Strategy, Branding and Design

We belive in the power of brands to shape and define lifestyles.

Powerful brands are built from the inside out around a clear and pointed belief. Our Lifestyle Lens sheds light on people’s needs, emotions, and aspirations — and gets to the heart of why a brand makes their daily lives better. We work in partnership with our clients to create distinct brands that deepen consumer connections and build lasting relationships.

From brand strategy, to brand development, and brand expression:

• It’s better to stand for something clear than be everything to everyone. Trust begins with being true to who you are, inside and out.

• Great branding is not a trend. Design should be custom-made based on what’s right for each brand.

• Strong brands question, listen, learn, and evolve. We believe in asking tough questions and sharing honest perspectives.

2000
San Francisco, CA
  • 1616 16th Street Suite #370
    San Francisco, CA 94103

Tile, Pacific Catch, World Wrapps, PG&E, Planet, Uber, Good Food Awards, Eat Drink SF (GGRA), SF Design Center, Twitter, Anova, Sysdig, Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance, Swing Left, SHN, Sipsong Spirits, Dovana Delights, Faraday Bikes, Spare the Air, In/Visible Talks, Planet, Mobiliti, Socola Chocolates, MacRostie Vineyards, Personality Hotels, Hotel Union Square, Vertigo Hotel, OM Edibles, Kiva Confections and more

World Wrapps: branding

World Wrapps, a West Coast restaurant chain and a pioneer in the creation of gourmet wraps, has been tempting San Francisco foodies since the early 1990s. In 2017, the original owners, three longtime friends, are back to boldly take the chain into the future. One of their first tasks: reposition the brand to show that World Wrapps’s days of innovation aren’t behind them.

In order to recapture the hearts, minds, and

appetites of guests, the new brand positioning highlights the global nature of the restaurant’s flavors. We summed this up in a new tagline: Destination Flavor. Travel served as inspiration for an update to the brand positioning and brand identity. The logotype’s stamped texture was inspired by street food signage mixed with a passport stamp, while the color palette conjures images of a Moroccan spice market.

H2O+ Beauty: packaging

As H2O+ got ready to launch a new line of sensitive skin care and body products, they challenged us with designing packaging to catch the eyes of a different demographic and signal a shift in the company’s commitment to developing cleaner products.

Skunk Factory packaging

As Skunk Factory prepared to launch into the market, they came to Noise 13 to create packaging for their handheld vape kit, cartridges, and forthcoming flower.

We loved their established street style aesthetic. With that as inspiration, we built a brand identity that showcases their bold, ambitious, and unapologetic attitude, one that will appeal uniquely to their base of younger (25+) cannabis consumers.

/>

One of Skunk Factory’s primary goals was to elevate their packaging to highlight the product quality. We developed the base packaging using a sleek, uncoated black paper stock with a palette of black, white, and metallic silver. For the flavor indicator, we were inspired by caution tape. By repeating stripes and text—mimicking street signs and streetwear fashions—and incorporating pops of bright color with a glossy sticker, we were able to punch up the look and feel of the brand.

Tipping Point: annual campaign

Tipping Point Community is a highly respected Bay Area non-profit committed to fighting poverty by distributing funds from high-profile donors to thoroughly vetted and effective organizations. They sought out Noise 13 to create a campaign concept that could lay the foundation for an annual appeal mailer, series of newsletters, presentation templates and microsite to showcase their annual report.

Sipsong Spirits: identity and package

Tara asked Noise 13 to create a brand and label design that would visually represent her holistic and strongly feminine identity.

Paso Robles Wine Country: website

The Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance asked Noise 13 to help reimagine its brand and website by creating a user experience that would help travelers easily find what they are looking for, whether they are planning their trip or they are already on the road.

SHN: member brochure

The hit musical Hamilton broke new ground, set new records, and inspired huge numbers of new audiences to come to the theater. SHN, the long-time home for Broadway in San Francisco, experienced a flood of new membership thanks to their production of Hamilton. As the next season approached, SHN had one clear goal in mind: to keep these new members for the upcoming season. They challenged Noise 13 to find creative ways to engage

these newer members without ignoring their loyal, longstanding patrons. This is the second season for this series of work

Amber & Ash: branding and product

The client brief was essentially a blank slate: create a brand, from scratch, in the hyper-competitive market of cell phone accessories. The only parameters were to focus on women, sell solely online, and set a reasonable price point. Noise 13 worked on everything from brand strategy and naming, to identity, product and package design.

In/Visible Talks: Branding

In/Visible Talks is the Bay Area’s leading conference that celebrates the art of design and creativity. Our founder, Dava Guthmiller, is also the co-founder of INVT. Noise 13 does all the brand and design work for this annual conference.

Dovana: branding & package

Recognizing white space in the evolving edibles market, the founders of Dovana came to us with a vision of a sophisticated cannabis-infused caramel. The mom and pop duo already had an artisanal-level recipe and wanted to collaborate with us to create a brand strategy, name, and packaging system to match.

Branding for Public Relations Firm

"Noise 13's ability to completely understand who I am and the message I was looking to convey blew me away."

Dec. 2018 - Jan. 2019

Noise 13 provided branding for a boutique public relations firm. Their team created a new logo, business cards, letterhead, wordmark, and headers for the website.

Melissa Wagner
Founder, WAGNER CREATIVE

The new site stands up and perfectly captures the essence of the company. Noise 13 seamlessly executes with speed and style. Their team is able to successfully convey messages and branding to their target audiences.

I am the Founder of WAGNER CREATIVE, a boutique marketing, communications, and public relations firm specializing in the A/E/C industry, with offices in San Francisco and New York City.

For what projects/services did your company hire Noise 13?

Logo and company branding.

To accurately express my brand for the launch of my new business in a very tight timeline.

I have worked with multiple designers for other clients during my 20 years in the Architecture/Engineering/Construction (A/E/C) industry and have seen consistent results with those that have used Noise 13. Based on my industry and their experience they were an apparent choice. I also enjoyed all the communication and interaction with the team and felt a personal connection with the team.

Logo and branding assets needed to launch my new marketing and PR firm. The deliverables included: logo (b/w and color versions), business cards, letterhead, wordmark and headers/footers that could be used for website.

For this project - I worked with the company founder, Dava Guthmiller one-on-one.

Almost everyone I hand my business card to comments on it, it definitely stands out and is highly unique, but also reflects my personality and brand immediately. The same goes for the graphic that was designed for my website and letterhead.

Dava was easy to get in touch with and the process was efficient as I was in somewhat of a rush to get things up and running. She was very flexible and held meetings in person or via webcon for each revision. The process moved quickly and seamlessly.

Noise 13's ability to completely understand who I am and the message I was looking to convey blew me away. They execute it so seamlessly with minimal revisions.

None that I can think of!

Branding and Design for Hospitality Nonprofit

"Noise 13 is very understanding and works within our constraints."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Noise 13 has designed print and digital banners, posters and brochures, and the UI/UX of a website. They worked successfully within tight budget restraints.

Paso Robles, California
Jennifer Porter
Executive Director, Paso Robles Wine Country

The website has been nominated for a Webby Award, and the events have all attracted large numbers of attendees. Noise 13 adapts their strategy to suit the organization’s needs and budget. Although the team fluctuates more than preferred, each member is talented, communicative, and transparent.

I’m the executive director of the Paso Robles Wine Country Alliance, a nonprofit trade association for the wineries and hospitality businesses in Paso Robles, California.

What challenge were you trying to address with Noise 13?

We let our last agency go without acquiring a new partner and needed to find an agency to help with branding and design.

We originally hired them for the user experience and design of our new website, branding banners, and advertising and print collateral. They produce artwork like posters, rack cards, brochures, and digital banner ads.

We weren’t unhappy with our branding, but they knew we weren’t looking for its polar opposite. We wanted them to tweak what we had to bring it to the next level.

As a nonprofit, we don’t have unlimited resources. None of us are in love with our logo, but it’s everywhere in Paso Wine Country. To completely change it, we would need to replace signage at hundreds of establishments, which is cost prohibitive. Noise 13 is very understanding and works within our constraints.

My main point of contact has changed quite a few times. We deal with three different account executives. Their CCO is always our main contact.

How did you come to work with Noise 13?

They were a recommendation.

We've invested $100,000.

We started working together in August 2016 and the work is ongoing.

Our website was nominated for a Webby Award. Our web traffic is up and our events are selling well.

How did Noise 13 perform from a project management standpoint?

In terms of budget, they’re probably the best agency we’ve worked with. Their billing is really transparent. They estimate based on the number of hours, so it’s clear whether they’re tracking over or under.

As a nonprofit, we’re sensitive to prices. They did creative from scratch for our 2017 events. In 2018, they said they could deliver everything new, but could also just change the photo and the date for a more realistic cost. They’re cool about working with our limited budget.

For communication, if we’re in the middle of a project, we use Mavenlink. Otherwise, we use email. We talk to them at each project kickoff, but don’t speak on the phone often. When we built the website, we talked on the phone quite often so they could present page designs. Now the work is far less complicated.

They’re flexible, which is what someone told me when I called for references. Their billing is straightforward. They’re easy to work with, with no drama and no attitude. It’s pretty pleasant.

We’ve been assigned several account managers per project, which has been fine, just lacking in consistency. That said, it is a small team, so everyone seems to be in the loop on our account.

Be clear about who’s working on your business. If it’s project-based like ours, find out if you’ll have the same person working on everything or if it will depend on who has time. That would have been helpful for me to know going in. It’s worked out fine and hasn’t been a problem because they have a small team, but it would have been nice to know who my go-to people were.

Branding for an Apothecary

“The look and feel of my brand, my logo, and labels all look amazing.”

2013 - 2014

Noise 13 worked on branding for a new apothecary shop, focusing on the logos, graphics, colors, and overall look and feel of the brand.

Sherri Ziesche
Owner, Ziesche Modern Apothecary

The company’s rebrand has been extremely well received, with positive feedback from customers, designers, and other brands. The team is talented, dedicated, and able too clearly understand their client’s requirements.

I’m the founder of Ziesche Modern Apothecary. We sell bath, body, and personal care products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Noise 13?

We needed help with branding and design as well as the overall look and feel of the brand. I had a prior name for the company but it became too popular so we’d had a bit of a rebrand.

They took care of all the logos and labels, graphics, colors, fonts, and the whole look and feel. They helped with all the branding and all the things required for social media, such as badges and widgets.

How did you come to work with Noise 13?

I’d worked with Dava (Chief Creative Officer & Founder, Noise 13) before, so when I was ready to launch this brand I went to her to set up all of our logos and labels.

I invested between $10,000–$50,000.

We worked with them from 2013–2014.

Everyone that sees the look and feel of the brand, loves it. I get nothing but positive feedback from all kinds of people, other brands, designers, or whoever.

How did Noise 13 perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent—there were no problems, and communication was easy. We most often communicated through email, and sometimes phone calls.

They’re really consistent in knowing their clients and what they’re looking for. The team is really good.

No. I would use them again. I would never think of using anyone else. The look and feel of my brand, my logo, and labels all look amazing.

They’ve always been so wonderful to work with. They’re very approachable, informative, and super easy to work with. They’re excellent when it comes to design.

There were never any problems.
    I’m completely satisfied.
    I recommend them all the time.

Logo and Branding for Candy line

"[Noise 13] took our ideas and came up with a high-quality, amazing product."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Noise 13 led a naming and branding project for a candy company. Key features include a logo, color palette, and modular packaging design. They continue to support the rollout of new products.

AJ da Cunha
Founder, Dovana

The sophisticated design has been well-received and attracted new business opportunities. Communicating clearly from the start, Noise 13’s expert team inspired confidence throughout the project. The team’s quality deliverables resulted in the continuation of their role.

I’m the founder of Dovana, a family company that makes cannabis-infused caramels.

What challenge were you trying to address with Noise 13?

I needed to build a brand for this new product. I have a candy business that’s non-cannabis, but wanted to have a completely separate brand to take the cannabis product to market. I didn’t have any experience with branding and marketing so I needed to find an agency to lead the process.

They started with an exercise around naming. Noise 13 led a session with me and my wife to learn about our business and our background. We landed on the word Dovana. Based on the name, they created a logo, brand design, and everything else related to the aesthetic perspective. Instead of just creating packaging for the specific caramel product, they created a system that I can modify or add different product SKUs in the future. They also created a landing page for the caramels’ online presence.

Kate (director of business & innovation, Noise 13) was the lead designer on the project. She led a team of four.

How did you come to work with Noise 13?

I ran into their founder at an event. After talking, we realized we’d worked together in the past but never met in person.

I spent somewhere in the range of $50,000.

We started working together in February 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

I’ve heard from so many people that the caramels have an amazing design perspective. I’m actually getting calls from distributors—including high-end boutique outlets in San Francisco—who want to carry my product. They’ve reached out to me just based on the design.

How did Noise 13 perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve never been on this side of the business, and I really appreciated that the project manager led me through each step of the process. Kate was very clear on the expectations and the outcomes and guided me through the creative process. We used an online project management tool to track everything. We also emailed and had calls at key decision points, such as when we needed to review the color palette.

We came to Noise 13 with a vision for a high-end and artisanal product. I didn’t know what they were going to come up with, but they met or exceeded all of my expectations. They took our ideas and came up with a high-quality, amazing product.

This was my first experience going through a creative project, but I can’t think of anything. The entire experience was great.

Tell them your vision. Let them guide you through the creative process instead of trying to direct the action. Just let them do their thing.

Overall Score I’m extremely impressed with the team, process, and outcome.
    They hit most deadlines. A few slipped around the holidays, but that’s understandable.
    The cost was a bit high, but I can’t put a number on what it’s going to do for my business.
    Everything they delivered was very high-quality.
    I have already recommended them.

Branding for Software Startup

"The visual language they've created has allowed us a platform to create design work."

Jun. 2017 - Ongoing

Noise 13 assisted in the development of a company's brand strategy and system refresh, as well as their messaging, website UX/UI, icon, and illustration systems.

Graphic Designer, Software Startup

Noise 13 helped create a brand for a company that hadn’t given it much thought, resulting in increased views and conversion to the business. Timely project management, budget awareness, and honest communication made for an overall positive engagement.

I'm a graphic designer at a software startup.

What challenges were you trying to address with Noise 13?

We were becoming a multiplatform software company and needed rebranding.

Noise 13 helped us with the marketing strategy. They created a collection of research and devised a strategy document to give our brand future direction. They then implemented the brand strategy, which involved everything from color, font, photography, and completely reworking the website to create a new visual level.

I worked with a creative director and the founder, as well as with designers and project managers.

How did you come to work with Noise 13?

I found them online after doing some searching and looking at a lot of different companies.

We spent between $280,000–$300,000.

The project began in June 2017 and is ongoing.

The visual language they've created has allowed us a platform to create design work. The internal messaging strategy they designed has created new work as well. We've also seen views and conversion rates go up.

How did Noise 13 perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management has gone very well. Everything has been on time and within budget. We communicate via phone, email, and a project management tool, as well as in person.

They have honest communication.

I have no suggestions for improvement.

They're great business partners. Have faith in them because they give professional insight.

Branding & Web Design for Media Brand

"Noise 13 is very intuitive."

Feb. - Apr. 2018

After previously collaborating together, Noise 13 took on brand identity creation, focusing on producing an image that stands out. They also handled logo, newsletter, and web design, among other things.

Marcia Gagliardi
Founder, mymilligram & tablehopper

The project team quickly delivered a brand that’s memorable, well-received by everyone, and fits the initial vision perfectly. Noise 13 has highly creative and skilled people that work fast without sacrificing attention to detail, which makes them a great vendor to work with.

I’m the founder of mymilligram, a media brand and a curated weekly newsletter that features in-depth reviews of the latest low-dose and high-quality cannabis products in California, as well as events, news, and more.

For what projects/services did your company hire Noise 13?

I hired them to assist with creating our brand identity, website, and newsletter.

My main objective was to have a memorable and vibrant brand that stands out.

I had previously worked with Noise 13 on tablehopper, my other website.

Noise 13 conducted a great initial brainstorming session which included a presentation of the possible look and feel of the website. After that, they began the usual design process, whittling options down till finding the favorite one. Their team also designed our logo, business cards, and newsletter.

I worked with their founder, who had three people executing the work.

The swift turnaround was amazing. Noise 13 created a brand that’s very memorable and fits my vision exactly. I love it and other people do as well.

The workflow was marked by Noise 13’s prompt, proactive, detailed, and highly skilled team.

I really appreciate their creativity and quality of work. Noise 13 is very intuitive.

No. Noise 13 is my favorite company to work with.

Noise 13 helped me magically reach my launch deadline.
    Noise 13’s work is worth every penny, especially when they work as effectively as they do.
    It doesn't get better than Noise 13.
    I refer their services all the time.