Hardware Product Development for Small Businesses

MAKO Design + Invent is a full-service consumer product development firm servicing small product businesses and early-stage invention startups.

MAKO was the first design services provider to pioneer this concept of world-class design tailored to small businesses, starting back in 1999.  Now with a 25-person team across 4 offices (Austin, Miami, Toronto, and soon Shanghai), MAKO has a complete in-house industrial design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, patent referral, prototyping, and manufacturing services.  Winner of over a dozen design and business awards.

1999
    Toronto, ON M5V3Z3
  • 1657 N Miami Ave.
    Miami, FL 33136

Prototype Development for Bracelet Clasping Solution

"I liked how diverse they were and that there was open communication between the industrial engineers."

Aug. 2014 - June 2018

Mako Design + Invent developed a prototype for a bracelet clasping solution. The team designed the prototype, helped with patents, and connected the client to a manufacturer.

Toronto, Canada
Alison Brett
Inventor & CEO, Clasp Magic

The prototype exceeded the expectations of the internal team. Mako Design + Invent consistently communicates with the client to ensure a smooth workflow. The team leverages their creativity and expertise to produce high-quality results.

I am the Inventor and CEO of my own company, Clasp Magic. Clasp Magic is a product for women, designed to be the complete solution for clasp bracelet attachment.

Clasp Magic works for 90% of clasp bracelets ranging from handmade to designer. It not only reduces stress, it helps women in their daily lives and is a huge confidence boost. Bracelets are attached independently and in seconds. Women ages fourteen to seventy love and use Clasp Magic.

For what projects/services did your company hire Mako Design + Invent?

I used Mako Design & Invent for: Design, Prototyping, help with Patents, and connections to find my Manufacturer.

My goals for this project were to design and prototype my idea. Then, use the prototype to go into manufacturing. I wanted a product that was ready for store shelves.

Back in June 2014, I was a mother with three young children. One afternoon, I decided to try and call local companies to see if I could find a good company to work with. Mako was the only company where I spoke with a receptionist right away and also spoke with the VP on that first call. I had such a good first impression, I went on to give my free consultation a few weeks later.

First, we completed the design phase. This took approximately three months. I attended in person meetings monthly and approved all drawings.

Next, we entered the prototyping phase. This took 12 months. I attended monthly meetings and approved other steps via email. I was put in touch with Patent Lawyers to obtain my desired patents. Finally, Mako helped connect me with a trusted manufacturer in China. I am still working with this manufacturer today.

My project team had about four people. Over the course of the years, there were a few staff changes.

I know that I would not be where I am today with my product without Mako Design and Invent. When I had my final working prototype I had meetings with outside retailers. They were so impressed with the quality of my prototype, I was told more than once how great it was.

Also, I am now a mother with four children. I am very thankful for the manufacturers I was put in touch with. I visited them in November 2018 and they have been wonderful to work with. I would never have had the confidence or the time to go and find one on my own.

Plus, working with an overseas manufacturer, I was more confident entering my contract knowing that they had an established relationship with Mako. This helped me trust them and to manufacture my first production run.

Project management was good. I had two different managers over the course of my four years. Delays were communicated and I would communicate either by phone or in person for bigger decisions during the process. Email communication was frequent and all major changes were made with adequate testing and in person.

I liked how diverse they were and that there was open communication between the industrial engineers. They would often bounce ideas off each other - I was always confident I would get to my desired end point.

I would say that I was not fond of using email communication... there is a chance of misinterpretation. I only used email communication during my box design and think it would have been more efficient to have used Skype calls. I was very happy with my experience with Mako and would highly recommend them!

Overall Score Would work with Mako Invent & Design all over again!
    I never had any issues here - I scheduled in person meetings and phone calls as needed.
    I found this expensive, but I did work with them for a long period of time... you cannot get to my stage without investing money.
    From my prototype to my first sample, I was very impressed with everything. I received all of the Patents I filed for.
    Very likely and I receive inquiries regularly and I email all potential clients back.