Brand by Design

Since 2001, modern8 has been at the helm of the brandscape experience. We’re design-centric and understand how to strategically explore and create brands that emphasize your messaging. Armed with our self-developed d5 Branding Process, we are ready to explore new thinking and understanding.

No matter the project, we work to conceptualize, express, design, and actualize through strategic practices, and produce a standalone final outcome to meet and exceed our clients’ goals.

2001
Salt Lake City, UT
  • 145 West 200 South
    Salt Lake City, UT 84101

InContact, Brainstorm, NIC, School Improvement Network, MHTN, Yesco, Tailor Built Homes, Ritual Chocolate, nush foods, Signal Peak Ventures, RizePoint, Bear River Mutual, Arch Nexus, ImPartner, Divvy Pay, Jacobsen Contruction, Ascent Contruction, USTAR, University of Utah, Barbacoa, Ogden Clinic, Silicon Slopes, Nature's Seed

Branding & Naming for Organ Recovery Nonprofit

“I appreciate that they seek out opinions and let people speak their mind.”

Sept. 2018 - Ongoing

modern8 piloted an intensive rebrand effort to establish a new name, logo, and color palette. They interviewed both internal and external stakeholders and led guided workshops to reach a decision.

Alex McDonald
Director of Public Relations, Intermountain Donor Services

Throughout the rebrand, modern8 made sure that all parties understood the process and felt involved. The team facilitated discussions to capture a comprehensive view of the brand, remaining open to different ideas. They’re now finalizing additional branding assets and are supporting a site redesign.

I’m the director of public education and public relations at Intermountain Donor Services. We’re a federally designated nonprofit organ procurement organization that serves Utah, southern Idaho, and a corner of western Wyoming. We recover organs and tissues for transplantation.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We needed to rebrand our organization because people were mistakenly associating us with another large healthcare group. modern8 helped us establish our own identity and clarify our mission under a new name.

modern8 led us through a thorough rebranding process, interviewing internal and external stakeholders to get a better sense of our company. They wanted to know how people felt about us and what their impressions were about our services.

Based on the results, the team came up with a series of colors and words that people associated with us. We then had 3–4 workshops to discuss how we emotionally felt about the company compared to the public’s perception. It was an extensive, thoughtful exercise that lasted roughly six months. By the end, we had captured the right tone and chose a new name, logo, and color scheme.

Currently, modern8 is helping us finalize various branding assets, including letterheads, business cards, email signatures, and more. We’ve also decided to update our website with a whole new look, so they’re guiding us through that process as well.

I mostly interact with Peter (New Business Director & Brand Strategist, modern8) and Alysha (Managing Director, modern8). There have also been a few other helpful team members.

How did you come to work with modern8?

We sent out an RFP to six major organizations in Salt Lake City that advertise rebranding services. Out of all the candidates, Peter’s response resonated with us the most because one of his family members had undergone a kidney transplant. He understood the emotional attachment of what we do, and that personal connection made a big difference for us.

We’ve invested $25,000 so far. The website development will cost an additional $20,000.

We started working together in September 2018, and the engagement is ongoing.

The whole rebrand has been very interesting and a lot of fun. When we unveiled the name, people loved it. modern8 explained how intricate and intensive the process was to our entire organization. They really put everyone at ease and made our staff feel involved.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

Their customer service is outstanding. They keep in touch with us about our progress and are responsive to our needs. If we ever have to call or meet up with them on short notice, they’re happy to accommodate. They’re also good at keeping us on task and prod us every once in a while to keep to the timeline.

Their team has a good sense of humor and is very easy to work with. I appreciate that they seek out opinions and let people speak their mind. During the workshops, they encouraged us to have a spirited debate about what we liked and didn’t like, which helped ensure that we captured everything. It was a very comfortable situation.

No, nothing comes to mind.

It’s important to plan ahead and contact them early, especially if you’re on a tight schedule. From my understanding, modern8 only takes two projects a month so that they can really focus on their clients.

Overall Score They’re a good group to work with. Not only do they do a thorough job, but their personalities and services are great.
    They’re good about keeping us on task. We never have to worry about them.
    It’s been a good value.
    Once a while, some of the colors on the final pieces of collateral would be a different shade, but this could have been a difference in printers.

Branding for Inspection Professional Hiring Platform

"The quality of the work was commensurate with what I would have expected at twice the price."

July 2018 - Ongoing

modern8 provides ongoing brand strategy services for a technology startup serving employers and job seekers. They produced a brand book after extensive visual identity workshops and naming discussions.

Morgan Hill, California
Christopher Brenchley
CEO, Surehand

modern8 is dedicated to cultivating a client-focused approach that yields scalable designs and brand identities. The team’s size allows them to offer engaged service without sacrificing quality. They succeed in delivering creative solutions at a far more reasonable price than larger firms.

I’m the CEO of Surehand. We are a technology startup focused on revolutionizing the way industrial employers and job candidates find each other.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We determined that our branding was ineffective during our initial incubation efforts and market research phase. We engaged modern8 to help us address our concerns and improve our brand positioning.

We relied on modern8 to develop a brand for our company, which also serves as the brand for our offering as well. They utilized a sound methodology to craft a new brand—complete with strategies for naming, determining a visual identity, building a style guide, and arranging the initial design of our collateral.

Peter (New Business Director & Brand Strategist, modern8) is our main point of contact, though we also work closely with Alysha (Managing Director, modern8).

How did you come to work with modern8?

We found modern8 on the Clutch website, and we weighed them against four other agencies. Compared to the other firms, modern8 brought a more transparent methodology to our interview. Because we focus on a unique workforce, I wanted a brand that didn’t look like every other tech brand in the Bay Area. Because modern8 is based in Salt Lake City, Utah, and had worked with a variety of clients from other industries, I felt they could provide a fresh look and approach from the onset.

We’ve spent between $25,000–$50,000.

Our engagement began in July 2018 and remains ongoing.

modern8 has given us our identity—one that reflects our mission and values. I can’t think of a more impactful thing to do to as an early-stage startup company than to work with modern8. We needed a brand that worked well for where we are today but also one we could see scaling up over the next 5–10 years. Not only did they give us an identity that can grow with us, but they helped us launch the beta version of our marketing website earlier this month.

The feedback we’re getting from those looking for work and those looking for talent has been overwhelmingly positive in terms of the strength of the brand. It’s memorable and unique. It serves us really well.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

I feel as if we are their only client, which is part of their focus methodology. A significant aspect of how they operate is picking and choosing their projects and clients in a way that allows them to continue to deliver on that service. They’ve done a great job of maintaining that white-glove client management approach as they’ve grown their business.

The value of their work for our money has been wonderful. We could have spent twice as much here in Silicon Valley, and we probably wouldn’t have received the kind of client access or client management support that we had throughout. The deliverables were comparable to anything I've ever received from larger, more expensive firms. The nature of the working relationship is always positive.

No, we have had a positive experience with them. They have become a natural extension of our team.

This was such a collaborative process. Future clients must be prepared to be involved. The more you put into it as a client, the more you’ll get out of it at the end. The nature of their process is so collaborative and intensive that their clients have to be ready to do some work. Their method is one that requires heavy engagement.

I don’t give out perfect marks very often, but they’ve earned it.

Branding & Design for Startup AI Insights Tool

"modern8 showed real passion in making sure our branding reflected our values as a company."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

After doing research and conducting interviews, modern8 developed a brand for a startup, including a logo, style guide, and a pitch deck.

Cory Linton
CEO, Edify.ai

The brand looks professional and represents the company’s excellence. modern8 goes above and beyond to produce high-quality products on time and under budget, while their experience and commitment to success make them a reliable partner.

I'm the CEO of Edify.ai. We're an AI software company.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We're a startup, and we're still defining what we're going to be, so we needed a vendor to help us with branding.

They did research and helped us develop a brand that represented who we are, but was broad enough to grow with us. They also developed brand guidelines and helped us build our pitch deck. We're going to start designing the user interface for our mobile apps soon, and we're planning to use modern8 for that as well.

We mostly work with Peter Stevenson (Brand Strategist, modern8).

How did you come to work with modern8?

I used modern8 in my last company, where they also helped us with branding. I had a great experience and liked the quality of their work, so I didn't hesitate to hire them for this project.

We've spent about $16,000.

We started working with them in August 2018, and the relationship is ongoing.

The fact that we have a strong brand sends a message to people that we're a great company, so people take us seriously.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

We talk to Peter every week. He’s very responsive, so we haven't had any issues. We use Asana for project management.

modern8 showed real passion in making sure our branding reflected our values as a company—and they took the time to make sure they nailed it. They put in the effort to get to the bottom of what they're designing to understand our company. Also, they're very experienced, so I can trust them.

No. I wouldn't change anything.

Let them do their job–they know what they're doing. They really insisted on doing the research and interviewing people to get the insight that we didn't have. That took some time, but it gave us a chance to look at our brand with a fresh set of eyes.

They delivered everything we asked of them within our timeframe.
    It was a great value.
    They're the best.

Design & Digital Marketing for Health Food Company

"Not only do we have results that far exceed our expectations, but it's truly a pleasure to work with them."

June 2015 - Ongoing

modern8 created the logo and packaging design for a new company. modern8 assumed the social media marketing account from another vendor and also coordinates the online photography and graphic design tasks.

Muffy Mead-Ferro
CEO, Nush Foods

modern8’s dutiful research and sound application fostered a healthy digital relationship with the appropriate audience. Engagement and sales are climbing as a result of the targeted approach and creative logo and packaging. modern8 features a fully accessible and professional team.

I am the CEO of Nush Foods. We produce a packaged snack food that is specifically marketed to people who are low-sugar, low-carb eaters.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

Initially, I hired modern8 to create the graphic identity for my company. I later hired them for social media marketing services, as well.

I relied on them for the logo and packaging design for my company and my products. Originally, I worked with a different firm for digital marketing, but they underperformed in that space, so I approached modern8 about that service. They have since devised a plan to spend our money more wisely in the digital world. I provide all of the advertising copy, but I ask them to create graphic design concepts and handle our photography needs. My company also sends a monthly newsletter to a growing subscriber base. Again, I handle the writing, and they make it visually appealing.

My team consists of Alysha, my account manager, and Jackson, a graphic designer. Overall, we usually work with 4-5 people from modern8 at any given time.

How did you come to work with modern8?

I have known the main designer at modern8, Randall, for decades, and I knew he was a competent graphic designer.

Our engagement began in June 2015 and is ongoing.

The identity they created has helped us stand out in the marketplace. We receive wonderful compliments about our design from customers, other people in our industry, and social media users. modern8 did a beautiful job of establishing the right feel and personality for our company.

From a social media standpoint, we had about 1,000 followers on Facebook, and even fewer on other platforms, prior to working with modern8. In the seven months that they have organized our social media direction, we now have more than 9,000 Facebook followers. Their role has been transformational. We only market our products online because we have such specific criteria for our target audience, and market8 has helped us identify those people and market directly to them. We have a high-quality and engaged group of followers—so much so that our sales tripled between June and July.

Our company is really taking off. I want to continue working with modern8. It’s my hope that they’ll go with us on this journey and keep growing.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

They couldn’t be easier to work with. They share all content through Asana, and we collaborate there. They are personable, responsive, and professional. It has been a truly enjoyable process. Very rarely do they make mistakes. And I know I can call, email, or text them at any time.

They have done an incredible job of learning our business. They have worked to understand our product and who our audience is so that they can make smart suggestions.

Take the time in the beginning to discuss the vision for your product and your business. They really listened and came to understand our mission, which was valuable in our engagement.

Overall Score Not only do we have results that far exceed our expectations, but it's truly a pleasure to work with them.
    They are flexible to changing schedules.
    They are very competitive in the local market.
    The identity work they completed truly established my company.
    I have already recommended them.

Branding for Seed & Plant Company

"In every aspect of the project, they want to make sure that they nail it, and that we feel like they nailed it."

Dec. 2017 - June 2018

Modern8 revitalized branding and messaging to better connect with customers and increase online sales. After an intensive discussion process, they developed an idea board and reworked a website’s UX.

Lehi, Utah
Rob Wendell
CEO, Nature's Seed

Mission and messaging exercised produced a sense of unity and pride and helped hone communication strategies. Modern8 was available when needed and took the necessary steps to ensure on-time delivery. They initiate high-level interactions with leadership and strive for excellence.

I’m the CEO of Nature’s Seed. We supply seed, grasses, shrubs, and wildflowers for reclamation, beautification, and revegetation projects. We mostly work with large contractors, energy companies, and the federal government, though our e-commerce site also provides those same products for homeowners and small landowners.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We really wanted to take a fresh look at our branding and our messaging for a couple of reasons. One, we didn't know if our existing messaging and branding was connecting with customers as optimally as it could. Secondly, we wanted to improve our conversion rate on our website.

They took us through a pretty comprehensive effort. Initially, they got into the weeds with us to really understand who we are, what we're trying to accomplish, what our products do, what our products say, and what our mission is. That included interviews with our team and several of our customers, past and present, to understand what we're trying to accomplish and say, versus what's actually happening with our customers. From there, they presented us with an idea board full of different branding options and avenues that we could go down. It was then filtered down to fewer and fewer choices until we arrived at a brand image and message that we thought best captured what we're trying to do with our customers.

It wasn't just a brand image or a packaging image relationship though. It also included a re-skin of our website, meaning taking our existing site and re-skinning it to fit that messaging and that imaging, including changes to the UX. This touched every part of the journey, from customers coming to our site to clicking all the way through and buying something.

Our primary contact was a brand strategist, but we also worked with a managing director.

How did you come to work with modern8?

I was referred to them by someone in my network who had worked with them. We interviewed them and two other firms in the Salt Lake area, and we felt like they were the best fit. I wasn't interested in a larger, full-service marketing agency or ad agency. I really wanted someone who was very focused on branding, messaging, and website UX.

We started in December 2017, and we’re wrapping up this month, June 2018.

The results, in a large part, remain to be seen, because the work is about eventually driving more sales, traffic, and conversions on our site, as well as what kind of recurring business we may or may not get. So that's to be determined. But, I can say that they've helped us think about our own business tremendously and think about who we are, what we're really doing here, and what we're trying to communicate to the world.

That process is extremely helpful and has brought our team a lot closer. It’s made us more focused, for sure. It also has made us – as we've now spent time with professional, modern aid – prouder of who we are and more focused about what we're doing every day. That’s more of an intangible.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

This isn’t the first time I've used third parties for various projects, and I've found modern8 to be extremely professional and capable. The communication has been really clear and consistent, as have been their follow-ups. They've kept us on track and I never have to call and ask them what's going on. They've always been proactive about making sure that we hit whatever deadlines or objectives we have. The level of interaction and service has been outstanding.

Initially, our contact was very frequent, at multiple times a week, be that on the phone, by email, or in-person. As the process evolved over six months, we’ve had at least a weekly contact. One way or the other, we're interacting with their team.

I don't have a lot of experience with branding agencies or ad agencies, but I would say that the two things that stand out are that we're interacting with the experienced, key people at their agency, and that they never settle. Once we signed up with them, we didn't get passed on to somebody else. Sometimes, with these projects, you start with the partner or managing partner or director, but then they disappear. That's not the case here. We've had high-level interactions competence from day one. In these types of projects, there are many times where you could say something was good enough to move on. In every aspect of the project, they want to make sure that they nail it, and that we feel like they nailed it. They're very thorough on all details and in all aspects.

I really can't think of anything about which I would say they should have done something different or better. They've certainly exceeded all my expectations.

Make sure that you're committed to a real process. Don't go halfway. If you really want to figure out what your branding is and what your messaging is, and how you want to be operating and communicating with your customers, then go all in and do it. It's not a project to take lightly or to go halfway or partly into the pool on. Go all in on it, because it’s intense. It only works if it's intense. It only works if you're willing to make the full investment.

Branding, Ad, & Web Dev for Industrial Concrete Company

"[W]e have never had a reason to go elsewhere."

Jan. 1995 - Ongoing

Modern8 has worked with a construction company for over 20 years on rebranding their logo, advertising campaigns, website redesign, and more. The team continues to handle branding activities for the company.

Brigham City, Utah
Mike Bradshaw
President, Associated Brigham Contractors

Modern8’s creativity and responsiveness have helped this partnership flourish since 1995. Clients have responded positively to website redesigns, and the team’s work has helped grow brand recognition across the country.

I am the president of Associated Brigham Contractors. We are a national industrial concrete company based out of Brigham City, Utah.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We work with modern8 to grow our brand recognition. People think of us as a small company, but we are a nationwide operation, so we want to get the word out about who we are to new customers.

We’ve had a long-term relationship with them since the 1990s when they rebranded our logo and created a brochure about the company. Since then, they have re-designed our website multiple times, run print advertisements, and handled a variety of other projects. One of the largest endeavors they took on for us was creating a hardbound book over a year and a half that showed our envisioned future for the company. We are also getting ready to work on SEO, and they have presented us some ideas in that area.

We directly contact our project manager regardless of what the project might be. She has been intimately involved with what we do for years.

How did you come to work with modern8?

Back in the 1990s we did a web search and found several companies in Salt Lake City. We were really looking for a professional agency that would reflect us at a high level and ended up interviewing three different firms. We felt we had the best fit with modern8 and we have never had a reason to go elsewhere.

We have worked with them since 1995, and continue to do so.

We are a very specialized company and are only sometimes looking for new business. I have found that when we contact potential clients around the United States they have already heard of us and been on our website. People are able to see the size and complexity of our work on the website, and they are very impressed with both the site and the things we do.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

The modern8 team is great at communication and is very responsive. I imagine that we can be a bit of a difficult client because we tend to revisit a lot of things and decide to go in a lot of different directions, but they always change paths with us when we ask them to. They respond to our communications, and we never have to push them for project updates. We talk mostly over email, but we will also have in-person meetings as needed.

Their continuity has been a big thing for us. They have really developed a good understanding of who we are and what we do, and it has made them very intuitive. When we come to them with a new project idea they know us so well that they already recognize the direction to start heading in. When we first started with them they didn’t know anything about our type of construction, but they learned quickly. Since then we have been able to work them very closely, and they know how to tailor projects specifically for us.

No. We have always been very happy with them. Whenever they can’t do something for us they point us to the people who can. They have never disappointed us.

I would say it’s always valuable to meet in person. When we start a new project we will send two or three different people from our team to meet with modern8 so they have a wider understanding of what we are looking for. This way they aren’t getting just one point of view, but have information from a wide variety of people on things relevant to the project. This has worked really well for us and would be smart for other companies to do as well.

Overall Score They are our go to team for anything that has to do with branding.
    If anything, they push us to stay on schedule and we hold them back.
    Their creative talent makes them well worth the cost.
    They are very responsive and help us get exactly what we want.
    I recommend them all the time.

Rebranding Strategy for Quality Management Software Company

“modern8 brought their heart and soul into the process. … They're phenomenal at what they do.”

Dec. 2015 - Apr. 2016

Spearheading a rebranding campaign, modern8 performed a competitive analysis, created a new logo/name, and designed the brand look and feel.

Michelle Suzuki
CMO, RizePoint

The business has been expanding and the new look makes the brand stand out among competitors. Innovative and creative, they suggested a unique logo design that reflects the core values of the company, while their small-agency approach helped them establish a smooth and easy process.

I'm the CMO at RizePoint. We create software that helps organizations stay compliant with their brand standards and with other guidelines, such as health department codes or room quality standards.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We were rebranding our company, so we were looking for a vendor to help us with our rebranding efforts.

They did a basic analysis of our industry and our competitors. Then, they helped us come up with a name, develop our logo and messaging, and create the look and feel for our new brand.

We mostly worked with Randall [Smith, Founder, modern8] and Alysha [Smith, Designer, modern8].

How did you come to work with them?

Our CEO worked with them on a rebranding campaign for his previous company and he had a very good experience. We also did a review of a few local and national agencies. We felt that modern8 was the best fit because they were local and had the expertise that we needed.

We started working with them in December 2015 and the project was completed in April 2016.

The launch went very smoothly and we’ve only heard positive feedback about our brand. Orange color helps us stand out among our competitors, who are using primarily shades of blue. After reframing our product, we've been very successful. They definitely get credit for the growth of our company.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They did an excellent job. Everything went smoothly and we usually stayed in touch via email.

Randall has a unique point of view. He came up with an idea to add a little icon to our logo, which we call "the spark". That little piece of our logo really informs our customers of who we are as a company–the spark of innovation, the spark of hard work, the spark of grit. Some other agencies would just make a logo, but modern8 brought their heart and soul into the process.

They don't use any project management software. I liked having email correspondence with their team, but sometimes I would have loved to use Basecamp or another tool to see exactly where the project was, especially when I was working late or had to prepare for a board meeting.

Commit yourself to the process and give them a lot of different perspectives to consider. Randall is very innovative and does a wonderful job, but you need to be prepared to do work on your end as well.

Overall Score They're supportive and approachable. They're a great team to work with.
    They're very focused and responsive. They have a small team, but they also have a small number of clients they're trying to juggle.
    They know their value. They're not the least expensive, but they are likely the most valuable.
    They follow an effective rebranding methodology.
    I'd definitely recommend them. They're phenomenal at what they do.

Packaging Redesign for Chocolate Company

“The reception has been amazing—our sales doubled within the first year of the redesign.”

June 2015 - Ongoing

Modern8's team redesigned branding materials and packaging for a product line. They also provide marketing collateral and designs for periphery products as needed.

Denver, Colorado
Anna Davies
Founder, Ritual Chocolate

The redesign helped products stand out on store shelves, doubling sales in the first year. Their team provides unbeatable customer service, responding quickly and making iterations requested without hesitation. They listen and take a genuine interest in the project.

I'm one of the owners and founders of Ritual Chocolate, a bean-to-bar chocolate company based out of Park City, Utah.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

After being in business for about five years, we wanted to redesign our brand to better reflect our product, its backstory, and our values. We wanted it to include visual elements of our location, including the mountains and the natural hues of Utah, while also feeling modern. The redesign would include packaging of chocolate bars, some merchandise, and marketing collateral.

Modern8's team originally took on our whole chocolate bar line, redesigning the packaging for about eight different bars. Their team read through our company manifesto, collaborating closely with us to ensure the brand moved in the right direction and providing multiple options for us to iterate on. The new packaging template is now used for any new bars we develop. They also designed periphery products and marketing materials as needed.

Our main contacts were Alysha Smith [Managing Director, modern8] and Randall Smith [Designer and Brand Strategist, modern8].

How did you come to work with modern8?

We had reached out to quite a few design firms in the Salt Lake area. After meeting with modern8, we felt they were a good fit to take on the redesign. We got the feeling that modern8's team was not only genuinely excited to work with us, but would be a great design firm to grow with as our company evolved and moved into new products.

We have spent a sizeable amount so far with them.

We've been working together since June 2016.

We set a high bar for the new design of our product line and modern8 delivered above and beyond our expectations. modern8's designs helped our bars stand out on the shelves, while effectively telling our story in a way that's both visually interesting and informative. The reception has been amazing—our sales doubled within the first year of the redesign.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been very responsive to emails and phone calls. Since we're local, it's easy for us to meet face-to-face as well.

The designers carefully answered questioned and took the time to understand our needs and the story of our company. They provided several rounds of designs and made any changes we requested quickly and without hesitation.

We're probably modern8's smallest client, but we've been really impressed by their ability to be so attentive and responsive to us. They've always come across as having a genuine interest and passion for the work. They really listened to us from the start.

Their team put together great mood boards, read through our large company manifesto, and diligently worked to distill all the elements of our brand into an effective design. Their attention to detail in that way is incredibly effective.

No, they've been so helpful in every way.

Take the time to work closely with designers, providing as much clarity of your vision and the elements you want to incorporate into your brand as possible. Discover what inspires you, write everything out, create mood boards, and provide them with as much information as you can.

Overall Score From the design work to the way they communicated, working with modern8 has been an incredible experience.
    Their team met all deadlines and helped us establish realistic goals for releasing our products.
    As perhaps their smallest client, we've been incredibly impressed with what they've been able to do for us given the investment.
    When it comes to translating our ideas into design, their team went above and beyond.
    We're proud of their work, so we recommend them all the time.

Web Design & Branding for Venture Capital Firm

“They’re innovative and have a good aesthetic and style, especially when helping with content.”

May - Nov. 2014

When a venture capital firm wished to update their branding and website, modern8 designed a new logo and provided guidance for online content and messaging to better represent the business.

Utah
Business Director, Venture Capital Firm

The website is well-received by the public and appreciated by the company members. modern8 was responsive and kept the process moving. They researched exterior perception, matched it with company goals and provided market-driven content.

I am one of the managing directors of a venture capital firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We wanted to develop a new brand and website around our name. We wanted something more updated and contemporary to give a better representation of our business.

They helped develop our logo and provided overall guidance on website content and messaging. They worked in conjunction with a web developer to help us pull it all together.

We primarily interacted with Alysha Smith [Manager, modern8] and Randall Smith [Designer & Brand Strategist, modern8].

How did you come to work with modern8?

We talked to a few different firms, and liked what they had to offer. We spoke with other clients they worked with and felt they would be a good fit.

We spent around $50,000.

We started working on the project early in 2014, probably around May. It took about four or five months, and we finished later that same year.

We haven’t measured growth related to the change, but we do get a lot of compliments on our site, and we’re very happy with it.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

We were also very happy on that front. They responded very well and were helpful in keeping the process moving. We interacted mostly through phone conversations and face-to-face meetings.

They’re innovative and have a good aesthetic and style, especially when helping with content. They do thorough research on who we work with, and talk with them to get a sense of how we’re perceived. They put that together with our goals to come up with the overall messaging, branding, and content that we settled on.

Nothing comes to mind.

Take full advantage of their talent and the opportunities they provide. They do a lot of customer research and come up with market-driven content. I would certainly recommend them to others and have already done so.

Overall Score They’re a pleasure to work with and very amenable to suggestions. We’re pleased with the end result.
    I don’t recall any problems involving the schedule. They did a great job keeping the process moving.
    They seem economical and we didn’t feel like we were overpaying.
    Their overall quality of work was high and very thorough.

Brand & Re-Design for Cloud-Based SaaS Solutions Company

“I can say for sure that we would not have had 10x growth if we hadn't worked with modern8.”

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

modern8 led a rebranding effort for a SaaS company, including a new name, logo, and website. Further efforts focused on brand positioning, strategy, and video production.

South Jordan, Utah
Dave Taylor
CMO, Impartner

The new brand successfully conveys the core message of the company, while standing out in a crowded market. modern8’s professionalism, prompt delivery, and impressive value for the money continue to inspire trust.

My name is Dave Taylor and I'm the chief marketing officer at Impartner. We provide Software-as-a-service solutions for partner relationship management.

What challenge were you trying to address with modern8?

We purchased Impartner a few years ago when it was under a different name and brand. It needed a total repositioning in the market: a new identity that would launch us as a very fresh, contemporary brand.

They helped us come up with the company’s new name, logo, and website. They looked through the list of competitors to make sure the new brand identity stands out in the market. We wanted a name that reflected partnership since our work is with indirect sales partners, and they helped us come up with Impartner. Additional deliverables included messaging and brand strategy.

We’ve also used modern8 for several video products. For example, they created a bumper video for us to use at our annual customer conference.

Our main point of contact is a senior project manager and a team of 2-3 designers that work on our account.

How did you come to work with modern8?

I asked colleagues for suggestions of local agencies in Salt Lake City and put together a list of 10-12 to consider. I eliminated half of the list based on phone calls and invited 5-6 agencies to pitch us in person.

The owner of modern8 came to that initial meeting, which was very impressive. One of the reasons that we liked modern8 was they were big enough to handle our business but small enough to have their top executive involved.

The decision came down to modern8 and one other agency. When I called the other agency, I couldn’t get a hold of anyone. modern8 got back to me right away, even ducking out of a conference to return my call. That level of responsiveness made the decision easy.

We’ve spent between $60,000-$80,000.

Work began in April of 2015 and is ongoing. They're producing another video for us right now.

We’ve had 10x growth over the last 2.5 years. While it's impossible to say exactly how much of the growth is due to the new logo and rebranding, I can say for sure that we would not have had 10x growth if we hadn't worked with modern8.

I'm extremely happy with their work. Web and design work normally has a short lifespan, but we’re still using 90% of what they created. The rebrand really established the identity of the company. The messaging they created is more professional than a lot of the smaller companies in the market.

How did modern8 perform from a project management standpoint?

They are always responsive and get back to us very quickly. We have a good relationship with our project manager; everything has been spot on.

They have a really fundamentally sound process for their creative and design work. The work we get from them is very high quality, but also really targeted at our core business.

Having them be super responsive is the icing on the cake. We asked them at the very last minute to create the video for our annual customer conference. It wasn’t in the work plan or budget, but they took it on and completed the video in time to go live at the event.

I hope they continue to grow the business. It could be an issue for us if they stay as small as they are now. Our business is growing; we've already outgrown our PR agency and an ad agency. We're still working with modern8 because so far they've been able to keep up with us.

If you’re considering various agencies, make sure to ask modern8 for a proposal because they will win you over through their designs and creative work.

Never missed a deadline.
    It's always been very reasonable
    Very high-quality creative work, designs, and presentation.
    They might be too small for a large corporation.