Mobile App Development Company

Bronze

OpenForge is the leading brand in Mobile App Consulting.  As Ionic Framework's #1 Trusted Partner in the United States & South America, our team specializes in empowering businesses to succeed through Mobile Applications, Progressive Web Apps, and App Store Optimization.

Contact us today if:

• You need to build a Mobile Application (UI/UX or Development)
  • You need help increasing your App Store Rating or handling User Feedback
  • You need help with a difficult development tasks (Ionic, Angular, React, or Cordova)

Philadelphia, PA
  • 1608 Walnut Street, Suite 1200
    Philadelphia, PA 19103

Medical Mutual of Ohio, Edwards Lifesciences, New Ocean Health Solutions, Kemin Industries, Yellow Dig, Mobile Measures, Fit Girls, Knicks Omnifan

Medical Mutual of Ohio - Mobile App Redesign & HIPAA Compliance Image

Medical Mutual of Ohio - Mobile App Redesign & HIPAA Compliance

The Medical Mutual Mobile Application was designed to be a ADA Compliant healthcare & insurance application.  Now, this mobile application is used across Ohio as one of the primary insurance applications for consumers looking to view their benefits.

LoudCloud Image

LoudCloud

This app was designed with privacy in mind. Users can receive and make calls through a temporary and disposable phone number; in over 40 countries! LoudCloud allows for more secure business and social interactions.

Mobile Measures - 5 Star Mobile Application Image

Mobile Measures - 5 Star Mobile Application

A Physical Therapist’s brainchild; this app aims to help Physical Therapists keep track of their patients’ progress. Like many founders and entrepreneurs, Ben’s foray into the start-up world started with a simple idea: “There has to be a better way!”

Ionic Migration & Product Dev for Health Service Provider

“I was impressed by their commitment to design.”

Apr. 2017 - Oct. 2018

OpenForge transferred a health service provider’s mobile app to the Ionic platform. Then, they built another product with a custom open-source extension. Services included design, development, and testing.

Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Chris Betz
CTO, New Ocean Health Solutions

OpenForge delivered high-caliber products that adhered to strict healthcare compliance requirements. Three years later, the work they did remains functional and in-use. Their thorough design and discovery process, along with their passion for quality, sets them apart. The team met tight timeframes.

I’m the CTO at New Ocean Health. We provide health and wellbeing services as well as applications for hospital systems, insurers, and large employer groups.

What challenge were you trying to address with OpenForge?

We originally hired them to help convert our mobile app to a new platform, Ionic. We also wanted to make some enhancements to the app at the same time.

OpenForge provided design, development, testing, and project management services. We had two main projects with them. They did the app conversion to the Ionic platform, and then they built a whole other product for us.

I typically worked with 3–4 people, including Jedi (Founder & Head of Technology) and Liz (Former Frontend Developer). I worked with the design, development, and project management leads, and then members of my team interacted with other people as well.

How did you come to work with OpenForge?

We knew we wanted to switch to the Ionic platform before approaching OpenForge. We went to the owners of the Ionic platform, and they actually recommended OpenForge. They’re local to us, which was very convenient; we’re just outside of Philadelphia, and they’re in downtown. We met with them and decided to go with them.

We spent somewhere in the range of $500,000–$1 million.

We started on our first project with them in April 2017, and we finished our work together in October 2018.

The quality of their work was excellent. We’re in the healthcare space, so we had some industry compliance, adherence, and security requirements. They were very knowledgeable and were able to fulfill all of those specific requirements. We put their work through our own in-house QA team, and OpenForge did a great job. We’re still using it today, three years later. The number of bugs was low.

How did OpenForge perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning, they didn’t have a lot of infrastructure around project management, so I’d say it was more technically led. However, they recognized that they needed dedicated project management, and they got somebody to manage our projects solely. They stepped up and took care of that. We were very happy in the end; they met our demands.

We had a dedicated project manager, and they also introduced us to tools to help manage the project. They were in constant communication through various channels, such as Slack and Basecamp. We also got a high-level summary every week. All in all, we were quite satisfied.
They were able to complete the work in a short timeframe. We had a pretty aggressive timeline when we went to them, and they ramped up and scaled to meet our demands. They got the work done on time.

I was impressed by their commitment to design. They spent time with us upfront to get some great designs for both projects, and that showed in the final product. The fit and finish of the product were really good. I have a pretty technical background, so I appreciated the architecture that they put together. Again, it’s still in use today, so they did it in a very maintainable and scalable way. Overall, they did a great job.

I’d say that we shared a passion for developing quality products. The app was my baby in a way, and we got to a point where we needed help. I was a little anxious about having other people take over, but after sitting down with the OpenForge team, Jedi shared a common interest and passion, so I felt a lot better about it.

They were also very driven within the open-source community. There was a very custom open-source component that we wanted to be developed, but we wanted it extended. OpenForge extended it and then made that available to anyone. I appreciated that commitment to the community.

Not really. We’d love to work with them again given the chance. The project management in the beginning could’ve been improved, but they stepped up and took care of it.

Follow the process that OpenForge has. It might not be what you’re used to, but it’s important for both sides to follow it. They put a lot of time into the design and discovery phase to make sure everything is done correctly. Oftentimes, people from my company wanted to see something immediately, but you need to put the time in and follow their process.

I’d definitely recommend them.

Mobile App Dev & UX/UI Design for Call & Text App

"The most impressive aspect of our engagement is the quality of OpenForge’s product."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Seeking to rebuild and hybridize their mobile app, a mobile call and text platform hired OpenForge. The team provides Ionic development services, UX/UI design, and maintenance support.

Vienna, Virginia
Brad Sturgis
CEO, Loudcloud Inc.

After several years of collaboration, internal stakeholders remain pleased with OpenForge’s work. The app features all of the desired functionalities, and the team’s creative spirit in the design phase was extremely beneficial. Customers can expect a transparent, responsive team.

I’m the CEO of Loudcloud Inc., a mobile call and text application. We provide worldwide phone numbers.

What challenge were you trying to address with OpenForge?

We hired OpenForge to rebuild our mobile application.

OpenForge took a version of our mobile app and rebuilt it from the ground up. They used an Ionic platform in order to make it into a hybrid app, which also uses web. We did so so that we could create reusable code between platforms.

The team also provided the UX components, rebuilding the interface as well. We collaborated together to come up with the design.

We worked with about three people.

How did you come to work with OpenForge?

When we knew we wanted to proceed with the hybrid app development, we went directly to Ionic’s site to find the right partner. OpenForge was listed as one of their recommended vendors, so we decided to bring them on board.

We’ve spent between $150,000–$200,000 so far.

Our collaboration began in January 2016 and is ongoing.

We’ve been really pleased with the work they’ve done for us. Our app works well and has exactly the functionality we wanted.

How did OpenForge perform from a project management standpoint?

They perform very well. The team is very good at communicating with us, especially in terms of their time estimates. That’s been very helpful in planning our budget with them to understand what our costs are going to be.

No. We haven’t had any issues with the team over the years.

Mobile App Dev for Mobile Physical Therapy Platform

“Even if I needed something that they’ve never built before, they were able to make it happen.”

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Starting with given general criteria, OpenForge created an iOS and Android app that calculate risk for physical therapy patients. At this point, they’re moving toward the build of an enterprise app.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ben Kenuk
Founder & CEO, Mobile Measures

The solution has been very well-received in the physical therapy community, and many industry podcasts have invited the company’s CEO to discuss the app. Shown by steadily growing numbers of downloads and subscriptions, the team was efficient and consistently contributed quality work.

I run a mobile-based business. My background is in physical therapy, so I developed a solution that calculates scores of various tests to predict aspects of patient care. For instance, they can help determine a patient’s risk of falling or developing worsening disabilities. Users can share this risk information with their patients to track progress on treatment.

What challenge were you trying to address with OpenForge?

I tried to build the platform myself and failed miserably. We needed an external team to create our solution.

The most important aspect of the solution was that it needed to be easy to use and convenient. It’s intended to easily fit into a physical therapist’s workflow. The UI had to allow users to quickly choose between tests, calculate scores, interpret the results, and easily share them. Outside of the development work they did in Ionic, they assisted with the design and branding of the solution.

I provided them with general sketches that they made functional and appealing. They were able to improve upon my initial designs in the final iteration of the product. It was built for both iOS and Android. They also created an admin portal that I can use to make updates myself. At this point, we’re moving toward creating an enterprise version of the app.

I worked with a project manager, a lead developer, and about 3–5 additional developers.

How did you come to work with OpenForge?

I set up a few meetings with potential service providers. It was important that they were local and involved in the community. When we met their team, they were trustworthy and down to earth. They genuinely seemed interested in my mission and wanted to make the product successful. From there, we got to work.

I’ve spent about $100,000 on their work to this point.

We started the project in August 2017 and are still working together as updates need to be implemented. Our work with them is actually expanding now that we’re focusing on an enterprise version.

Even during this global pandemic, we’re still getting new downloads and subscriptions every day. I’m also getting positive feedback from people, and I’ve been invited onto top physical therapy podcasts to discuss my solution. People are reaching out to me because they’re excited about the product and what it can bring to the practice. Their team was instrumental to that accomplishment.

How did OpenForge perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very organized. I work directly with a project manager who provides me with weekly updates. They’re thorough with QA, finding bugs and fixing them before anyone notices. We use Teamwork to stay in touch.

Their ability to answer any question I had was most impressive. Even if I needed something that they’ve never built before, they were able to make it happen.

I’d love to see them assist with business development resources as they continue to help their clients grow. They could help with marketing or sales for the products they create.

They appreciated by organization and preparedness when giving them instructions. Because I was able to detail the app’s features, they saved time and money in the development process.

Custom Mobile App Dev for Digital Marketing Firm

“They are absolute experts in the space of best practices for developing mobile apps.”

Mar. 2019 - Ongoing

OpenForge provides full-stack app development for third-party customers of a digital marketing agency, working both from discovery and client provided wireframes to deliver Native cross-platform solutions.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Founder, Digital Marketing Firm

The consistent level of service provided by the OpenForge team has exceeded all project stakeholder expectations, establishing open communication with all clients and helping to appropriately plan and budget all projects. Their detailed scoping saves invaluable time and money for their clients.

I am the founder of a digital marketing agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with OpenForge?

We work with their team to provide all of our mobile app development work for any of our clients.

In the course of our work, we will often have clients who want to build an app to go along with some marketing campaign or other effort that they are launching, and OpenForge has been able to provide us with the development services for all of those needs, whether for various B2C products or internal management apps for large healthcare companies.

That includes Native and cross-platform apps for both iOS and Android, both based on detailed schematics that we provide to them and from discovery that they ran for us as well. By nature, they provide some strategy work for us as it applies to the implementation of various features in their apps, but they’re not involved besides the direct design and builds of those applications.

We work with about 4–5 members of their team at any given time. There’s a project manager, UI/UX designers, and developers.

How did you come to work with OpenForge?

I met them at a tech meetup in Philadelphia, and we could tell immediately that they were a kindred spirit in our space. We were impressed with their ethics and how thoroughly their values aligned with ours, so we wanted to work with them.

We’ve spent a total of around $100,000.

The partnership started in April 2019 and is still ongoing.

As a case study example, they’ve been involved with clients who haven’t necessarily budgeted or planned properly, and they’ve been able to point all of those clients in the right direction in terms of how to get the most out of their services for the amount of money they have.

In general, they have just always been able to capture the vision of our clients and completely exceed project requirements time and time again. We are totally pleased with the service that they have provided to us.

How did OpenForge perform from a project management standpoint?

They are absolute experts in the space of best practices for developing mobile apps. There are so many ways to start working on a project and burn through serious amounts of capital before you even have a working prototype. OpenForge is such a valuable partner to us because they ask very clear, detailed questions from the beginning to help protect the client and save everyone money and resources that are all too finite.

Their team always takes a process-driven approach. We have check-ins regularly, and they always communicate around deliverables and timelines to provide as much clarity to our team as possible.

They are absolutely world-class in everything they do, from design to development to testing and QA. Time and time again they have been able to dig into the details and solve business challenges by creating mobile apps that are able to solve any of our clients’ problems.

Not only that, but they build trust with clients right away by creating a process that’s easy to tap into. They are able to educate clients and help them plan out their resources by being realistic about expectations and outcomes, and that is probably their biggest strength.

I suppose you can always improve, but there really was nothing that I’ve seen that they should do differently.

Be really upfront about your budget. They’re pros, and they’re confident in the value they can provide, so trust that level of expertise.

Progressive Web App Dev for Digital Marketing Agency

"Under Jedi's leadership they are able to run smoothly and effectively without breakdowns or hiccups."

Jan. 2020 - Ongoing

In an ongoing project, OpenForge developed a progressive web app (PWA). They provided many different applications.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Seth Goldstein
Principal Creative Director, Goldstein Media LLC

OpenForge met the client's needs. The team is well organized and provides top-notch work. They have an effective workflow that runs smoothly.

Goldstein Media is a digital marketing agency specializing in helping small businesses get a presence online.

For what projects/services did your company hire OpenForge?

A current client needed help with a PWA, it exceeded our skill set internally, so we reached out to OpenForge for assistance.

To develop a PWA for our client that met their needs.

I know of the CEO from past endeavors and Jedi has never disappointed.

They provide all kinds of mobile web applications from dedicated mobile apps to progressive web apps.

There are about 18 people on the team. All highly skilled.

They were great and would recommend them in the future.

Top notch and well organized.

Absolutely none. They are great.

Bronze