Website and App Design and Development

Mobomo is a premier website and mobile application design and development agency. We have extensive experience in creating functional, large-scale, engaging mobile and responsive designs. Our process helps to uncover the characteristics of your users by learning about their needs, wants, and limitations.

We design and develop our products to abide by 508, HIPAA, COPPA compliance regulations.

Capabilities: Ruby on Rails, UX/UI Design, Data Visualization, AngularJS, Node.js, Backbone.js

Services | Our Process

Discover: We absorb and research all the critical details and requirements of your application and find exactly where Mobomo can help. From complex data & back-end code, to visual design & front-end support. We do it all.

Build: Our data and research guides us in building the best application that satisfies your requirements and fulfills your user’s needs. Using contemporary, industry-standard technologies, Intridea delivers a product that lasts.

Learn: Applications need continuous iteration, maintenance & upgrades. We make that painless.

Want to learn more? Check out our services page!

2007
Vienna, VA
  • Mobomo
    1608 Spring Hill Road Suite 120,
    Vienna, VA 22182
    888.676.1049

ADP, NASA, the United States Navy, USGS, Gallup, USO, PockitShip, Pulse, Vested, The World Bank, Bozzuto, Pacify, ThreadRobe, Real Time Cases, Coester, Just Seen.

The World Bank

World Bank which is headquartered in Washington,D.C., reached out to Mobomo in 2014 in hopes of creating an app that would allow people to find locations where they can send money to a different country at the touch of a fingertip. We created Pick Remit which is an API driven application that users can search for remittance prices based on users’ location. We were able to create a dashboard for firms so that they could load and push data out to the users. We also developed the option to integrate firms’ APIs to automatically get their information without the need of manual input.

Bozzuto

Bozzuto reached out and was in the need of tech consulting. Since they manage numerous properties on a high level, property managers are required to produce packages each month that consist of items such as accounting documents, tax files, and other paperwork relevant to that particular property. Internal resources were spending time gathering these files and sending items to each location, and as a result Bozzuto felt they were using valuable resources to do something that could be automated.

NASA

In 2013, our team migrated www.NASA.gov —a site with over 250,000+ pages, 1.4 million assets, and 3 TBs of data—from a proprietary data center and content management system (CMS) to Amazon Cloud and Drupal 7 without downtime or service interruption. This was a colossal task: Mobomo completed the entire effort in just 13 weeks. The results were so colossal, in fact, that www.NASA.goveven won a highly coveted Webby Award.

Mobomo has architected the www.NASA.gov Drupal 7 AWS cloud environment with security, performance, and availability in mind. It is architected in a fashion that separates the content management system from the public website infrastructure to provide maximum security. It is deployed in multiple AWS availability zones for redundancy, handles over 250 content editors performing over 1,000 content updates...

USO

USO was seeking to design, develop, and deploy a cross-platform mobile application that introduces an additional channel for United States military service members and their families to better engage with USO centers and programs. Specifically, this mobile application will foster greater discoverability of locations where USO provides services and programs offered by the USO through its distributed locations and online.

This mobile application launched in the spring of 2017 as part of a series of deployments on a fixed schedule starting with a limited beta release to 15 USO centers.

Pulse Healthcare

Pulse is a healthcare platform that focuses on joint replacement recovery. This platform helps to connect patients and their doctors. The patient uses the app while the provider uses a dashboard. Providers guide their patients activity through the app so that patients can keeps their doctors up-to-date on their recovery at the touch of a fingertip.

Vested.org

Vested.org, powered by the Calvert Foundation, is an online platform where individuals can invest as little as $20 in the causes and places that matter to them.

HumanProgress.org

The Cato Institute is among the nation's most well-respected public policy think tanks. One of the Cato Institute's initiatives is to help stimulate intelligent debate on the drivers of human progress.

American Bible Society

With their javascript API generating billions of records every year, ABS needed help making sense of their data. We partnered with ABS to create ScriptureAnalytics.com, a site that gives insights into their vast collection of data.

SocialCode

SocialCode empowers hundreds of companies to realize the power of social marketing on Facebook and Twitter, using complex algorithms. They approached Intridea to develop a set of tools that would enable ad managers to consume and relay information to clients from these massive data sets.

Amazon Mechanical Turk

The mTurk team at Amazon knew they already had a revolutionary product but wanted to rework the architecture and interface to make it more intuitive for their users. They came to Intridea to help them optimize the user experience for both new and existing users in the system.

National Fish & Wildlife Foundation

Combining a beautiful user interface, smart-synching backend tech, and a flexible web-based content editor, the system we built for the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation raises awareness of exciting new conservation efforts.

Modernized Financial Calculator for NGO

"The team is responsive to all inquiries, questions, and concerns."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Mobomo redeveloped a complex asset & budget calculator. They focused on basic requirements for an initial launch, and continue enhancing the solution's core features.

Amber Oar
Program Analyst, Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments

Mobomo is highly qualified and very responsive. Their efforts drastically improved the solution's security, UX, and efficiency. While original estimates were inaccurate, the project team found ways to rectify the scope before delivery.

I’m an analyst for a non-profit organization based in D.C. We conduct high-level strategic and budgetary analysis related to Department of Defense issues for a variety of organizations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mobomo?

We had an application that evolved from an access database to an online version that organizations used to make asset tradeoffs under budget constraints over a 10-year period. The tool suffered from deficiencies on the administrator (data-input) and user side of the application.

Each exercise we ran in the application required a new database to be built by our staff. The tool did not provide any "smart" calculations, such as unit and currency conversions. All of the data had to be manually calculated in multiple excel spreadsheets and manually input to the administrator side of the tool for each exercise. Each exercise consists of around 1,000+ options, so each major modification required a significant amount of labor. The first goal of the new tool was to enable formula models to calculate costs of assets in the tool, to reduce the amount of time needed to build a unique database.

The second issue, on the user side, focused on the user experience. The old tool did not have assets logically grouped, but rather displayed in an alphabetized list. It also did not offer easy navigation between different groups of assets or any data analytics to illustrate the user’s selections.

The tool was developed by another company originally, and Mobomo inherited that technology. Given the scope of the changes, we did not use any of the old code and embarked on a complete rewrite of the application. Mobomo was in charge of the entire development process, from the user side, the administrator side, the database architecture, and application security testing. The work involved over 200 requirements over an 8-month timeframe to build a custom application.

The project was divided into three releases. Mobomo completed release 1, and we successfully used the new version in a live exercise. Version 1 features basic functionality with a new database and significantly updated user and administration front ends.

The tool has a user side and an administrator side. The user side featured significant improvements in logical grouping of assets, dynamic charts, and asset tracking. The administrator side is the most complex because of the formula models, calculations, and business rules that are needed to price and create relationships between assets on the user side. One of the most complexfeatures of the new tool is the implantation of formula models. We need these models to estimatethe cost of assets in the tool over a 10-year period. Before, we had been doing that in Excel andmanually typing it into our old tool, which took significant labor hours to complete. The new toolallows for the selection of multiple formula models to satisfy a particular use case, which willautomatically calculate the assets costs.

The team is very responsive to all inquiries, questions, and concerns. Mobomo has a full interdisciplinary team. The team consists of 4 developers, a technical architect, a program manager, and 2 frontend UX designers.

I have weekly meetings with the team to receive status updates on the project. I speak almost daily with the Mobomo project manager to relay any questions, comments, or testing feedback. Initially, Mobomo underestimated the complexity of the work. About 4-6 weeks into the project, I voiced my concern to Mobomo about exceeding the original cost and schedule estimates. They added another pair of developers to the effort within a week, in order to get the project back on track at no additional cost to us.

How did you come to work with Mobomo?

We did basic web research to find IT companies in the area. We sent the initial request for proposals to five companies, and three submitted proposals. We asked for written proposals that would be followed up with interviews, if needed.

Based on the written proposal alone, Mobomo stood out. We had an in-person interview to gain additional clarification on the proposal and then we made the selection. We wanted to use an Agile methodology for the project. The RFP contained over 200 requirements written as user stories and additional documentation to allow for the companies to estimate the scale of the project. The Mobomo proposal estimated the time associated with completing each requirement. Although their initial estimates were incorrect, their responsiveness to completing the work has led to a positive experience. They offered a full interdisciplinary team with security testing included, which also made their proposal stand out.

We started working together February 2017 and the work is ongoing. We expect to complete theproject by January of 2018.

Overall, the new tool is making a very positive impact for both our organization and the groups that will be using the application. On the admin side, the capabilities deployed thus far reduce the labor hours needed to build a new data set by at least 50%. The reduced time to develop a database opens the possibility of conducting more exercises in the future.

Currently, we are considering building five databases over a three-month time frame, which would have not been possible with the old tool. The feedback on the user front end, from the one exercise we have conducted, was very positive.

How did Mobomo perform from a project management standpoint?

The management of the project has been executed very well. The team is using different apps and communication methods, including JIRA, Slack, and Basecamp, to keep everyone informed. JIRA, the requirements tracking tool, is updated frequently and I often use it to reprioritize the requirements. The team is very responsive to any of my questions, which are typically answered within the hour. We agreed upon a process for testing and closing out requirements, which has led to a very smooth process. As mentioned previously, the team was very responsive to my early cost and schedule concern.

The one area they can improve upon is schedule estimation, which was significantly underestimated for our effort. Estimating an IT project, especially one with 200 requirements, is very difficult, so I understand the difficulty involved.

Any recommendations you could recommend to someone less experienced if they want to hire a company like Mobomo?

The main priority should be having a firm understanding of the requirements for the system/application. We had over 200 pages of requirements, including test criteria and other documentation to provide a clear picture of our current and future system. This helps both sides understand the full scope of the effort.

After hiring an IT development company, early testing and frequent communication is vital. I am testing every day to ensure that I have not missed any bugs and that new functionality is working correctly. Typically, I provide feedback on all requirements within 24 hours of testing. You really need a product expert empowered to make decisions during the development process.When we started the project, my organization decided that I would be that person and that has resulted in quick feedback.

Having a constant communication line open is very important, because in IT, one problem can cause a massive ripple effect. Delay in feedback on one problem could delay the team by weeks, potentially, if it’s a large problem. I speak with the technical architect and/or the Mobomo project manager multiple times a week to explain the requirements, offer feedback, or ask questions. We all make ourselves available so that we can work together to produce a high-quality product.

Due to the initial schedule underestimation.

Site Redevelopment for Financial Advisory Firm

“When someone tells me they need a website ... I always mention Mobomo.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Mobomo is replacing an old Weebly site with a completely redesigned one. The new website is being built with the express purpose of creating a better UX and appealing more favorably to new business.

Washington DC Metro Area
Founder

The success of digital projects hinges on expert intuition, courageous innovation, and diverse skills. Mobomo has mastered all of these and remains a diligent player in the progress of this effort.

I'm the founder of my financial advisory firm. I used to work for Mobomo years ago, and I’m one of their shareholders. I stopped working day to day for Mobomo about 6-7 years ago, and worked at our sister company, Altum, for the last 20 years. Eventually, I founded my firm in January 2017 as a way to use my small business experience at Mobomo and Altum, along with my own public accounting firm priorly.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mobomo?

I needed to get a website going for my fledgling firm but couldn't do it myself. My unique background in this scenario meant I was already aware of Mobomo's relevant offerings.

Mobomo is currently drafting my website, and they also did my logo. I tried to do the logo myself, and I liked it, but after I showed it to Brian [CEO, Mobomo], he sent it to their Buenos Aires design team and they came back with a better one.

They’ve got a lot of great contracts with NASA, Navy, Gallup, and Mars, which are all well-known companies or government entities. Customer service is on the forefront for them, which will make them even more competitive as they grow, because I don’t often experience that.

They scrapped the Weebly website I had, which was only one page with a couple photos. When they come up with a plan, they show you different sites with content, artwork, and even icons, which are especially appealing right now. The previous didn’t have people sitting around and poring over it.

Unlike the older site, which had limited content, if someone wants to research my background using the newer website, they’ll have access to detailed bio and reference information. There will also be new case studies and client testimonials. I only had one quote on the old site from one of my former partners but on the newer one, it’ll have a whole slew of new customers listed.

They went so far as having a photographer take new professional headshots, which turned out terrific. The new website will be launched in the next two weeks, but it’s not quite ready yet. They’ve done most of the preparation work already, but it’s delayed on my part because I have to write the case studies myself and I haven’t had time yet.

What was the team dynamic?

I’ve worked with a variety of different people on Mobomo’s design team, including Emily [Director of Marketing and Communication, Mobomo] and Brian [CEO, Mobomo]. There were two designers, including Gerardo [Creative Director, Mobomo] and Nila [Designer, Mobomo]. Interactions were mostly based on the skill set required.

How did you come to work with Mobomo?

I contacted them pretty casually about getting a website going. When they estimated the project, I was hesitant because launching the business was still in its early days and I didn’t know if it would generate any revenue. The Weebly site was already in place by the time I began working with Mobomo and they gradually worked with me to build the newer one.

We started working with them in April 2017, and it is ongoing.

Every few days they update me on the status of assigned tasks. They’ll get my opinion on drafts of new pictures they’ve pooled and color scheme changes. I’m fairly selective when it comes to visual design.

At Altum, we had a similar situation wherein we needed someone to redo the website. Mobomo is definitely more customer focused than the one we used in that former scenario. Instead of having one meeting wherein everything that was already done was presented in one extravagantly, Mobomo chose to work with us directly and iterate.

The process is far more collaborative and based on back-and-forth dialog. It's completely different from the process used with Altum. The designer responsible for Altum's site would bring the deliverables and leave us stuck with what she came up with; there was no room for adjustment. Mobomo's designers instead brainstormed with us and came to the table with different options. We'd discuss them and agree to move in one direction or another. My input really mattered with Mobomo.

How did Mobomo perform from a project management standpoint?

The process was pretty smooth, and it was great working with them because they have specialists readily available. We communicate in person, through the phone, Skype, and by email. Most of their design team is based in Buenos Aires. Those guys use Hangouts, Slack, etc., to communicate with us. They've done a fantastic job, and always got work done on time and met their targets.

What did you find most impressive about Mobomo?

They're cutting edge. I network a lot, and when someone tells me they need a website or they’re trying to look at some cloud stuff, I always mention Mobomo. They’re always staying on top of current trends and experimenting with new things.They have especially talented people working for them and many are tech oriented.

Are there any areas Mobomo could improve?

I don’t have any constructive criticism to share. The only thing to possibly say is that would be cool is if the Buenos Aires team were more local so we could all sit in the room and look at the white board together. Then, we could look at different examples together even more seamlessly, but that’s not feasible in this world with the global economy we have.

Overall Score If I were to evaluate my company, Altum, on their website, I’m not sure I would have the same ratings. I’m honest and slightly brutal, and the fact that Mobomo has gotten all 5’s is indicative of how strong they are in the marketplace.
    Definitely.
    I do it all the time.

Enterprise Grade iOS Dev for Nonprofit

"They were equal partners in the success of this app."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Mobomo developed a turnkey cross-platform app for military service members to easily utilize nearby nonprofit centers. Key features facilitate check-in, communication, info-sharing, and GPS.

Former Director, Technology Innovation

Mobomo is dedicated to transparency and responsive to feedback. They are accommodating and scalable, efficiently developing 24 hours a day at times and having reliable communication across time zones. They excel in productive collaboration and the app is on track to see 5 million check-ins per year.

We are a non-profit organization serving the U.S. military and their families. We provide service members with connections back to their family, home, and country throughout the processes of joining, deployment, assignments, and returning. I was the director of technology innovation when we worked with Mobomo.

We were building a mobile app to provide service members the ability to check into our centers which we have around the world. The app would also help find those centers, provide feedback to them, and then encourage service members to explore and consume the different types of programs that we offer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mobomo?

Mobomo was brought in to help build this app for us. The app didn’t exist before starting our relationship with them, apart from screens. I had made some sort of clickable wireframes using different prototyping tools, but no actual code was written. Throughout 2016, I spent a number of months doing discovery sessions with our staff and visiting centers, speaking with some of our constituents just to get an idea of initial requirements. But, I would say that we were largely starting from zero.

I worked very closely with them. I was essentially the product owner, and I was very clear and upfront with Mobomo that I wanted to be very involved. This was not something where we just wanted them to go off, spend a couple of months, build an app, and come back. I was actually asking them to be transparent to the point where it might be uncomfortable, because often in those relationships, you want to put a little bit of a wall between you and your client just to make sure that they don’t see all the internal machinations. I really pressured Mobomo to open things up and allow me to be part of it, because this was a very important initiative for the organization. They were really great about that.

As much as that might have made them uncomfortable—and I think in their shoes I would’ve felt that way as well—they were incredibly collaborative. They worked with me to set up access to all the different tools that they were using to track development, as well as different collaboration portals so that we could have real-time communication. We also had various meetings each week, whether it was sprint planning, briefing the weekly test cases, or the general check-in and progress update.

They also facilitated all of the different design meetings that we had. We did some customer interviews, focus groups, and surveys, and then built out a whole persona and user journey, including user flows and all of these different pieces. They facilitated every piece of that, and then through mockups and wireframes, we were able to do different design reviews. I think what we got out of that was a really great design and a very clear understanding of what the specific user stories were. We could then move forward in trying to address those user stories through the app and know what key pieces needed to be there.

What were critical features in the app?

We questioned whether we needed an app or a mobile responsive website, but we already have a mobile responsive website. We have 200 locations around the world. Historically, the way it would work is you would walk into a center, be greeted by a volunteer, and you would come and sign your name and give your biographical data and the reason you’re there.

You would have this whole line of people behind you, and at the end of the day, some volunteer is going in and typing that information into an Excel spreadsheet. Then they’re sending that Excel spreadsheet to a regional level to be combined with 40 other spreadsheets before combing at the national level. Our app would eliminate this, making it really easy for people to check in. Through the app, they wouldn’t have to tell us who they are every time. Then all of this data can be pulled together on a backend in real time. Before, this had been done quarterly at best.

That was the key thing: having a user create a profile, knowing what center they’re at, and allowing them to select the services they’re there for. Easing this process for service members and then automating all of the data aggregation—that was the key functionality.

Were there any features built afterwards?

There are a couple other pieces of the app itself that they built as well. In addition to being able to check in, you’re able to use your position in the world to find locations of centers near you. That way, you could explore them, understand what events are occurring there, what programs they offer, where they are, and then email that info, find their Facebook page, call them, and use your phone to navigate to it. You can actually just open up the app and use whatever native maps application you have on your phone and add the center as a favorite, so you can always track and know the latest info about what’s being offered at that location. Then, more broadly, you could explore programs around the world. Not every program that we offer to service members and their families are provided at every center, but they’re provided at different locations and some are even provided virtually.

How many resources were assigned to your project?

There were 6 people, including 2 developers, a designer, a tester, infrastructure, and a project manager. There were a couple moments close to launch when they brought in a few other players to help with the infrastructure tuning and optimizing. There were also times where we were sprinting to the finish line, and they were able to leverage developers in different locations in order to be developing 24 hours a day. That was really cool because they have some developers in India, some in Argentina, and then some here in D.C.

Did you ever have a situation where you didn’t have access to the resources you needed?

That was never an issue at all. We had to be respectful of different time zones of course, so I can’t ask the developer in India a question at 11 a.m. my time. But apart from that, we always had the right people on the team.

At one point, one of their team members left the company for reasons unrelated to my project. Momobo was immediately able to bring in someone else who was very capable and picked things up without any issues.

We did have an infrastructure issue during late testing stages, and they pulled some people in and worked weekends for a bit. They were even willing to give some of that to us for free, because they realized that there were things they could’ve done differently. They wanted to make sure we had a good outcome and that we were happy. They were equal partners in success of this app.

What are the data integrations for the app?

We challenged them with creating an app that was very lightweight and that relied on data to be resident elsewhere. We had 2 locations that are the respective primary sources of truth. We actually have a custom Ruby on Rails CMS built and managed by a group called Threespot, a D.C. agency. It’s actually multiple CMS instances, 60 of them in total, and each of them have specific biographical data about our locations, like the address, the type of location, the hours of operation, Facebook, email, phone number, etc.

That information is all resident there, and it was important that Mobomo was able to pull that into the app so that users could see the location, understand the location information, and ultimately be able to find that location and check into it. Then, the app also serves as a bridge between our custom CMS and our Salesforce instance, which stores each user’s data, like biographical information, consumption habits, and which services or programs they’re checking into. The app is pulling and pushing info from both data aggregations.

They worked with 2 different vendors, which I think is really great, that all 3 of them have these working relationships, as opposed to competing. Mobomo navigated that very well, as did the other 2 groups.

How did you come to work with Mobomo?

I’m pretty sure that I found them through Clutch. We had some recommendations from our board as well as some vendors that we have on contract that would’ve loved to help us with app development. Then I just started searching on Google. I was looking for digital agencies in the D.C. area that were very design-forward. Knowing what I know about the mobile app space and how competitive it is, it’s really hard to rise above the noise. I wanted people who were going to be thoughtful about user experience, design, and just the overall experience of what that app is going to be. After looking around, I think I happened upon Clutch and found them. That’s what actually got me to their website.

We did send out RFPs. Since this would be our organization’s first time building a mobile app, we wanted to actually get some input from out there in the world and see what people were thinking about. We had 12 different groups that we invited to respond, and we narrowed that down to 6 and asked them to send us a quote. Mobomo was the winner there.

Price is always a factor, but we didn’t just go for the lowest price; we were looking for the best value. That said, Mobomo was very competitive.

What really made them stick out to us was their experience with groups that we thought were really relevant to us. They built an app for the U.S. Navy and we really liked that they were tied into government and military. They also had a great process for how they approach app development. They spent a lot of time talking about how they were going to approach this from the user experience and the design first. Some of the other groups that we spoke with were more about system engineering or data integration. I really appreciated that they were focused on this more holistically as a beautiful product. We didn’t want to gold-plate or over-engineer a solution just for the sake of creating something massive that would require work year after year.

How much have you invested with Mobomo?

They came in under budget. One of the challenges we gave them, because we realized that we were burning a little light as far as overall spend, was to see how low we could come in while still being on time. For us, I think the price is a bit higher than a traditional project going from zero to an app, because we had a range of data integrations that upped the complexity. We spent right around $300,000 for the app.

We started working with them in November 2016, and the iOS app launched in April 2017. This was the initial contract, and we had an option to extend for Android development as well as additional releases throughout the remainder of the year. We did extend the contract and they’re currently working on the Android development as well as additional features and functionality for both versions. We see them as somebody who’s going to be a continued partner for us.

Mobomo was a really great partner, especially in terms of being very collaborative and open. They understood that it was my job to make sure the end result met all expectations and represented us well as a brand.

We told them that it was very important to launch with metrics in place, so that we could track everything and tell those kinds of stories. This was a big project, but they handled it well. We had a couple of challenges, but, as a team, they were really good about helping work through it with us. We intentionally launched as a beta version in order to learn from it, and we haven’t done very aggressive marketing efforts yet.

But, in the 3 months that we’ve been live, we have a couple hundred daily active users and around 2,500 monthly active users. It’s being used actively for hundreds of check-ins a day at different centers, and we’re not even done rolling it out for certain locations. If we’re talking a year from now, we would say we’re on target to see probably 5 million check-ins happening in the app per year, once we’re done rolling everything out and going cross-platform.

How did Mobomo perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re using Slack, JIRA, and Basecamp. We also have codes checked in at GitHub. During the app development, they allowed me access to iTunes Connect in the test flight. So, I was seeing the daily builds, which is something that you wouldn’t necessarily put in front of a client. From the moment we began, they were willing to let me in and see anything that could be installed and clicked.

What did you find most impressive about Mobomo?

Anytime I’ve had feedback of any sort, they’ve always been really responsive. We’ve only had to have a discussion like that once, and they were great at integrating feedback and adjusting how they do things.

They would also align their goals to our success, just as we would. They held themselves accountable and were really invested. That was a cool thing to see. I haven’t seen other groups do that as actively. There is involvement from the CEO, Brian, and all the way down. Every person has been invested, active, engaged, and always available. We brought them into our Slack team, and every one of them is available whenever we need to talk. They’re a couple hundred people—to have that level of involvement from the top down, that’s definitely unique to them and has been very meaningful to us.

Are there any areas Mobomo could improve?

Some of it might have been me pushing for more transparency at the start, but I don’t know if that’s necessarily a fault. That level of transparency isn’t normally expected.

Then we faced the challenge of making sure our conversations in various channels translated into finished tasks. You can’t let important, productive back-and-forth in a Slack channel get left behind in chat history. That was something that both my team and Mobomo pointed out. It’s just a matter of making sure that everything ends up being tracked back to JIRA so that even the smallest things don’t get missed.

I don’t have a lot of negative things to say about them. I really enjoyed working with them on getting this launched and I’m looking forward to continuing to work with them as we progress.

Overall Score They’ve been a great partner for us. As someone with software and project management experience but no app experience, they were really good about bringing me along and letting me be part of it. It’s been really great; I grew in that space as well.
    There was never a moment where I couldn’t reach out to Erik [project manager] or Peter [director] in Slack. Off hours, weekends, any time I ever sent anything, they were there, they were available, they always got me an answer.
    We definitely got value. They were able to launch this under budget, which is great. When we had the crunch time, they were willing to lean in. They really made sure that we got the problem solved and that we moved forward. They had a stake in this too.
    It’s a great app beyond just the look of it. It performs well. We’re very happy with it. When other people in the organization use it, it feels like us, like our brand. It does what we wanted it to and it’s pretty cool.
    I haven’t had a chance to do so, but I would certainly recommend them. They were very strong in all the areas that I was looking for: being thoughtful, failing fast and getting something out, testing for value, design-first, those kind of things.

iOS & Android Dev for Fitness Startup

"I'll probably end up hiring [them] again for slightly larger and more complicated projects."

2015 - 2016

Mobomo redeveloped an existing personal fitness app for iOS/Android. The assigned project team improved the solution's functional backend and also redesigned its user interface.

Kwame Dankwah
Founder & CEO, Ultra Fitness

The project team proved genuinely reliable, produced superior work, and proactively sought to refine the end-user experience anywhere possible, which increased the app's competitive advantage.

I’m the CEO and founder of Ultra Fitness, a mobile app that provides workout programs and meal plans for people who want to reach their fitness goals.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mobomo?

When I first touched base with Mobomo, it was to fix a problem I had with my existing app, which had glitches and bugs from work done by past developers. I wanted to go with a higher quality, top-end development company, and that’s why I reached out to Mobomo. They did a good job of fixing the problems, so I decided to rehire them for a more in-depth project, which would involve adding a bunch of new things to my app.

My project with Mobomo evolved from fixing bugs and glitches to changing the entire UI/UX, making the app more efficient on the backend, and implementing a new backend system that allows me to conveniently manage my content. They also enhanced the app's frontend, which now shows more relevant content to users, works smarter and has a more intuitive design.

How did you come to work with Mobomo?

I literally searched for “top app developers” on Google and found a website that listed lots of app development companies, including Mobomo. They seemed like the best fit for me based solely on the information available on their website. They posted a lot of content that let me understand how they operated. That’s why I decided to go with them.

How much have you invested with Mobomo?

Altogether, I’ve invested about $60,000 to $70,000 with Mobomo.

I think we worked together for about 12–15 months. I stopped working with them in 2016.

The overall engagement has been good. I’ve been transitioning the project to a developer I recently hired. When the app was first launched, Mobomo provided a lot of quality assurance support. They were very hands-on in terms of fixing bugs, glitches, and other issues. Even when I’m uncertain about something now, they will provide a little assistance.

How did Mobomo perform from a project management standpoint?

I believe I had two iOS developers and two Android developers working with me. In addition to those coders, I had two lead project managers: one who focused heavily on the UI and design, and another who basically worked hand-in-hand on the UI but also worked on the backend, on the overall concept, and on any other task that needed to be done. We interacted with the resources as needed instead of having just one point of contact, and we mainly communicated through email and Skype.

What did you find most impressive about Mobomo?

Their services were good. I'll probably end up hiring Mobomo again for slightly larger and more complicated projects because they were good at supplying content and at finding and resolving problems.

Overall Score It was a good experience. It’s something I would look into exploring at a later date.
    For me, the only deterrent to working with them again is the cost. Right now, it doesn’t make financial sense for me because I’m scaling back and remodeling how I operate as a business.
    I would highly recommend them to someone else if they fit within their budget.

Subcontracted Dev Project for Government Contractor

"I've had ups and downs with contractors over the course of 20-years, but it’s always been smooth with Mobomo."

July 2015 - Ongoing

Mobomo's subcontracted team first resolved bugs in an existing healthcare app [iOS/Android] sanctioned by the CDC. The project now includes new features and design enhancements.

Silverspring, Maryland
Sr. Director, Government Contractor

Success hinges on familiarity with government contracting and strict regulatory compliance; Mobomo excels in both arenas, which is rare to find.

I’m a senior director at a federal government contracting firm. We hold a lot of different contracts, but my familiarity with Mobomo is through the work we do with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] in Atlanta. My work is primarily on HIV prevention with the CDC’s Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention and Capacity Building branch. We do education, training, evaluation, and monitoring.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mobomo?

The CDC developed a medication adherence mobile application that they branded as: Every Dose Every Day. It had been developed and launched, but major bug fixes were needed and they were considering a redesign. When we applied for the contract with the CDC, Mobomo was one of our partners via subcontract because they have considerable expertise in mobile applications.

Mobomo was hired to work on the support and maintenance of an existing mobile app for medication adherence for people living with HIV. Mobomo’s involvement started as fixing bugs and adding new medications to a list in the app. Patients use it to track their meds, viral load, lab reports, and medical appointments. As new drugs are added to the market, photos and descriptions of the medications enter the app’s database so users can select them from a drop-down menu.

As the client’s comfort level with Mobomo grew, they found additional monies to add to the contract. Mobomo also did user acceptance testing with several folks living with HIV. The process lasted several weeks and involved having the patients use the mobile app, complete a survey every week, and do a phone interview. Mobomo did a report on their results and presented it to the CDC. The brief included Mobomo’s own ideas as well as changes that users wanted to see. That led to the CDC securing additional funds for our contract. So, in the last few months, Mobomo has been able to redesign the mobile app, including some of its functionality and look, and send that coding to the CDC.

How did you come to work with Mobomo?

The previous CEO of our company knew Mobomo. They probably came in and did a demo. When the contract opportunity came around, my CEO said, “Why don't you get in contact with Mobomo?” So I started working with them. I didn't get the marketing sales pitch per se, but other people in my company did and were familiar with them enough that they said, “We think this is a good group to work with.” I looked at their references and we went through a whole proposal process. It included the scope of their work and budget and so on, information that I could fold into my proposal to the government.

The official contract started July 2015, so we’re going on 18 months. It’s a continuing project that has expanded because of Mobomo’s high-quality services and the CDC’s confidence in their ability.

The government hasn't yet submitted the app for acceptance in the App Store and Google Play, so we don't have the stats on the downloads and usage. In terms of measurements, I can talk about the client-customer satisfaction and the fact that they increased the scope of work and found additional funding to expand and support the project. They wouldn't have done that if they weren’t happy with Mobomo.

How did Mobomo perform from a project management standpoint?

I work with an account manager and account lead. Together, we hold twice monthly phone calls with the end-client. They brought in a specialist to work on the user acceptance testing, and they probably had 3–4 coders working on the redesign. I didn't interact with them directly. I interacted with the project manager, the account manager, and the user acceptance testing specialist. They have a pool of coders that they were using behind the scenes.

I've had ups and downs with contractors over the course of 20-years, but it’s always been smooth with Mobomo. We’ve developed a trust and have open, transparent communication. They don’t try to skip over us to work with the client. When they say they’re going to get something done by a deadline, it’s done. We’ve been pleased with the work they’re doing, the product they’ve created, and the way they’re managing the project.

They use Basecamp to track approvals, prototypes, design, and communication. The CDC had used Basecamp before so that has worked out well from all sides. The CDC had to make approvals on certain design choices; using Basecamp helped us track that. They also had a way to demo the app through WebEx during phone calls, which was useful for the client.

I am not an expert in coding, but Mobomo was good at translating the technical aspect to action items and decisions that needed to be made. So if the client said, “We want XYZ,” Mobomo could explain, “We can do X, but you might want to consider this other option rather than going down that route.” They had a methodical, even-handed way of explaining options and demoing up alternatives. They recognize that we’re a lay audience when it comes to coding and requirements. Laura at Mobomo knew how to work between her developers and the client.

What did you find most impressive about Mobomo?

Mobomo was familiar with some of the regulations of working with the federal government. For instance, it was important that the data live on the user’s phone. No one is tracking the patient data except for the patients themselves; it’s not something we’re tracking in any way. More important with federal government work is Section 508 compliance as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It affects certain design efforts in terms of the colors you use, the functionality and so on. Mobomo had to meet those requirements and fill out that U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 508 checklist. They were familiar with that process. They also did a Spanish translation with the redesign.

Are there any areas Mobomo could improve?

Not necessarily. It’s been pretty smooth.

Overall Score I’ve been happy with them since the project started.
    They hit all the deadlines with the important things and the project deliverables. I sometimes had to follow up with emails, maybe because of all the different time zones involved.
    We went in with a clear understanding of what the costs were going to be, so there haven't been any surprises. We did have 1 situation where we were promoting a new idea to the client and asked Mobomo to mock up the costs. Theye seemed a bit arbitrary.
    The client had worked previously with a different developer that we had inherited, and that was quite a challenge. Mobomo has been a breath of fresh air on that score.

Front-end Development Nonprofit Think Tank

“The process of working with [Mobomo] has always been pleasant and smooth."

Mobomo redesigned a public policy group's website to better suit its growing user base. The new design was more robust, responsive, and mobile-friendly.

Research Fellow & Web Editor, Nonprofit Think Tank

Following launch, the site saw a significant increase in mobile engagement. The new platform earned positive feedback for its fast and intuitive performance, and resulted in less support requests and maintenance. Mobomo's high-quality work and industry expertise made them a valuable partner.

Please describe your company.

We are a think tank in Washington, D.C. We’re a public policy research organization that works to advance the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets, and peace. Our scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research around policy issues.

I’m a research fellow and the main editor of our website.

What challenges were you trying to address when you approached Intridea?

We had launched our website a year before I started working with Intridea, and had initially launched it with a small design budget. We had previously worked with a very small design firm to put together the first version of our website. It was good to begin with but then as the site grew, and we had more resources to work on, it was clear that we wanted something with a more robust design, chiefly something that was responsive, that would work on mobile devices as well as desktops.

We had them rebuild the front-end of the site effectively from scratch. They did all of the design and the front-end code, but our in-house developers had already built a back-end, in this case with Drupal. So, our in-house guys took the front-end code that Intridea gave us and made it work with the back-end. What they handed off to us were Photoshop files along with HTML and CSS files for all of the templates they built. For CSS, I think they used either SAS or LESS, one of the dynamic CSS packages.

How did you come to choose Intridea as your partner?

The firm we worked with for the first version of the site had recommended Intridea in case we outgrew them. Based on that recommendation, Intridea was one of the development firms that we approached to bid on our redesign project. We had sent out a handful of invitations and our team felt the most confident in Intridea.

What was the project completed?

The relationship is ongoing. We’ve gone back to them some months after the redesign to make minor changes, and we added new sections to the site a couple of times with them. We will continue to work with them into the future, I’m sure.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

Sure. Engagements for mobile users staying on the site went way up after the redesign. I get comments quite often about how nice the site looks and how responsive it is. It’s a major improvement. Comments along the lines of, "Among sites on this topic, this is easily the best looking one." Given the political nature of the site, and how strong political opinions are, I’ve seen a number of comments along the lines of, "I don’t like or agree with anything those guys are saying, but that’s a really nice looking website." The users have responded very strongly to the visual quality and the user experience of the site. For the amount of content that you’re able to navigate and browse, it’s surprisingly intuitive and fast. I’ve heard nothing but good things from people about it. Working with Intridea has always been a really easy and pleasant experience. The number of support cases submitted through our old site as compared to this new one is also much lower. People can find what they need and there are far fewer bugs on the site. It's also a much easier site to maintain from an administrative standpoint.

When working with Intridea, is there anything that you would consider unique or special about their approach that distinguishes them from other vendors?

I couldn’t really tell you because their the only sizable design firm that I’ve worked with as a project lead. I don’t have much to compare them with. It was definitely a more enjoyable experience than what I had been led to believe through industry anecdotes, but other than that, I can't offer much.

What advice, if any, would you give to a future client of theirs?

Let them do their thing and trust them. They’re good at what they do, so let them do their thing and don’t try to micro-manage the design end because they do terrific work. It’s all about coming to the table with a clear vision, a goal for what you want to convey. Don’t walk in with a "we need a good looking website" and a mentality to micro-manage the entire thing. Definitely put some serious thought into what you want your users to have at their fingertips when they land on your new site. "What content are they going to see and how should it make them feel?" and the like are questions that should be asked.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

I don’t ever recall running into problems. It was actually rather incredible. When things were going to take longer than what they estimated, they let us know that fairly quickly. There have never been big delays that caused problems with deployment or defects down the road. The process of working with Intridea has always been pleasant and smooth. We get along well, which is one of the reasons we’ll keep working with them into the future.

Overall Score I’m totally happy.

Custom RAILS Development for Nonprofit Research Institute

"You can talk directly with the people who are working on your project.”

Apr. 2012 - Ongoing

Mobomo designed and developed the a research organization's custom website using Ruby on Rails. They continue to maintain and update the site.

Digital Project Manager, Nonprofit Research Institute

Although the site was currently in beta, retention and engagement rates were high. The average visitor stayed on the site for 11 minutes and browsed roughly 14 pages, showing great improvement over previous web metrics. Mobomo's web expertise and project management made the site a success.

Please describe your company.

I work with a research center. We organize surveys of American and international populations and publish reports that are aimed to be factual and nonpartisan. We consider ourselves a fact tank rather than a think tank.

I’m a digital project manager.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached Intridea?

It was a specific project for our group that studies religion and public life. We have a treasure trove of data on all populations around the world that we wanted to surface for our users. We weren’t sure of the best way to do that. It was a data-driven project and we wanted to make sure it was user-friendly, and it seemed like a big undertaking, so we needed some outside help. That’s when we went searching for an external partner.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement in greater detail?

They came in to do some initial interviewing of our target audiences and our stakeholders. We wanted them to create the wireframes and design, and then build the site and maintain it for us.

It’s a totally custom site. They are doing the hosting, and they had to figure out database connections, sort of read-only database rights. They didn’t do any training, per se. They did provide lots of great documentation, though. We left the data stuff to our own researchers. We do have designers and a couple of developers on staff, they just weren’t going to be able to devote as much time as necessary to complete the project. So, Intridea came in and built the site with Ruby on Rails, which ended up being outside our wheelhouse anyway. From conception to deployment and then maintenance and support, we were relying on them.

How did you come to choose Intridea as your partner?

We sent out RFPs [request for proposals] to eight or nine different agencies in the area. We definitely wanted someone local because we knew it was going to be a long-term project, and our stakeholders would be more comfortable if they could meet and greet the people working with us. Intridea was not on my list originally. They were referred me after we had already reached out to a bunch of different firms in the area. But Intridea came to us highly recommended. I went and met their design director and one of their founding partners. They bid on our project, and we liked their proposal and ended up going with them.

When was the project completed?

The initial contract took about two years, and the site launched in April 2014. We still use them for support.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their work?

It’s in beta mode now. We basically launched it as a testing ground. At the time, we only had data from 2010, and we’ve been working on data that will forecast what certain religious groups’ future numbers could look like, and we’re actually releasing those this April. We’ll lift the beta tag from it then. So, we do have some metrics, but I'm not sure how reflective they are just yet. We’re not marketing and pushing it that much, but early insights tell us that it is a fairly eclectic and wonky crowd. There are really only so many people out there that are interested in religious numbers of groups around the world and accessing that data in this way. So the traffic numbers are low, as we expected, but the retention and engagements rates are incredibly high. The average time on site is 11 minutes, and average pages per visit hovers around 14, which blows all of our other sites and projects out of the water. From a project management perspective, everything has been on the up and up, too. No issues with deliverables or timing or communication.

When working with Intridea, is there anything that you would consider unique or special about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

I would say the reason we went with them is that they don’t have a lot of middlemen. With some agencies, the client doesn’t have any direct engagement with the designer or developer. You just interact with the project managers, and if there is any miscommunication, the designers or developers can’t get immediate feedback. We wanted a more agile and collaborative partnership. The reason why I like them so much is because they just have one project manager who is sometimes with our designer or developer. So, you feel like you’re not having to jump through hoops and talk to middlemen. You can talk directly with the people who are working on your project.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think Intridea could improve as a service provider?

We didn’t really factor in the maintenance plan when we were starting out. Because we don’t have Ruby on Rails expertise in-house, we didn’t necessarily know what the long-term commitments would be. Now, we really are reliant on them. But, they don’t want to be a full-time maintenance shop, which is understandable since it is kind of boring. On the other hand, we don’t want to pay a ton of money to keep a site running. So, it’s sort of hard to find a middle ground where they can devote resources to us, usually in an emergency. We don’t want to pay them a retainer if we don’t need any help for a couple months. So, I think it’s just something that we didn’t really think about when we were starting out.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client of theirs?

Factor in the maintenance plan if you don’t have the necessary expertise in-house for the platform you’re developing on. That was definitely something we should have taken into consideration before deciding to build the site with Ruby on Rails, but it’s just a part of that learning process.

I already have.

Custom iOS Application for Management Consultancy

"The work they did for us was quite good."

Mobomo developed two custom iOS applications for the Efiia Group. One application was a limited version of the full-feature application.

Managing Partner, The Efiia Group

The application was used extensively by 16 federal government agencies. This consistent use was the biggest indicator of success. Mobomo's creative process and thorough knowledge of the industry enabled them to deliver a high-performing solution.

Could you provide a brief description of your organization?

I work for a management consultancy predominantly focused on the U.S. government.

I’m one of the managing partners.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached Mobomo?

We had a framework that we wanted to articulate to others in an interactive manner. It was to produce different outputs for the various scenarios and inputs with which we would be working. We wanted to have an app that was more of a marketing item. We wanted it to have a subset of the overall framework and capabilities. It was a sort of demo version.

The secondary project was an encapsulation of the full framework, all of its permeations, and then linking that up to a database wherein we could take the inputs in real time of multiple participants that would be using the app in a workshop or session. We would then aggregate their responses so that we could dig into what the organization’s current maturity or capabilities were at the starting point for our workshop, and the projects we would be working with them on. It had a lot of moving parts.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

It was certainly a lot of design, within the design there were different aspects of how we broke that down. Really mapping out what we wanted to see as the framework in the two different projects. One being public facing, the other we were going to hold onto and use during different engagements. It became a matter of, what is the user experience, what are the outcomes, and how do we want to invest further?

They were great at exploring possibilities and then providing us with a couple of different options. Their design team would come in with mock-ups of option one, two, or three. We could evaluate right there and then. “What do you think?” They’d ask. Once we started honing in on what we wanted, it got even better from the standpoint of being more specific from a graphic design standpoint, and working through the finer points of what those specific interaction points needed to be. They got very creative with the interface operations as well as its presentation.

How did you select Mobomo as your solution partner?

We had worked with a number of folks, who were in the mobile space, in different aspects, some in mobile device management, others from app dev. We maintain a close relationship with Apple. But we fall more in the strategy and planning side of it, and certainly do not have the internal skill sets that were less available at that point in time, when we started working with Mobomo, to do some of the native iOS development.

I can’t recall who it was that recommended them to us, but once we had a conversation it became clear that they’d be a good fit. They were very effective at strategizing with us. We sat down and really dug into the details, and in the process we identified a number of additional factors that hadn’t been proposed beforehand. That was particularly impressive.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this project?

It cost us between $125,000 and $150,000 during the course of two or three phases.

When was this project completed?

The first functional deployment was in the Apple iTunes app store in 2012. The other, more complex part, was finished and on the shelves some six months later.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

The success of the app is evidenced by the fact that the federal government still heavily uses it even today. We’ve put it into about 16 or 17 different government agencies, both DOD [United States Department of Defense] and civilian government organizations, during the last few years. It ties extremely well from an output standpoint into different variations of the final report that we give to the client. The extensibility and flexibility are fantastic.

When working with Mobomo, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

There are a lot of companies claiming to do mobile app development. From doing assessments on behalf of the government, or looking at who is truly doing app dev with an understanding of integration on the back-end, as well as aspects of very creative UI [user interface] or UX [user experience], I would put them out and above, in that they have been doing this for four to five years. They truly understand the finer intricacies of not only how to produce an app, but to produce an app that delivers the actual output that the client is looking for, that incorporates external sources into the design.

They really saw through the integration that made our apps function the way they did. I’ve heard horror stories about other organizations contracting with other firms. When it came to production and they needed to put large volumes of data through their apps, that’s when you’d see things breaking left and right. The work they did for us was quite good from that standpoint; it was really built to last.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think Mobomo could improve as a service provider?

The only thing I’d have changed is to have structured an agreement with them that would have allowed us to replicate the same public facing app onto multiple platforms. When we started in 2011, it made sense to target iTunes as the primary distribution hub. We probably should have thought at some point to put something up on Google Play. As Microsoft gets more of a user base, especially in the government market, to have something with them to allow us to easily port the intellectual property and the specifics of what we had done to other platforms under the same scope of work. But, that’s not their problem.

Custom Application Development for Information Technology Firm

"They’re always very willing to give their advice."

July 2013 - Apr. 2014

Mobomo developed a custom website, iOS and Android applications, and a marketing site for 3Wired Group.

Lou Aronson
CEO & Founder, Discourse Analytics

Although the application had not yet launched, demonstrations to potential clients and customers elicited very positive feedback. Mobomo employed an efficient project management model for offshore development, keeping the internal team informed and involved. Overall, the product satisfied expectations.

Could you provide a brief description of your organization?

We are a predictive and prescriptive analytics company.

I’m the founder and chief executive officer.

Could you describe the scope of this project in greater detail?

One of our products that we used to launch our company back in June of 2011 was a Web- and mobile-based solution. It was a political-social network where people could meet and connect with others based on issue affinity rather than political party and identification. We hired Mobomo to handle some of the work in developing our apps and some of the custom APIs [application programming interface].

How did you select Mobomo as your solution partner?

When we launched the company, we launched as a Web-only company. We knew we had to build a mobile presence rapidly, but we also knew the mobile app would be more complicated to implement. We decided that, for a whole host of factors, we would do an iOS app first. We began checking out the [Washington,] D.C., technology community for potential partners. Barg, one of the founders of Mobomo, had been a graduate of a local group of CEOs in D.C. called Mindshare, of which I was a part. It was through this group that I’d received a recommendation for Mobomo.

I met with three of four others vendors, too, and after meeting with Barg and his team, it became clear that they’d give us the greatest likelihood of being able to hit our target deadline of having the app in the app store in advance of South by Southwest 2012, and also to hit it with a budget in mind.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular project?

They wound up bringing it in for around $30,000.

When was this project completed?

The initial project was finished in late February or early March of 2012.

They brought the project in accordance with the agreed upon scope, schedule, and budget. So, from that perspective, they did what they were contracted to do. We received positive overall feedback about the app from folks who were engaging with it at South by Southwest. General feedback around the app was that it was easy to use, had good visuals [and] good UI/UX [user interface/user experience]. It behaved quickly, and as one would hope and expect with an app, doing what we had it doing.

When working with Mobomo, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

They’re always very willing to give their advice in terms of what it’s going to take to have a project work well, or not well, relative to the goals of the buyer. For instance, when we were releasing the iOS app at that point in time, a lot of the research out there was showing that folks weren’t reading a lot on their smartphones. Remember, this was still Q1 [quarter one] of 2012. So, we had to make certain decisions regarding the functionality that we wanted to incorporate, and how that functionality was going to mirror, or not mirror as the case may be, the Web asset.

The guys at Mobomo were very willing to put their personal views on the table about what was going to make the app work or not work. The fact that they were willing to share their experience, in terms of what they were seeing in the marketplace place, with us and how that was going to impact the performance of the app, was one of the key aspects that really differentiated them.

No. They did what they were contracted to do. They did it when they said they were going to do it, and they did it within the budget. That’s what we really cared about, along with the viability of the app. Mobomo succeeded on all counts.

Custom Development for Government Agency

“We’ve been blown away...by the quality of code their developers are capable of delivering.”

Nov. 2012 - Sep. 2013

Mobomo collaborated on an agency website's design, making it more mobile-friendly and responsive. Their work included custom development, configuration, integration, and testing.

Acting Director

The website redesign resulted in a significant increase in web traffic without the drop-off that is common to such projects. Internal staff and veteran users offered expressed positive feedback to the site. Mobomo's professionalism, technical expertise, and dedicated work were key assets.

Could you provide a brief description of your company?

I work for a government agency that operates and manages various official online portals. We’re very much an intermediary between public inquiry and official channels of information.

I’m the acting director.

When we began our relationship with Mobomo, we were focused primarily on the development of our website. There was a growing number of mobile users going to one of our sites and its sister site, which presents identical information, but in Spanish instead of English. I think the relationship began in 2011 or 2012. We were looking to create a mobile presence for our websites, so we could capture users that decided to browse our content on the move. It was a growing segment and we wanted to remain relevant.

How did you select Mobomo as your solution partner for this endeavor?

We had worked with Mobomo before, but through a different contract. At the time, it was support for our search functionality onsite. We did an open procurement in 2011 and initiated a competitive bid process. They went through the full technical and price evaluation and they were the winning vendor.

Did you have a preference for developing your mobile application on a particular platform?

No, we didn’t. After discussing it extensively, they were a part of the entire product plan, we decided not to build it for a specific platform, but to build a responsive website instead. We didn’t want to build a native app and exclude certain users, and we didn’t want to develop the app for two different platforms simultaneously and risk spreading our resources too thin. Because of those issues, and pricing, we decided that implementing a responsive design would be the best possible fix. I mean, we’ve worked with them in the past to build native apps, but that wasn’t a part of this particular initiative.

Could you describe the scope of this project in greater detail?

They provided project management. They were a part of the design conversation, but we have a fully staffed design team. We also have a fully staffed accessibility team. They were not taking the lead in either of those areas, but instead working in tandem with our designers, our accessibility experts, and our content managers. Most of their work was custom development, configuration, integration, and testing.

We spent about nine months and an estimated $150,000 on their services for this particular deployment.

Do you recall when this was completed?

I want to say we finished in September of 2013.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they’ve delivered?

I can tell you anecdotally that we’ve been absolutely thrilled with their work. We’ve continued to see traffic to the responsive website increase. We’re very happy that we can meet what may be an otherwise naturally occurring increase in traffic. Our satisfaction scores remain consistent. We found no drop-off, which typically happens when you implement a redesign. We haven’t experienced any such decline in traffic. More importantly, we’ve definitely received some positive feedback from veteran users of the site, which is great. Overall, the redesign has been very successful.

They have a very talented pool of professionals. We’ve been blown away by their professionalism, by their caliber, and by the quality of code their developers are capable of delivering to us. Across the board, they’ve been a pleasure to work alongside. I’ve always found it easy to communicate strategically with their higher-level executives. Our relationship has been a very positive experience.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think Mobomo could improve upon?

We didn’t experience any issues with them during the course of the deployment. As mentioned, we have a very thorough vetting process, and we felt confident in their technical capabilities. We were definitely justified in the decision to commission their services. There may be areas they could improve, but I’m not personally familiar with what those areas might be.

I will do it in a heartbeat.