Full Service UX Design & Development

Left+Right is a full-service business strategy, UI/UX design and software development group with a focus on early-stage companies.   We pride ourselves on building scalable and elegant solutions that are user-focused.

Our team of strategists, designers, developers, and engineers have worked on hundreds of projects from medical/pharmaceutical to museum apps, to custom software applications in various and diversified domains.

Our approach:

Strategy:

The L+R team is versed in helping early-stage companies implement the most effective plan for business building. Whether a company is in the process of shipping a multi-tenant SaaS, a highly customized enterprise solution or going direct to consumer with a product or service, we can help.

Design:

Our talented designers are great at taking the findings from our strategy phase and creating elegant user experiences. Great design not only uses the right mix of colors, shapes, and functionality; it is also both empathetic and practical.

Develop:

It is during the development phase that our engineers become the heroes. They breathe life into the user experience and design using best practices like SOLID, DRY, KISS, QA, and automated testing to rapidly deliver the highest quality maintainable product.

Grow:

The longer an application lives in production, the more we learn what can be improved. No matter how well an application is built, there are always aspects to maintain.  We build lasting relationships with our customers, making sure technology is retaining its highest value.

Richmond, VA

(GRTC, VCU, Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Live Well Financial, Guidance Residential, Rx Partnership, DataLoom) DETAILS -  https://leftplusright.com/our-work/

Multiple Web Dev Projects for Design Agency

"Capable and creative, Left+Right is easy to do business with."

2018 - Ongoing

Left+Right built websites in WordPress and other platforms for a design and advertising agency. Using existing designs, they produced work for third-party clients. The collaboration is ongoing.

Virginia
Director of Operations, Design Agency

The new site achieved greater sales, more web visitors, and longer visits, pleasing stakeholders and leading to more work for Left+Right. The team translates designs into high-quality development work that meets time and budget constraints. Creative problem-solving makes for a smooth workflow.

I am the director of operations for an advertising agency in Richmond, Virginia.

What challenge were you trying to address with Left+Right?

We design websites and other digital items, and we needed a development partner to bring our work to life for our clients.

Using our designs, Left+Right helped develop multiple websites using WordPress and other platforms for third-party clients. The team acted as a partner and spoke up when they didn’t necessarily agree with a decision or strategy of ours. We appreciate their openness and sound advice.

I work with two people. They’re highly responsive to my emails and open to meeting in person when needed.

How did you come to work with Left+Right?

I believe Morgan (CEO / Managing Partner, Left+Right) had been a friend of our agency and worked with us years ago. We now have other organizations we can work with, but we’ve enjoyed working with Left+Right. Besides being smart and capable, they’re easy to work with. As a result, we chose them for this project.

I think we spent $10,000–$20,000 on this particular project.

We started working together on this project in 2018, and that engagement lasted a year. We’re still in an ongoing relationship with Left+Right on another project.

Our client has seen a lift in sales, website visits, and length of visits. They’re thrilled with Left+Right’s results, and so are we. Because of their success, we’ve brought their team on for another project that will wrap up in a few months.

How did Left+Right perform from a project management standpoint?

Left+Right has led a smooth workflow so far. If I send out an email, I know I'm going to hear back from them quickly via email, a call, or a text. They also let me know when I need to provide them something to keep the project moving. Left+Right sticks to their budget estimates as well, which we greatly appreciate.

Capable and creative, Left+Right is easy to do business with. They come up with innovative solutions to problems.

No, I don't think so.

I can't think of anything in particular. Left+Right excels at project management. I suspect that they manage their other clients as well as they have led us.

Website Updates for Transit Service Company

“Left+Right was responsive and quick to propose solutions to our needs.”

Mar. - May 2019

Having previously built the website, Left+Right updated three webpages and their connected backend forms for an annual event. They tested links and automatic emails.

Richmond, Virginia
Director of Communications, Transit Company

Left+Right ensured that event registration was user-friendly and seamless. Proactive and engaging, the team provided actionable insights and facilitated a smooth process, promising a continuous partnership. Costs were reasonable.

I’m the director of communications for a public transit service.

For what projects/services did your company hire Left+Right?

My company hired Left+Right to update several webpages and backend forms for an annual event we host.

We wanted to make it easy for event attendees to recognize the event, register, and receive information. We hoped that this simplicity would encourage more people to attend.

Left+Right built our website, so we use them for any updates or repairs that we need.

Since the name of the event changes from year-to-year, Left+Right changed content and tested links to ensure paths and forms were still properly connected. They updated three webpages and the connected backend forms. One of the backend forms sends an email to registrants, so Left+Right updated this content.

My team of three worked with two Left+Right team members.

Once Left+Right made the updates, the registration process was smooth and ensured that registrants received automatic emails.

Left+Right was responsive and quick to propose solutions to our needs. They thoroughly explained the process and helped us understand what information we will need to provide them with for next year’s event.

They quickly found bugs and fixed them. When they identified one issue, they proactively looked for similar or related issues. My team appreciated their reasonable hourly rate.

The improvement is on us, not them; now, we better understand the details we need to provide to ensure a smooth annual update.

Overall Score Left+Right was dependable.
    Scheduling was convenient.
    Costs were fair and reasonable.
    Their work was correct and quick.
    They were responsive and helpful.

Database Development for Pharmacy Nonprofit

"Left+Right is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about their team."

Apr. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Using Ruby on Rails, Left+Right created a custom database for a pharmacy nonprofit. Key features include multiple report formats and price calculations for both brand and generic medications.

Henrico, Virginia
Michelle Taylor
Director of Programs, Rx Partnership

User feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Left+Right corrects bugs quickly and responds equally as promptly to other concerns. High-touch customer service is a hallmark of their work. The team’s quality deliverables set them up for potential future engagement.

I’m the director of programs for Rx Partnership. We help free clinics with licensed pharmacies across the state of Virginia get medication for their uninsured patients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Left+Right?

We needed a new reporting system so that clinics can upload their data usage and I can export reports for each drug company.

Left+Right created a custom database using Ruby on Rails. Key functionality includes specific format requirements to import data, and five formats for exporting data. They gave us the ability to run 10 monthly reports as well as an order report. Because of their unfamiliarity with our industry, they spent a lot of time figuring out exactly how drugs are priced and calculated.

Now we're at the stage where Left+Right is making tweaks and developing new reports as needed. We focus on both brand and generic medications. They started working on one side of our company and now are extending to the other side. They built the database so the two sides can be integrated yet address their separate needs.

There was an initial salesperson who did the scope of the project for our contract. The majority of my work is with the two developers/programmers.

How did you come to work with Left+Right?

We first reached out to a company we’d worked with previously. They were unable to take on the project but they recommended Left+Right. We were impressed with the examples of their work. They seemed knowledgeable and able to work with people who don’t have a strong IT background.

The initial contract was $50,000. This past fiscal year we spent another $15,000.

Work began in April 2016 and the database launched in April 2017. They continue to work with us on updates.

Everything's been great since the database went live. The most important aspect is that it works. We're a small nonprofit so we really needed a solution that does what we want it to do and that works all the time. We had a lot of problems with our previous database. I'm very happy that I have control over making changes in this database. Before I had to reach out to IT to request changes, and sometimes they didn't do it. Left+Right makes sure that I’m able to make a majority of the changes myself.

How did Left+Right perform from a project management standpoint?

Left+Right is wonderful. I can't say enough good things about their team. It really feels like we’re their only customer. They're so supportive. They’re always there for us if there’s a glitch or something isn't working. They've been quite helpful in customizing the database to exactly what we need. We use Zoom for the majority of our communication. They also use Codebase so we can put in a ticket and then discuss the issue.

They’re a small firm so we get a lot of personal attention. They have other customers, of course, but they make us feel important. Left+Right listens whenever we're having an issue and then they move to fix it right away.

No, everything's been smooth. We haven't had any problems. The only aspect that was a bit complicated was Left+Right understanding exactly what we do. They figured it out, and we would definitely use them again for another project.

Make sure to give them enough details upfront. Not having done this before, I wasn't as specific as I needed to be about how we calculate drug prices.