhance that platform, but that is the only thing I can think of.

Overall Score – It's been a great experience.
    – They are always on time.
    – The cost is very fair for what they do and the quality of work that they deliver.
    – We've worked with other firms and have given the work they have done for us to OutlineDesign to fix.
    – I already have.