Expert digital solutions for B2B SaaS companies

Koombea is a digital product development company that specializes in building world-class mobile and web apps for B2B SaaS companies. We've been crafting innovative digital experiences using our own custom agile development method for a decade.

Our proven track record makes us the ideal partner for B2B SaaS companies looking to grow their business.

Specialties

SaaS, SaaS B2B, Software as a service, Roadmap strategy, Ruby on Rails, Mobile development (iOS and Android), Web development, UI/UX design, Wordpress, React, Angular, Node JS, Shopify.

2007
Chicago, IL
  • 1500 North Halsted Street
    Chicago, IL 60642

Welltok, Aetna/Healthagen, WellMatch, Sendgrid, OpenEd, ACT.org, BetterWorks,VirtualPBX, Samsung, BMC Software, Motorola Solutions, Badgeville, Disney, eBay and Lean Startup Machine.

OpenEd: Personalized education resources driving success

OpenEd was growing and getting big in terms of users. Essentially they had five separate applications and needed to maintain them all while having them sync correctly. This was Koombea’s biggest challenge. The process and releasing of staging got complicated very fast. In order to minimize these problems, Koombea created one application that now holds all of the other applications by using a mix of Ruby architecture and a service architecture background.

Measuring results

OpenEd has received a 90.4% rate in user satisfaction and onboarded hundreds of thousands of teachers onto the tool. From a back-end standpoint, there has been an increased test coverage across all back- end services, allowing a reduction in continuous delivery times. OpenEd has also partnered with leading publishers for content, including Pearson, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, HLT, The University of Iowa, and more.

BetterWorks: A better way to work

Gamification

Engaging dashboards illustrate progress measured against OKR goals. Within the dashboard users can encourage or "nudge" colleagues toward accomplishing goals, and celebrate their achievement. Gamifying results focuses team, department, and company culture around OKR achievement.

Leaderboards

Leaderboards measure goal achievement against other users and enables cheerleading and encouragement driving results.

Goals

Track progress against personal and team goals with powerful at-a-glance dashboard insights.

WellMatch: Evolving the way people shop for health care services

Koombea partnered with Aetna to develop, ship, and iterate an app that has become the linchpin of a successful and profitable new line of business that has little competition in a very competitive market.

Allowing users to shop for medical services rather than insurance providers, WellMatch created both a vital product differentiator that Aetna could use to win more national customer accounts and a new line of business they could monetize.

Measuring Results

The app has already scaled beyond 500k users in 92 middle market accounts and 30 national accounts like Johnson & Johnson, Costo, Nascar, and Nordstrom.

Most importantly, WellMatch has helped strengthen Aetna’s market position by creating a competitive advantage that competitors have been unable to replicate.

AlJazeera: Breaking news from around the world on your favorite device

Extending a global news organization to wearables, tablets, and mobile devices requires the technical expertise to tackle complex integrations while driving performance, the strategic capabilities to manage organizational and editorial complexity, and the user experience design sophistication to ensure the overall experience feels frictionless and intuitive.

Overcoming technology challenges through innovation

Al Jazeera’s original hybrid app was challenging to navigate and did not offer its users the ability to customize their experience. Recognizing this as a critical business challenge, Koombea developed an innovative solution enabling users to aggregate news that interest them most and customize their on-screen experience, in multiple languages.

Samsung: The ultimate multiscreen experience

Samsung's ecosystem of devices, experiences, and applications needed a multiscreen solution. Koombea was tasked with imagining an immersive beta experience powered through Samsung mobile application technology. Koombea built a prototype controlling users' navigation through a suite of content experiences. A multiscreen experience controlled in the palm of their hand.

The prototype premiered at the Samsung Developers Conference with the express hope it would inspire Samsung's global network of engineers to imagine the next generation of multiscreen immersion.

Virtual PBX: Cloud-based enterprise phone services

Dashboard and Customization

User-friendly dashboards provide quick insight into service activity including calls, faxes, and voicemails. While easy-to-use admin controls allow users to customize and configure the system forwarding messages, receiving calls, and updating settings.

Mobile Apps

Virtual PBX for mobile unleashes the power of the platform wherever users need it, untethering it from a fixed location and land line dependency.

E-Commerce Dev for Home Improvement Company

“The quality of their work is great.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Using Ruby on Rails, Koombea migrated an e-commerce site to Shopify Plus. They also created an intermediate platform on the cloud between Shopify and the back office to integrate the transition.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Panama City, Panama
CIO, Do It Center

The transition advocated by Koombea resulted in a massive increase in sales. They exceeded expectations by building a successful and stable platform. The team provides high-quality work accompanied by effective communications.

I’m the innovations manager for a home improvement company with 25 stores in Panama.

What challenge were you trying to address with Koombea?

We recently launched our e-commerce site. We already had an online store, but it was very basic so we started to talk with Koombea to analyze our options. They suggested that we migrate to Shopify Plus so we decided to start this project with them.

They used Ruby on Rails for the development. They created an intermediate platform on the cloud between Shopify and our back office to integrate everything.

There were around 6–8 people involved, each with different expertise.

How did you come to work with Koombea?

I worked in technology development previously and had worked on the other digital projects. I learned what I needed in a technology partner through my experience so when I started analyzing providers, I was clear on what I wanted. I needed someone who could understand the way we worked and the sense of urgency. What I heard from Koombea made me choose them over other providers.

This project cost around $50,000–$60,000.

The project started at the end of November last year and the project has launched. They are still our partners on this and other projects.

The results were excellent. All our expectations were met. We have the most stable e-commerce platform. We had a huge increase of 700% in sales. We made the right decision.

How did Koombea perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Slack and Trello. The communications were very fluid and efficient.

The quality of their work is great. They are very meticulous. Anytime we had a question, we had a call with the team to clear it up.

They are very oriented to the North American market which makes them sometimes manage the Latin American region the same way as they do North America. Sometimes, this created a bit of cultural shock and some complications. It’s not critical, but it’s a barrier that they could refine with the Latin American market.

App and Web Dev for Targeted Healthcare Solution

"I got the results I wanted, which was fantastic."

Mar. 2015 - Mar. 2017

Koombea developed a HIPAA compliant app and a website targeted for parents/caretakers of babies who end up in the neonatal intensive care unit [NICU]. These were cross-platform and with an easy to use UIUX.

UX Strategy & Design Lead, Healthcare Company

Both the design and development team got it to a pixel-perfect functionality. Their communication worked well throughout the project and they delivered the expected results. The engagement with the product increased substantially.

I was the UX strategy and design lead for a healthcare company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Koombea?

We needed an app and website developed that targeted parents/caretakers of babies who end up the neonatal intensive care unit [NICU]. As this is a niche, very targeted market, both the app and the website had to be open, cross platform, and as easy to use as possible.

We had the app distributed to both platforms. We were always thinking about how it was going to play out on Android or iOS.

The parent company decided that the product was good enough, as they were getting the return on investment they wanted, so it stopped being worked on.

I regularly worked with 5 people but mostly with Luis [Senior Web Designer, Koombea]. We were able to really be efficient, as he’d talk to the developers directly—which to me, is the ideal way to have a designer, to have that embedded conversation—and come back, and we’d have a path decided.

How did you come to work with Koombea?

They were already the trusted vendor when I came in. When we were looking at doing more work, it was a no brainer. They’re HIPAA compliant and they meet the restrictions.

We started working together in March 2015 and the work is ongoing.

One of the projects we worked on at the end was redoing the website to target all the questions a parent/caretaker in that situation might have, like if they had been contacted and wanted more information or were ready to sign up. We focused on those 2 things and made the site responsive. Both the design and development team got it to a pixel-perfect functionality. It was exactly what we wanted it to be. The engagement and registration with our product increased substantially after that.

How did Koombea perform from a project management standpoint?

There was never a language issue, and communication worked very well. We worked with Jira, and I helped write tickets, which I was happy with because I could directly specify things and participate in the QA or user acceptance testing. I got the results I wanted, which was fantastic.

It was the combination of having the designers in conversation and being embedded with the developers. There’s not enough companies that do that and do it well.

I would if the opportunity arose.

Multiple Developments for Cargo Transportation Platform

"They’ve been excellent in their management and are very professional."

2015 - Ongoing

Koombea is a strategic partner in the development of a platform for tracking cargo. They’ve been involved since the start with the MVP and have built features such an admin portal and a companion mobile app.

Bogota, Colombia
Founder, Packen

Thanks to their involvement, the platform is not only very user-friendly but has also received many recognitions from the Colombian government and was even featured in Google’s Launchpad. They delivered on time and built a great working relationship while showing sincere interest in the platform's success.

I’m the CEO of Packen, a technology platform that connects the operators within the cargo transportation industry. Communication has always been linear within this ecosystem, but with the available technologies now, we can create real-time communication and transparency for these services by using intermediary tools like the ones that taxi platforms use, which connect drivers and users.

We’re trying to create this community but sometimes there’s a lack of transparency, especially regarding infrastructure, fuel costs, operations, and other informal practices that damage the industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Koombea?

I had the logistics expertise and the financial resources but was lacking a tech partner with the programming knowledge that we needed. I had a clear idea but bringing it to life from a technological perspective while also in a logical and organized way was important for us.

Koombea has been a strategically important partner since the beginning thanks to their knowledge. We created the whole platform with them, including the minimum viable product and the first version of the product. They’ve been excellent in their management and are very professional.

The platform has 3 main fronts: a cargo generator for service requests, a super admin account for internal platform management, and also the portal that we to give transportation companies along with the mobile app that truck drivers use to interact with every service.

The backend was developed using Ruby on Rails, the Android app was created using Java, and the frontend was done using Angular. For the database, we worked with Node, Potluck, Heroku, and Amazon Web Services.

Four main developers were assigned to the core team, but several others were involved depending on the phase we were working on. Designers were involved during the design phase and several architectural geniuses were involved during the architecture phase. We also had quality assurance and web specialists at times.

How did you come to work with Koombea?

When I was first looking for companies, I sent 15 requests for proposal around the world—from San Francisco to India—to understand the market. I didn’t find Koombea since their business development and commercial teams were in San Francisco and New York respectively with the development team here in Colombia. Their initial efforts weren’t focused on Latin America because of pricing issues but since the Colombian market has matured, they are now looking at developing more business in the country.

I know another client of theirs that had a good experience working with them, so I reached out. We had a merit matrix to compare vendors and Koombea really stood out from the beginning. I was also looking for great communication and mutual chemistry and they really had that added value, which was essential to us. Ultimately, I chose them because of their knowledge and the trust they instilled in me.

We have invested between $300,000–$800,000 approximately.

We started working in June 2015 and it is an ongoing collaboration.

A big challenge was to get the user experience right for drivers since it’s a very broad user profile and there’s very limited knowledge on the reality of these drivers in the country. The app had to be very user-friendly, which they accomplished. Their programming knowledge and ability to go step-by-step in a logical way during the coding effort was very valuable.

Their expertise can be seen on the platform and we’ve received several recognitions for it, including one from the Ministry of Telecommunications in Colombia. Google also invited us to participate in their Launchpad, in which they chose 15 entrepreneurs that are innovating in the country.

This year, we won a prize from ProColombia, a government agency that represents exterior commerce and promotes national businesses around the world. They invited us to represent Colombia in the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona, one of the most important mobile technologies fairs. We’ve also been invited to other congresses and universities to present our technology. This was all possible thanks to Koombea’s participation in the project

How did Koombea perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager followed a Scrum model and used several tools such as Slack, Basecamp, and Dashable. We had daily and weekly calls and everything went really well. They met their deliverables and communication was excellent.

They were not only good people but also good managers and always showed genuine interest in the success of my company. Their knowledge, reach, professionalism and structure were essential but they also displayed a human touch in building a great relationship.

Nothing really comes to mind but there are always areas for improvement. Their code is too advanced and I wasn’t able to find other resources to maintain it, but this isn’t related to the quality of the work.

I did get what I paid for but their price is high.
    I’m recommended them a lot.

iOS App Dev for Social Media App Startup

"They did solid work and we've pushed a few updates since then with them."

May. 2017 - Jul. 2017

Koombea collaborated in the development of an iOS social media aggregator mobile application using accelerometers, radio technologies, and various social media API's.

Narraganssett, Rhode Island
CEO, Social Media App Startup

The assigned team did solid work and performed well in terms of communications and meeting all of the proposed deadlines.They showed enthusiasm and curiosity about the project, making it a better overall experience.

Introduce your business and what you do there

I'm the chief executive officer of Tap technologies Incorporated which is a start-up technology company with a sole mobile app product that's a social media aggregator.

What challenge were you trying to address with Koombea?

They were the primary developers for the iOS version of our application.

For this iOS mobile application development collaboration, they work with accelerometers, some radio technologies, various social media API.

I think there was one full-time developer and then one part-time web developer and a part-time graphic designer. And then also a product manager who was not working full-time but worked a great deal on the project.

How did you come to work with Koombea?

I actually was not on the team when that decision was made so I can't speak to the actual process of finding them but I joined the team at the same time they did. My understanding is that we just wanted to release the app quickly and that was the best way to get it done in time to outsource it.

How much have you invested with Koombea?

The project was in the range of $10,000 to $50,000.

May 2017 and it was completed in July 2017.

They did solid work and we've pushed a few updates since then with them. We have an internal development team now we sort of transitioned away from outsourcing and we've pushed a few development updates for improvements and to tailor it more to what we were looking for towards the end. For the most part, they did a good job.

How did Koombea perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed well in terms of communications and meeting deadlines. They used Trello and they used their own Invision boards for the UI work. It was good. We use Slack to communicate. I don't know if they use that internally to manage the project but that was a good platform to use to communicate.

What did you find most impressive about Koombea?

They were very enthusiastic about the project. They would often ask details about it because of curiosity and showed excitement about it, which made it more fun to work with them.

Are there any areas Koombea could improve?

I mean there were a few bugs throughout that we had to identify ourselves as opposed to them identifying them. Their strategy was to basically finish the build almost every day, which meant that a lot of times there were bugs. Maybe spreading the builds out some more to optimize the flow of it and not spend as much time communicating. It's not a huge issue but they probably could have reduced a few hours that way.

They met all the deadlines they proposed. So it was awesome.
    We did have to spend some internal development hours as well in order to get the project ready. But overall it was valuable.
    They were very accommodating and they communicate well with us.
    I would refer them.

App Dev for Music Education Company

"They do very good work, are very conscientious, and want to develop the best product they can for their customers."

Koombea developed iOS and Android music education apps that present rich content with high-resolution video, audio and music notations to its users.

Robert Wallis
Owner, Drum Guru / Bass Guru

At a time when the project was unique, they were very open to ideas. Koombea was able to solve any issues or challenges that would arise with compatibility or iOS upgrades. They were very personable, good to work with, and very professional.

Introduce your business and what you do there

I have two different brand names that use the same developed app, called Drum Guru and Bass Guru. I am the founder and president of both companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Koombea?

The apps are basically teaching devices that present video or audio and music notations. Back when we started it was probably five or six years ago. The sizes of files were a problem. Internet speeds were a lot slower than they are now. We were delivering in an app probably half an hour of high-resolution video. It was a challenge to be able to present that and with confidence, that it would work globally, and in places with either slow internet or a lot of congestion during times of the day. We did a very good job at kind of figuring out a way to deliver all of the content because it was a very rich content app.

They worked with MP audio files and MP5 files for video at that point. For Drum Guru, we started out with both, iOS and Android. We dropped Drum Guru’s Android version probably a year ago. Bass Guru was and remains only iOS.

I had basically two or three main contact people that were involved. The development took quite a long time. There was one main developer. I'm going back I would say five plus years. Then that person changed and I had one main contact person who is still there and still my main contact at Koombea.

How did you come to work with Koombea?

Somebody I knew had done a vocal instruction app similar to what I wanted to do. It was a little more complex with music notations and so forth, but I'd met this person and he was very pleased and showed me the work Koombea did. It looked very good at a time when I was on the market looking for a developer and he recommended me to them. We started speaking and kind of hit it off and we went from there.

How much have you invested with Koombea?

Over $100,000. There's been a number of modifications over the past five years.

While working with them, they were very open to ideas, at a time when we were doing something that was very unique. There were definitely some challenges which they were able to solve and going forward, once the app was out, we were able to solve issues that came up with any compatibility problems and upgrades to iOS. They always were right there. We would troubleshoot in advance any issues that would arise every time Apple decided to change their operating system. They are very good people to work with.

How did Koombea perform from a project management standpoint?

They used a system that was in place and you needed to check back with them again. Once we built the main body of the app, the engine, all the modifications we've done since then, such as updates and upgrades have all been small. So I don't know that there was a magic system in place for those, but definitely, in the beginning, there was.

What did you find most impressive about Koombea?

They were very personable, good to work with, and very professional. There was never an issue of time zone changes or language issues or communications. Jonathan, the CEO is a very bright and innovative young man. I would recommend them to anybody in the future. I think they do very good work, are very conscientious and want to develop the best product they can for their customers.

Are there any areas Koombea could improve?

Not really and that it's why I continue to work with them when I need upgrades. And if I had a new app to build I would definitely go and I would start with them.

Overall Score I wish them good luck. They're good people and they have a good team. I hope things go well for their future.
    I'm thinking way back a number of years and there were sometimes a few of the deadlines would slip.
    I have already recommended them.