Brand Naming Partner to Fortune 100 & 500 co's

As one of the world’s top global naming agencies, The Naming Group partners has partnered as naming agency of record with leading Fortune 500 companies including Capital One, General Motors, Reebok and Kohler to create memorable names such as the Venture Card and the Chevrolet Sonic among hundreds of others.

The Naming Group works across virtually all sectors including but not limited to:

• Financial (Capital One, The Wall Street Journal, Experian)
  • Automotive (GM, Mercedes Benz, First Element Fuel)
  • Tech (Sony, Epson, Greenhouse, InMoment)
  • Apparel and home (Gap, Kohler, Reebok, Puma, Christmas Tree Shops)
  • Food and beverage (Nestle, New Belgium, Pipcorn).

We are the founders of The Namescape School of Thought - the belief that every brand has a collection of named offerings that must work together to communicate overall brand meaning. Our unique focus on the namescape ensures that every name we develop works with the names around it to tell a cohesive story, strategically advancing our clients’ brands.

From naming strategy through creative development, preliminary trademark screening and global linguistic analysis, we have honed an airtight process to create brand-empowering names and architectures – and provide the guidance needed to make informed naming decisions within the complex corporate decision-making environment.

Los Angeles, CA
  • 3516 Annette St
    Los Angeles, CA 90065

Capital One, General Motors, Reebok, Kohler, The Wall Street Journal, Experian, Mercedes Benz, Sony, Epson, Gap, Puma, Nestle, New Belgium

Brand Naming and Strategy for Food Tech Startup

"They completely set us up for success."

Nov. - Dec. 2019

The Naming Group provided naming services for a startup. Their team provided research and information gathering before embarking on a full naming process. The team worked directly with the client.

Andrew Sloan
Creative Director & Founder, Cosma Schema

The Naming Group supplied an excellent name that set the client up for success. their team worked patiently and constructively. The project management was simple and fully integrated into the process. They made everyone's lives much easier.

I am the founder and creative director of Cosma Schema, a global brand strategy, design and experience agency. We focus mostly on the new space economy, however from time to time take on truly innovative projects in other industries. Clients hire us for design and brand strategy work and we’ve engaged The Naming Group multiple times for foundational brand strategy and naming work across all different clients and industries.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

As mentioned above, The Naming Group is our go-to naming and brand positioning firm. Whenever we have a client in need of brand clarity and naming work, we bring them on to lead the process directly with our clients. For this project in particular, one of our long-term clients in the space sector was creating a new side business in the food tech industry in the Bay Area. We needed a partner who was not going to merely come up with creative ideas. The Naming Group consistently goes above and beyond merely creative naming in that they consider all related language and terminology in a clients’ industry, taking into account the larger communication landscape in which a name will ultimately live.

Our client needed clarity on how to position and name their company in an extremely crowded, competitive landscape. Their need was also slightly more complex than the average client in that they needed a brand strategy and name that worked well across a very broad market - in major US cities and beyond, reaching into suburban areas, too. The name also had to work within very specific constraints as it would show up on existing software platforms and applications. This meant that the name had to be short and also powerful because it will ultimately be paired alongside other brand names on said platforms. Our client wanted a name that would signify a completely new way of approaching food in everyday life, so, in short, this name had to really nail it.

The Naming Group is our preferred partner because their process is the most thorough and has had the most success with our clients. When they are available to work with us, we choose them because their work goes beyond throwing out creative ideas (where other naming consultants and agencies often stop) and instead creates naming criteria that our clients can use to judge the success of the names they are presented with.

The Naming Group also conducts preliminary trademark and URL screening which is valuable to our clients and saves us from having to coordinate those screens with other vendors. I am the primary decision-maker on which partners and vendors we use.

There are four main phases that The Naming Group took us through. The first phase was all about gather information, both from the client and many hours of research into their industry, tracking trends in the food tech startup space and examining how consumers use language in this realm. After that, they presented research in a comprehensive brand positioning deck that gave our client language for how to speak about their audience and how to address industry-wide challenges. The Naming Group also delivered their signature “Naming Criteria” - the 4 things we’d use to judge the success of the names they’d present, based on the research and brand strategy. They proceeded to develop two rounds of names along with preliminary trademark screening, mockups to show what the name would look like in context and showed available URLs for each name.

They then helped our client narrow down names and navigate an extremely crowded trademark landscape with the help of a trademark attorney they referred to our client. We could not have been nearly as helpful to our client without The Naming Group interfacing directly with them and with legal counsel. My role in the project was Creative Director. I worked with my team to manage the client and worked with The Naming Group to give feedback on their work throughout the process. That said, there was very little feedback needed - they are pretty plug n’ play!

We interfaced with a core team of three people across the project. I like working with The Naming Group because it’s easy to access leadership and they work nimbly and responsively.

After The Naming Group helped our client land on a name, my team and I took over to do the visual design work of creating a logo and visual brand design guidelines. The positioning work that The Naming Group put into the project was absolutely invaluable to my team of designers in the work they did. We referred back to it constantly with the client when presenting our design work. They completely set us up for success. I think a true test of The Naming Group’s skill is their ability to handle difficult decision-makers and stakeholders. On this project, we had an important stakeholder come quite late to the game who was fairly critical of the process and name, despite the rest of the leadership team being on board.

The Naming Group constructively, patiently worked with this team member to help catch them up to speed and feel more comfortable and confident in the name and brand strategy overall. They helped us dodge a serious bullet in this way.

Totally a breeze. They had no qualms about integrating into our vendor portal and communicating with my team on Slack. Not every vendor we work with is willing to integrate in this way so we’re grateful for The Naming Group’s ability to roll up their sleeves and jump right into our systems and processes. Makes our lives so much easier. They also availed themselves to help us design the scope and proposal for our client which we really appreciate. They give us as much valuable feedback as I hope we give them when working together!

As usual, The Naming Group far exceeded our and our client’s expectations. The entire client team is on board with the way that The Naming Group helped clarify their positioning and love the name.

They’re excited to launch later this year. It’s worth noting that something this agency consistently does is helps clarify the business strategy of our clients - whether its part of the scope of work or not. They ask critical questions that generally push beyond brand and into company vision and operations. I think the true test of a good partner is one that already feels like a part of your team and at Cosma Schema we certainly feel that way about The Naming Group.

Nope. We are always stoked.

Branding Services for Food-Tech Company

"This ended up being one of the best decisions we've made."

June 2018

Just before product launch, The Naming Group was hired to come up with a name for a sugar substitute. They considered brand strategy and trademark screening before undergoing a systematic naming process.

Israel
Liat Cinamon
VP Business Development, DouxMatok

The Naming Group delivered a great name that paves the way for all of the client's future business decisions. What's more, the name has gotten great feedback from consumers and potential partners. The team was organized in their project management, and their approach was extremely methodological.

I am the VP of Business Development at DouxMatok, a food-tech company based in Israel. We developed a sugar based sugar reduction solution based on real cane sugar, that allows for up to 50% sugar reduction in various food products while maintaining the same sweet taste.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

As we were preparing to launch our sugar reduction solution in Europe and U.S., we have decided to brand our sugar (not straight forward for B2B food ingredients), and the first step was to find a name that will resonate with consumers, who are looking for foods with overall better nutrition without the taste compromise.

Our goal was to develop a distinct brand-name for our proprietary product, that will appeal to both the end consumer and to DouxMatok’s direct customers – food companies. We are building our ingredient to be the 'new sugar of choice’ for consumers.

We collected recommendations from marketing people in our network, interviewed 5 of them, and it was clear to us that Nina and the Naming Group's approach and vibe were a perfect fit. This ended up being one of the best decisions we've made in the process!

The naming work started with defining naming criteria that underlie our brand strategy, and building clear and agreed filters to screen in and out names. The process was well funneled - from a list of number of recommended name candidates that went through a trademark screening, we ended up with 3 final ones to select from.

We worked directly with the founder and president, Nina Becjhart, and her partner, Jana Zednickova.

The name we picked is Incredo. It was the first step in bringing our brand to life, and that choice paved to way for all other brand decisions. We get great feedback on the name from customers, consumers and other marketing vendors that worked with us since then.

Very effective and clear from the begining.

Nina and the Naming Group team were super professional - not only we were very happy with the result, but the process was very well managed - from setting expectations, managing the process' methodology , addressing psychological and emotions of all stakeholders in the process, being open to feedback and flexible enough to use it to optimize the outcome.

A year and a half later, we are still in touch and consult on brand dilemmas with Nina!

NA

Psychotherapy Practice Name Development

"I found the workflow between my company and theirs to be both thorough, thoughtful and efficient."

June - Sept. 2018

The Naming Group provided branding and naming services for a psychotherapy practice. The owner of the practice was searching for a new name to adequately express the vision of the company.

Burbank, California
Jennifer Flores, LMFT
Founder, Interior Design Firm: A Psychotherapy Practice

The Naming Group created a name that fully sets the practice apart from others. They fully clarified the vision, breadth, and scope of the brand. Their work was allowed the client to reach the client demographic. They were professional and the workflow was extremely effective.

I am the founder of Interior Design Firm, a psychotherapy practice for adults, teens, couples and families based in Los Angeles, CA. I work with all kinds of people who struggle with all kinds of problems: individual adults, teens (mature-ish ones), and couples. I specialize and have advanced training in the treatment of trauma and all of its residual symptoms (EMDR), as well as in couples therapy (PACT and The Developmental Model).

I hold a bachelor’s in English and a master’s degree in education from UCLA. I also hold a master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Fuller Seminary’s Graduate School of Psychology. I am currently a Clinical Associate in psychoanalytic training at the New Center for Psychoanalysis and a member of the American Psychoanalytic Association.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

Back in 2018, I was operating as a sole proprietorship but decided to expand my work into a group practice, a place for me to supervise & train new therapist interns, a space for other independent therapists to facilitate group therapy, or possibly just a larger office space where therapists sublease space from me.

I needed a name that was going to serve my vision and honor my style while also creating a welcoming brand to collaborate with others, too. More specifically, I needed a name that would show that I am “irreverently helpful.” I’m comfortable with complicated and not afraid of the messiness that comes with being human.

Practical yet sensitive. I can move pretty comfortably between “dark night of the soul” matters and Arrested Development references in any given session. I believe we can do deep, meaningful, challenging work while also sharing some laughs. Any life worth living includes a certain amount of play. I think my clients and colleagues would say we spend time honoring the sacred as well as the absurd.

The Naming Group was referred to me by my attorney who I worked with to set up my business.

The Naming Group asked me to complete a full project questionnaire first. It asked me questions about myself and my brand vision and goals for my business. From there they conducted their own strategy research and creative development.

They presented naming criteria (the things the name should accomplish) and a number of different conceptual areas of exploration along with a large number of different names with strategic rationale for each.

I worked closely with Nina (Founder, The Naming Group) throughout the process.

My business name sets us apart from other group therapy practices in an extremely good way! It catches people’s attention, captures the essence of our brand, and it is always a conversation-starter, which is invaluable. Working with Nina throughout the development process, I was challenged to clarify the vision for my brand and articulate some of the business's core values I knew on an unconscious level but had not fully brought to awareness.

This clarified awareness has allowed me to hire the right therapists who share these values and believe in the brand. My whole group has said that working under the name “Interior Design Firm” has helped attract the client demographic we were aiming to reach: professionals, creatives, who can be both intentional and playful about doing their emotional & psychological "inner/interior” work.

My experience with The Naming Group allowed me to consolidate my company's vision in a way I would have never been able to do on my own and attract the right staff and clients. We truly enjoy our group practice's name.

Extremely effective. Nina, the company founder, was clear about the process, expectations, and deliverables. She was professional and delightful to work with. I felt completely comfortable sharing my thoughts and feelings throughout the project discovery/questionnaire process, as well as about the ultimate name recommendations she provided.

When I was anxious and requested additional feedback, she was both supportive and challenging. At many points, I considered going with one of the “safer” directions, and while being supportive, she would remind me of earlier discussions in which I had committed to being bold. I found the workflow between my company and theirs to be both thorough, thoughtful and efficient.

I found that The Naming Group truly listened to, helped me clarify, and understood my goals and company ethos. They were able to capture the essence of what I was going for in naming our group and produced a name that fits who we are.

Also, Nina is a word wizard, and it was truly a fun experience to collaborate with her to locate in language the exact feel I was going for. She is professional, creative, and has developed a collaborative process that works.

None.

Overall Score An excellent experience. I'm so glad I invested in the process and did not go with one of the safe names I was going to settle on before!
    A non-issue. Communication around scheduling was clear and met our project schedule.
    Appropriate and I got more from the process than I was expecting!
    The first questionnaire and name development discussions were thought-provoking and insightful. Then the final list of names surpassed expectations.
    I will recommend them any opportunity I get.

Product Naming for Biotechnology Firm

"They came up with valuable insights into our industry that other companies lacked."

Mar. - Apr. 2019

After gathering information from the client and conducting preliminary research, The Naming Group delivered strategic insights and a list of potential names for an incubator.

Cornelius, Oregon
Katrina Thorsen
Marketing Coordinator, Sheldon Manufacturing

Internal stakeholders are eager to see the impact of the new name. Proactive and methodical, The Naming Group provided detailed schedules and responded quickly to questions. Their flexibility, passion, and creativity set them apart from other providers.

I am the Marketing Coordinator of Sheldon Manufacturing, Inc. an ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturer of high quality and innovative constant temperature equipment to the global market. Major product lines include incubators, humidity test chambers, ovens, water and bead baths, and anaerobic chambers for the life science, pharmaceutical, biomedical, environmental and industrial markets.

My role there includes implementing marketing strategies, analytics, etc. in order to help Sheldon grow, along with assisting and coordinating exhibitions and shows, updating the website with current information, creating marketing materials using Adobe Creative Suite, brand building/awareness.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We needed to develop a name for an exciting new line of features-heavy incubators that will have a base model and upgrades that consolidates several functions that were previously found only specialized incubators.

In short, we’re hoping to offer an incubator that is similar to buying a car – one model with several possible options when ordering from the factory. There are 8 different configurations of this unit that will be available.

Usually, our name scheme is an acronym of the product, for example: “SMO” is a “Sheldon Mechanical Oven”. Since this product is different than our others, we would like to have a unique name as well.

A named product with aesthetic design elements (polished graphical user interface, curved door with graphics panel) may not be seen as “serious” in the market and introducing a line of brand-new modern incubators will be met with some doubt, so we needed a particularly strong name that instills confidence in users.

I searched through branding and specifically naming agencies through Google. I reached out to 5 separate companies for quotes.

I ultimately chose the Naming Group after talking with their team, I was impressed with their case studies and especially with all the white papers on their site detailing the specific considerations of brand name choice.

The Naming Group asked us to complete a comprehensive project overview and brand questionnaire before they embarked on conducting their own internal research.

They presented a number of strategic insights including contextual support, name type recommendations, a competitive snapshot and opportunities, name tone and unique selling proposition definition along with a number of name candidates across different naming territories.

Names were also presented with visual contextualizers to show how they would appear in real-life usage.

Nina, Founder/President was our main point of contact. Naming consultants worked on the creative portion of the project.

Our product is still in the“pre-launch” stage, but the reviews of our new name have been extremely well received internally. We haven’t done something like this for this brand of products, so we are very excited to release it to a wider market.

We received a schedule with project milestones and when deliverables would be expected from our team. Nina was always very prompt in getting back with questions.

I appreciated their passion for what they do. Most people can’t really get excited to work on a project focusing on incubators, but they were eager to step into an industry they hadn’t worked with before. They came up with valuable insights into our industry that other companies lacked.

Some of the people in our company were a little confused by some of the questions they asked but was a non-issue once they were clarified. We are planning on using their services again in the future!

The names we were provided was diverse and through.
    Extremely likely to refer to anyone in need of naming services.

Naming for Verifiable Marketing Community

"We weren’t caught off-guard by anything because they were upfront about what to expect."

Oct. 2018 - Jan. 2019

The Naming Group managed a naming process, performing consumer and competitor research and integrating their conclusions into several rounds of naming options. They also built a landing page.

Winter Park, Florida
Ted Scott
Corporate Development Manager, BritePool, Inc

The chosen name was successfully trademarked and has received positive reviews. Open and committed, The Naming Group managed expectations well and worked according to a strict deadline. Their ability to blend diverse voices into a cohesive set of names is highly noteworthy.

I’m the corporate development manager for BritePool. We’re trying to create an all-inclusive, verifiable ecosystem formed and owned by the digital marketing industry.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We needed to create a brand name and descriptor for our newest venture. Our core offering is both B2B and B2C, which posed a unique naming challenge.

We set out to position our brand to be both irresistible to consumers and transformational to the advertising industry, making people trust and accept modern advertising. The name had to create a strong picture in people’s minds.

One of our founders conducted an extensive search and chose The Naming Group because of the high quality of work featured on their website. Additionally, their philosophy and approach to selecting a name aligned with our goals.

The Naming Group started out by interviewing stakeholders to gather company and brand information. Then, they conducted their own exhaustive industry survey, tracking key customers, competitors, and the language they used to refer to competing products. We learned our space was saturated with jargon, which consumers don’t naturally trust or gravitate toward, and that customers are skeptical of identity tech platforms.

Using these insights, The Naming Group created criteria to identify an approachable, helpful, and exciting name. They presented an initial set of name candidates for us to respond too, and then they integrated our feedback. After screening final name candidates, they mocked up a website landing page and provided potential user language for each candidate. Finally, they led us through a decision-making process.

We worked directly with Nina (Founder, The Naming Group) and a second resource on this project. They brought on a trademark specialist and a few other people behind the scenes as well. The Naming Group also introduced us to a trademark attorney we used.

We were able to register our first-choice name for a trademark and are now developing branding around it. Even though it’s still early, we’re happy with how the name stands out in the crowd.

How effective was the workflow between your team and z theirs?

From the beginning, The Naming Group was transparent with their workflow and helped guide our team through it. They proposed a timeline and stuck to it and ensured all our voices were heard. We weren’t caught off-guard by anything because they were upfront about what to expect.

They excelled and distilled various stakeholders’ opinions and suggestions down into names that met our initial criteria (satisfy both the B2B and B2C markets) without being too tech-centric.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Naming and Research for Brand Consultancy

"Naming is a fine art, and the people at The Naming Group are masters."

June - July 2018

The Naming Group joined an ongoing branding project to create a set of naming options. They also articulated the strategic advantages of certain names to aid in the decision-making process.

Chris Danton
Chief of Ideas, IN GOOD CO

The naming options provided were more than satisfactory and displayed The Naming Group’s understanding of the brand and knowledge of the market space. Their detailed onboarding process and smooth collaboration made for attentive service. Customers can expect a creative, enthusiastic partner.

I’m the chief of ideas at IN GOOD COMPANY. We’re a culture-conscious creative and strategic brand consultancy founded on a belief that how you work directly impacts the work itself.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We needed to develop a name for one of our clients.

We wanted someone to develop several name candidates based on the brand foundation we’d already laid. The name had to bring a modern perspective to luxury and style while promoting women, culture, and community.

One of our team members recommended The Naming Group to us.

We’d already started creating our client’s brand, and The Naming Group immediately jumped in to clarify it and better define our strategy. During a research phase, they worked seamlessly with our team to make additions to our internal documents. They then produced a comprehensive deck of name candidates grouped by strategic direction and up-front strategic insights. The strategic insights provided carefully researched whitespace, language trends, themes, tones, and decision-making criteria we could pass along to our client.

Of all the team members at The Naming Group, we worked most closely with Nina (Founder, The Naming Group).

The Naming Group’s output far exceeded our expectations. The care, creativity, and expertise they put into every option were beyond compare.

We worked together seamlessly. From the thorough, easy-to-execute kickoff exercise through to every deck presented, working with them is like welcoming back a well-oiled member of your team. I couldn’t ask for more.

Naming is a fine art, and the people at The Naming Group are masters. The best part was seeing the thought and creativity they put into all the names—each one strategically on-point but without sacrificing the fun we were after.

No, not that I saw. I loved every bit of our engagement and I can't wait to work with them again.

Naming Services for Thought Leadership Company

“The Naming Group accomplished what we had been trying to do for years, in just a few weeks.”

July - Aug. 2018

The Naming Group provided naming and branding services through a four phase process that involved both parties. They helped determine overall identity, voice, and long-term goals to find a suitable name.

New York, NY
Sarah Judd Welch
Founder, Loyal

The process and resulting name exceeded all expectations. The Naming Group’s attentive care throughout the project instilled a sense of commitment and enthusiasm. They had a thorough, humanized approach that resulted in a successful name within a short timespan.

I’m the CEO of a new client-services company. We’re an innovative agency that helps companies make sustainable, relevant progress through their people.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

This new company is formed through a merger of two smaller agencies/consultancies, so we needed a new company name and narrative. We needed these things to combine the two company’s histories. We also needed significant help finding simple ways to explain who we are and what we do, breaking through a crowded, buzzword-filled space.

We needed to identify a new company name and positioning that represented our direction as a firm. We wanted to find simple ways to explain who we are and what we do, breaking through a crowded, buzzword-filled space.

Myself and the co-founder had each known the founder of The Naming Group, Nina, for years. They were the obvious choice because of their specialized expertise, impressive client work, and humanized approach. We had complete trust in their capabilities, so selecting them was a no-brainer.

The Naming Company gave us a scope with 4 phases. The first included discovery and research of our company. Their team gave myself and our co-founder forms to fill out about who we were, where we hoped to go, and our competitive landscape. Nina had us compare our answers to clarify the discrepancies, resulting in a more unified understanding of our goals. The next phase involved planning. The team developed naming criteria for selecting names, including essence, tone, and differentiation. The team spent significant time defining our essence. The next phase focused on the creation, in which Nina sent us possible names and took our feedback on them. Lastly, her team ran a trademark screening for the name we wanted and we made our final decision.

We worked primarily with Nina; she referred us to a partner for the trademark screening and offered a trademarking lawyer. We provide our team during phase four of the decision-making process.

Though we haven’t launched yet, we have found a name we feel incredibly confident in. We’ve gotten incredible support from our clients. The name has given our team the momentum and clarity we need to be a brand for thought leadership. Although it's scary to leave behind our old name, we have confidence in moving forward because of the help from The Naming Group.

The Naming Group team was very clear about the progress and the scope of the work. Each deliverable was given to us with a clear cover page about where we are in the process. The cover pages included graphics showing our exact progress and what was to come. We communicated with Nina through email and Google Docs; she was even more responsive than we expected.

The team was up for the challenge and made us feel valued throughout the process; they went above and beyond for this project. There was a significant amount of work Nina had to do upfront to figure out what made us different from our competitors. They were able to break down complex ideas into concepts we could fully understand. We would definitely work with this team again because it was a near perfect experience. The Naming Group accomplished what we had been trying to do for years, in just a few weeks.

If they were to include more information in the progress graphics on the cover pages, it would help us understand the micro-steps in the process.

Brand Name for Talent Acquisition Software

“They ran a thoughtful and systematic process.”

Mar. - May 2012

The Naming Group facilitated the initial branding process for an enterprise software provider.

Daniel Chait
CEO, Greenhouse Software

Systematic and customer-centric project management helped The Naming Group devise a unique brand name that accurately reflected the desired image.

I am the CEO and co-founder of Greenhouse Software, the world’s fastest-growing enterprise talent acquisition suite. Our software products help our customers identify and attract top talent, deliver exceptional experiences to candidates, make faster and smarter hiring decisions, and continuously iterate and improve their recruiting.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We needed a name for the company that would help position us in a very crowded market with hundreds of competitors and a low perception of value by customers.

Our goal was to have a great name that would set us apart from the competition. Our name should capture the benefits of a software platform that provides exponential value by helping transform a company's entire approach to hiring.

I was fortunate to meet Nina (Founder & President, The Naming Group) and learn about what they do. After hearing about their sophisticated and thorough approach, it was clear that it was worth it to invest in real professionals and not just make up a name by looking for available domains, like so many startups do.

They ran a thoughtful and systematic process. After evaluating the market and developing themes, they established a clear framework for us to strategically evaluate name ideas. They delivered a number of decks and interim work that demonstrated their professionalism and skill. These helped align our key stakeholders and ensured the final outcome had real buy-in.

Nina led the project and had a creative partner brought in for research and design execution.

Our name serves as the lynchpin of the brand. Nearly seven years later, it still stands out as something elevated and aspirational amongst a sea of boring, me-too brands.

They were thorough, effective, and efficient.

I had never imagined that something as seemingly simple as naming a company or product could have such a winning methodology behind it. They had real expertise applied thoughtfully and with great taste, judgment, and experience backing it up.

None.

Overall Score They’re the best.
    They were easy to work with.
    It was excellent.
    The outcome was great.
    I have referred them multiple times.

Web Property Naming for Media Company

"They fully understood what we were trying to accomplish."

Mar. 2018

The Naming Group helped name a new web property using in-depth research and an exhaustive brand questionnaire. They produced several names, including insights and mockups to facilitate decision making.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Mark Campbell
SVP of Digital Marketing, tronc, Inc.

Through a seamless process as well as prompt and clear communication, The Naming Group delivered a name the stood out among other brands, enabling its content to be distributed to other outlets. They delivered high-quality options within a great timeframe and at a reasonable price.

I’m the SVP of Digital Marketing at tronc, a media company with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, and The Baltimore Sun.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We needed to develop a name for a new web property we were exploring that would cut across the geographically-specific articles and audiences currently associated with tronc’s eight news brands in the U.S.​

​​​​​​What were your goals for this project?

This project marks an important development point in the company. The name had to represent a brand in and of itself with the possibility for syndication to other outlets.

After reaching out to a number of different naming agencies, we found that The Naming Group was the best fit for our needs.

The Naming Group conducted an initial intake process, having us complete a thorough brand questionnaire in addition to conducting their own internal research. They presented a number of name candidates along with strategic insights for each, real-life mockups of what the names would look like in context, and other decision-making guidance. This helped us envision the names as brands in the real world.

We worked primarily with their founder.

Among the suggestions we received from The Naming Group, we landed on one name that was universally praised and which cleared trademark review.

They were prompt, efficient, and clear.

Beyond the favorable timeline and cost, the most impressive component was the quality of the work. They fully understood what we were trying to accomplish via their thorough intake process, and thus produced naming suggestions that nailed the assignment on the first try.

Company Naming for Creative Agency

"The Naming Group has become a trusted partner in helping us shape our brand."

May - June 2016

Employing comprehensive market research and a thorough process, The Naming Group provided strategic name development and brand positioning services to establish trust and credibility in a unique industry.

Andrew Sloan
Creative Director, Cosma Schema

The impressive name appeals to a specific demographic and has facilitated exclusivity in social media handles and a dot com domain. The Naming Group over-delivered and far exceeded expectations with a seamless methodology, in-depth industry knowledge, and detail-oriented guidance.

I am the founder and creative director of Cosma Schema, a global brand strategy, design and experience agency focused exclusively on servicing the new space economy. We help aerospace companies of all sizes reach new audiences to advance the future of spaceflight and further humankind’s movement toward the cosmos.

For what projects/services did your company hire The Naming Group?

We hired The Naming Group to name our agency, assist with brand positioning, and communications.

As the first (and still the only) agency devoted solely to assisting clients in the space economy, we had a unique opportunity and our name needed to make a serious impact. We needed a brand and name that not only established trust and credibility in a conservative industry, but that helped us stand out creatively.

A friend in my network highly recommended The Naming Group. Their comprehensive proposal and clearly defined process set them apart from competitors during the selection process.

Thorough from beginning to end, the brand development and naming process involved deep market research with special attention to our business goals and creative leadership vision. Brand positioning was established first, followed by strategic name development and URL selection. They continue to advise us on copywriting and overall brand communication.

I worked primarily with Nina Beckhardt (Founder, The Naming Group), but others were involved in the naming process as well.

Not only is our name unique, evocative, and memorable, we have exclusive ownership for all social media handles and even the incredibly rare dot com domain. Creating a name that meets all of those requirements in the startup space is extremely challenging. Far exceeding my initial expectations for this project, The Naming Group has become a trusted partner in helping us shape our brand. We even contract their brand services for our own clients.

The workflow was extremely effective and efficient. The Naming Group delivered more than we expected ahead of schedule. What more could we ask for? Feedback was welcome at every step of the process and we were adequately counseled on the new name adoption.

Among the many things that impressed us was their ability to easily grasp the complexities of the space industry. Drawing on a sound, seamless process and a phenomenal depth of knowledge, they advised us the smallest details of creating an effective verbal brand to appeal to a very specific audience.

None!