A Brand Identity House

Matchstic is a brand identity house, founded in Atlanta, GA back in 2003. Operating at the intersection of art and commerce, we solve complex problems through strategy, creative thinking and smart design. Our goal is to help you uncover the ideas and emotions that drive your business—the reason you get up every morning and go to work. This passion fuels better thinking, better solutions and better design.

It’s what captures your audience, shapes their experiences and alters the overall reputation of your company. A good brand is more than the sum of its parts; it lives in our memories and follows us throughout our lives.

2003
  • Matchstic
    437 Memorial Drive SE Unit A7
    Atlanta, GA 30312
    404.446.1511
  • Matchstic

Adanu, Catalyst, Leadercast, Chick-fil-A, Innovation, Children's Hospital of Atlanta, Coca- Cola, Emory, Street Grace, Atlanta Mission

Branding Project Armour Yards Real Estate Development

"Matchstic did an excellent job of conveying the lifestyle of the property."

In order to develop a lifestyle-focused brand identity, Matchstic conducted an in-depth exploration of the audience, goals, and brand positioning. Deliverables included brand guidelines and all brand assets.

Managing Partner, Third & Urban

The brand identity created by Matchstic effectively conveys the appropriate messaging to customers and stakeholders. Their exhaustive process led to a sense of trust and comfort. While they lacked a background in the industry in question, their deliverables were very high quality.

We are a three-person real estate development company, of which I am a managing partner. We are located in Atlanta, GA, and are primarily engaged in mixed-use development in the Southeast U.S.

What challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

Matchstic was engaged to develop an overall brand and visual identity for a $45 million mixed-use, adaptive reuse project in Atlanta. The development is unique to Atlanta, and required a non-standard approach to brand communication. We sought to formulate an identity that was focused less on the real estate and more on the lifestyle and culture of the area and the community we are trying to create.

Matchstic led and in-depth exploration of the project, its goals and audience, and various potential brand positionings. Deliverables were brand assets, along with standards and guidelines for use, vision book development and other marketing materials, including leasing signs and other swag.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

We wanted to use an Atlanta-based agency that was focused on branding and not advertising. We also wanted a company that had experience working in upper-tier markets. Matchstic fit the bill.

How much have you invested with Matchstic?

The project was between $10,000 and $50,000.

Matchstic did an excellent job of conveying the lifestyle of the property instead of focusing on the real estate aspects. We have just begun to show the property to potential customers, but we feel great about where our branding and marketing efforts are.

What did you find most impressive about Matchstic?

Matchstic has a very in-depth branding process that they go through, which gave us a lot of comfort throughout the project. I also appreciated the strong follow up from Matchstic. They were very personable and relatable throughout the project, and that made them a pleasure to work with.

Is there anything Matchstic could have improved or done differently?

In retrospect, the process and the associated cost of the work was probably more extensive than needed to achieve our goals. Matchstic does not do a lot of real estate branding, which is one of the primary reasons we chose them for this particular project, so they likely did not have a great frame of reference for pricing and scoping the work. In addition, we could have been clearer up front about the real estate-specific deliverables that would be required, so that we could target those items from the outset and not require add-services on the back end. I would absolutely use Matchstic again, but would lean toward larger projects where their horsepower and depth is particularly beneficial and cost effective.

Rebrand for Mosaic (Training Consultancy)

"Matchstic is great at figuring out who your company is and working with you to draw out your strengths."

2013 - 2016

Matchstic orchestrated a complete rebranding campaign, including key messaging, logo, colors, web design, and collateral. Years later, they returned to refresh the brand and offer additional messaging guidance.

Seattle, Washington
Rachel Collier
Marketing Manager, Mosaic

Matchstic’s strategic vision was highly valuable; they were able to pinpoint areas of weakness and provide specific strategies to fix them. Although their pace wasn't always ideal, they helped uncover the best of what was already in the brand rather than imposing their own ideas.

Mosaic is a training consulting company. We do field operations training and enterprise application training in the utility, oil, and gas industries.

I am the marketing manager. I'm responsible for all of our marketing, brand collateral, and events.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

Our first project with them was a complete rebrand of our company. We kept our name, but we completely changed our logo, colors, brand, key messaging, and all of that.

They handled everything except for the coding and development of the website at the end. However, they did all the wireframes, design, copy, and all of that for the website. We worked with a vendor they recommended to actually code it and get it all up and running.

We're actually just now starting a new project with them. Last time we worked with them, we took all of the foundational stuff they created and executed it on our own. We've felt that we got a little bit misaligned with the brand in doing that. We kind of wanted to come back and do a mini refresh. We're actually in the process of updating our website again, simplifying it, and redoing some of the content with them right now. They've also helped us strategize some of our business philosophy, our approach and kind of define that at a higher level and give us some more foundation for our verbal identity.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

They were actually a referral from one of our employees who lived in Atlanta at the time and knew them personally. He knew about their company. We went through an interview process with about three or four branding agencies before we chose them.

I believe the initial project was six to nine months back in 2013. We launched the new brand at the beginning of 2014. We've begun the latest refresh process in just the past few months [2016].

One thing they've helped us with this go-around is getting internal alignment on who we are and the value we bring to our market segment. That's been big for us this year, just within our internal leadership teams and employees.

A specific example of that is we were struggling a bit in one of our business units. Matchstic helped us redefine our approach and simplified it back to its essence. I don't have tangible outcomes for that effort, but I can tell you we've felt much more confident in conversations with prospects and clients, and know that the changes are ringing true and providing more value.

What distinguishes Matchstic from other providers?

I feel like they listen well. Matchstic is great at figuring out who your company is and working with you to draw out your strengths versus bringing in who they are and imposing that on you. I feel like we've gotten to the true essence of who are. They've helped us uncover that without then trying to change anything about us. They figured us out well and understood us, which has been great.

Is there anything Matchstic could have improved or done differently?

The only thing I can think of is that sometimes we are ready to move a little faster than them. I assume that's because they're still small and don't have a ton of resources. I think sometimes we're ready to move faster than they are onto the next steps. But, ultimately, we're always happy with the output, and so it's been worth it for us.

They're usually on time once a schedule's been set.
    They stuck with the estimates. They're more expensive, I think. We've been willing to pay for it because we like what we get with them.

Naming and Branding for Ghanaian NGO

"It was amazing in a day’s time to be able to sit down with Matchstic and get to where we got in eight hours."

Matchstic rebranded a binational NGO to appeal to Western donors and volunteers. Services included coaching sessions, a renaming campaign, website development, and marketing collateral.

Seattle, WA and Accra, Ghana
Shelly Morse
Director of Development, Adanu

The rebranding campaign has engendered significant increases in credibility and professionalism. Matchstic pushed the entire project towards more innovative solutions while really understanding the cultural elements that made the brand unique.

The name of our organization is Adanu. We're a Ghanaian NGO [nongovernmental organization] and American 501(c)(3). Adanu was established 14 years ago by a group of Ghanaian people that wanted to go back to overlooked communities in their country and help communities build their education infrastructure through sustainable development.

I'm the director of development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Matchstic?

We wanted to keep the Ghanaian identity of our organization, but we also needed name, brand, and website that could attract Western fundraisers and volunteers.

The most important thing they did was to transform our brand. We spent a day with them in Atlanta, with members of our United States-based organization and our Ghanaian counterparts. It was after that session that they suggested we rename the organization, which before was "DIVOG," a Ghanaian word, Adanu. They helped us figure out all of that with great coaching and their expertise. After that, they came up with a few different directions the brand could go, and we selected one, they built the website and brand identity materials out of that discussion.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

I own a consulting company in Seattle, and we had used them previously to help us do some branding work for that company. We were happy with them, so when I took this position with Adanu, I thought we could benefit from starting over with our brand.

Obviously, our consulting firm had a completely different budget, but they were able to work with our budget.

It was $10,000 to $50,000 range.

I think from beginning to end, it was around six months.

We've had nothing but positive feedback with our stakeholders. When your organization is located in another part of the world, in a country few people have been to, you have to do something to engender confidence. For example, we'll often work with the study abroad programs of universities to provide volunteer opportunities for their students, and I think those relationships have only improved since the rebrand.

I think with the website they did a great job of incorporating Ghanaian themes and colors while still making it navigable for a Western audience.

What distinguishes Matchstic from other providers?

They're good listeners and have great energy for their work. It was fun working with them. They're very creative. It was amazing in a day's time to be able to sit down with Matchstic and get to where we got in eight hours. It was amazing that we got to Adanu, coming with DIVOG, which was completely not what it should've been. To get there in a one-day period was shocking. I think one of Matchstic's true strengths is pushing the client to think outside the box, but in a way that allows the client to maintain control.

Is there anything Matchstic could have improved or done differently?

The only thing I could say is that they were expensive, and we are a nonprofit. However, with that being said, I feel like we got great value for our money, and I would do everything the same if I could do it again.

Overall Score It's been great.
    They're expensive, but I knew that going into the project. I feel like the value you we got was totally worth it.
    It's been maybe too good for a nonprofit.

Naming for Quick-service Restaurant Chain

"The identity system that they created was playful, but it was also effective and sticky."

Matchstic provided naming and branding services for a flagship building initiative. The goal was to express the innovation that would occur within the new space while conforming to existing brand guidelines.

1,000-10,000 Employee

Sr. Director of Design, Quick Service Restaurant Chain

Matchstic came up with a name and identity that has stayed fresh over three years; the iconography is a powerful brand signifier. But the team’s key strength was their integrity: they turned down a project they knew wasn’t a fit for their skills.

We are a quick-service restaurant chain with locations throughout the United States. At present, we have approximately 2,000 restaurants.

I am the senior director of design. My team is in charge of designing our new restaurants and the remodels of our outdated locations.

What challenge were you facing, when you first began working with Matchstic?

As the company has grown, the pace of our design output has increased. In the past, we could design a restaurant and then just go around the U.S. finding two-acre parcels in open space and just keep building that same restaurant. However, with people moving back into urban environments, we found that we were having to do more and more custom projects, so we needed to up the creativity and volume of our design. To help facilitate this, we decided to build a massive innovation and design center, where we could pull all our people under one roof, and do what other innovation groups do, which is prototype. The only challenge is, all our prototypes are about 5,000 square feet, so it had to be a huge space.

Since this was going to be a new flagship building, we wanted it to be the best representation of the company in general, and our division of the company, in particular. This included giving the building a name that would set the tone for our employees as well as creating a culture that encouraged creative design-based thinking.

Matchstic's work included coming up with a name for the building as well as building a brand-within-a-brand that could represent the division of the company that was going to be based in this building.

How did you come to work with Matchstic?

I spend a lot of time in the Atlanta design community, and I'd been hearing about this little branding company, Matchstic for a while. I have a bias for wanting to work, when possible, with agencies that are in the Atlanta area because we're an Atlanta-based company. I first reached out to them to set up a meeting just to hear a little more about what they did and told them that I would be on the lookout for a project that might fit their skill set. When this came up, and we were trying out this novel idea of branding a building, I thought it sounded like a great fit for them.

It was around $50,000 – maybe a little above. We ended up asking for a few things that went outside the initial scope of the project.

It's hard to remember back exactly. I would probably put it at three to six months, something like that. We weren't under a huge time crunch because we had the brand and the name in place long before we were ready to cut the ribbon on the place.

Could you share any results from this engagement?

From beginning to end, Matchstic's work on this project surpassed expectations. To start out, their discovery and design process was incredibly thorough. At the end of it, I was confident that we had left no stone unturned, and I think that showed in the results of the project. I actually have shamelessly stolen aspects of their design process and have used them in our own projects. They ended up coming up with several names, but the one we ended up choosing was far ahead of the others. As soon as we heard it, we knew it was perfect, and it has received universally accepted across the company.

The identity system that they created was playful, but it was also effective and sticky. Here we are now, three years later, and as we talk about innovation or design anywhere across the company, I am 90 percent positive that anybody could jump up and start drawing on a whiteboard how we think about design, and they would use the same kind of iconography that was originally put forward by Matchstic. Three years later, the legacy of their work is still very much felt around here.

When given the opportunity, I've always told people I don't know how this could've gone any better. We're delighted with the output. Sometimes, you work with people and the output is good, but you didn't like the process or the people, and you just don't work with them again. That hasn't been the case with Matchstic. We've worked with them again. They've created relationships within our company, and they're doing much bigger projects than Hatch.

What distinguishes Matchstic from other providers?

I can't speak highly enough about the quality of their work and how satisfied we are with it. Another thing that impressed me, though, was their integrity. After the success of the naming project, we engaged them on a few other projects and, after getting started on the work, they came back to us and put us on to another agency that they felt was more appropriate for the work. They could have done the work easily and gotten paid for it, but they knew it wasn't in their sweet spot, and they wanted to give to an agency that was a better fit. I think that showed incredible integrity and only made me want to work with them more.

Is there anything Matchstic could have improved or done differently?

No. I think it's a very well-run company. If I could offer any advice, it would be what I was speaking to in your last question. Their work is so good. I would love to see it expand and see them add more capabilities.

I have a hard time being perfect.
    I've already done it.

Brand Discovery for Global Transportation Company

"What they produce, for the amount of time and money invested, is very impressive"

Feb. 2014 - Ongoing

Matchstic consulted on digital branding after a series of acquisitions that muddied the brand identity. In a situation with many opinionated stakeholders, they successfully clarified marketing priorities.

Jacksonville, FL
Melinda Byrnes
Vice President of Corporate Marketing, The Suddath Companies

Matchstic’s thorough research and business audit made them feel like holistic management consultants. Each member of the team excelled in their position. They were generous with their services and offered invaluable insights, but overall they were an honest and transparent group of people.

Please provide a description of your company.

Suddath is a global transportation and logistics company. We employ more than 2,000 people worldwide and operate in more than 150 countries.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the vice president of marketing communications and business development.

What was your goal for working with Matchstic?

We hired Matchstic to help take us through an entire brand and digital strategy project. We’ve recently gone through an extremely heavy acquisitional period, acquiring seven companies in the last four years. Our identity both internally and externally was extremely muddy, and we needed to reestablish our identity and what our priorities are as well as figure out how to externalize that in the marketplace.

Our brand identity was very disjointed, so in the first six months of the project they had to take us through an extremely exhaustive discovery process. We needed to clean everything up in a very short time span, and that’s where I want to give them the highest level of accolades. They came into a difficult situation where there were a lot of stakeholders, who did not always have the same agenda, and found a way to make it work. Matchstic's research process was phenomenal, their quantitative and qualitative audit of our customers and employees yielded a number of actionable insights for us.

In the second six months, we've worked with Matchstic to determine the brand strategy. We're in the process of determining the personality and tone of the brand as well as the external reflectors of the brand.

I should mention that sometimes their insights bleed outside of traditional brand strategy. Sometimes, I feel like I'm working with management consultants. It's fantastic.

What was your process for selecting Matchstic with which to work?

I initially heard of them because I used to work at the PGA Tour, and one of our sponsors referred them to me. At Suddath, we went through a very exhaustive selection process and talked to about 17 different companies. They were the smallest and were not local to us, so they had some things stacked against them. However, in the RFP [request for proposal] process, their content, and prior experience to back it up, stole the show.

The overall project has been in the range of $300,000.

What was the timeline of the project?

We started the selection process in February 2014 and awarded them the business in August. The work still ongoing [April 2015].

Do you have any statistics, metrics, or general feedback from the project?

Initially, I was a little worried about their size and capacity due to the fast-paced timeline we set, but that has not been an issue. For a team their size, they’re a well-oiled machine. They have stayed on schedule, and I give them a lot of credit for that because we’re messy, but they always keep us within scope and cost.

Their approach for us, culturally, has been very consultative, and very unselfish. Everyone on their team is smart, knows their role, and does it. What they produce, for the amount of time and money invested, is very impressive.

I think what they're able to get done, given the size of their team and what they charge, makes them stand out.

I just got the feeling that they were very honest. They’re not trying to trick you or your customer. They’re literally being their own personal brand every day, and they live up to it. They’ve been one of the best partners I’ve had in 20 years of doing this.

They’re very laid back, and that’s an approach that works for them, and that has made my group comfortable. However, sometimes I had to ask them to be a little more assertive, firm, in what they were telling our leadership should be the future of our company.

Brand Strategy for University Design Center

"They did a great job capturing the essence of who we are, and translating that into a visually appealing story."

2014 - Mar. 2015

Matchstic identified a compelling brand strategy and communications plan aimed at differentiation from the competition. Deliverables included brand guidelines, a new website, and a corporate identity system.

Director, Innovation and Design Collaborative

Feedback shows that the website and visual branding were successful. Matchstic was enjoyable to work with. The team excelled at capturing the brand identity and translating into it communications material.

Please provide a description of your organization.

Located in Atlanta, Georgia, we are a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology. We provide a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.

Matchstic was working specifically with the Innovation and Design Collaborative, a multi-disciplinary design center based in the university's main library.

What is your role at the company?

I'm a chaired professor, holding appointments in both industrial design and mechanical engineering. I also serve as the director for the Innovation and Design Collaborative.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you approached Matchstic?

We needed to set up a compelling brand strategy and communications plan for the fledgling design center. We were looking to differentiate the design center from its comparators, both internal and external.

What was the scope of the project, and can you describe the specific services provided by Matchstic?

In addition to all the research and strategy work they did, Matchstic delivered a new website design, a corporate identity system, and a brand strategy deck.

What was your process for selecting Matchstic with which to work?

Initially, Matchstic was referred to me by a mutual friend in the UI/UX [user interface/user experience] space. After reading through their brochures, website, and portfolio, I really connected with their past work. We have an internal bidding system that they went through with several other vendors. They were the best choice.

Can you give us a general estimate of the size of the project in dollar terms or personnel work hours?

It was between $45,000 and $50,000.

When did the project begin, and when was it completed?

The brand strategy began in summer of 2014, followed by the website design work; we just completed the visual identity portion in March 2015.

What were the results of the project, and are there any metrics you can share?

The results have been fantastic, and we are very pleased with the final product. We don’t have any hard number metrics but, anecdotally, we have gotten many compliments on the visual identity and website design.

When working with them, was there anything unique or special about them compared to other partners with which you may have worked?

It's a little difficult to say, as this is the first brand strategy project I have been a part of. But, it was a pleasure working with them. They did a great job capturing the essence of who we are, and translating that into a visually appealing story on our website and marketing materials.

Looking back on the project do you have any constructive criticism? Is there any area that they could improve or you would do differently?

Brand Refresh for Nonprofit Health Advocacy

"Matchstic provided tough feedback that we needed to hear in a way that didn't alienate anyone."

July 2014 - 2015

Matchstic unified brand messaging to focus on industry leadership. They began with discovery and implementing a brand strategy, then advanced to delivering visual marketing collateral.

Senior Vice President, Marketing and Communications, Nonprofit Health Advocacy

and offered constructive criticism when necessary. They weren’t afraid to share their industry secrets, offering extensive marketing training to bolster in-house capabilities.

Please provide a description of your company.

I work for a nonprofit that provides critical resources to people with arthritis and conducts scientific research for finding a permanent cure.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the senior vice president of marketing and communications. I oversee all marketing communications our organization.

What was your goal for working with Matchstic?

When I started with the organization, we were really struggling to tell our story. When you asked 10 different people who we are and what we do, you’d probably get 10 different answers. We wanted to unify our message and reposition ourselves as the core leader for attacking arthritis and its effects.

There were two phases to Matchstic's work. Phase one involved brand research, and defining a strategy for how we move forward to reposition the organization. This included building a messaging platform and establishing a brand philosophy that would be broad enough to represent our constituents, staff, and volunteers as they think and talk about our role in establishing a leadership position in the health advocacy space.

Phase two  focused on implementation, and really honed in on the visual aspects of the brand. Matchstic designed a new visual identity for the organization that we plan to implement companywide in the coming months.

What was your process for selecting Matchstic with which to work?

I had worked with Matchstic before at a previous organization, so I knew the kind of work they were capable of. I included them in the RFP [request for proposal] process, which involved at least 10 firms. We narrowed it down to three and chose Matchstic based on their previous work and the insights they gave us even in the RFP process.

Those figures are confidential.

What was the timeline for the project?

We initially engaged Matchstic in July of last year. The wrap up of phase one was complete by November, in time for our board's annual meetings. Phase two is wrapping up now, and we plan to launch the new visual identity soon [2015].

Can you provide feedback regarding the results of the project?

From the beginning, the approach that Matchstic used truly built collaboration along the way. Their project was very labor- and time-intensive, and one of the things that I highly commend Matchstic for is their ability to keep us all bought into the process. They listened to many different perspectives from a number of stakeholders and had to balance that feedback in ways that would not hold up the process but actually advance it.

At the same time, they challenged us in a lot of different areas. There were many processes and areas of our business, we felt were aligned until we started discussing things and realized that they weren’t. Matchstic provided tough feedback that we needed to hear in a way that didn't alienate anyone. That is a tough thing to do in an organization as large as ours.

All of these things allowed us to get strong leadership buy-in from the very beginning, which was critical to the success of the project.

Outside of their outstanding creative and design work, one thing that makes them stand out was their ability to come in and train our marketing team. It's the old adage, "You can give a man a fish, or you can teach him to fish."

I’ve worked with many branding firms throughout my career, and most want to ensure their future revenue stream, so they’re reluctant to share too much of their secret sauce. It makes us much more reliant upon them to build and develop our brand going forward. Matchstic wasn’t that way, and I was appreciative of what they did for us.

They're a smaller firm, and their account management is not what you'd get at one of the big New York agencies, but that's to be expected and was never a major issue.