The San Francisco Bay Area's PR experts

“LCI has a passion to find and tell the stories that help elevate your brand.”

Named America’s #1 PR Firm (Small Firm) (Ragan’s Ace Awards) and America’s #1 Healthcare PR Firm (Ragan’s Ace Awards), Landis Communications Inc. (LCI) has won 2 national Bulldog Awards and has been called “the San Francisco Bay Area’s public relations, marketing/communications and social media/digital experts.” Landis Communications Inc. (LCI) provides strategic communications, digital, integrated marketing, social media, media training, video production and public relations services and counsel to help businesses grow. TopPRAgencies.com named LCI the top social media agency in the country.  Celebrating 25+ years, LCI is based in San Francisco and represents leading national consumer, technology, real estate, financial services, healthcare, retail and business-to-business clients, including such blue chip brands as Walmart, MetLife, Whole Foods Market, Match.com, Old Navy, UCSF and more.  With its trademarked Promised Results© program, LCI delivers the right results that promote clients’ success to achieve their goals. LCI is the SF member of Public Relations Global Network (PRGN) (www.prgn.com), with 50 offices worldwide; David Landis is a Past President of PRGN.  Follow LCI: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest and Google Plus.

1990
San Francisco, CA
headquaters
  • Landis Communications Inc. (LCI)
    1388 Sutter St. #901, 9th Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94109

Global Alzheimer's Platform, California Bank & Trust, NBC Universal, Match.com, Walmart, Whole Foods Market, UCSF, Stanford Children's Hospital, Old Navy, MetLife, Brain Health Registry, San Francisco Symphony, OnLok Senior Healthcare Services, Cold Stone Creamery, EGreetings

LCI - Case Studies

LCI's case studies are here:

LCI - About Us

“LCI has a passion to find and tell the stories that help elevate your brand.”

Media Relations for Newspaper and E-commerce Company

"Landis Communications is a pleasure to work with. They're pleasant, and they helped me professionally and personally."

The client has worked with Landis Communications for various projects with multiple companies. The work involves conducting strong relationships with the media to curate hits with the correct audiences.

Washington, DC
Elizabeth Cromwell
President, Frederick County Chamber of Commerce

Throughout the duration of their partnership, the client has never been dissatisfied with Landis Communications' work. They are a compassionate team of top-notch individuals.

The San Francisco Examiner newspaper is a part of the Hearst Corporation. I also worked with Landis Communications for an e-commerce company called eGreetings.com.

What challenge were you trying to address with Landis Communications?

Our newspaper owned a very large municipal event called The Examiner Bay to Breakers race, which was the largest footrace in the world at the time. It had four times more participants than the New York Marathon, and a third of the space. It was a very complex event to move 85,000 people across San Francisco over major metropolitan streets. It required a high level of coordination with police, fire, rescue services, media, transportation, as well as hotels, and other tourism services. We decided that we needed better communication, both to the general public and towards national and international public relations because we were a national championship race breaking some world record times.

Bay to Breakers is the oldest race in the country, so it was a well-established and well-known event with a large staff. Landis Communications' involvement was almost entirely media relations and press conference work. They were very good at getting a lot of hits with local, national, and international media. They also provided training for myself and other spokespeople on how to approach the media and craft our message.

I was so pleased with the work done by Landis Communications for the race that when I changed jobs and became the public relations director of eGreetings.com, I hired them again. I believe that I was Landis Communications' first online e-commerce client. The firm went from being a small startup to an IPO company.

A big part of the audience we were trying to capture there was made up of not only the public but also the venture capital market. The ultimate goal of our public relations was to secure more private funding and become an IPO. We had to be very careful about what we said during that rollout, so the audience was quite different to that of the Bay to Breakers race.

How did you come to work with Landis Communications?

When I first moved to San Francisco, I had a background in marketing and public relations. As soon as I got out there, I heard about Landis Communications' reputation. I had an informational meeting with David Landis [President & CEO, Landis Communications], in order to learn more about what they did. It wasn't really a leap for me to choose them for our Bay to Breakers project.

The e-commerce project was different since we had a dual audience. There were other e-commerce sites that only cared about the venture capital side and extending their message to people in Sand Hill Road and Palo Alto, where all the tech money sat. We took a more consumer-oriented approach because we also wanted to get a strong customer base. Landis Communications would not have won that account if we had taken the traditional path of a high-tech startup PR firm, which they were not at all, at that time. I convinced my company that we should take a more consumer-oriented approach, and hired Landis Communications. I was very pleased with what they did for us, and, soon after we hired them, Match.com and other companies which were similar to us in size and age, all jumped on board with Landis Communications.

How much have you invested with Landis Communications?

Between my engagements with Landis Communications, I estimate spending between $250,000-$300,000.

I started working with Landis Communications almost 25 years ago. Even though we're not currently in any contractual relationship, I still call David Landis from time to time for feedback on specific items. I called him a few months ago about a recommendation for a PR firm in Washington DC, which I needed for a legislative issue. He put me in touch with someone I'm also very happy with. Our relationship evolves in different ways.

The metrics for the race showed increased international awareness about the event. Our participants were stable, but they were also maxed out. We couldn't put more than 80,000 people on that course, even if we wanted to.

Our second gig saw increased corporate sponsorships, due in no small part to the growing level of awareness for the company, which Landis Communications helped us with.

How did Landis Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

Landis Communications was great regarding documentation. Their monthly reporting was excellent. I've been elated with their work, but I wouldn't be qualified to work there myself, given how meticulous and timely Landis Communications' team is. As a client, I loved that, but I can imagine that Landis Communications runs a tight ship, so anyone other than a top-notch professional would move on from the company.

What did you find most impressive about Landis Communications?

What helped me with my personal growth was Landis Communications' media training. They were not only good, but also compassionate, and never made me feel bad about my limitations with being on camera. I do a lot of public speaking now, and I've had my television show since then, so I completely got over being camera-shy. I credit Landis Communications almost completely for that. They are great people, in addition to being skilled at what they do. Landis Communications is a pleasure to work with. They're pleasant, and they helped me professionally and personally.

Are there any areas Landis Communications could improve?

I can't think of anything. It's been a long time since I've been actively engaged with Landis Communications. Our more recent interactions were unofficial, but I don't think that across the years of working with Landis Communications, I've ever had dissatisfaction with any aspect of the partnership.

Overall Score Landis Communications has evolved a lot, and there are aspects of the business with which I haven't had experience in the last several years, but my overall experience has been amazing.
    Any slippage in our relationship was due to factors out of Landis Communications' control. They may have had to do with product development or issues with the economy.
    A part of the cost is related to the client too. If we have money left over, we can extend to other things to support the PR efforts. As a client, I didn’t do that. The return on investment was there, which is why I continued.
    I have found the quality of Landis Communications' work to be exemplary, creative, effective, and cost-effective.
    I recommend Landis Communications all the time to people from all over the country.

SEO and Design Work with Digital Marketing Agency

"Landis Communications has 25 years of experience, and they know what they’re doing and produce results."

2005 - Ongoing

Landis Communications works with Mannix Marketing to strategize their SEO and to implement a strong website design where their projects with clients are clearly outlined and outcomes are defined.

Norfolk, Virginia
Lisa Bishop
Senior SEO Specialist, Mannix Marketing

The element that separates the Landis team from other PR providers is the fact that they have experts in every field. Their communication is top-notch.

Mannix Marketing is a full-service digital marketing agency. We design, develop and program websites and then we can market them through social media, pay-per-click, and SEO [search engine optimization]. I am a senior search engine optimization specialist.

What challenge were you trying to address with Landis Communications?

Landis Communications originally hired us to help them with SEO. Through that relationship, we’ve done other things like programming and design work. We do their PPC [pay-per-click] as well, but the primary focus with them is organic search engine optimizations.

We work with keywords and strategy to get their website found in the search engines. We try to make everything they offer very clear on their website. Landis Communications provides case studies on their website where you can see the method they use. They brainstorm, put together a plan, implement it, and you can clearly see the outcome of the campaign.

How did you come to work with Landis Communications?

He found us on the internet and wanted us to do the same thing that we did for our company for him.

We started working with them in 2005, and the work is ongoing.

We really want to see his traffic, phones calls, inquiry forms, and business increase and they do. There may be a plateau sometimes, but our work is converting into quality leads for him.

How did Landis Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

Landis Communications is awesome. They return emails immediately. If I ask Landis Communications to do anything, they do it. Landis Communications is very involved in the campaign, and that really benefits the process. If the client participates, it helps the campaign as a whole. Their participation is incredibly important, and they’re the perfect client. David [President & CEO, Landis Communications] and Sean [General Manager, Landis Communications] are easy to work with. The whole team is enthusiastic about our program. Landis Communications knows it benefits them and they want to do their best to help us, and they do. I would say they’re one of my favorites. Their communication is the best I’ve ever experienced.

What did you find most impressive about Landis Communications?

Landis Communications has a very competent team. Landis Communications has put together experts from different fields, and when somebody comes to them and has a specific need, they pull from their employees who have that background. Landis Communications has 25 years of experience, and they know what they’re doing and produce results.

Are there any areas Landis Communications could improve?

I don’t have any complaints about Landis Communications.

Overall Score Landis Communications is the perfect client.
    Landis Communications is fast, prompt, and I’ve never had a problem with begging them to finish something. They’re always ahead of schedule and waiting for me.
  • N/A Cost
    I really don’t know because they don’t charge us, we charge them. Landis Communications works with non-profits and a wide variety of businesses. They can take on any size project and work within the clients’ budget.
    With everything I’ve read and heard, they blow it out of the park.
    I would highly recommend Landis Communications to anyone who needs PR services.

PR Strategy for NBC Communications & Freelance Executive

"Landis Communications does high-quality work and has great follow through. They deliver what you need."

For over 20 years, Landis Communications served as one of the main PR agencies for NBC Communications, as well as for Jennifer's current entertainment clients. The services they provide include event preparation, social media management, and curating media coverage.

Self-Employed

Jennifer Skorlich
Former SVP, NBC Communications; Freelance PR Executive

Landis Communications excels at combining traditional PR strategy with new technologies in the digital space. Their depth of experience is what sets them apart.

I am a freelance publicist that serves entertainment clients. I’ve worked for NBC and other big media companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Landis Communications?

I use them mostly for PR strategy. I’ve done dozens of projects with them.

The most recent project they did for us was for a local Bay Area Halloween event. Landis provided media lists, strategy, event preparation, red carpet setup, and press conference activities. Landis also trained our team in social media and other areas. They lead brainstorm meetings.

How did you come to work with Landis Communications?

I worked with their CEO many years ago. He’s someone I’ve come to trust.

How much have you invested with Landis Communications?

The projects range in price.

I started working with Landis Communications 20 years ago.

Their main successes have always been with behind-the-scenes strategy and providing companies with a great mix of traditional media and new technology.

How did Landis Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

Landis Communications is excellent. They document everything and keep us on schedule. They’re very easy to work with.

What did you find most impressive about Landis Communications?

Their depth of experience is very important because I think a lot of companies believe that PR today is just social media, but it’s more of a big picture challenge. I think combining traditional media with the new technologies is very important for a full PR campaign. That’s where Landis Communications shines.

Are there any areas Landis Communications could improve?

No, Landis is a great option for a variety of industries. They’re a well-balanced agency.

Overall Score I have never had an experience with Landis Communications where I’ve been disappointed. They’re very reliable and a great group of people to work with.
    Landis Communications is good at communicating and help us stay on schedule.
    Landis Communications is more reasonable than other agencies in my area.
    I recommend Landis Communications all the time.

PR Strategy for Senior Wellness Organization

"They don’t let us lose sight of our goals."

Aug. 2015 - Ongoing

Landis Communications developed the PR strategy and key messaging for the client to build a broader awareness, reach new markets, and establish themselves as an organization that accepts all cultures.

Roy Alojado
Director of Marketing, On Lok Inc.

Since working with Landis Communications, the client's brand recognition has increased substantially. They excel at clearly defining how the coverage they receive works toward the strategic goals that were set up at the beginning of the project.

On Lok is a community-based, mission-oriented organization that is committed to providing wellness and healthcare models for senior citizens around the Bay Area. We’ve been around for 45 years and historically have served primarily the Chinese population. I’m the director of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Landis Communications?

As we’ve grown, we’ve become very multicultural, supporting 26 different languages. However, we are still perceived as an Asian-only organization. We’ve been trying to break that image, so I was looking for a PR firm that would help us build our brand and provide awareness that we support multicultural communities. I was also looking for a firm that could help us establish our position as a thought leader within the senior care space. On Lok started a program called PACE, which is a program of all-inclusive care for the elderly. It’s part of Medicare and has been adopted in 32 states. There’s roughly 118 PACE organizations around the country and we wanted to take credit for our part in starting the program.

Landis Communications helped us establish key messaging. We’re a very complex business organization. We have different business units that serve different senior populations. We had to have nuanced key messaging depending on the organization. It was a collaborative effort. They developed a PR strategy with our goals and initiatives for the upcoming year. We needed to make sure that the plan they created aligned well with thought leadership and event support. They helped train spokespeople within the organization on the key messages. They made sure the staff we were putting in front of people knew how to handle themselves. Then, we executed on the PR strategy by looking for opportunities to build awareness of our organization.

How did you come to work with Landis Communications?

We did an RFP [request for proposal] across different PR firms in the Bay Area. We even reached out to national PR firms. I was looking for a PR firm that had experience in the non-profit space. We had used other PR firms before but we needed some education on how to use PR. Landis was willing to work with us to train us on PR. We could tell that they were a firm that cared.

How much have you invested with Landis Communications?

We have spent between $200,000 and $300,000 annually with them.

We began working with them in August 2015 and the work is ongoing.

The combination of brand advertising and the PR efforts we’ve engaged in has increased our brand awareness in the marketplace. Prior to working with Landis, we were number three in terms of unaided brand recognition in the senior care space. After six months of working with Landis, we moved up to number two. We moved up two percentage points in terms of unaided brand mention during the same time period.

How did Landis Communications perform from a project management standpoint?

They do a great job. Project management was one of the things that were missing from the other PR firms we worked with. We have more of a partnership with Landis. They don’t let us lose sight of our goals. We meet on a weekly basis to work on plans, make sure we’re keeping on task, and evaluate pitch opportunities. The San Francisco Chronicle approached them on a Thursday afternoon saying they were writing an article because of the election about possible changes to Medicare and the effect on local organizations. Landis worked with our senior team to come up with something by the next day as a statement for the paper.

What did you find most impressive about Landis Communications?

We really liked Landis Communications’ dedication. We felt very special in terms of the amount of attention we got. They demonstrated a lot of toolsets that would help us better understand the effect of our PR efforts. On an annual basis, they look back to see the amount of coverage we had gotten and how they aligned to our strategic needs for that year. This helped us have a clear understanding of the performance of our efforts.

Are there any areas Landis Communications could improve?

I think they do a phenomenal job. Any limitations have been because of us. We know there’s more we can do and they’ve been good at guiding us through the process even though we’re a challenging organization to work with. The opportunities they can provide us are unlimited.

They are very good at making sure we don’t miss anything. They’re accessible 24/7 for any questions we have.
    They’ve done an outstanding job in getting us where we are today. I attribute the brand awareness we’ve been able to build over the course of the last 1 ½ years to their work. That is worth the value of what we pay them monthly.
    Nobody’s perfect but they do amazing work.