A BRAND & DESIGN STUDIO IN PURSUIT OF BOLDER IDEAS

Driven by research and strategy, we craft impactful, unique designs for brands to make them stand out and connect with their audience.

Our co-founders, Andrea Van Der Ree and Will Ko, are a Latin and Chinese Canadian duo who bring new passions and perspectives to the market. We’re versatile, we’re multi-disciplinary, and we want to partner with people who are passionate about what they do. Let’s team up to elevate your brand and really connect with your audience.

2019
Vancouver, Canada
  • 1519 8th Ave East
    Vancouver, BC V5N 1T6

EA, Vancouver Coastal Health, Innisfree, Praxis Spinal Cord Institute, One Girl Can, Minimalism Wines, Virtuous Pie, ATCO, Iron Lion Training

Minimalism Wines Image

Minimalism Wines

Minimalism Wines is a boutique distributor of delicious craft wines. They focus on wines that are undressed, made with integrity, and reflective of their growers and makers.

Minimalism Wines asked us to design their brand identity and print collateral. Their brand values simplicity, so we created a clean & elevated visual identity with a green colour palette to represent their delicious selection of organic &

natural wines.
Let's Make Lemonade Image

Let's Make Lemonade

During the COVID-19 pandemic, brands and businesses needed to adapt to new customer behaviours and attitudes. With this in mind, Annabelle King from “I Like Storytelling” approached us to lead the design of her new online campaign. Our mission was to promote new marketing services for Annabelle’s clients that tackled their business problems in a time of uncertainty.

Our design for the campaign drew inspiration from the

tagline “Let’s make lemonade!” This message is complemented by a vibrant colour palette and lemonade-themed illustrations to deliver an optimistic outlook with a healthy splash of positivity.
Praxis Spinal Cord Institute Image

Praxis Spinal Cord Institute

Praxis Spinal Cord Institute is a not-for-profit organization that leads global collaboration in spinal cord injury research, innovation, and care. Building on their new visual identity, we designed a set of bold posters for their office that show off their new branding.

Vancouver Coastal Health Image

Vancouver Coastal Health

We partnered with a regional health authority, Vancouver Coastal Health, to design educational documents about COVID-19. These documents were instrumental in delivering crucial information on the virus, including how to deal with patients and how to stay safe. Our simple, custom illustrations helped to visualize life-saving concepts and step-by-step instructions.

Virtuous Pie Image

Virtuous Pie

Virtuous Pie is an elevated fast-casual restaurant that focuses on handcrafted pizza and ice cream, and is 100% made from plants. We designed new menus for their Toronto and Victoria locations, and gave them a unique look based on their venue and store interiors.

Branding Services for Import Wine Agency

"It felt like a mutually beneficial partnership."

Dec 2019 - Jan 2020

OK DAVE assisted with the branding and logo design of a new wine import agency. They produced original designs and a brand guide.

Rawan Kabra
Founder/Director, Minimalism Wines

The team at OK DAVE was integral to the establishment of Minimalism Wines. Their work gained positive feedback because of its originality and sophistication. Customers can expect an accommodating team that thrives working with young businesses.

I’m the founder and director of a wine import agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with OK DAVE?

I started my business last year, and I was seeking graphic and brand design services to help establish my company.

When I approached them, I didn’t have a logo or any brand materials. They helped me build my brand from the ground up and gave my business a voice. Their team built out the logo, color scheme, fonts, and design. Much of the work was original, including the logo and font.

They started by creating three brand identity options. After I chose my favorite identity option, they refined it and came out with a four-page brand guide. They also designed a promotional flyer for me to use to publicize a portfolio tasting I was doing.

I worked with Will (Co-Founder & Design Director) and Andrea (Co-Founder & Design Director).

How did you come to work with OK DAVE?

I came across their business via social media, and I reached out to them. Their pricing was competitive, and they were accommodating to working with my financial limitations as a new company.

I invested about $1,800.

I first contacted them in December 2019, and by the end of January 2020, we had finalized my brand.

It’s hard to put their impact into numbers. However, a lot of people have complimented my logo and brand. The designs they provided were original and helped me stand out.

How did OK DAVE perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. They provided various deadlines to me at the beginning of the project. They were great at communication and always kept in touch.

Their willingness to work with my budget was impressive. I also appreciated the support they provided to me as a small business, since they’re also a relatively new small business. It felt like a mutually beneficial partnership.

No, they did a great job. They did everything I asked and even went above and beyond the original scope.

Just communicate what you need and don’t be afraid to ask for something. They’re approachable and understanding, so they’ll always try to work with what you’ve got.

Campaign Design & Execution for Marketing Consultant

“They delivered a level of personal touch that made it clear they cared about what I was doing and about helping me.”

Apr. 2020

OK Dave provided a landing page, creative assets, and social media marketing services to a marketing consulting firm, helping them to pivot their offerings to meet their clients’ needs during the pandemic.

Annabelle King
Founder & Marketing Consultant, ilikestorytelling

The creative produced by OK Dave completely exceeded all project stakeholder requirements, receiving high levels of engagement and praise online and delivering an 11% click-through rate as well as a number of qualified leads. Their team is incredibly collaborative, hard-working, and personable.

I’m the founder of a marketing consultancy specializing in brand and digital storytelling. I do a lot of work with clients to figure out what their company story, vision, and mission is and then how to communicate that to the world.

What challenge were you trying to address with OK Dave?

A lot of my clients had to close their doors due to the pandemic because they are traditional retail and restaurant operations. Because of that, they were obviously not interested in longer-term strategic investments, and I needed to shift my offerings to more emergency marketing services that companies would find valuable in the midst of the current crisis.

We started with an initial idea brainstorming session to figure out how we could drive the project in a few different directions. They returned some initial concepts to me over the weekend, and once I decided on a particular one, they handled all of the creative development for the shift.

The assets they delivered included a web landing page with an email directing clients my way, as well as a number of posts on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook. They handled all of the designs for those and incorporated different design themes based on the different messages being presented in the post. I’ve since then been able to use their bespoke illustrations of lemons and lemonade for all kinds of webinars and presentations throughout my campaigns.

I worked directly with Andrea and Dave, who switched back and forth in terms of primary involvement depending on what piece of the project we were working on.

How did you come to work with OK Dave?

Originally, we met at a creative networking event and got to know each other pretty well because we were both relatively early on in our entrepreneurship journeys. We kept in touch with them about various things, and when I realized the need for this project I didn’t hesitate to turn to them.

The total cost of the project was around $5,000.

They turned around all of the deliverables in three weeks, starting and finishing the project in April 2020.

Everything that they delivered was organic as opposed to paid, so I don’t have some of the metrics that I might otherwise, but I do know that I got an 11% click-through rate on my emails, which was unbelievably high. I was very impressed with the results we got from that.

All of the engagement we got on social media was incredibly supportive as well, with a lot of people getting excited about what I was trying to do. I’ve gained 11 new business leads that were qualified and turned into initial consultations, at least three of which are now clients. And since then, I’ve been asked to speak at a conference because somebody had seen the campaign and was so impressed with the work.

How did OK Dave perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything happened incredibly quickly. They were able to turn around both new ideas and designs as well as the final products in incredibly short periods of time, which helped a huge amount in addressing the immediate needs of my clients because of the crisis. Being able to completely shift my company’s image and focus in three weeks was a better result than I could have hoped for.

Every time they set my expectations — which they laid out very clearly in terms of the delivery date and specific deliverables — they ended up giving me more and sooner. I was never worried or even wondered about what they were working on at any given time because they were so proactive about all of the project cost and time management.

One thing I really liked about OK Dave was that they were honest and optimistic and excited from the start. They jumped fully into the challenge with ideas that were vibrant and creative, but on top of that, they understood the reason and the strategy behind what I was trying to do.

Because of that understanding, they were able to take my idea and add to it and bring it to life in a way that I wouldn’t have been able to on my own. They delivered a level of personal touch that made it clear they cared about what I was doing and about helping me.

From this campaign in particular, I really don’t have anything I wish they had done differently.

Be willing and open to share all of the information about what you are working on. Given the full picture, they will be far more able to look after and serve your interest than if you are not entirely forthcoming with their team. The why is a big part of the work for them.