PR for Emerging Tech Companies & Personalities

We work with a wide range of clients and technologies including lifestyle, consumer apps and gadgets, digital media, enterprise hardware/software.

We use this formula to achieve results:
Expert media training and smarter “press packaging”
Ensure PR is lock-step with marketing, search and web campaigns
Deliver strategic communications counsel on all-things marketing including social media, competitive challenges, corporate and product positioning, messaging and brand

Seattle, WA
    858.610.9860
  • Martin Levy Public Relations New York, NY
    917.747.8458

Public Relations for Professional Services Firm

"I have engaged with other PR firms over the years and always keep coming back to Martin."

2014 - Ongoing

Martin Levy created a strategic plan to build name recognition through increased placement in key publications. Content development and pitching is ongoing.

Juliana Stancampiano
CEO, Oxygen Exp

Name recognition is growing significantly. The increased number of publication placements led to securing a million dollar client. Martin's strengths are in his excellent connections and relationship-building skills.

I am the CEO and owner of Oxygen, a professional services firm in Seattle that provides human resources consultation and training.

What challenge were you trying to address with Martin Levy Public Relations?

Our goal was to increase the company’s name recognition within our industry.

Martin [Levy, President, Martin Levy Public Relations] and I met numerous times to talk about the business and set goals. He created a strategy to frequently place articles about the company in key publications, based on publishing content on a consistent schedule.

I work primarily with Martin.

How did you come to work with Martin Levy Public Relations?

I found Martin Levy through a recommendation from a colleague.

I have spent around $80,000.

I've worked with Martin off and on since 2014. As my business ebbs and flows, I'll put the work on hold for months at a time.

Based on an article that they placed, the company landed a large client that has since spent over a million dollars.

How did Martin Levy Public Relations perform from a project management standpoint?

Martin is not a strong project manager; it’s better when someone else on his team handles project organization and tracking. A combination of Google Docs, Google Hangouts, and calls are used to collaborate.

I am most impressed by their willingness to build a network of contacts in an unfamiliar industry, which allows them to secure placements in numerous publications.

Martin is tenacious, honest, gives excellent feedback, and knows how to build relationships with people.

Make sure to always have somebody on staff in charge of organization and keeping the work on track.

Don’t pay for services you don’t need. With Martin, I can pause our work when we don’t need it and turn it back on when we do.

Martin performs well when a project manager keeps things moving.
    They offer flexible pricing based on the work needed.
    They successfully delivered based on the number of placements.
    I have recommended Martin to others.

Promotion & Media Coverage for Business Book

"On top of great strategy and hard work, Martin Levy also brings creativity to the table."

n/a

2010 - 2011

Martin Levy PR worked on the public relations and marketing campaign for a book, developing a strategy that utilized publications, media interviews, and non-traditional methods such as peer-reviewed journals.

Jason Voss
Author, Asoapovo Productions, Inc.

The PR and marketing campaign was successful, bringing in over 50% higher than normal sales for the book’s genre. It received coverage in a huge range of publications, including The Wall Street Journal, and their creativity in finding new opportunities was impressive.

I authored a book called The Intuitive Investor and I was seeking to hire a PR firm to help in the promotion of the book. For the purposes of marketing the book and directing book royalties and the monies for PR, I formed a company called Asoapovo Productions LLC.

What challenge were you trying to address with Martin Levy Public Relations?

I was seeking to hire a PR firm to help in the promotion of the book.

Martin and his team began by reading my book, and then conducted several interviews asking me what I was trying to accomplish when pursuing public relations and marketing efforts for my book.

From that, they launched a comprehensive strategy. They identified different publications to have my book featured in and journalists they felt were potentially sympathetic to the message, as well as other non-traditional opportunities. One of the other things they encouraged me to do, which was very creative on their part, was to get published in peer-reviewed business journals. I ended up guest-authoring on many blogs. I had coverage for my book ranging from The Wall Street Journal all the way to websites about men’s issues.

I worked with Martin [Levy, President, Martin Levy PR] and Seth Geisler [Senior Account Supervisor, Martin Levy PR].

How did you come to work with Martin Levy Public Relations?

I found them through a friend of a friend. I had already been working with a PR firm, but I wasn't receiving enough in exchange for what I was paying.

The reason I chose to work with Martin was that they were hyper-engaged with the project and they were able to articulate a strategy which made sense to me. What led me to stay with Martin Levy PR were the results. My book is about a niche topic and I was able to get national coverage for the book in major business publications. I got way more than I had expected in terms of generating coverage for the book.

Their fee started at $3,000 a month and grew to $6,000 a month. I spent between $90,000 and $100,000 with them over the course of the relationship, which was 13 or 14 months in total.

I worked with them in 2010 and 2011. On my personal website, I direct all inquiries to them, but I don’t pay them on retainer anymore. They kindly will still funnel media requests to me that are in the orbit of what I like to talk about. It’s a loose, casual relationship.

It was a very comprehensive strategy and yet at the same time specific and crafted for my book. I was interested in media coverage, which I thought would drive book sales. We got coverage within certain ideal publications.

Secondly, I wanted the book to sell better than the average business book. I sold 50% more copies than the average business book.

I communicated with them daily and each morning I would receive PR opportunities from them that they thought were worthwhile. I would get progress reports from them about longer-term strategies.

We had a twice per week call during which they directed me to what editors or publications wanted from me. They would edit my articles so that they better reached the tone and voice that the editors wanted and what the audience expected from that kind of a publication. They would also provide feedback on press interviews.

Martin has a matrix strategy which is designed to identify publications and journalists at those publications to target but then it also includes non-traditional approaches such as securing new columns or articles you can write. They would give progress reports on each of the squares in that matrix. I thought that strategy was essential to my engagement with them just because it made sense to me. It helped with the transparency.

They really go out of their way to understand the project that they’re working on. They actually do the work as described, compared to other PR firms I’ve worked with.

On top of great strategy and hard work, Martin Levy also brings creativity to the table. It was creative that they posted about me in scientific journals and through that effort, my engagement with the public ranged massively.

I can’t think of any. I still hold MLPR as the gold standard for what’s possible with PR. I was extraordinarily pleased with what I received.

Overall Score For all the reasons discussed before, and for the continued support of my work.
    In the 40 or so media engagements, there was one that we extended by 2 or 3 days.
  • N/A Cost
    I can only comment on value, which I thought was appropriate. I got what I wanted out of the relationship.
    For their comprehensive matrix strategy, their ability to deliver on strategy, and their level of creativity.
    I have recommended them to friends and organizations.

Full-Service Public Relations for Software Company

"They were very strategic, very creative, and always delivered results."

Aug. 2013 - June 2016

For two companies looking to promote new software solutions to the marketplace, Martin Levy PR used their long-standing reputation with the press and media to create interest and boost awareness.

5,001-10,000 Employees

David Clark
VP of Marketing, SDL

Martin Levy PR has a strong work ethic that is unmatched by other PR firms. They will do the hard work, delivering creative and strategic solutions while conducting traditional outreach to the press and target audiences.

I'm the CEO of PowerIT. We are a consumer battery company creating solutions for recharging portable devices. I hired Martin Levy PR when I was VP of Marketing at SDL, a publicly traded UK-based software company. I also hired Martin in my role at Blab which is a predictive analytics and software company selling into the media market.

What challenge were you trying to address with Martin Levy PR?

I hired Martin and his team for full-service public relations and interest-creating activities, including the development of strategic plans all the way through to their execution. In both of the companies that I worked at with Martin Levy PR, we were introducing new software solutions to the marketplace so creating interest and awareness was critical with our target audience who were usually brand marketers or tech marketers. We used Martin Levy for our database PR activities and for when we did press tours in New York and elsewhere around the country.

Their process starts with creating a strategic plan which can take up to three weeks depending on the complexity of the challenge. Then very specific milestones are put in place as well as an execution plan around those milestones. Then they just get busy and do the work.

It's a very straightforward and traditional process, but the team at Martin Levy PR offers a great deal of creativity and strategic thinking to the process. They also have the ability to execute. I've worked with other firms that bring a lot of creativity to the table but they simply don't have the ability to execute. Martin Levy did a really good job of selling the story and creating opportunities for us which really stood out to me given the other firms I've worked with.

I primarily worked with Martin Levy, Seth, and Luke.

How did you come to work with Martin Levy PR?

The reason I hired them the first time was because I suspected that they would be an aggressive PR company that could take a net new offering - one that had never been heard of before, with small companies that had never really been heard of before - and be very creative in their approach to media and aggressive in their outreach which is exactly what I found.

What distinguished Martin Levy PR from other firms was their ability to very quickly come up with a plan, execute on that plan, and pivot when we needed to pivot. We needed placement, interviews, and creativity in regards to how we used events and other activities that were built around outreach and interest-creation.

On average at SDL, we were spending about $7,000 a month. and at Blab we were spending about $5,000 a month.

We began working with them in August 2013. About a year ago, I went from SDL to Blab and as soon as I got to Blab I hired Martin Levy PR. Our partnership then ended in June 2016.

In all the work we did with Martin, we were always introducing a new product so we were starting from base 0. Everything was a 100% increase.

From an ROI perspective, Martin and his team were outperforming the PR firms in other divisions at SDL that were spending between $30,000-$50,000 a month, while I was spending $7,000 a month. We were getting more placements, visibility, and interviews with publications. We got more overall raw PR coverage than other divisions of the company that were spending more money on their PR efforts.

It was remarkable to see other VPs of marketing within SDL move from working with larger PR firms in New York to working with Martin.

How did Martin Levy PR perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed quite satisfactorily. They just got the job done, which is the ultimate test from a project management perspective. They communicated well. Our partnership required a great deal of coordination. Everything needed to connect and synch up, and Martin Levy did a great job at managing the press and our company to make sure we maximized those moments. We had a lot of mini projects that were managed very well.

It's the work ethic. PR is hard work, and I've worked with a lot of lazy PR firms in the past. Martin Levy is quite the opposite. They do the old-fashioned hard work of cold-calling and outreach, developing those relationships with the press so they can deliver for us. You have to be well-regarded in the press to get the kind of exposure that we got. Their good reputation with the publications, blogs, and companies we were trying to do business with really helped us promote our products. The results and the hard work are all that matter at the end of the day.

I don't think there are any areas of improvement or things they could do differently. There are certain projects that are so large in scale that they would have to be a larger firm to address those. From my vantage point and with the objectives I put before them, they always delivered. If my new company needs a PR firm, we will go straight to Martin.

We never experienced any issues with scheduling or rescheduling.
    The ROI I received from Martin Levy far surpassed the ROI I got with any other firm I've worked with.
    They were very strategic, very creative, and always delivered results.
    We were very satisfied. There's always something we could have done better together.

Messaging & PR for Software Development Company

“We got way more than I thought we paid for. I thought he provided great value.”

2011 - Ongoing

Martin Levy helped craft copy and executed wider digital campaigns meant to increase target market visibility. Efforts helped a startup break into a new market with effective messaging and content.

Dane Coyer
CEO, SpaceCurve

Martin Levy effectively helped the team to articulate challenging technical concepts—and publish almost monthly. Another major strength was their willingness to coach important skills, which positions customers for greater success.

I was the CEO of Space Curves, a Seattle-based software development company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Martin Levy PR?

We were a startup struggling to communicate messages about our products in an immature market. We needed to develop messaging that resonated and then push out related content via various outlets.

Martin Levy PR supported us to develop messaging and content, and identify our audiences. They used their knowledge and contacts to identify opportunities to publish content on various media channels, such as trade magazines or news reports. They also provided coaching to our team throughout the process and made other resources, such as a technical writer, available to us as needed.

They had a good process that they had clearly followed with previous engagements. Their first step was for Martin [Levy, President, Martin Levy PR] to get a general understanding of what we did, and translate back to us what he had heard and how he would communicate it. We were working on a very technical problem and he worked with us to explain things in broad terms that people could understand.

Martin spent quite a lot of time with myself and my team, and asked a lot of questions. We were lucky that we were able to get a lot of face time with him, during which he talked to us individually and in groups.

My primary contact was Martin. He also worked with another colleague.

How did you come to work with Martin Levy?

Martin came to us through personal contacts and local recommendations. We interviewed 2–3 different organizations that did the same basic function and connected with Martin. He fit really well.

Through a monthly retainer we paid a total of somewhere between $50,000-$100,000.

The project was about five years ago. I will likely engage Martin in the future at my new firm.

We went from almost zero publications in terms of having our company recognized in the media to having something published pretty much every month. I don’t have a financial quantification of a return on investment but I was very happy with the results.

How did Martin Levy perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was quite thorough. They stayed engaged and they kept us very well informed. We had at least monthly status meetings, and some more frequently if necessary so that there were never any surprises.

Their approach is practical and easily understood. Other competitors took a more theoretical approach, which wasn't as appealing.

Do you have any advice for potential clients of Martin Levy PR?

My advice mostly applies to those outside of the Seattle area. I recommend investing the time in early meetings (video or in-person conferences), which are very formative for the project.

We set out a schedule for a series of months and accomplished those tasks without any surprises.
    What we receive for what we paid far exceeded my expectations.
    It was very high-quality people, high-quality information, high-quality management of his contacts and connections in the industry.