Amplify Your Brand with SEO & Content Marketing

NextLeft is an SEO and Content Marketing firm that partners with brands and agencies alike to strategize, create and promote helpful, relevant content that increases organic rankings.

We're on a mission to rid the world of digital clutter. Amplify your brand with awesome content and top rankings in the SERPs.

San Diego, CA

• WAVE Home Solutions
  • Fiskars
  • Gilmour.com

SEO Partnership with Marketing Consultancy

"They really try and understand the business goal rather than just doing keyword research mechanically."

2008 - Ongoing

NextLeft provides ongoing SEO consulting and premium link-building services using proprietary software and in-depth digital research techniques for a consumer electronics company.

Portland, Oregon
Owner, Marketing Consultancy

NextLeft has repeatedly demonstrated their impact on page rankings and has quadrupled web traffic in 18 months. They offer rigorous methodology and responsive service that is unrivaled in the industry.

My company is a one-man show. I’m the President and only employee of an SEO and website usability consultancy, but I also do business writing and some general business consulting to do with e-commerce in the consumer electronics field.

What challenge were you trying to address with NextLeft?

I use NextLeft as my primary third-party provider for SEO services and consulting. I typically do the SEO work myself on smaller SEO project, but for very large clients, and particularly for premium link-building, I’m the intermediary. I manage the SEO program for the company and liaise with NextLeft and others if necessary.

We don’t do any SEM; that’s not my area of expertise. I do technical SEO, particularly on-page element optimization and premium link-building programs. I give NextLeft 100% of my premium link-building work. They provide me with a monthly report, and I dumb it down to an executive summary so it makes sense to my clients.

How did you come to work with NextLeft?

I’ve been working with their predecessor company, which went out of business about a year ago. Before the SEO part of the company was purchased by that predecessor, company, it was a startup that I worked with back in 2007 or 2008. I worked with them for SEO work in all their iterations ever since. My connection with them goes way back.

How much have you invested with NextLeft?

My average client would spend about $18,000 per year, and 100% the premium link-building income goes to NextLeft.

I began working with them in 2008 and I have no plans to stop working with them. I was worried about the transition to NextLeft when the predecessor company folded, but they took all their reporting structures and methodologies for premium link-building over to NextLeft with them and it’s been completely seamless.

You can really tell how effective their work is. We’ve had various degrees of success with different projects and different clients, but to give you an example, I invested in a small boutique loudspeaker company that was founded 25 years ago by a close friend of mine. Because of the electronics industry consolidating in big box retail, a lot of the mom and pop electronics stores are drying up and going away. So I recapitalized the company and they asked me to be the CEO. We reinvented the company as a web-only business. We fired all of our distributors, canceled our rep contracts and built an extranet for our dealers to buy at dealer costs directly from the company. And then after about six months, we opened a direct-to-consumer e-commerce site. We didn’t have any money to spend on SEO, so I went to NextLeft and we put together a program. We almost quadrupled our web traffic in an 18-month period with nothing other than SEO and premium link-building.

And that’s not even the most successful program we had. My biggest client right now is a brick-and-mortar retailer that dominates their tiny market of audio, video, and electronics, but they also have a website that’s been around since 2001 or 2002. They have an excellent site. I’ve been working with them on premium link-building for 2.5 years. I basically run their entire SEO program. They’ve increased their page rankings and visibility massively. They’re a tiny company in terms of employees, but they’re ahead of Best Buy in some categories in terms of page rankings on critical electronics keywords. We’ve taken them from nothing, no keyword ranking on the front page, to about 40 keywords on the front page and a couple dozen in the top three rankings. The owner of the company is ecstatic with the results of both my services and NextLeft’s.

How did NextLeft perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve dealt with a number of different companies as a client, and NextLeft is in the 90th percentile in terms of responsiveness. Their monthly reports are very helpful in terms of communicating progress to my clients.

What did you find most impressive about NextLeft?

There are two reasons why we’ve been so successful with them. The first is that they really try and understand the business goal rather than just doing keyword research mechanically. Second, they have really good systems in place. They have very sophisticated software that analyzes hundreds of thousands of sites for Google authority score, and then when they identify them they actually have a team of people that goes in and manually ranks pages for authority, and contacts the webmasters of those sites in person to select the pages and the premium outgoing links from their site. They also work on anchor text and stuff like that, and that level of detail and that hybrid approach with sophisticated proprietary software plus actual human interaction – it’s why they’re so successful.

Are there any areas NextLeft could improve?

This is totally understandable, but they rely a lot on the automated system that they use for reporting. I’m digging deep to find a negative, but if I had to pick something, I would say that more times than I’m happy with, there have been some technical errors in the reports that they missed before they presented them to me. But that’s really nitpicky.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with NextLeft?

I trust the people at NextLeft, so I always recommend that when my clients engage with NextLeft that they be completely open with their data, particularly in the electronics industry. There’s the parochialism that exists where people are very hesitant to share any data. In most industries, everybody’s partnering with everybody else and data is very open, but the electronics industry is very close-mouthed with it comes to sharing data. I’ve encouraged all of my clients that they way to be effective with a company like NextLeft is to give them access to your dashboards and Google Analytics and let them see the good with the bad. They’ll do a better job.

SEO for Transportation Corporation

"NextLeft is a trusted consultant when it comes to planning and making decisions."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

NextLeft provides content creation and keyword optimization work for two brands, and also conducts promotional plans and social influencer outreach to maximize impact.

1001 - 5000 employees

San Diego, California Area
Director of Digital Strategy, Transportation Corporation

NextLeft has presented very impactful research to guide the client's digital marketing strategy in a new, effective direction. They are creative and independent.

We are an umbrella company for a number of worldwide logistics businesses.

I am the SEO [search engine optimization] and content manager of the group. I am also the product owner for all customer-facing web assets, as well as internal customer tools.

What challenge were you trying to address with NextLeft?

We needed help gaining visibility for 2 of our brands.

NextLeft has provided consulting around keyword targeting and content development. They've developed promotional plans and performed research around customer personas and prevailing search trends. NextLeft is also constantly link building for us. Whenever we undergo large content campaigns, NextLeft provides influencer outreach services for us.

How did you come to work with NextLeft?

We had been working with another agency in San Diego. After it went bankrupt, a part of the team we were using went to NextLeft. My primary decision making factor was the level of trust we'd gained in those resources; they knew our account. I also liked the idea of working with a smaller agency, one which would not relegate us to low-level coordinators.

How much have you invested with NextLeft?

The cost of NextLeft's services for 2017 will be between $150,000 and $200,000.

We started working with NextLeft at the beginning of 2016. We have an ongoing contract, which was renewed for all of 2017.

I don't have any specific feedback around our results. There is a level of internal bureaucracy which keeps us from posting big numbers, but NextLeft has done an amazing job with the research presented to us. Our ability to turn that around and shake the earth with it is limited, but since engaging with NextLeft, they've guided us in the right direction in terms of trends. NextLeft is a trusted consultant when it comes to planning and making decisions. They've helped underscore our plans moving forward.

How did NextLeft perform from a project management standpoint?

I've enjoyed working with a small team. We've gotten a lot of value out of the brainstorming with NextLeft because of their small scale.

What did you find most impressive about NextLeft?

My main contact from NextLeft is their VP, who knows SEO as well as her counterparts. Whenever we hop on a call, we can obtain a lot more perspective from NextLeft's team than from other agencies whose principals only act as go-betweens.

Are there any areas NextLeft could improve?

Not that I can tell.

Because of NextLeft's ability, as a small team, to be reactive, creative, and collaborative, potential clients should give them as much autonomy as possible. Giving NextLeft the freedom to create will yield more from the team.

NextLeft manages its resources and timeline very well. They also manage me well.
    NextLeft is entirely reasonable, especially given the location and level of challenge. They've been transparent when it comes to the cost structure.
    I don't know what perfection looks like, but NextLeft's work has held up to our standards. We trust them inherently.