Experts in Modern Software Development

Silver

GRAPHQL - REACT - REACT NATIVE - GO - TYPESCRIPT - JAVASCRIPT...

We have worked on everything from enterprise software to open source projects. Funded startups to Fortune 500 enterprises, universities, and non-profits. Whether you need additional developers, a fresh outlook or an expert opinion, we love solving tough problems with new friends.

CI / CD

Growth & Marketing

Irvine, CA
  • 17752 Sky Park Cir Ste 280
    Irvine, CA 92614

Clients and projects have included: Pictaboo (Now SnapChat), HyreCar, Passport Brand Design, OpenCastings, Crashlabs Llc., Shiftovation,  College Path Weekly and a leading educational fundraising company.

College Path

In an effort to democratize the college admissions process, Greg Kaplan combined his years of experience as a college admissions officer and content from his nationally recognized book to create College Path, a  program designed to deliver bite-sized pieces of information tailored to each student.

Raizzz

Raizzz is a fundraising platform for high schools. The app allows students to access deals from merchants in their local vicinity while supporting their local high schools. Raizzz started out as an analogue business through printing of physical discount cards. Through the help of Novvum, we transitioned this business model into the digital world helping them expand their market and increase their bottom line.

HyreCar

HyreCar connects rideshare drivers to people who want to rent their own car for extra income. Since their inception 3 years ago, they have matched more than 200,000 drivers with cars. With this growing user base and their explosive growth as a company, their technology couldn't scale as well. Novvum rebuilt their entire front end and back end in an accelerated timeline of 8 months. We've helped them build their entire

product from the ground up until their IPO in 2018.

Open Castings

OpenCastings is the exclusive network connecting next generation talent to opportunities in entertainment.

Development for a Fundraising Company

"They are a motivated group of talented minds and I am glad we found them."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

NOVVUM designed and developed a mobile app for iOS and Android that acts as a digital discount card fundraiser for schools and youth organizations nationwide.

Jack W. Sherratt
CEO, Raizzz, LLC

In addition to delivering a well-designed, affordable first version of the app, NOVVUM has provided access to top-tier developers on their team. They've been incredibly responsive, understanding, and proactive about achieving project success throughout the engagement.

I'm a founder and the CEO of Raizzz, LLC, a fundraising technology company.

What challenge were you trying to address with NOVVUM?

After years of plastic discount card fundraising for schools, we wanted to create an app that would allow our customers to utilize the benefits, convenience and popularity of digital community discounts and coupons.

NOVVUM took our basic ideas and concepts and designed a mobile app for iOS and Android that replaced our plastic discount card fundraising program. Our app combines the benefits of a discount card with the convenience of a smartphone.  It's a great upgrade for the sellers, the buyers, and the businesses that support it with community discounts.

NOVVUM has provided us with a network of capable developers throughout our build, but we probably work with about 3 or 4 people closely.

How did you come to work with NOVVUM?

We spent 10 weeks searching for a developer, including looking on Clutch, and interviewed a dozen dev shops globally. We chose NOVVUM because they understood our vision and they were the best fit for our company.

We've invested over $100,000.

Our relationship with NOVVUM started in February 2017, and they continue to provide us with maintenance and support.

Even though our company has been in the fundraising industry since 1997, our new program is still very new, so we don't have many metrics to report as of yet. That said, we do have close to 10,000 downloads across iOS and Android platforms and the feedback from our end-users has been mostly positive. Our customer base has grown over 100% since the inception of the app and we are happy with the trajectory of the company. NOVVUM continues to do an excellent job of responding to our feedback and will be a major contributor as we start the process of building out version 2.0 of our app.

How did NOVVUM perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very responsive, organized, and instrumental in helping us achieve our goals.

In addition to being competitively priced, I like that one of their offices is only an hour away from our offices. The ability to meet with key members of their team from time to time really helped our collaboration. We've also had direct access to their top developers when needed.

Nothing significant. They are a motivated group of talented minds and I am glad we found them.

Yes, make sure to interview as many developers as you can and then contact NOVVUM. You’ll be glad you did.

Development for a Car Sharing Platform

"I have worked with a few agencies, but none has cared about the customer as much as NOVVUM."

Sept. 2017 - Dec 2018

NOVVUM rebuilt a custom platform from scratch to replace a legacy system. The team used GraphQL, React, and a third-party CRM. They then migrated data to the new platform.

Abhishek Arora
Founder and CTO, HyreCar

Upgraded functionalities and stability resulted in positive user feedback. NOVVUM leveraged their curiosity and industry knowledge to resolve every challenge. The team provided exemplary service.

I’m the founder and CTO of HyreCar, a car sharing platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with NOVVUM?

When our company transitioned from a full offshore team to a fully onshore partnership, we didn’t have the internal resources to renovate our legacy platform. We hired NOVVUM to convert our legacy system and build a new code base.

NOVVUM spoke with our customers to identify missing pieces on the frontend. The team aimed to adjust the user experience and upgrade backend functionalities from scratch. They then developed a custom backend on GraphQL and admin screen, which we used to manage customers alongside a third-party CRM. The team used React for the frontend and then migrated all data on to the new system.

We worked with four people including the project manager.

How did you come to work with NOVVUM?

We considered multiple vendors, but NOVVUM stood out. The team understood our business needs as a startup. They also possessed an impressive degree of technical knowledge.

We started working together in September 2017 and the partnership ended in December 2018.

NOVVUM eliminated nearly all the outages we experienced on the legacy system. Downtime is now almost nonexistent. We also received positive feedback from users and internal stakeholders.

How did NOVVUM perform from a project management standpoint?

Rather than jumping in blind, NOVVUM dedicated time to learn about our business. This strategy enhanced the team’s performance.

I have worked with a few agencies, but none has cared about the customer as much as NOVVUM. The team successfully took on challenges that our business team hadn’t initially thought through because they understood the nature of our product.

No, I can’t think of anything.

NOVVUM is a small team that uses cutting-edge technology. They are up to speed on the latest trends in mobile development.

Web Dev for College Advising Platform

"They really had an appreciation for the user as the driver of success for this project."

Dec. 2016 - Jul. 2017

NOVVUM created a unique software program that provides custom college admissions information to subscribers based on their interests and goals. They also helped with SEO and search engine management.

Orange County, California
Greg Kaplan
CEO & Founder, College Path

The program is the first of its kind and has transformed the business from personal interactions to providing virtual admissions advice. NOVVUM understood the industry, the purpose of the project, and the needs of the end user. The team communicated regularly with excellent follow-on support.

I'm the founder of College Path, a two-person company that provides college admissions advice to middle and high school students and their parents in preparation for the college admissions process.

What challenge were you trying to address with NOVVUM?

With Novvum, we were trying to figure out how to create a product that takes human interactions, that are very expensive for people to acquire, and open it to many more people while still providing the same great advice that we're used to giving in person.

I wanted people to understand my business and to create something that was efficient but engaging.

They were responsible for creating a software program that is transforming our business from person-to-person interactions to a program that provides some of the advice.

They also help with search engine management and search engine optimization.

Together we built a program that's is the first virtual advisor of college admissions advice. They created a program that delivers custom admissions information to subscribers based on their own unique interests and goals. They used my existing content to create a program that guides students and parents through the admissions process.

I worked with a team of approximately four Novvum staff. We would communicate either in person or over the phone for one extended conversation per week with e-mail, text or phone call support as well.

Novvum created the team but they worked with me to make sure that it was a good fit.

How did you come to work with Novvum?

I started from scratch with them.

I scoured the web. We are both located in Orange County, California, so that's how I came to know them. I interviewed probably a dozen development firms throughout the world and ultimately decided to work with Novvum because they understood my business and what I was trying to accomplish. That meant a lot to me.

It was hard to find someone that I could trust apart from them and that understood what I was trying to create for the end user. They really had an appreciation for the user as the driver of success for this product. I can't say how appreciative I am for that perspective

Approximately $25,000.

It’ll be December through July 2017.

Our feedback on the user interface has been extremely positive. I cannot stress that enough, that the feedback has been very positive.

They were satisfactory.

I think it was their ability to get to the purpose of why we're building a product and that's I think their greatest skill, that they understand the business.

No, at this point, I'm satisfied with the process.

They were very flexible.
    Everything was consistent with the budget that they provided at the onset of the process.
    The user interface is impeccable.
    If it is a good fit, it would be a five.

MVP Development for Software Platform Startup

"They’re very good at taking an idea and bringing that idea to something that’s real and that I can actually touch."

Jun. 2016 - Ongoing

Novvum worked with a startup to develop an MVP software platform using an existing wireframe design with the goal of turning it into a viable business.

Startup

Los Angeles, California Area
Founder, Software Platform Development

Novvum created something tangible from the client's vision that each stakeholder was happy to share with the world. They stuck to budgets and had strong project managers.

My company is an early stage software as a service platform focused on food and beverage incentives for salespeople. I’m the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Novvum?

I needed a vendor to develop an MVP [minimum viable product] launch of my platform so that I could grow the idea and turn it into a successful business venture.

It was 99% development. There was a small amount of design work that we paid for, but mostly it was development. We’re using Algolia, Zapier, and GraphQL. Those are the types of services that we are using in the backend. We’re building a top, next generation web services to bring it to market as cheaply as we can.

How did you come to work with Novvum?

I met them at a co-working space, and we talked. I got competitive bids from a more standard app development company and talked to them too, so I didn’t go in totally blind. But as far as how I met them, it was a handshake, and then I went and did a little bit of research to see, from a cost standpoint, how they’d fit in.

How much have you invested with Novvum?

We’ve spent about $50,000 with Novvum.

The timeline is roughly 6 months. They’re no longer the lead, but we’re still working on a piecemeal basis with them.

It’s early days so not really.

What did you most impressive about Novvum?

What is unique about them is they are very good at taking a concept that is not fully hashed out. They’re very good at taking an idea and bringing that idea to something that’s real and that I can actually touch. I think Novvum has done a good job on that. That’s what I think their skill set is.

Are there any areas Novvum could improve?

I would be more critical to them than it’s fair for review because, in general, I think they have done a very fantastic job. It’s my nature to nitpick on that type of stuff. If I had to give them one high-level piece of advice, they are very good developers, but when a business is coming to them, part of what they are looking for is making sure you are comfortable with the people you’re working with. Part of that is having proper management in place. I’m not sure how to say that without coming off overly critical. I think they have done a nice job as far as being the young, entrepreneurial type of people, but I do think they need to shore up the project management side of their business.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Novvum?

Put some time into a well-crafted project brief.

Most of the time, it’s fine but I have had to kick it to get things completed a few times.
    They are very cost effective.
    Most of the time, they do a fantastic job. There have been times when things have gotten pushed off and haven’t properly been thought through.

Web and Mobile App Development for Video Casting Company

"The turnaround time is in days, not weeks, which is amazing."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

Novvum helped the client repair a previously broken iPhone app, and subsequently developed a new one from scratch. The team helps the client in product planning and developing a technology stack.

Orange County, California
Co-Founder, OpenCastings

Novvum is able to deliver on the client’s needs quickly and with a high quality of work. The team builds features to develop the product without needing to be asked as a show of proactivity and investment in the product’s success. When bugs arise, they are typically fixed within a day.

I am a co-founder of OpenCastings, an app that allows actors and actresses to self-tape and self-submit their audition tapes using iPhones. We are a startup in the film, media, and television markets. Our target market customers are performers and casting directors. We have 10 people in the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Novvum?

We originally had a broken product in the marketplace. It was built in a framework that we were excited about and had invested a lot of money in. The original challenge was, “Can you get this thing that is broken working again?”

Novvum had to go into the codebase of the original product and make some adjustments. Their first goal was to fix the existing product. That required them to have a fairly sophisticated knowledge of the codebase along with understanding our business case and business goal. They built patches we never anticipated in the first place because the original team did not do a very good job.

As we developed as a company, we realized that we had the wrong target market and pivoted away from HR and our original concept of video interviewing. We developed a new vision for the product. Novvum developed it based on the old product, but completely rebuilt. They are now working with React to build our MVP as an iPhone app. It will also be available on Android. Novvum also built a responsive web app for casting directors.

Novvum’s involvement has many facets. One would be platform reliability and consulting for our already existing platform. Another is bug fixes and performance improvements of the existing platform. After we pivoted, we worked together in product planning by outlining a scope of work. We retained them on an ongoing basis to begin to build these features we had scoped out in a very Lean and Agile way. Novvum developed our tech stack and its strategy, including our infrastructure, managing the backend and developing the front-end. We provided wireframes, but when where there are gaps in our product, they fill those gaps themselves. They are helping us through the process of customer development right now.

Our core value-creating activity is self-taping, and that happens with the iPhone camera. Raj and Rohit built a Native React component that allows for video capture, which is pretty straightforward on the iPhone, as well as review and redo. This allows the user to capture video, play it back before uploading it to our Amazon database, and then decide whether or not they want to submit or redo an audition. Since there are no Native React components that can do this, they had to build it from scratch. We’re one of the only companies now on the market that has that specific feature for React. Rohit built a web app that allows casting directors to review the auditions submitted for each production. It’s a split screen where half the screen is headshots that have come in and the other half populates with the video audition for that person as you click on each headshot. If you get 50 submissions per role, you can watch all the video auditions individually as you click on headshots. Novvum also built actor profiles similar to IMDb for the Native experience, but we have not pushed that codebase live yet.

How did you come to work with Novvum?

We shared an office wall with Novvum for months and were on informal terms with each other on a daily basis. As happens in co-working spaces, we talked about our projects and they wanted to take a look. Out of all the people that we interviewed, I could tell they had a legitimate interest in our product and not saying that only to get our business. They were also honest and transparent in their pricing.

How much have you invested with Novvum?

We have spent roughly $50,000 on their services.

They became formalized in the project last September 15. We are increasing our business relationship with them. We recently implemented a process called macroplanning regarding organizational priorities. I see the beginnings of a team forming between us. We are encouraging some more broad strategic conversations with them relative to the future of their company.

The metrics I would use to judge my satisfaction with them is development velocity—how many days it takes to get work done. I have been developing software as a project manager for about 8 years, and their development velocity is so high. It is awesome. The turnaround time is in days, not weeks, which is amazing. Raj will build things that we never even asked for because it improves the product. It is faster than what I have ever had before, which is nice. Raj does a good job of being proactive. Sometimes, he fills the gaps in our product better than if we would have offered him our solutions. Anytime there is a bug, Raj fixes it usually within a day. It’s great that he built things in React since it is a straightforward framework that also works for Android. They have a surprisingly keen eye for design as engineers and we discuss our design influences. They will go to IMDb, Workpop, or other competitors to use them as a guide if we have not already provided mockups of what we want. We are trying to convince these guys to quit their agency and come work with us full-time because they are so good.

How did Novvum perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management is something that we are pretty good at. One of the things that their principal has done for us is force us to take a strong look at leading startup mentality as it relates to project management and product management. As to the project management process, we review all the high-priority open items every Monday. Anything that is not prioritized or in the backlog is reassessed. We do daily wrap-ups Monday and Tuesday to make sure we are on the right track for the week. On Friday, we have what we call "stand down," which is a review of what we accomplished in the week.

What did you find most impressive about Novvum?

Novvum is reasonably priced and has a fair pricing system. They are honest. They are gifted engineers and are outperforming in that regard. The majority of the people I have worked with are a bit shifty and boisterous on what they can actually do, but Novvum is the opposite. They never overpromise and are always able to deliver on what they say they can do. I appreciate the fact that they believe in the product. They had a conversation with us in the very beginning saying, “We don’t take all the clients who approach us. We only take clients who we believe in.”

Are there any areas Novvum could improve?

They should consider growing their team. I do not know how they would handle scaling up their service to us.

Overall Score I am very happy with them and feel like I learn a lot from them, which is huge. I feel lucky to have them on our team.
    They are ahead of schedule 80% of the time.
    They were willing to bend over backward for us, knowing that we can potentially have a lot of work for them as we get funded.
    They are the best team I have worked with, and I have worked with teams domestically and internationally. I love that they are also accessible.

Silver