Making Names Since 1985

NameStormers creates names, making sure your new product, service or company moniker is catchy, effective and easy to remember.

You tell us what you need. We listen, we ask questions and we involve our creative team—some of the best talent in the industry. You’ll get names you love, some that make you think, some that take you out of your comfort zone and everything in between. We provide a full menu of choices & then help you pick the best.

One price, guaranteed results.

While creating a memorable name is the first critical step in building brand awareness and competitive advantage in today’s marketplace, it is not the only step. Before you launch a new name, note that NameStormers offers related brand name strategy and tactical name research and implementation services. In addition to testing prospects’ and customers’ responses to your new name through quantitative research, we create catchy taglines, design logos, provide preliminary global trademark screenings and perform linguistic & cultural evaluations essential to building a strong foundation on which your new name can thrive. In today’s competitive market, a new name often has to do more than just capture the attention of prospects for a fleeting moment, it has to stop them in their tracks and “stick to the roof of the brain” for months or years to come.  NameStormers helps assure the success of your new name through our related support services.

1985
Austin, TX
  • NameStormers
    2201 Windsor Road East
    Austin, TX 78703
    512.267.1814

7-Eleven (Brazilian Bold), Affinia (The Liaison Hotel in DC), AICPA (Privacy Check), Alcoa (MetalSpectrum.com), American Heart Association (HeartHub), American National Bank (Sage Capital Bank), AMFAC Parks & Resorts (Xanterra), AOL (Privacy Wall, File Protect), Bissell (ProLite), BlueCross BlueShield (Inroads), Circuit City (Carmax), CVS (Gold Emblem)

Carmax

Many consumers felt that buying a used car was an unpleasant and seedy experience. Circuit City wanted to change that perception and make this type of purchase more enjoyable and professional. They hoped to create a unique atmosphere for the buyer where all the cars had warranties, a set price and documentation on past repairs and maintenance. The staff would be well-groomed, well-dressed and provide outstanding service in an attractive car-buying environment.

Circuit City preferred an easy to understand, automotive related name. Something short enough to really pop on signage and billboards but suggestive enough so that prospects driving by would have a pretty good idea of the concept. They also hoped for a name that supported their positioning of an optimal car-buying experience.

After the NameStormers presented a variety of names, Circuit City selected Carmax. It was short, easy to spell and not likely to be mispronounced. The “car” prefix directly related to the...

Naming for Portfolio of Enterprise Software Companies

"After we gave them the first round of feedback, they were able to take it to another level of creativity."

Aug. - Sept. 2017

NameStormers developed a new brand name for a legacy portfolio for an enterprise software company. The team went through multiple rounds of feedback, and reviewed domain availability and trademark clearance.

Austin, Texas
CEO, Computer Software Company

The response has been generally positive to the new brand name. They communicated and adhered to a clear timeline from the very beginning. Overall, their creativity and ability to incorporate feedback into each of round of naming took their work to another level.

I’m the CEO of a portfolio of enterprise software companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers.

I inherited a legacy portfolio containing about a dozen companies, which I am planning to grow significantly in the coming years with new acquisitions. I needed a new brand name for the portfolio going forward.

They gathered information about the background of our company including our organizational structure, our mission statement, and what brand attributes we were looking for. It was essentially general feedback on what was important to us from a brand perspective. They also asked if there were any brands in particular we liked, or other examples to gauge for our style and what we might be interested in. We went through multiple rounds, at least 2 or 3, before we came up with our final name.

They also did a comprehensive review of not only the domain name availability, but a preliminary trademark check to assess the risk level in terms of our likelihood to get trademark clearance.

Our primary contact was Mike [Carr], one of the principals and founders, and we also worked with one additional team member.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

A former colleague had worked with them in the past and highly recommended them. I knew they had a strong background in naming and due to the previous connection, I thought they would be great to check out as I redefine my enterprise software portfolio going forward, especially as I had a lot more experience with larger corporations.

We invested approximately $15,000.

We started working together in August 2017 and the engagement was completed in the middle of September.

While we don’t have any statistics yet, we do have anecdotal feedback that everyone loves the name. The response has been very positive.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent and have a highly defined process. They were clear on the whole timeline from the very beginning about what was expected out of us, and what they were going to do. It was managed very professionally and efficiently. We communicated primarily through email.

I was most impressed with their overall creativity and the breadth of names they were able to come up with. With each round of feedback we provided them, they were able to take to another level of creativity and create a band new set of options for us to evaluate. They really listened to our feedback and incorporated it into each round.

No, I can’t think of any.

I would recommend remaining open to considering names you might have not necessarily thought of otherwise, because sometimes what might not be your first choice at the beginning is the best choice after going through the rounds of feedback.

Overall Score It was a seamless process.
    They were able to work with us on a pretty aggressive deadline, which was great.
    Compared with other companies in the naming space, they’re more expensive – but I thought it was a fair price.
    They came up with a fantastic name.

Product Naming for Software Company

“They were very creative and at the same time very methodical.”

July - Sept. 2017

NameStormers provided product naming services for an accounting software company. They spent time understanding the business’ goals and brand, before conducting rounds of naming suggestions.

Verna Chao
General Manager, Datafaction

The process was smooth, professional, and efficient, with NameStormers providing a range of interesting and creative options for the business to choose from. They set out a clear timeline, deliverables, and expectations, and were highly consultive throughout the process.

I am the general manager of Datafaction, an accounting software for specialized accounting.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

We were launching a new product that offered a new generation of the same functionality but on a different platform. We wanted a new name for that product which could also leverage the heritage of our company.

NameStormers engaged with us and spent time learning about our business and our goals, and understanding our messaging, branding, and our audience. They gauged our appetite for certain types of names and the goals that we had for the business.

They went away and came back with a set of names for us to evaluate. We gave them feedback, which helped them get more specific, and dive deeper on a second round after incorporating our feedback. They then provided us with another round of names, of which we selected five, and they gave us guidance on the client customer review process. After that, we made our selection.

In both of their reviews, they had not done full copyright searches, but had done some of the initial research to find out if it was a name that was free and clear, had some risk of owning, or a name that we should steer away from.

We mainly worked with the founder, Mike [Carr, Founder, NameStormers]. Another person joined the calls to review some of the names.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

We are a subsidiary of City National Bank and our marketing group there had engaged with them for a parallel naming effort. I looked them up and saw that they had worked with a few of my colleagues at a previous company. I asked them for reviews, which was positive, so we decided to move forward from there.

We spent $15,000.

We started working with them in July of this year and the work was completed in early September.

The name itself aligns with some other products that the bank has. Even though we are a separate company, we are highly affiliated with the bank and there is an affinity with our solutions. It is a nice family brand that they were able to leverage, and overall, the process was positive. They were very creative and at the same time very methodical. This enabled us to get the credibility to change the name.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well. They laid out their process and timeline, and set expectations for our end, as well as commensurate deliverables. They were always prepared with the content and when the project was over, they sent us an eBook with all of the details.

They really listened to us and gave us options that were both in our sweet spot, and also enabled to think outside of the box. This gave us a good set of options to review with our clients. They were highly consultative, bringing in their own expertise, but I feel like they listened to us and had our goals in mind when they were providing their research and guidance.

No, the process was pretty seamless.

Advice for potential clients?

Come in with a good sense of who you are, and what it is you are trying to accomplish. This enabled us to move quickly into the real naming process, as they didn’t have to spend a lot of time getting guidance and direction around where we wanted to go. I am not sure how they work with people who aren’t ready, but we were ready and that allowed us to get some really good options in about six weeks.

Overall Score They delivered what they committed to delivering, and it was a high-quality output which enabled us to reach our goals.
    They met every deadline and were accommodating to our schedule.
    We only needed two rounds, but their commitment was to work with us until the end.
    They were clear, concise, and on time.
    I am highly likely to recommend them.

Naming for 3D Desktop Manufacturer

"The NameStormers team has a broad set of backgrounds, allowing them to draw from a lot of experience."

June - July 2017

NameStormers conducted preliminary research followed by multiple rounds of naming presentations for a manufacturing company looking to rebrand their organization after a recent acquisition.

Danielle Applestone
CEO, Other Machine Co.

Once senior leadership became involved in the process, NameStormers was able to produce an outstanding name within the timeline of one month. Despite dealing with a unique company that manufactures highly technical products, the team was able to understand the concept before creating a suitable name.

We are a manufacturer of desktop milling machines, similar to 3-D printers. We have eight people at our company. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

I founded the company four years ago and we hastily chose a name that just wasn’t right. My business was acquired in May of this year, and one of the first things we decided to do was to come up with a new name for the business. We wanted to create an entirely new brand, starting with the name.

First, we had an introductory phone call with NameStormers where we talked about what their process would be like and outlined the stakeholders who would be deciding on the name, which was myself and the new owner. They sent over a set of introductory questions about the way we saw our brand and what kind of things resonated with us in terms of imagery and meaning. The new owner and I filled out two separate sets of answers and then NameStormers took our responses and consolidated them into one set that they then shared with their team. They let us edit our responses before sharing it with their team to make sure everything was correct and that we were being represented in the way we wanted to be represented.

One week later, NameStomers came back with their first round of names and we met to provide our feedback. We had a call with the NameStormers team in which the new owner and I outlined which names we liked and which names we didn’t. We then did that process three more times, and at the end of the third round we chose one of their names.

They did not produce any other branding materials for us other than the name, but they did give analyses of each name that they proposed. The analyses were meant to give us a greater understanding on if the names existed in a crowded name space or if there were trademarks that already existed. They did preliminary research to make sure that we wouldn’t go down the path of selecting a name that we couldn’t trademark.

Mike Carr is the primary person we worked with at NameStormers.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

I found them through network connections. The new owner of my company has a dad who is a branding expert and has been doing it for a long time. Mike Carr from NameStormers was a friend of his and they had worked together in the past. We did not compare them to any other naming agencies.

The previous name for our company was a name we had come up with in-house. We had never worked with an agency similar to NameStomers before.

We spent $15,000.

We started working with NameStormers in June 2017 and the project was completed a month later in July 2017.

People love the new name. It's a dramatic improvement over the old name. It's not public yet but it's quite obvious to everyone within the company and to everyone that we've talked to about it.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

In the first two weeks, their team threw out a lot of names that already had domain names. I started to get a little nervous. But by the third week, they got more of their company leadership involved, including their more experienced people, which I think is why we got better names as a result. In every project, but especially in creative projects, you go through the process of realizing the process will be a bit more complicated than expected.

I don’t have a lot of experience with other providers so I can’t really compare them to others, but I will say that it’s kind of a miracle that we came up with a name that was so good. The NameStormers team has a broad set of backgrounds, allowing them to draw from a lot of experience. We have a super technical product and I was impressed that they were able to fully understand our company and deliver a name that suits us. They were able to really listen to us and get us to a point with a name that we all felt really happy with in a span of only a month. To me, that’s a great level of service.

In their process, they do one thing that particularly bothered me. The night before a meeting, they will send out a PDF document with all of the names they came up with, but the document is password protected. They didn’t want us to look at the names before they were presented to us, which I thought was weird. It was an intense process which ended successfully and in the end, I felt like my gripes were moot compared to the fact that we got a name that we really love.

We were on a really tight timeline. We needed to come up with a name for a company in a month which seems crazy, but NameStormers made it work.
    I'd always like to pay less but when you get a great name, it's irrelevant. The cost was fine with me.
    I felt that the process was a little bit clunky and we had to wrangle with them during it, but the final name they produced for us was amazing.
    It depends on the colleague. As a client of NameStormers, you have to manage the process, pay attention, and really ask for what you want.

Collaborative Naming Process with Advertising Agency

"They always came to the table with a good selection and range of names."

The client of a full-service advertising agency needed a name for a new product. NameStormers came in and managed that process, offering multiple rounds until the right name was selected.

Atlanta, Georgia
Pam Piligian
SVP, Fitzgerald & Company

NameStormers offers a more collaborative process than individual providers. Their approach results in a bigger breadth of names and subsequently greater opportunities for success for the clients they serve.

Fitzgerald & Company is a full-service advertising agency which does primarily B2C advertising. I’m the SVP and group account director.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

One of our clients, Pergo, came to us for a new product introduction, which would be proprietary to Lowe’s only. We needed a name for that laminate floor product.

We found NameStormers' process to be very engaging and wonderful. There’s a briefing process you go through, then they come back with the first round of names that’s very broad. The process is very collaborative because you can even add your own names. In our case, there was one area in the brief that we felt wasn’t quite addressed with the names presented. They worked on that and came back with more options. We went through those together, then went to a second and third round.

They’ll do as many rounds as you need to get people on board. Naming is not easy. There are tons of names out there, and in a lot of ways, it’s like asking someone to name your child. We talked directly to two of their account folks, but I don’t know how many people were involved in the name generation.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

We had successfully worked with NameStormers three years ago on a similar project, so we just went back to them.

How much have you invested with NameStormers?

The naming project for Pergo was $15,000, and the current project is about the same. That doesn’t include the research we did with NameStormers after the naming. We spent another $15,000 with them to do some quantitative and qualitative research on the names. If you add all three, it would be close to $45,000.

The project was about three years ago. That project is complete, but we’re now working with NameStormers on a category naming effort.

The product will launch in stores this fall, so we don’t have any metrics yet. On the qualitative side, NameStormers was very professional and on time. They always came to the table with a good selection and range of names.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

NameStormers was on time and on budget. The scope was what we expected. They did a good job of calling us when they had questions or concerns. Their project management was fabulous.

What did you find most impressive about NameStormers?

We’ve used another naming resource before, who is much more of a single individual who’s known for his naming expertise. He did a great job, but with NameStormers, you get a bigger breadth of names, and their process is more collaborative.

Are there any areas NameStormers could improve?

NameStormers did a good job with meeting the brief, as well as executing on what they promised. There were no surprises on the billing side. All of those things worked well.

Overall Score It was a good process and good output.
    NameStormers met all the deadlines, and they stayed on top of us to make sure we did.
    There’s good value in terms of what NameStormers does.
    NameStormers does a great job at giving you a good range of names. We enjoyed the collaborative nature of the process.
    I would recommend NameStormers without any hesitation.

Naming for Consumer Insights Company

"They have a smooth process for me and my clients."

2010 - Ongoing

NameStormers assisted in naming new consumer products to optimize sales. They offered a thorough and effective procedure for arriving at the best product name.

Amy Williamson
Partner, InSight Out

NameStormers' project management was a key feature. Occasionally their ideas felt recycled, but they met deadlines even when those deadlines were fast.

I am a partner in a consumer insights consultant company. There are two of us and we’re both principals. We do client side consumer insights on a consulting or contract basis.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

I typically engage them when we are working on new products and we need a name that’s engaging and will attract attention, but will also communicate clearly what the product mission is.

We brief them on the product and NameStormers has a brief document they provide for us to fill out that gives them all the context about the project they need to be effective. They lay out a timeline of when we’ll be seeing the first round of names. NameStormers will then walk through the first round of names with the client and me and they get our feedback. Then they do a second round and follow the same process until we’re satisfied. They have one flat rate no matter how many rounds a client requests. Usually, it’s two rounds but I’ve had clients that go into the fourth and fifth round. They offer another phase which is quantitative assessment of the names but most clients have their own process so I haven’t used them as much for that. For that process, they will quant test a list of six to eight of the top names and provide a recommendation from a quantitative perspective on which name to go with.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

I was given their name by one of my clients who had worked with them before and we did a project with them. Then I was asked by that same client to research naming companies and I looked at three or four naming companies to see how they approached the process and how much it cost. In that evaluation, NameStormers came up as the clear recommendation because they had a really good balance of cost, timing, and output. What you got for the money and the amount of time was a really good value compared to the other organizations.

How much have you invested with NameStormers?

We have spent between $15,000 to $20,000 per project with NameStormers.

We began working with them somewhere between 2008 and 2010. Most recently we worked with them in September 2016. I’ve worked with them eight to ten times over the years.

I haven’t been involved with the client afterwards to know any metrics. I think the clients are generally pleased with the names that are generated but there are times they don’t go with the name or don’t even launch the product.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management is their strength which is why I like working with them. They have a smooth process for me and my clients. We use email to communicate.

What did you find most impressive about NameStormers?

What they do best is the process and the value equation. They’re priced reasonably and the timing is good. They can fit into really tight timelines. They manage the process so it’s pretty seamless for the client.

Are there any areas NameStormers could improve?

They need to continue to get fresh ideas. Sometimes when I’ve gone back to them, you can see elements repeating themselves. I have clients all over the spectrum and sometimes I’ll see the same theme that’s applied to another category.

Overall Score Because of the fact that I can’t point to the successes.
    They do a great job on process but it’s not 100% hit rate on a winning name.

Collaborative Naming Strategy with Management Consulting Firm

"The people, the process, and the creative deliverables were outstanding."

May - Sept. 2016

NameStormers worked with a branding consultant to develop a name and marketing materials for an emerging product in a new target segment.

Baltimore, Maryland
Karen Beck
President, KB Insights LLC

The top leadership at NameStormers is what sets them apart. Their principals are receptive to new ideas and feedback and kept the entire project running smoothly.

KB-Insights is a marketing and branding consulting firm. I take customer feedback from primary research and help clients implement customer-driven branding strategies.

I’m founder and president.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

I needed their skill set for a particular project that I was working on for a client. Specifically, I needed their product naming experience.

We brought NameStormers on to name a product in a brand–new category that was in a brand–new target segment. The client wanted to come up with a brand that resonated in theme and look. NameStormers helped us develop that name and translate it into a logo and identity package for marketing materials. The solution we came up with was completely validated in the marketplace through research.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

I found them online looking for businesses that specialize in name development for brand new services. I looked at three companies and had conversations with them but the conversation I remember the most was with Mike, the principal of NameStormers. He impressed me with the methodology that he used to develop names which includes several steps, including research. My company provides research, so it was a natural fit for us to work together on this project.

How much have you invested with NameStormers?

The project cost was between $20,000 and $25,000.

We started working together in May of 2016, and we completed the project in September of 2016. We still have contact with them about the project when we have questions.

We don’t have any metrics yet because the newly-named product will be launched this quarter and through the rest of the year. My client and I were very pleased with the methodology deployed by NameStormers.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

NameStormers is very organized. They create a project book that evolves throughout the project. Every round of creative and legal reviews was accompanied by a spreadsheet that, by the end of the project, was compiled into one book. The client then had everything they needed if they ever wanted to look back on the process.

What did you find most impressive about NameStormers?

The product and process are great but what shines to me are the principals, Mike and Kay. They are such a pleasure to work with. They’re intelligent, thoughtful, very good listeners, and open to ideas. We had a group of 10 people who were involved in the decision-making process, so there were differing opinions, but they were levelheaded and calm through the process.

Are there any areas NameStormers could improve?

No, the whole project was smooth. I would work with NameStormers again.

Overall Score Our objectives were met on time, and everything is working as it should.
    Our process took several months and had many steps, but there was never a delay because of NameStormers.
    We got a lot for what we spent.
    The people, the process, and the creative deliverables were outstanding.
    I would recommend NameStormers without hesitation.

Product Naming for Food & Beverage Company

"Their willingness to continue to iterate until the client is happy is a huge plus of working with NameStormers."

Nov. - Dec. 2016

To differentiate a new product in the beverage market, NameStormers issued copywrite screening to come up with multiple naming options.

Strategic Analyst, Beverage Company

NameStormers has a quick turnaround rate that the client appreciated. They excel at responding to feedback to keep the project moving forward.

We are a food and beverage company. I work in the consumer insights team, specifically working on short-term commercialization of new products.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

We were experiencing a little bit of trouble given that our product in the market is straightforward and describes what the product is without a fanciful name. We needed NameStormers to come in and help us understand where we could take this new product and how we could best differentiate its name.

Before we got started, we briefed them on our problem. After that briefing, NameStormers delivered an in-depth analysis of where they were thinking of taking the name. After that, we did multiple rounds of naming. Their PDF deliverable was a list of 25+ names with a tagline under each of them, which served as a reason behind the name. The team took turns describing the meaning behind the name and why they thought it would work. NameStormers also conducted full copyright screening for each of the names they proposed, and they also showed the risk level of each. If one was riskier from a copyright perspective, they noted that. NameStormers also considered websites. If the name for the website was available, they noted that as well.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

A colleague had worked for NameStormers in the past and recommended them because of their willingness to iterate until we were happy. Unlimited rounds were offered. We needed the name to be differentiated from our existing products in the market. Typically, we rely on other methods like consumer generation for naming. For this particular problem, we needed someone to know the background of our business situation and what we were looking for in order to come up with a name.

How much have you invested with NameStormers?

We have spent between $15,000-$20,000.

We started working with them in early November 2016 and ended in late December 2016.

I can’t provide anything at this time, given that the project is still underway. We took over the project internally, and we’re still working through the final list of names that we want to end up testing quantitatively with consumers.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was done very well. NameStormers was always prompt to respond and request receipts of materials. From a timeline perspective, they turned work around really fast, which we appreciated. Each round was completed fairly quickly.

What did you find most impressive about NameStormers?

Their in-depth screening of copyright was impressive. That type of screening is something you can’t get from brainstorming in-house or from consumer generation. It’s really helpful because it takes the names that we can’t use off of the table.

Their willingness to continue to iterate until the client is happy is a huge plus of working with NameStormers. You know you’re going to eventually get something that you’re satisfied with because they’re willing to go back to the drawing board, take feedback, and bring you back something that’s closer to what you were expecting and gets you further in the process.

Are there any areas NameStormers could improve?

NameStormers did a really good job in describing the "why" behind the name. However, in the kind of area that we are working with, we need the name to speak for itself. Needing the name to be explained was probably the only drawback, and it probably could have been addressed sooner.

NameStormers spent a lot of time on their deliverables. They did in-depth copyright screening which was really helpful.
    It depends on your business situation. I have already recommended NameStormers to other colleagues.

Brand Strategy for Consumer Product Client

"We appreciate the fact that they’ve worked with some top name brands and were able to pull that experience through to help inform our planning."

Feb. - Nov. 2016

NameStormers worked with a PR firm to aid their client in strategizing the optimal way to leverage their brand and products in a new market.

Director of Insights, PR Agency

The process of working with NameStomers is straightforward and clear. They do well with adapting to changing requests and schedules.

We are a public relations agency focused on integrated marketing communications.

I am the director of insights working on primary and secondary research.

What challenge were you trying to address with NameStormers?

We brought NameStormers in as a partner to work with a client and help launch new products.

The client is in the tools industry. They were creating a new line of products that would move out of the tools space and into more of a consumer space for outdoor sports and recreation. NameStormers was able to strategize with us. We figured out how the product not only fit into the existing space the client was in but also how they could continue to grow their brand as they looked at new audiences.

How did you come to work with NameStormers?

We found them through a referral from another client. We engaged Mike and he laid everything out for us. They became an extended part of our team.

How much have you invested with NameStormers?

We spent between $20,000 and $35,000 on the project.

We began working with them in February 2016 and the project was completed in November 2016.

We don’t have any metrics. NameStormers has been a trusted partner of ours. They have been very forward and strategic in their thinking. The client trusted their process and previous success.

How did NameStormers perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really great at trying to stay on schedule. Unfortunately, there were some business situations that required us to flex with the schedule. They were flexible and adapted to our needs. At the same time, they were straightforward about how long a task was going to take.

What did you find most impressive about NameStormers?

They have a wealth of experience in their field. We appreciate the fact that they’ve worked with some top name brands and were able to pull that experience through to help inform our planning. They were able to leverage the experience they have in the space and gave some tough feedback at times, which we and the client appreciated. They were able to challenge our thinking in order to get where we needed to be.

Are there any areas NameStormers could improve?

The reporting was a bit clunky but it’s very data-driven. They were great to work with and I would choose them again.

I appreciate their flexibility when we were not able to meet the timeline. They were very responsive.
    They were very cost-effective.

Brand Name Change for Housing Research Firm

"We felt that they were affordable, and good, and professional, and they delivered on time and within budget."

NameStormers provided brand development services by assisting in the choice of a new brand name. This included name drafting and a quantified vetting process through study of key client groups.

Maryland
Michael Luzier
President & CEO, Home Innovation Research Labs

Their performance was outstanding. They delivered on time and on budget, and the quality of site traffic has markedly improved. Constituent groups surveyed were overwhelmingly positive about the new name and the project is considered a success.

Please describe your company.

We’re an accredited third-party research firm focusing on housing issues. We provide a wide array of services that are all aimed at helping clients move new products and technologies into the housing industry. We do third-party product testing, research, certification, and engineering research. We’re focused almost exclusively on residential construction.

What is your role at the company?

I’m the president and CEO.

What was your goal for working with NameStormers?

We’re a for-profit company that’s a subsidiary of a nonprofit company. We have been focused on growing our private sector services, and we found that there was incredible confusion in the marketplace between shared elements of our name with that of our parent corporation. When we would interact with prospective clients, they would confuse us with our parent corporation, which provides a fundamentally different set of services in the marketplace than we do. They’re a membership and advocacy organization and we’re a research house.

The second aspect was that our old name did not really indicate or convey anything about the role we played in the marketplace. Not only did we not get brand equity for it, it wasn’t a good name for indicating what we did. What we’re about is promoting innovation, which is one of the reasons why you now see innovation as the overriding principle in our new name. So, the goal was to communicate our value proposition in the marketplace better, and to avoid the confusion customers had between who we were relative to our parent corporation.

Please describe the scope of NameStormers’ work.

We had developed some names internally that we thought were good. NameStormers took those and then augmented that list. They first wanted to understand what we did in the marketplace, what our concerns were, and what products and services we offered. Once they had a grounding in that, they developed a whole range of name options for us to look at. We had three or four potential names to start, and they probably developed another forty or fifty names, without regard to ownership rights or trademarks at first. We then sorted through those to see if some of those were available, and some of them weren’t. We reduced that list from 50 to about 15 or so for consideration. We went through an internal process with our leadership team and their researchers to whittle the choice of names down further to five or six. We did an analysis of the pros and cons of those.

We then asked NameStormers to help us quantify the relevance of those names with three key client groups: Homebuilders, consumers of housing-related products, and housing product manufacturers. We wanted to understand and quantify the degree to which each of those key constituencies for us liked or didn’t like the name, and why they felt that way. We tested those names relative to our current name and each other among the three client groups. When the research was done, the data was just overwhelmingly clear that the name we have now, Home Innovation Research Labs, was the name that resonated best with all three client groups.

What was your process for selecting NameStormers with which to work?

I asked the head of my market research for help finding somebody to do this. He identified five or six companies, and we interviewed three of them. They were just overwhelmingly the best choice, and our management team was unanimous in selecting them. I liked several things about them. Number one, the primary thing they do is provide expertise in brand names, and that was impressive to me. They were very specialized.

Number two is that they had done a lot of work within the housing industry. Some of the work they had done was for companies that are well-known within our industry, and that gave me a great deal of confidence that they understood the intricacies of our industry. They also had some very notable big brands they had done work for, which was very impressive to me. So, they had clearly demonstrated expertise and a lot of experience, which I didn’t think was necessary but was helpful.

Finally, they were very cost effective. They were affordable, very efficient, very straightforward, and businesslike. So, they were just easy to deal with and quite cost effective.

Can you provide a sense of the size of the project with a general cost or work-hour figure?

We spent around $25,000.

About how long did the work take, and when was it completed?

I think we did this in a three-month period. We officially changed our name in late 2011.

What were the results of the work?

The best way I can measure it is the improved quality of traffic on our website. We also did a major overhaul to our website, to focus on private sector services. We get around 10,000 unique visitor sessions a month. What we were finding before is that we were getting a lot of traffic, but a lot of it was just generally interested people who were finding their way to our website, but were never going to be customers.

The people that come to our website now contact us, and come to us with a much clearer picture of who we are and where we fit in. So, they helped qualify potential business leads for us in a much better way, instead of spending time with people who are never going engage us for anything. So, that’s been really important, and probably my best metric now.

How would you describe their performance?

Outstanding. We were thoroughly pleased. We felt that they were affordable, and good, and professional, and they delivered on time and within budget.

They have the most impressive body of work in brand naming. They’ve worked with companies of all sizes, including some real powerhouses.

No, I don’t think so. I would hire them again.

I would recommend them without qualification.