Branding + Creative Agency // Rethink Luxury

Founded in 1986, The O Group is an independently owned branding and creative agency headquartered in New York City with offices in Seattle. Our focus from the beginning has been to reimagine how luxury brands are shaped. Many people can identify where luxury came from. Our mission is to help shape where it’s headed. We do that by becoming true partners to our clients and helping them define a unique brand voice inside the ever-changing and growing marketplace.

Our highly strategic and creative teams work collaboratively with every client. We have developed a proven, results-oriented process that insures success and delivers work that inspires.

1986

Fetzer Vinyards

Diageo

Garrard

Website Redesign for Audio Visual Company

"They are extremely responsive and very knowledgeable."

2006 - Present

The O Group redesigned the client's website to better connect with their target customer.

Greater New York City Area
Franklin Karp
COO, Audio Video Systems

The O Group did extensive research, going as far as calling some of the company's vendors to gain an in-depth understanding of the company, which yielded a sizeable spike in user traffic.

Audio Video Systems is a custom integrator of, primarily, consumer electronics for residential purposes. We do everything that gets involved with electronics in the home, whether it's lighting, audio visual, or WiFi. We integrate with security and HVAC [heating, ventilation, and air conditioning], the total smart home solution.

I am the chief operating officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with The O Group?

The specific challenge was that most of our business is on a referral basis from architects, designers, and builders. It's not really B2B [business-to-business]. They understood the brand and what we were trying to do.

When I joined this company 10 years ago, the first thing I looked at was the existing website, the logo, and the look of the company and everything was old and stale. I called Orit and, of course, she agreed and set about redoing the look and how we presented ourselves to the world. They did the first re-do of our website back then, and last year, we relaunched a newer website.

How did you come to work with The O Group?

I had heard Orit speak at a conference, so she was already in my head. I saw the work that they did and the kind of brands that they work with. My own background was from high-end luxury consumer electronics retailing in New York, so I had a feel for what it was that we needed to do and how we needed to present. I was very comfortable with Orit and her team being able to polish up our brand, which is exactly what they did.

How much have you invested with The O Group?

An average project would be around $15,000 to $20,000.

It began in 2006. It is ongoing.

I can tell you unequivocally that the stats that I get back from the new website are great. And now that we're totally mobile friendly, the views from phones and tablets have gone through the roof.

I work in the office the vast majority of the time, so when we get a cold call or an email, they come to me for follow up and qualifying, and invariably, every call that I get are from people that have been on the website.

How did The O Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been fantastic. They're usually ahead of me.

What did you find most impressive about The O Group?

They took the time, not only because what we deliver is an interesting product, but because everybody has some form of consumer electronics in their home. They got out on the road and they visited our competitors. They didn't just go to their websites. They put in the effort to really become familiar, or even more familiar, with the categories that we were involved with. They've actually reached out to some of my vendors to get a feel for what it is we do; I was very impressed.

Are there any areas The O Group could improve?

Honestly, no.

They were always ready and prepared, and we were always the ones that slowed the process down, not them.
    Based upon my prior experience, I would say that their pricing is very fair. It's Manhattan, and I understand that. I got what I paid for.
    They are extremely responsive and very knowledgeable.
    I have referred them already.

Branding and Website Design and Development for Luxury Coffee Company

"Jason's ability to articulate the brand was almost magical. The way he can word things is phenomenal."

The O Group was hired to do a complete branding process including website design and development for a luxury coffee company using Magento.

Small business

Greater New York City Area
Founder, Luxury Coffee Company

The O Group received near-perfect reviews across the board with the client noting their availability as well as their natural ability to turn a client's vision into reality.

For more than 20 years, I've been sourcing and roasting some of the world's most amazing coffees. In addition to that, I am a licensed quality grader. I'm one of about 1,000 people around the world who has a designation for assessing, analyzing, and scoring coffees. I am also an International Cup of Excellence judge. I travel the world to coffee growing regions like Colombia, Burundi, Kenya, and Costa Rica. We're always trying to help our farmers and producers as roasters and sourcers to create better coffee. It can often be the simplest thing that's happening at the farm level that will make a huge difference. I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with The O Group?

In 2012, I realized that I wanted to curate these very high-end line of coffees. Nothing exists in this marketplace, and I recognized that that's what I wanted to bring to market. There's a place for it but, to create the brand identity, I was up against a wall for something coming across as luxurious. That's when I did a lot of research. I ran across a blog post by Jason Cohen, the vice president at The O Group. It resonated – it's as if he wrote it to me. It was all about how you've been providing an amazing product – you're a customer for years,  and I feel like it's the time for me to niche up and put something together. It went on to say you can do that but, without direction, you're spinning your wheels. I looked them up and gave them a call. We went outside of our market to find someone who specialized in similar products. They had a foundation to understand our market versus going to someone who does website development or IT [information technology].

We did brand ID from start to finish short of the name. They were able to vet it and see if it would work in the category, and they felt it did. That was a huge part of it –  creating the logo. A spectacular crest was important to me. I loved the process from all the information they gathered for me to information about the marketplace to how they created my logo, how they created the voice, how we went through the process of creating that target market, and what component I wanted to speak to. The website is the foundation – it's my biggest sales tool. It's a direct to consumer e-commerce driven brand. They were very instrumental in the visualization of the website and the look and feel of our site. From the imagery definition to the illustrations on our home page slider to the simplicity of our limited product line and how it conveys. It's very to the point. It was built on Magento.

How did you come to work with The O Group?

The blog post definitely got my attention. I interviewed five comparable creative agencies. I feel like the founder and owner [CEO Orit] understood my vision for bringing this brand to life. The entire team was completely excited about what the product was and took the time to listen. During the interview process, they grasped what I was trying to say. I feel like The O Group was centered where I had a bigger chance for exposure among their influence and influencers. I interviewed companies in Atlanta that weren't connecting with what I was trying to do.

How much have you invested with The O Group?

For the brand identity, it was $50,000 to $200,000. That included a couple of the things I did through them like having illustrations made.

It's an open and close project. We created brand identity and set the stage. The website launched in January 2015. We did a few projects with them through March 2015.

The social media engagement program they created was very successful in terms of attracting people to our social media.

How did The O Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They put out a schedule, and I would say they operated within 80 percent of it. I always had to travel to New York to meet with them, so there was some give and take related to the scheduling. They were 90 percent on track with the schedule.

What did you find most impressive about The O Group?

Orit's enthusiasm for understanding what this brand potential was with just a few sentences from me. She got it right away. Jason's ability to articulate the brand was almost magical. The way he can word things is phenomenal.

Are there any areas The O Group could improve?

I think one thing that happened was that website development technology was changing while we were doing the site. The website development technology was changing from having to outsource building to the Shopify model. I couldn't shift gears and do something else because I was already 70 percent down a path with this other type of website build. I feel like we sometimes didn't always see eye to eye on how to get the project done. It was probably just me not changing with the technology, but I wouldn't throw all that away.

Overall Score They know what they're doing.
    They were always available.

Strategy and Positioning for Luxury Alcohol Brand

"The O Group created a brand that could appeal to every stakeholder in the process."

2014 - Ongoing

The O Group has repositioned an international brand to appeal to the American consumer. They now apply a holistic marketing strategy to print and digital collateral to relay the desired look and feel.

51- 200 Employees

New York City
Efren Puente
Principle, Magnum Cream Liquor

The O Group applies their holistic brand vision to each communications challenge, successfully curating a cohesive identity. The team identifies and targets each applicable demographic for optimal market penetration.

My company is Magnum, and we are charged with bringing a brand called Magnum Cream Liqueur to the United States. We've been in existence since 2014 and are responsible for positioning and sales – virtually everything related to bringing Magnum to the United States.

I am the brand director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with The O Group?

Magnum was a well-known brand in the rest of the world before it came to America. We honestly were not ready for prime time, not ready for the American consumer. The American consumer is probably the most sophisticated in the world, particularly in the area of alcohol and, specifically, luxury alcohol. Given the sophistication of the American consumer, any brand that wants to enter the US market faces a unique set of challenges. I needed help in positioning and presenting the Magnum proposition in a way that would be both compelling and relevant to the American consumer.

I'm looking for what I call look and feel – what the brand looks like, what it feels like. I'm not sure if "positioning" is the best term, but when I see a brand, it should have a certain je ne sais quoi about it. That is something I get – and I think the consumer, whether or not they're aware of it – will get as well. I would say that the scope of the work was an overall positioning of the brand, almost an aesthetic challenge.

It is important to note that while the target was the US, and The O Group needed to launch the brand successfully in the United States, the work that they did for me would impact the brand globally. The global website and the global look and feel now reflect the work that The O Group did, even though the focus was only on the U.S.

Did their work extend into packaging, labeling, advertising, and so forth?

The packaging and labeling already existed. The O Group just needed to polish and present the existing packaging and labeling. They, of course, handled advertising, even though that's not necessarily a major thrust of mine. But, having some print ads available was key to getting some events behind the brand.

How did you come to work with The O Group?

I've been in the wine and spirits business for 20 years. My longest stint during that time was many years ago when I was working for a company called Schieffelin & Somerset, a joint venture between Diageo and Moet Hennessy. That's where I was introduced to The O Group because they had done work with both the Moet Hennessy and Diageo brands. That was my first introduction to them. It's become a relationship that I've kept up in time as I worked on other projects for other companies.

I'd say we've spent somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000 working with The O Group.

What was the timeline of this engagement?

My current relationship with The O Group began in 2014 and is ongoing. As the brand continues to expand, I have plans to engage with them in other aspects of my marketing. I'm definitely committed to continuing working with them.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or other feedback from your work with The O Group?

It's a bit difficult to measure at this point in the brand's life because it's still so new. I would say the ultimate goal at this time is establishing Magnum in America. From that standpoint, their work has served Magnum well.

What distinguishes The O Group from other providers?

It's definitely their holistic approach. No matter what the assignment is that they tend to look at a brand holistically. That means how the brand exists not only on an advertising page, but also how it exists in the trade, all the different outlets that Magnum would be in – places where brands that I've worked in the past have been. Actually, it's an approach that considers not just the scope of the particular project but goes beyond that, that looks at the overall branding.

The O Group created a brand that could appeal to every stakeholder in the process, whether that is a liquor storeowner, a distributor, or the ultimate customer. I appreciated their holistic attitude.

Is there anything The O Group could have improved or done differently?

They are one of the better agencies I've worked with – that's why I continued to work with them. I don't see much that I would change. If I had to change anything, I'd change my ability to work with them more often. I wouldn't say there is anything they need to change.

Rebrand for Marble and Tile Manufacturer

"It was clear that they had a keen grasp on what it took to create a brand, and not just a clever advertising campaign."

Jan. 2015 - Oct. 2015

The O Group launched a rebranding campaign to expand into commercial sales while retaining a B2B component. Work went from high-level strategizing down to logo design and specific print and digital collateral.

New York City Metro Area
VP Marketing, Marble and Tile Distributor

The O Group demonstrated an upbeat, positive demeanor across their talented team of creatives. Senior partners were involved in all aspects of the work. They delivered quickly and were responsive to change requests. Project management was a strong suit.

We are importers, distributors, retailers, and designers of luxury tile and stone products. We’ve been in business for about 29 years.

I’m the vice president of marketing, as well as a partner in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with The O Group?

We've had a very successful marketing program for over ten years that was run by a well-respected agency here in New York, but it was time for us to update our brand.

We did have some specific challenges we were facing. We were trying to expand into commercial sales while also trying to refresh our brand in our more traditional market, which consists of residential sales. We are very recognized in the industry, but the common perception about our company was that our prices were too high, which is why it was crucial to reinforce our position as a high-end luxury brand.

We didn’t know exactly what we wanted the scope to be when we first started. Originally we just wanted The O Group to help us out with creating a brand strategy. Eventually the work evolved into a total rebrand, including updating our logo and collateral materials.

One of their main areas of focus in the rebrand was conveying the authenticity of our brand. Our product is one that, people who know masonry and stonework, can discern as special and of a higher level than our competitors' product. It’s harder for people who are laymen in this business, or casual consumers, to really discern that qualitative difference. The O Group helped us a lot by coming up with some different and creative ways of differentiating our product on the showroom floor. The logo design has been a particular success because it's a physical object that we can include in all of our products.

How did you come to work with The O Group?

My mother found them; she’s the CEO and founder of the business. I don’t actually know how she found them. We interviewed probably seven or eight different ad firms, and we worked with one very closely about eight months before we hired The O Group. Our experience was good at first, and then it turned sour when we wanted to revise some of their suggestions. They were very defensive, not collaborative, and they felt as though we were impinging their artistic integrity. They chose not to move forward with us.

We found a very different attitude with The O Group. We found them to be very warm and welcoming. We got along with The O Group right away. We had really good collaborative sessions before we hired them. It was clear that they had a keen grasp on what it took to create a brand and not just a clever advertising campaign. This is what enticed us, in addition to the quality of their past work. They were able to present a very, very strong portfolio.

Also, in our past experiences with other agencies, what's always happened is that you see the high-level people during the sales process, but then once you’ve hired them, they disappear and you're left working with the junior account managers. That has not been our experience with The O Group at all, it’s been the opposite. We’ve had the same team from start to finish, and it’s the very top people there that we are in easy and regular contact with. It’s really been an excellent experience.

I would say in total we've spent a few hundred thousand dollars with them. An individual print advertising project, where they own the photo shoot, copy, etc. is probably in the $50,000 range. They've been a real pleasure to work with from a cost perspective, though. They're not the cheapest you can find, but they're not as expensive as some of the big-time NYC agencies.

I think we started somewhere around January 2015, or a little after. The project is mostly wrapped up right now October 2015, having received most of our deliverables.

What have been the results of this project? Can you share any statistics or metrics from this engagement?

In addition to the rebranding project, we've produced four new print advertisements. One has been delivered, and we’re waiting on the other three. The O Group is also going to be creating some digital assets for us from these ads, taken from the photo shoot.

Throughout the project, The O Group has been super responsive and very quick to turn around materials and ideas. We’re a family business, and we can be challenging to work with, as we have a lot of very strong opinions that have to be in agreement for us to move forward. The O Group has handled that gracefully.

We’re very pleased with the results. We haven’t introduced the majority of their work yet, but we love our new logo. They provided us with a style and branding guides like nothing we ever had before. They are really helping us refine our artwork and the creativity that we produce. It’s exciting because, although it confines us, it gives us consistency and professionalism, something we haven’t had before. I think we’re producing at a much higher level internally as a result of those guidelines.

Our staff is excited about the new direction. All the people that we have shown previews to, are giving us very, very positive responses. I can’t give a specific metric, because this hasn’t gone live. However, subjectively, we’re really big fans of the work.

What distinguishes The O Group from other providers?

They’ve got great attitudes and they employ very good people as well. They’re super upbeat, and very smart. They seem to have a very positive work environment, and they roll with the punches really well. We can be hard to work with, but they worked with us with much grace. They were able to shepherd us through the project in an environment that I’m sure was very challenging for them. They never let it show. I think they’re just exceptional professionals, with a great creative team and excellent management.

Is there anything The O Group could have improved or done differently?

I don’t really have any criticism. I think they understood us well. They took their time understanding us, and they responded well when we would come back without approval of things they were giving to us, or when we would change directions on something. They handled it very well, so I can’t really say anything they could do better. In all, it’s been a very positive experience.

They were very reasonable.
    I was very impressed.
    as long as it’s not a competitor.