Full-stack software experts. Fast and Experienced

Netguru is a team of over 190 people including Ruby on Rails & mobile (iOS/Android) developers along with project managers, QA, UX/graphic design talents and support staff. Since our founding in 2008 we've work with a broad range of clients and partners including major corporations and early stage startups from Western Europe, Asia, North America and across the Middle East.

In 2015 we've been ranked number 5 in the prestigious Deloitte Technology Fast 50 Central Europe Awards, that recognizes the 50 most dynamic technology companies in the region.

Netguru is also a certified Spree solution provider. Our experts will help you create a well-devised & customer-friendly online store tailored to your specific needs.

2008
    48.884.382.983
  • Netguru
    One Canada Square, Canary Wharf
    London E14 5AB

Skrill, Transterra Media, PolicyGenius, CitySocializer, RateMyArea, InnStyle, Ledbury, Lemonfrog, Campsited, My Dobot, Chorus, Santander (BZ WBK), Campsited, Inbbbox, Mumslink, Santander (BZ WBK), Suggest It, Property Detective, Benchify, ProFinda, CD Projekt, Booked'em & more

Connexio

Connexio Talk is a product of the US-based team, Connexio Labs. This outbound calling platform easily integrates with existing CRMs and automated marketing tools so your team can do what it does best -sell -by connecting with their most promising opportunities in just one click.

Lemonfrog

Lemonfrog AG has been successfully disrupting the sharing economy since 2007. The company is self-funded grew to a point that needed building up its development team. Netguru team have been working with Lemonfrog since September 2014. During this time Lemonfrog web applications have gone through a major upgrade both on backend and frontend.

Booked'em

A better way to hire crew which saves money, time and energy. Booked’Em lets a producer find a crew quickly, communicate easily and arrange getting them on-site or otherwise involved, hassle-free. The app also allows freelance film workers to keep track of job details when they are on a different gig every day.

Benchify

Benchify launched in July 2013 to give working professionals and business owners feedback and insight into their perceived performance by continuously benchmarking them against their business contacts. With anonymous ratings, private feedback and social features, Benchify is a great platform for finding out which areas you’re doing well in and which you need work on, helping you to improve the performance of yourself, your company and your products.Building the platform from scratch through our agile, quality-driven process, we're responsible for leading the development including front & back-end work, testing and platform maintenance. We've also standing behind integrations with SaaSy & Gmail.

ProFinda

ProFinda is an internal talent and knowledge matching (SaaS) system which digitizes any workforce. By offering unique matching technology, ProFinda makes it far easier to find your best talent and connect them to the right projects, win pitches, help on tasks and support client needs. Netguru work included both ProFinda’s front & back-end development, building new features and testing. We’re also the guys behind platform’s integration with Heroku, Google Analytics, UserVoice, CloudMailin & Engine Yard.

CD Projekt

CD Projekt S.A., one of the biggest polish game developers and retailers decided to introduce a local digital distribution platform. Netguru offered the engeering skills to deliver the project, expertise in planning and project management and know-how about solutions that sped up development. Integrating the store with third-party participants like Microsoft Dynamics AX and developing a custom payment gateway (PayU)

PolicyGenius

PolicyGenius is a Brooklyn-based FinTech startup providing a World Class Development Team Expansion for a FinTech Rising Star.

Campsited

Campsited.com, a Dublin based startup that provides  an easy way for campers and holiday seekers to find and book campsites, touring parks and holiday parks. Netguru team started working on Campsited.com in October 2015. In March 2016 a new redesigned version of the application was released.

Suggest It

What’s going on in my area? Suggest It gives those using the app the best and most up-to-date answers to this question. The app is a digital announcement board for local events: users can add events, browse by place and time and view other users’ agendas to find exciting events. Netguru proposed the most cost-effective solution in the shortest possible timeframe and came up with a 1st-phase roadmap for a minimum viable product (MVP) with fewer features than previously planned.

Mumslink

A Global Community for Mums, Groups & Businesses. Mumslink is a professional and social networking platform which connects women with each other from all types of businesses, organizations, and charities who want to reach out with ideas and opportunities for professional careers.

Transterra

Transterra Media is an on-demand, digital media platform providing high-quality custom videos and photos  to marketers and publishers. Netguru became the Transterra Media’s technical expert along, providing the company with the UX design for two new products: a web portal and an application.

My Dobot

My Dobot is a mobile personal finance advisor. The San Francisco and Denver based startup CTO carefully chose Netguru for  world class Ruby on Rails development  of their data-intensive application. From day one Netguru is involved in every aspect of My Dobot development. Additionally, when necessary, the developers working with My Dotbot team can consult any problem with senior colleagues not necessarily involved in the project.

Inn Style

InnStyle is a blissfully simple online booking system for hotels, bed & breakfasts and self-catering accommodation. This SaaS product is three services in one – a bookings diary for accommodation owners, an online booking interface (that works beautifully on mobile, too) for guests, and a payments system that is built on Stripe Connect. We app is also integrated with Intercom.io and MixPanel analytics.

Ledbury

Ledbury, an innovative retailer specializing in luxury men's shirts and accessories, wanted to merge their online and offline sales processes. Netguru helped Ledbury by adding a unique feature for Ledbury clients and opening new sales channels, increasing the overall revenue and helping Ledbury expand the number of stores, gaining access to a pool of developers for future development.

Skrill

Skrill has been moving money digitally since 2001, offering online payment solutions for businesses and consumers that allow them to pay and get paid globally. Customers can choose from 100 payment options to send and receive money worldwide in 200 countries and 40 currencies, securely and at low cost, without revealing their personal financial details. Whoever you are, however you like to pay or get paid, trust Skrill to make your online payments simpler, faster and safer. Netguru joined forces with Skrill's team based in Berlin & Sofia to create account.skrill.com - an application for online payment account management - an integral part of the new Skrill website. We took care of implementing and presenting the user workflows using the pre-existing API services.

Inbbbox

The App Changing Mobile Dribbble Experience. Netguru's Product Design team engaged in the design community which allowed them to gather constant feedback about the app.

Rate My Area

RateMyArea.com is a unique place to find, review, share and discuss all that’s good (and not so good!) in your area. Additionally, the portal works with a wide range of businesses and sells vouchers offering great discounts on local goods and services. Being a product of Locate Online Ltd., it’s one the largest online platforms of this type in Ireland.

City Socializer

Citysocializer is a subscription-based social discovery network that enables people to meet new groups of friends locally and enjoy their city's social scene. Featured at The Next Web. Netguru supported the re-launch of CitiSocializer. We set up the development processes, including code reviews and continuous integration. The project became a successful social network, providing users with a place to connect with new people through shared interests and events.

Chorus

Academics at The University of California (UCLA) came up with an idea for a universal tool that enables patients, doctors, researchers, and community leaders to create personalized mobile health interventions. Netguru came up with a user-friendly solution for creating a wide range of automated text messaging and interactive voice applications. Our team brought a revolutionary academic idea to life. Doctors can now easily build their own apps, making the treatment much more efficient.

Property Detective

Slowly, but surely, Property Detective is changing the way that people move home. It's the first website in the UK that helps people make more informed, smarter decisions about where they want to live, by giving them the complete picture as to what a property, street or neighbourhood can offer them and their lifestyle, from schools, crime rates, demographics, flightpaths, noise and smell nuisances, retail and leisure opportunities, broadband speeds and much more.

Ruby Development for Mom Networking Platform

"My project manager was absolutely fantastic from day one."

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

Netguru established the client's online presence, from the wireframes and platform of the site to the UI/UX. They continue to provide the maintenance for the site.

Founder, Mumslink

The site has received very good UX feedback, and has attracted partnerships with various businesses and organizations. Netguru conducted thorough testing and implemented the most up-to-date technology and coding.

My organization is a professional and social networking platform called Mumslink.com. We connect women with each other from all types of businesses, organizations, and charities who want to reach out with ideas and opportunities for professional careers.

I am the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with netguru?

I was introduced to netguru through a parent at the school. They filled a gap for me because I am not a programmer. They brought in their technical expertise and handled everything from UI/UX [user interface/user experience] to building the platform.

From the outset, I went to them with my whole business plan. I had done my own framework for the site, regarding how I wanted it to work and how I wanted it to operate. I was a basic startup with an idea on paper. We built wireframes from that and discussed the site mechanism.

We started focusing on the main features that they felt would work well and would be achievable in our timeframe, and they built the site on Ruby on Rails. I was very involved, but they have an awful lot of expertise and guidance, and they know their stuff. It was a great process.

How did you come to work with netguru?

I was introduced to netguru through a parent at the school, who is very techie and very well known in Poland. He recommended netguru to me.

What is the timeline of this engagement?

We began working at the end of March 2015 and soft-launched the site in October [2015]. They still do maintenance for me. It took from March to October to get a site from being on paper to up and running.

Obviously, they built the site, and they're responsible for the fact that it's up and running and working well. netguru just sits quietly there in the background, making sure everything works well. We get very good UX feedback from our users. We're still working with our earlier adopters and site testing and so forth. We've got some great businesses and organizations working through our site, like the U.K. Department for Education and various returner's programs, aimed at female lawyers who took a break and now want to get back to work.

How did netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

As a client, you are appointed a project manager, and my project manager was absolutely fantastic from day one. You also get a quality assurance manager and in my case, she puts the site through its paces during every iteration. She tested the site to death and looked for all the bugs, glitches, and things that could be improved. I can't fault them as an organization. They've been brilliant to work with.

What distinguishes netguru from other providers?

netguru's work ethic and professionalism are the key points. Everything is built in iterations and the process is all about feedback and collaboration. For me, as a nontechnical founder of a startup, they have been a fantastic source of support and information. I feel like they have built the site with the best technology out there, using the best code.

They couldn't have done more than they have already done. The project manager is integral to that. You feel like you're supported throughout the process and that you are part of the team. You're in constant communication with your team. For somebody who came from a legal background, it's been quite an enlightening process.

Is there anything netguru could have improved or done differently?

Any mistakes that were made in the early days really were attributable in part to my naivete. Really, I should have had a UX designer sort out wireframes in addition to the work that I'd done myself. That caused a couple of delays, but I wouldn't attribute that to them.

Overall Score They've been fantastic.
    They're so efficient, it's scary.
    For the maintenance contract, I would say potentially a 3, but the actual development work is a 4.
    They delivered exactly what they'd been asked to deliver, on time, with enthusiasm, and I feel assured in the product that they have delivered for me.
    I have done so.

Rails-developed Platform for Financial Services Startup

"We've really enjoyed being able to take advantage of their different skill sets."

Netguru helped the client with Ruby on Rails development for a variety of projects involving SMS and MMS solutions.

Denver, Colorado
Sr. Vice President of Technology

The client describes their Netguru resource as one of the best developers they’ve ever worked with. While no metrics on solutions are available, the client has benefited from a talented team of developers that consistently delivers ahead of estimates.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

Our company is trying to make financial advising easier for the masses. We are developing an application that makes the process easy for anyone, helping him or her save money and invest it. The goal is to help people at every financial step of their lives. Today, good, solid financial consultation is in the domain of a more privileged class, which is already doing well financially. Our hope is to spread that out. Our company was founded in 2015. I'm the senior vice president of technology in the company. I manage our database and all day-to-day technology use.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Netguru?

I needed expertise in Ruby on Rails development. I have been a career Java developer myself but, when I came to my current company, I found that the things that we wanted to build could best be done in Rails. I put the stakes in the ground for this technology, so I started looking for an outsourced developer.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Netguru's expertise and development resources have been key in building a number of SMS [short message service] and MMS [multimedia messaging service] solutions for us as well as seriously fleshing out the infrastructure of the systems we're building right now. Essentially, Netguru is involved in every aspect of our development.

Our solutions are data-intensive applications. Right now, we're within the proof-of-concept phase, developing our prototype and testing it through beta users. We plan to do a lot of work on scaling the application and better handling potential load increases.

Right now, we have a team of three people from Netguru, including one developer, one quality assurance resource, and one project manager. Netguru has an interesting approach, allowing the client to work with them in any way they like. Netguru would have preferred to have a small team with a project manager, allowing me to interface with that manager. I know that this approach has been successful, but I wanted our development resources to report directly to me, skipping the project manager. I wasn't terribly interested in allowing the quality assurance tester into the codebase, given that we're developing a financial application. Netguru was perfectly happy to accommodate this.

How did you come to work with Netguru?

I had been the vice president of technology at another startup. My predecessor there was a Polish person who ran a small team. I had the task of evaluating everyone in it in order to see how we could work together. I came to find that our Polish team was made up of solid developers who were doing good work, so I increased the size of their involvement. When I moved to my current company, I needed a back-end team, and started looking for another Polish company. I took into consideration both cost mitigation and the overall superior skills of Polish developers, compared to Indian or Chinese ones. I also found it significantly easier to work with Polish developers in terms of accent, which makes a large difference when doing remote work, relying almost exclusively on voice communication.

I found Netguru out of my search. I looked at seven or eight companies in total, which were offering Ruby on Rails consultation work remotely. I interviewed them, spoke with their developers and eventually settled on Netguru.

We began working with Netguru in March 2016.

Any software development work will be subjective, based on the client's opinion. We are working with front-end and mobile developers, but my resource from Netguru is one of the best developers I've ever worked with. I have been a development manager since the early 2000s as well as having been a developer since the 1990s, but Netguru's developer has stood out as exceptional. Netguru has a large group of senior developers to which he can go and consult whenever he runs into a problem. We've enjoyed the benefit of this as well.

How did Netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

Netguru generally delivers work ahead of my estimates. We use Pivotal Tracker, Slack, and GitHub for project tracking.

What distinguishes Netguru from other providers?

Netguru is a full-service shop, delivering a test group for the work as part of the package. We've really enjoyed being able to take advantage of their different skill sets. This is an advantage for any group trying to cut costs, like small startups. Having a test user and project manager has been a nice feature for us.

Is there anything Netguru could have improved or done differently?

I've been thrilled with our developer from Netguru. If I had been working with a larger group, I could perhaps better speak about any improvements.

When I came into the engagement with Netguru, I didn't have my head completely wrapped around how Netguru likes to work with people. They offer a tester and a project manager whose activity is tied with the developer's. If I had better understood this, it would have made things less bumpy in the beginning. After the first week, I came to be completely thrilled with Netguru. My lack of research on this part was to blame.

Rails-developed Human Resources Solution for Startup

“Their code review processes are extremely strong and thorough.”

Nov. 2013 - Ongoing

Netguru provided additional development resources due to limited in-house capabilities. They developed a platform solution using Ruby on Rails and MongoDB.

Founder

Netguru developed the platform within six months, and the client attributes this to their strong code review methodology and processes. Overall, the client is happy with the Netguru development team and their personal and professional work ethic.

I have developed a survey platform aimed at assessing employee engagements, making client surveys, and so on. One innovative feature of the platform is the ability to predict business goals for companies. My company is based in London, United Kingdom.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Netguru?

I needed development resources for my platform because I did not have the skills necessary. I wanted to outsource because of the cost savings.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Netguru has built my solution from scratch using Ruby on Rails and MongoDB. The platform is hosted in Germany. They were responsible for helping me refine my requirements before developing the site. I worked in close collaboration with them.

How did you come to work with Netguru?

I met their principal [CEO Wiktor Schmidt] at a conference in London called ProductTank. I had worked with other offshore companies in Europe and had a preference for Polish developers as we are basically part of the same business culture.

The total cost of the development was around $70,000 [£50,000].

The platform was completed within six months, around two and a half years ago. As it stands, the project is dormant at the moment. Additional work is done as needed. I've used their resources part time in an ad-hoc manner during the course of two years.

There is good positivity and camaraderie between their development team. No one can be completely familiar with a code base, but Netguru employs a good code review methodology that keeps them on track.

How did Netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

A project manager was included a part of the cost, but I've used their resources in an ad-hoc manner and, as a matter of course, I have been very hands-on with the work. I could see the inclusion of a project manager as extra value for someone else using their services. We used Pivotal Tracker for project management at their recommendation. We also used HipChat in the beginning and moved to Slack later on.

What distinguishes Netguru from other providers?

Their code review processes are extremely strong and thorough. I don't embrace old-fashioned approaches to software development, and I expect partners to have the same mindset. They offer code review services, back-end support, and a project manager to clients as part of their standard package.

Is there anything Netguru could have improved or done differently?

I give full credit to Netguru for being understanding with me in terms of cash flow. In general, they work through a point system, which is managed using Pivotal Tracker. There is a minimum budget that is needed for a client to contract their services, and I think they should be more flexible in this regard.

Resourcing Engagement for Financial Services Firm

“...for a company, such as ours, which requires dependability in delivering the product, there is no one else better.”

2014 - Ongoing

Netguru assisted Premla Capital with Ruby on Rails-based development projects due to limited in-house capabilities.

Tom Brammar
Managing Partner, Premia Capital

Premla Capital has been consistently impressed with Netguru’s performance. Netguru was able to quickly provide additional resources when projects that ramped up and managed resources well. The client also praises them for their flexibility, ability to stay on schedule and within budget, and consistent reliability.

We are an investment company and venture capital business. We develop ideas and solutions for the financial services industry and invest in early-stage businesses.

I am a managing partner in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with netguru?

Some of our business ventures require technical execution, which is the reason we've partnered with netguru. Since only a fraction of our own engagements necessitate technical expertise, it made more sense for us to leverage an external partner rather than develop the capabilities internally.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We use netguru as an external development resource. Many of our projects are confidential due to the fact that we work with large financial institutions. We often spin up business ideas, which remain in the research and development phase.

The first project we worked on with them was a consumer finance product targeted at the European market. We worked with one of the senior developers at netguru and assigned some development resources on our side, too. The person assigned by netguru was very impressive in terms of the code produced. Working with external talent can come with some uncertainty in terms of what their contribution will be – beyond extra manpower. The senior person had a good, in-depth understanding of the programming language. He was able to take our existing code and ideas and interpret them into very high-quality results. He unbundled and rewired some of the underlying classes in order to make things work properly.

We worked on a subsequent project that revolved around a more agile media space. They performed very on that project, too.

We work together on an engine, rather than simply doing web development. There are many algorithmic processes involved in this.

We've employed three developers from netguru at peak capacity. We're a technologically adept company so, even though there were project managers assigned for both of our projects, I preferred to work directly with the development team and the senior person, especially. It was easier to use a more technical language in this way. We may be an atypical customer in this regard.

How did you come to work with netguru?

We looked at a number of Ruby on Rails development companies in Europe, considering both United Kingdom-based companies, which can be extremely expensive, and ones in Eastern Europe. We narrowed our search down to Poland due to their proximity to Berlin, where we had an office. We considered three companies in total. netguru won the first impression. They proved to have a very reasonable, systematic way of producing quality code and seemed to be more switched on than the other companies.

We've been working with them since 2014.

There aren't any figures that I can share with you, but we have been impressed by their performance. They are very reliable and have almost always been able to deliver assigned work on time and within budget. They're also very flexible with their resources. If things ramp up quickly, we can always count on being able to increase our resources to compensate. That isn't always the case during resource engagements like these.

How did netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Slack for communication, but we tend to rely on the project management tools suggested by netguru. They currently use JIRA, which has worked well so far. We do weekly sprints and have a call every Tuesday in order to make sure that everything is going as planned.

What distinguishes netguru from other providers?

They are very reliable. Having worked with other developers, we've noticed that a lot of younger firms tend to overpromise on what they can deliver. This has never happened with netguru. They've always been clear in what they are and aren't capable of doing. They've always given us an idea of how things would be expected to progress. They're not the cheapest firm possible, and they could deliver the work faster if they actually killed themselves over it but, for a company, such as ours, which requires dependability in delivering the product, there is no one else better.

They deliver when promised.
    They're not the cheapest solution.

Web Development for Carnival E-Commerce Platform

"Netguru impressed me with the speed with which they were able to pick up existing code and expand it."

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

Netguru improved and upgraded the client's existing platform and database quickly and without disrupting user accessibility.

Trinidad & Tobago
Angel Stewart
CEO/Founder, Carnival E-Commerce Platform

Netguru streamlined the existing code and created new features designed to benefit the customer base. They provided comprehensive project management support, extensive project review, and excellent customer service.

We are an e-commerce company which has created a digital platform allowing users to access information about products for the niche Carnival market in the Caribbean. Customers can easily order costumes for sale on our platform and use our comprehensive backend content management system for managing orders. We also provide other e-commerce services related to the Carnival industry, such as fashion, make-up, bookings, and so on. We are a one-stop-shop for this business.

I am the chief executive officer and founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Netguru?

We had difficulty in finding qualified developers with the necessary experience and available time for developing our platform.

This was a challenging project to take up because it was already in progress. The site had been launched, and it had an existing user base. Since there is a management component to the platform, our clients viewed the site as a mission-critical component to their organizations. We couldn't afford to take our time on individual features or take down the site for maintenance. Netguru had to read the existing code, understand it, and add to it quickly. It would have been challenging for any development shop. Netguru impressed me with the speed with which they were able to pick up existing code and expand it.

How did you come to work with Netguru?

We considered a couple of other developers, eventually settling on Netguru. We needed someone who would be capable, fast, and who had good quality control over their development methodologies. We gave test work to different companies. The results were everywhere from OK to poor. I did a search across Europe. I knew of another startup company who was building its systems on Ruby on Rails. Netguru was the developer for that company, so based on that information, I opened discussions with them. They described their process for managing a project, which made me think they'd be a good fit for us.

The total cost of the development has been around $50,000.

We started the project with Netguru in September of 2015. The work is ongoing.

Netguru helped streamline the existing application code and developed some of the key features needed to improve value for our customer base. They worked very quickly throughout.

How did Netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management has been good. Our team was issued one project manager as well as several developers and quality assurance people. We use an Agile methodology by creating stories for each feature. Quality assurance members make sure that all the pieces of the work are present before we see it. Netguru is different from other organizations we've worked with. Usually, we would work directly with a developer and the inclusion of a project manager would entail additional costs. Quality assurance was a completely different cost structure as well. The package we received from them included the entire project management lifecycle, which was extremely beneficial from our standpoint, as a fast-moving startup. As a founder, I don't have the necessary time to double-check user stories.

What distinguishes Netguru from other providers?

Their project cycle includes different specializations, including project management and quality assurance. Netguru also provides us with more senior specialists who review code in order to make sure that everything is done as efficiently as possible. Their entire team takes the time to review the work from the standpoint of the end-user. This wasn't an option with the other companies I spoke to. Their customer care aspects are also good. The team is very friendly, and the English communication was excellent.

Is there anything Netguru could have improved or done differently?

The project management could have been better in other respects, like reporting the time and cost spent working on certain cases.

Redeveloped Rails Platform for Online Booking Service

"The quality of the product is very good … We've received a stable and scalable solution."

netguru joined a development team to implement a new design during a transition away from another development partner. Using Ruby on Rails, they provided backend and front end work, plus quality assurance.

Ireland
Founder & CEO, Online Booking Service

netguru’s website has received positive feedback from end users. Key strengths of their team were transparency, accountability, and accuracy. When the project increased unexpectedly, netguru stepped up and delivered. Their work was high quality, stable, and scalable.

We're a campsite aggregator and booking engine.

What business challenge were you trying to address with netguru?

I needed to scale the development side of the business, and I needed to do it quickly. Hiring full-time resources was out of the question due to timing and cost. This meant that I had to find an outsourced partner to supply the technical talent I needed.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Our platform was already built. I approached netguru to have them implement a new design, transitioning away from my development partner at the time.

The team assigned to us consisted of two back-end and three front-end developers. We interact with them through a project manager, but we also interact with the team directly, as needed. There's also a quality assurance tester involved in the process.

How did you come to work with netguru?

I did a general search for Ruby on Rails development companies. I looked at a couple of other companies besides netguru, speaking with past clients in order to understand their previously completed work. I was determined to work with an outsourced company due to cost issues. Working with a local company would have been prohibitively expensive.

The total cost is expected to be $170,000.

We started the work in December 2015 but the project is still ongoing. The biggest phase of the implementation is expected to finish within the next two weeks [May 2015].

The first phase of the project, directed at campsite owners, has gone live. The quality of the product is very good. Stability and performance were big factors for us. We've received a stable and scalable solution.

How did netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

We didn't know what the full extent of the work would be in the beginning. It turned out to be more extensive than expected, but netguru has done a very good job in getting to where we needed to get.

What distinguishes netguru from other providers?

They're very transparent in everything that they do. This isn't something that I've encountered with previous providers. It's been great to see and has helped build confidence. I've been working within the development world for long enough to know what an accurate estimate is. I believe netguru in their estimations.

Is there anything netguru could have improved or done differently?

Planning, within the context of where we need to get to and evaluating our milestones, could be improved. This could just as well be an area of improvement for myself.

Any limitations on the client's end will result in a limitation of the project itself. netguru has told us that many people came to them with sketchy requirements, whereas our company drafted complete wireframes and visual designs. This made our lives much easier in terms of implementation. If we didn't have that material, their team would have been happy to work with whatever we had anyway, but my advice is for clients to go to them as prepared as possible.

Platform Development for Online Book Dealer

"Everything is transparent and we know what their progress is at any point in time."

Netguru works on Ruby on Rails and database development projects for the client.

Co-Founder

The client is very happy with Netguru’s consistent good performance, particularly when it comes to their methodology. High quality output is due to the iterative process Netguru has implemented throughout their organization. Other core strengths include transparency and reliability.

We are an online book dealer combining traditional knowledge of the market with technology systems which identify discrepancies and availability of our inventory across international locations. We know where certain titles are available and source books to different locations accordingly.

I am one of three partners in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with netguru?

We ran a few projects a few years ago which were not critical to the company. My business partner used to serve as the lead in-house developer, but eventually, we decided it would be best to contact an external company for our work. We started on small projects with netguru and they eventually ended up taking over our entire development.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Netguru has a very good talent pool of stack developers which they offer to us. We specifically needed experience with Ruby on Rails and database development.

They assign us a senior developer as well as other programmers, depending on our project. We've worked with up to three people at the same time. We work with a project manager from netguru's side and also have our own.

How did you come to work with netguru?

We're based in London. Local talent can be very expensive, so we started looking for external companies. I read about Eastern European developers on Ruby on Rails forums. They were seen as being both professional and affordable. We found this combination in netguru. They were better than any company we could have hired locally. In total, we looked at four or five companies before hiring them.

Pricing ranges by developer, depending on their seniority. Our monthly cost is between $5,000-10,000.

We have an ongoing relationship.

We don't keep track of metrics as such, but I can say that netguru has a very good methodology in terms of clean development. The code they produce rarely has to be refactored later on. They have an iterative process implemented throughout their organization which leads to high quality output. We've always tried to provide as much information as possible to them as well, in order to make their lives easier.

How did netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

We keep in touch using Slack, on which they're always available. There is a lot of interaction between our teams and we're experienced in working with remote companies, so we're comfortable with the process.

What distinguishes netguru from other providers?

From my experience with other development companies, I've found netguru to be very systematic in their approach. Everything is transparent and we know what their progress is at any point in time. This extends to all their processes, including billing.

Could you share any tips with future clients?

The experience of working with a remote company as opposed to an in-house team relies on how comfortable the client is with remote communication. The fact that the developer is not in the same town as the client means that they have to rely on collaboration tools for any kind of interaction. Tools are readily available, but it's really a matter of the cultural adaptation of the company requesting services.

Overall Score It's been a very positive experience.
    I have already recommended them.

Rails-developed MVP for IT Startup

"They have great resource availability, which is important for more complex projects or ones that have a shorter timeline."

Netguru used Ruby on Rails to quickly develop a minimum viable product.

Berlin Area, Germany
Founder & CEO, Startup

Based on internal user testing, front-end designs had little to no bugs, worked smoothly, and received good user feedback. Work is consistently delivered on time and within budget, and project management and communication were Netguru’s core strengths.

We are a marketplace startup from Berlin.

I am the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with netguru?

We wanted to kick off a minimum viable product for our company quickly.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

netguru has developed our product using Ruby on Rails in the back-end and Ember.js in the front end. We'd worked with Ruby on Rails before, but Ember.js was recommended strongly by one of their developers. Their team consisted of three developers and a project manager. They've also provided quality assurance resources.

How did you come to work with netguru?

I had a connection with netguru since I had worked with them in the past. We screened five or six offshore agencies besides netguru, and settled on them based on our communication, general fit, and their client feedback.

Our solution has been live for six months. The project is ongoing, but it's running on a lower level. We've scaled our operations down to one developer. We'll continue to work with netguru for the foreseeable short-term future. Our goal was to build a solution fast, and we've since built our own in-house team. Time to market was the main factor in working with them.

We engage in frequent user testing. The front-end parts and their designs have worked smoothly and have received good feedback from users. There were a few bugs within the platform, but we never discovered any big defects.

How did netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

They've delivered their work within budget and on time. Their overall communication has been very good. Project management and quality assurance are provided by netguru as part of standard development without additional costs.

We use Pivotal Tracker for project management. Both our companies were familiar with the tool. Our communication was done through Slack, which I think is also standard for netguru.

Is there anything that distinguishes netguru from others?

I think they have great resource availability, which is important for more complex projects or ones that have a shorter timeline.

Is there anything netguru could have improved or done differently?

Anyone can improve. netguru could have had better communication at times but, overall, I'm very happy with them.

iOS Development for Consumer Products Startup

“They've always delivered their work on time and within the specified budget, with exceptional communication.”

Due to limited in-house resources, Netguru supplied a front-end development team to create the client’s iOS app.

Salt Lake City Metro Area
Founder & CEO

Netguru developed a stable application that was well-received in its market. And while the client is still in its early stages of the process, they’ve been happy with Netguru’s work and continue to maintain the partnership. Netguru’s noteworthy attributes are their project management and stack processes.

Suggestit is a startup social network that allows people in local communities to see everything happening in their areas, basically local suggestions for what's happening.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Netguru?

We were in need of a front-end development team because we didn't have access to those skills.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Netguru provided the functional development for our iOS app. Our team consists of one or two developers, along with a project manager and a quality assurance person.

We've been in charge of creating the platform's design and user experience internally. Their tasks have always been the technical development and implementation.

How did you come to work with Netguru?

They approached us and made a compelling case, offering the resources and skillsets that we needed, along with all the organizational processes required. We used their company on a trial basis in order to see if they would be the right team to complete our work. Netguru achieved everything that they set out to and we've continued to work with them since.

We interviewed several organizations prior to hiring them. What drew Netguru to our attention was their overall organization, effective communication and stack processes.

Our relationship is ongoing.

We're still in the early stages of our process, so I don't have any quantitative data for our success. Netguru has produced a very stable application with very few bugs, which has been well-received within its market.

How did Netguru perform from a project management standpoint?

They've always delivered their work on time and within the specified budget, with exceptional communication. We use Google Docs, Slack and Jira for project communication. Netguru's strong suit is that they have a very sound process and use the best-of-breed communication stacks.

Is there anything Netguru could have improved or done differently?

There isn't any improvement which I could recommend to them that Netguru wouldn't be already aware of.

Platform Implementation and Customization Web Hosting Firm

“I would say they do a pretty good job. I feel very confident in their level of work.”

May 2014 - Ongoing

Netguru developed a platform to help customers who sell DVDs easily convert them into a streaming format.

Washington DC Metro Area
President

The client was happy with Netguru’s work, and praises their communication and documentation. Work is ongoing, but they feel confident in Netguru’s ability to continue to produce quality code and manage projects.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

I work for a Web hosting company. We host about 4,000 sites globally. We offer various managed hosting services and online marketing for our customers.

I’m the president.

Could you describe the business challenges that you were attempting to address when you first approached netguru?

We came to netguru about six months ago. They were brought on a project that we had already started, a new service. It’s a simple video distribution platform for companies that still sell DVDs. We help them convert those into a streaming format for their customers easily. We have internal staff who works on development, but we needed additional support to compensate for an a few large, complex projects. We needed to find some developer that were qualified and could work well with our internal team.

Could you describe the level of their involvement in greater detail, the scope of their responsibility?

It was primarily Ruby on Rails development and testing. We had an off-site tester that would review code, too. It was all functional development, and no design. We had two full-time developers sourced with netguru. We mainly worked with junior developers, and we had one senior. They worked right alongside our internal developers.

How did you select netguru as your development partner?

It was through general Web research, I spoke to a good amount of firms and got a feel for how they communicated, how big their team was and their rates. That’s where I made my decision. Obviously, their past projects, and how comfortable they were with the technology. I assessed how the initial conversation went, what their pricing was, how they did development. I was pretty set on an offshore provider, and they seemed very capable to me.

Does this project remain ongoing?

Yes. Currently, they do development for us. We’re planning on working with them throughout 2015.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

They did a good job. They’re very responsive. Their project managers are decent. They stay on top of stuff, and their communication is not bad. There is always good documentation. As far as overall performance, they do a good job. When you’re outsourcing, there’s a certain level of acceptance of not being able to manage someone, but working with the developers was not difficult. Overall, it was pretty good, and continues to be. We didn’t have any issues with budget or deadlines, and the communication was clear.

When working with netguru, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

No. I would say they’re comparable. I think they do good code review for their clients. That’s one thing that sets them apart, so that helps.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think netguru could improve as a service provider?

No. Honestly, I would say they do a pretty good job. I feel very confident in their level of work.