A partner for growing ecommerce businesses.

Businesses who want websites that look great (but perform even better) partner with us. We identify and fix performance inefficiencies and find opportunities for optimization using design, development, and marketing, in order to grow online sales.

Portland, OR
  • Monumental
    107 SE Washington St. Suite 234
    Portland, OR 97214

Hestan Cue, Oxygenetix, Airblaster, Antlion Audio, LOOK/SEE, Vanity Planet, CreateLegal

Web Design For Clothing Company

“They communicate super clearly and work quickly.”

2012 - Ongoing

Monumental are long-term collaborators who built and continue to develop a Shopify-themed website for an outdoor sports company. They work on the maintenance updates, add functionalities, and SEO.

Portland, Oregon
Managing Partner, Airblaster

Monumental’s team used their expertise in e-commerce and web design to build a creative and easy to use website that incorporates innovative solutions to design challenges such as interactive icons. Conversions have increased, and there has been general improvement across all areas.

We design and contract the manufacture of snowboard clothing and equipment. I am a managing partner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monumental?

We wanted our website built from the ground up, and then for it to be updated in various degrees over the years. Our initial goal was to upgrade to a more e-commerce focused website.

Three years ago, we had them do a full new build for us—a custom Shopify-themed website. Since then, they’ve been involved with all the maintenance updates, re-skinning, and any new functionalities.

This year we’re moving forward with them to do a complete ground up rebuild again. The existing platform is kind of dated now. We have some new design and functional challenges for them that are fun, but also challenging. We basically paint the vision and they’re responsible for coming up with realistic ways that they can execute and build those functionalities within the scope of our budget.

There are some functional garment aspects that we really need to communicate effectively, efficiently, and succinctly to our customer base. For those, we developed a set of icons. One of the problems that Monumental solved for us was how to get these icons to appear on the product page. You can roll over the icons to get more information. That was a modification from an existing template, and they solved it for us very well.

Finally, we got into SEO—Monumental are able to create a template that is super easy for us to use and positively affects the SEO. At every stage, they guide us through SEO and put the SEO benefits out on the table so we can choose what the right balance is.

How did you come to work with Monumental?

I didn’t start the relationship, so I’m not sure.

$20,000–25,000. After our current project, it’ll be around $35,000–40,000.

We started working together in 2012 and the work is ongoing.

We have better conversion directly, even though visits to our P2P partners went down, so achieved our goals there. I don’t have any super concise metrics or numbers. Qualitatively though, we’ve definitely looked at the metrics that we are trying to improve and have seen improvement in those areas.

How did Monumental perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. Their communication is good. Rob, the founder, has been super responsive. We throw a lot of challenges at them and they come up with solutions for the challenges.

On our new project, I’ve been more directly involved with the backend changes and I’ve been super impressed, especially with their expertise in the current state of e-commerce and web design. They communicate super clearly and work quickly. Everybody is open to ideas and on the same page as far as finding the best solution in the easiest and most effective way.

I’ve been really impressed with their communication and attention to detail. I always appreciate understanding their process so that we can make informed decisions together. They’ve been super transparent and have explained to us the options, as well as the obstacles that lie in certain areas. I really appreciate being able to get a window into their process so that we can make informed decisions together.

They’re also very creative. We want to do creative things with our website, and they come up with equally creative solutions to actually execute our ideas.

I can honestly say no. The only improvement would be getting started earlier and initiating the project earlier. They’re doing a great job in an efficient manner and are super fair on their price.

Overall Score They’ve been great to work with. We look forward to working with them in the future.
    They’re working very quickly with all of the information that we give them.
    They’re willing to work with us on our budget and try to get the most out of that for us.
    The quality of their work has been impeccable.
    For sure, I would.

Web App Dev For Shoe Retailer

"[They] understood the needs of a family business and our specific project well enough to make meaningful suggestions."

June 2016 - July 2017

Monumental developed an application that displayed at which branch location inventory was available. The project used an API to connect the private inventory control system to the public website.

Portland, Oregon
Joel Habre
VP Marketing, Shoe Mill

The software successfully interpreted thousands of data points, and the finished application increased the quality of customer service offered. Monumental's commitment to project management and communication were noteworthy.

I am the vice president of marketing for Shoe Mill, which is an eight-store family run chain in Portland and Salem, Oregon.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monumental?

Our website sells our shoes and our products. And one of the common requests of people over our chat function is a request for product availability at specific stores. Footwear is a product that people want to try it on. We thought it'd be a good idea for our website to display which stores our products are in stock. We asked Monumental to sync our inventory control system with our website display.

Monumental was responsible for creating an application for our Shopify based website Shoemill.com. They were able to interpret the data from our unique inventory control system and convert it to being able to be displayed on Shoemill.com. If somebody makes a change to size or widths for any product the display of availability would change accordingly. We carry 7,000 unique products which can come in up to 50 variations of sizes and widths. Quite a lot of data needed to be considered through the application and the API.

The data comes through the FTP [File Transfer Protocol] of our inventory control system and then into a server that allows connectivity with our public display website. They used a secure connection and the requests are processed through an API. Monumental did a great job of interpreting all of the data points in a way that could functionally be displayed website.

I worked with Rob, the owner of Monumental, and we first discussed the scope and timeline, and budget of the project. There was also a master developer who worked on the project, I assume remotely. Rob used some of his in house staff for to develop the front end display

How did you come to work with them?

We used our search engine optimization expert from Seattle who has some history working with developers. He did some research on Shopify experts in Portland and found Monumental. We thought it'd be nice to work with someone local so I would be able actually to go to their office and speak with them directly.

How much have you invested with Monumental?

By the time it was all said and done we had we had spent $15,000. We had some server issues that extended the project, and increased the cost, but Rob kept me up to date on that.

We began in the middle of 2016 and finished as of this month.

We feel like it was the right thing to do from a customer service perspective to invite customers within our market area to go into one of our locations because I know that our staff does a better job than the web site. Recently there have been anecdotes from our employees that a mentioned that they came in because they saw a specific product was available at my store. I can’t say specifically, but feel like it is already working.

How did Monumental perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management and communication have been great. Rob had a baby in the middle of the project and I couldn't really tell. I told him to not worry about me right now but there was no disruption to our flow at all which I thought was impressive.

Monumental does a good job of making sure there are no surprises. For example, there were no sudden invoices. They also do a great job of providing an outline scope of work and providing product updates throughout the process. Rob understood the needs of a family business and our specific project well enough to make meaningful suggestions.

I tried to edit the scope of the project along the way because I was trying to save money or thought that I could do things that I shouldn't have even tried to do. He was accommodating, however, we ended up using the original scope of work that he suggested, which was the right way to do it.

Shopify Web Design for Benefit Corporation

"I really appreciate their helpfulness and their suggestions on how to make our site better."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Monumental redesigned a new theme for an existing Shopify website and simplified the code. They also optimized it for mobile devices and improved the navigation and content presentation.

Bend, Oregon
Brand Manager, Sudara

Monumental remains diligent and flexible in spite of project delays and provides regular status updates. Their developers offer valuable feedback and insight and can clearly communicate technical ideas in layman’s terms. They are a small team that delivers consistency in personnel and quality.

I am the brand manager Sudara and we are a benefit corporation based in Bend, Oregon. We work with our NGO partners in India on creating living-wage jobs and skills training for women in India who are at a high risk for or survivors of human trafficking.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monumental?

We needed a complete website refresh based on feedback we were hearing from customers and our digital agency. For the original website, we had bought a theme from Shopify and then worked in house as well as with contractors to modify it to fit our needs. However, we were finding that customer would leave the site because it was taking too long for the page to load. Monumental helped us understand was that there was just too much code embedded on the site from all of our customization. It was we determined that we needed a complete overhaul of our website on the Shopify platform. We wanted to increase sales, increase conversions and decrease the lead time on the page. It was really helpful to work with Monumental to redevelop an entire new theme that would better fit who we are and our customers.

The scope of the project was to develop a new theme for our website on the Shopify platform. We were not changing a lot of the content on our site. The changes were focused on the way that our content was presented and the general navigation of the website. We also needed it to be more mobile friendly so both for iPhone and for tablet. We also wanted to make sure that we had more control over our ability to change things in-house and we wanted it to appeal to a younger customer.

How did you come to work with Monumental?

We were based in Bend, Oregon and Monumental is based in Portland. We wanted to work with a Shopify expert because in the past developers who were unfamiliar with it were adding unnecessary code. We went to the Shopify site and they have a list of people to search through based on skills, expertise, and location. We looked into three different companies and ultimately decided on monumental because they were just so easy to work with. They were coming with their own solutions to our speed problems and were really eager to get started.

We have spent around $40,000.

We started working March of this year.

We are getting ready to launch the new website in a couple of weeks, so I don't have any results right now.

How did Monumental perform from a project management standpoint?

They have been fantastic. They've been very flexible through some of our internal delays. Rob has continued to keep us updated on the status and the project and the communication have been great. Our calls have been with Rob and he has also brought on the developers to give their own feedback and insight into our project.

It's been really nice working with a small team. I've worked with a large consulting company in the past and generally when something is presented to you, you're given the A-players but the people who actually implement the project are different. With Monumental it has not been that way at all, we had consistency throughout the project. I also really appreciate their helpfulness and their suggestions on how to make our site better. I also enjoyed the ease of working with them. We are not tech savvy and we don't have an internal IT person so they explain things in very layman's terms.

Nothing that I can think of right now. They've just been fantastic to work with.

I already have.