The Brand Identity House of the South

GOLD VERIFIED

Our team of dedicated branding experts has partnered with everyone from local startups to hometown heavy-hitters like Mailchimp, Chick-fil-A and Spanx. And though we’re proud of our Atlanta roots, our reach has gone global, spanning industries and project types with beautiful work grounded
in substantial strategy.

We’re a small but mighty team laser-focused on brand. While we’re guided by tested principles, we’re careful to honor every project’s particular nuances, diving deep to uncover opportunities and ranging wide to dream up creative solutions.

2003
Atlanta, GA
  • 437 Memorial Drive SE Unit A7
    Atlanta, GA 30312

Chick-fil-A, Steelcase, Publix, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Mailchimp, Kabbage, Coca-Cola, Delta, Spanx, International Justice Mission, JLL, Toll Brothers, Greystar, Georgia Tech, Emory University, Georgia State University, MetLife, Prudential, McKesson, Arthritis Foundation, Mercy Health, Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta, City of Atlanta, MARTA, Rockefeller Group, WinShape Foundation, Cognia, Booster, Ameris Bank

Ameris Bank Image

Ameris Bank

Facing a merger with Fidelity Bank in 2019, Ameris came to Matchstic to build a united brand. Read more here:

matchstic.com/work/ameris

Cognia Image

Cognia

When Cognia first approached us, they were still two separate educational organizations: AdvancED, the world’s leading accreditation nonprofit, and Measured Progress, a renowned provider of student assessments. Read more here:

matchstic.com/work/cognia

Royal Thai Image

Royal Thai

The leadership behind world-recognized carpet designers, 1956 by Tai Ping, came to us after their brand was acquired by another carpet manufacturer, Royal Thai. Read about our collaboration here:

matchstic.com/work/royal-thai

Gresham Smith Image

Gresham Smith

Despite Gresham Smith’s long legacy of impact, their outdated identity didn’t match the quality of their work. Read more about our work here:

matchstic.com/work/gresham-smith

Big Nerd Ranch Image

Big Nerd Ranch

When Big Nerd Ranch first contacted Matchstic, it was to clarify a question of identity: were they a training organization or an app development firm?

Read about the project here:

matchstic.com/work/big-nerd-ranch

Atlanta Humane Society Image

Atlanta Humane Society

Atlanta’s second oldest nonprofit came to us with a lot of questions about their future: Should we remain focused on Atlanta? Should we change our name? How should we tell our story?

Read about the result of our partnership here:

matchstic.com/work/atlanta-humane-society

The City of Atlanta's Future Places Project Image

The City of Atlanta's Future Places Project

The City of Atlanta’s Future Places Project is an effort to ensure that Atlanta is well-positioned to champion and enact historic preservation initiatives for decades to come. Read more about our project here:

matchstic.com/work/future-places-project

11 Alive Image

11 Alive

11Alive, Atlanta’s NBC affiliate, wanted us to help them stand out in a sea of apps, channels and entertainment sources.

Read more here:

matchstic.com/work/11-alive

Amaray Image

Amaray

A team of national property managers came to us looking for help to creatively brand their newest apartment community in sunny Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Read more here:

matchstic.com/work/amaray

Intradiem Image

Intradiem

A SaaS company came to us looking for a radically relevant message and brand. Read about the project here:

matchstic.com/work/intradiem

Booster Image

Booster

When Matchstic’s very first client in 2003 asked for our help with brand architecture 15 years later, we were thrilled to step up to the plate. Read more here:

matchstic.com/work/booster

Branding for Manufacturing Company

"Matchstic is staying ahead of the trend right now. They were able to bring a fresh perspective to our brand."

April - Aug. 2020

Matchstic helped launch 10 new products for a manufacturing company by creating a new visual identity and naming each product. In addition to providing naming options, they searched for trademark availability.

Johns Creek, Georgia
Ashley Brown
Director of Brand & Marketing Communications, PolyVision

Impressed by the brand identity and imagery, sales reps have provided positive feedback. Matchstic worked closely with the client, communicating on a daily basis. They asked many questions in order to get into the nitty-gritty of what the client wanted and bring the brand to life.

PolyVision is a manufacturer of CeramicSteel surfaces used for whiteboards, chalkboards, and architectural wall systems. I’m the director of global brand and marketing communications, responsible for ensuring that the brand is consistent across global markets and promoting any campaigns or product launches.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We were targeting architects and designers working on corporate, educational, and healthcare facilities. We were launching a line of 10 new products within the brand portfolio, and Matchstic helped us develop the visual and verbal identity of the brand in addition to naming.

We went through an ideation process, exploring different avenues. They brought us four naming concepts for the product line. Matchstic did a preliminary Google and trademark availability searches for us, and we narrowed that list down to the final names we’re using today.

The second section was the visual and verbal identity of the new product line. We had a brainstorming session where Matchstic asked different questions to clarify where we wanted this brand to go, what our vision for it was, and how we wanted it to be perceived. They came back with three visual concepts and style boards to explore the design and branding we wanted for the product line. They also helped heavily with the brand and product voice and messaging. Matchstic created identity guidelines for us after all of these items were finalized.

The next phase of the project was to take all of these pieces of identity and put them into a catalog. Matchstic created imagery style guidelines for us, and identified a rendering partner that could bring our vision to life. They guided us through the process, helping the renderer understand the core elements of the brand. They created a catalog for us using those renderings and the messaging, and they made some additional visual mockups on how the content might be used on our website and social media campaigns.

Melissa (Account Manager), Brit (Design Director), and Danielle (Associate Creative Director) were my key contacts. I also worked with Blake (Co-Founder & Creative Director), and there was another designer involved. There were five people in total that I had communication with.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

I was introduced to Matchstic through a previous coworker that had done a couple of projects with them. I reached out to Blake, and we met up for lunch to talk about the project and the services they were able to deliver. Their culture felt right to me. They were down to earth, and they liked getting into the weeds with the client. They seemed very easy to work with, and it turned out to be a great partnership.

It was around $100,000.

The project ran between April–August 2020.

Results are more anecdotal at this point. We launched the brand just at the beginning of September, and we’ve gotten a lot of great feedback from the independent sales reps that are going to be selling the products. They’ve been impressed with the marketing, imagery, and concept behind the brand. It’s only been live for about a month, so that’s all I can say at this point.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

I give them a 10/10 in this respect. Melissa was the project manager, and she always did a good job of lining out schedules, getting feedback from our side, and communicating with me day to day on how things were going, whether they were missing information from us, and so on. They did a really good job managing all the different aspects.

Matchstic is staying ahead of the trend right now. They were able to bring a fresh perspective to our brand. We may not have been able to clearly articulate what we were looking for, but they pulled that out through different insightful questions. They really brought the brand to life, even though we weren’t exactly sure what we wanted it to look like.

I really can’t think of anything. They went above and beyond to help us with some of the imagery creation. It wasn’t in the original scope, but they fit it into the hours they were already billing us. Matchstic really wanted for us to be successful, and they were willing to put in a bit more work to help us get there. I really can’t think of anything they could’ve done better. The communication and deliverables were great.

It’s important to be open-minded. A couple of people on our team were hesitant about some of the visual concepts Matchstic brought us, and thought they were a bit out there. If the client is open-minded, I think that Matchstic can help shape the brand they’re working on.

Whatever the project is, we have to get out of our comfort zone and not think about our personal preferences but about what’s best for the brand. Matchstic did a good job helping us reframe our thinking in that manner. We had a lot of conversations about personal preferences for naming and colors, and people get really opinionated when it comes to that. If the client keeps an open mind, they’ll be successful.

Web Dev & Branding for Banking Organization

"Matchstic is creative and collaborative."

Oct. 2019. - Sep. 2020

Matchstic worked from scratch to develop a custom website and partnered with the business’ network service provider to get it up and running. They also designed several brand elements, including a logo.

Beth Martin
Co-Founder & Chief Experience Officer, Craft Bank

Matchstic delivered a stand-out product that has been met with an extremely positive response. They also developed brand messaging that truly represented the organization. Not only did they possess strong project management skills, but they were also committed to meeting the customer’s needs.

I’m a founder and chief experience officer at Craft Bank, a new bank organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We hired them for branding and custom website development.

Matchstic developed our website from scratch. They worked in tandem with our hosted network service provider, but they did all of the heavy lifting. In terms of branding, we already had our name, but they came up with our logo, branding information, tagline, marketing tools, and visuals.

We worked with a total of five teammates, including Blake (Founder & Creative Director), Cody (Project Manager), Devin (Strategist & Writer), Terry (Senior designer), and another teammate.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

I knew Blake personally, and I knew his work. I saw a campaign that Matchstic had worked on and I thought they did a fantastic job. We decided that, because we’re a new bank, we wanted to start with the best, so we wanted a custom site.

We’ve spent about $100,000.

We began working with them in the fall of 2019, and we’re about to wrap up.

My goal was to have a website that looked like no other bank’s website, and it gets rave reviews from people in the banking technology community. Matchstic did a terrific job with the language for the branding by pulling out the essence of who we are.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is terrific. Cody has kept the process going. Matchstic helped us figure out exactly what we wanted to say, and they took us through a process to help us think more outside of the box. Blake is really nice. Matchstic also worked very well with our hosted network service provider.

The team’s energy distinguishes them. They’re very customer-oriented. I’ve never felt like any concern I had wasn’t immediately addressed. Matchstic is creative and collaborative. They didn’t just tell me what the website was going to look like; we talked about it together.

They have a good process for non-creative people, and they bring out what’s important to the organization. I didn’t know how the process was working, but I trusted their judgment.

No, I really have nothing bad to say about them.

Trust them and go through their process. Someone on my team was a naysayer because he didn’t understand the process, but I told him to commit to the process, and I would advise customers to do the same. Matchstic will work with you and give you something that's better than you expected.

Overall Score They’re fabulous.
    Things took a little longer from time to time, but I always knew where the time was spent.
    I knew it was going to be expensive, and they’ve worked with me in terms of billing. It was worth every penny.
    They exceeded my expectations at every turn, and my expectations were quite high.
    I’ve already recommended them.

Branding for Media Outlet

“Everyone on their team is brilliant and they were fantastic partners. We meshed really well.”

May 2019 - May 2020

Matchstic helped rebrand a television news station. After going through a discovery process, they identified core values, redid the station’s name, and created a slogan that capitalized on space in the market.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Andrew Caliendo
Marketing Director, WTSP-TV

Internal team members responded well to the new brand. Matchstic brought creative and well-thought-out ideas to the table. They kept the project on track and communicated well with their partners throughout the engagement while getting everyone on the team involved.

I’m the marketing director for a CBS affiliate in Tampa. We’re a local news organization, but we provide more content as well. We’re multi-platform and we’ve been focusing on out digital and social platform in addition to our on-air product.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

When I came to Tampa, my first goal was to dive into our branding. In 2020, our parent company did a big market analysis, so we had some great data, but we didn’t know what to do with it and how to move forward. When we hired Matchstic, we needed them to guide us because they’re experts in brand building.

We gave them all the data and they created a fantastic roadmap. Through the process, we discovered the right opportunities to position our brand in the market.

This was an all-inclusive project. We went through a discovery process. They spent time doing market analysis and looked at the market to determine where we stood and what some of our weaknesses are. They identified key areas where we could capitalize on because no one else was occupying.

They helped refine our internal brand and how to work with our team to include them in the process, and that helped us define our core values.

From there, we defined what the pillar of our brand are, what we stand for, and what we can deliver on. Then we did our name, our look, mantra, and all of that. It was inclusive from start to finish, both internally and for our market launch

I think we worked with 6–­10 people, including Blake (Founder & Creative Director), our rep, Lauren (Senior Project Manager), and then a graphic artist and some copywriters.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

We saw their work with another station. I work closely with the marketing director at that station, and we were really impressed with the brand process, how they walked the team through it, and how inclusive they were throughout the process.

We spent $60,000–$80,000.

We started working together in May 2019 and we launched officially in May 2020. We had to push it back a bit because of COVID-19. We did launch internally in February 2020, and that gave us a few months to work with our content team to prepare for the external launch.

There wasn’t a great way to track the success of their work statistically. We had a roadmap and deadlines and they met those. When they brought us ideas and proposals, it was all about how our team responded. It was great and they always had a good rationale for what they were proposing. They helped educate our team on branding, which was priceless, because now we have a whole new way of thinking. The process was so transparent.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

They were fantastic and we relied on their project management so we could go about running a television station. My direct contact was great with communicating with me, often reminding me of deadlines.

We looked at a lot of different agencies, and their knowledge stood out. They had a spark to them. They were current and modern. In addition to having a well-thought-out roadmap and game plan, their spark and creativity was their most impressive attribute. In meetings with us, they would push us farther than we were comfortable with, which was good because it helped us evolve into something really unique in the market. Everyone on their team is brilliant and they were fantastic partners. We meshed really well.

I really don’t think so.

We let them take the ball and run with it. We wanted to be different and bold, and they did it. I would tell anyone considering hiring them to let them take the lead.

Branding Services for Education Improvement Organization

"Matchstic had a methodical and professional approach to the project."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

Matchstic directed market research and provided branding services to unify an education improvement organization under a brand identity following a merger. They created a logo and developed a name iteratively.

Angela Hilliard
CMO, Cognia

After facilitating a seamless engagement, Matchstic delivered satisfying brand collateral that received positive feedback from multiple audiences. The team was receptive to feedback, which ensured successful collaboration. Their impressive project management skills result in a lasting partnership.

I’m the CMO for Cognia — an education improvement organization. We provide assessment and accreditation services as well as proof of services for early learning through 12th-grade institutions, both private and public.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

Matchstic came on board as a result of a merger opportunity. AdvancED was merging with a company called Measured Progress. We needed to determine whether one of the two companies should absorb the other from a brand and naming perspective or if we should move forward a new name and identity for the merged organization.

Matchstic first conducted market research to assess each brand's perceived value in the marketplace.  Ultimately, the board and executive team decided to move forward with finding a new name and identity for the merged organization.

Matchstic directed a number of listening sessions and workshops composed of key people within the organization. They helped us to determine our organization’s attributes and ultimate identity profile.

Their team also directed a name exploration and came up with a slate of names. We iterated on those names. Then, they helped us put together the pieces of the actual brand including a logo.

They also referred us to a company for web development services. Their team provided creative oversight for that initiative. They reviewed copy for brand consistency and voice. Their team also reviewed visuals to make sure the all photography adhered to brand guidelines.

Since then, we’ve worked on one-off projects together. They helped us with copy and voice on a premier identity brochure. Their team also worked on a corporate video, supporting production and storyboarding with another company.

They dedicated people depending on the project’s phase. We worked with a project manager, graphic designers, brand strategists, and visual designers. Blake (Founder & Creative Director) was a consistent presence throughout the engagement.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

In the IT arm of our organization, we had people who were familiar with Matchstic. I looked through their portfolio and liked what I saw. We narrowed our choices to three organizations—one in New York and two in Atlanta. We preferred to work with a local company and Matchstic stood out. We felt that they had a thorough, comprehensive, and transparent approach.

We started our engagement in August 2018 and revealed the brand in August 2019. We enjoy working with them, so our partnership’s ongoing.

The experience was overwhelmingly positive. The name and logo were well received by not only our staff and board but also our peers in the industry. We learned a lot throughout the process and landed in a place where everyone’s happy. Matchstic truly hit a home run.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

Our CEO was impressed by their approach. It’s easy for executives to run over a vendor, but Matchstic didn’t position themselves as a vendor. They positioned themselves as a partner and leader in this work. Their team was capable and professional.

Matchstic had a methodical and professional approach to the project. They were transparent about how the engagement would proceed, which was exactly how we moved forward. Their team was flexible enough to manage the needs of a bunch of executives while staying true to their process.

They took feedback about what we wanted to see in the process. For example, one executive requested more diversity in the images that were used during activities because we serve institutions all over the globe. Their team didn’t bristle at the feedback. Rather, they took it to heart.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Trust the process. Be clear about your goals.

Marketing for Architecture Firm

“Even though they came in at a higher price point, going with them was the best investment.”

Jan. 2019 - Dec. 2019

Matchstic helped an architectural firm rebrand. They redesigned their logo and created marketing collateral. In addition to copywriting, they created templates for email marketing.

Emily Norton
Associate Principal, Dwell Design Studio

The new brand reflects the business’s culture and unique personality. Matchstic delivered all assets on time. Their work is original and stands out from other agencies. The team worked closely with their partners to ensure project satisfaction.

I work for Dwell Design Studio and am an associate principal. The firm specializes in multifamily apartment construction. We do housing, high-rise apartment, and we have a strong retail division and interior design.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

When our company first started, our founder came up with a logo himself. Since then, I maintained our marketing until we felt like it was time to start promoting ourselves. We wanted an actual logo, so we reached out to Matchstic.

They helped us with copywriting and our logo. We rebranded all of our collateral. They also connected us with a good website developer who could rework our site to reflect the rebranding. They set us up with all the templates we need moving forward for things like email marketing. They’ve been a real resource for us.

They had about four people on their end.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

The owner of our company reached out to them many years ago, but we didn’t have the capacity to rebrand them. So when it came up again 10 year later, we reached out to Matchstic. We contacted a few others too, but really wanted to work with Matchstic because everything meshed.

Their style and creativity align with ours. We felt like our personalities matched and that they could think outside the box and get us to where we wanted to go, which is more off-the-wall compared to other architectural firms.

We spent below $200,000.

We started working together in January 2019 and we wrapped up in December.

The website is up and they’ve passed all the assets to us. Now we can teach anybody else how to stay in line with our brand. We’ve been able to reach out a few times when we’ve had questions. We’ve received great feedback from our employees. Because we’re a unique architectural firm, it better reflects who we are. The colors and style represent our owner, our company, and our culture. Overall, we’re really happy.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very patient with us. They’re a deadline-driven profession, but they really understood that we wanted to be different and took the time to get to know us. We had eight meetings before we saw any visual redesign or color information. They really took the time to get to know us and understand our goals. As a result, it came together beautifully.

We wanted to work with someone who could think outside the box and be different. Tey were the only firm that presented differing styles. Their presentation was not the same, and their product was different from other firms. Even though they came in at a higher price point, going with them was the best investment.

No, I don’t.

Respond to them quickly. We could have met the timeline if we followed along with what they needed. They have a process, and following that helped us get where wanted to go.

Branding for MedTech Company

"They are intellectual and take a very thoughtful approach in terms of getting clients where they need to be."

Nov. 2019 - Apr. 2020

Matchstic led a complete rebranding operation. After conducting an extensive competitive analysis, the team interviewed key stakeholders. They then developed a brand brief to outline the narrative and purpose.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Erika Nicholson
VP of Corporate Communications & Brand, Net Health

Matchstic played a significant role in determining the key pillars of the brand. They provided a great deal of guidance to all of the stakeholders. In addition to managing the tight timeline exceptionally well, the team's well-thought-out process was an invaluable asset to the project.

I’m the VP of corporate communications and brand at Net Health. We make electronic health records for a variety of medical specialty settings.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We hired Matchstic for a complete rebrand. We wanted a full, new brand story, framework, and conversation; not just new colors and identity. We were looking to rethink the organizational purpose and narrative of our company in the public space.

Matchstic did an in-depth competitive analysis, which was across different industries because we work through a variety of channels. They did interviews, led some question and answer discussions to determine insights from our stakeholders, conducted analyses, and gave us information presentations.

The team also helped us develop an entire brand brief framework which included why we exist, what we do, our personas, our audience, how we do our work, the value we provide, how we reach our audience, how we speak to them, and what our personality looks like.

They guided the conversation among my stakeholder group which included myself and three other senior executives at the company.

We worked with about five team members including a strategist, a writer, a designer, a project manager, and an executive sponsor.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

After finding out about Matchstic through word of mouth, I sent them an RFP. Even though they don’t normally do so, they responded to the RFP because they thought our company, its positions, and the time we were in looked like an interesting piece of work.

Our engagement lasted from November 2019–April 2020.

The team provided excellent guidance around determining the key pillars of the brand brief and moving us forward step by step. We got to answers that all of the stakeholders felt good about, which we considered a success.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

Their performance was very strong. We were on a compressed timeline with a lot of activity on their part and a lot of players on their side to get to the point where we needed to be. The team did a great job of managing the timeline.

This was the first time that I’d worked with an agency that doesn’t do marketing. Matchstic really just does brand development, and they’re very good at what they do. They are intellectual and take a very thoughtful approach in terms of getting clients where they need to be.

I loved that. They were exactly the right choice, so I have no regrets. Like anyone else, we hired them for this project because we knew we couldn’t do it in-house. So, there was a great benefit to having their process and intellect.

No, nothing comes to mind.

Having the top executives in our meetings with Matchstic was very helpful. This meant that I didn’t need to go to them after meeting with Matchstic and translate everything. My advice is to get the people you need in the room with the work.

They worked with us and kept our timeframe while juggling other clients.
    My money was well-spent.
    Everything was well-thought-out and well-developed beyond my expectations.
    I would absolutely recommend them.

Brand Identity for Managed IT Service Provider

“They just do spectacular brand identities.”

Jan. - Apr. 2019

Matchstic revamped a managed IT service provider’s brand identity that they’d done ten years previously. Deliverables included logo design, typeface, and general brand guidelines.

Mike Landman
CEO, Ripple IT

Matchstic excelled at creating a modern, clean, and simple brand identity that helps differentiate the IT service provider in the market. The team facilitated a collaborative project, involving stakeholders every step of the way and communicating seamlessly. They were organized and transparent.

My company is a managed IT service provider, so we basically support small–mid-sized companies for all of their IT needs. I’m the CEO and founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We wanted to refresh our brand.

We brought Matchstic on for a brand identity project. They had done our identity about ten years ago, and we wanted to modernize that. I reached out to Craig (Founder & President) and put together an engagement. The project included logo design and anything supporting our brand identity, like typeface and color. Some things remained mostly the same; we weren’t trying to change too much.

Matchstic went through and let us know what different collateral could look like, like business cards, letterhead, and our website. They didn’t produce all of that stuff; they handed the brand guidelines over to us, which we can use internally or take to another agency that does ongoing marketing.

There were four people assigned to our project. Our main contact was Cody (Project Manager).

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

We had worked with them previously. I originally met Craig through an entrepreneur’s organization. The reason we ended up working with them is that they just do spectacular brand identities. I know lots of other marketing agencies, but it was evident that Matchstic was going to be the right fit based on the work they'd done.

My company spent about $27,000–$28,000.

This project was from around January–April 2019.

With a brand identity, a lot of it’s anecdotal; do people like it, does it look cool, and do we feel like it reflects our company’s identity? I would say that’s a definite on all three of those. Matchstic took a brand identity that was great ten years ago and dusted it off for the modern world. We wanted it to be clean and simple and reflect those same qualities in our business. We also wanted it to be differentiated, so that if you were looking at a different IT company next to us, it would be very evident that we were different.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team communicated really well. We were brought in throughout the entire project. I think a common approach to brand identities is that the vendor goes off and then there is a big reveal, which I’m not a fan of. Rather, we got to iterate with Matchstic. They would go through 2–3-week rounds, and then I’d be able to go in and be a part of that so we could move on to the next round. I think that’s a better way of working; they’re just transparent.

They did use project management tools, but I wasn’t involved in those, as I didn’t want to be in it that deep. A lot of our day-to-day happened through a shared Slack channel, which I think both of our teams preferred. We had weekly check-in calls, and then every milestone had a call or presentation. We were physically pretty close to each other, so I would usually go to their office and they’d spend an hour explaining their thoughts, assumptions, and the direction they were going in, while also laying out options. They were very organized. To me, it was really well put together.

Their ability to get to the essence of the brand is their gift. From seeing their other work, I believe that to be true in general, not just for us. They only do brand identity, and that’s their secret sauce; I think they’re super great at it because they only do that.

Not really; of all of the service providers we work with, they’re the ones I never really have to think about. Any time we engage them for something, it just happens the way it should.

It’s very important to be serious about your brand identity and someone being able to figure it out. This is not the place to go if you want a small project or you want someone to do what you tell them to do. For instance, if you go to them with a design spec, they might do that, but I don’t think that’s where their gift is, and it’s probably not the best use of your money.

If you want someone who can really explore your brand, what it means, and who its constituents are, and then speak to those constituents through something as small as a logo and a typeface, they’re masters of their craft in that way.

They were always right on what they said they would do.
    The value for the money is as high as you could hope for, but they’re not inexpensive. They gave us a fixed fee, and that never wavered.
    I’ve recommended them at least a dozen times.

Branding for Environmental Program

“They were able to distill four years of complex work into a simple, compelling message.”

Oct. - Dec. 2019

After a successful discovery phase, Matchstic provided both visual and verbal branding components to unify a decentralized organization under a single brand. They delivered a logo, brand colors, and more.

Laura Calandrella
Collaboration Strategist, Keeping Forests

Despite not having metrics from external stakeholders, the team has impressed the internal staff with their ability to distill complicated work into a clear, concise message. With their responsiveness and efficiency, they enabled their partner to communicate more clearly with consumers.

I’m an independent consultant that works with the private sector, nonprofit, and government organizations that focus on environmental challenges. They hire me to build a bridge between their organizations and find shared values and a common path forward.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

I recognized the need for some professional branding and language around one of my clients, so I sought out their services and brought them to their organization.

Our client’s goal was to protect forests and address environmental and social challenges associated with that mission. This partnership has been working on a strategy to align the client’s 40 different partners. At this point, we’re moving toward being a public-facing association rather than continuing to plan the project. As we move toward action, we realized that we needed to cultivate a single brand identity that people could align with. They were challenged with creating their own central identity while allowing each of the 40 partners to see themselves in the brand as well. They were tasked with taking complex messages and creating a common, repeatable language encompassing it.

They delivered the visual identity, which included a logo, a brandmark, consistent colors, and other components that would be associated with the organization. We needed verbal messages to accompany those. They drafted us concise language that could describe the partnership as a whole.

We interface with about 5–6 people. I’m sure there were designers and other resources operating behind the scenes as well.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

I first encountered them in a monthly gathering for creatives in Atlanta. From what I’d seen, they’ve done excellent work. I liked that they were located near us, so we hired them.

We spent around $110,000 on their work.

We worked together from October –December 2019.

We’re at the beginning stages of launching the deliverables to the public, so we haven’t been able to track any metrics yet. However, the complexity and interdependence of the work we do in the environmental space can pose challenges for communication. We tend to speak at high-levels with a lot of jargon. They were able to distill four years of complex work into a simple, compelling message. That’s helped us communicate with people and those our organization was hoping to influence as well.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

They were fantastic at keeping a decentralized organization on track and engaged. Their team was helpful and flexible in their project management efforts. We asked for a quick turnaround, and they were able to provide that as well.

We were also impressed with their interest in our work. They did an immersion day during which they went into the field with us. Their questions and care were evident. That came out in their work and interactions with us. We could tell they were committed to making us successful so that we could make a difference in the world.

I don’t think they could’ve improved in any area. We ran into additional costs later into the project, but that wasn’t their fault. It was nice to have their voice in the mix during that time as well.

Understand the complexity of their work. They’re working to get to the heart of your processes, which can be a huge challenge. I’d encourage partners to think about the relationship in this way, instead of harping too much of logistics.

They kept us on track.
    They’re fun to work with and care about our work.

Rebranding for Regional Chamber of Commerce

“They’re a true branding house, so their specialized expertise sets them apart.”

Apr. - Dec. 2019

Matchstic delivered both a verbal and visual brand identity for a regional chamber of commerce. In their process, they conducted interviews and did thorough research to get a sense of the organization’s values.

Amy Selby
Marketing and Comm Manager, Cobb Chamber of Commerce

The team made positive impressions on the internal staff with their robust research skills and intelligent project management process. They had no issues keeping all parties up to date on the latest progress. Their team added value by clearly mapping out a timeline at the start of the engagement.

I’m the executive VP of marketing and communications for a chamber of commerce. We’re a business advocacy organization where businesses in our community can grow their company and invest in our economic development initiatives for the community. The goal behind that is to create more jobs and opportunities within the county. I lead all of our marketing, PR, and general communication efforts for our programs and events. My role involves promoting our membership to the chamber as a whole.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We hired them to lead our rebranding project, hoping that they would look at our logo and do a whole reassessment of our brand. Our team felt that our identity didn’t communicate what we were anymore.

As part of our rebrand, they led us through a process that made us consider our positioning at the time and where we wanted to be in the future. From there, they delivered a visual and verbal identity by conducting interviews and research to understand our organization. They also hosted presentations with our board of directors and project teams.

We had a core team of about five people. However, I’m sure there were others working in the background. Melissa (Account Manager, Matchstic) managed the project, and we also had someone for strategic direction, a writer, a messaging lead, and a designer.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

We were familiar with their work from years ago. My creative designer got her hands on a printed piece from a large conference they handled and found out that they designed it. We were impressed with the creative quality of that piece. When we did an RFP within our members, they weren’t a member organization. So, we reached out to them despite that along with some other firms. After going through a selection process, they were awarded the project.

We spent $70,000, and we offered them a place in our chairman’s circle that was worth an additional $15,000 in value.

The project lasted from April–December 2019.

We weren’t tracking anything specifically. I was impressed with their intelligent approach and the thoroughness of their research that allowed them to understand our identity as a brand.

How did Matchstic perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job. From our very first meeting, they mapped out the process for us. After telling us what to expect, they communicated from month to month regularly. Our project manager was always available and helpful. There weren’t any surprises on the way, even when we covered difficult topics.

They’re a true branding house, so their specialized expertise sets them apart. I was always impressed with their communication style and ability to facilitate the conversation with our large team. They had us talking thoroughly about our challenges. Sometimes ideas are in conflict with other ideas, but they were able to understand the sentiment behind each comment while directing the conversation in a productive manner. That got us on the right path for our rebrand.

Have a direct conversation with their team, keeping an open line of communication throughout. Understand what you want from the beginning to make sure you end up with what you want.

They delivered high value.

Brand Architecture for Fundraising Company

"The feedback we've received from the enhanced brand launch has been incredible."

Oct. 2018 - Apr. 2019

Matchstic developed logos, branding assets, and a brand style guide for a fundraising company. The team offered additional consulting services and marketing support.

Kim Englehardt Miller
VP Marketing, Booster

Internal stakeholders across the client's organization responded extremely well to the new branding. Dedicated and professional, Matchstic exceeded expectations. Their collaborative, detailed-oriented approach set them apart from other providers.

We are a school fundraising company that serves more than 3,000 elementary schools across the country with a character-infused fun run program and school spirit wear. We've helped schools profit more than 300 million for important educational purchases since 2002. I am the VP of Marketing.

For what projects/services did your company hire Matchstic?

We hired Matchstic to help us evolve our branding. We wanted to work on new brand architecture and an approach - we had a lot of different logos and wanted to move to a single brand look under Booster vs. many different brands.

Simplify our message. Make our brand look more current. The end result was a complete overhaul of all equipment used by our teams across the country, in addition to uniforms, sales materials, websites, social channels, etc. This was a very large brand flip for us.

We've worked on smaller projects with Matchstic before and enjoyed them and liked their work. Culture is important to us and they understood us and fit right in with our team. This alignment made the process a pleasure.

The project was to redefine who we are. We hadn't used the Booster name very much, we were known as Boosterthon which is our fun run program - it's a service, not the name of the company. We asked Matchstic to walk our team through a process to evolve our brand look and feel.

They started with a session to understand our current state and where the brand was, what we felt were sacred cows in the process, etc. They clearly mapped out the process they would take from day one and the first meeting and they did exactly what they said they would do. The end result was a new Booster logo, new sub service Booster logos, brand visual assets and brand style guide.

After finishing the project we've continued to work with them to ensure that we had their consulting as we began to refine sales materials, websites and more. They were extremely collaborative with us in this process.

We had 4 team members that we met with pretty regularly. From senior partner, project manager, strategist and a lead designer. They were an incredible blend of talent. And, what I loved most is since they understood us and our business, they were able to adequately challenge our thinking periodically and push us appropriately when we needed to be pushed.

The feedback we've received from the enhanced brand launch has been incredible. It's taken our brand look to a new level. What's also been remarkable is the sense of pride our team members across the nation have taken in the new look. The end result, while intended to be marketing-focused and setting us up for growth in the future, also infused excitement into our culture which was such an added-value!

Incredible. Not much more I can say here. The Matchstic team was fantastic.

It's hard to nail one thing so I'm going to share a few: Collaboration, Culture, Strategy and Care. I've worked with many agency partners and they are certainly up there at the top of my recommendations list.

Nothing I can think of. It was such a delight to work with them.

GOLD VERIFIED