Building Brands. With Purpose.

Ologie is a branding and marketing agency. We help our clients define their purpose and tell their stories in engaging ways. The brands we build and messages we craft are based on smart insights and compelling creative expressions that help people make important life decisions about their health, wealth, and education. We are researchers, strategists, designers, storytellers and creative problem solvers.

We create brand experiences through all forms of media: print, digital, environmental, photographic, and video.

In short, we build brands with purpose.

1987
Ologie
447 East Main St
Columbus, OH 43215

Virginia Tech, University of Penn, University at Buffalo, Franklin & Marshall, The University of Arizona, Northwestern University, Auburn University, Cardinal Health, PNC Bank, West Virginia University, Columbus College of Art and Design.

Brand Identity Campaign for Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum

"Their professionalism, creativity and dedication were top-notch."

June 2017 - Ongoing

Ologie is creating a suite of brand identity materials to aid in fundraising and attracting donors. The campaign includes a video, case statement, and messaging tactics.

Washington, DC
Elizabeth Moylan Wilson
Assistant Director, Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Feedback on the new brand identity from the museum board and key donors has been incredibly positive. Ologie leads a thorough and thoughtful process, and their team offers outstanding communication unmatched by other providers.

I am the assistant director of advancement for the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum. I manage our annual giving and membership programs, as well as budgeting, gift processing, and special advancement projects. I served as the contracting officer’s technical representative (COTR) for this contract, which means that I managed the selection of the vendor and continue to oversee the contract.

For what projects/services did your company hire Ologie?

They were brought in to create a unique identity for a campaign. We needed to raise $250 million to fund a major building renovation that would transform the museum’s galleries.

We wanted to create a suite of unique, compelling, and inspiring fundraising tools for our leadership and advancement team to use with donors and prospects. In addition, we wanted to make sure that the messaging would appeal to both individual and corporate donors.

Since we are required to follow federal procurement guidelines, we went through an extensive selection process. Out of all the firms that responded to the RFP, Ologie's proposal really stood out. We also liked the work they had done for other clients. What’s more, every single one of Ologie's seven references made a point to follow up with me and provide positive references about working with their team.

During the discovery phase, they met with the museum’s core team and interviewed key members of our leadership, the board, and our donors. They also reviewed the extensive information we provided them, including previous campaign materials, newsletters, exhibition renderings, etc.

Next, they identified key audiences and their important attributes. After this, they moved on to the create phase, which involved reviewing two different creative concepts for the campaign. They also reviewed drafts of the campaign name, tagline, and visual identity. Next, we're going to tackle the website, campaign video, case statement, etc.

The project involves their creative and copy team, but we work directly with two account managers. Their director of strategy is also closely involved in the discussions and onsite presentations to our board.

We don't have any metrics to share at this stage, but the response from everyone we've shared their work with has been incredibly positive. The campaign has been received favorably by our board—which includes many aerospace CEOs and business leaders—the Smithsonian national board, the museum leadership, and key donors. We are very pleased with campaign identity and the direction in which we're heading. It is really exciting to see the top-notch work that they have provided.

So far, I’ve been incredibly impressed with their process. They have all the steps down to a science. They are the utmost professionals about scheduling and communication, which is done via weekly calls. Not only are they always very responsive and prompt, they’ve explained each phase of the process very clearly. Overall, they are great partners to work with and handle feedback very well.

I’ve been impressed with everyone that I encountered. Their professionalism, creativity, and dedication are top-notch. I also think that their handle on the process is outstanding. Most organizations don't go through this type of work very often, so we appreciate the thoughtful way they’ve led us through it.

Not that I can think of.

Brand Strategy for West Virginia University

"They are absolutely fantastic to work with."

July 2014 - Feb. 2015

Ologie performed thorough research and built out the brand guidelines and creative for a public university, helping them to consistently communicate their unique message.

Morgantown, West Virginia
Sharon Martin
VP of University Relations, West Virginia University

The Ologie team is adept at working with tight timelines, listening to feedback, and balancing differing opinions. They hit the mark perfectly with this rebranding project, and their messaging has been well-received across all levels of the university.

Please provide a description of your company.

West Virginia University is a public university, serving over 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

What is your role and responsibilities, please?

I’m vice-president for university relations. I oversee the communication and marketing efforts of the university, which has recently included launching a new brand and a new creative campaign.

What was your goal for working with Ologie?

We didn’t have a clear picture of who we were, what we stood for, and what defined us. We wanted to carve out our niche in the marketplace, but not at the expense of creating a brand around what the university should be, rather than what it is. Our goal with Ologie was to define the university in a way that would allow us to have the foundation to consistently communicate our message, both visually and verbally.

Their process was comprehensive. In the months leading up to our project with Ologie we had conducted internal research on our brand, which we handed over to Ologie, but they also did plenty of their own due-diligence. They spent a lot of time on campus, meeting with students, teachers, and administrators to get the pulse of the university: what were our strengths and weaknesses, what did we love, what kept us up at night, etc. They came back and offered two different voices for our campaign. Both were great, but we landed on the one that we felt defined us best and was the direction we wanted to go moving forward. After that meeting, they started building out the brand guidelines and creative for us.

What was your process for selecting Ologie to work with?

I had worked with them before when I was at another university, so I had a history with them. For this project, I think we sent out five RFPs. We put them up against each other on the metrics of quality, how much experience they had in the field, what kind of work they did, price, all of those considerations. Unanimously, the group landed on Ologie. Even though I went into the selection process a little biased, they certainly won over the team as well.

In total it was between $100,000 and $200,000.

Can you tell me about the timeline of the project?

We began to work with them in July of 2014, and had landed on a final campaign by October. We approved that through our Board of Governors in early November, and launched the brand in February [2015].

Do you have any stats, metrics or general feedback from the project?

The quality of the work was excellent; I think they nailed it. I’ve had nothing but good response. As far as the general mood, acceptance of the campaign, and brand explanation, people have been really excited about it. You can only sell a brand so much. At some point, people either feel it or they don't. The brand we created with Ologie connects with people. They hit the mark perfectly, and it has been well-received across all levels of the university.

In terms of feedback directly for Ologie; they are absolutely fantastic to work with. They did a great job balancing some of the more stubborn aspects of the projects from tight timelines, to differing views from various stakeholders. I was very appreciative of the way they really listened to what we had to say, and always took that into account, but at the same time weren't afraid to give us push-back and challenge our thinking, in a very healthy way of course.  They truly are partners, I never felt like they were salesmen. They were here to help us do what we needed to do.

They have a really great methodology for discovering a university's brand. Instead of just giving us a cookie cutter format, they came on campus without any assumptions and really got a sense of what makes the student's heart beat, versus what makes the alumni's heart beat, and what it is about the faculty and staff here that makes them different from other universities. They're able to pick out what is unique about a university really quickly.

No, I cannot think of a single negative to share.

Brand Development for Public University

"The quality of their work is first rate."

June 2013 - Apr. 2014

Ologie performed market research, built out a brand strategy, and developed and designed the advertising and messaging platforms for a public university. They have since taken on other web-based projects.

Arizona
Former Chief Marketing Officer, Public University

The Ologie team is made up of very well-educated and intelligent people. They are able to build strong relationships and deliver work that inspires people to get on board with their messaging. Using the platform that Ologie built, the university has won several American Advertising Awards.

Please provide a description of your organization.

I work for a public university serving more than 40,000 undergraduate and graduate students.

What is your role and responsibilities?

My title is senior vice president for university relations and chief marketing officer. So, I oversee marketing, communications, alumni relations, and government relations. Essentially, all of our external facings stakeholder relationships are part of my portfolio.

What was your goal for working with Ologie?

We were facing a couple of challenges. Most significantly, we didn't have a unified brand for the University as a whole. I came here in the spring of 2013, and there was no brand platform or messaging strategy.

One of my first responsibilities was to launch an exploratory committee into creating the largest capital campaign in the university's history. I quickly realized the first step to launching the capital campaign would be developing a new, unified brand strategy.

I brought them on board to do marketing research, and build out a brand strategy, and subsequently to develop and design our advertising and messaging platforms as well.

What was your process for selecting Ologie with which to work?

I've worked with them previously. I was the CMO [chief marketing officer] for another university, and had hired them to do some branding strategy there as well. So I was familiar with their work, and when I launched a selection process here, I, of course, asked them to submit an RFP [request for proposal].

The quality of their work is first rate in my mind, and I've been pleased with the working relationship and all of the creative output up to this point.

Overall, it's been in the $250,000 to $500,000 range.

Can you tell me about the timeline of the project?

We initially engaged with them in June 2013, and they finished most of the work by April 2014. We recently brought them back to work on our various websites. They're redesigning several of our websites and doing some other web-related work. But, the bulk of the brand positioning work was done in those 11 months.

Can you talk about the results of the project and how you feel they performed?

Their work is just top notch. They built a secondary color palette for us. They did all of the logo lockups. You can imagine an institution of this size that didn’t have a brand platform in place, just a lot of the individual colleges were all kind of doing their own thing, in terms of messaging and material. So, they helped us standardize all of our marketing materials. They built a number of templates for us to use for advertising, both print and digital.

The work they've done for our website has also been really important to our brand. They did a lot of work with us to revamp the home page, and help us build out a better navigational structure for a lot of our sub pages. Not all of that work is done, but the home page redesign is complete, and it’s been really well accepted and embraced across campus.

If you talk to anyone in higher education, you'll hear that decentralization is a real challenge, and getting people to buy in to central platforms can be a tough sale. So, I think it speaks not only to the efforts that we undertook to make sure many different stakeholders were included early in the process, but also to the quality of the materials that Ologie produced, that people were inspired to use them and really get on board.

We’ve won several [American Advertising Awards] using the platform that they built for us. So, overall, the results have been fantastic.

I’ve worked with a lot of big agencies. I spent most of my career in financial services marketing with insurance companies, so I’m used to the big agencies like DDB [Worldwide] and BBDO. Ologie is a smaller boutique agency, and the quality of the relationships I've formed with their team is much better than what I experienced with other agencies. In addition, to the quality of the relationships, it's also the level of people who are engaged in your day-to-day work. Often in the bigger agencies, much of the work is assigned to more junior folks on the account, who maybe don’t have the depth and breadth of experience to bring the work to the next level. Ologie has great account managers, but you're also dealing with the leadership of the company, and you can't replace the value that brings to the project.

I think it goes without saying that in the higher education space, we obviously want to be working with really intelligent people. Everyone at Ologie is extremely sharp. I don't know how they handle their hiring process, but they obviously attract really well-educated, intelligent people.

No. I didn’t experience things like scope creep, or lack of clarity in billing, or any of the things that are somewhat common with agencies.

Being a smaller agency, one challenge I think they will face in the future is as they expand in areas like health care and higher education, they need to make sure they continue to build differentiated platforms for all the clients in the same category. I think they do a great job of that now, but it's definitely something they should keep an eye on.

Branding Refresh for Hartwick College

"The work they did for us really helped us sharpen our pitch to prospective students."

2008 - Ongoing

Ologie developed a brand strategy for a liberal college, helping to design their marketing materials and corporate identity system. They later performed a brand refresh and website redesign.

Oneonta, New York
Margaret Drugovich
President, Hartwick College

Ologie is exceptional at honing in on what makes an institution unique and providing fresh ideas and approaches. Their team is smart, thoughtful, and strives to provide their best work at all times. The number of applications received has almost tripled since the beginning of this partnership.

Please provide a description of your company.

Hartwick College  a traditional liberal college with approximately 1,550 students. We’re located in mid-state New York.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the president of the college.

What was your goal for working with Ologie?

When I became president, I looked at the way we were selling the college to our prospective students, and I felt that we weren’t making the value argument very effectively. We have an excellent education, high quality, and delivered well, but we just weren’t telling that story in a very compelling way. When we did tell it, it was inconsistent.

This is a small example, but we had at least 25 different kinds of business cards that our administrators were using. It's the little things that really tear away at the edges of your brand and what you’re trying to communicate.

Initially, I wanted them to come in and take a deep dive into our identity as a college, and help us develop those clear, crisp talking points about who we were and what we offered. They took a deep dive into the experience people have at [the college]. They did a lot of interviewing, and talked to many of our stakeholders. In addition to brand strategy, Ologie helped design our marketing materials and corporate identity system. Recently, we've brought them on to do a brand refresh and redesign our website.

What was your process for selecting Ologie with which to work?

This is actually the third time I’ve hired Ologie. Originally, I hired them when I was an administrator at Ohio Wesleyan. At that time, I had carefully screened all the major players in branding and felt Ologie was the best choice. They did a great job for us [previously], and so it was a no-brainer to bring them on here.

Our relationship with Ologie, has extended across several projects. In total, we've spent in the ballpark of $300,000.

What was the timeline of the project?

Our initial project with them was back in 2008. We've recently engaged them to do a brand refresh and redesign our website. I expect this project will be wrapped up within three or four more months.

Do you have any statistics, or metrics, or general feedback to show the success of the project?

The work they did for us really helped us sharpen our pitch to prospective students. The materials they helped us to produce communicated our message much more clearly.

In the last six years, we’ve been able to grow our applications significantly. We've almost tripled the number of applications that we received from the time I came on in 2008. I feel certain we wouldn't have been able to do that, without the work Ologie's done for us.

Every time Ologie looks at you, they do so with fresh eyes. While they work with a lot of colleges and universities, they are exceptional at honing in on what makes each one unique. They don’t try to short-cut and do the same things they’ve done before. They’re team is really smart and thoughtful. I feel like I'm getting their best work all the time.

Nothing comes to mind. I’m extremely happy with them.