We make your product come true.

Lunar Logic is a web development company specializing in Ruby, JavaScript and mobile technologies. While we care deeply about craftsmanship – it is one of the crucial attitudes we look for when hiring – that’s not what make us different. Our biggest differentiator is how far we take transparency.

There’s no professional relationship that will last in the long run without trust, and transparency is the best way to build trust.

Therefore, transparency is the cornerstone of how we work. We deliver features to our clients’ target environments as soon as they are finished, as frequently as daily, so our clients know exactly how their project is progressing.

Even if it means less work for us in the short term, we regularly advise our clients to send us less work than they initially plan to when it's less risky and more cost effective for them to validate their business idea with a smaller feature set.

Our teams are made up of software developers, graphic designers, UX experts and testers. These project teams work collaboratively and the result is less rework and better results, e.g. we discourage doing design upfront, etc. We also expect our clients to be involved in this daily collaboration because short feedback loops help us deliver products that customers love.

Lunar Logic operates as a fully self-organized company, i.e. there are no managers or formal leaders. This means that even strategic decisions are made collectively. Everyone has huge autonomy and contextually acts as a leader. This results in motivated and effective project teams that step in whenever an issue needs to be addressed.

2004
Krakow, Poland
  • Lunar Logic
    al. Krasinskiego 17/3
    Krakow 31-111
    Poland
    +48 12 430 22 88

Philips, PaddyPower, United Nations.

Custom Rails Development for Public Policy Non-Profit Organization

"They would really go out of their way to make strategic or process-related suggestions that would reduce costs."

Lunar Logic manages development and customization for a European environmental non-profit’s Rails website. The team initially provided general support, but has evolved into website upgrades.

Principal Policy Analyst, Public Policy Non-Profit Organization

The upgraded website has been greatly improved and internal staff has complimented new features. Lunar Logic worked to ensure they could do the project at pro bono rates, which was vital to the continued relationship. The team excels at explaining development in layman’s terms.

We are a small, but long-lasting research organization, a think tank related to European environmental policy. We are a not-for-profit organization – that's important – and we're independent. Our funding base is quite broad, and project related as well. This is who we are and what defines us. It also kind of links to what I have to say about Lunar Logic as well and how they have been working with us in the past.

I am a principal policy analyst. I work on issues related to diversity and technology services.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Lunar Logic?

The reason why I work with Lunar Logic is, even though I am a research analyst primarily, we don't really have a communications person here. Because we're a small institution and not-for-profit, we have to conduct research and manage other internal tasks. I took over the planning and coordination of our communications earlier this year. But, it was my predecessor who then first initiated the contact with Lunar Logic based on a recommendation. I don't know much more than that.

In a way, when I took over the coordination role, I inherited the contact with Lunar Logic as well from my predecessor. Initially, they were brought in to help us to maintain the web page, so to fix things that we wanted to be fixed, which we couldn't do ourselves as web managers, and help us with the glitches and things on the web page. It was on a case-by-case basis kind of support. They provided support when we didn't know what to do ourselves. That was the initial engagement with Lunar Logic.

My predecessor had a rather positive experience worked with Lunar Logic, saying that they were very approachable, responsive, and helpful. Building on that, when I took over, we've run into problems and we contacted Lunar Logic. They were lovely, helpful, and quick to respond as well, so we continued using their support services. Eventually, they recommended that we revamp our website and implement some large upgrades.

Since we're a not-for-profit organization and we didn't have tons of money, we've been exploring with Lunar Logic as to whether they could help us to redesign the website – the framework – for managing it as a pro bono inter-capacity building kind of work. This way, we would work together in the future. That's been the plan.

Also on the back of that, we've now had Lunar Logic working with us to design a web page for a project that we are running and leading, a European Union-level project. They did the design for us and will help to manage it in the upcoming five years or so. Then, they've also helped us to design a small micro-site within our own larger presence. Usually, we have two people who work with us although, most recently, we've had a more junior person who has been supported by a more senior person.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

How things came to be was that we got our original web developer, he referred us to Lunar Logic and recommended them to work on the type of page we have and the type of framework that we have on that page. That's how we got in touch with Lunar Logic in the first place.

The reason why we went with them is because they use a specific coding framework called Ruby on Rails, which is what we have our site built with. But, none of us here are very familiar with web development, per se. We understand more and more, but we understand the basics and we've also had things explained by Lunar Logic. So, they've been very helpful to try to make us understand what the problems are, to see what needs to be done, and what they suggest could be done.

I can tell you what we've been doing this year, but that doesn't really reflect the previous year. This year it would be something along the lines of €15,000 to €20,000 [approximately $17,000 to $22,500]. That's because there was actually a significant web page development as part of it, and there's been work on top of that. Usually, it has been less, in the past. I would imagine it would have been definitely less than €5,000 [$5,650] per year.

The relationship is ongoing.

Not really. I think our firm is kind of small and the services that we need are rather small on the scale, so we didn't really have a process in our organization where we would be systematically monitoring our developers.

Our web page wasn't really developed by Lunar Logic in the first place. They took on the task to help to manage it. That brought us the need and the idea that we need to revamp the site because it was difficult for them to control it and it was difficult for us to work on it. I can't really provide any feedback on their development work because they haven't built anything new on our site – just worked on fixes and process related things.

As for the other site, which they have developed, it's very recent. It's only been live since July [2015]. There is no feedback to share yet, even qualitative from the user's side, apart from our own. Our own team, who works on the project, has found it to be a definite major improvement from the previous site. My colleagues have said to me it requires some basic knowledge of HTML, which is new to us. Of course, they also said that when you understand and get your head around that, it will be easy to use, and you'll be able to do much more with the design they have provided us for this new project-related website than we have been able to do with our previous organization's website.

We are, with our future plans with them, kind of coming towards the point now for this project-related website to transition the same services to the organization's main website. I think the only comment from my colleagues who have been using the new website has been that there's a certain understanding required before you'll be able to benefit fully from the improvements that they have implemented.

How did Lunar Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

In terms of actually working with them and coordinating work with them, it's been very nice. They're very responsive and also very helpful.

What distinguishes Lunar Logic from other providers?

I haven't worked with any other provider before, so I can't really reflect in that respect. But one thing I wanted to mention is that, with my little experience, we've been pleasantly surprised how well Lunar Logic can, in a way, dumb things down for us, and explain things, and options and what is involved. Therefore, nobody's lost on how things work, and what is possible and what is impossible. I've been personally very happily surprised with that, so the communication has been relatively painless.

We also appreciate the fact that they understood our limitations as a not-for-profit. They really understood that, as a small organization, our budget is very inflexible. We can't just come up with more money. They would really go out of their way to make strategic or process-related suggestions that would reduce costs. For example, some of their junior people might make things last longer, but bring the cost down.

Is there anything Lunar Logic could have improved or done differently?

The only thing that comes to mind in a way is that I see that they are quick to respond, and we've had a nice organic dialogue with them. In the context of the web design that they did for us, there was a little bit of misunderstanding in the communications between our coordinator and Lunar Logic. So there was a bit of a back-and-forth and things weren't quite happening, messages not getting through, but that has varied depending on who we've worked with. Some people at Lunar Logic can better understand what we non-IT [information technology] people are trying to say. There's been a little bit of that, but not to the extent that it would have resulted in us not working with them.

Rails Developed MVP for Video Gaming Startup

"They've been very easy to work with, and I'm very confident in their abilities."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Lunar Logic is creating a social network MVP for gaming professionals. The project uses Ruby on Rails and an Agile management methodology to develop a functional backend and design an engaging frontend.

Kuwait
Founder & CEO, Video Gaming Startup

The prototype is of satisfactory quality for an initial design, and is currently in beta testing, receiving mostly positive feedback. Lunar Logic is both responsive and flexible. They show that they are partners in brainstorming and solving challenges.

My company is a startup and it's focused on creating an online platform, a kind of social network, that allows professionals in the gaming industry such as developers, designers, writers, publicists, and others, to create a portfolio and share their talents with others. The concept is to allow people to find the talent they need to develop, market, and sell their video games successfully.

I'm the owner and founder.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address with Lunar Logic?

I'm a Ruby on Rails developer myself, so I knew that I wanted the platform created using that. At the time, personal issues prevented me from dedicating the necessary time to creating the platform by myself, so I decided that I would find an outsourced partner that could build the functional prototype for me. I wanted to get the MVP [minimum viable product] to the beta test phase as soon as possible, so I could figure out and hone the features and interface design.

The project is still ongoing. We just moved into a closed beta test last week, which is invitation only. They've been responsible for building the functional back-end as well as the front-end design work. They've worked in close collaboration with me, using an agile development method. We have daily meetings during which we discuss what tasks need to be completed, how to prioritize them, and bounce some ideas off one another. Right now, I have a dedicated team composed of two senior Ruby on Rails developers, a front-end designer, and one QA [quality assurance] specialist. I manage the team myself using the Kanban methodology.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

I found them through online research. Like I said, I was explicitly looking for outsourced developers that had a lot of experience using Ruby on Rails. I came across Lunar Logic and a handful of others, but after contacted each and having a few interviews and looking at their previous work, it was clear to me that Lunar logic would probably be the best fit.

We began the development back in mid-April, and we just moved into phase 1 beta testing last week. We'll be working together in the future to improve the design and functionalities of the platform.

Could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback from this project?

It's a little early to have any significant metrics, especially since it's a closed beta with only a small sample of users. Right now, we're just looking at the stability and performance of the platform and its various features. The feedback that we've received from end-users has been mostly positive. Several end-users have expressed real enthusiasm for the platform, claiming that it's, "just what they're looking for." We've run into a few issues with it so far. There's always going to be some defects in the first release but, overall, I'm impressed with the quality. They've been very easy to work with, and I'm very confident in their abilities.

How have they performed from a project management perspective?

They've been great. Lunar Logic has always been responsive to my requests, and my team is very flexible with changing requirements, which is a guarantee when you're working in an agile way. I've never had an issue with delayed work, and they always keep me updated as to their progress.

Is there anything that you'd consider unique that distinguishes them from other providers?

I've never outsourced an entire project like this before, so I don't have a benchmark for comparison. I can tell you that this is much more valuable than a vendor relationship. They're real partners when it comes to brainstorming creative solutions and workarounds to technical and business-related challenges. I've really appreciated that about them.

Based on your experience, are there any areas in which they could improve as a service provider?

Not that I can think of, I've been very pleased with their performance, and I definitely intend to keep using them.

What advice, if any, would you give to a future client of theirs?

My biggest piece of advice is to make sure that your requirements are fleshed out. You need to have things well-defined and be able to elaborate upon the business logic behind the technical requirements, too.

RAILS Development for Loan Marketplace Provider

"They don't require a lot of hand holding or micro-managing."

July 2013 - Ongoing

Lunar Logic provides ongoing development for a business loan provider. They provide Rails software support and development for a variety of contexts.

San Francisco Bay Area
Director of Product Management, Loan Marketplace Provider

Pivotal Tracker was used as a project management tool in this project, and the team adjusted to it well. Lunar Logic never had problems with deadlines, budgets, or communication. They excel at setting accurate expectations and working independently.

Funding Circle is a marketplace for small business loans. We connect small businesses that require funding with investors who want to fund their loans.

I am the product manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Lunar Logic?

We had internal problems with capacity. As with any growing company, there's far more work to be done than there are people available complete it. We wanted to create a roadmap for development, and that's when I reached out to a large number of contracting firms and then chose Lunar Logic as our trusted provider.

They are a Ruby on RAILS shop, and we use a Ruby on RAILS stack, so they have been involved with all aspects our web application. That's what they started with, and that's what they've developed over the course of two years. Originally, two people worked on our project and that later increased to eight. I think right now we have four developers working with us.

We manage the project ourselves, and they are primarily developers. I would say they are a mix of senior- and mid-level developers. We deal with quality assurance internally. My company does testing in development, so we don't explicitly require QA [quality assurance]. The developers themselves are responsible for QA.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

We were originally contracting with an onshore company, but we did not see big benefits from them given the cost. For this project, I only looked for offshore companies. I found Lunar Logic through a pure Google search and approached them with our project work.

We've spent roughly $30,000 to $40,000 a month, for the past two years.

It is an ongoing relationship.

The only KPI [key performance indicator] that we track is how quickly can we get software pushed to live and developing up to par with our internal teams. Obviously, delivering software in a timely manner is important to us, and Lunar Logic is good at that.

How did Lunar Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Pivotal Tracker as a project management tool. Everybody in our company uses this to manage our backlog. We didn't have any problems with delayed pieces of work, going over budget, or unresponsiveness. Pawel [Brodzinski], who is their boss, is a very open, very pragmatic person. They make sure that our expectations are set correctly. They're not a 24/7 shop, so if there are super urgent issues, they will still try to put their best effort into fixing something.

We've had a good working relationship. In fact, their two lead developers actually visited us and spent a week with us to try to figure out some plans for the future. They're very pleasant to work with.

What distinguishes Lunar Logic from other providers?

From my experience, Lunar Logic is really smart and capable as well as very quick. They don't require a lot of handholding or micro-managing. There was an initial fear that there might be communication challenges but, in fact, there weren't any communication challenges at all. The only challenge is obviously the time zone difference, but that's the same with every outsourced provider.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

I know Pawel likes to keep Lunar Logic small and doesn't really want to super-scale his team, which makes sense. But, if they were to put their business thinking hat on, then he would see that he needs to expand and hire more people. There were no issues where we requested resources and they weren't able to provide them.

Mortgage Platform Development for Real Estate Startup

"If you have an idea, they jump on it and offer different solutions for it."

Lunar Logic designed and developed a fully functional mortgage platform from start to finish. The team created custom features like a mortgage calculator, administration tool, and bank compatibility.

Zürich, Switzerland
Mathias Joss
Owner & Founder, Hypoguide AG

The project has been successful and has yielded positive metrics. Lunar Logic provided 4 developers who were communicative and who practiced great customer service. The team is creative, competent, and inspires trust in their capabilities.

We offer a mortgage platform here in Switzerland. We offer the best interest rates on the Internet, and the process is 100 percent automated. It takes five to 10 minutes, depending on how well you know the property you want to finance.

I am the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Lunar Logic?

The original goal was to build the actual platform itself with full functionality. We're still developing the website incrementally, and improving the calculator, but the bulk of the foundational work is done.

They built everything, the website and the mortgage calculator. I wanted a designer who worked exclusively on this website because developers are very important, but designers are, too. That was one of the reasons why we went with Lunar; they have two or three full-time designers, and that was important.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

I contacted different developers in Poland after discovering that the developers in Switzerland and Germany were far too expensive us. There are many suppliers in Poland, and I thought Lunar was the best and most experienced, so we went with them, and it was a great decision.

I conducted online research myself. I contacted them first with Skype, and then I went there to meet them in person. For a smaller project, I would have only used Skype but, for this project I wanted to see who I'm working with.

To go live, it cost 200,000 Swiss francs, which is around $208,000. In the future, I will spend $60,000 to $100,000 a year to improve the website.

It is an ongoing engagement. The biggest milestone was when we went live. Since then, we've made small improvements. We added landing pages and improved the mortgage calculator, added more banks, and improved the administration tool. Right now, we are just improving what we already have. We have two developers working with us now.

I don't have any stats to share. The results from their work are very good. I'm still getting a lot of good feedback from other financial companies here in Switzerland. Some of them are interested in licensing our product. I believe our product is one of the best, if not the best in the industry. Competitors tell me that we are a step ahead of them.

How did Lunar Logic perform from a project management perspective?

Lunar Logic had two developers and one designer working on our project at the beginning. After three months, another developer and a tester joined the project. I managed them directly, so there was no project manager on their side. We had talks daily to discuss what we had to do and what's already completed. We went over budget, but that's not their fault – maybe our quality standards were too high. If you contact them, they always reply. For example, I wrote the owner an e-mail, and he answered right away. Also, you couldn't expect higher standards for working with an outside company regarding how they communicate with clients via Google Hangouts, and Skype. I think the way they deal with customers is great.

What distinguishes Lunar Logic from other providers?

After a few weeks, you feel like you're part of their team, and you have confidence in Lunar Logic. They're very creative. If you have an idea, they jump on it and offer different solutions for it. They don't just do what you tell them – they think about what they do.

No, I'm really satisfied with their service. Sometimes, it takes a little bit longer to finish things than they estimate. I think that's normal, regardless of who you work with. Most companies are not always able to fulfill the deadline, so I don't think that's a Lunar Logic problem. It's also not a problem if you don't have a really strict deadline for something. They would deliver things ahead of schedule, too, so it balanced out.

They offered one developer for four months at no cost to me because they wanted to improve the coding. They told me that it shouldn't be my problem if they have to improve the coding for future work...Not every company would offer you something like this.
    Absolutely.

Custom RAILS Development for Entertainment Startup

"There were some critical pieces of functionality that they built, and they built them successfully."

Lunar Logic provided Rails development for a betting start-up. The team worked on general coding and architecture, as well as custom feature development.

Dublin, Ireland
Former Co-founder & CTO, Entertainment Startup

The team was well respected by the in-house engineers because they were able to deliver all project functionalities on time. Lunar Logic provided good project management tools and communication. The team became a valuable partner during development.

The company was a sports betting startup.

I was the co-founder and CTO [chief technology officer].

What business challenge were you trying to address with Lunar Logic?

We had a very small pool of Rails programmers in Dublin, Ireland, where our team was working. We had an extensive backlog of feature developments, but also general code refactoring and architectural work that we needed to undertake. We really needed experienced developers to collaborate with. I decided to outsource the job and brought on Lunar Logic after much consideration.

At the time, they had a project manager working with us and a test engineer that helped automate the test suite. The technology we used was Ruby on Rails, and we used some CoffeeScript and JavaScript. We collaborated very closely with their resources, mostly sharing the complex, more demanding elements of the project.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

I was looking for great developers and, one day, I came across one of their developers online, and reached out to him directly. I was really just basing Lunar Logic on the quality of the individual developer. It was kind of an added benefit that they were based in Poland, which was close in proximity to Ireland.

It was hundreds of thousands of euros. It's been a little while, I don't really recall.

We started with one developer in November 2000, and then worked with them for a period of a couple of years. We had maybe six to eight developers working on the project at its peak. The collaboration with Lunar Logic has since ended.

We had them working alongside our existing development team, and I think that because our engineers respected them and worked well with them, we were able to deliver projects on time, and deliver the functionalities that we were looking for. That was far and above most other shops that I've worked with.

Our end-users didn't really know that there was anything different going on. We were delivering the end product, and that's what really counted. There were some critical pieces of functionality that they built, and they built them successfully. They always got the job done.

How did Lunar Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

We started with Pivotal Tracker, and then moved to their proprietary product management tool, which we found to be very useful. We rarely dealt with delays or miscommunications of any sort.

What distinguishes Lunar Logic from other providers?

It was Lunar Logic's skill set, the experience level of the developers they were able to staff on the project, and their reasonable cost, that really differentiated them. It really showed in the results, and our team really respected the engineers who worked on the project and the results.

My advice is really to bring them in as a trusted partner. I think they work best when you're really playing that key role. I don't think that they are looking for the typical kind of staff augmentation types of projects where they're not a trusted partner of whoever's trying to get the project done. I think the results that they're able to achieve, come from operating in a trusted capacity, and I think that it's helpful.

We probably would have liked to have access to more developers than they really had available and, again, that's a factor of the quality that they're delivering. I understand it's hard to recruit such talented developers, so I don't have any very specific points there.

Overall Score Five, definitely.
    I think they delivered extremely high value.
    I've already done so many times.

Android Development for Environmental Advocacy Nonprofit

"[T]heir programmers tend to be competent and self-directed [and don't] require a lot of direct micro management."

July 2007 - Ongoing

Lunar Logic developed an Android and Web application that allows users to create advocacy maps. The team used existing wireframes and used an Agile development method in this ongoing relationship.

New York City Metro Area
Michael Heimbinder
Founder & Executive Director, HabitatMap, Inc.

The platform has had good download rates and engagement thus far. Lunar Logic provides competent, responsive developers, although there has been some employee turnover throughout the years. They provide a project manager but are open to diverse management methods.

I run a nonprofit organization called HabitatMap and, primarily, we work with schools and community-based organizations to create planning and advocacy maps.

I am the founder and executive director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Lunar Logic?

Lunar Logic built our application for Android, a Web app for Air Casting, which is one of our platforms, and a HabitatMap Web application.

Lunar Logic did the technical development for all three products. In each case, I already had the wireframes beforehand and together we worked to flesh out the design beyond that.

We haven't done any user testing or quality assurance beyond the feedback Lunar Logic's developers gave us. We haven't contracted them to do a large-scale investigation of how, the user might be navigating through the app, or how that might be made better, improved.

How did you come to work with Lunar Logic?

I've been working with Lunar Logic since 2007, and the owner of the firm, Paul Klipp, was running the firm. I met him through the New York Tech Meetup group. I had gone through a couple programmers who failed to deliver, and I was investigating others who seemed like they had a good track record of producing products that were similar to what we were looking to produce ourselves, but most programmers were simply too expensive. The cost was a key determining factor when it came to choosing Lunar Logic.

From the beginning in 2007, I would say it's somewhere around $250,000 to $300,000.

We still work with them. When we start a partnership with another organization, a certain component of the project requires the development of a new feature or feature set to support the work. That's when we tell the Lunar Logic guys, "Okay, Lunar Logic, let's do some work so that when we run this program, everything will be in place." That's basically how we work with Lunar Logic, and why it tends to be episodic and ongoing.

They do Agile development, and it works well with the way that our organization works. When we launch products, we know that they're not perfect, and we improve them in time. For the most part, the success or failure of our products is more a result of marketing and engagement on our behalf than anything that Lunar Logic does.

Air Casting has been downloaded around 13,000 times since it was released in December 2011. The other sites get anywhere from 50 to 100 unique visitors a day. Our other products share similar success and overall we're very impressed with the user adoption and engagement rates.

How did Lunar Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

I'm the only one from my organization who works with Lunar Logic directly and I do a lot of project management. When I initiate projects with Lunar Logic, they have a project manager, but I'm doing 80 percent of that role. I've been able to scale back their project management hours in time because I take on a lot of that role, and their programmers tend to be competent and self-directed in a way that doesn't require a lot of direct micro management.

I'm usually dealing with anywhere from one to three programmers, so the team isn't overly large. They're mostly very responsive, but it can be difficult sometimes to schedule development work, because they're often servicing clients who have an emergency come up.

As I've worked with them, we've gone through three, four, or five different types of project management tools. Right now, we use Kanbanery, which is a product that they created. It's a program that I like so much that I use it for my other projects that aren't even Web-related. The development methodology we used all the way through our collaboration was strictly agile.

What distinguishes Lunar Logic from other providers?

Given the turnover they've had in the years since 2007, I'm surprised that the programmers I've worked with have done a very good job of creating continuity, making sure the project is handed off from the person who is leaving to somebody new.

I'd say 80 percent of the time I've been able to work with people who are competent beyond what I'm paying them. A couple of times I've had bad experiences with a few of their programmers, but they've been responsive when that's been called to their attention.

Generally speaking, there is some ability to choose who you want to work with from their team, at their discretion. Lunar Logic gives its programmers some leeway for them to choose what projects they're working on. For me, it's been a mostly positive experience in terms of the programmers that I've worked with.

I think that having personnel available to do one or two days' worth of work quickly would be a huge improvement as far as my own business is concerned. Often, I'll have anywhere from one to five days of work for one programmer, and it can be very difficult to get them interested because of their other projects.

There's a certain kind of natural conflict when a client has episodic but not necessarily monetarily lucrative work and the programmers are busy with other projects. If you're only doing one to five days of development, it's not as interesting as doing three months worth of development. I think that sometimes it can be difficult to get a few days' worth of work done when they have other priorities.

As I said earlier, it can be hard to schedule them if you're doing a smaller section of work.