MindSea makes beautiful, integrated mobile apps.

Gold

MindSea delivers beautiful, entertaining, informative mobile apps, which are often featured by Apple and are highly rated by over one million users worldwide. MindSea's approach is collaborative and multidisciplinary: the team includes experts in strategy, business analysis, design, programming, project management, and quality assurance. All of them are creative problem-solvers who respond quickly to new requirements and communicate well with their counterparts in client organizations.

MindSea's portfolio includes iOS, Apple Watch and Android apps developed for large and small clients across North America. Other tech companies, as well as traditional businesses such as newspapers and publishers, rely on MindSea for seamless integration of mobile apps into existing business models, IT infrastructure and content publishing workflows. Whatever the audience, MindSea helps the client find and deliver the highest value.

2007
Halifax, Canada
  • 180 John St Suite 418
    Toronto, ON M5T 1X5
  • Boston, MA

Constant Health, Proposify, Mobi Inc, LuminUltra, 99 Walks, DGI Clinical, Vapium, PDI Software, The Dallas Morning News, Postmedia, Portal.io, Southwestern Family of Companies, Pixeo, Tinrocket, Project Box

Proposify Image

Proposify

Deliverables: App Blueprint, Android, Development

Proposify is an online business proposal software that gives your sales team the competitive edge with a mobile companion to help users stay on top of their sales pipeline and close deals faster.

SportsDay TALK Image

SportsDay TALK

Deliverables: App Blueprint, iOS & iPad, Android, Development

Get the best of SportsDay, Sportsradio 1310a/96.7fm The Ticket and sports in D-FW with the must-have SportsDay TALK app. Access articles, chats and blogs from SportsDay and enjoy live broadcasts from The Ticket 1310am/96.7fm. It’s a DFW’s sports lover’s dream.

Trans Canada Trail Image

Trans Canada Trail

Deliverables: App Blueprint, Prototype, User Testing, iOS & Android

The Great Trail app is a trail guide and trip planner for anyone who wants to explore Canada’s epic 24,000 km network of trails. The Great Trail is made up of almost 500 individual trail sections, each with unique and varied features.

National Post Image

National Post

Deliverables: App Blueprint, Prototype, User Testing, iOS & iPad, Android, Development

Get the news you need with the National Post app for iPhone and iPad. Find insight on demand from our best columnists. Go deep on the topics that matter to you with our comprehensive explainers. Lose yourself in our rich storytelling, which features captivating photo and video

galleries.

Pixeo Image

Pixeo

Deliverables: App Blueprint, Branding, iOS, Web Portal, Development

PIXEO is a simple way for photographers to log, capture, and share the world’s best photographic locations. Discover new places to shoot in your own backyard and gain insider knowledge only locals have when travelling abroad. Get inspiration from each location’s photo gallery and insightful tips from other

photographers that have shot there before you.

COEO Image

COEO

Deliverables: App Blueprint, Prototype, User Testing, iOS

COEO is a community platform that connects fitness instructors with athletes and empowers them to grow their personal following and brand.

Toronto Sun Image

Toronto Sun

The Toronto Sun is your trusted source for local news, politics, sports and entertainment. Stay up-to-date throughout the day with breaking news in Toronto, Ontario and around the world. Plus get the latest on the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors, Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Argonauts

and Toronto FC with the best sports coverage in Canada including scores, standings, highlights and commentary.

MVP for Web-Based Sales Pricing Software

“They brought a ton of experience to the table, which earned our trust.”

Jul. 2018 - Dec. 2018

After a collaborative discovery phase, MindSea developed a web app, focusing on UI/UX and QA testing. After completing the final product, they passed it off to an internal dev team for all future updates.

Meghan Kucey
Director of Customer Experience, SalesRight

Since the launch of the app, the client has created a user base of paying customers through the app, who praise it for its design. The internal team has also been able to effectively innovate on top of the MVP. The project manager was also the lead designer, which helped with efficiency.

I’m the director of customer experience at SalesRight, a SaaS product that allows sales teams to increase sales using interactive pricing guidelines. I work directly with customers to make sure they’re getting the best out of our product.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

We’re a startup that only had an idea when we hired them. We needed a partner to take us from the blueprint process through the design and development of our web app. Our goal was to get an MVP with a quality UI/UX from the engagement.

After explaining the product to their team, they completely took it over, starting with the blueprint process. They developed several iterations of  UI/UX design options as well as QA and user testing. All of their efforts led to the creation of a mobile-compatible web app.

During the build, we were scaling up our own internal development team. So, shortly after they produced the MVP, they transitioned it over to our team.

We worked with a team of one designer, two developers, and a QA team. Our designer was also the project manager.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

Halifax has a really tight-knit tech community, so we knew about them because they’re local. They had an excellent reputation in the community, with experience with projects similar to ours.

In our early discussions, we found that they’re really strong with mobile developments, and we knew that we eventually wanted to move our web app toward mobile. We liked that they had that mindset from the start. It was also helpful to be able to meet them in person because of our proximity to one another. Because of all of that, we chose to hire them.

We engaged them in July 2018 and launched our product in February 2019.

When they completed the MVP, they passed it off to our dev team. We’ve been growing rapidly since then, converting multiple paying customers. The positive feedback we’ve received speaks volumes to the work they put into the design and build of the app.

They also delivered a product that our product team could develop further. We’ve released multiple features since then. That also speaks to the quality and clarity of the MVP.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

We enjoyed the unique team setup. Because our project manager was also our design lead, we had a more direct connection to the product itself. We valued that personal touch and created better relationships as a result.

The project manager had a thorough understanding of our product this way. We used Slack and email to communicate, but we also had in-person meetings. Our project was always prioritized by them, and communication was excellent.

We appreciated the uniqueness of having our product designer double as our project manager. It definitely stood out to us. Also, even though they’re a smaller team, we were always confident in their abilities. They brought a ton of experience to the table, which earned our trust.

There isn’t anything that comes to mind. With relationships, you get out what you put in.

They’re excellent, so be sure to engage with them. Don’t hold back from building a strong relationship early.

They were excellent.
    They definitely earned full marks.
    There’s always room for improvement.
    I’ll be recommending them for sure.

Staff Augmentation for Early Mobile App Development

"They really care about, and take pride in their work."

2010 - Ongoing

MindSea has developed several apps for a development company including a photo app. Initially for iOS, the team also built Android, universal, and white label versions. They adapt the platform for OS updates.

St. Louis, Missouri
Founder & President, Small App Company

MindSea delivered impressive apps quickly, which have performed well in the market. The team invested time to understand project goals, enabling long-term time and cost savings. Dedicated to results, the team has maintained high standards and works diligently to support a valuable partnership.

I’m the owner and founder of my own app development company.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

I wanted to deliver a photo app as close to the launch date of the iPhone 4 as possible. Time to market was my main concern. I could have either ramped up on iOS development and made the app myself or hire a team to help bring the product to market a lot faster.

MindSea helped us develop several apps. The most successful products are a suite of apps that replicate the experience of sitting in an old school photo booth. In particular, there are two apps that are thriving right now. One of them is designed for recreational use such as taking selfies with friends. The other is more capable, designed for people who want to set up photo booths at events.

While I was involved in the development process day-to-day, my focus was on the overall design. We worked together but MindSea built the app. Initially, the app was for iPhone. MindSea ended up porting it to Android. They helped develop other versions for the iPad as well as a universal iteration. As iPhones and iPads changed with various screen sizes and different iOS iterations, MindSea has been the one bringing it forward for each new device and operating system. Their team also built software, which made it easy for me to quickly deploy branded versions of the app.

From QA to development teammates, I’ve worked with probably 15 people over the course of our collaboration. MindSea has design, development, and test teams who are experiences on both iOS and Android platforms. They also have a seasoned web team who helped build web components for a couple of my apps.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

I searched Google to find that a lot of app dev companies were overseas with non-English speaking teams. It seemed that there was always going to be a go-between which didn’t seem efficient to me. I found MindSea online. I held a typical interview and hit it off with the founder, who understood my vision for the initial app. I talked to the team members who would be helping to write the software. There were no layers between me and the people who were actually getting their hands dirty with the software.

I started working with them in 2010, and our engagement is ongoing.

MindSea captured my vision for the app really well. In the app store, the first product performed well. It was featured in the list of top 10 photo apps for the first couple of years. We made our Android version because Amazon asked us to develop an iteration exclusively for their app store. Businesses contacted us to port the app for their respective stores and each was willing to pay for that privilege.

Without MindSea, I wouldn’t have built the app in time for the iPhone 4 release. They were able to perform development tasks in parallel, which I would’ve had to do in series. It would’ve been a much longer process to launch the app without their team. If I didn’t have them onboard to help bring my ideas to light, some products might have never seen the light of day.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

We hold video calls but MindSea uses Slack and Trello religiously. With Trello, we can see what’s been triaged and what’s being worked on presently. We’ve used slack for any day to day communication. When we had big releases and had more than just one person on their team working, the scheduling was met with the same rigor with which they used their organizational tools.

There was no software for a long time in the development process. I really appreciate and resonate with their design process. Before any software is written they work extensively to first explore, document, and design the software. They call it their blueprinting process. They rightly want to make sure that a product is captured on paper when it’s inexpensive to make changes and explore different ideas. It was a super helpful process, helping save time, money, and consternation.

MindSea has struck a great balance between being big enough to produce world-class work and small enough that I could reach out to teammates directly. There wasn’t a huge chain of command that filtered my messages. I didn’t have to navigate a huge bureaucracy. Their size is a great asset. No one’s phoning it in. They really care about their work and even take pride in it.

No, I don’t think so.

Make sure to carve out time to visit Halifax—it's an amazing city!

iOS App Development for Medical Feedback Platform

"Everyone who saw the app has been impressed with both the concept and the product."

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

After designing wireframes, MindSea worked collaboratively with an in-house team to develop an iOS application. The app helps patients control their usage of cannabis and share results with their doctor.

Paul Nykamp
Software Developer, Vapium

The app is going through testing, and the feedback from business partners has been very positive. MindSea went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their personable approach and exceptional communication skills made them easy to work with.

I'm a software developer at Vapium. We develop cutting-edge software and hardware products in the medical space.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

We're building a product that will help users consume cannabis in a controlled way and record their usage. (Cannabis is legal in Canada and is used extensively for medical applications.) We reached out to MindSea to help us develop an iOS app.

First, we talked in-depth about our requirements and the audience. Then, they did the blueprint of the application, so they basically designed the app on paper. After we provided our feedback, they started the development process. The app allows customers to share their use of cannabis with their doctors and give feedback on the effects of the medicine on their condition.

We're currently working with our project lead and two developers. They're very flexible and willing to increase or decrease the number of team members depending on the phase of the project.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

I worked with them previously. I was the CTO at a different company, and MindSea built an iOS app for us. We had a very good experience, so I didn't hesitate to hire them for this project.

We've spent between $150,000–$200,000.

We started working with them in February 2018, and the relationship is ongoing.

We're currently testing the app with our business partners, and the feedback has been amazing. Everyone who saw the app has been impressed with both the concept and the product.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

We have weekly meetings, and communication has been very smooth. If there is a problem and I reach out to them, they get back to me within minutes.

They're very personable and fun people, so it's been an enjoyable process.

I can't think of anything.

Our experience was focused on building an iOS app, so I highly recommend MindSea to anyone who is doing a similar project. However, MindSea is also very knowledgeable about Android and other software. Some overseas companies are cheaper, but there might be communication issues, and it's hard to get the same quality. MindSea offers very good value.

If there were any hiccups, they were mostly our fault.
    There are less expensive options, but MindSea provides exceptional quality.

User Experience for Mobile App Fuel Rewards Program

“We're very optimistic about how this product is going to transform our business...”

Sept. 2018 - Dec. 2018

MindSea designed the UI and UX for a mobile app fuel rewards program, performing a design thinking workshop, user testing, and prototype building.

501 - 1,000 Employees

Dallas, Texas
Eric Evans
Sr. Product Manager, Excentus (PDI Software)

MindSea laid the groundwork for a product that has already brought a lot of visibility and positive attention to the business and program as a whole. Enthusiastic about the success of the project, their team was very proactive, timely, and hardworking throughout the engagement.

I'm the senior product manager at Excentus, a loyalty marketing company focused primarily in the convenience retail space, which includes convenience stores, wholesalers, and fueling stations.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

There were a few challenges we needed help with. First, we wanted to update our entire experience within the fuel rewards program since we hadn't made any updates to our digital pieces in over four years. Secondly, we wanted to improve engagement within the program. Lastly, we wanted to digitize the entire experience.

MindSea set up a design thinking workshop, where we laid out a blueprint for building the app. While our own internal team did the actual development, MindSea provided three rounds of in-person user testing with about 12 different users, who viewed 50-60 screens that they had created prototypes of. Using that feedback, they helped us build a prototype in InVision and retested it to ensure we'd resolved all of its issues.

Since our project was so complex, we not only had a lead designer managing the project, but also three full-time designers as well as their CEO heavily involved in every aspect of the engagement.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

I had worked with MindSea before at a previous company and recommended them to our company for the project.

We invested about $80,000.

The project took place between September–December 2018.

Our team is extremely happy with the prototype MindSea helped us develop. It's one of the most exciting projects we've worked on in a long time. We've also received a lot of positive feedback from users during testing, who are eager for the app to go live. The strategy MindSea laid out for us was very thorough, yet easy to understand and well received by our customers, members, and internal executives. We're very optimistic about how this product is going to transform our business and the program as a whole. As a result, our biggest partner has prioritized our program as their top initiative for 2019 and 2020, giving us a lot of visibility.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very responsive and one of the most accessible teams I've ever worked with. We had bi-weekly video calls with their team and met with them in-person three times.

They're very good people and genuinely interested in building amazing products for their clients. They take ownership and pride in their work and developed a good rapport with our team. My internal team continues to request that we work with them again, so the experience has been very positive and we look forward to continuing the relationship.

No. They performed a culture review a couple years ago and asked me the same question, but I couldn't think of anything.

Dedicate as much time as possible towards the collaboration in order to help their team succeed while educating yourself on the process. They have some highly knowledgeable people on their team that can help guide the project, providing creative solutions along the way.

It's almost unbelievable that they were able to hit our three-month deadline.
    I can't find another vendor willing to do this amount of work for even twice the rate.
    The solutions they delivered were a huge success.
    I love working with these guys.

iOS Mobile App Dev for Communications & Scheduling Tool

"MindSea went above and beyond, and exceeded my expectations."

Apr. - July 2018

MindSea developed an iOS application, working on the MVP as well as user testing. They developed the app based on a basic walkthrough and flow produced by the client.

Toronto, Canada
Doug Zinkiewich & Scott Stallman
Co-Founders, Tasker

The first phase of the project is completed and the look of the app at this stage is excellent. The team displayed their expertise in the app development field throughout the project, while ensuring that the scope of work stayed manageable and suitable for the need.

Scott Stallman: We develop a communication and scheduling tool for the contracting industry. I’m a co-owner of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

Doug Zinkiewich: The challenge was the development of our app. It’s a collaboration platform that allows on-site workers to share data and have mobile access to documents

DZ: They developed our app for iOS. We’ve done user testing and come up with an MVP, and are now moving to other platforms.

SS: I initially constructed a PowerPoint presentation from data that I collected, with a basic walkthrough and flow from a user perspective. MindSea used that material combined with our feedback to build mockup designs.

DZ: Taylor (VP of Client Experience, MindSea) was the project lead from the very beginning. We also worked with a business rep, and had a main contact for development, who took part in weekly meetings. She was also the point person for user testing while developing the MVP and blueprints. There was another member working in the background, on the software development.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

DZ: In a previous position, I’d worked with an individual who’d developed an app with MindSea and who talked highly of them. We wanted a professional process for taking the app from idea to business and when talking to MindSea, they went through their process, stages, and everything that surrounded those—we liked what they had to offer.

SS: They picked up every idea we had, and they kept us on track in terms of goals and road mapping.

DZ: It was around $25,000 CAD (approximately $19,000 USD).

DZ: We started working with MindSea in late April or early May 2018, and finished in July. We’ve done the iOS portion, but we realized that we need to develop the administration web portal side.

DZ: They were able to deliver an MVP along with blueprints and user testing within the time frame we outlined. We’re happy with the result and how it looks, and we’ve already talked with them about building the next versions.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

DZ: We didn’t use a specific system; we developed a timeline in the beginning, and we followed that. We used Zoom and email for communication.

They were all in coordination, and they maintained the momentum, which was key for us. They were collaborative and proactive in what they did. They knew what to expect, as we worked through the process, and they worked well together. We could set up additional meetings with the CFO in order to determine valuations and go through some Excels.

SS: I initially wanted to incorporate everything I could into the app, but they kept us level-headed and helped us go through the journey of creating the MVP, so that we’d have a good structure to build on in the future. I found that helpful and I appreciated the constant communication. They sent us feedback and shared documents, giving us all the information necessary to understand the startup tech world. MindSea went above and beyond, and exceeded my expectations.

DZ: One of the things that attracted us to them was that they’d developed apps that sold on the market, and by a large number. Their experience is evident: they’re strategic and competent, they have a good project management mindset, they’re process-oriented, and they know what their objectives are.

As entrepreneurs, we don’t necessarily think within those areas, but MindSea is good at keeping us focused. The process can drag on, and there are roadblocks a lot of the time, but we were able to find solutions for the ones we encountered.

SS: They did go over the timeline for the initial kickoff and I had to ask them about our status. It would be good to have had updates throughout the process and using a scheduling tool might be useful. I don’t have any other comments; I think they did an excellent job and there isn’t much I would’ve changed.

DZ: I like their personalities, ideas, and the scheduling process. However, I would like the ability to make paper copies of our blueprints. I’m more old-school and I’m new to many of the modern communication tools, so I need to print the material, which is sometimes hard to do because of how it’s formatted.

SS: I’ve already recommended them to a couple of people.

App Development for Photographic Tools Startup

“I’m blown away by the design and beauty of the interface.”

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Supporting a new startup, MindSea is developing an iOS app per project blueprints. They used Firebase to build backend components and TestFlight to address technical issues during development sprints.

Ottowa, Canada
Shawn Kent
Director, PIXEO

MindSea is incredibly organized and honest. Instead of entertaining ideas that don’t fit the project, they proactively re-evaluate and innovate. They adhere to project blueprints and perform development sprints as scheduled. The app design is sophisticated yet accessible.

I’m the director of a startup called PIXEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

We wanted to build an app to further our long-term goal of developing photographic tools.

I had the concept of the app and contacted MindSea requesting a meeting. When we spoke, they outlined the blueprint process and were upfront about what was involved in planning and building the app. From there, they began developing our app for iOS and per their recommendations; we’ll hopefully launch an Android version in the future. To handle app content and media, they’re using Firebase for its backend components. As development continues, they’re using TestFlight to work through technical issues during sprints and establish user flows. Additionality, they’ve helped structure our business and build the background elements required.

I predominately communicate with one of their UX designers, but I’ve also had the chance to sit down and work with their CEO.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

There are two ways to approach app development at an early stage. The first is to find some guy in his basement that will code it for you. The other option is to seek out the best app developer that’s potentially within budget. I searched online and found the premier app developer in my region (MindSea). After meeting them, it was obvious why they were in that position.

Thus far, we’ve spent close to six figures.

We started working together in August 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

The app hasn’t launched yet, so I don’t have any measurable statistics. However, I’m blown away by the design and beauty of the interface. The design decisions are elegant and that’s all Warren [UX Designer, MindSea]. That guy’s a genius.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

They're extremely organized and every step of the process is measured. The whole project is very well scoped out and they perform sprints as scheduled. Going into this, my biggest fear was having to deviate from the original project blueprint we designed together and cause cost overruns. But to date, they've been right on target.

Their professionalism and morale stand out to me as the staff genuinely seems to like working there. As time progressed, we realized their passion and excitement for the project is 100% real. Another of their best qualities is bluntness. If we had any ideas that we liked but wouldn't have worked on the final product they let us know upfront. Instead of wasting time on an unrealistic idea, they help us re-evaluate. I appreciate that kind of honesty.

To be honest, I don’t have a single critique against them.

They never missed a deadline.
    It’s a complex app and I think the price is reasonable for the service we’re getting.
    Deliverables are always on time and beyond what we envisioned.
    If I hear anybody wants to build an app, I'm going to tell them to call MindSea.

iOS Mobile App Dev for Community Help Platform

“There’s a feeling that they really want you to be successful and they’re there for you.”

May 2017 - Ongoing

MindSea built an iOS application for a job search startup and are now working on the Android version. The app includes location services, in-app messaging, a profile system, and a searchable job board.

Toronto, Canada
Adam McLeod
Founder, Adam Helps

The iOS app has been released and received 1,000 downloads. Its look and design have been praised by users. The team is dedicated, diligent, and organized, working in weekly sprints and methodically completing tasks. They are invested in the project and their commitment shows in the results.

I run a startup called Adam Helps and created an app called ADAM. It’s a neighborhood app to connect with people physically close to you for the purpose of doing everyday tasks.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

We were looking for somebody to develop our app. Our challenge was to find a company that was within our budget, but more importantly, the right size company. We didn’t want to give someone our requirements and not hear from them for five months. We needed to know that we were going to be able to work with the company.

We went through a blueprint process where we planned the features list, prioritized them, and came up with goals. I immediately felt like we were totally synching and clicking off of each other in terms of understanding what we needed. The blueprint turned into a proposal for an actual scope of work. They have weekly meetings every week for 16 sprints (16 weeks) where we talked about what we were going to accomplish, what we had accomplished in the previous week, any problems, and anything that needs to be changed.

We did a full build of an iOS app which was released in September. Some of the features that the app needed are good location services, strong in-app messaging, a mutual review system, a profile system, a job board, and some search functionality. Now they’re currently working on Android. We’re also planning a second version of our app which includes some advanced features.

They also they did additional graphic design work on our logo. They revamped it and also did a full refresh of our website to make it look nicer.

That blueprint process was in-person with the whole team that we worked with, including the project manager, UX [user experience] designer, UI [user interface], and backend developers.

They also have somebody who is their business development person, and she was my go-to for advice.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

Through a lot of research and due diligence, including using Clutch. We got a lot of different prices, offerings, and structures. In total, we deeply looked at probably 10 companies.

What set MindSea apart was that I trusted them immediately. They conveyed that with their onboarding process and the initial people that we spoke with. You start with a blueprint, so it’s a warming up process. They did a lot of things to establish my trust as somebody who is in the startup game and has a lot at stake.

We’ve spent 350,000 CAD [$276,000].

We started working with them in May 2017.

Our app hasn’t been live for too long, but we’ve just hit 1,000 downloads and that’s only on iOS.

It’s been getting some great responses so far. We’ve been out at trade shows and tech events showing our product and getting lots of feedback. One of the things that we hear consistently is that the app is very nicely designed and looks aesthetically pleasing. The app has not had any bug issues.

We have learned that there are some things that we didn’t anticipate and that we need to change. There are some things that weren’t as obvious to people as we thought they would be. We have to make some changes to some of the components.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

We have weekly meetings. They are agile and very open in their communication. Those were the things that really stood out to me about the way that the process was going to move forward. They have totally delivered on that every step of the way.

They are very organized. Everyone works either on a Trello board or Slack to help keep people communicating all the time. The project manager will give me a list of things that I need get back to her on, such as a decision about a feature, color, or button. She also has her list of things to do and then we just update each other accordingly.

They really were and are rooting for us to succeed. They’re not such a huge firm that you get lost in the mire of it. You matter to them as a client. There’s a feeling that they really want you to be successful and they’re there for you. I think that’s something that I look for in employees and in people that I work with. I’m not just a paycheck to them. I know that they really want the app to look as great as it can and they work hard to make sure that happens. Every time when we have had any issues, they have fixed it right away or made sure that it was a top priority. I have to praise them for being consistent with their amazing customer service.

If they were a bigger team, we might be able to move faster on a few things. They don’t have a huge staff and good developers are so hard to find. Every client would love to see things move faster, especially now that things are going well. But I understand that this is their size, and this is what we’re working with, and they’re not a factory.

Overall Score It’s really the people that make the culture at MindSea. I really couldn’t be happier with their whole group.
    They have a master schedule for the whole project, and then every week we do one thing at a time.
    Their value is a hybrid of the quality of the work that they do and the quality of the service that they provide.
    I don’t think their quality of service can be beat. They make their entire team available.
    People love our app and they want to know who built it, and I have no problem saying it’s MindSea.

UX and Prototyping for Outdoor-Focused Nonprofit

"This was the first app we'd ever built, so it was great to have an experienced group helping us walk through it."

Mindsea delivered UX design and app wireframes that would be used as a first step in building the client's navigation and location-based application.

Montreal, Canada
Lea Hardcastle
Manager, Trans Canada Trail

Mindsea's detailed design and app wireframing significantly improved this client's ability to articulate development scope and improve the RFP process.

Trans Canada Trail is a non-profit with a mission of facilitating a recreational trail across Canada. I am the manager of information systems for the organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

We were coming to a completion deadline for 2017, and were convinced that we wouldn't have signage on the ground in order to facilitate the navigation along the Trans-Canada trail. We wanted to create a virtual signage platform which would allow people to find, access, and safely navigate the route. We also wanted to raise awareness for the trail and highlight its history and cultural diversity.

MindSea was hired to walk us through a blueprint process for the development. We took some high-level goals and worked with MindSea in identifying our strategy and key audience, stripping down the feature set to something that we could move forward with. We went all the way to the design phase, getting all the elements needed to pull the app together on the development front. We didn't use MindSea for the development itself because we work with a specific GIS [geographic information system] program for a number of our internal tasks. We needed to build out that expertise, so we needed to find someone more knowledgeable of that system.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

We hired a different company for our signage plan, but it became obvious that we would need some technology help. That company referred us to MindSea. We met with them, and I liked the approach of blueprinting the app, getting out of the typical model of a 9-page RFP [request for proposal], which would have been vague. MindSea allowed us to fully articulate what we wanted from the app, get a good sense of its cost, and also obtain many of its design elements nailed down before the development started. We were able to envision the app, take it to potential sponsors, and create a more fleshed-out RFP.

How much have you invested with MindSea?

The cost of MindSea's work was around $10,000.

Having a reference point of detailed wireframes and design has helped structure our conversation around development, simplifying this phase. We have run into some technical issues but were always able to reference back to a strong set of wireframes. It helped answer questions from a user perspective, instead of from a coding one.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

MindSea has a lot of expertise, and their team was good at holding our hands. This was the first app we'd ever built, so it was great to have an experienced group helping us walk through it. It helped us focus our feature set and get on the same page.

What did you find most impressive about MindSea?

MindSea helped our board establish expectations, and our management team to see what we were going to get.

Are there any areas MindSea could improve?

I don't have any criticisms for MindSea. The blueprint process was satisfying for us, and we've integrated it into our project. MindSea has a strong technical team, focusing on user experience.

MindSea met all our goals.
    I have referred MindSea. I believe that this blueprinting model is much more functional that the regular RFP process.

App Development for Dallas Media Company

"I’ve never had another vendor work as hard as they did."

This client had an out of date app that was pushing users away from the platform. Mindsea has completed the overhaul of the iOS app with Android on the way.

Dallas, Texas
Eric Evans
Product Lead, Dallas Morning News

The app completed by Mindsea boasts a doubled in-app user time, in addition to, a much stronger iOS app store star rating.

Dallas Morning News is a large media company. I handle all of our apps which include the Dallas Morning News app, SportsDay Talk app, and an e-paper app that’s a digital replica of our newspaper.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea?

The SportsDay Talk app was launched a couple of years ago and has around 50,000 loyal followers. It’s a blend of sports content that our sports writers here at the Dallas Morning News write, and then we’ve integrated the most popular sports radio station here in Dallas in the app as well. There had not been any maintenance or updates on the app and we were losing customers. We rebuilt the app so that it functioned better and looked better.

MindSea just published an iOS version a couple of months ago and an Android version is coming out in January.

How did you come to work with MindSea?

We put out an RFP [request for proposal] and they responded to it. We had a specific budget for the project and MindSea came back with a solution that fit our budget. They came back with the best RFP response and we really like their team. I work with their co-founder, Bill, pretty much every day.

How much have you invested with MindSea?

We’ve spent between $150,000 and $200,000 with them.

We’ve been working with them about seven or eight months.

Our rating in the iOS App Store has gone from 2 ½ stars to almost 4 stars. There were some minor bugs, and MindSea had two updates out in within a week of publishing the app. They’ve worked extremely hard to learn about the rigid iOS rules concerning streaming apps. We use the feedback we’ve gotten to learn about data, and Bill and Joel from MindSea are working on how we can decrease data for our users. The reviews are showing that we’ve come up a more reliable stream and our ad impressions are up. Our time in the app is almost double what it used to be. We’re getting nearly six minutes per user per session, and those users are logging in twice a day. So we’re getting anywhere from 12 to 15 minutes a day out of each user, which is much higher than we were seeing before. We started integrating our radio ad spots and social media platform marketing which is resulting in a doubling of our new users each day.

How did MindSea perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a Slack channel that they set up for us which is a 24/7 feedback loop that includes Bill and everybody on their team. I can ask a question and have it answered right away.

What did you find most impressive about MindSea?

The team is awesome and they’re willing to do anything, including staying up late to work on the project. Their lead developer re-coded the entire app in his Jeep when we were having bugs with the radio player. When one of the developers stepped away from the team Bill took on the project and we would talk several times a day. I’ve never had another vendor work as hard as they did.

Are there any areas MindSea could improve?

I’m really happy with how they handle everything. They have a very talented team.

Overall Score MindSea has been one of the best partners I’ve worked with.
    We’ve been indecisive on how much work we can accomplish in a specific time period. Sometimes we change our minds, or want changes to the work they’ve done, and they turn it around really fast.
    I approve everything they do and they’re very conscious of our budget.

App Development for AV Wholesaler Channel

"Them [MindSea] communicating to us the status of the project and doing it in an efficient way is great."

Without any internal iOS developers onboard, this client brought in MindSea Development to provide an iOS app for their existing web-based business.

Denver, Colorado
CEO, Wholesaler Channel

Efficient project management and strong communication stick out in this client’s mind as reasons for recommending MindSea Development as a partner.

We’re a portal for protected wholesale industries. The first industry that’s being served by the app right now is the custom audio-video installation. So local AV guys or AV shops would use the app to search products. We catalog every single product in the industry from every single distributor and direct manufacturer. Once we do that, we then allow them to view the pricing in one spot and leverage that catalog to build proposals for their clients, and then convert those proposals into purchase orders and send the orders off to the vendors.

I’m the chief executive officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with MindSea Development?

We had already built the web version of our service and had been running it for almost five years. It was critical to be able to get it into a mobile app and do a native iOS app because these dealers are always in the field, they’re out in clients’ houses generating proposals or doing installs. So it makes sense to be able to offer a mobile app where they can do that out in the field rather than wait, take notes, and come back and do it at the office like they used to do it. We do have a development team in-house but we didn’t have any iOS guys.

MindSea provided just the iOS development.

How much have you invested with MindSea Development?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000.

We started talking to them two years ago. We did the blueprint session. They were great at turning around a comprehensive blueprint and telling us what it was going to cost. Our budget from the app just wasn’t realized until earlier this year. So I think we worked with them for about three months.

It launched in the app store yesterday [October 2016] so we’re not sure yet. We had test users for the last month. We launched at our trade show a couple of weeks ago. People were blown away by it. They couldn’t comprehend how we had taken an entire industry of products and got it into a phone screen. All indicators show that it’s going to be successful, but only time will tell. They say it’s really intuitive. There are only four sections you can go to - the catalog, the proposal section, order section, and the “more” area - settings and things. It’s simple to navigate. Having almost a million parts and pricing on a phone is pretty impressive, especially since it’s never been done before in wholesale.

How did MindSea Development perform from a project management standpoint?

The way they do meetings in their Scrum environment is just so efficient. We get on calls and get to the heart of the matter right away without feeling like it’s going too fast and they’re not listening to us and then they get to work. They’re really fast at getting things done. It’s daily builds almost. The organization is big enough that you’ve got a lot of resources, but they keep the team small enough so that they’re efficient. I’m not constantly talking to a sales person and then I’m talking to a project manager and then I’m talking to a designer. What’s unique about them is their designer is also the project manager. Amanda Somers manages a small team of developers, two to three guys, directly. It’s a very compact unit. It’s easy to communicate with them.

What did you find most impressive about MindSea Development?

Communication is the biggest one. They do a very good job of following up and recording feedback that we send to them. You know it was confirmed and they got all the feedback and what they’re going to work on. Them communicating to us the status of the project and doing it in an efficient way is great. We’re working with another outsourced dev shop now, and we’re able to compare that experience side by side. To be honest, some things really stand out about MindSea.

Are there any areas MindSea Development could improve?

I don’t know what we could’ve done better. Any project is going to have its technical challenges and roadblocks, but that’s not necessarily their fault. We didn’t have any big holdups. I feel they’re a little more expensive than other companies, but what you learn is you get what you pay for. That’s just my perception. I’m sure every person that pays for an app thinks it’s too expensive.

Overall Score If I could use them for more than iOS development, I would.
    We didn’t meet our original deadline but it’s because we changed the scope. We’re happy with that.
    When the scope increased and went over our original budget they worked with us to help reduce the cost. They didn’t have to do that but it really left a good taste in our mouths. It capped off the project in a great way.
    We’re looking at another project now that they don’t know about, which might end up going to them.

Gold