delivering complex, scalable web solutions

MTR Design is a Bulgarian software development consultancy with proven track record in delivering complex, scalable web solutions.

We are a 14-person web development shop with substantial experience in Python, Java and PHP development specialised in building complex, scalable web solutions. Our engineers are very experienced (besides our core technologies we have done occasional gigs with RoR, Lua, and lately Go), and most of them are working together for more than 5 years, and some - even more than 10.

2005
Sofia, Bulgaria
  • 3 East Point, High Street, Seal
    Sevenoaks, KEN TN15 0EG

Our clients range from mid-sized businesses to large corporations such as Pfizer, Exxon Mobil, Channel 4, Danone, The Telegraph, Nuffield Health, River Cottage, etc. We are working with a number of digital agencies, and we are also acting as development partners of a number of funded startups with industry domains such as the Energy Market, Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare, Social Media, Professional Networks, Travel Industry, Medical and Census Data, and Business Intelligence.

Custom Web Dev. for Online Advertising Platform

"Our server management and programming costs have gone down while our profits have gone up."

Feb. 2014 - Ongoing

MTR Design developed an advertising platform from scratch using multiple technologies, including ReactPHP, Python, and MySQL. Currently, they are working on optimization and mobile development.

Director of Business Development, Optimal Fusion

The platform developed by MTR Design has become this company’s leading service. The team’s innovative work has attracted multiple Fortune 500 companies, and they continue to develop and optimize the platform for faster performance speeds.

I am the director of business development at Optimal Fusion. We are an online advertising boutique specializing in connecting advertisers with consumers. We work with both Fortune 500 and smaller companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with MTR Design?

We used to have an old advertising platform that was not always efficient and had limited capabilities. We decided to build a brand new platform instead of fixing the old one, and the time we had to do so was very limited.

I worked closely with MTR to develop our new online advertising platform from scratch.

MTR has managed everything including the database, front- and backend coding, and optimization. That platform was originally built using Python, PHP, and MySQL. They have helped us continuously develop the platform for two years now, adding more features, more power, and new innovative solutions to allow the platform to work seamlessly. Recently, MTR recommended switching to ReactPHP and Lua, both of which have helped us process more data and run the platform more efficiently. They also use AWS-Managment for server upgrades each week, and are getting ready to develop an SDK in order for our platform to work in mobile applications.

I work closely with the head of MTR and a lead programmer. I have also worked with server developers and am getting ready to begin working with a mobile developer as well.

How did you come to work with MTR Design?

A friend of our CEO recommended them before I joined our company.

We have spent around $200,000.

Our company began working with them in February 2014, and I still work with them every day.

The platform MTR helped us develop is currently being used by thousands of websites and has attracted top Fortune 500 companies. We have more than 6 million clicks a day and are now also entering the mobile app world.

How did MTR Design perform from a project management standpoint?

I experience amazing communication with them. We use Basecamp as our project management tool, and I have personally developed a close relationship with their programmers. They are very responsive even after hours.

MTR has taken on the initiative of further optimizing the platform before we even asked them to. Recently their CEO told me they had an idea to help get the platform running quicker and, after I gave them my approval to work on it, they delivered an update two weeks later that has us running 10 times faster. All of this has been done at a very reasonable price, and in fact, our server management and programming costs have gone down while our profits have gone up.

The relationship I have developed with MTR is really amazing and based on my experience what I would describe as the ideal relationship between teams.

No. I think the team is doing great in all fields.

Not particularly. I would advise a company to know what they want when they are developing a project. MTR will deliver even if a company has no idea what they are looking for, but the more knowledge one has the faster the results.

Overall Score I do not give out fives easily, but MTR truly deserves it.
    They are very fast and always deliver on time.
    They were kind enough to adjust the cost of certain things for us.
    I strongly recommended them.

Front-end Dev for Online Services Platform

"The software hasn't needed constant readjusting, so it’s been a very satisfactory experience."

Apr. 2011 - July 2013

Building from a previous vendor’s work, MTR used PHP to develop the frontend and backend of a website aimed at gathering and analyzing user feedback. Design work and site maintenance rounded out the engagement.

CEO, Online Platform

Consistent site performance and stability and a satisfied user base speak for themselves. Beyond being technically savvy, the MTR team puts customers at ease, engendering trust and a sense that they will deliver creative, on-time solutions.

I work for an online technology platform that gathers feedback and insights from groups by asking open-ended questions.

What challenge were you trying to address with MTR Design?

The main challenge was how to create a software platform that allows many people to give feedback and also produce a concise view of that group through a self-regulating system.

We needed help to create a PHP frontend for the software to allow for user participation and interaction, as well as with the administration of the system on the backend.

They mainly did development work but also did some design work on digital assets throughout the system (e.g., buttons).

MTR was involved right from the beginning of the development of the frontend, which needed to plug in to an API created by another contractor. As far as system administration, the development started in 2011 and continued through most of 2012.

After that, MTR was involved on more of a maintenance level. They participated in some additional development sprints, as well as the installation of the system in a couple of client locations.

My main point of contact is Milen [Owner, MTR Design]. Over the entire engagement, there’s been 5–6 people assigned to the project.

How did you come to work with MTR Design?

They were recommended to me by a business contact who'd used them before and was very happy with their work.

We started working together around April 2011. The project was finished around July 2013, but there's been continued involvement for support and maintenance.

The feedback has been largely very positive, with a high level of user satisfaction. I’m also satisfied because there's been hardly any downtime, there haven’t been any catastrophic issues, and there have been only a few minor issues. The software hasn't needed constant readjusting, so it’s been a very satisfactory experience.

How did MTR Design perform from a project management standpoint?

My limited experience with their project management interface was absolutely fine.

The team at MTR is very professional. Not just coding, but they’re natural problem solvers and technicians. I always had the feeling of being in very good hands.

Nothing jumps out.

Spend time talking and planning with them before they start to code. They know what they're doing so if they query something or push back on a topic, listen to what they have to say.

I can't remember them not hitting a deadline.
    I'm very likely to recommend them.

MVP for Professional Coaching Platform

“We were impressed by their ability to solve problems.”

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

MTR Design built the first version of a platform that features training videos. The team also designed and developed the frontend of the website. They continue to provide maintenance and enhancements.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
CEO, Training Company

MTR Design communicated well, sending regular updates that helped keep the project on track. Aside from project management, they also excelled at finding solutions.

We are a tech startup that produces and offers e-learning videos to individuals, companies, and universities.

For what projects/services did your company hire MTR Design?

MTR built our first initial minimum viable product (MVP). They continue to help us with monthly maintenance work and other developments.

Our goal was to have an MVP that would help us secure new clients and further support their learning needs.

They were recommended by one of their previous clients.

They designed, developed, and launched the entire backend system for us. They also designed and built our frontend website.

We dealt directly with two members of their team.

The project was delivered within budget and on time.

How effective was the project management?

The project management was effective. MTR uses a system called Basecamp, so we had good communication with our account manager. We were in regular contact with the team, who sent us updates. We always felt that they listened to us.

We were impressed by their ability to solve problems as well as their communication.