A brand elevation agency.

Matter is a Brand Elevation Agency unifying public relations, social media, creative services and search marketing into strategic, content-rich communications campaigns that inspire action and build value. Founded in 2003, with five offices spanning North America, Matter works with the world’s most innovative companies across high-technology, consumer-technology and consumer markets.

2003
    260 West Exchange Street Suite 205
    Providence, RI 02903
    401.654.4976

Public Relations for Corporate Learning Platform & Content

“They’re definitely one of the best agencies I worked with in the last 10 years of my career.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Matter continually provides public relations materials to increase brand awareness. They brainstorm around brand themes to develop media pitches. The pitches become featured articles in publications.

1,001-5,000 Employees

VP of Corporate Communications, Skillsoft

Matter strives to understand industry-specific challenges to produce compelling content. They’re proactive in suggesting solutions and quick to readjust pitches. While more focus could be allocated to business-related press, they’re personable, responsive, and accomplish project goals.

I’m the VP of corporate communications for a corporate learning platform. We provide content to help improve people’s skills across different disciplines like business leadership, corporate compliance, and I.T.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matter Communications?

We were primarily trying to increase brand awareness. The quantity and quality of our public relations content were stagnating before working with them.

We meet with Matter on a weekly-basis to strategize critical themes to pitch that align with our corporate objectives. Then, they build out a target media list a develop pitches to secure opportunities for us around executive commentary and trend articles. They also find opportunities for us to contribute articles to key publications. We ask them to pursue product coverage as well, but that’s becoming increasingly difficult to get.

We work with a six-person team including an account director, senior account executives, and an account coordinator.

How did you come to work with Matter Communications?

We engaged them through our former SVP of marketing who had a prior working relationship with their EVP.

We started working together in June 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

The volume of our public relation efforts has increased significantly. We're getting the right coverage in the publications we need. Our subject-matter experts are regularly being featured in articles, be it by quotes in a more extensive story or contributing their own material. They’ve done a great job with the trade press and got us a fantastic story in Forbes about our digital transformation.

How did Matter Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

I don’t manage them day-to-day, but I do participate in the weekly calls. They go through the projects and keep things flowing productively. We collaborate on new ideas and they reliably execute on getting us valuable coverage. If they can’t succeed, they go over the media’s feedback and explain why something may not be working. After that, they suggest an alternative approach.

Matter does a really good job of understanding our business and continuously asks for more information. They regularly look for the next opportunity and come to us with proactive pitches. They’re definitely one of the best agencies I worked with in the last 10 years of my career.

I’d love to see more focus on providing business press. I’ve spoken to them about this and they’re working towards it. However, we’re asking them to do quite a lot already considering the size and scope of our business.

Overall Score They're super nice people. They care about the business, deliver excellent results, and are very responsive.
    They’re very good at scheduling regular meetings and sticking to agendas.
    They’ve done a solid job of delivering results, save a few mistakes.

Media Relations & PR for Supply Chain Provider

"They’re always five steps ahead of me and I never have to follow up on their work."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Subsequently used for KPIs, Matter manages monthly/quarterly measurement reports involving global PR and social media metrics in an ongoing engagement. They also administer surveys on an ad hoc basis.

5,001-10,000 Employees

Jolene Peixoto
Senior Director of Corporate Communications, JDA Software

Matter has helped increase media coverage by 200% as well as build strong relationships with several prominent press outlets. A proactive approach, timely delivery, and accommodation around team scalability have eliminated the need for micromanagement and promoted efficient execution.

I’m the senior director of corporate communications of JDA Software, a supply chain provider. My role encompasses global PR and includes media relations, press releases, any external communication, and global social media programs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matter Communications?

Our former agent relationship was becoming stagnant. We’d gotten to the point where we needed a more fresh and creative approach in order to reach the next level of media coverage (i.e., beyond the typical trade coverage to business press).

They manage a monthly and quarterly measurement global report for us. They do the North American portion along with others in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, the Asia-Pacific region, and Latin America. They combine all of these into one report that includes PR and social media metrics. We condense these into one KPI goal that goes into a deck which our CMO gives to the board every quarter. We track against that number every month and quarter in order to share a snapshot of media coverage and highlights to the leadership team on a monthly basis.

They’ve done some ad hoc work on other projects as well. They execute some surveys on their side via a survey tool. They put together a little package that includes the cost, some additional above-and-beyond analysis, and writing involved. We did two surveys like that the first year, three last year, and plan on doing three this year as well.

The VP and managing director is our overall lead on the team. We also have an account director, two account managers, two senior account executives, another account executive, and an assistant account executive. There’s also an account coordinator.

How did you come to work with Matter Communications?

We did an agent key review. We selected Matter because they knew what we needed in terms of thought leadership, demonstrated and understood our goal around the relationship to business press, and had the right balance of creativity and content.

We started working together in October 2015 and the engagement is ongoing.

Prominent media coverage has increased by about 200% over the last couple of years. Our CMO recently had this in a deck that he used for our regional sales kickoff. We’ve never had that kind of coverage before at a business-press level. We’ve been in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, CNBC Broadcast, and Business Press. We now have a lot of really strong relationships at the business-press level that we never had before. They come to us for questions on different stories that they’re writing.

The increase has been pretty phenomenal from a thought leadership perspective. We have a metric that we call a “signature story”, which is a big KPI that goes into the deck that my CMO uses to report back to his leadership and board. Last year, our goal was 120 global signature stories between the U.S. and Europe, and we actually reached 150. We had big increases even with a stretched goal. The year before our goal was 80, but we hit 100.

How did Matter Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always five steps ahead of me and I never have to follow up on their work. If I bring something up, they’ve already thought of it or are pitching it. I don’t have to micromanage them at all because they really have it together.

We work with demand generation content and product marketing on any deliverables we do from a project standpoint that require team collaboration (e.g., surveys) and tie back to the surveys. They’re really good at making sure they get us what we need in time to execute the other pieces. I’ve never had any issues with that.

I worked at an agency for almost nine years, so I knew what we were and weren’t looking for in an agency when we did the review. I picked Matter because they were not a typical agency and had a flat-budget model. They were immediately willing to work with me on scalability in order to build the team out more than initially proposed. Their team is comprised of really good people. I said I would never go back to an agency because I worked at one for so long, but if I did, it would be there’s.

I do a lot of reference calls for them for new business. They’ve been fantastic and a huge partner for us. All the people here see that and know that they’re a really good agency.

Overall Score I wouldn’t be effective at my job if I didn’t have them.
    They’ve never missed a deadline.
    We get so much more out of them than we pay them. They do it with a smile and are always willing to help.
    They’re really comprehensive and good at delivering everything I ask of them, including writing and measurement.
    I always recommend them anytime I see someone who needs an agency.

PR & Brand Visibility for Medical Waste Remediation Company

"I always feel confident they're working on my behalf."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Matter Communications developed a communications strategy to bolster a company’s national brand profile. Research efforts included interviewing the advisory board, and the team wrote 49 articles.

SVP of Marketing, Medical Waste Remediation Company

The unique published articles, posted monthly for a year, received 41 million impressions, and generated between 50-80 sales inquiries. The company won two awards and received multiple investor inquiries as a result. The team was committed, diligent, engaged, and excelled at project management.

I'm the senior vice president of marketing for an organization that produces medical waste remediation equipment. We have 35 employees and are about five years old. The commercializing of our machine started about 16 months ago.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matter Communications?

We were trying to quickly build our company's credibility and visibility with a disruptive technology, competing against an embedded base yet has a method of disposal that has been the same for decades. We wanted Matter to position our company within the marketplace as the disruptive innovative solution in a very complacent environment.

Matter Communications built out an entire PR and social plan based on targeting national storylines, key vertical categories, and disruptive product news. They spent the first month doing their due diligence with our advisory board, sales team and key market participants. They handle all of this space and do almost all of the writing that includes editorial pieces.

Our point person is Tim Hurley, the executive vice president. The team is comprised of four other members.

How did you come to work with Matter Communications?

I found Matter Communications while looking for a local vendor based in the Boston area. An ad agency contact I knew recommended using them. I reached out to Scott Signore, who is their principal. We started a dialogue, and he invited me out to the facility. Ultimately, we chose them out of five other agencies we were considering at the time.

We officially started this engagement at the beginning of February 2017. We're still working with them, and are currently finalizing our plans for 2018. Overall, we're moving forward based on the foundation set from last year's plan.

This relationship worked out very well for us. The final deliverables they produced included 49 unique published articles. These received 41 million impressions and generated between 50-80 sales inquiries. We won two awards as a result and had multiple investor inquiries. There was a post on our business every month of the year.

How did Matter Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very diligent and excel at project management. All five team members participate in our weekly phone meeting, where we review our project sheet. Beyond that meeting, I talk to each of those individuals a couple times a week. They're completely engaged in what we do. Even though I know they work with other clients, it never feels like they do.

We're a small company, but I never feel like a minor client of theirs. I always feel confident they're working on my behalf. When I'm in the building, they welcome me with open arms. Everybody participates and looks forward to coming up with the next idea.

I've never heard them say the word "can't." I like that they're always in a positive, "let's go forward" mode. When considering an idea, they think hard about their response. They won’t say that anything is outside the scope of their ability. Rather, they’ll convey a better approach using a compelling argument with facts and strong rationale.

My reservation as a small firm working with a larger agency was always that we would become invisible. With Matter Communications, that's never been the case. I really can't say I've ever had a confrontation with them or wished they'd done anything differently.

Overall Score Of our several partner agencies, my experience has been extremely positive, comparatively. Even departments I don't work with directly always help.
    They are project management maniacal.
    I’d always prefer it to cost less, but the amount of resources, how often they worked, and the numbers they delivered all exceeded my expectations.
    You can't give fives, because there's always something they can do better.

Public Relations for Sales Learning Platform

"They focus on our business and the results speak for themselves."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Matter leads media relations including writing press releases and blogs as well as securing interviews and bylined articles. Presenting company founders as thought leaders rounds out the engagement.

Director of Marketing, Sales Learning Platform

Matter’s impressive media skills result in substantial coverage in target publications, securely positioning the founders as visionaries. The team’s phenomenal responsiveness, professionalism, and commitment to high-quality work engender a sense of trust.

I manage PR, AR, events and social media for a learning platform that helps sales teams learn to sell better.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matter Communications?

We’re a fairly new company and sales learning is a new and emerging market. We wanted to find an agency to help us create the market and raise awareness of our company as the dominant player in that space.

A big piece of the scope of work is creating thought leadership for our executives. Matter built visibility for the company by establishing our two co-founders as visionaries. Tactics include placing bylined articles and securing speaking opportunities. They helped us secure an article with the Harvard Business Review to publish a joint article about the importance of sales learning between our CEO and one of their contributing writers. Matter now handles all of our media relations including press releases and scheduling interviews with vertical media (e.g., financial services, life sciences) and business publications. They also write blogs for our website.

Our account lead is Tim Hurley [Executive Vice President, Matter Communications] and three other people work on the team.

How did you come to work with Matter Communications?

We initially heard of them from one of my colleagues. They pitched us when we launched but we ended up going with a different agency. It wasn’t a great fit so we decided to switch after just a few months. Matter really stood out to us from the original session so we asked them to come back and pitch us again. We liked their ideas and felt that they really understood our business.

We began working with them in January 2016 and they’re currently on a monthly retainer.

Tim has great media relationships and uses them successfully. He secured an interview for our CEO in The New York Times’ Corner Office feature. He's also gotten us coverage in Forbes and The Huffington Post and we were listed on the Inc. 500 in 2017 as one of the fastest growing software companies in the country. The Harvard Business Review article has been really successful for us. We've been able to use it as a marketing piece to help people understand the need for changing the way they're training their employees.

How did Matter Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They are phenomenal and very responsive. I trust them to be my PR team because of their ability to just jump into projects and work independently. I fully trust them to meet directly with our executives or run a project with one of my colleagues in a different department. They're responsive to my needs. They report back to me and ask questions when necessary. They also deliver according to the deadlines we set.

A lot of agencies come in and wow you with big ideas but don't deliver as promised. Matter is different because they’re truly committed to our business. Everyone on the team is incredibly easy to work with. There’s a constant drive to do their best for us that is evident in the results.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Overall Score They get the job done and make my life easy.
    They typically deliver on schedule.
    They're affordable and reasonable compared to other agencies.
    They focus on our business and the results speak for themselves.
    I'd definitely recommend them and have already.