Delivering Success

As an Website and Mobile Apps and eCommerce Development company NextBits was kick started in 2012 by two brilliant minds, having hands on experience in working with Large , Medium and StartUp companies.

North Attleborough, MA
  • Ahmedabad, GJ 320008

Web & Mobile App Development for Food Delivery Service

"NextBits had very specific procedures. Reports were available at any time of day through Jira. I had access to designs, screenshots, updates, comments, and so on. This is what I would expect from my own team."

The client is a food delivery service with an on-demand web and mobile app. Limited technical capabilities and the high cost of local talent convinced the client to find a partner capable of developing their web and mobile prototypes. NextBits was carefully considered and then contracted to supply a dedicated team consisting of a project manager, several developers, UI/UX designer, and QA [quality assurance] specialists.

San Francisco Bay Area
Tapan Patel
Co-Founder at Real Meal Delivery

The client conveyed great satisfaction with the work completed by NextBits. According to the client, NextBits has already outperformed every previously contracted supplier in terms of both the quality of work and project management. It was noted that NextBits has exceptional resource flexibility and a very personable approach to communication. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with NextBits and recommends them highly.

realmealdelivery.com is a food delivery service. Our company prepares food and delivers it to our customers through a full resource stack. We don't partner with any restaurant, instead offering our own menu and a staff which prepares it on a daily basis from scratch.

I am a co-founder and the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with NextBits?

I needed a developer that could build our technology stack. I have an engineering background, so I started building our platform myself, throwing together a very basic app and website that got us rolling, and allowing customers to place orders. Before this, we only offered a phone number. We wanted to grow beyond our current technology, so I looked for a company that I could use for developing the entire stack, from APIs [application program interfaces] to front-end consumer experience elements.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

NextBits developed my platform using primarily PHP frameworks, among which was Magento, an open-source e-commerce software.

There was a need for inventory management functionalities, as well as order taking, route planning, timekeeping, an ability to communicate with the users when their orders had left our premises, and so on. We wanted the whole 9 yards for backend technology as well. Many of these pieces are not very straightforward. For example, we use a 3rd-party vendor for our routing solution. Integrating with them using our custom-built system was a huge pain. NextBits did a great job of managing this complex project.

There were 4 developers and 2 designers assigned to my project by NextBits. One of them was a developer/designer, working on multiple aspects of the project. NextBits offer a project manager on-site. I also worked with their owner in coordinating the work. The experience was a bit different to what I'd done before. We sat together, worked on every use case, and plugged the data into the Jira software. Once expectations for what needed to be built were set, the owner or his project manager determined who would work on each issue and what the status for these would be. If I wanted to get a bird's-eye view, I could go into the system and have an idea of where the project stands. We followed the Agile methodology, so we had a daily standup meeting, as well as weekly reports which gave me a good idea of the progress. During a weekly call, usually on Friday afternoons, NextBits summarized their activity throughout the week. They usually gave me a demo of the functionalities which were completed.

How did you come to work with NextBits?

I happened to get in touch with the owner of NextBits. He went to college with a common friend and came up when I was searching for an agency with which I could work.

I interviewed 4 or 5 other agencies, both in India and the United States. I had worked with another company in Ukraine for two past projects and wasn't very happy with the results. I thought that the idea of outsourcing the work might not be effective and I'd have to give up on it, so I started working on the Magento platform myself, looking for specific extensions. I eventually came across a sister company of NextBits and found that we had a common friend. I asked him for an introduction.

I've spent north of $75,000 in total so far.

The platform is due to go live mid-June, 2016.

We have a staging server within realmealdelivery.com on which all testing is performed. The site offers the ability to sign up, check-in, check-out, look at the menu, and so on. It offers a good idea of the quality of work done by NextBits.

We put together a couple of focus groups during the design process and while features were being developed. We employed a page-by-page approach for this, focusing on a design feedback, rather than an expert view. We have made a few revisions as a result. NextBits was great in implementing changes.

Another important piece of feedback was provided by my co-founder, who also played the role of product owner.

How did NextBits perform from a project management standpoint?

Nine out of ten times, NextBits hit the deadlines. We are both technical parties, so we understood the complexities that led to scope creep. We reset our expectations and I was flexible in this regard. NextBits was upfront about estimating the time it would take to build or change features.

What distinguishes NextBits from other providers?

Magento is implemented by different agencies in Eastern Europe, many of them doing a great job. This was part of my thought process when choosing a company, but the reality proved different. With NextBits, we've followed guidelines on par with Silicon Valley practices in terms of engineering, project management, revisions, issue tracking, communication, contracts, and so on. The process was very familiar and homely to me, given that this is my background. Other offshore companies I evaluated were very makeshift, without a specific format. I think that they would communicate differently with each customer, based on what their demands were. NextBits had very specific procedures. Reports were available at any time of day through Jira. I had access to designs, screenshots, updates, comments, and so on. This is what I would expect from my own team. In the past, I coordinated a team following an Agile methodology. We had 2-week sprints, made releases, made scope analyses and repeated until the project was complete. We maintained flexibility and remained accountable for the work. None of this may sound extraordinary, but compared to other experiences I've had, it is.

Is there anything NextBits could have improved or done differently?

Automation is one place in which NextBits could improve. They don't have a dedicated resource for this. When writing a piece of code that needs to be tested right before it goes into the production server, NextBits relies on manual testing. I inquired about why they didn't engage in this. NextBits' owner told me that few clients expect it, given that a lot of their work comes from people who simply want to build specific tools. I am more technical and like to get my hands dirty. NextBits did a great job of managing manual tests and ensuring that issues were discovered. We have a test repository of 600+ test cases.

I deduct a point due to NextBits' lack of automation.
    I have recommended NextBits, which materialized into at least projects for them.