Design and Technology to Elevate Your Brand

Washington DC web design, development and graphic design company offering creative, development and marketing services including UI/UX, branding, website design and development, print, signs and displays design, application development and more

1999
Vienna, VA
  • LightMix
    1934 Old Gallows Road #350
    Vienna, VA 22182

Intelsat, Housing Assistance Council, Genetics and IVF Institute, Architect of the Capitol, World Bank, Silver Diner, Rolls Royce, University of Maryland, Nature Conservancy, UBS, Accenture, 3M

Web Design for Rural Housing Nonprofit

"We’re a non-profit but they’ve always had the most competitive price."

2011 - Ongoing

LightMix developed a searchable database using SQL to replace an antiquated version. They have built additional websites and provided graphic design services.

Washington, DC
Director, Rural Housing Nonprofit

One of the websites won an Interactive Media Award and continues to receive positive feedback from customers. LightMix is responsive, reliable and cost effective, though flexibility with modifications is an area for improvement.

We are a non-profit organization that supports affordable housing efforts in rural areas of the United States. We’ve been around for about 45 years. Traditionally, our focus is on what we classify as high-poverty, high-need rural communities. These include central Appalachia, the lower Mississippi Delta, the rural southeast, the border colonies along the US-Mexico border, Native American lands, and among migrant or seasonal farmworkers. I am the director of research and information.

What challenge were you trying to address with LightMix?

We needed to redesign a data portal website, specifically a customer-based website.

Initially, we engaged LightMix to update our web data portal. It is a free information resource that is supported through corporate, philanthropic, and public funding. In the course of that project, we also engaged LightMix as a graphic designer for a print publication. They started from scratch with the redesign. The old site was not usable anymore and the current web developer didn’t have the capacity to update it to a more modern system. The LightMix team took the original idea and expanded upon it greatly. Realistically, we only had a concept since the initial tool was so mired in the past that they had to start over. We now have a searchable database using SQL. The largest project LightMix worked on with us was the website redesign. They built another website from scratch, modeled on a very similar one. They did some graphic work for us as well, and we were able to have some level of customization on the site. The customizations are not radical, but they cater specifically to our product. LightMix has also been active in diagnosing some of our other products and suggesting possible alternatives.

How did you come to work with LightMix?

We were at a dead end with another company on this product, so I had our IT and communications staff investigate potential companies for a replacement. After discussing the project with LightMix, we went from there. It just happened that we had some parallel aesthetic products that he said he could do, so we asked them to work on those as well.

How much have you invested with LightMix?

The ongoing maintenance is not that expensive. The buildout of the first product was in the neighborhood of $25,000, with a similar cost for the other project. The design products cost another $10,000 to $15,000.  In total, we’ve paid between $65,000 and $75,000 for their services.

LightMix came on board in 2010 or 2011 and we started a deeper engagement in 2012. In 2011, it was more conceptual as we met and laid out a few things. We still work together. Most of our engagement revolves around updating and maintaining the sites that they have built. We don’t do as much design with them anymore, but we’re thinking of a radical overhaul of one of the sites.

The LightMix team is very responsive and very helpful with the sites. We’ve been very pleased. Unbeknownst to us, they submitted the first site they built for us as an entry to the Interactive Media Awards. Then they let us know that we won it. We won the highest award for a non-profit website in 2013. It was a nice surprise.

We get a lot of really good feedback on the website. It’s not earth-shattering because it’s not meant for that. We deal with small non-profit organizations so it’s not going to be something radical or trendy. The main utility that we wanted was ease of use and access, and it’s really easy to use and clear to understand. The problem was that there were similar sites built by the government that did somewhat the same thing. Our primary goal was to not make it confusing, and that was largely accomplished.

How did LightMix perform from a project management standpoint?

I have no qualms. We have 1 primary project manager who is very responsive. When we communicate with him, things get done. Our communication is always done via email so we’re not dealing with multiple people who we have to reacquaint ourselves with. There’s not a lot of confusion because we know who we’re dealing with. That’s been a positive.

What did you find most impressive about LightMix?

We’ve been pleased with them and have gone back to them. We’ve always gone back to LightMix after we initially engaged with them on some products. We don’t have any qualms. LightMix has been very responsive and the product gets fixed when there are mistakes.

Are there any areas LightMix could improve?

Sometimes, there’s a little bit of rigidity. When they build something, they don’t make many modifications. If we want to change something on the fly, they are not very receptive. There is not a lot of room for modification, so you have to build it right the first time.

They’re very good.
    We’re a non-profit but they’ve always had the most competitive price with a good product.
    They’re very responsive and we’ve had a good experience.

Branding and Design for Anti Fraud Company

"People definitely respond to the look and feel of the materials that LightMix has put together for us."

LightMix has executed hundreds of branding campaigns and continue to manage the client's marketing collateral. They also oversee branding for 2-3 company events per year.

501-1000

New York City, New York
Manager, Enterprise Software Company

Over the course of their roughly 10-year relationship, the client has come to trust LightMix with all of their marketing efforts. Their design talent and ability to deliver consistently high-quality work with little guidance is impressive.

I’m the content manager of a publicly traded enterprise software company.

What challenge were you trying to address with LightMix?

We needed someone to provide an entire branding and graphic design program for us.

LightMix does all of our design work. They do everything from our largest client event branding to small one-off projects, say a white paper or an email campaign. For larger events, we work with them on a concept and a theme and they come back to us with a few ideas. We would narrow it down and choose the logo and the branding. Then they will do the event website, signage, program guide, name badges, collateral. Basically, every branded aspect of that event is produced by LightMix. That's something we do approximately 2 to 3 times a year with them. Our largest client events have over 400 attendees each.

On a day-to-day basis, they produce all of our marketing collateral across 4 lines of business plus any corporate materials. That includes layout and production of white papers, brochures, smaller 2 to 4-page articles, that type of thing. We also have digital campaigns such as webinars, email blasts, and our website. Anytime we need a graphic component for that, we work with the LightMix team. They come up with a concept design and then filter that down through every piece of graphic articles that are needed. I've probably worked on more than 300 projects over the course of the 3 years that I've been here and I talk to them several times a day.

They also do the keynote address slides from the president of my company. This speaks to the trust we have in them as an organization. Basically, I give them a very rough outline and our expectations. They come back with great materials that I'm comfortable with, my boss is comfortable with, all the way up to our vice president of marketing.

How did you come to work with LightMix?

They actually predated me. We have worked with LightMix for over 10 years now and I've been here for about 3 years.

How much have you invested with LightMix?

We have spent probably $200,000 to $1 million on their services.

LightMix has worked with my company for over 10 years.

I think the best example I can give would be the events where LightMix developed the branding for us. The branding that they've put out for us is so polished and professional. It's something that we're proud to present to our clients, who are very senior level executives of large financial institutions. People definitely respond to the look and feel of the materials that LightMix has put together for us. With regard to the keynote address slides, I can put their work in front of the president of our company. Even the CEO of our parent company has asked to borrow some of the materials that LightMix has done. There's a trust element there that I think is important.

How did LightMix perform from a project management standpoint?

I have 1 point of contact/account manager that I am mostly in touch with. I'm managing the field marketing requests on my end and he's managing the work that's being produced by LightMix. Together, we usually connect at least once a day and prioritize or reprioritize as necessary. We don’t use any project management tools as we communicate mostly through mail.

I know that I often put a lot of pressure on them with last minute requests, although we try to limit that. They've always been super responsive and helpful. I'm always confident that they'll meet my deadlines. I do try to give more time but it's not always possible.

What did you find most impressive about LightMix?

For me, the biggest factor is the trust that I have in them. They know my company, they know my brand, and they know my solutions. I can ask for something along the lines of what we normally do and I can ask for something outside of the box. 9 times out of 10, I go with the outside the box option because what they come back with is always fantastic. Their output embodies the usually vague request that I gave them. I know they have taken the time to learn about my solutions and make sure that what they're giving me makes sense.

Are there any areas LightMix could improve?

Any issues that arise are on my end from the perspective of rushing things through and not giving Lightmix enough time – in those cases, we will go with something more familiar than necessarily a new look. The output is fabulous either way.

Overall Score I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I speak to them at least 5 times a day so I think we have a good working relationship. It's one that I've enjoyed.
    They'll let me know if something isn't going to come right when I expect it. They're good about giving me an ETA or saying, “Here's the framework of what I'm delivering today.”
    What they deliver to me is above and beyond what I would get at a lot of other places. The service aspect of it is also worth it.
    Like I said, they always go above and beyond in getting me what I need. They also give what I didn't even know I was looking for.
    Of course, I'm happy to refer them.